PDA

View Full Version : Sprints versus endurance jogging

sundizz
03-19-2014, 04:34 AM
I am trying to live long, look good, and feel good. Lately, I've been reading a lot about how endurance exercising is not good (and possibly bad) for your overall health. I don't want to be jacked, but also don't want to have that skinny fat look some people that jog a lot have.

Key points:
-Lose 60% fat and 40% muscle when endurance training
-Your body's composition (look) doesn't change for the better. A big pear shaped person just becomes a smaller pear shaped person because they are losing so much muscle.
-The famished feeling cause you to eat more.
-As you get older you lose more and more muscle (which is bad).
-A low calorie diet generally cause people to live longer and healthier lives.
-intense training increase VO2 max much better. The heartrate spike from intense short burst training is much better for you.

These are not all haterade comments on long distance running. However, they are all directly or indirectly related to endurance training of any sorts.

I've spent the last 30 days getting into "training" shape by jogging. I think now I am going to switch it up to this:

M: Pullups, pushups, situps

T: Sprint training. 8 X 40 meters or so, with 2-4 minutes of rest in between each sprint.

W: Pullups, pushups, situps

Th:: Sprint training. 8 X 40 meters or so, with 2-4 minutes of rest in between each sprint.

F: Rest

Sat/Sun: ~3 hours of hoops each day

Any advice? No diet advice. Any personal success stories?

IamRAMBO24
03-19-2014, 04:51 AM
Mix it up. Say you run 4 miles and at the end of each mile you spent 30 seconds sprinting and then resume your normal pace, you are actually burning 50% more calories than pacing yourself.

From my personal experience, when I started doing this, it felt like I was doubling the exercise by those 30 seconds alone. It does something to your body.

alenleomessi
03-19-2014, 06:03 AM
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/5a/5a9a8472ded86039e53c56257cc6ab9e0bf713e937c139d81c dd78cfaaa1cc24.jpg
http://www.troll.me/images/next-zyzz/come-at-me-bro-i-do-cardio.jpg
http://www.troll.me/images/misc-corrupted-husband/honey-lets-make-love-tonight-cardio-ill-lose-my-gains.jpg

JGXEN
03-19-2014, 06:29 AM
I am trying to live long, look good, and feel good. Lately, I've been reading a lot about how endurance exercising is not good (and possibly bad) for your overall health. I don't want to be jacked, but also don't want to have that skinny fat look some people that jog a lot have.

Key points:
-Lose 60% fat and 40% muscle when endurance training
-Your body's composition (look) doesn't change for the better. A big pear shaped person just becomes a smaller pear shaped person because they are losing so much muscle.
-The famished feeling cause you to eat more.
-As you get older you lose more and more muscle (which is bad).
-A low calorie diet generally cause people to live longer and healthier lives.
-intense training increase VO2 max much better. The heartrate spike from intense short burst training is much better for you.

These are not all haterade comments on long distance running. However, they are all directly or indirectly related to endurance training of any sorts.

I've spent the last 30 days getting into "training" shape by jogging. I think now I am going to switch it up to this:

M: Pullups, pushups, situps

T: Sprint training. 8 X 40 meters or so, with 2-4 minutes of rest in between each sprint.

W: Pullups, pushups, situps

Th:: Sprint training. 8 X 40 meters or so, with 2-4 minutes of rest in between each sprint.

F: Rest

Sat/Sun: ~3 hours of hoops each day

Any advice? No diet advice. Any personal success stories?
Your sprinting training is insufficient. I used to do intervals by running 6x400m (each 400m lap must be at most 1min30s) and a 1:1 rest ratio. Or you could do 3x800m.

Trentknicks
03-19-2014, 06:43 AM
Sprinting all the way, after a point, your body needs to work at a very high intensity to cause major changes in the body. Think about it, go to your local or state marathon and I guarantee you'll see a hell of a lot of people competing who could be classified as out of shape.

If your doing say 30 seconds sprint/30 seconds light jog (don't stop moving in this time, just use it to catch your breath) and repeat for 4-6 minutes, and couple that with a healthy diet, I guarantee you'll see much better results in the next 30 days than you did the first.

