PDA

View Full Version : How many rings would Phil Jackson's All Time team win?

sportjames23
03-22-2014, 05:19 PM
h/t to secund2nun

Phil's got:

MJ
Pip
Shaq
Kobe
Rodman
Grant
Kukoc
Harper
Fox
Horry
Fisher
Paxson
Armstrong
Malone
Glove

Edited to match up Phil's team with Pat's.

Ya'll can propose any other coach who's coached a lot of talent, too.

HOoopCityJones
03-22-2014, 05:21 PM
Are you ****ing kidding me?

That Team wouldn't lose to any other Team in History.

Rocketswin2013
03-22-2014, 05:23 PM
They run the league for at least a decade, literally.

Le Shaqtus
03-22-2014, 05:24 PM
Might as well have a team of Terminators.

Skynet is coming.

DaOldLion
03-22-2014, 05:25 PM
no back up center

2 rings lol

sportjames23
03-22-2014, 05:27 PM
What if they face Riley's All Time team?

Riles got:

Magic
Kareem
Worthy
Scott
Cooper
McAdoo
Green
Thompson
Shaq
Wade
Glove
Wilkes
Nixon
Mourning
JWill

HOoopCityJones
03-22-2014, 05:29 PM

Riles got:

Magic
Kareem
Worthy
Scott
Cooper
McAdoo
Green
Thompson
Shaq
Wade
Wilkes
Nixon
Mourning

Thread shoulda been Phil's All-Time team vs Riley's if this is the case. :oldlol:

KobesFinger
03-22-2014, 05:29 PM

Riles got:

Magic
Kareem
Worthy
Scott
Cooper
McAdoo
Green
Thompson
Shaq
Wade
Wilkes
Nixon
Mourning

+ Ewing

sportjames23
03-22-2014, 05:30 PM
+ Ewing

Fvck, can't believe I forgot Riley's tenure with the Knicks

Hell, in that case he's also got:

Starks
Oakley
Mason
Harper
Anthony

Rocketswin2013
03-22-2014, 05:31 PM

Riles got:

Magic
Kareem
Worthy
Scott
Cooper
McAdoo
Green
Thompson
Shaq
Wade
Wilkes
Nixon
Mourning
Rename the thread, this could be a nice hypothetical.

HOoopCityJones
03-22-2014, 05:31 PM
SportJames, you forgot to add Pau Gasol to Phil's all time Team!!!

mehyaM24
03-22-2014, 05:32 PM
Riley's team beats them, every time.

sportjames23
03-22-2014, 05:33 PM
Thread shoulda been Phil's All-Time team vs Riley's if this is the case. :oldlol:

LOL, it wasn't meant to be, but since dudes said Phil's team wouldn't have any challenges, I tried to come up with another coach who's coached a bunch of talent and Riley is the only one I can think of other than Auerbach.

Pop's had some great talent, but even his teams couldn't stack up to the talent Jackson and Riley's had over the years.

salwan
03-22-2014, 05:34 PM
h/t to secund2nun

Phil's got:

MJ
Pip
Shaq
Kobe
Rodman
Grant
Kukoc
Harper
Fox
Horry
Fisher
Paxson
Armstrong

We talkin' minimum 8-peat?

+ gasol

sportjames23
03-22-2014, 05:35 PM
SportJames, you forgot to add Pau Gasol to Phil's all time Team!!!

Damn, I'm fvcking up today.

Along with Pau, Phil's also got:

Odom
Artest
Bynum

sportjames23
03-22-2014, 05:36 PM
Rename the thread, this could be a nice hypothetical.

Will do.

sportjames23
03-22-2014, 05:38 PM

Done now. :oldlol:

ZMonkey11
03-22-2014, 05:47 PM
Larry Brown wouldn't do too shabby either.

sportjames23
03-22-2014, 05:50 PM
Larry Brown wouldn't do too shabby either.

Another good pick. Off the top of my head, LB's had:

Robinson
Elliott
Big Ben
Rasheed
Billups
Rip
Prince
Iverson
Mutombo

lakers_forever
03-22-2014, 05:51 PM
Phil's team would start

Pippen
Jordan
Kobe
Rodman
Shaq

Who the hell can't stop Pippen, Jordan and Kobe together*? Add the dominance of Shaq and it's not really fair.

