PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Pete Maravich - 68 Points vs. Knicks Highlights!

eliteballer
03-18-2014, 01:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPqnpxhFWhw

Patrick Chewing
03-18-2014, 01:32 AM
:facepalm Knicks

Warfan
03-18-2014, 01:33 AM
:applause:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UTust5oFW4

much shorter version, jumper was wet as fukk

Round Mound
03-18-2014, 01:48 AM
No Way This Short and Unskilled White Guy Could Score Today....:rolleyes:

pauk
03-18-2014, 02:38 AM
GOAT Balkan NBA player. :bowdown:

duskovujosevic
03-18-2014, 03:47 AM
serbia not balkan

rhowen4
03-18-2014, 04:19 AM
damn he could palm the ball?

russwest0
03-18-2014, 04:50 AM
felt like I was watching Stephen Curry

pauk
03-18-2014, 04:51 AM
serbia not balkan

Yes? Which is in the Balkan Peninsula....

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/europe/balkans.gif

...and if we want to be even more accurate, he is American, his father immigrated from fr. Yugoslavia. If Pete aint American then no white guy in America is considering 100% of them aint Native either...

Odakle si ti Dusko? :)

pudman13
03-18-2014, 09:58 AM
damn he could palm the ball?

He could dunk too:

http://youtu.be/PK9qo6LNrtA

start at 0:43.

Psileas
03-18-2014, 10:26 AM
He could dunk too:

http://youtu.be/PK9qo6LNrtA

start at 0:43.

Of course he could.
Remember that fake pass behind the back that ended with a layup vs the Lakers? He stepped a little beyond the free throw line. That should be enough evidence by itself.

Nikola_
03-18-2014, 10:46 AM
Yes? Which is in the Balkan Peninsula....

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/europe/balkans.gif

...and if we want to be even more accurate, he is American, his father immigrated from fr. Yugoslavia. If Pete aint American then no white guy in America is considering 100% of them aint Native either...

If he was from Romania you wouldnt have said he was from Balkans. you know nobody outside exyugo lovers and people who cry wathcing once brothers consider themselves balkanic or whatever the name is. is federer GOAT Alpine tennis player ? who cares about that :facepalm
nice video though, clearly ahead of his time.:bowdown:

Champ
03-18-2014, 12:22 PM
That "charging" call at 3:30 shows just how much the game has changed.

jzek
03-18-2014, 12:33 PM
So ahead of his time...

oarabbus
03-18-2014, 12:36 PM
:eek:

He looks like a White Chocolate/Curry/Rubio hybrid... can't imagine what he would do to the league today. Guy was 6'5"... would be absolutely ****ting on the likes of MCW. I mean you can see where Magic got his game from when you watch Pistol highlights.

RIP, the Basketball Gods are cruel indeed

SHAQisGOAT
03-18-2014, 12:46 PM
:applause: :bowdown:

Had seen the short footage before, a long time ago, but only seen the long footage just the other day, for the 1st time... He was just killing them, jumper was too quick and too wet, moving really well without the ball, many moves around the basket (look at that hook), great dribbling skill, "running" away from double teams and then scoring, plus he'd make them pay for playing too close or trying to trap.
68/5/5/2/2 on .662 TS%, without a 3pt line, is just crazy, even with the 7 TO's. Plus, with the 3pt line he would've gotten like more than a couple of 3's and he fouled out on some questionable calls. Loved the standing ovation at the end.
Poor Frazier, he wasn't that close to his best anymore though. McAdoo was still balling there, great to see.

What's cool, or actually what screwed Pistol up as a player, is that he would try the most difficult shot, the toughest dribble through the most crowded places, the flashiest, most wreckless passes, most of the time, which was great to watch but doesn't really translate to winning-basketball.
All the talent in the world but the wrong "mentality", although he managed to change a bit. His teammates were pretty average at that time when he was at his best, though, also has to be said. This was in the description box:

You can say this was Maravich's peak season, as he led the league in scoring with 31.1 PPG, was 3rd in MVP voting and made the All-NBA 1st team. He was also 12th, in the league, in APG and top5 in RPG amongst guards. He scored 40 or more points 13 times as the Jazz went 10-3, and he scored 30 or more points 39 times as the Jazz went 25-14. He scored 36.4 PPG on 34 wins and 26.6 on 39 losses. In New Orleans, he scored 34.2 PPG.
The Jazz and the Knicks were fighting for the last Playoff spot in the East, so this was a big win for New Orleans. Ultimately, neither team got there.

