PDA

View Full Version : Dispelling the Myth that Kobe had to accept the large contract offer.

3LiftHeatCurse
03-15-2014, 09:38 AM
Since when does being offered something mean you throw common sense out of the window? Does someone tie you up and handcuff you when you are offered something? If your goal is to win championships, and you want to win so badly, and all you have left is 2 seasons AT BEST in your old injured legs, I would play for $1 if it meant I could win 2 more rings and Finals MVP's before my career is done. You know it and I know it.

Here's examples using only Heat players.

In 2005, Shaq turned down bigger contract to help Miami win. Shaq turned it down and accepted $20mil/yr and told Pat to use the extra $$$ to get help to win. Pat Riley actually already offered Shaq a bigger contract, and Shaq TURNED IT DOWN. So this "not if they offer you it" is a cop out excuse for KoMe Bryant.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2122716

"He'll make $20 million in each of the next five seasons in an agreement believed to include incentives. He was to have earned $30.6 million this coming season, but opted out of that deal for a longer-term pact with less money annually."

--------------------------------------

I'll just stick with the Miami Heat and show another player who turned down more money for winning.

Dwyane Wade. He gave up millions and convinced LBJ and Bosh to also, so that the Heat could sign more help. D-Wade is actually making less money than both LBJ and Bosh right now, due to this.

----------------------------

And how about Udonis Haslem, also a Heat player. He turned down giant contracts SEVERAL times now. In 2005, he turned down the Mavericks large contract offer to stay with Miami and win more rings. And he did it again in 2010.

[b]"At the end of the day, everybody makes a pretty decent check playing this game

Vertical-24
03-15-2014, 09:46 AM
You're beating a dead horse, let it go OP.

Rose'sACL
03-15-2014, 09:46 AM
u would have taken it if i was in place of kobe. Unless i have a family like relationship with coach/gm/owner, i am not taking a pay cut.
it makes sense for lebron to take a pay cut as he would make even more money now given that he is a 2 times fmvp. Wade taking less than the best offer he gets would be moronic unless he likes miami and lebron like duncan loves most of spurs organization.
The only thing i have against kobe is that he acts like he cares about the rings and lakers after taking so much money. He is not wrong in taking all that money but his warrior act pisses me off.

3LiftHeatCurse
03-15-2014, 09:48 AM
u would have taken it if i was in place of kobe. Unless i have a family like relationship with coach/gm/owner, i am not taking a pay cut.
it makes sense for lebron to take a pay cut as he would make even more money now given that he is a 2 times fmvp. Wade taking less than the best offer he gets would be moronic unless he likes miami and lebron like duncan loves most of spurs organization.
The only thing i have against kobe is that he acts like he cares about the rings and lakers after taking so much money. He is not wrong in taking all that money but his warrior act pisses me off.

No, I would not.

If I am 36 yr old Kobe Bryant, with injured knees and only have 2 years left on my career, I will play for $1 if the NBA allowed me to, and I would want 2 more rings before I retire to have 7 rings and go out in a blaze of glory.

KoMe is just selfish. Always has been.

Yao Ming's Foot
03-15-2014, 09:55 AM
30 million for 3 years < 20 million for 5 years

Learn to math

3LiftHeatCurse
03-15-2014, 09:57 AM
30 million for 3 years < 20 million for 5 years

Learn to math

25 million for 5 years > 20 million for 5 years

Learn to read

Yao Ming's Foot
03-15-2014, 09:58 AM
No, I would not.

If I am 36 yr old Kobe Bryant, with injured knees and only have 2 years left on my career, I will play for $1 if the NBA allowed me to, and I would want 2 more rings before I retire to have 7 rings and go out in a blaze of glory.

If Kobe wanted to sign for the min to chase a championship why would it be the Lakers? There are better teams already out there than an all 2014 fa squad.

Akrazotile
03-15-2014, 09:58 AM
Fact is, Kobe has made a ton of endorsement money, a ton of money in salary, and with his stature can continue to make good money after his career. Guys like Duncan, Lebron, Nowitzki, even others like Haslem have taken less money in order to continue playing for the chance to win with the organization they've been a part of forever.

