PDA

View Full Version : Lenny Cooke Movie Documentary (FULL MOVIE)

JohnMax
03-23-2014, 04:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDT-Eye9zfo

edit: found another link that uses a youtube source but video and audio seem to be better.

http://hdmoviestream.biz/watch/?vid=1ArfohSleU4&title=lenny-cooke-doentary-full-movie

Eric Cartman
03-23-2014, 04:37 AM
"It's easy to be responsible if you responsible all the time, it's difficult when you pick and choose the times you want to be responsible".

Smook A.
03-23-2014, 04:38 AM
Where is the fuggin rep bar?

RoseCity07
03-23-2014, 04:46 AM
Been looking for this. Not buying the hype on this kid. He was a bust waiting to happen.

Vienceslav
03-23-2014, 06:08 AM
Been looking for this. Not buying the hype on this kid. He was a bust waiting to happen.
http://southparkstudios.mtvnimages.com/images/shows/south-park/clip-thumbnails/season-14/1411/south-park-s14e11c02-captain-hindsight-4x3.jpg
Thank you Captain Hindsight!
Anyway great post, I've been looking for this for some time now.:cheers:

9erempiree
03-23-2014, 06:13 AM
Just got done watching the movie. His downfall came when he moved to Michigan. He skipped a year of basketball and entered the draft.

First of all, drafting a high school kid was already a gamble. Then his draft class followed Kwame, Curry and Chandler's draft class. This was when the league started to crack down on high schoolers because the 3 kids weren't producing. Having to follow that class and skipping high school basketball for a year was disaster.

Was he good enough? We don't know....but skipping that last year of basketball in high school hurt his stock tremendously. This is a nasty occupation and people don't remember what someone did a year before. It is what have you done now. No way were teams going to gamble on this kid.

ZenMaster
03-23-2014, 06:54 AM
Just got done watching the movie. His downfall came when he moved to Michigan. He skipped a year of basketball and entered the draft.

First of all, drafting a high school kid was already a gamble. Then his draft class followed Kwame, Curry and Chandler's draft class. This was when the league started to crack down on high schoolers because the 3 kids weren't producing. Having to follow that class and skipping high school basketball for a year was disaster.

Was he good enough? We don't know....but skipping that last year of basketball in high school hurt his stock tremendously. This is a nasty occupation and people don't remember what someone did a year before. It is what have you done now. No way were teams going to gamble on this kid.

Somebody gave him some real bad advice there, that agent talking about 10-12 teams in the first round, probably just pulling numbers out his ass.

His result fits his attitude, that white t-shirt and backpack guy at the camp was giving him some real good advice and he just laughed at him :facepalm

Meeting the coach at the club 4.30 in the morning :facepalm

Not doing the push ups, and then not even hiding it but instead acting like the first one done :facepalm

Him dribbling around 1on5 in that game vs Lebron wasn't pretty, was it around the same time Randolph was playing in NY?

But whoever gave him the advice to enter the after only working out for 18 months probably neglected the fact of how stupid this guy would come off in interviews with GMs.

RoseCity07
03-23-2014, 07:30 AM
http://southparkstudios.mtvnimages.com/images/shows/south-park/clip-thumbnails/season-14/1411/south-park-s14e11c02-captain-hindsight-4x3.jpg
Thank you Captain Hindsight!
Anyway great post, I've been looking for this for some time now.:cheers:

He never had it. Did you not see the video? He admitted that he never loved basketball. You can't get to the level Lebron got to if your heart isn't in it. You can tell by the way he carries himself. He didn't look like a focused person. He even sounds like a little kid when he talks. There was physical potential but that's it.

He let Lebron score the game winner in his face even though it should never have counted because the buzzer went off while Lebron was floating in the air.

Vienceslav
03-23-2014, 07:35 AM
He never had it. Did you not see the video? He admitted that he never loved basketball. You can't get to the level Lebron got to if your heart isn't in it. You can tell by the way he carries himself. He didn't look like a focused person. He even sounds like a little kid when he talks. There was physical potential but that's it.

He let Lebron score the game winner in his face even though it should never have counted because the buzzer went off while Lebron was floating in the air.
Yea, that's what the documentary is about.:lol

Xover
03-23-2014, 07:43 AM

yes but why was the coach at a club at 4:30 in the morning :oldlol: the coach may not be the athlete here but come on..

9erempiree
03-23-2014, 07:59 AM
Somebody gave him some real bad advice there, that agent talking about 10-12 teams in the first round, probably just pulling numbers out his ass.

His result fits his attitude, that white t-shirt and backpack guy at the camp was giving him some real good advice and he just laughed at him :facepalm

Not doing the push ups, and then not even hiding it but instead acting like the first one done :facepalm

Him dribbling around 1on5 in that game vs Lebron wasn't pretty, was it around the same time Randolph was playing in NY?

But whoever gave him the advice to enter the after only working out for 18 months probably neglected the fact of how stupid this guy would come off in interviews with GMs.

Yep. I agree with everything here. :cheers:

9erempiree
03-23-2014, 08:02 AM

First of all the audio in the documentary was horrible at the half way point. Lebron did hit the shot before the buzzer went off.

I dislike Lebron, but there is no way he was going to compete against Leborn on an even scale in high school. In high school, Lebron was touted as the most complete player ever. I didn't expect him to be just as good. Remember, just because you were even or better with someone in high school doesn't mean you two are even years down the road.