Bench:

Gary Payton (old glove was still better than every other PG Phil had)
Glen Rice
Tony Kukoc
Horace Grant
Pau Gasol

Riley's:

Magic
Wade
Worthy
Ewing
Kareem

It's a great team. But can't match that team, specially the Pippen - Jordan - Kobe trio. Also Kareem was not in his prime anymore.

* Only and all time rest of the NBA team (only players from 80's to today to make an easier comparisson) could beat them (but I'd still bet on Phil's team). Something like

Magic
Lebron
Bird
Duncan
Olajuwon (no Kareem, because he was past his prime with Riley, otherwise he stars here)

aj1987
03-22-2014, 05:53 PM
Riley would DESTROY Phil. KAJ, Shaq, Mourning, McAdoo, and Ewing? Damn! :eek:

NoGunzJustSkillz
03-22-2014, 05:57 PM
riley doesnt get shaq, gtfo

HOoopCityJones
03-22-2014, 06:01 PM
I forgot Shaq even played with The Heat.

That's how relevant those years are to this discussion.

Genaro
03-22-2014, 06:02 PM
Phil's Shaq >>> Pat's Shaq not even close.

sportjames23
03-22-2014, 06:13 PM
Had to edit my earlier post, since I forgot Phil coached the Glove and the Mailman and Riley also coached the Glove and JWill.

MavsSuperFan
03-22-2014, 06:55 PM
riley's version of shaq is vastly inferior to phil's version
To make this more interesting we should only evaluate based on the version that they coached.

Eg. Phil doesnt get prime payton or malone.

aj1987
03-22-2014, 07:31 PM
riley's version of shaq is vastly inferior to phil's version
To make this more interesting we should only evaluate based on the version that they coached.

Eg. Phil doesnt get prime payton or malone.
Still, Riley has the best front court by far and a pretty good back court.

Soundwave
03-22-2014, 07:37 PM
Riley has some great players, but team Phil is just too much. Too much.

Who the hell do you even double team? Shaq? Jordan? Kobe?

lol. Not to mention they have spot up shooters around those guys (Paxson, Armstrong, Fisher, Horry) out the wazoo. That team is literally unguardable.

AnaheimLakers24
03-22-2014, 07:45 PM
phil wins easily.

20Four
03-22-2014, 07:54 PM
phil wins easily.
^ This....
Once Jordan and kobe get hot....no stopping them....and if for some reason their shots are not going in...they can pound the middle with shaq all day....

HOoopCityJones
03-22-2014, 07:59 PM
Plus prime Pippin is shutting Magic down.

Probably Lebron too.

Teanett
03-22-2014, 08:02 PM
Plus prime Pippin is shutting Magic down.

Probably Lebron too.

Lebron?

HOoopCityJones
03-22-2014, 08:04 PM
Lebron?

Spo isn't Coaching this Team. :lol

Never has.

sportjames23
03-22-2014, 08:19 PM
LOL, I was tempted to put Bron on Riley's team even though he never coached him, because the Godfather did orchestrate the Takeover. :oldlol:

3LiftHeatCurse
03-22-2014, 09:15 PM
Riley's team would win. Riley has 4 legit all time great Centers in Kareem, Shaq, Mourning, and Ewing. That 4 man C rotation is GOAT, especially with Ewing and Zo being 2 of the greatest shot blocking C's ever.

Kareem, Shaq, Zo, and Ewing.... wtf. Phil only has Shaq and Gasol.

Yeah Phil has MJ....but Riley has Wade. Yeah MJ is better than Wade, but Wade was great in his own right. I believe Wade is the only superstar SG to put up MJ-like numbers and actually shoot 50% FG in a season since MJ. Something that Kobe never has done.

Then you look at PG's..... and you have Magic vs....? Kerr? Paxson? Fisher? Both Pat and Phil had old Gary Payton, so that's a wash. Give me a break. Magic would be scoring on them and dishing the ball all day to his C's.

I'd take Riley's team. With Magic at PG.... and with that C rotation, and overall depth.....