Kobe not only took a cap-crippling sum of money, but then has to nerve to continue to force his phony "I'm all about winning, no patience for rebuilding, management needs to get me help blah blah" cliche warrior talk.

The guy has been exposed as a fraud, plain and simple. His stans have some sort of weird bond to this guy who they've never met personally and will defend him to the death against anything. It's just a hilarious sequence of events from the outside. Kobe spits on the organization and the fans, the fans justify it and rush to his side to protect him from cricism.

#Awkward...

Yao Ming's Foot
03-15-2014, 09:59 AM
25 million for 5 years > 20 million for 5 years

Learn to read

"Longer term pact" :facepalm

3LiftHeatCurse
03-15-2014, 10:01 AM
"Longer term pact" :facepalm

That was referring to his old 30/mil yr Laker contract.

His new contract was going to be 25mil/yr for 5 yrs, but Shaq turned Riley's offer down because he wanted to win.

:facepalm

3LiftHeatCurse
03-15-2014, 10:02 AM
Fact is, Kobe has made a ton of endorsement money, a ton of money in salary, and with his stature can continue to make good money after his career. Guys like Duncan, Lebron, Nowitzki, even others like Haslem have taken less money in order to continue playing for the chance to win with the organization they've been a part of forever.

Kobe not only took a cap-crippling sum of money, but then has to nerve to continue to force his phony "I'm all about winning, no patience for rebuilding, management needs to get me help blah blah" cliche warrior talk.

The guy has been exposed as a fraud, plain and simple. His stans have some sort of weird bond to this guy who they've never met personally and will defend him to the death against anything. It's just a hilarious sequence of events from the outside. Kobe spits on the organization and the fans, the fans justify it and rush to his side to protect him from cricism.

#Awkward...

Wow. Great post. I'll keep an eye out for your posts in the future.

and yeah, there seems to be some sort of Stockholm syndrome going on with Laker fans and Kome.

Yao Ming's Foot
03-15-2014, 10:03 AM
That was referring to his old 30/mil yr Laker contract.

His new contract was going to be 25mil/yr for 5 yrs, but Shaq turned Riley's offer down because he wanted to win.

:facepalm

Frontloaded at 30 million? Where exactly is the evidence he turned down more money?

Yao Ming's Foot
03-15-2014, 10:10 AM
I mean it's cool if just want to be a hater but do you guys have to be overflowing with dumb too?

wakencdukest
03-15-2014, 10:18 AM
He could have took less. He's at the end of his career, coming off a major injury, and probably has more money than any other player in the league. If they can't put a decent team around him because of his huge salary, he shouldn't complain.

Real Men Wear Green
03-15-2014, 10:21 AM
This topic is stupid for the simple reason that no one thinks Bryant "had" to accept the contract. The simple reality that no one needs to be getting worked up over is that LA offered him the deal and he said yes.

niko
03-15-2014, 10:23 AM
I would venture to say probably no one on this board has given more than a nanoseconds thought of returning a raise at work because "it benefited the company".

SpecialQue
People are still talking about this? Jesus Christ, let it go already.

wakencdukest
This topic is stupid for the simple reason that no one thinks Bryant "had" to accept the contract. The simple reality that no one needs to be getting worked up over is that LA offered him the deal and he said yes.

They could have offered less and held their ground.

3LiftHeatCurse
03-15-2014, 10:27 AM
I would venture to say probably no one on this board has given more than a nanoseconds thought of returning a raise at work because "it benefited the company".

Kome taking a paycut...... is this decision for winning or for "helping the company" ?

Kome wants to win right?

Your analogy is horrible. How do you even turn your PC on in the morning. The only way your analogy would work, is if I am offered an opportunity to work with Warren Buffet or something, some big time legend that would provide me with PRICELESS connections and experience and wisdom of my industry.... in that case, I would GLADLY give my employer the money back for the chance of that.

