PDA

View Full Version : What team would you purchase if you won $1 Billion.

RightToCensor
03-17-2014, 08:10 AM
http://www.forbes.com/nba-valuations/list/

I'd purchase the Pelicans just because of their cheap price and high potential superstar.

I'd also get the Rockets just to own my favorite team.

fiddy
03-17-2014, 08:12 AM
id pay 10k some street thug to put a few of them lead things in your skull

Foster5k
03-17-2014, 08:12 AM
None.

/thread

Bandito
03-17-2014, 08:13 AM
I would buy any franchise and bring that to Puerto Rico. :rockon:

SHABBA
03-17-2014, 08:13 AM
Hawks.

BlazerRed
03-17-2014, 08:14 AM
I'd prefer to blow it on more lucrative opportunities, like a fire-breathing, unicycle riding midget circus.

Joyner82reload
03-17-2014, 08:26 AM
I'd buy the Houston Astros. Everyone loves baseball in Houston, regardless if they're a winner or not. Basketball is a tertiary sport in Texas, and the Texans blow donkey dick. You can literally field scrubs that make up 1 of the worst teams in MLB history and still make $100M in a year. They proved this last year.

This is assuming we're talking about actually buying a sports franchise, I wouldn't go anywhere near an NBA franchise. The sport already hit its peak and it will likely never get back there. I wouldn't be surprised to see it become irrelevant, well not irrelevant but like current NHL status, by the year 2035

Random_Guy
03-17-2014, 08:27 AM
none/will bang a million 10s

chocolatethunder
03-17-2014, 08:27 AM
http://www.forbes.com/nba-valuations/list/

I'd purchase the Pelicans just because of their cheap price and high potential superstar.

I'd also get the Rockets just to own my favorite team.
None because it's not that lucrative being an owner and teams can still lose money easily. Because a team is valued at a number doesn't mean you're making money. You'd have to sell the team in order to make money. I'd put my money in something worthwhile. NBA teams are hobbies for billionaires not mney makers.

RightToCensor
03-17-2014, 08:43 AM
This is hypothetical if you wanted a team

JohnFreeman
03-17-2014, 08:45 AM
OH REALLY

maybeshewill13
03-17-2014, 08:53 AM
:biggums:

SexSymbol
03-17-2014, 08:54 AM
I'd take something that will guarantee to bring me more money, LAL/NYK/MIA/CHI

brantonli
03-17-2014, 08:59 AM
OH REALLY

Aren't most franchises money-loosing? Regardless of the accounting used by the NBA, it's pretty hard to have a professional sports team as a profit machine unless you're a Premier league or the Lakers/Knicks

AMERVET
03-17-2014, 09:15 AM
I'd buy the Pels, Fire Demps and Williams. Bring in George Carl. Offer Saints fans discounts on Saints tickets if they commit to at least 20 games. I'd renovate the arena, raise the ceiling, bring in the biggest HD Scoreboard, Light up the court real nice, darken up the fan seating a little to get everyone focused on the court. Upgrade all of the fan seats a lil something like this throughout the arena.
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/0921/play_r_chairs_mb_576.jpg
I'd also go ahead and pony up some cash to book Amazing halftime shows. I would definitely spend on fan experience in order to keep and or attract fans. I would change sponsors and rename the arena "Pride Arena" I'd probable exhausts about 3/4 of my wealth, just making going to a Pels game the thing to do. I would pay for winners on every level. And if I go bankrupt, everyone will at least know I tried.

niko
03-17-2014, 09:29 AM
If you win a billion, you get $500M. Most team alternate between gaining or losingmoney so unless you are going to run it like a cheap ass to ensure being in the black there are very few options

AMERVET
03-17-2014, 09:53 AM
If you win a billion, you get $500M. Most team alternate between gaining or losingmoney so unless you are going to run it like a cheap ass to ensure being in the black there are very few options
I say go broke trying to create a winner. if you get lucky and win, money will follow. Miami is an example of spending to win and watching your fortune change. I use to get good heat seats for less than $100. I now laugh at my last sentence.

Just2McFly
03-17-2014, 10:58 AM
easily the raps

ralph_i_el
03-17-2014, 11:14 AM
Aren't most franchises money-loosing? Regardless of the accounting used by the NBA, it's pretty hard to have a professional sports team as a profit machine unless you're a Premier league or the Lakers/Knicks

nope. The value of teams keeps increasing. Even if teams lose revenue (which they usually say but don't prove), the owners are still making money off the increase in team value. That's called "capital gains" and you don't pay taxes on it until you cash out.