Doctor Rivers
03-22-2014, 10:08 PM
Phil's team would start

Pippen
Jordan
Kobe
Rodman
Shaq

Who the hell can't stop Pippen, Jordan and Kobe together*? Add the dominance of Shaq and it's not really fair.

Bench:

Gary Payton (old glove was still better than every other PG Phil had)
Glen Rice
Tony Kukoc
Horace Grant
Pau Gasol

Riley's:

Magic
Wade
Worthy
Ewing
Kareem

It's a great team. But can't match that team, specially the Pippen - Jordan - Kobe trio. Also Kareem was not in his prime anymore.

* Only and all time rest of the NBA team (only players from 80's to today to make an easier comparisson) could beat them (but I'd still bet on Phil's team). Something like

Magic
Lebron
Bird
Duncan
Olajuwon (no Kareem, because he was past his prime with Riley, otherwise he stars here)

:rockon:

RonSwanson
03-22-2014, 11:15 PM
Phil by a mile. Only trump cards Riley has were past their prime(Mainly during Phil's lol)

TheMan
03-22-2014, 11:40 PM
^ This....
Once Jordan and kobe get hot....no stopping them....and if for some reason their shots are not going in...they can pound the middle with shaq all day....
Plus dat defense...MJ, Pip and Kobe out on the perimeter, Shaq and Rodman protecting the paint and grabbing them rebounds.

Phil's D is way better. Phil's team easily...

TheMan
03-22-2014, 11:55 PM
Riley's team would win. Riley has 4 legit all time great Centers in Kareem, Shaq, Mourning, and Ewing. That 4 man C rotation is GOAT, especially with Ewing and Zo being 2 of the greatest shot blocking C's ever.

Kareem, Shaq, Zo, and Ewing.... wtf. Phil only has Shaq and Gasol.

Yeah Phil has MJ....but Riley has Wade. Yeah MJ is better than Wade, but Wade was great in his own right. I believe Wade is the only superstar SG to put up MJ-like numbers and actually shoot 50% FG in a season since MJ. Something that Kobe never has done.

Then you look at PG's..... and you have Magic vs....? Kerr? Paxson? Fisher? Both Pat and Phil had old Gary Payton, so that's a wash. Give me a break. Magic would be scoring on them and dishing the ball all day to his C's.

I'd take Riley's team. With Magic at PG.... and with that C rotation, and overall depth.....
That would be true but Pat get's an old Kareem and an old Shaq. Phil easily has the best center in prime Shaq. The rule is that Pat and Phil get the version of the player they coached or else we can add a prime Glove, Karl Malone and Robert Parish to Phil's team but it doesn't work like that.

aj1987
03-23-2014, 12:05 AM
Plus dat defense...MJ, Pip and Kobe out on the perimeter, Shaq and Rodman protecting the paint and grabbing them rebounds.

Phil's D is way better. Phil's team easily...

Kareem, Cooper, Green, Wade, Wilkes, Nixon, Mourning, Harper, Mason, Oakley, and Starks are all good-great-DPOY level defensive players. Come on, son. Look at the interior defense on Riley's teams. Kareem, Mourning, and Ewing guarding the paint? :biggums:

tpols
03-23-2014, 12:07 AM

Riley has a past prime version of shaq as well as past prime alonzo and KAJ.

While Phil has peak kobe/jordan/shaq/pippen...

3LiftHeatCurse
03-23-2014, 12:10 AM
That would be true but Pat get's an old Kareem and an old Shaq. Phil easily has the best center in prime Shaq. The rule is that Pat and Phil get the version of the player they coached or else we can add a prime Glove, Karl Malone and Robert Parish to Phil's team but it doesn't work like that.

You forget that Riley had Gary Payton too (2006)

3LiftHeatCurse
03-23-2014, 12:11 AM

Past-prime Alonzo?

how young are you son? Riley was Zo's coach during his prime.

and 2004 Shaq was still dominant. He alone added 20+ wins to the Heat that year and should have won MVP, and they would have reached the Finals if not for Wade's fluke rib injury.

aj1987
03-23-2014, 12:18 AM

:facepalm

Zo was 2x DPOY under Riley and KAJ was the MVP the previous year and still a 25/10/3/3 player under Riley. Also made the All-D First team. Not to mention he had a prime Ewing and a Shaq who was still a 20/10 player in the RS. Riley had amazing defensive players.