Also, with your resistance training, I'd probably ease back a little on the frequency. Your body doesn't know what day it is, so you don't necessarily have to train it on a weekly basis. You seem committed and will probably get some results regardless but if I were you, and your after maximum results, here's what I'd do:

Day 1: Resistance Training
Day 2: Rest
Day 3: Sprints
Day 4: Rest

And continue to run it like that. Your giving your body plenty of time between workouts to recover, remember building/retaining muscle while burning fat is the goal here. If you feel overly sore, just take another day of rest. Results are what your trying to achieve, not an attendance record.

Usual tips you probably already know:
- Starting your day with a low carb, moderate (healthy) fat and moderate/high protein meal sends the signal to your body that fat loss is the goal from the get go.

- 8-9 hours of sleep is best.

- Healthy, fibrous and nutritious food is the way to go here, don't fall for that IIFYM crap. That still works to a degree, but how do you expect your body to make pretty major physiological changes when it's being fed less than the best.

- Eating most of your carbs after or around exercise will be best for promoting fat loss, your body really needs them to restore energy. On non workout days, eating your carbs later in the day and around bedtime has been found to be more beneficial (plenty of science on it, a quick google should get you plenty of info).

Best of luck, obviously this is pretty full on, but hey, work hard and get great results in a few months or piss around and achieve the same over a year or two.

Akrazotile
03-19-2014, 08:36 AM
Sprinting all the way, after a point, your body needs to work at a very high intensity to cause major changes in the body. Think about it, go to your local or state marathon and I guarantee you'll see a hell of a lot of people competing who could be classified as out of shape.

If your doing say 30 seconds sprint/30 seconds light jog (don't stop moving in this time, just use it to catch your breath) and repeat for 4-6 minutes, and couple that with a healthy diet, I guarantee you'll see much better results in the next 30 days than you did the first.

Also, with your resistance training, I'd probably ease back a little on the frequency. Your body doesn't know what day it is, so you don't necessarily have to train it on a weekly basis. You seem committed and will probably get some results regardless but if I were you, and your after maximum results, here's what I'd do:

Day 1: Resistance Training
Day 2: Rest
Day 3: Sprints
Day 4: Rest

And continue to run it like that. Your giving your body plenty of time between workouts to recover, remember building/retaining muscle while burning fat is the goal here. If you feel overly sore, just take another day of rest. Results are what your trying to achieve, not an attendance record.

Usual tips you probably already know:
- Starting your day with a low carb, moderate (healthy) fat and moderate/high protein meal sends the signal to your body that fat loss is the goal from the get go.

- 8-9 hours of sleep is best.

- Healthy, fibrous and nutritious food is the way to go here, don't fall for that IIFYM crap. That still works to a degree, but how do you expect your body to make pretty major physiological changes when it's being fed less than the best.

- Eating most of your carbs after or around exercise will be best for promoting fat loss, your body really needs them to restore energy. On non workout days, eating your carbs later in the day and around bedtime has been found to be more beneficial (plenty of science on it, a quick google should get you plenty of info).

Best of luck, obviously this is pretty full on, but hey, work hard and get great results in a few months or piss around and achieve the same over a year or two.

Good advices.

You should forward this to melo.

Rake2204
03-19-2014, 10:45 AM
This thread is interesting to me. I usually rely upon basketball for my conditioning shape. But when full court runs are not available, I often wonder what the best way may be for me to retain proper shape. I've noticed even when in great basketball shape, I still struggle with prolonged mid-speed endurance runs. So lately I've adjusted to intervals.

I will be curious to see what others share here. Good stuff thus far.

sundizz
03-19-2014, 06:33 PM
Thanks for all the information guys. It definitely helps.

My major concern is mostly not getting hurt doing this. I have a genetically weak body when it comes to exercising haha.

So I did my sprints and I feel great. Slept like a baby. Only problem is that my heel hurts a tiny bit.

I would love to run on grass, but my only option is a semi hard surface area near the river (I'm in a foreign country). They don't have much grass anywhere here (no parks with grass around me).

