PDA

View Full Version : Should having more than 1 all star teammate knock you out of mvp consideration?

The Iron Fist
03-18-2014, 04:55 PM
If you have three all stars on one team, how valuable can you really be?

TheMarkMadsen
03-18-2014, 04:56 PM
look at the records w/o that player/ the other all star

Ca$H
03-18-2014, 04:58 PM
If you have three all stars on one team, how valuable can you really be?

Yes. LeBron's 2 MVPs with the Heat are ridiculous. Most valuable. LOL. I respect his 2 MVPs with the cavs though.

Dro
03-18-2014, 04:59 PM
Good question. I'm not really sure....

Warfan
03-18-2014, 05:00 PM
No

Milbuck
03-18-2014, 05:01 PM
look at the records w/o that player/ the other all star
Precisely why Durant should be MVP, without a doubt. That period without Westbrook was just incredible.

red1
03-18-2014, 05:01 PM
Yes. LeBron's 2 MVPs with the Heat are ridiculous. Most valuable. LOL. I respect his 2 MVPs with the cavs though.
I see what you mean but at the same time who in the league was more valuable during those two years? Nobody tbh.

pegasus
03-18-2014, 05:05 PM
Everybody knows this. Even Lebron said in 2011, ironically when Wade was getting MVP talks for his great play in January (or February), that they eliminate each other from the MVP race. But then somehow the media found a reason to give him 2 MVP's, just because Wade chose to sit out easy games and played against the tough opponents. They tried the same thing this year but Lebron fell flat on his face with or without Wade.:lol

TheMilkyBarKid
03-18-2014, 05:05 PM
Precisely why Durant should be MVP, without a doubt. That period without Westbrook was just incredible.
Barring an amazing lbj run to end the season yes. Still kd is #2 till he proves otherwise.

Jlamb47
03-18-2014, 05:09 PM
It shouldnt knock the player out without looking at the situation and record etc.
but i feel like a player with less superstar players with close or better records should get it if there stats meet

Quickening
03-18-2014, 05:10 PM
I think being a rapist should keep you out the HOF

ripthekik
03-18-2014, 05:14 PM
It's funny because without him, Wade and Bosh would go to the ECF at the minimum every year. What kind of MVP is it when your team can get to the conference finals without you? :oldlol:

Clyde
03-18-2014, 05:14 PM

If someone were convicted of said crime they probably would.

Quickening
03-18-2014, 05:17 PM
If someone were convicted of said crime they probably would.
Hitler was never convicted of anything either, both good men...

Clyde
03-18-2014, 05:21 PM

wow.
:facepalm

riseagainst
03-18-2014, 05:26 PM

:biggums:
:wtf:

I applaud you for being such a dedicated stan, though. You have lost all logic and common sense. This is truly incredible.

red1
03-18-2014, 05:27 PM
unbelievable. hitler and kobe are not good men

SHABBA
03-18-2014, 05:33 PM
Correct.

KrizMiz
03-18-2014, 05:43 PM
We all know that Big Al is the real mvp!

jlip
03-18-2014, 05:53 PM
If the OP's criteria stands then Wilt, Russell, Moses Malone, Magic, and Bird need to give back several of their MVPs.

SHAQisGOAT
03-18-2014, 06:21 PM
If the OP's criteria stands then Wilt, Russell, Moses Malone, Magic, and Bird need to give back several of their MVPs.

Wilt and Russell went against each other. Bird and Magic (and Moses) too.

Rose'sACL
03-18-2014, 06:22 PM
Lebron and durant went against each other.

PJR
03-18-2014, 06:24 PM

And this point bears absolutely no relevance whatsoever.

Ai2death
03-18-2014, 06:33 PM
I see what you mean but at the same time who in the league was more valuable during those two years? Nobody tbh.

:applause: First time I've agreed with you Red1.

Pretty much this.

JT123
03-18-2014, 06:38 PM
Bosh shouldn't have even been an All Star, he got selected this year based on name recognition only. Can anyone provide a reasonable explanation for why Bosh should have been an All Star over Big Al of the Bobcats? :coleman:
You can even make an argument against Wade being an All Star, seeing as how he sat out so many games earlier in the year.

