PDA

View Full Version : True or False: If MJ didnt like baseball, Hakeem would be ringless?

MavsSuperFan
03-21-2014, 01:36 PM
Would the rockets still have won those 2 titles if Jordan had not been distracted by baseball?

Personally I am of the opinion that Jordan would have won 8 straight championships if had not decided to play baseball. And that Jordan's first retirement benefited Hakeem's legacy greatly.

ABfor3
03-21-2014, 01:38 PM
we will never know.

beastee
03-21-2014, 01:39 PM
False. Jordan did not like baseball all that much. He was in a major gambling debt with the mob that got his father murdered and the NBA and Jerry Reinsdorf (Owner of Bulls & White Sox) crafted a touching, convenient story. It's a shame, because the Bulls would have had the 8-peat. It was amazing to see the strides he made in Birmingham though. What a great athlete.

SpecialQue
03-21-2014, 01:40 PM
Jordan would have burned out by 95 or 96. At most he'd 5-peat, lose the following season, and maybe win another one or two. He'd definitely win in 94 just because of how far the team went without him.

DJ Leon Smith
03-21-2014, 01:41 PM
Honestly can't say. If anyone was going to beat a Bulls team in the finals it would have been a team with a truly dominant center and the Rockets would give the Bulls trouble during regular season matchups (I think - could be mistaken but I remember the Rockets and Spurs being two teams the Bulls would generally have trouble with).

P.S. If this is a thread trying to discredit Hakeem to bump up a current era player, hang yourself now.

moe94
Let's be real, anyone who thinks they'd 8peat is drunk off Nike koolaid.

IncarceratedBob
Hakeems rings will always be tainted

SpecialQue
03-21-2014, 01:42 PM
Hakeems rings will always be tainted

Hakeem's taint will always be ringed.

Rocketswin2013
03-21-2014, 01:43 PM
Look at it like this, IF, IF the Bulls were to beat the Rockets both times, there's no way they win the next 3, their bodies would have been so done with it would have taken all of their rotational players out of their athletic and production primes and peaks.. 5 NBA titles in a row in the modern era......... That's a really tough feat. Regardless, Jordan leaving and the Bulls getting a break worked out for both franchises.

DJ Leon Smith
03-21-2014, 01:43 PM
False. Jordan did not like baseball all that much. He was in a major gambling debt with the mob that got his father murdered.

This is false and also libel.

SpecialQue
03-21-2014, 01:48 PM
Look at it like this, IF, IF the Bulls were to beat the Rockets both times, there's no way they win the next 3, their bodies would have been so done with it would have taken all of their rotational players out of their athletic and production primes and peaks.. 5 NBA titles in a row in the modern era......... That's a really tough feat. Regardless, Jordan leaving and the Bulls getting a break worked out for both franchises.

The Jordan myth has gotten people thinking he's a god or something. There's a reason why repeating titles is so difficult and three-peating is an elite club. It's very, very difficult for even the best athlete to maintain this kind of high performance over an extended period of time.

SamuraiSWISH
03-21-2014, 01:48 PM
Easily ...

'94 Knicks almost beat the '94 Rockets if it wasn't for Stark's LeBron / Kobe-esque mental collapse in a game 7.

'94, and '94 being the last 2 years of MJ's physical prime?

Pippen peaked in '94?
Horace peaked in '94?
B.J. Armstrong peaked in '94?

Add in Toni Kukoc off the bench, and some Jo Jo White to fight the New York Knick thugs?

We take 1994 easily. 4 peat nigguhs.

1995 sans Horace? Definitely more difficult. But with MJ in basketball shape, skills still refined and not showing up to a gun fight with a rusty switch blade?

No one bets against Jordan. If he met Clyde in the '95 Finals, he'd once again be forced to make him his bitch on national television.

GOAT gonna GOAT

iamgine
03-21-2014, 01:49 PM
As true as if Hakeem and MJ switched teammates, MJ would be ringless.

SamuraiSWISH
03-21-2014, 01:52 PM
The Jordan myth has gotten people thinking he's a god or something.
Nah, just basketball god.

fpliii
03-21-2014, 01:52 PM
False. :banana:

moe94
03-21-2014, 01:53 PM
The Jordan myth has gotten people thinking he's a god or something.

You're just picking up on this? :oldlol:

I legit think there is a good portion of Jordan nuts that think he could scare off a Tiger because of his undeniable "killer instinct".

SpecialQue
03-21-2014, 01:54 PM

I legit think there is a good portion of Jordan nuts that think he could scare off a Tiger because of his undeniable "killer instinct".

They probably also call this "swag": http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2gd0m0lBR1qe1pkvo1_500.gif

SamuraiSWISH
03-21-2014, 01:54 PM

He was taking MTV hosts BBC virginity card in games of blackjack. Of course he could scare a Tiger with his look. Psssh

Rocketswin2013
03-21-2014, 01:55 PM

Nah...........

He'd probably kill a silverback Gorilla though.............

:lol

beastee
03-21-2014, 01:55 PM
This is false and also libel.

Just wait and see in 20-30 years when this comes out. If you grew up in Chicago area it is pretty much the unspoken truth. Not saying every detail is exact, but people will be shocked to see what David Stern did for his most important Face.

moe94
03-21-2014, 01:56 PM
He was taking MTV hosts BBC virginity card in games of blackjack. Of course he could scare a Tiger with his look. Psssh

http://goodmenproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Russell-Westbrook.jpg

SpecialQue
03-21-2014, 01:58 PM
Just wait and see in 20-30 years when this comes out. If you grew up in Chicago area it is pretty much the unspoken truth. Not saying every detail is exact, but people will be shocked to see what David Stern did for his most important Face.

This makes no fvcking sense because of Jordan's popularity. Why would Stern want to even briefly get rid of the most popular player in the NBA?

DJ Leon Smith
03-21-2014, 01:59 PM

Cool so you can back it up with facts and documentation. Can't wait to read what you've got for us.

P.S. You do realize this is the internet era where NOTHING is hidden? If it was going to come out it would have happened by now. But seriously, can't wait to read your links to factual sources to back up your claims.

beastee
03-21-2014, 02:02 PM
Cool so you can back it up with facts and documentation. Can't wait to read what you've got for us.

P.S. You do realize this is the internet era where NOTHING is hidden? If it was going to come out it would have happened by now. But seriously, can't wait to read your links to factual sources to back up your claims.

Do you really think this will come out while MJ still has a huge stake in Nike and owns an NBA team? :biggums: I don't have links, but like I said: 20-30 years from now after Jordan or Stern Dies and we will learn more.

MJ is the greatest Competitor to ever play...you don't just walk away at the height of the EARTH to play baseball. No way, never.