Derka
03-17-2014, 11:32 AM
I wouldn't buy a team, but I would absolutely try to outright own one of the suites overlooking center-court at the TD Garden for my use whenever I want for Celtics and Bruins games; they can sell the tickets for the nights I don't want to go.

Not sure if they do that, but that'd be awesome.

Random_Guy
03-17-2014, 11:38 AM
I wouldn't buy a team, but I would absolutely try to outright own one of the suites overlooking center-court at the TD Garden for my use whenever I want for Celtics and Bruins games; they can sell the tickets for the nights I don't want to go.

Not sure if they do that, but that'd be awesome.
if you had 1 bil you wouldnt care about not being able to go to the games lol

D-FENS
03-17-2014, 12:04 PM
It makes the most sense to buy one of the cheaper teams and operate them at a profit. Most of the top franchises are worth more than a billion in my mind.

So I'd probably buy the Milwaukee Bucks. I'd help build a new arena by teaming up with AT&T and a bunch of other big Milwaukee corporates.

I'd get rid of all bad contracts and start fresh, while keeping my other 400 million in various stock markets

rhowen4
03-17-2014, 12:39 PM
I would create the Wyoming Geysers. KD and LBJ would join up in 2015. First three peat that year. Yellowstone has a grand scale eruption, encasing the entire planet in a layer of smoke and debris. The continued survival of humankind is in jeopardy, double jeopardy. An enterprising scientist named LeBron James creates nanotechnology within six months that consumes the smoke and debris layer, returning sunlight to a planet that had been devoid of it.

NBA activities resume in 2017 after the planetary crisis, and the Wyoming Geysers win 11 straight championships, becoming the greatest dynasty in the history of sports.

no pun intended
03-17-2014, 12:44 PM
I would create the Wyoming Geysers. KD and LBJ would join up in 2015. First three peat that year. Yellowstone has a grand scale eruption, encasing the entire planet in a layer of smoke and debris. The continued survival of humankind is in jeopardy, double jeopardy. An enterprising scientist named LeBron James creates nanotechnology within six months that consumes the smoke and debris layer, returning sunlight to a planet that had been devoid of it.

NBA activities resume in 2017 after the planetary crisis, and the Wyoming Geysers win 11 straight championships, becoming the greatest dynasty in the history of sports.
what in the flying fvck did I just read

AMERVET
03-17-2014, 01:38 PM

I bet you'd get more girl azz if the SyFy channel wasn't the love of your life

TheMarkMadsen
03-17-2014, 01:45 PM
why can nobody ever answer this question, it's always "hurpty durr i'm so smart i wouldn't buy an NBA team id invest in other things"

:facepalm

i'd buy a small market team that hasn't really seen success and try to take them to the promise land, maybe the Bobcats as they are switching over to the Hornets.

IncarceratedBob
03-17-2014, 01:46 PM
If one had a billion dollars, buying an NBA team in my professional opinion would be fiscally irresponsible. You must look at the intrinsically equivalents of today's market, first you should be a provider for your immediate family. Once that is taken care of it would be recommended that you invest. Investing partially in non-leverage equities as well as low consenting drop stocks would be ideal. Most NBA owners do not profit for 7-9 years after the completion of the purchase. The turn around is laughably stagnant and enunciated.

swagga
03-17-2014, 02:13 PM
i'd buy the knicks.

Really I could go out naked singing piss on you by r.kelly and taking a daily shit in front of the madison square while going all out on TV as to how shumpert >> prime jordan ... and I would still be making buckets. Tbh if I were to buy the team and do all this shit but not interfere with basketball decisions I would be a better owner than dolan. That's some cray shit right there.