I realized that my jogging shoes are like micro thin. Should I wear my basketball shoes instead to do my sprints? The thickness would absorb the punishment better I think?

sundizz
03-19-2014, 06:38 PM
Akrazotile, could you expand a little bit more on the food stuff?

In the morning I generally eat 2 eggs, with a piece of toast (no butter).

In the afternoon, some beans, with rice, salsa and a bit of cheese. Or I bake some chicken breast and eat that with a bit of cheese and salsa.

Dinner usually something ethnic; like rice with vegetables/soupish type stuff.

I'm not looking to change my diet drastically, but would love to hear some non fish option for breakfast. My goal generally is to eat as much good food in a day as possible, and if I am still craving it, then allow myself a little bit of "bad food". I figure this is the best way to retrain my body and mind without going crazy and hating the process.

Since I have guinea pigs I do eat a good amount of veggies (carrots, bell peppers, lettuce, and other random stuff). I just eat it as I prepare it for them lol.

Myth
03-19-2014, 06:47 PM
Your sprinting training is insufficient. I used to do intervals by running 6x400m (each 400m lap must be at most 1min30s) and a 1:1 rest ratio. Or you could do 3x800m.

Either way you need to mix things up, but in all of my 8 years of competitive sprinting, I never did 6x400m or 3x800. That might make more sense for 800m runners than sprinters. 8x40s is way closer to something sprinters would actually do, although 2 to 4 minutes rest between each one is pretty excessive. Although, we didn't do 8x40s and call it a day. The workouts were longer as a whole. And we did core workouts 6 days a week.

Akrazotile
03-19-2014, 06:50 PM

In the afternoon, some beans, with rice, salsa and a bit of cheese. Or I bake some chicken breast and eat that with a bit of cheese and salsa.

I'm not looking to change my diet drastically, but would love to hear some non fish option for breakfast. My goal generally is to eat as much good food in a day as possible, and if I am still craving it, then allow myself a little bit of "bad food". I figure this is the best way to retrain my body and mind without going crazy and hating the process.

Since I have guinea pigs I do eat a good amount of veggies (carrots, bell peppers, lettuce, and other random stuff). I just eat it as I prepare it for them lol.

Whut?

I dont know anything about this stuff. I was just saying the guy with the good dieting advice should pass it along to Carmelo.

Trentknicks
03-19-2014, 06:57 PM
Thanks for all the information guys. It definitely helps.

My major concern is mostly not getting hurt doing this. I have a genetically weak body when it comes to exercising haha.

So I did my sprints and I feel great. Slept like a baby. Only problem is that my heel hurts a tiny bit.

I would love to run on grass, but my only option is a semi hard surface area near the river (I'm in a foreign country). They don't have much grass anywhere here (no parks with grass around me).

I realized that my jogging shoes are like micro thin. Should I wear my basketball shoes instead to do my sprints? The thickness would absorb the punishment better I think?

I think your referring to my post? Just out of curiosity, which country are you living in?

Injury prevention is imperative, you can't get results when your injured, so spend a few minutes warming up and doing some static/light stretching to get the loose and warmed up feeling. A rough surface isn't ideal to run on, so if you have the option, maybe try running up a hill or incline surface? This way, the intensity of your exercise is still really high, but the speed isn't going to be as fast as on a flat surface (more time to see obstacles or potholes, less stress on joints).

As for the basketball shoes, if they feel better to run in, then go for it. Better to wear out them than your ankles/knees. I usually buy good shoes but decided to be cheap once and I found my knees and ankles were sore from simply walking around at uni and work!

Diet wise, maybe you should try buy a protein powder if it's available, really easy way to supplement it into your diet on top of what your already getting. Increasing your protein intake will help in the building/maintaining of muscle, as protein is much less likely to be turned into fat. Don't wildly restrict carbs or fats, just try to get most of them from healthy sources. Here's a few ideas of healthy sources of each macronutrient (keeping in mind you don't like fish).

