PDA

View Full Version : Would you have drafted Greg Oden over LeBron?

jongib369
03-17-2014, 02:34 PM
I know LeBron was hyped beyond belief, way more so than Oden...But Oden was supposed to be the next great big man...Which is arguably more important than LeBrons position.

How many of you without hindsight would of drafted him first?

Random_Guy
03-17-2014, 02:35 PM
Nope, Lebron's hype just transcended everything

Fudge
03-17-2014, 02:36 PM
Hell no.

No other player in NBA history was as hyped as LeBron coming into the league.

Demitri98
03-17-2014, 02:37 PM
If they were both on the clock and I had no clue how each would pan put in the league, I'd still take Oden. The hype over Oden was crazy. LeBron was hyped to be a great player, and the hype was justified, but no one realized he'd be this great. Whereas Oden was hyped as the next Shaq + better defense.

Oden is easier to build a chip team around, because his playing style fits in with anyone, unlike LeBron whos play style is less flexible and needs a more handcrafted team.

Milbuck
03-17-2014, 02:38 PM
Nope. Oden was a beast, but there was no doubt in my mind that Lebron would be special. It's was obvious from the start.

And this is all with the belief that Oden was 100% healthy, no injury concerns. Lebron as a draft prospect was just unlike anything I've ever seen.

LeGOAT
No. Not even close. Lebron was the most sure thing super star in history. He would have been the first pick in the draft when he was 16

moe94
I was mad they took Oden over Durant, forget LeBron.

If they were both on the clock and I had no clue how each would pan put in the league, I'd still take Oden. The hype over Oden was crazy. LeBron was hyped to be a great player, and the hype was justified, but no one realized he'd be this great. Whereas Oden was hyped as the next Shaq + better defense.

LeBron's hype was much much much bigger than Oden's. :biggums:

jongib369
Hell no.

No other player in NBA history was as hyped as LeBron coming into the league.
Is there anyone over the last 25-30 years that would have even? Besides Shaq who would easily go ahead of him

jongib369
03-17-2014, 02:40 PM

Did you think hed be a bust or just wasnt as good? Personally thought they made the right choice at the time.....Now not so much lol.

Demitri98
03-17-2014, 02:42 PM

LeBron's hype was bigger, but he's achieved way more than expected. LeBron was supposed to be a great player, but Oden was expected to be the next Shaq, which is a way bigger expectation if you ask me.

moe94
03-17-2014, 02:43 PM
LeBron's hype was bigger, but he's achieved way more than expected. LeBron was supposed to be a great player, but Oden was expected to be the next Shaq, which is a way bigger expectation if you ask me.

Shaq? Oden was hyped for his defense.

LeBron's hype was so massive that I think he just met it, instead of being way better than advertised. He was billed as a generational talent and that's what he became.

livinglegend
03-17-2014, 02:44 PM

pure lie :facepalm

jongib369
03-17-2014, 02:44 PM
Nope. Oden was a beast, but there was no doubt in my mind that Lebron would be special. It's was obvious from the start.

And this is all with the belief that Oden was 100% healthy, no injury concerns. Lebron as a draft prospect was just unlike anything I've ever seen.
Hed probably be number 1 in most drafts also. Only a few players come to mind that would be selected over him and they're GOAT bigs

Demitri98
03-17-2014, 02:46 PM
pure lie :facepalm
Watch Oden's college highlights, then watch Shaq's Orlando highlights, and tell me they're not similar players. Of course they are. Shaq had a better offensive game but Oden was a better defender. It cancels out. Oden could've had a Shaq-like impact in this league barring injury.

Bob Dole
03-17-2014, 02:47 PM
No, but he probably gets drafted over any other player since Lebron.

sketchy
03-17-2014, 02:47 PM
Lebron was the much more sure thing to be a great player and a ticket seller. Hypothetically, I'd draft Lebron over Oden 10/10 times.

livinglegend
03-17-2014, 02:48 PM
Watch Oden's college highlights, then watch Shaq's Orlando highlights, and tell me they're not similar players. Of course they are. Shaq had a better offensive game but Oden was a better defender. It cancels out. Oden could've had a Shaq-like impact in this league barring injury.

The problem with today s generation. Instead of watching games, they watch highlights on youtube.:facepalm

Demitri98
03-17-2014, 02:49 PM
No, but he probably gets drafted over any other player since Lebron.
Oden > Dwight
Oden > Bogut
Oden > Bargs
Oden = D-Rose
Oden > Wall
Oden > Kyrie
Oden > Davis
Oden >>>>>>>>>>>> Bennett

Only guys I see possibly going over Oden is Rose, but that maybe wouldn't even happen.

Rooster
03-17-2014, 03:01 PM
Is there anyone over the last 25-30 years that would have even? Besides Shaq who would easily go ahead of him

In the last 30 years, beside Shaq maybe Hakeem. Lebron was just so hype that by his sophomore year he was predicted to be the 1st pick. To me he Lebron exceeded the expectations and then some.