IncarceratedBob
03-21-2014, 02:02 PM
I can't imagine anything worse coming out about MJ than what's already known. He was an alcoholic, drug addicted degenerate gambler who effectively murdered his own father. Yet nobody cares because he put in a ball in a hoop.

SpecialQue
03-21-2014, 02:05 PM
Do you really think this will come out while MJ still has a huge stake in Nike and owns an NBA team? :biggums: I don't have links, but like I said: 20-30 years from now after Jordan or Stern Dies and we will learn more.

MJ is the greatest Competitor to ever play...you don't just walk away at the height of the EARTH to play baseball. No way, never.

If we're going along that line of thinking, then why wouldn't an undeniably arrogant man who already mastered one sport want to see if he could master his second favorite sport?

DJ Leon Smith
03-21-2014, 02:05 PM

Wow excellent facts and legitimate sources you just referenced! There's no way that you're talking nonsense. Thank you for educating me and showing me how my opinion was incorrect. You're a gentleman and a scholar.

guy
03-21-2014, 02:09 PM
The Jordan myth has gotten people thinking he's a god or something. There's a reason why repeating titles is so difficult and three-peating is an elite club. It's very, very difficult for even the best athlete to maintain this kind of high performance over an extended period of time.

Myth? God? Yea, a team winning 8 out of 8 years instead of 6 out of 8 years if their best player hadn't been retired for the majority of those 2 years they lost is a really far-fetched possibility to entertain :rolleyes: .

Its one thing to think they wouldn't. Its another thing to act like it was impossible.

MavsSuperFan
03-21-2014, 02:09 PM
False. Jordan did not like baseball all that much. He was in a major gambling debt with the mob that got his father murdered and the NBA and Jerry Reinsdorf (Owner of Bulls & White Sox) crafted a touching, convenient story. It's a shame, because the Bulls would have had the 8-peat. It was amazing to see the strides he made in Birmingham though. What a great athlete.
If this is true (which I have always believe to be a baseless rumor) why didnt the mob just go after jordan? Jordan also has a shit load of moeny, why not just pay off the mob? How did quitting basketball for 2 years settle the debt?

The mob theory, makes zero sense.

TheMan
03-21-2014, 02:10 PM
Or if MJ and Hakeem teamed up, 8 chips easily.:coleman:

MavsSuperFan
03-21-2014, 02:11 PM
Honestly can't say. If anyone was going to beat a Bulls team in the finals it would have been a team with a truly dominant center and the Rockets would give the Bulls trouble during regular season matchups (I think - could be mistaken but I remember the Rockets and Spurs being two teams the Bulls would generally have trouble with).

P.S. If this is a thread trying to discredit Hakeem to bump up a current era player, hang yourself now.
no its just to speculate if jordan could have 8 peated

I would never try to discredit an MVP and 2 rings in the 90s.

beastee
Wow excellent facts and legitimate sources you just referenced! There's no way that you're talking nonsense. Thank you for educating me and showing me how my opinion was incorrect. You're a gentleman and a scholar.

I never once said I was. All I simply know is that growing up in Chicago you hear the rumors and even the insiders are unwilling to talk about it. I am no crazy conspiracy theorist, but if you follow the path he was on and how it got derailed, plus all his personal demons...it makes perfect sense. It doesn't lessen my thoughts on him as a player...but as a person, man, he was something else.

Vienceslav
If MJ 8peated it would help Bill Russell, people wouldn't dismiss his achievements as something that could only be done in a 8 team league.

beastee
03-21-2014, 02:13 PM
[QUOTE=The mob theory, makes zero sense.[/QUOTE]

Mob always starts with family members for major gambling debts. Also - This is MJ - no way they would ever kill him, he was a cash cow to exploit.

SpecialQue
03-21-2014, 02:14 PM
Myth? God? Yea, a team winning 8 out of 8 years instead of 6 out of 8 years if their best player hadn't been retired for the majority of those 2 years they lost is a really far-fetched possibility to entertain :rolleyes: .

Its one thing to think they wouldn't. Its another thing to act like it was impossible.

Jesus Christ. :facepalm Hero worshiping bullshit at its worst. Yeah, Jordan's so great that he can even overcome his body wearing down.

TheMan
03-21-2014, 02:15 PM

A tiger is a stretch but he is making a lion his bitch:applause:

MavsSuperFan
03-21-2014, 02:16 PM
Mob always starts with family members for major gambling debts. Also - This is MJ - no way they would ever kill him, he was a cash cow to exploit.
Hypothetically, How would quitting basketball for 1.5 years pay off a debt?

guy
03-21-2014, 02:17 PM
Jesus Christ. :facepalm Hero worshiping bullshit at its worst. Yeah, Jordan's so great that he can even overcome his body wearing down.

Ummm, who's saying his body would break down? He's a freak athlete in a sport full of freak athletes. This wouldn't just apply to Jordan either.

lakers_forever
03-21-2014, 02:19 PM
True. I think so. Maybe the Bulls would have lost a title in 96,97 or 98 though. Maybe Jordan retires earlier than in 98.

Malone would have probably won a ring. And everyone would rank him in the top 10 goat list and Olajuwon would not be so overrated like he is today (he is top 15, but there are some biased people who claim he was the greatest center ever or top 5, 8 player ever, insane things like that).

That does not work. A team is build around its superstar. We can't tell which teammates MJ would have as a Rocket in the 90's. But, regardless of that, I really doubt Jordan would not be able to win a couple as rocket. He is the greatest of all time. Olajuwon is not even close of being considered the best ever. It's not like Hakeem is in the same tier as MJ. He was no MJ / Magic / Bird / Kareem / Russell / Wilt (the players I think have a good case for being considerd GOAT). He was no Shaq (have Lakers's three peat O'neal in mind here, please) either.

Milbuck
03-21-2014, 02:22 PM
Ummm, who's saying his body would break down? He's a freak athlete in a sport full of freak athletes. This wouldn't just apply to Jordan either.
Lebron looks consistently exhausted and worn down (for his standards) pretty much every game as of recently..and he's only going for a 3-peat, forget about an 8-peat. And he's even more of a freak athlete.

I don't care how athletic or physically dominant you are, everyone wears down eventually. And maintaining championship level physical and mental intensity for one championship run is difficult enough...but for 8 straight? That's just absurd.

TheMan
03-21-2014, 02:22 PM
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/rivervalleyleader.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/2/28/228483e4-76f5-11e2-abb6-001a4bcf6878/511d63fbafe69.image.jpg
GOAT gon' GOAT

DJ Leon Smith
03-21-2014, 02:29 PM
no its just to speculate if jordan could have 8 peated

I would not try to discredit an MVP and 2 rings in the 90s.