Kblaze8855
03-18-2014, 06:58 PM
Off the top of my head that would remove about 4 of Russells 5, 1 of Nashs 2, maybe Barkleys(I know Majerle made it...not sure KJ was healthy), all 3 of Birds(Mchale wasnt in 85 but DJ and Parish were), I think 2 of Magics, one of Moses Malones, 1 of Kareems I believe, Cowens loses his, and so does Willis Reed. Oscar loses his one(Lucas and Embry). Earl and Gus Johnson cost Unseld his.

And considering how many all stars there were relative to total players in the 50s id br surprised if Pettit kept his. I know cousy loses his becuse of Sharman and Easy Ed.

Throwing in Lebrons 2 you might creep up on 20 awards lost. Most of them not even controversial awards.

JT123
03-18-2014, 07:00 PM
Off the top of my head that would remove about 4 of Russells 5, 1 of Nashs 2, maybe Barkleys(I know Majerle made it...not sure KJ was healthy), all 3 of Birds(Mchale wasnt in 85 but DJ and Parish were), I think 2 of Magics, one of Moses Malones, 1 of Kareems I believe, Cowens loses his, and so does Willis Reed. Oscar loses his one(Lucas and Embry). Earl and Gus Johnson cost Unseld his.

And considering how many all stars there were relative to total players in the 50s id br surprised if Pettit kept his. I know cousy loses his becuse of Sharman and Easy Ed.

Throwing in Lebrons 2 you might creep up on 20 awards lost. Most of them not even controversial awards.
/thread

RIP CITY
03-18-2014, 07:01 PM
Should it knock you out of the conversation for MVP? No, but it should be taken into account.

Vancouver-Grizz
03-18-2014, 07:09 PM
Good discussion....

I see it both ways.

Miami can't win as many games as they did this year without Lebron but may have if they had an healthy Wade.

OKC CANNOT win this many games without Durant PERIOD

In this case KD would be more valuable to a the team.

But there are no guidelines on how sport writers and sport casters on how to select an MVP so it really doesn't matter.

I truly believe that there should be a guideline on how to choose an MVP. Maybe all players in the playoffs has a fair share in getting selected like Al Jefferson or Joakim Noah? I think those guys are huge for their teams and without those individuals and their stellar performance, the team wouldn't have a shot for the title in the playoffs.

Big Cheese
03-18-2014, 07:13 PM
the mvp isnt about who is the most valuable to their team its about who has the best story and the best season.

SHAQisGOAT
03-18-2014, 07:17 PM
Lebron and durant went against each other.

Talking about the stacked teams argument :rolleyes: People are like, "Magic had Kareem and Worthy", so on, "Bird had McHale and Parish"(plus he arrived to one of the worst teams in the league), "Moses had Doc" or the other way around, but forget they had to win against the other's team, plus Bad Boys, Bucks.. Oh and of course people are gonna say that they didn't switch teams.

kshutts1
03-18-2014, 07:24 PM
The MVP award in MY mind should 100% factor in quality of team. As already stated, how valuable can one truly be if their team is that great?

Football provides the easiest, most outrageous example... if Brady and Manning were on the same team, and one got hurt... is the team really that much worse? No. Because the teammates can easily pick up the slack.

In the case of Lebron, if he doesn't play well, Bosh (25/10 before joining the Heat) and Wade (second best player in the L before Lebron joined) can easily pick up the slack. Ditto for any other combination of slack needing to be picked up.

I've long argued this point. Makes no logical sense whatsoever to have a player with so much help be given the MVP. It's even more hilarious when both Wade and Lebron have gotten MVP consideration. Are you f-ing kidding me?!

MVP =/= best player. Lebron (IMO, anyway) is the best player. Not winning the MVP doesn't change that.

Sorry. /rant.

Black Mamba's B
03-19-2014, 02:40 AM
If it's Kobe and there is another star on the team he gets penalized for it

Dave3
03-19-2014, 02:55 AM
If it's Kobe and there is another star on the team he gets penalized for it
Which year did Kobe deserve it and lose it only based on having another all star? Was it when he won less games (with a better team) and averaged worse stats than the eventual winner?

iamgine
03-19-2014, 03:05 AM
The MVP award in MY mind should 100% factor in quality of team. As already stated, how valuable can one truly be if their team is that great?

Football provides the easiest, most outrageous example... if Brady and Manning were on the same team, and one got hurt... is the team really that much worse? No. Because the teammates can easily pick up the slack.

In the case of Lebron, if he doesn't play well, Bosh (25/10 before joining the Heat) and Wade (second best player in the L before Lebron joined) can easily pick up the slack. Ditto for any other combination of slack needing to be picked up.

I've long argued this point. Makes no logical sense whatsoever to have a player with so much help be given the MVP. It's even more hilarious when both Wade and Lebron have gotten MVP consideration. Are you f-ing kidding me?!

MVP =/= best player. Lebron (IMO, anyway) is the best player. Not winning the MVP doesn't change that.

Sorry. /rant.
Hmm I don't think MVP should work like you described.

Consider this hypothetical. Lets say Charlotte's only center is Al Jeff. They have absolutely no other NBA quality center. Therefore, when Al Jeff sits down or injured they would be losing by a lot due to having no center. Clearly Al Jeff is a good player and his MVP value is quadrupled just because Bobcats have no other center. Therefore he should be MVP? Hmm...

kshutts1
03-19-2014, 03:29 AM
Hmm I don't think MVP should work like you described.

Consider this hypothetical. Lets say Charlotte's only center is Al Jeff. They have absolutely no other NBA quality center. Therefore, when Al Jeff sits down or injured they would be losing by a lot due to having no center. Clearly Al Jeff is a good player and his MVP value is quadrupled just because Bobcats have no other center. Therefore he should be MVP? Hmm...

Aside from the absolute focus on positional responsibilities... Yes.

As I said, my example was extreme. But what I was attempting to illustrate is how having a quality team around you can change things. Positional backups are exactly necessary; they just make NFL comparisons much easier.

iamgine
03-19-2014, 03:32 AM
Aside from the absolute focus on positional responsibilities... Yes.

As I said, my example was extreme. But what I was attempting to illustrate is how having a quality team around you can change things. Positional backups are exactly necessary; they just make NFL comparisons much easier.
Hmm well MVP has no exact definition so I guess you are free to describe it your way.

kshutts1
03-19-2014, 03:53 AM
Hmm well MVP has no exact definition so I guess you are free to describe it your way.
Big issue with the award, IMO.

League MVP and Best-Team (my understanding) MVP are two totally different things.

But to be honest, the league seems to have picked League MVPs.

no pun intended
03-19-2014, 03:54 AM
Good question. I'm not really sure....
lmao i have always wondered when this gimmick response of yours began

sportjames23
03-19-2014, 03:57 AM

There goes Dirk's chances, since he raped the Heat in the 2011 Finals.

AintNoSunshine
03-19-2014, 04:06 AM
Should y'all pull LJ's dikk out of your anus, yes you should.

pauk
03-19-2014, 04:21 AM
No because then we must discredit essentially all MVP winners in NBA history, all had at least 1 all-star caliber/playing player and some had even DPOY/1st all-defensive ("not all-star because they couldnt average 20 ppg") big guys to complement some of those MVP winners defensive mishaps....

ripthekik
03-19-2014, 05:08 AM
No because then we must discredit essentially all MVP winners in NBA history, all had at least 1 all-star caliber/playing player and some had even DPOY/1st all-defensive ("not all-star because they couldnt average 20 ppg") big guys to complement some of those MVP winners defensive mishaps....
in the last 20 years of MVP's, who had more than 2 all stars in 1 season? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Quickening
03-19-2014, 05:21 AM
There goes Dirk's chances, since he raped the Heat in the 2011 Finals.

Wade was better in the series, try again.

ILLsmak
03-19-2014, 05:36 AM
Prolly not cuz if you got the best team then you generally have 3 all stars, or that's how it has been.

But KD is MVP. Godstats. I have been slipping on watching NBA (although I am gonna have time again), but when I get a few minutes I'll turn on some replays on NBA TV. Saw the other day that KD is averaging 31.8 ppg. That's insane. 31.8, 7.6 rebs (altho most are prolly easy grabs), 5.5 assists... 50% shooting, 40% 3... man.

When's the last time someone put up that many ppg? In this NBA that's a crazy stat... especially on a winning team.

-Smak

ILLsmak
03-19-2014, 05:38 AM
in the last 20 years of MVP's, who had more than 2 all stars in 1 season? :roll: :roll: :roll:

stevenashtho

-Smak

ripthekik
03-19-2014, 05:47 AM
stevenashtho

-Smak
So you have lebron and nash, two guy of least deserving guys in the last 20 years :applause: :applause: :applause:

Seems like the formula works.