In this case, Kome wanted championships, or so he claims? So why didn't he gladly take a paycut? Cause he's always been selfish.

Overrated too. Lakers got him 5 rings with stacked teams, Kome didn't get the Lakers 5 rings.

Yao Ming's Foot
03-15-2014, 10:29 AM

And how does adding 5 million dollar (the amount Shaq supposedly gave up :roll: ) player morph the 2015 Lakers into a championship level team?

3LiftHeatCurse
03-15-2014, 10:32 AM
And how does adding 5 million dollar (the amount Shaq supposedly gave up :roll: ) player morph the 2015 Lakers into a championship level team?

$5 mil a year is an extra top level playoff rotation role player. A Udonis Haslem, a Mike Miller, etc. Huge difference.

And Shaq signed that contract when he was 32 and still healthy. Kome is injured and 36.

Yao Ming's Foot
03-15-2014, 10:34 AM
Kome taking a paycut...... is this decision for winning or for "helping the company" ?

Kome wants to win right?

Your analogy is horrible. How do you even turn your PC on in the morning.

Once again I will ask why would he sign with the Lakers at all if all he really wanted to do was win? Seems like the Spurs and Thunder would be better than any 2014 FA squad.

Yao Ming's Foot
03-15-2014, 10:36 AM
$5 mil a year is an extra top level playoff rotation role player. A Udonis Haslem, a Mike Miller, etc. Huge difference.

And Shaq signed that contract when he was 32 and still healthy. Kome is injured and 36.

So what do you think the Lakers record would be right now if they were lucky enough to have the great udonis Haslam on the squad?:roll:

Quickening
03-15-2014, 10:42 AM
Kobe can accept whatever he wants, more fool Lakers front office... But for him to come out bitching is hilarious, and pretending he mainly cares about winning.

Xover
03-15-2014, 11:04 AM
"The reality is, I'm not going to retire because I want the money,” Nash, who’s owed $9.7 million next season, said in the 11-minute video. “It's honest. We want honest athletes, but at the same time, you're going to have people out there that are going be like, 'Oh man, he's so greedy. He's already made so much money in his career and he's got to take this last little bit.' Yes, I do. I have to take that last little bit. - Steve Nash

Marlo_Stanfield
03-15-2014, 11:30 AM
not really surprised that YMF made a big appearance in this thread:roll: :roll:

VIntageNOvel
03-15-2014, 11:39 AM
did he not taking a paycut? no?

:coleman:

and nothing is wrong for believing he can still win without 2 other max player,
he did it 5 times with one max player (which lakers can still offer)

he criticize the FO, but more because they chose pringles instead of pjax,
and who know what feud he has been witnessing between jimmy and his sister after jerry died and jimmy boy throw a mud on his sister fiancee

blablabla
03-15-2014, 11:41 AM
you do realize lebron not only made the best decision for his basketball career by teaming up with 3 other superstars, but also financially due to Floridas tax advantages over for example new york or illinois
the nba is a business kid

Rose'sACL
03-15-2014, 11:43 AM
you do realize lebron not only made the best decision for his basketball career by teaming up with 3 other superstars, but also financially due to Floridas tax advantages over for example new york or illinois
the nba is a business kid
then why were/are so many people angry at lebron leaving cleveland?
Going by your logic, anyone who hates lebron for leaving the cavs is a manchild.

Nuff Said
03-15-2014, 11:48 AM
Once again I will ask why would he sign with the Lakers at all if all he really wanted to do was win? Seems like the Spurs and Thunder would be better than any 2014 FA squad.
Holy shit why do you think he's furious at the front office and wants mda gone??? It is pretty much a fact that winning is the main thing on Kobe's mind right now but that doesn't mean he wants to be second fiddle to any other superstar. He still wants to be the main option on the team while also being bailed out when his hero ball fails.