Of course he could.
Remember that fake pass behind the back that ended with a layup vs the Lakers? He stepped a little beyond the free throw line. That should be enough evidence by itself.

Didn't even notice it like that til now, you're right though.

Dunk in practice, dunk in game, in his later days:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq1oUk7sgRY

Shame that there's not much footage (from actual games) of him.

Check this from Dr J's autobiography, also:

Playing one-on-one with Pete is an experience. He's got the kind of shooting range that I've never seen before. He can shoot it consistently out to 35 feet, but if I'm going to go out there and defend that, then he'll cross-me up on the dribble and get a lay-up or dunk. Pete has some great ups, and while he's not known for getting to the rim, he throws some nice dunks down in our games, his red hair flapping in the hot Georgia air. One of the things that makes Pete so great is his hang time, and no one talks about that. He can leave the floor and sort of stay up there long enough to make a good pass out of the play, or fake one way and then pass another.
http://deadspin.com/this-doctor-can-operate-dr-j-pistol-pete-and-the-1469135960

No Way This Short and Unskilled White Guy Could Score Today....:rolleyes:

:lol

I don't know how anyone would call him short though, as he was over 6'5 w/o shoes, over 200 lbs too, with big hands. As for skills, he did stuff on the regular that were later considered signature moves for some players, he even did shit that no one else has since duplicated.

:eek:

He looks like a White Chocolate/Curry/Rubio hybrid... can't imagine what he would do to the league today. Guy was 6'5"... would be absolutely ****ting on the likes of MCW. I mean you can see where Magic got his game from when you watch Pistol highlights.

RIP, the Basketball Gods are cruel indeed

Well said.

Patrick Chewing
03-18-2014, 01:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq1oUk7sgRY

That passing :bowdown:

Magic before Magic. Lebron before Lebron.

Bibby4Three
03-18-2014, 04:08 PM
Maravich nuff said. :bowdown:

bdreason
03-18-2014, 04:17 PM
Dat midrange. :bowdown:

CavaliersFTW
03-18-2014, 04:33 PM
I heard he's the size of the centers Wilt used to beat up on, is that true?

steve
03-18-2014, 07:41 PM

Press was born in Pennsylvania.

mr.big35
03-18-2014, 08:58 PM
his pretty much underrated

pudman13
03-18-2014, 09:18 PM
I've seen pretty much every Maravich highlight that's still somehow available to the public, and I have to say that the backwards layup he makes near the end of this game (something never included in the Maravich highlight reels) may be my favorite shot of them all.

kNicKz
03-18-2014, 10:38 PM
most overlooked player of the last century

Bibby4Three
03-18-2014, 10:47 PM

Its crazy how ahead of his time he was...I know thats constantly said about him but so true.

Psileas
03-19-2014, 12:01 AM

It must be noted though that, for a player of that era, he has quite a few highlight clips available. Plus college material.

miles berg
03-19-2014, 12:04 AM

Most overlooked all the way until TMac today, both of them are criminally underrated.

Patrick Chewing
03-19-2014, 12:06 AM
If memory serves me correctly, Press made a very young Pistol visit more urban areas of town to watch how blacks played basketball. He wanted Pistol to emulate this style and make him understand that this was the future of basketball, and not what he was used to watching on television.

absalom
03-19-2014, 12:26 AM
Too bad statheads wont like him just like Iverson.

Bibby4Three
03-19-2014, 01:04 AM
If memory serves me correctly, Press made a very young Pistol visit more urban areas of town to watch how blacks played basketball. He wanted Pistol to emulate this style and make him understand that this was the future of basketball, and not what he was used to watching on television.

If you have seen that movie about his life....The Pistol it shows a pretty good representation of stuff like this.