My apologies then. Just used to this board being an endless stream of trolls and agenda threads.

guy
03-21-2014, 02:33 PM
Lebron looks consistently exhausted and worn down (for his standards) pretty much every game as of recently..and he's only going for a 3-peat, forget about an 8-peat. And he's even more of a freak athlete.

I don't care how athletic or physically dominant you are, everyone wears down eventually. And maintaining championship level physical and mental intensity for one championship run is difficult enough...but for 8 straight? That's just absurd.

Everything is absurd until someone does it. No one other then the Bulls has won 6 out of 8 rings since the 60s Celtics either. You think people didn't think winning 6 out of 8 was absurd before the Bulls accomplished it?

As far as Lebron goes, is anyone going to be surprised if the Heat win again this year? I don't think anyone would be surprised if they won this year AND next year. And anyway, Lebron isn't close to 8-peating. The Bulls actually were. In the 2 years they didn't make it and were without Jordan they still made the 2nd round. Having Jordan for the entirety of those 2 seasons is CLEARLY a huge upgrade.

I'm not saying the Bulls would've done it or not. But to act like its a joke to even have the discussion given the circumstances is pretty stupid.

Rose'sACL
03-21-2014, 02:37 PM
Everything is absurd until someone does it. No one other then the Bulls has won 6 out of 8 rings since the 60s Celtics either. You think people didn't think winning 6 out of 8 was absurd before the Bulls accomplished it?

As far as Lebron goes, is anyone going to be surprised if the Heat win again this year? I don't think anyone would be surprised if they won this year AND next year. And anyway, Lebron isn't close to 8-peating. The Bulls actually were. In the 2 years they didn't make it and were without Jordan they still made the 2nd round. Having Jordan for the entirety of those 2 seasons is CLEARLY a huge upgrade.
how were bulls close to 8-peating? to be close, you have to win 6-7 in a row. Even 5 in a row would be close. 3 in a row is not close to 8-peating. Also, it does sound like a joke given that jordan was exhausted after second 3peat. not 5-peat or 6-peat.

guy
03-21-2014, 02:46 PM
how were bulls close to 8-peating? to be close, you have to win 6-7 in a row. Even 5 in a row would be close. 3 in a row is not close to 8-peating. Also, it does sound like a joke given that jordan was exhausted after second 3peat. not 5-peat or 6-peat.

They won 6 out of 8. Maybe close isn't the right word because with Jordan retired, they obviously didn't have much of a chance in 94, and maybe not even that great of a chance in 95 since they weren't even trying to build a championship team going into that season. But given different circumstances i.e. having Jordan from the beginning to the end of the season and him not oddly retiring in the middle of his prime, which was the case for the other 6 years, its obviously possible the same result would've occurred in those years. To say it was possible isn't "hero worship." It would be hero worship to say something like he would've led the 02 Wizards to the title at 39 years old had he not got hurt.

Jordan was exhausted at 35 years old, not just after a second three-peat.

kamil
03-21-2014, 03:06 PM
False. Jordan did not like baseball all that much. He was in a major gambling debt with the mob that got his father murdered and the NBA and Jerry Reinsdorf (Owner of Bulls & White Sox) crafted a touching, convenient story.

I've heard this so many times... and even as an MJ fan, I've sometimes wondered if thats the TRUE story..

Anyone else wanna weigh in?

r0drig0lac
03-21-2014, 03:16 PM
true, no doubt

ArbitraryWater
03-21-2014, 03:25 PM
False. :banana:

I actually GUESSED that I would see fpliii in this thread saying its false.. although I did believe you would make a longer post with some reason behind it :lol

iamgine
03-21-2014, 03:26 PM
That does not work. A team is build around its superstar. We can't tell which teammates MJ would have as a Rocket in the 90's. But, regardless of that, I really doubt Jordan would not be able to win a couple as rocket. He is the greatest of all time. Olajuwon is not even close of being considered the best ever. It's not like Hakeem is in the same tier as MJ. He was no MJ / Magic / Bird / Kareem / Russell / Wilt (the players I think have a good case for being considerd GOAT). He was no Shaq (have Lakers's three peat O'neal in mind here, please) either.
MJ would have 0 rings if his teammates are the quality of Hakeem's teammates.

TheMan
03-21-2014, 03:37 PM
MJ would have 0 rings if his teammates are the quality of Hakeem's teammates.
Most likely Larry Bird too, and Magic Johnson...your point?

That team was built around Hakeem, they were 3 pt shooters, that isn't a team perimeter players could excel with.

DonDadda59
03-21-2014, 03:41 PM
Hard to say. When Jordan retired, the Bulls re-upped with some talent that would be key to their second championship run (Kukoc, Longley, Kerr, and even Wennington). They were much deeper than the first 3-peat squad sans Jordan. But who knows if the FO makes moves to get those guys if Jordan doesn't leave? Also who knows how long Grant stays around, that had a big negative impact on the Bulls in '94-'95 after he left (Bulls were barely a .500 squad before Jordan returned).

But Jordan playing with the talent that joined the squad in the summer of '93 (swapping Grant for Rodman) produced the most wins and third most wins in a season ever and a second 3-peat. What reason is there to believe they wouldn't have won with the deeper lineup WITH Jordan (55 win playoff team without him)? :confusedshrug:

Hakeem was no more dominant than Ewing, Shaq, Malone, Barkley, etc who the Bulls took out several times in the playoffs.

iamgine
03-21-2014, 03:46 PM
Most likely Larry Bird too, and Magic Johnson...your point?

That team was built around Hakeem, they were 3 pt shooters, that isn't a team perimeter players could excel with.
"quality"

guy
03-21-2014, 03:47 PM
"quality"

Well that's a far-fetched thing to say then.

TheMan
03-21-2014, 03:57 PM
"quality"
ok lol, point still stands.He had some decent players around him like Clyde Drexler, Kenny Smith, Vern Maxwell, Sam Cassell, Robert Horry, Otis Thorpe...again, that team was tailored to Hakeem's strenghts. It's not like they were pure garbage, but yeah, probably Hakeem did more with less than any player in the modern era. Of course, the best player in basketball was whiffing on curveballs while Hakeem got his 2 rings...

iamgine
03-21-2014, 04:03 PM
ok lol, point still stands.He had some decent players around him like Clyde Drexler, Kenny Smith, Vern Maxwell, Sam Cassell, Robert Horry, Otis Thorpe...again, that team was tailored to Hakeem's strenghts. It's not like they were pure garbage, but yeah, probably Hakeem did more with less than any player in the modern era. Of course, the best player in basketball was whiffing on curveballs while Hakeem got his 2 rings...
Decent players won't cut it when the other team had trio of Hakeem-Pippen-Grant with Phil Jackson as coach.

fpliii
03-21-2014, 04:09 PM
I actually GUESSED that I would see fpliii in this thread saying its false.. although I did believe you would make a longer post with some reason behind it :lol
Regardless of how someone feels about 94, this is false because they had nobody to stop Shaq and Hakeem in 95.