ZenMaster
03-23-2014, 01:29 PM
yes but why was the coach at a club at 4:30 in the morning :oldlol: the coach may not be the athlete here but come on..

He's a grown man dealing with kids all day, you're allowed to blow off some steam.

Chuckbrook
03-23-2014, 01:35 PM
This is just sad and too many of our youth have this same type of attitude. SMDH

And for some reason I felt very sorry for him when he was at his 30th birthday party. I can't even imagine how much pain he feels inside.

-Brook

Random_Guy
03-23-2014, 01:41 PM
**** him, he had what it took to made the pros and he ruined it.
it was his own fault, you have guys out there working there ass off, im glad he didnt make it because it would be like a huge **** you to ll the guys that worked so hard. he doesnt respect the game, and nobody. dont tell me kids make mistakes, yeah kids make mistakes but they also have to take responsibility

I Love the Game
03-23-2014, 02:11 PM
This was powerful. I remember that era of the NBA when high school players were hopping into the draft in numbers. Having gone to a prep school with an elite basketball program I know kids personally who made similar mistakes by shipping themselves off to boarding schools where 'agents' would prep them for the draft, only to see them with no college offers and no chance of ending up in the league.

I feel for Cooke, but he had a serious attitude problem and I'm glad to see his story out there to hopefully help kids now and in the future.

9erempiree
03-23-2014, 03:21 PM
I didn't see any signs of an attitude problem in the documentary. He was a normal dude. He didn't do anything to jeopardize his future with his attitude.

What I think killed his potential career was moving out of the house and skipping college ball for a year. You cannot skip a year in a world of "what have you done lately." Heck, scouts fall in love with scrubs just because they had one great year. Can't believe he skipped his last year. That was what hurt him. They forgot about him.

NoGunzJustSkillz
03-23-2014, 03:24 PM

doubt his agent made him smoke crystal meth.

Eric Cartman
03-23-2014, 04:41 PM
This is just sad and too many of our youth have this same type of attitude. SMDH

And for some reason I felt very sorry for him when he was at his 30th birthday party. I can't even imagine how much pain he feels inside.

-Brook

He just looked so WACK dancing singing to that chick, in a small ass house, with a bunch of annoying people.

Gotta be tough living 10 years in the past stuck in that momento probably forever and wtf must he feel when he sees Lebron doing what he does at the highest level possible? Obviously he was never gonna be as good as them but ffs if Kwame Brown was still in the league so could have Lenny at least as a bench warmer.

Da Doc04
03-24-2014, 07:19 AM
his kid is a lebron fan...... ouch

HylianNightmare
03-24-2014, 03:47 PM
his summer league highlights looked solid iirc, the boxscores from those games look good too

millwad
03-24-2014, 04:42 PM
his summer league highlights looked solid iirc, the boxscores from those games look good too

Can you post the box scores?
Seeing the trailer I thought he was another Karlton Hines but Lenny just seemed to be very immature and naive.

And to anyone doubting his talent and skillset, the guy went head to head against HS Carmelo and LeBron. He wasn't too far behind any of them.

zoom17
03-24-2014, 04:55 PM
The part where he is celebrating his 30th birthday is sad.

jzek
03-24-2014, 05:07 PM
oh yeah :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

SamuraiSWISH
03-24-2014, 06:27 PM
On one hand a very sad story. On the other, it's self inflicted. He didn't have the atttitude, desire, work ethic or even as he admits ... a true passion, and love for the game.

He also simply wasn't that good. He wasn't that smart. Young Melo, and certainly young LeBron were more impressive in those camps. It showed. He even seemed shook by it.

That period in the NBA was so weak because of all the drafted "potential" instead of proven, smart, skillful, experienced groomed players from college. It's why that period of the NBA dropped off a cliff in terms of skill, intelligence, and manifested itself in low scoring boring basketball too.

Sad 30th birthday. Just a very depressing experience. Hopefully young players use his failures as a barometer of what not to do.

For as dumb as I feel Melo, and even LeBron are at times. They clearly were smarter, and harder workers than this guy.

He has done nothing but lay on a couch and become a lard ass since his dream fell apart. Re-invent yourself at some point dude. Basketball is dead and gone for you. He doesn't even look to be in good enough shape to play pickup.

Rake2204
04-27-2015, 02:07 AM

But whoever gave him the advice to enter the after only working out for 18 months probably neglected the fact of how stupid this guy would come off in interviews with GMs.Just watched this. Really glad I did. Very underrated documentary. Everything you say is on point, Zen. I was thinking the same things throughout.

It was actually an interesting character study. The blatant insecurity that led him to subtly asking LeBron James how many points he'd scored in his last game (sizing himself up to LBJ), pulling Carmelo over at another tournament and saying "34, that's what I'm averaging so that's the number you'll have to try to beat", and then, when he finally gives a player legit credit, he pauses and says "I busted his ass at camp though."

I know the above quotes can be read as merely being confident, but when measuring the actual delivery, it felt much more like compensation.

Observing the difficulty of handling someone like a young Lenny Cooke (hats off to that Five-Star coach at the outset, dealing with the late arrivals - so much great knowledge being dropped in a wonderful fashion), it makes me wonder how many people at least kind of like Lenny (young, ignorant, defiant, dismissive of education and learning) actually do make it to the league, and how all the coaches who know these guys, feel about them basically walking into millions of dollars despite doing so little to deserve it.