PDA

View Full Version : Which death shocked you the most?

loot
03-08-2007, 04:42 PM
These were all active players or had just retired when they died.

And how do you remember these players:

Hank Gathers
Reggie Lewis
Bobby Phills
Bison Dele/Brian Williams
Malik Sealy
Drazen Petrovic
Len Bias

SRZ66
03-08-2007, 04:45 PM
when/how did brian williams die? i dont remember hearing about it...

poorlilrich
03-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Waddup Cuz
Waddup Pa
Waddup Bra

MetsPackers
03-08-2007, 04:47 PM
Len Bias was shocking because of all the hype he was getting. We were excited about how he was supposed to be great, but then he died:wtf:

loot
03-08-2007, 04:49 PM
bison dele/brian williams has probably been killed by his own brother: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bison_Dele

MetsPackers
03-08-2007, 04:51 PM
bison dele/brian williams has probably been killed by his own brother: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bison_Dele
WTF is with the name changes?

Rasheed1
03-08-2007, 04:52 PM
NFL - Reggie White - Reggie was one of the very few athletes that I personally admired.

I cant think of any other athlete that I liked enough to feel upset when they died

DreamRockets
03-08-2007, 04:53 PM
reggie lewis, he just died on the court :eek:

allball
03-08-2007, 04:53 PM
These were all active players or had just retired when they died.

And how do you remember these players:

Hank Gathers
Reggie Lewis
Bobby Phills
Malik Sealy
Drazen Petrovic

In this order:

Len Bias
Hank Gathers
Reggie Lewis
Drazen Petrovic
Bobby Phills
Malik Sealy

Huge bias fan. watched the draft. was sooooo excited about him playinh Boston.

Gathers was huge shock. man was monstrous on the court and epitomy of a young stud.

Saw Reggie collapse on the court and though of Gathers. he died I think a few months later

Saw Petro story on the news and was frozen. we used to shoot 3s and holler "Petrovic". was starting to become a big fan of his.

Phills really caught me off guard. and the way it happened was senseless.

Malik's death made me so damn angry. f#cking drunk driver.

Bison's was different in that he was reported possibly dead before they confirmed. I remember him as a freshman at Maryland in a game against Kentucky. beast. also saw him in McDonald's game beasting.

det2orl
03-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Gathers because there was actual footage of him just passing out on the court.

loot
03-08-2007, 05:00 PM
What about Mookie Blaylock?
:confusedshrug:

T-Low
03-08-2007, 05:02 PM
Wrong name...I remember a guy who died in 2000....hold on, i am tryin to remember...

saKf
03-08-2007, 05:03 PM
I loved Malik Sealy.

He was kind of like Trenton Hassell. Wing player with range just inside the three-point line, solid defense, plays within the team concept.

He was a very likeable player.

http://www.geocities.com/lightgrrl/Sealy_playerfileaction.jpg

T-Low
03-08-2007, 05:04 PM
Theres Malik Sealy..but thats not who i am tryin to remember...ergh..

kumquat
03-08-2007, 05:05 PM
when/how did brian williams die? i dont remember hearing about it...

I remember the most for the sheer story that was behind it. A very good read if you've got a few minutes.

http://denver.rockymountainnews.com/dele/index.shtml

These were brothers who loved each other, brothers who were struggling to patch things up in the torpid waters of the South Seas.
In the final weeks of their lives as they sailed through paradise, Dabord and Dele bumped up against each other in the confines of a crowded boat. They engaged in petty arguments, squabbling about video games, sports figures and motorcycles.
Dabord was a man at once jealous and proud of his brother's stardom in the NBA, a man frustrated by his own life. Those who knew him say he never found solace, even as he crossed an ocean and half a world to end his estrangement with Dele.

Dele was a man who basked in the spoils of the NBA while in his 20s, then turned his back on the game that made him famous in order to indulge his nomadic impulses. Some say he controlled his family with money and turned his back on his only brother.
Dabord, born Kevin Williams in 1966, died Sept. 27 in a California hospital two weeks after he overdosed on insulin in Tijuana, Mexico, 24 days before his 36th birthday. He is accused of killing Dele, born Brian Williams in 1969, aboard the Hakuna Matata.
Serena Karlan, Dele's 30-year-old old girlfriend, and Bertrand Saldo, the ship's captain, were victims of circumstance.
Any and all concrete explanations evaporated when Dabord, comatose for two weeks at Scripps Memorial Hospital in Chula Vista, Calif., died a day after being removed from life-support.
No one knows exactly why Dabord would commit triple homicide, or whether he did. Dabord's accounts to friends and family contradict each other.

AI Nuggets3
03-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Len Bias' death was shocking but Hank Gathers was by far the saddest for me. he was a class act. i still get chills thinking about that day.

every college game on tv afterwards that day you could see players around the country crying when the moment when they found out. and of course the cameras were all focused on this schools star or that schools star the exact second they found out the news

Derek
03-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Hank Gathers's death wasn't that shocking because he had collapsed once before and you knew if he kept playing, it was bound to happen. Unfortunately, it did. Malik Sealy never should have died. The guy that killed him has since been arrested, and it was another DWI.

AI Nuggets3
03-08-2007, 06:11 PM
that was a great article on Bison Dele. i never knew that MJ tried to get him out of retirement. interesting

GOBB
03-08-2007, 06:24 PM
Wrong name...I remember a guy who died in 2000....hold on, i am tryin to remember...

Bobby Phils?

Derek
03-08-2007, 07:52 PM
Bobby Phils?

He died in January 2000. I met him 5 days before he died. Hornets came to town to play the Lakers. No reason for him to die.

NoGunzJustSkillz
03-08-2007, 10:33 PM
Pelly Linberg from the Flyers (NHL) crashed his Porsche 911 less than 5 mins from my house. That was crazy. I was shocked at Reggie White dying as well. Actually I couldn't believe it.

T-Low
03-08-2007, 10:38 PM
what was bobby's nickname?

aahhsin
03-08-2007, 11:04 PM
owen hart.

GOBB
03-08-2007, 11:06 PM
what was bobby's nickname?

Wth are you a homicide detective? :confusedshrug:

The Ghost
03-08-2007, 11:42 PM
for me it was Bison Dele, mainly because of the circumstances and the surreal mystery surrounding it. seemed almost like a fiction, not a reality

T-Low
03-08-2007, 11:48 PM
Wth are you a homicide detective? :confusedshrug:

No I just remember hearing it....But I thought he had a nickname....

TheHonestTruth
03-09-2007, 12:34 AM
Bias and Lewis. Both were murdered by a deranged Laker fan.

Rake2204
12-17-2013, 08:30 PM
There was a very good Bison Dele article in Sports Illustrated a few weeks ago: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/longform/bison-dele/