VIntageNOvel
03-15-2014, 11:55 AM
and 24 mills isnot your average joe random number,

joe johnson getting 23,2 mills next year, kobe will get 23,5 mills,
Joe johnson getting 24,8 mills the year after, kobe will get 25 mills,

as you can see, the FO make sure kobe become the highest paid player , even by a thin thread

its not about money, its about sending a message to other superstars,
that lakers take care of their franchise player even though they are in decline/injured

blablabla
then why were/are so many people angry at lebron leaving cleveland?
Going by your logic, anyone who hates lebron for leaving the cavs is a manchild.
Well they missed out on a good story, the kid from cleveland bringing a championship to his hometown, also the manner he announced it in wasn't very tasteful
but in the end like i said it's the best decision he could have made in that summer, he won 2 championships, he's playing with his long time friends living in fvcking miami and earning tons of money, i fully understand him and any rational thinking cavs fan should too

longtime lurker
I'll be sure to bump this thread when Lebron doesn't resign for a min contract because he wants to "win"

chazzy
03-15-2014, 11:57 AM
Since when does being offered something mean you throw common sense out of the window? Does someone tie you up and handcuff you when you are offered something? If your goal is to win championships, and you want to win so badly, and all you have left is 2 seasons AT BEST in your old injured legs, I would play for $1 if it meant I could win 2 more rings and Finals MVP's before my career is done. You know it and I know it.

In 2005, Shaq turned down bigger contract to help Miami win. Shaq turned it down and accepted $20mil/yr and told Pat to use the extra $$$ to get help to win. Pat Riley actually already offered Shaq a bigger contract, and Shaq TURNED IT DOWN. So this "not if they offer you it" is a cop out excuse for KoMe Bryant.

"He'll make $20 million in each of the next five seasons in an agreement believed to include incentives. He was to have earned $30.6 million this coming season, but opted out of that deal for a longer-term pact with less money annually."

I'll just stick with the Miami Heat and show another player who turned down more money for winning.

Dwyane Wade. He gave up millions and convinced LBJ and Bosh to also, so that the Heat could sign more help. D-Wade is actually making less money than both LBJ and Bosh right now, due to this.

And how about Udonis Haslem, also a Heat player. He turned down giant contracts SEVERAL times now. In 2005, he turned down the Mavericks large contract offer to stay with Miami and win more rings. And he did it again in 2010.

"At the end of the day, everybody makes a pretty decent check playing this game — but everybody doesn't win a championship," Haslem said.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/heat/2005-07-13-haslem-contract_x.htm

------------------------------------

The key difference between all of these situations and Kobe's is that these players were already in great situations in which they were guaranteed to have success. Why give up 10s of millions because they Lakers MIGHT sign someone other than a max contract? Anyway, if I'm the Lakers I don't even try to get a max contract this summer. No amount of FA moves this off season would put them in championship contention, and an extra $5-$10M in wiggle room wouldn't have changed that.

joeyjoejoe
03-15-2014, 12:01 PM
He could have took less. He's at the end of his career, coming off a major injury, and probably has more money than any other player in the league. If they can't put a decent team around him because of his huge salary, he shouldn't complain.

Well said

Akrazotile
03-15-2014, 12:01 PM
that lakers take care of their franchise player even though they are in decline/injured

Now youre just being corny.

Akrazotile
03-15-2014, 12:03 PM
I'll be sure to bump this thread when Lebron doesn't resign for a min contract because he wants to "win"

The difference is Lebron is the best player in the game and you can build a winning team around him WHILE paying him the max.

The talent required to help Kobe at this point is virtually impossible to acquire when you commit that much salary to a washed up chucker who is the worst defensive player at his position in the game.

VIntageNOvel
03-15-2014, 12:16 PM

:biggums:
they still can put decent team around him, amnesty nash, and you can still get max player, and still have more than enough, in the era where decent player taking paycut like this (and those amnestied player like granger etc), building a stacked team with nearly 40 mills salary should not be too far fetched as long as they dont do something dumb like joe johnson/smoove

and i think kobe would still sign it even if the FO offer him 17-18 mills a year

NoGunzJustSkillz
03-15-2014, 12:26 PM
You're beating a dead horse, let it go OP.
these clowns will be gone by July. :rockon:

NoGunzJustSkillz
03-15-2014, 12:27 PM
:biggums:
they still can put decent team around him, amnesty nash, and you can still get max player, and still have more than enough, in the era where decent player taking paycut like this (and those amnestied player like granger etc), building a stacked team with nearly 40 mills salary should not be too far fetched as long as they dont do something dumb like joe johnson/smoove

and i think kobe would still sign it even if the FO offer him 17-18 mills a year
u can't amnesty nash. only players that signed their contracts before the "new" cba.