IncarceratedBob
03-17-2014, 03:09 PM
I wouldnt draft any player in NBA history over LeBron

The dude could average a triple double if he cared enough

He'll go down as goat

IncarceratedBob
03-17-2014, 03:14 PM
Oh he cares enough, he just can't.
Lmao he cant? LeBron cant? When has that ever stopped LeBron?

He cant win a ring, he cant make it out of Akron, he cant be successful without a dad, he cant be clutch, he cant make big shots... when will you ever learn?

life is a game to lebron, what he wants, he does.

jongib369
03-17-2014, 03:25 PM
Yeah I guess technically everybody could average a triple-double if they forced it. His PPG would plummet, his FG% would be worse, and his TO's would be much higher forcing passes to get assists too. He'd probably wear himself out in the paint boxing out 24/7 too. Because like he said, playing PF is "taxing"
I get why his PPG would go down, that his TO rate would go up etc...But why would his FG% go down?

Demitri98
03-17-2014, 03:31 PM
I get why his PPG would go down, that his TO rate would go up etc...But why would his FG% go down?
Chucking for points? :confusedshrug: A 10 point triple double doesn't go hand in hand with a dominant performance.

NumberSix
03-17-2014, 03:34 PM
Lebron is the most obvious lock in nba history along with Shaq.

Rake2204
03-17-2014, 04:13 PM
I was not buying a lot of the Greg Oden hype at the time. It can often be tough to gauge one's dominance when he's a big man dunking home 16 points per game against lesser-sized college competition.

That's not to say he wouldn't have been very good in the NBA if he were injury-free. I was just less enthused about his prospects than I was about LeBron James, the 6'8'' speedster crossing, shooting, dishing, between-the-legs in-game dunking mega star we saw budding at St. Vincent-St. Mary's. I still didn't know if it'd all translate to the NBA back then, but I don't think I would have hesitated for one moment in drafting him over Oden.

smoovegittar
03-17-2014, 05:56 PM
You could tell when LeBron hit the scene, he was special. He has not dissapointed. And with a big man, you always take chances on that short shelf life. Coming from a Ewing fan.

Andrei89
03-17-2014, 09:23 PM
As most posters said here, Lebron was one of the most hyped prospects of all time.

He also exceeded expectations and became a superstar.

Oden was also a beast though , so I justify Portland taking him over Durant.

MichaelCorleone
03-17-2014, 09:28 PM
I wouldn't even draft Shaq over Lebron let alone Oden.

Bless Mathews
03-17-2014, 09:31 PM
BwahahahahahahahabahahahahhHHhHB

Watch "highlights " he typed.

Lolololololol

This board never ceases to amaze me.

If you actually watched games of oden, you would know his offensive game was not even CLOSE to Shaq s offensive game.

Defense and rebounding, maybe close. But offense. Lololololololololololol

Man my stomach is killing me.

beastee
03-18-2014, 12:43 PM
The red flag of Oden's knees should have been obvious. His year at Ohio State did nothing that would propel him over Lebron. The most important part of building a championship contender is having at least one star over 6'6". Lebron met that and his overall skill set coming out of high school trumped size.

beastee
03-18-2014, 12:44 PM
Tell me how his ass tastes?

oarabbus
03-18-2014, 12:47 PM

Uhh... well that's ****ing stupid.

Shaq over Everybody except Wilt and Russell.

jstern
03-18-2014, 02:16 PM
The Lebron hype was insane. If you think about it, it could have possibly been bigger than all other players put together in the last 25 years. His hype was mainstream, and even had one of his HS game on national television.

There had to be a reason for that hype, so he's the obvious choice.

He was expected to be the next Jordan. If he was just expected to be a great player then that hype would not have been there.

Marlo_Stanfield
03-18-2014, 02:18 PM
LEBron James:projected to be the best player of his generation.
became the best palyer who ever lived:applause: :applause:

Marlo_Stanfield
03-18-2014, 02:19 PM
Uhh... well that's ****ing stupid.

Shaq over Everybody except Wilt and Russell.
http://cdn.niketalk.com/2/2f/350x700px-LL-2ff5111e_michael-jordan-laughing.gif

Fire Colangelo
03-18-2014, 05:18 PM
Portland was completely justified taking Oden. They already had a beast perimeter player in Roy. Most people wet themselves at the thought of Roy and oden together including me. Shit didn't work out due to injuries tho it's a shame.

Portland's front office is underrated IMO, they've been competitive even in the post Roy era. Took them only 2 years of sucking to get back on top again. Now their future is extremely bright with Lillard and LMA running the show.

JUDGE WITNESS
03-18-2014, 07:28 PM
lebron was on a MAX contract before stepping foot on an nba court