Protein:
- Chicken
- Eggs
- Beef/red meat
- Protein powders
- Milk

Fat:
- Eggs
- Avocado
- Almonds
- Most nuts really (go for unsalted)

Carbs:
- Vegetables
- Fruits
- Rice (brown's slightly better)
- Pasta (brown again)
- Bread

JGXEN
03-19-2014, 11:58 PM
Either way you need to mix things up, but in all of my 8 years of competitive sprinting, I never did 6x400m or 3x800. That might make more sense for 800m runners than sprinters. 8x40s is way closer to something sprinters would actually do, although 2 to 4 minutes rest between each one is pretty excessive. Although, we didn't do 8x40s and call it a day. The workouts were longer as a whole. And we did core workouts 6 days a week.
I was in the military and that's how they trained us for the physical tests. Its good for losing weight because its considered as hiit, and it helps to increase your speed greatly for short-medium distance running(<3km)

sundizz
03-20-2014, 02:52 AM
Okay thanks for the help everyone. I guess I'll keep somewhat close to what I originally planned, but instead do my sprints at the beach instead. I need to practice not going heel to toe or whatever but rather being on the balls of my feet more. I'm definitely taking it slow though and gearing up. Definitely is a lot more fun than running long distance...feels like being a kid again haha.

Myth
03-20-2014, 03:26 AM
I was in the military and that's how they trained us for the physical tests. Its good for losing weight because its considered as hiit, and it helps to increase your speed greatly for short-medium distance running(<3km)

That would actually make sense with what I said. I was talking pure sprints (which is fast at losing fat and builds muscle, but not great for endurance). As I was saying, what you described would be like an 800 meter runner's workout, which would be short distance running, and (my guess) better for military personnel to get out of immediate danger zones while still having some remaining energy afterwards. 3km is actually not considered sprints at all in track.

32jazz
03-20-2014, 06:58 AM
I would recommend hill sprints. I was seeing limited gains until I began a regimen of 6-12 hill sprints at the local freeway overpass.

Takes no more than 20-30 minutes per workout several days (4-5) per week.

Coupled with light weights 2-3 days a week I can definitely see great physique changes.

sundizz
03-21-2014, 02:07 AM
I would recommend hill sprints. I was seeing limited gains until I began a regimen of 6-12 hill sprints at the local freeway overpass.

Takes no more than 20-30 minutes per workout several days (4-5) per week.

Coupled with light weights 2-3 days a week I can definitely see great physique changes.

Does anyone do their sprints on sand (barefeet). I'm a bit concerned about doing sprints mainly because I need to improve my running stride (way too much heel involved). My choices are either a pretty rough concreteish track area, or though it's more effort to get there, the beach.

I'll definitely try to find a good hill. I think that'll definitely be next level for me. Right now, I'm just trying not to overtrain, and to get into good physical shape. I'll try push myself harder when I get back to California (in South Korea right now).

El Kabong
03-21-2014, 02:32 AM
Interesting. I've been told I need to do more interval training, but i've mostly been concentrating on endurance stuff. Might need to swap it around a bit.

Myth
03-21-2014, 02:53 AM
Does anyone do their sprints on sand (barefeet). I'm a bit concerned about doing sprints mainly because I need to improve my running stride (way too much heel involved). My choices are either a pretty rough concreteish track area, or though it's more effort to get there, the beach.

I'll definitely try to find a good hill. I think that'll definitely be next level for me. Right now, I'm just trying not to overtrain, and to get into good physical shape. I'll try push myself harder when I get back to California (in South Korea right now).