IMObjective
03-15-2014, 12:45 PM
No, I would not.

Sounds like you're greedy about glory like how Kobe is about money. Kobe's had more glory and more money than anyone needs in a lifetime already, he went with more money at the end, which leads to the possibility of even more glory if he manages to actually win compared to winning by taking a paycut. You know Kobe still thinks he's the best and still has the ability to lead a team to the championship. You might think he's delusional, but he truly believes in himself. It's not about the money, it's about the glory.

good point, might sound corny but this was probably one of reasons for the huge number. Kobe also wants to send out a message to the other superstars. He doesn't care if people think he's delusional.:kobe:

longtime lurker
03-15-2014, 12:45 PM
The difference is Lebron is the best player in the game and you can build a winning team around him WHILE paying him the max.

The talent required to help Kobe at this point is virtually impossible to acquire when you commit that much salary to a washed up chucker who is the worst defensive player at his position in the game.

:sleeping your troll act is getting stale starface

Lebron currently has more help than any player in the NBA. The Heat make it look easy only because all 3 superstars took pay cuts to join together, the Heat are the exception not the norm.

The Lakers made their offer with cap and building a great team in mind while still taking care of me as a player.

It's as simple as the quote posted above. The Lakers made an offer while still believing they could build a competitive team within the cap. No reason to take a pay cut, if the Lakers didn't think they could build a competitive team then they shouldn't have offered the contract

IMObjective
03-15-2014, 12:46 PM
these clowns will be gone by July. :rockon:
:roll:

Real Men Wear Green
03-15-2014, 01:35 PM
Sure. But they didn't. The end.

AnaheimLakers24
03-15-2014, 01:39 PM
:lebroncry:

The Iron Fist
03-15-2014, 02:31 PM
Kobe did opt for less money. WTF is this about?

wakencdukest
03-15-2014, 02:33 PM
Sure. But they didn't. The end.

Well, that's true, they didn't. And he accepted what they offered, the end. So, why bitch about management now? They paid the shit outta him, he knew it was a rebuild, every player is on a one year contract with cap space in mind, and they go and give Kobe a huge deal. He's already missed an entire season while getting paid 25 mil, and there's no guarantee he'll make it through the first 2 weeks of next season. From a fans viewpoint it really sucks.

Deuce Bigalow
03-15-2014, 02:34 PM
Dispelling the myth that OP is a ******:

longtime lurker
03-15-2014, 02:54 PM
Dispelling the myth that OP is a ******:

Thats not a myth it's the stone cold truth

Real Men Wear Green
03-15-2014, 04:42 PM
Well, that's true, they didn't. And he accepted what they offered, the end. So, why bitch about management now? They paid the shit outta him, he knew it was a rebuild, every player is on a one year contract with cap space in mind, and they go and give Kobe a huge deal. He's already missed an entire season while getting paid 25 mil, and there's no guarantee he'll make it through the first 2 weeks of next season. From a fans viewpoint it really sucks.
This is a fair criticism. I was only responding to the OP's baseless contention that people were saying Bryant was forced to take the money. That made no sense.

3LiftHeatCurse
03-15-2014, 04:47 PM
Sounds like you're greedy about glory like how Kobe is about money. Kobe's had more glory and more money than anyone needs in a lifetime already, he went with more money at the end, which leads to the possibility of even more glory if he manages to actually win compared to winning by taking a paycut. You know Kobe still thinks he's the best and still has the ability to lead a team to the championship. You might think he's delusional, but he truly believes in himself. It's not about the money, it's about the glory.