sketchy
03-17-2014, 02:43 PM
I'd buy the Pels, Fire Demps and Williams. Bring in George Carl. Offer Saints fans discounts on Saints tickets if they commit to at least 20 games. I'd renovate the arena, raise the ceiling, bring in the biggest HD Scoreboard, Light up the court real nice, darken up the fan seating a little to get everyone focused on the court. Upgrade all of the fan seats a lil something like this throughout the arena.
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/0921/play_r_chairs_mb_576.jpg
I'd also go ahead and pony up some cash to book Amazing halftime shows. I would definitely spend on fan experience in order to keep and or attract fans. I would change sponsors and rename the arena "Pride Arena" I'd probable exhausts about 3/4 of my wealth, just making going to a Pels game the thing to do. I would pay for winners on every level. And if I go bankrupt, everyone will at least know I tried.
Now that's some ambition! Dude's got a game plan and a dgaf attitude. More owners should be like this. :applause:

NumberSix
03-17-2014, 03:53 PM
I would buy any franchise and bring that to Puerto Rico. :rockon:
That's an awesome way to have your teams value plummet.

Demitri98
03-17-2014, 03:55 PM
Bring in George Karl.
Pretty sure he's not interested in coaching again.

NumberSix
03-17-2014, 03:58 PM
Not if you're Canadian. No tax on winnings.

Duderonomy
03-17-2014, 04:08 PM
Do you even money? Every business owner would tell you only need 20% down and the rest financed. Hence 500 mil could be 2.5 billion. Buying a NBA team is foolish if thats your only "basket" (no pun intended) but if you're on a NBA forum I'm sure the fantasy of owning a team has run through your head. Nets would be a bad team for this scenario I would want a team with a clean slate or a roster like the Blazers have.

KobesFinger
03-17-2014, 04:22 PM
Clippers

Soundwave
03-17-2014, 05:20 PM
Can't afford the Lakers, so I'd take the Clippers. Second choice would be the Orlando Magic.

OP should just retitle the thread as what team would you purchase if you had $1 billion to spend on a team.

Shade8780
03-17-2014, 05:37 PM
The Celtics.

Myth
03-17-2014, 06:10 PM
Portland Trail Blazers. I'm sure I'd have to overpay to pry them from Paul Allen though.

BlazerRed
03-17-2014, 06:11 PM
No.

DStebb716
03-17-2014, 06:53 PM
I wouldn't buy any franchise, but I would offer to become an investor in a group to help Seattle secure a franchise.

I'd be more likely to become an investor in a group trying to buy the Buffalo Bills and keep them there, though.

KyleKong
03-17-2014, 07:22 PM
Bucks, instantly move them to Seattle.

Even if my roster sucks the arena would always be packed. And much higher chance of bringing free agents to Seattle then Milwaukee.

shejan
03-17-2014, 07:45 PM
The Toronto Raptors. Drake would be my b*tch. And I'd get access to his groupies

D-FENS
03-17-2014, 09:01 PM
It makes the most sense to buy one of the cheaper teams and operate them at a profit. Most of the top franchises are worth more than a billion in my mind.

So I'd probably buy the Milwaukee Bucks. I'd help build a new arena by teaming up with AT&T and a bunch of other big Milwaukee corporates.

I'd get rid of all bad contracts and start fresh, while keeping my other 400 million in various stock markets

Ah, **** this. I'll keep $100 million in a trust fund, and the rest I'm going all in trying to upgrade the Bucks.

I'm going to bring in Embiid, Wiggins, Parker or Exum for sure because I can't fall out of the top 4.

OJ Mayo is gone. I'll trade him for Gerald Wallace's contract. At least Crash knows about winning and cares about winning

I'm creating a pre-game show, half-time show and making tickets super cheap in the upepr bowl. I may even give away a boatload of tickets. I'm trying to get corporate sponsors wherever I can, and I'm doing everything I can to get the arena full even if it's a case of giving free upper bowl tickets away. I want loud fans like G-State or OKC, so I give out free t-shirts and noise makers.

Every game, I'll have free tickets for a school drawn at random. I want all kids to be NBA fans.

KDthunderup
03-17-2014, 09:02 PM
I would buy the Thunder so I wouldnt be a bitch about going into the tax

Angel Face
03-17-2014, 09:09 PM
I would buy the Bulls and clone prime Jordan.

Rubio2Gasol
03-17-2014, 10:09 PM
You need at least 100 million invested in shit that'll actually make money and 100 million more for spending.

Warriors if possible. Chill, high class spots nearby, good investment opportunities, great crowd, and exciting team.

sammichoffate
03-17-2014, 10:17 PM
Gimme them Big Ol' Women in San Antonio and one of the best franchises ever.