PDA

View Full Version : The 12 ABSOLUTE WORST NBA players vs the Top college team...Who wins?

tgan3
03-20-2014, 10:00 PM
Let say you form 12 of the worst NBA players, guys they are either over-the-hill or just rotting on the bench getting no minutes.

Vs the top college team.

I'm pretty sure the college guys win, i want to see this being played...

Edit: (I just took 12 of the worst PIE nba players)

Hasheem Thabeet
Lou Amundson
Tornike Shengeila
Shannon Brown
Earl Watson
Mike Muscala
Jason Collins
Erik Murphy
Stephen Jackson
Darius Johnson Odom
Mustafa Shakur
Brandon davies

vs say Kansas?

TheReal Kendall
03-20-2014, 10:03 PM
List the players and the top college team

I<3NBA
03-20-2014, 10:09 PM
the NBA players. men vs boys. remember that these NBA players are still the top players in the world. that college team at most will only have 1 to 2 players that are NBA level.

Myth
03-20-2014, 10:19 PM
Top college teams usually have 2 lottery pick caliber and 1 other 1st round caliber players, followed by others who play their role well. I'll take them.

hateraid
03-20-2014, 10:22 PM
Every NBA player including the 12th man was one of or the best player on their college team. Gimme the NBA guys

zoom17
03-20-2014, 10:24 PM
:facepalm what a dumb Thread

Milbuck
03-20-2014, 10:29 PM
If Embiid was healthy and Wiggins is on his A-game, Kansas has an outside shot. But overall, it's the NBA guys 9 times out of 10.

tgan3
03-20-2014, 10:30 PM
:facepalm what a dumb Thread

No its not, seriously will someone like Steve Nash outplay Marcus Smart as of right now???!!!

:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Myth
03-20-2014, 10:34 PM
Every NBA player including the 12th man was one of or the best player on their college team. Gimme the NBA guys

But the top team will have guys who are the best players in all of college, not just their team, and will be towards the best of the NBA shortly. Give me Embiid and Wiggins surrounded by hard working teammates over Jason Collins, Ognjen Kuzmic, and the gang.

kobeef24
03-20-2014, 10:36 PM

But you have to keep in mind that people age and regress. I still think I'd give it to the guys in the NBA though. Even top prospects in college take time to adjust to the NBA.

TheReal Kendall
03-20-2014, 10:37 PM
My money is on the NBA team

Myth
03-20-2014, 10:38 PM
The 12 worst players in the NBA probably will never sniff 10 minutes of NBA action before being cut, and likely aren't any more experienced than the top college players. Meanwhile, the top college team has a couple true stars and guys that know how to fill their roles.

After thinking about it, the real mistake is assuming the worst NBA players are the washed up vets, when it is really the guys that made it to the NBA by mistake and we never really hear of them because they don't step on the floor. A bunch of "potential" draftees late in the 2nd round that don't pan out. Embiid and Wiggins would eat them for breakfast.

Myth
03-20-2014, 10:44 PM
Hasheem Thabeet
Lou Amundson
Tornike Shengeila
Shannon Brown
Earl Watson
Mike Muscala
Jason Collins
Erik Murphy
Stephen Jackson
Darius Johnson Odom
Mustafa Shakur
Brandon davies

vs say Kansas?

The real worst players would not have hit the floor yet and would have no vet savvy to them. There is no way Thabeet, Collins, Stephen Jackson, Watson, Amundson, or Brown are in the 12 worst.

ILLsmak
03-20-2014, 10:47 PM
The real worst players would not have hit the floor yet and would have no vet savvy to them. There is no way Thabeet, Collins, Stephen Jackson, Watson, Amundson, or Brown are in the 12 worst.

yea cuz every one of those guys except maybe Thabeet you could plug into a team during crunch time... due to foul trouble or whatever... and they wouldn't **** it up.

They might not offer anything, but they'd be able to play with top lvl comp.

-Smak

Eric Cartman
03-20-2014, 10:54 PM
If the college team is Kevin Durant's Texas (kd has to be playing absolutely out of his mind) or Billy Donovan's Gators i'll take the college team, any other team i'll take the NBA 12th guys.

Droid101
03-20-2014, 11:03 PM
Too hard to pick the worst players... most of them never play.

How about the current Sixers vs Kansas?

JimmyMcAdocious
03-20-2014, 11:24 PM
Any list without Chris Duhon puts the poster in my 12 ABSOLUTE WORST ISH posters.

Draz
03-20-2014, 11:30 PM
I want to see the best college players versus any NBA team. They should do it for fun.