The best way to improve your running stride is to run on land that is as flat as you will actually be running on. Running on sand would strengthen muscles and be easy on joints, but ultimately it forces you to run somewhat differently which is not as beneficial to what you normally would run on. Same goes for hills. Hills will really strengthen your quads, but will do less for your hamstrings than flat land. What hills are really good for are improving your starts. When you start off running, you lean more forward (at peak speeds though your body is more straight up), which means it is more quad work and is at a similar angle your body and legs are at when on hills. If you over train one side or the other (i.e., your hamstrings or your quads rather than more equally), it creates tension pulling harder on one side and makes you more likely to pull or tear muscles. Keeping all this in mind, it is fine doing more novelty workouts such as hills and sand, but make sure you balance things out and have a majority of your workouts be more similar to the exercise you actually want to improve.

sundizz
03-21-2014, 03:40 AM
The best way to improve your running stride is to run on land that is as flat as you will actually be running on. Running on sand would strengthen muscles and be easy on joints, but ultimately it forces you to run somewhat differently which is not as beneficial to what you normally would run on. Same goes for hills. Hills will really strengthen your quads, but will do less for your hamstrings than flat land. What hills are really good for are improving your starts. When you start off running, you lean more forward (at peak speeds though your body is more straight up), which means it is more quad work and is at a similar angle your body and legs are at when on hills. If you over train one side or the other (i.e., your hamstrings or your quads rather than more equally), it creates tension pulling harder on one side and makes you more likely to pull or tear muscles. Keeping all this in mind, it is fine doing more novelty workouts such as hills and sand, but make sure you balance things out and have a majority of your workouts be more similar to the exercise you actually want to improve.

This makes sense. Good to know. Thanks. Ah, just looking out the window and the weather is soooooo nice. It's going to be hard not to overtrain the next few weeks. Getting some new kicks in the mail in 12 days as well...love when Fall becomes Spring/Summer.

Myth
03-21-2014, 05:37 AM
This makes sense. Good to know. Thanks. Ah, just looking out the window and the weather is soooooo nice. It's going to be hard not to overtrain the next few weeks. Getting some new kicks in the mail in 12 days as well...love when Fall becomes Spring/Summer.

No problem. Don't ignore your core (including abs, hips, and lower back). :cheers:

sundizz
03-26-2014, 08:08 PM
Does anybody else get sick after exercising hard? I forgot about this (problem of mine).

I did a real good sprint workout yesterday 4 pm. Felt beast. Then felt a tickle in the throat an hour or so later. Eventually, around 10 pm I knew I'd had a full out sore throat.

I feel like this always happens to me; that I get sick when I push myself even just a little bit due to exercise. So frustrating.

Maybe it is something to do with my breathing..argh i dunno..:confusedshrug:
I guess it is because I trained outside and probably did a lot of mouth breathing since I was sprinting. I've spent a lot of time relearning how to breathe the past year (going from mouth breathing to nose breathing), so probably this influx of air from mouth breathing really irritated my throat.

Anybody got any experience with this, or suggestions?

Draz
03-26-2014, 09:50 PM
I think your referring to my post? Just out of curiosity, which country are you living in?

Injury prevention is imperative, you can't get results when your injured, so spend a few minutes warming up and doing some static/light stretching to get the loose and warmed up feeling. A rough surface isn't ideal to run on, so if you have the option, maybe try running up a hill or incline surface? This way, the intensity of your exercise is still really high, but the speed isn't going to be as fast as on a flat surface (more time to see obstacles or potholes, less stress on joints).

As for the basketball shoes, if they feel better to run in, then go for it. Better to wear out them than your ankles/knees. I usually buy good shoes but decided to be cheap once and I found my knees and ankles were sore from simply walking around at uni and work!

Diet wise, maybe you should try buy a protein powder if it's available, really easy way to supplement it into your diet on top of what your already getting. Increasing your protein intake will help in the building/maintaining of muscle, as protein is much less likely to be turned into fat. Don't wildly restrict carbs or fats, just try to get most of them from healthy sources. Here's a few ideas of healthy sources of each macronutrient (keeping in mind you don't like fish).

Protein:
- Chicken
- Eggs
- Beef/red meat
- Protein powders
- Milk

Fat:
- Eggs
- Avocado
- Almonds
- Most nuts really (go for unsalted)

Carbs:
- Vegetables
- Fruits
- Rice (brown's slightly better)
- Pasta (brown again)
- Bread

Future repped :applause:

JEFFERSON MONEY
03-26-2014, 09:57 PM
Someone tell me the importance of LISS training and the dangers of too much sprinting on right ventricular hypertrophy correctly before I go on and tell everyone to fukk off the treadmill.