Except he's complaining in the media about the front office not getting him help, and saying he's all about winning. That's obviously not the case. You can't have it both ways.

3LiftHeatCurse
03-15-2014, 04:49 PM
This is a fair criticism. I was only responding to the OP's baseless contention that people were saying Bryant was forced to take the money. That made no sense.

I have read laker fans saying the same thing, repeating it over and over.

"but the Lakers offered it to him"

red1
03-15-2014, 04:49 PM
Get that $ bean

3LiftHeatCurse
03-15-2014, 04:53 PM
Get that $ bean

No problem, but then stfu about wanting the FO to give you a contender around you, bean.

Calabis
03-15-2014, 05:11 PM
http://allsportseverything.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Kobe-Bryant.jpg

Real Men Wear Green
03-15-2014, 05:19 PM
I have read laker fans saying the same thing, repeating it over and over.

"but the Lakers offered it to him"
Saying it was offered to him is not the same as saying he had to take it.

Doctor Rivers
03-15-2014, 07:30 PM
[QUOTE=3LiftHeatCurse]Since when does being offered something mean you throw common sense out of the window? Does someone tie you up and handcuff you when you are offered something? If your goal is to win championships, and you want to win so badly, and all you have left is 2 seasons AT BEST in your old injured legs, I would play for $1 if it meant I could win 2 more rings and Finals MVP's before my career is done. You know it and I know it.

[b]"At the end of the day, everybody makes a pretty decent check playing this game

niko
03-15-2014, 07:34 PM

Kome wants to win right?

Your analogy is horrible. How do you even turn your PC on in the morning. The only way your analogy would work, is if I am offered an opportunity to work with Warren Buffet or something, some big time legend that would provide me with PRICELESS connections and experience and wisdom of my industry.... in that case, I would GLADLY give my employer the money back for the chance of that.

In this case, Kome wanted championships, or so he claims? So why didn't he gladly take a paycut? Cause he's always been selfish.

Overrated too. Lakers got him 5 rings with stacked teams, Kome didn't get the Lakers 5 rings.
My analogy is not horrible. This is Kobe's job. There is a going wage for it. He gets it. The same like all of us do. Only women question what other people earn and want them to give it back.

Laker4Lyfe
03-15-2014, 11:49 PM
- Steve Nash

:applause:

Soundwave
03-16-2014, 05:35 AM
Don't think Kobe doesn't remember that his wife threatened divorce twice and he has no pre-nup. She could easily take half of his net worth if things go sour in the future and he also lost a ton of money in endorsements from the fall out of the rape case, so he's looking to make some of that back now.

Can't say I blame him.

G-train
03-16-2014, 05:57 AM
Tim Duncan, San Antonio Spurs, 2014 $10,361,446... 2015 $10,000,000

Enough said.

joeyjoejoe
03-16-2014, 05:59 AM
That's Kobe for ya, honestly im glad he took it because seeing lakers trading places with the clippers is bliss

The-Legend-24
03-16-2014, 06:38 AM
"I would play for $1"

GTFO. :oldlol:

The-Legend-24
03-16-2014, 06:42 AM
Tim Duncan, San Antonio Spurs, 2014 $10,361,446... 2015 $10,000,000

Enough said.
Dude has been a role player on his team for how long? a role player making that is way too much.

Averages 11 & 9, and his team still wins 60+ games year after year. :oldlol:

joeyjoejoe
03-16-2014, 08:05 AM
Dude has been a role player on his team for how long? a role player making that is way too much.

Old duncan has atleast as much positive impact on the game as old kobe, gotta remember points per game ain't everything lol

ForeverHeat
03-16-2014, 08:13 AM
Kobe aint about winning anymore. He got old, and already has his rings so now hes all bout that talk and no longer walking the walk.

MVBallin2K
03-16-2014, 08:48 AM
This is why some people will never be millionaires. If you would play for $1 in the NBA, then not only would you be an idiot but you would also earn the hatred of every other player in the league.

You're essentially saying that you'll work for cheap so owners and GM's can say "one of the highest grossing players in the world is playing for pennies, why should we pay you more than him?"