JimmyMcAdocious
03-20-2014, 11:37 PM
Didn't they do Team USA (when it was only college players) vs the NBA before? I thought I saw that on YouTube. Jordan was in it as a college kid..

Here this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrjhIXKc6Xk

USA vs NBA Stars.

1984 USA Olympic Team

Michael Jordan
Alvin Robertson
Vernon Fleming
Sam Perkins
Patrick Ewing

Steve Alford
Leon Wood
Joe Kleine
Jon Koncak
Wayman Tisdale
Chris Mullin
Sam Perkins
Jeff Turner

NBA All-Stars

Magic Johnson
Isiah Thomas
Walter Davis
Alex English
Larry Nance

Michael Cooper
Butch Carter
Kiki Vandeweghe
Kurt Rambis

Funny thing is, I think people would choose that college team over the NBA Allstars in hindsight. :oldlol:

MJ, Robertson, Perkins, Ewing, Mullin.. Even Tisdale was good for 20/8 back at his peak.

Just re-watched that. I don't know how could watch that game and think, hmm... maybe I should draft Sam Bowie over that Jordan guy. He shit all over NBA allstars as a college kid. Ewing and Perkins looked like monsters, too. Walter Davis and Nance are beasts.

sejoon101
03-21-2014, 12:07 AM
Dumb thread is dumb. Like seriously. Middle school lunch talk. Better question would be worst d league players vs a top college team. And still not sure if college can win

Bless Mathews
03-21-2014, 12:27 AM
Good thread.

Fucc the haters

Kansas starting 5 vs bottom nba 12 starting 5? Kansas all day.

Kansas 6-12 bench players????? Eek. Vs NBA? Nba?????

Close.

If I was betting, I'd type Kansas. Close though

blood yes
03-21-2014, 12:30 AM
Too hard to pick the worst players... most of them never play.

How about the current Sixers vs Kansas?
12 absolute worst nba players, fair, ill debate with that, but this??!?!

This is the most retarded thing ive ever heard, and i thought you were a somewhat respectable poster. I dont care how many games the 76ers lost in a row, a full nba team with a MCW that already has almost a full season on his belt, and Thaddeus Young, who will eat Kansas up alive?

the 76ers would tear em apart, Wiggins would be the only one to score more than 10 points! As for thaddeus young, who's guarding him? He'd go off for 30-10-10 on a college squad...

Droid101
03-21-2014, 12:47 AM
12 absolute worst nba players, fair, ill debate with that, but this??!?!

This is the most retarded thing ive ever heard, and i thought you were a somewhat respectable poster. I dont care how many games the 76ers lost in a row, a full nba team with a MCW that already has almost a full season on his belt, and Thaddeus Young, who will eat Kansas up alive?

the 76ers would tear em apart, Wiggins would be the only one to score more than 10 points! As for thaddeus young, who's guarding him? He'd go off for 30-10-10 on a college squad...
This is why I asked. I don't follow college ball.

mr.big35
03-21-2014, 12:49 AM
what rules are they playing in. if its college rules than college players have a chance. if its played in nba rule than college players have no chance

D.J.
03-21-2014, 12:55 AM
Just to take random a college team, we'll use the '92 Arkansas squad:

Todd Day(8th)
Oliver Miller(22nd)
Lee Mayberry(23rd)
Isiah Morris(37th)

Even the best of teams are only going to send 1 lottery pick, 1-2 late 1st rounders, and maybe a 2nd rounder. And even that is a bit generous. The best case scenario is usually probably a lottery pick and 1-2 that go in the late 1st round into the 2nd round.

Here's the thing; even the biggest scrubs in the NBA were stars in the NCAA. Let's look at a few:

-Brian Scalabrine averaged 18/6/3 on 53% shooting and 40% from downtown his junior year at USC

-Bo Kimble(who played just 3 years in the league) averaged 35/8 on 53% shooting and 46% from downtown his last year at Loyola Marymount

-Derrick Dial(who played just 4 years in the league) averaged 21/7 on 48% shooting and 40% from downtown his senior year at Eastern Michigan

-Doug Overton averaged 22/5/4 his senior year at LaSalle

Those are all guys who were either career journeyman at best, or lasted only a few years in the league. All dominated in college. Even the shittiest players in the NBA were studs in the NCAA. The worst guys in the NBA would definitely wipe the floor with the best NCAA players. Stronger, higher ball IQ, more experience.

