PDA

View Full Version : The 'Delay of Game' rule needs to be looked at

Railgun
03-16-2014, 08:56 PM
We all saw what happened. Obviously refs need to swallow their whistles before it impacts a really important game.

NumberSix
03-16-2014, 09:04 PM
Agreed. It's a stupid rule that only wastes more time. The complete opposite of what it was meant to do.

KyleKong
03-16-2014, 09:06 PM
Dwight actually bounced the ball to the ref.

Nice guys finish last Dwight.

navy
03-16-2014, 09:08 PM
Yep. That was the right call, but terrible decision by the refs to call it.

sportjames23
03-16-2014, 09:18 PM
It was a dumb call, but players just need to leave the damn ball alone after their team scores. Let it go and get back on defense. Don't give the refs any excuses to blow the whistle.

NumberSix
03-16-2014, 09:49 PM
Yep. That was the right call, but terrible decision by the refs to call it.
I couldn't disagree more. I want the refs to just go by the book. I don't want these idiots using their own discretion whenever the feel like it.

The problem is the stupid rule. Not the enforcement of it.

russwest0
03-16-2014, 09:52 PM
I couldn't disagree more. I want the refs to just go by the book. I don't want these idiots using their own discretion whenever the feel like it.

The problem is the stupid rule. Not the enforcement of it.

Nah, he's right. I've seen plenty of players do delay of game but refs don't call it. As of now it's just another tool for refs to be inconsistent as hell with and possibly biased with.

Refs have way too much control of the game as it stands today. The league could help them out some by actually using their flopping fining system though.

chazzy
03-16-2014, 09:55 PM
It is absurd. They called it a lot early on this season, backed off.. then call it late in a close game. It better not affect a playoff game

9erempiree
03-16-2014, 09:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=970Z_i9fAlY

yobore
03-16-2014, 09:58 PM
Agreed. It's a stupid rule that only wastes more time. The complete opposite of what it was meant to do.
It's not made to speed up the game, it's made to keep teams from preventing fast breaks after scores. It doesn't do the opposite of what it was meant to do because when they call it the fast break has already been interrupted

Derka
03-16-2014, 10:02 PM
Nah, he's right. I've seen plenty of players do delay of game but refs don't call it. As of now it's just another tool for refs to be inconsistent as hell with and possibly biased with.

Refs have way too much control of the game as it stands today. The league could help them out some by actually using their flopping fining system though.

That's my problem with it. Its just another thing they have at their discretion to have their own personal impact on a game should they feel like it...with no repercussions.

sundizz
03-17-2014, 12:16 AM
I've watched maybe 90+ games this season (2 games or more a day usually). I gotta say...they have been SUPER consistent with it. They never let a player get away with it. In all the games I've watched I've seen them mess up, or ignore it, 3 times. And that was usually because something else occurred.

For all those people saying it has happened hella times, I'd challenge anyone to find 10+ instances of it happening league wide over the course of this entire season.

I think people are just hopping on what JVG said about it being called inconsistently. It's not. It's being called hella consistently.

Dubs510
03-17-2014, 12:28 AM
Delay of game calls delays the game even more :banghead:

HoopsFanNumero1
03-17-2014, 12:29 AM
Delay of game calls delays the game even more :banghead:

Its purpose isn't to make the game faster.

Dubs510
03-17-2014, 12:37 AM
Its purpose isn't to make the game faster.

well yeah. the new rule states if they pass the ref the ball its delay of game, then they call a warning and then a T and it ruins the game.

NumberSix
03-17-2014, 01:29 AM
I've watched maybe 90+ games this season (2 games or more a day usually). I gotta say...they have been SUPER consistent with it. They never let a player get away with it. In all the games I've watched I've seen them mess up, or ignore it, 3 times. And that was usually because something else occurred.

For all those people saying it has happened hella times, I'd challenge anyone to find 10+ instances of it happening league wide over the course of this entire season.

I think people are just hopping on what JVG said about it being called inconsistently. It's not. It's being called hella consistently.
This.

People are acting like refs are just picking and choosing when they want to call this. I seriously don't think I've seen it go uncalled a single time this season. Oden gets hit with it pretty much everytime he gets a dunk.