It seems that I take the anti-MJ position a lot, but I'm a huge fan of his. :pimp: It's just that some of these hypothetical threads are designed in a way that said positions are reasonable.

guy
03-21-2014, 04:22 PM
Regardless of how someone feels about 94, this is false because they had nobody to stop Shaq and Hakeem in 95.

It seems that I take the anti-MJ position a lot, but I'm a huge fan of his. :pimp: It's just that some of these hypothetical threads are designed in a way that said positions are reasonable.

This is true, but one thing people don't take into account is had Jordan never retired in the first place, the front office is probably making moves to make sure they are still contending strongly. Going into the 94 season, they were doing that because Jordan didn't retire until late in the offseason. Going into the 95 season, they basically gave up on contending and were about to rebuild. They nearly traded Scottie Pippen like 10x to the Sonics for Shawn Kemp and didn't really even try to keep Grant nor get a replacement. Its not really realistic to assume that none of that stuff changes had Jordan never retired in the first place.

DonDadda59
03-21-2014, 04:32 PM
This is true, but one thing people don't take into account is had Jordan never retired in the first place, the front office is probably making moves to make sure they are still contending strongly. Going into the 94 season, they were doing that because Jordan didn't retire until late in the offseason. Going into the 95 season, they basically gave up on contending and were about to rebuild. They nearly traded Scottie Pippen like 10x to the Sonics for Shawn Kemp and didn't really even try to keep Grant nor get a replacement. Its not really realistic to assume that none of that stuff changes had Jordan never retired in the first place.

Yes, this. People always talk about the '94 Bulls winning 55 games like they were the same squad (not counting Jordan) as the '93 team. They added Kukoc via the draft, and made moves to get Kerr, Longley, and other pieces. When Jordan came back they picked up Rodman to fill up Grant's spot.

The team only won 72 games (most all time), and then the next season 69 (third most all time) after Jordan came back for more than a relative handful of games. If Jordan doesn't retire, they at the very least have the same team they had in '93 plus Kukoc and Kerr coming off the bench. That team is a good measure better than the Knicks who pushed the Rockets to 7.

Rocketswin2013
03-21-2014, 04:33 PM
:facepalm

Come on, be realistic. It's no way they were winning 8 straight titles(800+ games) over that span.

pegasus
03-21-2014, 04:52 PM
Most likely, but I don't think we could have 8-peated. If anyone and any team could do it, it'd be Jordan and the Bulls though.

K Xerxes
03-21-2014, 04:53 PM
Perhaps, but I don't believe this should discredit Hakeem, especially considering the strength of his supporting cast too. If it does, it would only make sense to discredit every other ring that was pre-85 and post-98 as they didn't feature Bulls Jordan either.

Had MJ not retired, I don't think an 8 peat is likely at all. It's physically and mentally draining to get to 3 or 4, let alone 8 in a row. I remember Steve Kerr saying that there wasn't a chance the team would have 8 peated.

eliteballer
03-21-2014, 05:06 PM
Dream those two years was as dominant as Jordan ever was....real talk. The Magic beat Chicago in six with Jordan putting up better playoff numbers than any of the 2nd threepeat runs and got SWEPT by Houston.

97 bulls
03-21-2014, 05:17 PM
Perhaps, but I don't believe this should discredit Hakeem, especially considering the strength of his supporting cast too. If it does, it would only make sense to discredit every other ring that was pre-85 and post-98 as they didn't feature Bulls Jordan either.

Had MJ not retired, I don't think an 8 peat is likely at all. It's physically and mentally draining to get to 3 or 4, let alone 8 in a row. I remember Steve Kerr saying that there wasn't a chance the team would have 8 peated.
Before I start, id like to make sure that everyone understands that what I'm about to say posess a multitude of "ifs".

The Bulls ability to win eight straight would depend greatly on whether or not they were able to keep the exact same core together. If so then no, I dont see them doing it. But they didn't keep the same core. The only people that played on both threepeats were Jordan and Pippen. A bigger concern would be as to what happens at the PF spot. Does Grant stay another year? If that happens then they easily win five. That team half assed their way to almost 60 wins and a championship in 93. And took the Knicks to seven games before losing in the ECF. Then the Knicks would eventually lose in seven to the champs.

The only question is 1995. If Jordan doesnt retire and Grant stays, Kukoc matures, then they would've creamed Houston twice just like they did Utah.

If Grant leaves in 96 and they replace him with Rodman, I dont why they dont win another.four straight. They were just that friggn good.

Rocketswin2013
03-21-2014, 05:19 PM
Most likely, but I don't think we could have 8-peated. If anyone and any team could do it, it'd be Jordan and the Bulls though.
Why say most likely, but then say Hakeem would be ringless? The only thing stopping Hakeem from crushing the league is a Jordan Bulls 8-peat.

Rocketswin2013
03-21-2014, 05:22 PM
Lol several people are saying that Hakeem would be ringless, but saying The Bulls wouldn't have 8-peated'. :lol :facepalm

guy
03-21-2014, 05:25 PM
:facepalm

Come on, be realistic. It's no way they were winning 8 straight titles(800+ games) over that span.

How realistic was 6 out of 8 and two three-peats before they happened? They played 792 games as it was during that timeframe. They ended up playing 28 playoff series as it was so they would've had to play 4 more and win 6 more to have done this. At one point between 28 and 32 series appearances and 26 and 32 series wins does it become unrealistic?

Smoke117
03-21-2014, 05:28 PM
Before I start, id like to make sure that everyone understands that what I'm about to say posess a multitude of "ifs".

The Bulls ability to win eight straight would depend greatly on whether or not they were able to keep the exact same core together. If so then no, I dont see them doing it. But they didn't keep the same core. The only people that played on both threepeats were Jordan and Pippen. A bigger concern would be as to what happens at the PF spot. Does Grant stay another year? If that happens then they easily win five. That team half assed their way to almost 60 wins and a championship in 93. And took the Knicks to seven games before losing in the ECF. Then the Knicks would eventually lose in seven to the champs.

The only question is 1995. If Jordan doesnt retire and Grant stays, Kukoc matures, then they would've creamed Houston twice just like they did Utah.

If Grant leaves in 96 and they replace him with Rodman, I dont why they dont win another.four straight. They were just that friggn good.