How do people even know that Kobe taking less money would even build a good team? Last years team was thought to be dominant with the talent at the starting level and failed because it was the wrong combination of players despite the talent. I'll trust Mitch before I trust a random poster on a message board to know what is necessary for a team to win.

Kobe's selfish though, he just wants that cheddar all to himself. Nevermind that he's personally paid the salary of laid off Lakers staff in the past. Nevermind that he spends money helping the homeless in LA. Kome just wants his money for himself and ripped the Lakers off despite them offering him the deal.

joeyjoejoe
03-16-2014, 09:26 AM
Ah so mitch thought it was necessary to overpay Kobe to win ofcourse it all makes sense now

Bandito
03-16-2014, 09:32 AM
So he accepted the same amount of money as Shaq, big deal...

Real Men Wear Green
03-16-2014, 09:33 AM
Ah so mitch thought it was necessary to overpay Kobe to win ofcourse it all makes sense now
It may have been Buss's idea, not Kupchak's, but whoever is responsible the fact of the matter is they offered the money. Bryant didn't even have to fight for it. Didn't even hit free agency, in fact this deal is now months old.

T_L_P
03-16-2014, 09:34 AM

Defensive anchor, averaged 18/10/3/1/3 in just 30.1 minutes last season, made All-NBA First Team, and was the best player on his team during last year's Finals.

Yeah, such a role player :facepalm

And his lowest PPG average was 13.4, and that was on 28 minutes per game :facepalm

Whilst Kobe leads his stacked team to the 7th seed with the refs help :facepalm

Bandito
03-16-2014, 09:35 AM
If it was me I would gladly take it. I don't know why people are complaining about his money when it is his money. At the end the NBA is a business. So what if the Lakers sucks...it won't affect my life one bit. Let the man get his money he deserves it.

Yao Ming's Foot
03-16-2014, 09:35 AM
Defensive anchor, averaged 18/10/3/1/3 in just 30.1 minutes last season, made All-NBA First Team, and was the best player on his team during last year's Finals.

Yeah, such a role player :facepalm

Did he sign the contract last season?:facepalm

T_L_P
03-16-2014, 09:38 AM
Did he sign the contract last season?:facepalm

What does that have to do with anything? The guy called Duncan a role player and I established that he was anything but that.

Yao Ming's Foot
03-16-2014, 09:40 AM
If it was me I would gladly take it. I don't know why people are complaining about his money when it is his money. At the end the NBA is a business. So what if the Lakers sucks...it won't affect my life one bit. Let the man get his money he deserves it.

Notice that the haters can't explain specifically what difference it makes? If Kobe takes less who is added on the team and what difference does it make?

Yao Ming's Foot
03-16-2014, 09:43 AM
What does that have to do with anything? The guy called Duncan a role player and I established that he was anything but that.

His play now isn't relevant to his play at the time of his contract extension.

T_L_P
03-16-2014, 09:49 AM
His play now isn't relevant to his play at the time of his contract extension.

Again, I didn't once mention contracts (either Kobe's or Duncan's).

The guy called Duncan a role player, averaging 11 and 9...and I simply pointed out he's wrong. He's been always been the defensive anchor and he's never averaged less than 13.5 PPG. In fact, his numbers have generally been around 15/10/2.5/2 in 30 or so minutes. Those aren't role player numbers, and anybody who has watched Duncan play would not his impact on the game far exceeds role player status.

Also, he was inferring that Duncan shouldn't be making 10 million right now, which is a load of horse shit

Yao Ming's Foot
03-16-2014, 09:56 AM
Again, I didn't once mention contracts (either Kobe's or Duncan's).

The guy called Duncan a role player, averaging 11 and 9...and I simply pointed out he's wrong. He's been always been the defensive anchor and he's never averaged less than 13.5 PPG. In fact, his numbers have generally been around 15/10/2.5/2 in 30 or so minutes. Those aren't role player numbers, and anybody who has watched Duncan play would not his impact on the game far exceeds role player status.

The whole point of this thread is the contracts. I know you think you are proving something by posting in how few games/minutes Duncan is putting up decent stats but all it proves is how much the Spurs don't have to rely on Duncan to continue to win. You'd have a better argument if Duncan was pushing 2013 Kobe minutes.

T_L_P
03-16-2014, 10:02 AM
The whole point of this thread is the contracts. I know you think you are proving something by posting in how few games/minutes Duncan is putting up decent stats but all it proves is how much the Spurs don't have to rely on Duncan to continue to win. You'd have a better argument if Duncan was pushing 2013 Kobe minutes.

This thread is about contracts, but the post I was replying to wasn't.

I was merely pointing out that Duncan is not a role player...which he obvious isn't. If Duncan is a role player so is 95% of the league, including guys like Bosh and Lopez and Pau, which, again, is not true.

I have no position on Kobe's contract. Who knows how well he will play next season? He obviously brings in more than that to the franchise. However, Kobe cannot say all he cares about is winning, otherwise he would have taken a pay cut.

Yao Ming's Foot
03-16-2014, 10:05 AM
This thread is about contracts, but the post I was replying to wasn't.

I was merely pointing out that Duncan is not a role player...which he obvious isn't.

I have no position on Kobe's contract. Who knows how well he will play next season? He obviously brings in more than that to the franchise. However, Kobe cannot say all he cares about is winning, otherwise he would have taken a pay cut.

Right. He should have signed with the Spurs for the min. Otherwise it was all lip service. :facepalm

Quickening
03-16-2014, 10:06 AM
Kobe aint about winning anymore. He got old, and already has his rings so now hes all bout that talk and no longer walking the walk.
This.

DMAVS41
03-16-2014, 10:28 AM

Or it could just be that having a player capable of anchoring an elite defense while giving you like 15/10/3...and also a great leader and teammate...is more valuable than a "me first" offensive minded, ball dominant wing player that doesn't even try to play defense anymore.

Could be that as well...no doubt Duncan has had better and more consistent teams for regular season success than Kobe, but I think it's time we start questioning how important the ability of Duncan to be so good without the ball in his hands...and anchor great defenses still...and be a selfless teammate that is willing to do what is best for the team....how much that matters...

DMAVS41
03-16-2014, 10:30 AM
Right. He should have signed with the Spurs for the min. Otherwise it was all lip service. :facepalm

So you really think if Dirk were to sign a 25 million dollar a year contract this off-season...he would have the right to go after management for not getting him a championship level squad?

Come on now...Dirk would have every right to get the money, but he can't then turn around and act like it's all about winning or blame the higher ups for not doing their job....unless he was going hard on them for giving him his 25 million...LOL

Yao Ming's Foot
03-16-2014, 10:53 AM
So you really think if Dirk were to sign a 25 million dollar a year contract this off-season...he would have the right to go after management for not getting him a championship level squad?

Come on now...Dirk would have every right to get the money, but he can't then turn around and act like it's all about winning or blame the higher ups for not doing their job....unless he was going hard on them for giving him his 25 million...LOL

Kobe's contract extension goes in place next season. The Lakers are terrible right now. His beef wasn't about high price talent. It was about "the culture". You don't need even more cap space than enough to sign Lebron James to a maximum contract to put Jeanie Buss in charge and hire Tom Thibodeau.

Yao Ming's Foot
03-16-2014, 10:55 AM
Or it could just be that having a player capable of anchoring an elite defense while giving you like 15/10/3...and also a great leader and teammate...is more valuable than a "me first" offensive minded, ball dominant wing player that doesn't even try to play defense anymore.

Could be that as well...no doubt Duncan has had better and more consistent teams for regular season success than Kobe, but I think it's time we start questioning how important the ability of Duncan to be so good without the ball in his hands...and anchor great defenses still...and be a selfless teammate that is willing to do what is best for the team....how much that matters...

Yeah how much does it matter? It apparently matters 25% less. You savvy? We don't have to play hypotheticals on whether Kobe Bryant ball wins championships.