Psileas
03-21-2014, 01:10 AM
"Top college team" hasn't been clearly defined.
However, let's see it logically: Take 12 guys from the bottom of the last 2 drafts alone or, in general, the least successful players of the last 2 drafts. These are likely to be among the very worst NBA players: Not enough talent to play good minutes + not much older/more experienced than the NCAA players, not to mention some of them may play for teams that don't care to win due to aiming high for the next draft, so talk about their morale being not exactly high. Some may even have regressed since their NCAA days. Why should I expect from these 12 scrubs to beat an all-NCAA team, which may already include players more NBA-ready, mostly coming off some serious NCAA programs, not some desperate tankers who couldn't care less about their scrubs?

Psileas
03-21-2014, 01:16 AM
Look at it this way: Do you think the 12 worst players from the 1984 NBA could beat the 1984 USA Olympic Team? The same team that, you know, used to face and beat teams comprised of NBA All-Stars? OK, the NBAers were not in seasonal form, but I'd still expect them to beat the 12 worst NBA players of that time.

tgan3
03-21-2014, 02:48 AM
Look at it this way: Do you think the 12 worst players from the 1984 NBA could beat the 1984 USA Olympic Team? The same team that, you know, used to face and beat teams comprised of NBA All-Stars? OK, the NBAers were not in seasonal form, but I'd still expect them to beat the 12 worst NBA players of that time.

That's what im talking about. I can't believe another poster said that the worst d league team will have a fight against the best college team compromising of some future nba stars. :no:

He doesn't even watch d-league. I do on occasion and trust me besides a few really good players, the worst d-league teams are a mix of a bunch of over-the-hill NBA players (like lates 30s-40) to people who are tweeners (like sub 6 foot point guards or 6'9 overweight centers that kind of thing).

BTW, the d leagues have tryouts where any top dick and harry who have graduated high school can play. I imagine the talent pool to be really diluted.

source:https://dleaguetryouts.nba.com/FAQs.aspx

Myth
03-21-2014, 03:02 AM
That's what im talking about. I can't believe another poster said that the worst d league team will have a fight against the best college team compromising of some future nba stars. :no:

He doesn't even watch d-league. I do on occasion and trust me besides a few really good players, the worst d-league teams are a mix of a bunch of over-the-hill NBA players (like lates 30s-40) to people who are tweeners (like sub 6 foot point guards or 6'9 overweight centers that kind of thing).

BTW, the d leagues have tryouts where any top dick and harry who have graduated high school can play. I imagine the talent pool to be really diluted.

source:https://dleaguetryouts.nba.com/FAQs.aspx

Bottoms aren't allowed? :roll:

iamgine
03-21-2014, 03:07 AM
Let say you form 12 of the worst NBA players, guys they are either over-the-hill or just rotting on the bench getting no minutes.

Vs the top college team.

I'm pretty sure the college guys win, i want to see this being played...

Edit: (I just took 12 of the worst PIE nba players)

Hasheem Thabeet
Lou Amundson
Tornike Shengeila
Shannon Brown
Earl Watson
Mike Muscala
Jason Collins
Erik Murphy
Stephen Jackson
Darius Johnson Odom
Mustafa Shakur
Brandon davies

vs say Kansas?
12 worst NBA players would be the last picked rookies who has no NBA experience.

This is a safe list:

Marko Todorovic
Erick Green
Raul Neto
James Ennis
Romero Osby
Colton Iverson
Arsalan Kazemi
Joffrey Lauvergne
Alex Oriakhi
Deshaun Thomas
Bojan Dubljevic
Janis Timma

Once you include players like Hasheem Thabeet and Stephen Jackson who would absolutely destroy the college players, it's not fair anymore.

Myth
03-21-2014, 03:10 AM
12 worst NBA players would be the last picked rookies who has no NBA experience.

This is a safe list:

Marko Todorovic
Erick Green
Raul Neto
James Ennis
Romero Osby
Colton Iverson
Arsalan Kazemi
Joffrey Lauvergne
Alex Oriakhi
Deshaun Thomas
Bojan Dubljevic
Janis Timma

This is more along the lines of what I've been talking about. And it is even possible that these no names aren't even the absolute worst.

tomtucker
03-21-2014, 03:52 AM
The 12 worst players in the NBA probably will never sniff 10 minutes of NBA action before being cut, and likely aren't any more experienced than the top college players. Meanwhile, the top college team has a couple true stars and guys that know how to fill their roles.

After thinking about it, the real mistake is assuming the worst NBA players are the washed up vets, when it is really the guys that made it to the NBA by mistake and we never really hear of them because they don't step on the floor. A bunch of "potential" draftees late in the 2nd round that don't pan out. Embiid and Wiggins would eat them for breakfast.