I don't think Grant would have stayed and mostly because of Pippen. Scottie was already becoming ever more disgruntled about his contract situation and Bulls not reworking it and it would put the cherry on the top if the Bulls then paid Grant who is a much lesser player than Pippen is a lot more money. For Grant to have stayed they would have had to acquiesce to reworking Pippens contract or he would probably have demanded a trade.

Black Mamba's B
03-21-2014, 05:28 PM
False. No way they 8peat. Jordan's greatness is overrated although he is one of the best to ever do it. Houston is a bad match up for da bulls, all the playoff games eventually take a toll no team is winning 8 straight.

rezznor
03-21-2014, 05:29 PM

check the rockets record vs the bulls in the 2 years before jordan left and the 2 years after he came back. the rockets did pretty against them. i think they had winning records or tied every year.

atljonesbro
03-21-2014, 05:30 PM
Nike did a hell of a job brainwashing the NBA fanbase to thinking MJ is some untouchable deity.

Rocketswin2013
03-21-2014, 05:32 PM
How realistic was 6 out of 8 and two three-peats before they happened? They played 792 games as it was during that timeframe. They ended up playing 28 playoff series as it was so they would've had to play 4 more and win 6 more to have done this. At one point between 28 and 32 series appearances and 26 and 32 series wins does it become unrealistic?
........Jordan would have been broken by 1996, and Pippen would have had the same regression. I can't believe I'm really arguing this topic and I'm about to stop..........

Black Mamba's B
03-21-2014, 05:37 PM
Nike did a hell of a job brainwashing the NBA fanbase to thinking MJ is some untouchable deity.
They do the same with LeBron

Smoke117
03-21-2014, 05:37 PM
As far as the 94 season goes you can't really say as there is no possible way to know. I THINK they personally would have won it all in 94 because Jordan was Jordan, Pippen was peaking and easily the 2nd best perimeter player in the league (and they were both the two best defensive players at their position with Pippen being truly dominant in 94), Grant was peaking, and BJ was peaking. Nobody can really say for sure but on paper the Bulls destroy the Rockets. The Bulls probably would have coasted again through the season, but Hakeem and that 94 line up I don't think could make it through the Bulls. If were talking about 94 Bulls with Jordan vs 95 Rockets with Clyde...than I think things get more intriguing.

guy
03-21-2014, 05:46 PM
........Jordan would have been broken by 1996, and Pippen would have had the same regression. I can't believe I'm really arguing this topic and I'm about to stop..........

By Jordan's 12th and Pippen's 9th season?

97 bulls
03-21-2014, 06:20 PM
I don't think Grant would have stayed and mostly because of Pippen. Scottie was already becoming ever more disgruntled about his contract situation and Bulls not reworking it and it would put the cherry on the top if the Bulls then paid Grant who is a much lesser player than Pippen is a lot more money. For Grant to have stayed they would have had to acquiesce to reworking Pippens contract or he would probably have demanded a trade.
True. And this was the Bulls biggest nemesis. Their own management. If they had a FO and ownership like the Lakers, theyd easily win 9. Again assuming Grants gonna stay and then be replaced with Rodman in 96.

MavsSuperFan
03-21-2014, 06:28 PM
6 out of 8 championships, with a 1 and a half year retirement in between the two 3peats, is an easy case to argue.

DonDadda59
03-21-2014, 06:38 PM

Pippen had major back surgery before the 97-98 season, kept him out of the lineup for nearly half the year... Older Bulls squad still won the championship.

But they would be 'broken' while being 4 years younger? Every team deals wit fatigue, injury, etc and something as potentially catastrophic as their #2 guy sitting out half the season didn't stop them from getting 62 wins and a ring.

The Bulls w/ Jordan wipe their ass with the Rockets and keep winning after that (as they did in reality). Probably win in '99 too if not for their beef with management. Lockout season would've done wonders for an aged veteran team during the regular season.

Rose'sACL
03-21-2014, 06:40 PM
they can't do it to that extent. media is much bigger, social media was not present at all during jordan's time and no camera phones to catch jordan doing idiotic things that we all know Jordan did. Just imagine if lebron slapped chalmers in practice if chalmers owns him like kerr owned jordan leading to Jordan acting like an idiot and slapping him.

fpliii
03-21-2014, 06:41 PM
Right, and it's not realistic to assume they get someone to check Shaq either. :cheers:

Anyhow, it's possible they'd try to keep Grant, but he was set on leaving for Orlando it seems, throughout the year:

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/07/30/sports/pro-basketball-grant-leaves-the-bulls-to-help-solidify-magic.html

Grant is a very underrated help defender, pretty athletic for a big, and could hit the long 2 with some regularity. Good rebounder too. I don't think he's irreplaceable, but it would've been tough to find someone to do his job.

I will say this though...Kemp always played well against the Rockets, so it's possible they'd be better off with him than Pippen (even though I think Scottie was generally the better player).

coolhandsteve
03-21-2014, 06:42 PM
Would the rockets still have won those 2 titles if Jordan had not been distracted by baseball?

Personally I am of the opinion that Jordan would have won 8 straight championships if had not decided to play baseball. And that Jordan's first retirement benefited Hakeem's legacy greatly.

I'm of the thought that, considering how well the Bulls did without Mike in '94 that with him, they likely win that title. But then do they make a stronger push to keep Horace Grant in that offseason? I don't think so. But then again I just believe Chicago would've burnt out in '95, with or without Horace.

And then I guess the follow up questions to that would be: A) Do the Bulls then still win 72 games in '96, 69 in '97, and then 62 in '98?

B) Does Jordan still retire after the '98 season or sooner?

fpliii
Pippen had major back surgery before the 97-98 season, kept him out of the lineup for nearly half the year... Older Bulls squad still won the championship.

But they would be 'broken' while being 4 years younger? Every team deals wit fatigue, injury, etc and something as potentially catastrophic as their #2 guy sitting out half the season didn't stop them from getting 62 wins and a ring.

The Bulls w/ Jordan wipe their ass with the Rockets and keep winning after that (as they did in reality). Probably win in '99 too if not for their beef with management. Lockout season would've done wonders for an aged veteran team during the regular season.
Who do you think they get for the 95 playoffs for the series against Shaq/Hakeem? I think the 94 Bulls could give the Rockets a tough series if they still had Grant, but Hakeem would get his (so would MJ).

JT123

:facepalm Have you ever made any post that isn't about slurping Jordan's knob? No way in hell the Bulls would win in 99, they barely won in 98 with a lot of questionable officiating in that 6th game.