From my previous post:
Kareem, Cooper, Green, Wade, Wilkes, Nixon, Mourning, Harper, Mason, Oakley, and Starks are all good-great-DPOY level defensive players. Come on, son. Look at the interior defense on Riley's teams. Kareem, Mourning, and Ewing guarding the paint?

tpols
03-23-2014, 12:46 AM

Zo was 2x DPOY under Riley and KAJ was the MVP the previous year and still a 25/10/3/3 player under Riley. Also made the All-D First team. Not to mention he had a prime Ewing and a Shaq who was still a 20/10 player in the RS. Riley had amazing defensive players.

From my previous post:
Kareem, Cooper, Green, Wade, Wilkes, Nixon, Mourning, Harper, Mason, Oakley, and Starks are all good-great-DPOY level defensive players. Come on, son. Look at the interior defense on Riley's teams. Kareem, Mourning, and Ewing guarding the paint?

Phil has artest/rodman/pippen and jordan.. all better defenders on the perimeter. Riley has better interior defense but Phil still has Shaq.. and better offensive talent by a long shot.

VIntageNOvel
03-23-2014, 01:37 AM
how bout another legendary coach,
coach pop:

parker
manu
duncan

oh wait :lol

TheMan
03-23-2014, 01:40 AM

From my previous post:
Are we also gon' pretend Phil didn't own Pat in their H2Hs?

Let me just add that Phil/MJ sonned Pat repeatedly in NY and Miami in the post season. MJ with Pippen also sonned Magic, Ewing, Oakley, Mourning, Starks...you get the picture. Now prime MJ and Pip get prime/peak Shaq and Kobe? GTFO:oldlol:

Phil's team easily

VIntageNOvel
03-23-2014, 01:43 AM
dont forget the stacked roster coach spo have

aj1987
03-23-2014, 02:23 AM
Are we also gon' pretend Phil didn't own Pat in their H2Hs?

Let me just add that Phil/MJ sonned Pat repeatedly in NY and Miami in the post season. MJ with Pippen also sonned Magic, Ewing, Oakley, Mourning, Starks...you get the picture. Now prime MJ and Pip get prime/peak Shaq and Kobe? GTFO:oldlol:

Phil's team easily
:biggums:

Phil always had better teams than Riley. The **** you talking about? The only time MJ and Pippen "sonned" Magic was in '91 and Magic was past his prime by then. The Knicks also never had a better team than the Bulls and neither did the Zo Heat. You do understand that all these players will be on ONE team, right? Not separate teams.

Upgrayedd
03-23-2014, 03:14 AM
C: Shaq
PF: Rodman
SF: Pippen
SG: Jordan
PG: Payton

Bench:

C: Gasol
PF: Malone
SF: Artest
SG: Kobe
PG: Harper

kkb_12
03-23-2014, 04:11 AM
Let's not forget Doc Rivers:

Chris Paul
Rondo
Payton
Cassel
Michael Finley
Ray Allen
Tracy Mcgrady
Grant Hill
Paul Pierce
Shawn Kemp
Rasheed Wallace
Kevin Garnet
Ben Wallace
Patrick Ewing
Shaq

mr.big35
03-23-2014, 09:03 AM
you cant have kobe and mj in one team. too many egos would clash and they will not win

Element
03-23-2014, 09:44 AM
damn, i'd love to watch a game with prime kobe and mj both going off and just destroying their opponent

could a trio of shaq/mj/kobe average 100ppg?

LAZERUSS
03-23-2014, 10:02 AM
damn, i'd love to watch a game with prime kobe and mj both going off and just destroying their opponent

could a trio of shaq/mj/kobe average 100ppg?

Maybe, but Shaq would have to get all of his on offensive rebounds.