Pretty sure its on Netflix.

JimmyMcAdocious
03-19-2014, 01:06 AM
God, I hope someone 6-5 could dunk. Has there ever been an NBA player that tall who couldn't?

SHAQisGOAT
03-19-2014, 01:18 AM
God, I hope someone 6-5 could dunk. Has there ever been an NBA player that tall who couldn't?

A legit 6'5 player (that's w/o shoes, like Pistol)? Doubt it, or at least doubt there's been many.. has to be really unathletic. Who knows though :confusedshrug:

CavaliersFTW
03-19-2014, 01:20 AM
A legit 6'5 player (that's w/o shoes, like Pistol)? Doubt it, or at least doubt there's been many.. has to be really unathletic. Who knows though :confusedshrug:
I can't remember which book it came from but even in the early 1960's, 6-4 Dick Barnett had the reputation around the league as the tallest player in the NBA at that time who couldn't stuff

JimmyMcAdocious
03-19-2014, 01:27 AM
I think Kerr (6-3) said he couldn't dunk unless it was an alley at the rim. Might have been joking, tho.

SHAQisGOAT
03-19-2014, 01:53 AM
Too bad statheads wont like him just like Iverson.

Well like I've said, he would try the most difficult contested shot or move (shooting from like 26' even without a 3pt line), the toughest dribble through the most crowded places, the flashiest, most wreckless passes, most of the time, which was great to watch but doesn't really translate into winning-basketball.
He mastered the game, it was somewhat "boring" to him, so he had to keep it entertaining, and like he said, he played for the fans. Plus his father was his coach in college and he let Pete run the show.. so there it was, a really talented player, playing more for the show than for the win, let's say, doing what he "wanted to", never with the right type of mentality or the correct understanding of the game. Plenty of players with considerable less talent, managed to "do" better.
I remember his first NBA coach, Richie Guerin, saying that he had to teach Maravich a lot, how to play as a team and how to "get" wins, not being too wreckless, teaching him about team defense - Pete didn't care much for it but quick reflexes compensated a bit, more on-ball and on steals/blocks, he was atrocious off-ball on rotations, especially at 1st.

He was drafted into a pretty good team in Atlanta, with the likes of Lou Hudson, Walt Bellamy or Walt Hazzard, and with him (and Joe Caldwell gone because of money) they got worse. It wasn't the right situation for him though, didn't fit there.. Black veteran players watching the white kid get payed much more, they didn't like his over-flashiness or went along with his playing style much.

Then in his best years, in New Orleans, he managed to change a bit, and the team was designed/built for him, but his teammates were pretty average, he was carrying the load, when they got Truck Robinson and started to somewhat click, he got injured, never was the same again.

He had a couple of pretty good playoff series but only got there 3 times before injury, can't say he did much there, at all. So you can't really put him quite in the same category as a player like Iverson, in terms of career, but of course you also have to consider some of the things I've said. If he played for the 70's Celtics since the start, his career might've been considerable different, for example.
Furthermore, if he played in this era he would've gotten much more praise, with his majorly flashy ways (much more "accepted" now), crazy creativeness and ridiculous offensive talent, as a white superstar guard, with these rules making it easier plus much less stricter game.

SHAQisGOAT
03-19-2014, 01:57 AM
I can't remember which book it came from but even in the early 1960's, 6-4 Dick Barnett had the reputation around the league as the tallest player in the NBA at that time who couldn't stuff

Somewhat surprising to me, wouldn't think that he couldn't.

I think Kerr (6-3) said he couldn't dunk unless it was an alley at the rim. Might have been joking, tho.

:lol

pudman13
03-19-2014, 08:38 AM

I find this hard to believe, because the guy was athletic and had so much hang time, but 6'3" Earl Monroe claimed that he couldn't dunk. Jeff Hornacek, listed at 6'4", also said he could not dunk.

Also...I'm sure he could, but Wes Unseld (6'7") may well be the only NBA center who has no dunks anywhere among the available game footage and highlights.

P.S. My comment about "he could dunk too" was a joke--a jab at all of those people who claim players of the 70s and before were unathletic.