Yeah, it should be the worst NBA players that actually plays....i think that was also what OP means................and then i see the college team getting crushed .

tomtucker
03-21-2014, 03:54 AM
top dick and harry

:oldlol: :roll:

kshutts1
03-21-2014, 09:15 AM
The worst NBA players would lose, for a couple of reasons...

The OP defined no positions, so we'd likely see a lot of the same positions... likely 3-7 Cs, 3-7 G, and a couple F... basically 12 players that don't fit together AT ALL. Even if their talent level was higher, they've also never played together, and the fit is likely terrible.

Secondly, not to generalize, but the worst NBA players are typically players coming from other "professional" leagues, or the rare US college player that gets drafted solely on his measureables. I don't remember the name, as I watch NBA only, but I remember a kid being picked that was not even a starter on his own college team, and he averaged something like 6/4. Even if he had a decent NBA career, the premise still stands; GMs take (often stupid) chances.

Now, as I think Myth said, if we're talking "the worst NBA players that people know about"... such as current Nash, SJax, etc... then NBA players win more than they lose, though they'd still face positional restrictions, as well as dealing with chemistry.

97 bulls
03-21-2014, 09:37 AM
The worst nba team would murder a college team. Have we forgotten that these players are in the nba because they were the best in college? All college teams have perhaps one maybe two nba caliber players. And im not talkin about the stars, im referring to 12th men. Literally every college team, even the best ones have 10 to 11 guys that are nowhere close being good enough to make an nba roster.

Myth
03-21-2014, 09:49 AM
Literally every college team, even the best ones have 10 to 11 guys that are nowhere close being good enough to make an nba roster.

2012 Kentucky had like 6 players drafted (not sure if more of them were drafted in 2013), including the top 2 picks in the draft. We may see something similar from them this year.

And it isn't always the best players that get drafted. Plenty of players are drafted based on potential rather than actual production. Dion Waiters was drafted #4 even though he came off the bench, while starter Kris Joseph who put up similar stats went #51.

Real Men Wear Green
03-21-2014, 09:51 AM
Kansas may win it all but they aren't the #1 college team by ranking or even a #1 seed in the tournament. The top-ranked team is Florida, and ironically enough many analysts have said they don't have any NBA pros. Wilbekin and Young may make it as roleplayers.

freshperry
03-21-2014, 09:55 AM
Keep in mind the 12 worst players in the nba can include scrub ROOKIES. Youre telling me anthony bennett is not an argguable top 12 worst player? He doesnt have enough nba experience to validate your claim of experience > talent . Plus this guy was the #1 draft pick. Think about players like austin rivers.....

TheMan
03-21-2014, 10:42 AM
GTFOH, the NBA scrubs would wipe the floor with those kids.:facepalm

justin12140
03-21-2014, 11:21 AM
theres a HUGE difference between nba players and college. I remember when people where wondering if that AD Kentucky squad could beat that years Bobcats (answer: hell no).

Even if they are future stars in the NBA there is such a big jump in skill. shit just look at the rookie-sophmore games when it was actually rookies vs sophmores. Pretty much every year the sophmores would blow out the rookies

Marchesk
03-21-2014, 11:35 AM
Why is Kansas being mentioned? They have 10 losses on the season. Try the team a couple hours southwest. The team who has a chance to be the first forty win team in history. They don't have lottery NBA talent, but they have the better team (as in play better together, more experienced, more consistent).

Marchesk
03-21-2014, 11:38 AM
theres a HUGE difference between nba players and college. I remember when people where wondering if that AD Kentucky squad could beat that years Bobcats (answer: hell no).

Even if they are future stars in the NBA there is such a big jump in skill. shit just look at the rookie-sophmore games when it was actually rookies vs sophmores. Pretty much every year the sophmores would blow out the rookies

Yeah, but we're throwing 12 NBA guys together and having them play a team. So is that talent, age and experience differential enough to overcome not having played together?

Real Men Wear Green
03-21-2014, 12:13 PM
Why is Kansas being mentioned? They have 10 losses on the season. Try the team a couple hours southwest. The team who has a chance to be the first forty win team in history. They don't have lottery NBA talent, but they have the better team (as in play better together, more experienced, more consistent).I agree with you that they have not shown themselves to be the best team in college but to answer your question people tend to give the edge to perceived talent in these kinds of discussions. Kansas is the only team that has two projected top 5 picks, we could even go as far as saying two of the projected top 3.