TheMan
03-23-2014, 10:13 AM
:biggums:

Phil always had better teams than Riley. The **** you talking about? The only time MJ and Pippen "sonned" Magic was in '91 and Magic was past his prime by then. The Knicks also never had a better team than the Bulls and neither did the Zo Heat. You do understand that all these players will be on ONE team, right? Not separate teams.
To the bolded, Phil again would have the better team, lol. Consensus GOAT Jordan with GOAT peak dominance Shaq is better than anything Riley woud throw at Phil.:oldlol:

Magic was one season removed from an MVP winning season in 91 and now we're supossed to believe he was old and declining??? :no: Nah dude, HIV robbed Magic of a few really good seasons still left in Magic. Dude was far from done when he retired.

Yes I understand they'd all be on the same team:facepalm Do you understand that you can only have 5 players on the court doe? Phil's team again has better starting 5 than anything Riles can put together.

mehyaM24
03-23-2014, 12:13 PM
To the bolded, Phil again would have the better team, lol. Consensus GOAT Jordan with GOAT peak dominance Shaq is better than anything Riley woud throw at Phil.:oldlol:

Magic was one season removed from an MVP winning season in 91 and now we're supossed to believe he was old and declining??? :no: Nah dude, HIV robbed Magic of a few really good seasons still left in Magic. Dude was far from done when he retired.

Yes I understand they'd all be on the same team:facepalm Do you understand that you can only have 5 players on the court doe? Phil's team again has better starting 5 than anything Riles can put together.

magic wasnt in his prime in 1991. nobody cares what he did the year prior. hell was kobe in his prime in 2011 after 2010?

the bulls beat a lakers team without kareem, cooper and with worthy and scott injured. peak showtime slam the bulls every ****ing year. understand?

sportjames23
03-23-2014, 12:20 PM
magic wasnt in his prime in 1991. nobody cares what he did the year prior. hell was kobe in his prime in 2011 after 2010?

the bulls beat a lakers team without kareem, cooper and with worthy and scott injured. peak showtime slam the bulls every ****ing year. understand?

I understand you're a little troll, bringing up all these anti-Bulls/MJ threads.

dannysc305
03-23-2014, 12:20 PM
Putting lebron on team Riley with wade 06 Shaq mourning Ewing hardaway Kareem etc and it's a wrap

mehyaM24
03-23-2014, 12:22 PM
I understand you're a little troll, bringing up all these anti-Bulls/MJ threads.

showtime > watered down 90s

TheMan
03-23-2014, 01:26 PM

That Lakers team got to the Finals, but yeah go ahead and pretend they were scrubs, gotta keep your anti Jordan Bulls agenda alive:cheers:

MJ must've taken a huge shit on your team year after year because you salty as the ocean.

Let it go, fakkit:oldlol:

aj1987
03-23-2014, 01:38 PM
That's a pretty good point, but you still don't understand what I'm saying. Pat had got some really good interior defenders. I'm talking about all time great. Zo and KAJ defending the paint? Even peak Shaq (won't be stopped), but will definitely be bothered. Also, Hack-a-Shaq?

Magic was 31. He wasn't old, but he definitely lost a step. He wasn't MVP Magic. The dude who would be playing on Riley's team.

Sure. Phil has the better starting 5, but Riley has the depth. Almost everyone one his team is a good to great defender. Also, Jordan and Kobe playing together?

TheMan
03-23-2014, 02:08 PM
That's a pretty good point, but you still don't understand what I'm saying. Pat had got some really good interior defenders. I'm talking about all time great. Zo and KAJ defending the paint? Even peak Shaq (won't be stopped), but will definitely be bothered. Also, Hack-a-Shaq?

Magic was 31. He wasn't old, but he definitely lost a step. He wasn't MVP Magic. The dude who would be playing on Riley's team.

Sure. Phil has the better starting 5, but Riley has the depth. Almost everyone one his team is a good to great defender. Also, Jordan and Kobe playing together?
It could work, in late 1988-89 season, Doug Collins essentially had MJ play like a point guard and he finish with 11 triple doubles out of the last 16 games recording a bunch of double digit assists totals. MJ finished that season 32.5 8 8. :bowdown:Hell, MJ ended up averaging double digit assists in his first Finals. People who didn't see MJ falsely think he was a superchucker. Dude was easily the Bulls best offensive player so obviously he's going to shoot more. On a legit offensively gifted team with Kobe, Pippen and Shaq, MJ won't hesitate to be more of a play maker, like he did in 88-89.

mehyaM24
03-23-2014, 02:13 PM
That Lakers team got to the Finals, but yeah go ahead and pretend they were scrubs, gotta keep your anti Jordan Bulls agenda alive:cheers:

MJ must've taken a huge shit on your team year after year because you salty as the ocean.