Akrazotile
03-27-2014, 01:04 AM
Does anybody else get sick after exercising hard? I forgot about this (problem of mine).

I did a real good sprint workout yesterday 4 pm. Felt beast. Then felt a tickle in the throat an hour or so later. Eventually, around 10 pm I knew I'd had a full out sore throat.

I feel like this always happens to me; that I get sick when I push myself even just a little bit due to exercise. So frustrating.

Maybe it is something to do with my breathing..argh i dunno..:confusedshrug:
I guess it is because I trained outside and probably did a lot of mouth breathing since I was sprinting. I've spent a lot of time relearning how to breathe the past year (going from mouth breathing to nose breathing), so probably this influx of air from mouth breathing really irritated my throat.

Anybody got any experience with this, or suggestions?

Yes, actually my body is very sensitive to equilibrium and when I dont get enough sleep or if my blood sugar gets thrown off due to calorie deficiency or too strenuous exercise I start to get really sick if I dont immediately get the sleep/calories/etc.

First thing I get is the sore throat. Then runny nose. Usually at this point I know Ive pushed something too hard and I try and get rest right away. But if I dont I end up with a brutal fever by the next morning.

Im always shocked when people can sleep like four hours a night for like a week straight, or can fast for days etc. Ive tried to do these things and my immune system just straight up dies and I literally end up with a flu that lasts for days EVERY TIME i try to push my diet/sleep/exercise beyond its normal levels. Its actually pretty frustrating bc Id rather be able to sleep and eat a little bit less but for some reason my body is just programmed to need more sleep and calories than the avg person I think.

sundizz
03-27-2014, 03:06 AM
Yes, actually my body is very sensitive to equilibrium and when I dont get enough sleep or if my blood sugar gets thrown off due to calorie deficiency or too strenuous exercise I start to get really sick if I dont immediately get the sleep/calories/etc.

First thing I get is the sore throat. Then runny nose. Usually at this point I know Ive pushed something too hard and I try and get rest right away. But if I dont I end up with a brutal fever by the next morning.

Im always shocked when people can sleep like four hours a night for like a week straight, or can fast for days etc. Ive tried to do these things and my immune system just straight up dies and I literally end up with a flu that lasts for days EVERY TIME i try to push my diet/sleep/exercise beyond its normal levels. Its actually pretty frustrating bc Id rather be able to sleep and eat a little bit less but for some reason my body is just programmed to need more sleep and calories than the avg person I think.

Okay. Thanks for that. So it's not just me with the frustrating genetics. My gf never exercises, but has such naturally good genetics (breathing, heart rate, gets deep sleep on command, etc). She did the sprints and she feels fine. I even did like 3 weeks of slow endurance training + play hoops regularly just to get ready for sprints. So frustrating (and scary) how weak my immune system is. I eat right (carrots, bell peppers, chicken breast) etc and she just eats so-so and a bunch of desserts.

I guess I'll just try to get my fluids in, get some real good rest, and take a few days off and then push it again.

sundizz
04-01-2014, 12:17 AM
Sort of a self post; I just want to see where I am at the end of the April. If anybody else wants to post their before/after for the month and motivate each other let's do this!

Starting
73 kgs (161 lbs)
5'7
Sprint speed going 70% for 40 yards (going to test this and will update)
Max pushups 25
Max pullups 6
Max dips 10

Schedule for April
Mon: Sprints (speed/high heart rate/minimal rest 8 X 40)
Tues: Pullups X 5 sets, Pushups X 5 sets, Dips X 5...rest as much as needed
Wed: Hoops
Thursday: Pullups X 5 sets, Pushups X 5 sets, Dips X 5...rest as much as needed
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Sprints (speed/high heart rate/minimal rest 8 X 40)
Sunday: Rest/badminton (doesn't even count as exercise lol)

Anybody know of an Android App to measure distance? I want to figure out how far 40 yards is on the unmarked grass field I'm using. Also, I use a semi grass/muddy field. Easy on the joints it seems compared to a harder surface.