Black Mamba's B
03-21-2014, 06:46 PM
they can't do it to that extent. media is much bigger, social media was not present at all during jordan's time and no camera phones to catch jordan doing idiotic things that we all know Jordan did. Just imagine if lebron slapped chalmers in practice if chalmers owns him like kerr owned jordan leading to Jordan acting like an idiot and slapping him.
It would be funny to catch that on camera

Rose'sACL
03-21-2014, 06:52 PM
It would be funny to catch that on camera
even if they don't catch it on camera, today's media and social media would make it too big to make any parents wanting to have his child "be like mike". His gambling habits would be on pictures given how many people own a camera phone now.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
03-21-2014, 06:55 PM
Doubt it. Houston was a team of destiny in 95. Unless MJ is....MJ of 92 and 93, nothing changes.

DonDadda59
03-21-2014, 06:56 PM
:facepalm Have you ever made any post that isn't about slurping Jordan's knob? No way in hell the Bulls would win in 99, they barely won in 98 with a lot of questionable officiating in that 6th game.

Who the f*ck are you? :lol

Good to know you're keeping track on what I post about though. That's a good look.

And everyone reading this... raise your hand if you think the Bulls don't dominate in an Eastern Conference playoffs won by the Ewing-less Knicks. Yeah, that's what I thought. With a healthy Pippen, still productive Rodman, Kukoc, etc they get the top seed and get to the finals easier than any other season during their championship runs. Having 32 games knocked off the schedule helps them tremendously (Pippen played all 50 games w/ Houston in '99, after only playing 44 during the 98 season). The only question is would they be able to beat the Spurs.

The Knicks were able to get a game against them and SA won the final 2 games by a combined 8 points (1 point in the clinching Game 5). I think the Bulls would be able to do a little better at least :lol

diamenz
03-21-2014, 06:57 PM
who knows. would rodman have ever come to the bulls? would the first 3 peat bull's lineup had stayed the same until 98? they possibly could have 8-peated - that team and organization was a beast. cartwright and/or perdue would have eventually had to go tho.

Rose'sACL
03-21-2014, 06:59 PM
Who the f*ck are you? :lol

Good to know you're keeping track on what I post about though. That's a good look.

And everyone reading this... raise your hand if you think the Bulls don't dominate in an Eastern Conference playoffs won by the Ewing-less Knicks. Yeah, that's what I thought. With a healthy Pippen, still productive Rodman, Kukoc, etc they get the top seed and get to the finals easier than any other season during their championship runs. Having 32 games knocked off the schedule helps them tremendously (Pippen played all 50 games w/ Houston in '99, after only playing 44 during the 98 season). The only question is would they be able to beat the Spurs.

The Knicks were able to get a game against them and SA won the final 2 games by a combined 8 points (1 point in the clinching Game 5). I think the Bulls would be able to do a little better at least :lol
He posted that they would not have won and i am pretty sure that in 99, spurs would have beaten the bulls.

oarabbus
03-21-2014, 07:06 PM
Hakeem wins his rings no matter what Jordan does. Jordan was lucky he joined baseball, so he could still have his "6 for 6" accomplishment (which is very impressive).

Had he not gone to baseball, he'd be mr. 75% 6 of 8 championships.

TheMan
03-21-2014, 07:06 PM
Except MJ always delivered, LeBron...not so much:lol

TheMan
03-21-2014, 07:18 PM
True. And this was the Bulls biggest nemesis. Their own management. If they had a FO and ownership like the Lakers, theyd easily win 9. Again assuming Grants gonna stay and then be replaced with Rodman in 96.
True, the only thing Buss and Reinsdorf had in common is their first name. Our Jerry is a cheap bastard while Dr Buss was always willing to put money on the table to have a chip contender.

MJ on the Lakers probably ends up with 7-8 titles.

guy
03-21-2014, 07:29 PM
Right, and it's not realistic to assume they get someone to check Shaq either. :cheers:

Anyhow, it's possible they'd try to keep Grant, but he was set on leaving for Orlando it seems, throughout the year:

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/07/30/sports/pro-basketball-grant-leaves-the-bulls-to-help-solidify-magic.html

Grant is a very underrated help defender, pretty athletic for a big, and could hit the long 2 with some regularity. Good rebounder too. I don't think he's irreplaceable, but it would've been tough to find someone to do his job.

I will say this though...Kemp always played well against the Rockets, so it's possible they'd be better off with him than Pippen (even though I think Scottie was generally the better player).

Well no one ever "checked" Shaq. It is realistic to assume they wouldn't go into the season with Toni Kukoc as there starting PF with no other capable PF coming off the bench.

mr.big35
03-21-2014, 07:34 PM
jordan would win in 94 but not in 95 he would be worn out. i dont get people make deity

LAZERUSS
03-21-2014, 09:45 PM
In '94 the Bulls, without MJ, went 55-27, which was down from their 57-25 record the year before. And they accomplished that record by basically replacing MJ with Toni Kukoc and Pete Myers. They took the 56-26 Knicks to a grueliing game seven game series. The same Knicks team that lost a close game seven to the 58-24 Rockets in the Finals. In fact, the Knicks not only outscored Houston in that series, they were leading the series, 3-2, they lost game six by two points (and then game seven by six.)

Even the biggest MJ detractors would have to believe that Jordan, playing for that Bulls team, would have made enough of a difference to beat both the Knicks and the Rockets. He would have had to only improve the Bulls by a handful of points in those series to win them.

'95 is a completely different story. The Bulls, without Grant, just did not have a strong front court. And I certainly don't buy the fact that MJ was somehow rusty in the post-season. He played 17 games, and Chicago went 13-4 in those games. Granted, his shooting was off, but it was not as if he were coming off of an injury. If anything, he should have been "fresher" than everyone else in the playoffs.

BTW, Shaq did not have a particularly great series against the Bulls in that '95 playoff series. 24-13-4 on a .484 FG% was below average. My gawd, he was unstoppable against Hakeem in the '95 Finals (29-13-6 .595.) But it was GRANT who was the player that Chicago had no answer for. An 18-11-2 .647 series!

Regarding Hakeem's play in that '95 run...he didn't face a legitimate starting center in the first three rounds. And in the Finals, his teammates not only shelled Shaq's, they dramatically outshot Hakeem, himself. Olajuwon shot below the post-season league eFG% average in that series, while his teammates shot well above it.

Best case scenario for Hakeem in the '95 Finals, a questionable draw against a 22 year Shaq (who outrebounded, outassisted, and outblocked Hakeem in that series, while crushing Olajuwon in both eFG% and TS%.) And I can only shake my head at those that somehow rank Hakeem over Shaq in any all-time ranking. A peak Hakeem, at best, equalled a young Shaq who would become much more dominant in a few years (albeit, less athletic.) And the Hakeem supporters will never mention their '99 playoff H2H, when Shaq just wiped the floor with Hakeem in every aspect of the game. Nor will they acknowledge the fact that over the course of their career H2H's, Shaq just owned Hakeem. Again, in EVERY aspect of the game.

Having said all that, no, MJ does not win a ring in '95, and Hakeem, with his teammates dominating their peers, deservedly won the title. But again, he had a TON of help in '95. Which just blows this myth that he didn't have quality supporting casts into the water. His teammates in '95 dramatically outplayed Shaq's in the Finals, and over the course of the entire playoffs, played at a high level.

CelticBaller
03-21-2014, 09:48 PM
true, but it didn't happen and hakeem did get his rings so :confusedshrug:

Harison
03-22-2014, 02:30 PM
Hakeem still takes one ring, it would be very tough to get 2nd though.

MavsSuperFan
03-22-2014, 02:46 PM
In '94 the Bulls, without MJ, went 55-27, which was down from their 57-25 record the year before. And they accomplished that record by basically replacing MJ with Toni Kukoc and Pete Myers. They took the 56-26 Knicks to a grueliing game seven game series. The same Knicks team that lost a close game seven to the 58-24 Rockets in the Finals. In fact, the Knicks not only outscored Houston in that series, they were leading the series, 3-2, they lost game six by two points (and then game seven by six.)

Even the biggest MJ detractors would have to believe that Jordan, playing for that Bulls team, would have made enough of a difference to beat both the Knicks and the Rockets. He would have had to only improve the Bulls by a handful of points in those series to win them.

'95 is a completely different story. The Bulls, without Grant, just did not have a strong front court. And I certainly don't buy the fact that MJ was somehow rusty in the post-season. He played 17 games, and Chicago went 13-4 in those games. Granted, his shooting was off, but it was not as if he were coming off of an injury. If anything, he should have been "fresher" than everyone else in the playoffs.

BTW, Shaq did not have a particularly great series against the Bulls in that '95 playoff series. 24-13-4 on a .484 FG% was below average. My gawd, he was unstoppable against Hakeem in the '95 Finals (29-13-6 .595.) But it was GRANT who was the player that Chicago had no answer for. An 18-11-2 .647 series!

Regarding Hakeem's play in that '95 run...he didn't face a legitimate starting center in the first three rounds. And in the Finals, his teammates not only shelled Shaq's, they dramatically outshot Hakeem, himself. Olajuwon shot below the post-season league eFG% average in that series, while his teammates shot well above it.

Best case scenario for Hakeem in the '95 Finals, a questionable draw against a 22 year Shaq (who outrebounded, outassisted, and outblocked Hakeem in that series, while crushing Olajuwon in both eFG% and TS%.) And I can only shake my head at those that somehow rank Hakeem over Shaq in any all-time ranking. A peak Hakeem, at best, equalled a young Shaq who would become much more dominant in a few years (albeit, less athletic.) And the Hakeem supporters will never mention their '99 playoff H2H, when Shaq just wiped the floor with Hakeem in every aspect of the game. Nor will they acknowledge the fact that over the course of their career H2H's, Shaq just owned Hakeem. Again, in EVERY aspect of the game.

Having said all that, no, MJ does not win a ring in '95, and Hakeem, with his teammates dominating their peers, deservedly won the title. But again, he had a TON of help in '95. Which just blows this myth that he didn't have quality supporting casts into the water. His teammates in '95 dramatically outplayed Shaq's in the Finals, and over the course of the entire playoffs, played at a high level.

How do you explain the 3 peat from 96-98?

nycelt84
03-22-2014, 02:55 PM
Hard to say. When Jordan retired, the Bulls re-upped with some talent that would be key to their second championship run (Kukoc, Longley, Kerr, and even Wennington). They were much deeper than the first 3-peat squad sans Jordan. But who knows if the FO makes moves to get those guys if Jordan doesn't leave? Also who knows how long Grant stays around, that had a big negative impact on the Bulls in '94-'95 after he left (Bulls were barely a .500 squad before Jordan returned).

But Jordan playing with the talent that joined the squad in the summer of '93 (swapping Grant for Rodman) produced the most wins and third most wins in a season ever and a second 3-peat. What reason is there to believe they wouldn't have won with the deeper lineup WITH Jordan (55 win playoff team without him)? :confusedshrug:

Hakeem was no more dominant than Ewing, Shaq, Malone, Barkley, etc who the Bulls took out several times in the playoffs.

Jordan retired right before training camp opened. With the exception of Longley they all were expecting to play with Jordan.

SamuraiSWISH
03-22-2014, 03:11 PM

I maintain they win in '94.

It's a deeper, more experienced, more talented team than the one that had just three peated. They are better, point blank. Sure fatigue plays into things, but that is Pippen's peak season. Horace's peak season. Same with BJ Armstrong. Throw in a young Kukoc off the bench.

Competed, and pushed the Knicks to seven games who were a Starks meltdown away from a possible championship. We gon act like the GOAT isn't going to push them over the top of any challenger, while still in his prime?

Child please.

'95 is more difficult without Grant. I think they would have fared better with a Jordan being there in shape, and not rusty from just 17 RS games. But I still think they'd most likely lose in '95.

Causing management to once again fill the PF spot with Rodman, Jordan gets remotivated due to his first loss in 4 seasons short of a championship. And the Bulls win the next 3 just as they did from '96 - '98.

7 championships in 8 seasons isn't out of the realm of plausibility. Don't know why others assert otherwise.

Or as if Jordan's retirement the last two years of his physical prime to play baseball afforded him some super recovery to his body. Like blood doping, HGH, or steroids.

He was playing professional sports. Was out of tune with his basketball shape, that actually is more of a detriment to his ability to come back and dominate at the level he, and we were accustomed to seeing than it was being helpful.

He had to put major work in the gym in the summer of '95 to get back to his typical standards. He showed flashes in the '95 playoffs, but would burn out quick. Or was visibly rusty, or out of timing.

When Drexler joined Hakeem in '95, he finally got that legit sidekick help. That's a difficult year for the Bulls if they still get out the Eastern Conference.

7 for 8 is probable though.

fpliii
03-22-2014, 03:11 PM
I maintain they win in '94.

It's a deeper, more experienced, more talented team than the one that had just three peated. They are better, point blank. Sure fatigue plays into things, but that is Pippen's peak season. Horace's peak season. Same with BJ Armstrong. Throw in a young Kukoc off the bench.

Competed, and pushed the Knicks to seven games who were a Starks meltdown away from a possible championship. We gon act like the GOAT isn't going to push them over the top of any challenger, while still in his prime?

Child please.

'95 is more difficult without Grant. I think they would have fared better with a Jordan being there in shape, and not rusty from just 17 RS games. But I still think they'd most likely lose in '95.

Causing management to once again fill the PF spot with Rodman, Jordan gets remotivated due to his first loss in 4 seasons short of a championship. And the Bulls win the next 3 just as they did from '96 - '98.

7 championships in 8 seasons isn't out of the real of plausibility. Don't know why others assert otherwise.

Or as if Jordan's retirement the last two years of his physical prime to play baseball afforded him some super recovery to his body. Like blood doping, HGH, or steroids.

He was playing professional sports. Was out of tune with his basketball shape, that actually is more of a detriment to his ability to come back and dominate at the level he, and we were accustomed to seeing than it was being helpful.

He had to put major work in the gym in the summer of '95 to get back to his typical standards. He showed flashes in the '95 playoffs, but would burn out quick. Or was visibly rusty, or out of timing.

When Drexler joined Hakeem in '95, he finally got that legit sidekick help. That's a difficult year for the Bulls if they still get out the Eastern Conference.

7 for 8 us probable though.
Do you think they still win in 98? MJ was pretty exhausted by the end of the year as it was, because he had to carry that team offensively with Scottie out. The additional mileage could make it tougher.

eliteballer
03-22-2014, 03:12 PM
7 for 8 us probable though.

Ridiculous statement:oldlol: If MJ plays in 94/95, he has that much more mileage on his legs going into 96/97/98, if he even plays until 98.

Bob Dole
03-22-2014, 03:13 PM

This, No 8 pt but I think they get either 94 or 95. May lose a later one though

SamuraiSWISH
03-22-2014, 03:22 PM
Do you think they still win in 98? MJ was pretty exhausted by the end of the year as it was, because he had to carry that team offensively with Scottie out. The additional mileage could make it tougher.
He'd be fine.

:biggums:

He wasn't sitting around eating bon bons in '94, and '95 on the couch.

fpliii
03-22-2014, 03:26 PM
He'd be fine.

:biggums:

He wasn't sitting around eating bon bons in '94, and '95 on the couch.
True but the conditioning required for basketball is much more intense than it is for baseball (especially at the level MJ was playing at). Homie had to play himself back into peak form, even though he was in baseball shape.

Dude was exhausted in 98. If Scottie doesn't miss half the season though maybe it's not an issue.

SamuraiSWISH
03-22-2014, 03:29 PM
True but the conditioning required for basketball is much more intense than it is for baseball (especially at the level MJ was playing at). Homie had to play himself back into peak form, even though he was in baseball shape.

Dude was exhausted in 98. If Scottie doesn't miss half the season though maybe it's not an issue.
Pippen's durability is a bigger question than MJ.

Why do people act like MJ wasn't one of the most durable, best conditioned athletes of all-time? Like he's just going to peter out hardcore if he played in '94 and '95.

:oldlol:

It's asinine. Between the ages of 32 when he came back in '95 he didn't miss a single game for 3 seasons. Think about that dude ... LeBron hasn't even done that, and that nigguh was made by science in a lab somewhere. And he's in the prime of his existence.

fpliii
03-22-2014, 03:33 PM
Pippen's durability is a bigger question than MJ.

Why do people act like MJ wasn't one of the most durable, best conditioned athletes of all-time? Like he's just going to peter out hardcore if he played in '94 and '95.

:oldlol:

It's asinine. Between the ages of 32 when he came back in '95 he didn't miss a single game for 3 seasons. Think about that dude ... LeBron hasn't even done that, and that nigguh was made by science in a lab somewhere. And he's in the prime of his existence.
Not saying it'll be a complete breakdown due to injury, just think that the fatigue wouldn't necessarily allow him to play at the same level. Dude was exhausted:

http://theshot.org/air-jordan-14/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/michael-jordan-1998-nba-finals_photo_medium.jpg

I could be wrong though, but if he never retires, I'm going with rings in

91, 92, 93, 94, 96, 97

:confusedshrug:

ImKobe
03-22-2014, 03:45 PM
I'd say 7 straight.

Dragonyeuw
03-22-2014, 04:05 PM
That bulls 94 team could have been really great had MJ stayed. A still in prime Jordan, Scottie, Grant and B.J coming into their primes, Kukoc off the bench, I think they easily win 94. Not sure about 95, I think their weak front-court would have done them in even had MJ not retired. We also cant discount the possibility of burnout by 95 either.

Rocketswin2013
03-22-2014, 06:58 PM

So you're saying, fully assembled, the Bulls would 9-peat.
HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Soundwave
03-22-2014, 07:13 PM
It's possible.

Honestly I think if MJ didn't have baseball to fall back on, he could've taken off 5-6 months from basketball and returned for the 93-94 stretch run and the Bulls win again in 94. That would've hopefully solved some of the "burn out" issue, though I think that had more to do with his father's death and having the burden of being the most famous person on the planet 24/7 (well maybe the exception of Princess Diana and Michael Jackson).

The 94 Bulls with Jordan honestly might've been the best iteration of the Bulls -- Jordan, Pippen, Grant, Armstrong, and Kukoc. Houston would be in trouble.

Rocketswin2013
03-22-2014, 07:18 PM
It's possible.

Honestly I think if MJ didn't have baseball to fall back on, he could've taken off 5-6 months from basketball and returned for the 93-94 stretch run and the Bulls win again in 94. That would've hopefully solved some of the "burn out" issue, though I think that had more to do with his father's death and having the burden of being the most famous person on the planet 24/7 (well maybe the exception of Princess Diana and Michael Jackson).

The 94 Bulls with Jordan honestly might've been the best iteration of the Bulls -- Jordan, Pippen, Grant, Armstrong, and Kukoc. Houston would be in trouble.
You do know he literally attempted this in 95' and was rusty causing them to get smacked by Shaq' s testicles right?

Soundwave
03-22-2014, 07:22 PM
You do know he literally attempted this in 95' and was rusty causing them to get smacked by Shaq' s testicles right?

That was an extra year away from basketball, big difference from only being 6-7 months removed from the game, also playing baseball he literally never touched a basketball for like 18 months.

Honestly who knows if they had replaced Grant adequetely even in 95 and MJ came back after the All-Star game rather than the final 15 games, they may have been able to win it again even under those circumstances.

That Orlando series honestly could have tipped the other way very easily.

The funny thing is the baseball strike set into motion a huge chain reaction -- Jordan returns, Shaq flees Orlando, LA drafts Kobe (contingent on having to clear cap room to sign Shaq) ... that would set up the NBA for the next 15 years.

If baseball doesn't go on strike and MJ doesn't come back that year, I think Shaq would've stayed in Orlando, LA would've kept Divac, Charlotte would've drafted Kobe Bryant, etc.