JohnFreeman
03-17-2014, 01:39 AM
They need to look at officiating as a whole.

NumberSix
03-17-2014, 02:02 AM
They need to look at officiating as a whole.
I was expecting some white text about how they officiate Durant and Harden. Fcuk those guys.

JohnFreeman
03-17-2014, 02:04 AM
I was expecting some white text about how they officiate Durant and Harden. Fcuk those guys.
Well, those two can certainly be used as evidence.

Dat white text haha

brantonli
03-17-2014, 07:24 AM
This.

People are acting like refs are just picking and choosing when they want to call this. I seriously don't think I've seen it go uncalled a single time this season. Oden gets hit with it pretty much everytime he gets a dunk.

I do understand the delay of game call, but when it gets to the point that it potentially impacts the win-loss of a game? That's when the impact of this rule goes too far. When technical foul and 2 delay of game calls are equal in terms of impact on points, then it's kind of absurd.

ZenMaster
03-17-2014, 09:37 AM
well yeah. the new rule states if they pass the ref the ball its delay of game, then they call a warning and then a T and it ruins the game.

Just don't grab the ball and pass it to the ref? The offensive play is over after a score, a player now on defense has no business taking the ball and giving it to the ref. The only reason they want to is to prevent a quick outlet and break.

Here you'll see a team working on their break right after the other teams fast break, if refs let players grab the ball after a score this whole concept and time spent on it is ruined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=D7VQwIE-EwQ

I do understand the delay of game call, but when it gets to the point that it potentially impacts the win-loss of a game? That's when the impact of this rule goes too far. When technical foul and 2 delay of game calls are equal in terms of impact on points, then it's kind of absurd.

If a player does it in the first quarter taking away a possible score, it has already impacted the win-loss outcome of the game.

gts
03-17-2014, 11:13 AM
Just don't touch the ball... At the rate they were calling it early in the season to drive the point across if you're still doing it at this time of the year you're an idiot

KrizMiz
03-17-2014, 01:13 PM
if he would have thrown the ball to the inbound player the ref wouzldnt call it, but he threw it to the ref, what is a delay of game!

right call, right decision!

Levity
03-17-2014, 01:26 PM
maybe im not watching enough game, but ive only seen maybe 2 or 3 instances where it wasnt called. but those times in question, i wasnt even sure if the player touched the ball or not.

i understand the frustration with the calls, but as long as the refs are calling it consistently (which i believe they are doing) then there are no warrants for complaints.

Genaro
03-17-2014, 01:31 PM
It's a stupidy rule but by now players should know better and don't touch the freaking ball.

Referee in yesterday's game was a mess, a Heat biased mess.

SCdac
03-17-2014, 01:59 PM
I'm fine with the rule if it's applied correctly (ie. a player kicks the ball toward the sideline or something blatant). But it shouldn't be called if a player tosses the ball directly to the ref standing next to the player on the baseline (like it was called against Dwight yesterday). That's not cool. And it happens all the time, it's common

ZenMaster
03-17-2014, 02:10 PM
I'm fine with the rule if it's applied correctly (ie. a player kicks the ball toward the sideline or something blatant). But it shouldn't be called if a player tosses the ball directly to the ref standing next to the player on the baseline (like it was called against Dwight yesterday). That's not cool. And it happens all the time, it's common

Why is it OK for a player to deliberately delay the game by passing the ball to the ref after a score?

It used to happen all the time, like every time the last few years. But that doesn't mean it isn't a stupid dynamic to let a defensive player pass the ball to the ref to begin with.

Myth
03-17-2014, 07:57 PM
It only needs to be called consistently. You can't get rid of it, because players will abuse it. Modifications are fine if they make sense, but either way, it needs to be a consistent call.

Levity
03-17-2014, 08:03 PM
But it shouldn't be called if a player tosses the ball directly to the ref standing next to the player on the baseline (like it was called against Dwight yesterday). That's not cool. And it happens all the time, it's common

The whole point of the rule is so players dont do that. There is no instance that the opposing team needs to touch the ball after a made shot.

NumberSix
03-17-2014, 08:06 PM
It only needs to be called consistently. You can't get rid of it, because players will abuse it. Modifications are fine if they make sense, but either way, it needs to be a consistent call.
It is consistent.