Let it go, fakkit:oldlol:

im a realist. magic was as much of an mvp candidate as kobe was in 2011 :oldlol:

combine that fact with no kareem, cooper, injured worthy and scott. bulls were lucky as **** there were no legendary teams in 90s.

TheMan
03-23-2014, 02:24 PM
im a realist. magic was as much of an mvp candidate as kobe was in 2011 :oldlol:

combine that fact with no kareem, cooper, injured worthy and scott. bulls were lucky as **** there were no legendary teams in 90s.
Dat logic:oldlol:

Name me one legendary team that didn't win a title:oldlol: You become legendary by winning, MJ's Bulls PREVENTED some teams from becoming legendary

TheMan
03-23-2014, 02:45 PM
To take your flawed logic even further, have the current Heat beaten anyone on the Showtime Lakers level? How 'bout the Kobe/Shaq Lakers? Or Duncan Spurs or original big 3 Celtics? Did they face any opponents who you could argue were on the 80s Lakers level?:oldlol:

You haters love trying to diminish the 90s Bulls title runs by saying they didn't beat opponents on the level of the Showtime Lakers or Larry's Celtics but name me one championship team since MJ's Bulls that have? You can't beat past greats, only what's in front of you.

Dat double standard:roll:

sportjames23
03-23-2014, 02:45 PM

Name me one legendary team that didn't win a title:oldlol: You become legendary by winning, MJ's Bulls PREVENTED some teams from becoming legendary

This. :cheers:

mehyaM24
03-23-2014, 02:56 PM

is rocky marciano GOAT(better than ali,tyson,foreman,robinson,leonard) because he is undefeated? LMAO

context matters(look at my showtime thread). only idiot jordon fans agree with you.

AboutBuckets
03-23-2014, 03:40 PM

Exactly. There were these two guys in Utah who played awhile back, they ran the PnR pretty well.. what were their names again?

TheMan
03-23-2014, 04:59 PM
is rocky marciano GOAT(better than ali,tyson,foreman,robinson,leonard) because he is undefeated? LMAO

context matters(look at my showtime thread). only idiot jordon fans agree with you.
Hate all you want. The MJ Bulls are considered one of the GOAT champs of all time:rockon:

sportjames23
03-23-2014, 05:05 PM
That dude is so bitter.

Seriously, I wonder what team was his favorite back then that MJ used to own. :lol

MMM
03-23-2014, 05:17 PM
Can't imagine how Phil's team would coexist. Riley's team would have better defined roles while the GOAT level talent favors Phil I don't think it is as large as people think.

mehyaM24
03-23-2014, 05:24 PM
That dude is so bitter.

Seriously, I wonder what team was his favorite back then that MJ used to own. :lol

bitter about what? lebron is quickly climbing up the ALLTIME ladder........and ready to cement himself on mt rushmore, with the likes of kareem,russell,bird,magic. :pimp:

TheMan
03-23-2014, 05:26 PM
Can't imagine how Phil's team would coexist. Riley's team would have better defined roles while the GOAT level talent favors Phil I don't think it is as large as people think.
Luckily it's PJax coaching, he was able to reign in Rodman, he'll get a bunch of chips before Kobe runs Shaq outta town:lol

TheMan
03-23-2014, 05:36 PM
bitter about what? lebron is quickly climbing up the ALLTIME ladder........and ready to cement himself on mt rushmore, with the likes of kareem,russell,bird,magic. :pimp:
This nikka so shook by MJ that he even refuses to name him:roll:

Cocksvcker, it's a GIVEN that when naming GOAT players, MJ's name has to be there.

Stay mad, bitch:oldlol:

sportjames23
03-23-2014, 05:37 PM

LOL, keep thinking that. Meanwhile, his team is struggling late in the season and will need to go through the Pacers to get back to the Finals. They barely won it all last year and look even worse this year. :oldlol: