PDA

View Full Version : Bill Russell's monster Double-Triple-Double his final NCAA Championship

jongib369
03-15-2014, 12:19 PM
3/24/1956 Iowa vs San Francisco NCAA Championship Game... a young Bill Russell tallies an unbelievable 26pts 27reb 20blks 3stl 1a ...a double-triple-double (unofficial as blocked shots are not a recognized stat at that time). Russell completely shuts down the lane even blocking shots that are released behind him showcasing his incredible reflexes, anticipation and timing.

http://youtu.be/FnjC0nm2q5U

http://ballislife.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/bill-russell-wearing-rings.jpg

:biggums:

Had to post it cavs...

dunksby
03-15-2014, 12:31 PM
This era's Hasheem Thabeet

: D

Andrei89
03-15-2014, 12:39 PM
This era's Hasheem Thabeet

: D

This

Psileas
03-15-2014, 12:43 PM
Pure hustle. 40+ offenses disrupted or created. :bowdown:
And that's in an NCAA that didn't have shot clocks. I wonder what the number of his total blocking %'s was.
Almost makes his 26 points an afterthought.
Gargantuan game.

Psileas
03-15-2014, 12:52 PM
Btw, am I the only one who is annoyed by people who, in every video, ask "what's the name of the song"? And much more so when it comes to the much inferior musical choices of other video mixers.

RoseCity07
03-15-2014, 12:55 PM
Weak era for double triple doubles.

215Philly
03-15-2014, 12:59 PM
Reminds me of Asik :applause:

LAZERUSS
03-15-2014, 01:14 PM
How about Russell's domination of an Oregon St team that had TWO seven-footers, including the 7-3 Swede Halbrook in the '55 NCAA's?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7LqNAletFU

29 pts and 16 rebounds and just pure intimidation on the defensive end. Oh, and Russell outshot Halbrook from the field by an 11-13 to 7-19 margin.

uber
03-15-2014, 01:18 PM
How about Russell's domination of an Oregon St team that had TWO seven-footers, including the 7-3 Swede Halbrook in the '55 NCAA's?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7LqNAletFU

29 pts and 16 rebounds and just pure intimidation on the defensive end.

lol @ the FT's

fpliii
03-15-2014, 01:32 PM
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

jongib369
03-15-2014, 03:32 PM

Milbuck
03-15-2014, 03:33 PM
Forgot to log out?

mattevans11
03-15-2014, 03:35 PM
correct me if i am wrong, but a "double triple" would mean two stats above 100?????????? 100 points, 100 rebounds?

jongib369
03-15-2014, 03:35 PM
Forgot to log out?

:biggums: :biggums: :biggums:
:biggums: :crazysam::biggums:

Milbuck
03-15-2014, 03:36 PM
correct me if i am wrong, but a "double triple" would mean two stats above 100?????????? 100 points, 100 rebounds?
Double-triple-double, not double triple.

A double-triple-double is a regular triple-double x2. So 10-10-10 x2 = 20-20-20.

Milbuck
03-15-2014, 03:39 PM
:biggums: :crazysam::biggums:
I'm gonna take that as a "**** you you small dicked little shit no I didn't forget to log out, I just wanted to bump this thread"

In which case

:yaohappy:

SHAQisGOAT
03-15-2014, 03:39 PM
:bowdown:

buddha
03-15-2014, 03:46 PM
don't even start with this crap.

Javale McGee would put up Wilt Chamberlain numbers in the 60's.

Bill Russell is a 10/10/3 guy at best in todays league.

CavaliersFTW
03-15-2014, 03:47 PM
don't even start with this crap.

Javale McGee would put up Wilt Chamberlain numbers in the 60's.
http://i.imgur.com/xFW5pYf.gif

Milbuck
03-15-2014, 03:56 PM
http://i.imgur.com/xFW5pYf.gif
Just watched that 34 minute Wilt scouting tool video you posted 5 days ago. Good work man, that was incredible.

CavaliersFTW
03-15-2014, 04:02 PM
Just watched that 34 minute Wilt scouting tool video you posted 5 days ago. Good work man, that was incredible.
thanks :cheers: I am about to shift gears and put some focus on Oscar Robertson for my next few highlights/projects

JimmyMcAdocious
03-15-2014, 04:25 PM
Look at the tournament field. What happened to almost all of those teams? I don't even recognize like 10% of the list as actual academic institutions. Do those colleges even still exist?

Crazy how sports culture changes.

BoutPractice
03-15-2014, 05:17 PM
Love those college clips. You can see that he's still young and undisciplined but at the same time you get a better understanding of how much of an athletic specimen he was. In recent years people have raved about Anthony Davis and Nerlens Noel but Russell ticks all the boxes of this supposedly "new age" bigman prototype: a 6-10 player with an impossibly long wingspan who runs and jumps like a guard. It's funny how people think he'd somehow be less "special" nowadays when AD goes number 1 in the draft, Noel was supposed to go number 1 until he got injured, and the less athletic, generally inferior across the board Joakim Noah gets serious MVP consideration.

cuad
03-15-2014, 05:41 PM
That block at 1:00 is incredible.

Random_Guy
03-15-2014, 05:46 PM
beautiful hookshot

NumberSix
03-15-2014, 05:47 PM
Meh. I could put up the same stats against those bums.

jongib369
03-15-2014, 06:11 PM
beautiful hookshot
For real, and they actually played good D on it. Hopefully some kid will come around one of these days and use it just as much as the old timers.

BoutPractice
03-15-2014, 06:13 PM
I never understood why people thought it was "uncool". Free throws I can get it, but the hook shot is a beautiful weapon as well as being effective.

Psileas
03-15-2014, 06:16 PM
Not sure about the validity of 2-3 of these blocks (=whether or not he touched the ball), but wow, when the game moved on in the 2nd half, I was like "wtf, he's sure blocked some shots here and there, but he's a long way from 20", then followed that blocking clinic in the 2nd half, including blocking like 6 shots within 20 seconds of just 2 plays. Demoralizing. :oldlol:

fpliii
03-15-2014, 06:24 PM
That's just unfair to the opposition.

Random_Guy
03-15-2014, 06:44 PM
For real, and they actually played good D on it. Hopefully some kid will come around one of these days and use it just as much as the old timers.
its a shame that its no underutilized these days. I use it a lot as a guard and its literally unstoppable. If a 7footer use it it would be even more insane lol.

La Frescobaldi
03-15-2014, 09:35 PM
that fellow with the wicked speed and the dazzling passes.... looked up the Dons roster; his name was Hal Perry. Never heard of him lol

He went on to play for the Globetrotters and Abe Saperstein, the owner of the Globetrotters (and a real legend in basketball), told him he was too smart to stay with the Globies and so he proceeded to pay Hal's way through law school.... he ran a private practice for years. This according to Wikipedia.

But Abe was just like that. Saperstein was the guy who told a bunch of high school kids standing around the court after a Globetrotter game one afternoon that the best way for a young man to get ahead was to go to college. One guy spoke up and said he was going to play in the NBA, and Abe looked at him and replied "after college, young man. After college. You hear me? You get to school, that's the right way." Saperstein was darn near a midget, couldn't have been 5'6" in platform shoes on his best day, but he had a power, a personal presence, that made you respect what he had to say. Every one of those kids went on to graduate from college. That kid was my friend Joey who became a realtor and later moved into small business loan banking in Philly and he never forgot the look in Saperstein's eye that day.
None of us did.

The-Legend-24
03-15-2014, 09:57 PM
Not even top 20.

fpliii
03-15-2014, 10:00 PM
Not even top 20.
Do you ever contribute anything other than unwitty one-liners or emoticons?

Trolls like you make the Lakers fanbase look bad, c'mon dude.

Psileas
03-15-2014, 10:17 PM
The-Legend-24

"Legend", lol...Not even top-100.

CavaliersFTW
04-01-2014, 02:10 AM
bump

bdreason
04-01-2014, 02:30 AM
GOAT level anticipation. :bowdown:

Deuce Bigalow
04-01-2014, 03:03 AM
The greatest of his era.

CavaliersFTW
07-19-2014, 05:50 PM
Dat shocking flexibility and reflexes on defense :bowdown:

TheMarkMadsen
07-19-2014, 06:22 PM
Most of the "great defense" from Russell in this video are just bad misses and poor offense from the other team.

Russell also has absolutely no post game in this video, the guys he is playing against are incredibly slow, with no speed or athleticism that we see from players in in the 80s and on.

Not impressed, especially by the awful fundementals shown by the opposing players.

Early in the video Russell blocks a shot while completely out of position... The only reason this happens is because of the poor offense and the inability of the player to simply switch hands like any player today would.

Was Russell really getting points counted for him when he would jump and grab the rim after his player shot it?

Look at 3:38.. Russell gets beat and the only reason he gets the blocks is because if the god awful footwork from the offensive player.

None of these offensive players can make a contested shot, it's pathetic. Some of the defense Russell is playing would be considered average by today's standards.. Players don't simply just jump and refuse to change their shot mid air these days. Russel literally lets a guy go past him and the dude just misses a lay up

KobesFinger
07-19-2014, 06:24 PM
Only 1 assist? Ballhog

Lebronxrings
07-19-2014, 06:31 PM
Most of the "great defense" from Russell in this video are just bad misses and poor offense from the other team.

Russell also has absolutely no post game in this video, the guys he is playing against are incredibly slow, with no speed or athleticism that we see from players in in the 80s and on.

Not impressed, especially by the awful fundementals shown by the opposing players.

Early in the video Russell blocks a shot while completely out of position... The only reason this happens is because of the poor offense and the inability of the player to simply switch hands like any player today would.

Was Russell really getting points counted for him when he would jump and grab the rim after his player shot it?

Look at 3:38.. Russell gets beat and the only reason he gets the blocks is because if the god awful footwork from the offensive player.
i usually don't agree with kobrick fans but... this.

aj1987
07-19-2014, 06:38 PM

None of these offensive players can make a contested shot, it's pathetic. Some of the defense Russell is playing would be considered average by today's standards.. Players don't simply just jump and refuse to change their shot mid air these days. Russel literally lets a guy go past him and the dude just misses a lay up

I can't believe that I agreeing with you. :applause:

Future repped.

fpliii
07-19-2014, 07:28 PM
This forum is frustrating as hell sometimes, ugh.

G.O.A.T
07-19-2014, 07:34 PM
This forum is frustrating as hell sometimes, ugh.

It's a weak era for intelligence.

Soundwave
07-19-2014, 07:36 PM
What the hell is it with the guards all trying to do scoop layups back in the day? You might as well just hand the ball over to a shot blocking big on a platter.

Big respect for pioneers like Russell for making the game what it is today, but at the same basketball has evolved a long way from that. Both of those teams would get wrecked by a NCAA champion squad today.

fpliii
07-19-2014, 07:45 PM
What the hell is it with the guards all trying to do scoop layups back in the day? You might as well just hand the ball over to a shot blocking big on a platter.

Big respect for pioneers like Russell for making the game what it is today, but at the same basketball has evolved a long way from that. Both of those teams would get wrecked by a NCAA champion squad today.
Basketball's evolved a ton in the last twenty years or so too. I started watching in Shaq's rookie year, the differences are ridiculous (and IMO the differences are far, far more pronounced than games from the late 60s vs those in the mid 80s). Elimination of illegal defense (in no small part due to Thibs), proper spacing from the use of three, saturation of the league with international talent (not until 10 years ago, huge spike in the few years preceding):

http://i.imgur.com/jCfHBEX.png