PDA

View Full Version : Julius Randle, one of the most underrated players in college

UK2K
03-23-2014, 04:32 PM
3rd in the country in double doubles, averages 15 and 10.

Right now against the first ever 35-0 team in history, Randle is keeping UK in the game, seemingly on his own.

7 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists with 16 minutes to play.

If he gets as good as his right hand as he is with his left, he will be a monster, and a steal in this year's draft.

Andrei89
03-23-2014, 04:33 PM
One of my favorite players in this draft along with Embiid and Smart.

But, then again, Beasley was the same type of player in college. He was a bully in the low post.

Lets hope Randle turns into something special.

IncarceratedBob
03-23-2014, 04:33 PM
He's the most NBA ready player in the draft

RightToCensor
03-23-2014, 04:35 PM
How are you underrated but a Top 5 Prospect in the upcoming draft? :biggums:

Smook A.
03-23-2014, 04:35 PM
My prospect ranking

1. Embiid
2. Jabari
3. Randle
4. Exum
5. Wiggins
6. Smart

Julius Randle definitely deserves more credit

UK2K
03-23-2014, 04:37 PM
How are you underrated but a Top 5 Prospect in the upcoming draft? :biggums:
Right now he's projected, on average, as the 6th pick (I've seen him as low as 8) simply because UK has struggled this season.

He will be a top 3 player in this draft.

ImKobe
03-23-2014, 04:38 PM
My problem with Randle is that he's a 6'8 PF so if his inside/post game doesn't translate as well to the league, he'd be a 6'8 SF without a 3pt shot.

He got that Z-Bo potential, but I'm not completely sold on him right now. Seen too many undersized PFs that be average in the NBA like Beasley, Derrick Williams.

Rocketswin2013
03-23-2014, 04:40 PM
My problem with Randle is that he's a 6'8 PF so if his inside/post game doesn't translate as well to the league, he'd be a 6'8 SF without a 3pt shot.

He got that Z-Bo potential, but I'm not completely sold on him right now. Seen too many undersized PFs that be average in the NBA like Beasley, Derrick Williams.
Damn there's no sarcasm font.

RightToCensor
03-23-2014, 04:44 PM
Randle will be drafted 4-6.

He doesn't really have franchise potential like Embiid, Parker, and Wiggins but he can be a solid 2nd option.

truhooper
03-23-2014, 04:45 PM
he's beasting now :coleman:

UK2K
03-23-2014, 04:46 PM
Man move by Randle. Took his man off the dribble, spun into the lane, drew the contact, and finished with the touch.

9 pts, 9 rebs, 6 asts.

UK2K
03-23-2014, 04:47 PM

The big plus about Randle is his shooting form is pure. He's got range when he does take it, he's knocked down a few jumpshots, including a few threes, in the past few games.

Bless Mathews
03-23-2014, 04:48 PM
Man move by Randle. Took his man off the dribble, spun into the lane, drew the contact, and finished with the touch.

9 pts, 9 rebs, 6 asts.
Top 5 play of tourney.

That dunk earlier. Smh.

I'd take him over wiggins and Parker.

hawksdogsbraves
03-23-2014, 04:48 PM

I think his size is fine to play the 4. He's a pure 4 too, not a stretch 4 like Beasley or Derrick Williams. If for some reason his game doesn't translate and he can't bang inside he'll be useless at the next level.

Also if anyone thinks Wiggins or Parker can be the best player on a championship team they're kidding themselves. The only one in this class with that potential is Embiid, and maybe Exum I guess I don't really know anything about his game. And even they are very unlikely to reach that level.

JimmyMcAdocious
03-23-2014, 04:49 PM
He's Josh Smith without the potential to be an all world defender. But maybe a Josh Smith that knows he shouldn't be jacking up bricks.

RightToCensor
03-23-2014, 04:50 PM
Top 5 play of tourney.

That dunk earlier. Smh.

:biggums: :biggums: :biggums: :biggums: :biggums: :biggums: :biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

veilside23
03-23-2014, 04:52 PM
Top 5 play of tourney.

That dunk earlier. Smh.

because that's you :) even if they win over wichita state it wont be a surprise for me

Bless Mathews
03-23-2014, 04:53 PM
because that's you :) even if they win over wichita state it wont be a surprise for me
Huh?

UK2K
03-23-2014, 04:55 PM
Not to mention hes 19 (or 18?).

He'll probably grow another inch or two, and his big frame can hold another 20 pounds.

Gotta take over here.

RightToCensor
03-23-2014, 04:58 PM
Randle will be a less polished Z-Bo. Which means 2nd or 3rd best player on a championship team.

senelcoolidge
03-23-2014, 04:59 PM
I think Randle is going to be a bust. He may seem strong in college, but in the NBA he will face bench players stronger than him. He's short and short armed. There are other guys that are short and short armed but they have other things like smarts or are super athletic or a combo of both. I don't think he will do much in the pros.

mattvNJ
03-23-2014, 05:01 PM
Randle will be a less polished Z-Bo. Which means 2nd or 3rd best player on a championship team.
Being a huge z-bo fan i get the same vibe, guys built just like him. And the state they produce are semi similar in regards to boards/points. Just solid double doubles every night. :cheers:

veilside23
03-23-2014, 05:01 PM
Huh?

i maybe wrong but i dont see him doing what zbo is doing right now... :rolleyes: so i wont take him over parker not even over smart.

RedBlackAttack
03-23-2014, 05:06 PM
I like Randle. In a draft with a lot of "potential" guys at the top, I think Julius is a relatively safe bet to be a double-double machine on the next level. It isn't all about size, but also mentality. Randle may be of similar height to guys like Derrick Williams and Michael Beasley, but those guys were more reliant on being quick/athletic for their position.

Randle is a bull. He does have the athleticism, but he's also very aggressive down low. Definitely reminiscent of Zach Randolph.

I think Randle will be a 15/10 guy at worst, with all of the tools and the mentality to be 20/10+. j would not be shocked if he ended up being the best player in this draft.

RightToCensor
03-23-2014, 05:08 PM
http://cdn1.sbnation.com/assets/3797161/length.jpg

JimmyMcAdocious
03-23-2014, 05:10 PM
Young = ? Thad Young?

Inferno

Damn, LMA. He should be a better defender

RightToCensor
Young = ? Thad Young?
yes

moe94
03-23-2014, 05:11 PM
LMA doe

hawksdogsbraves

Is the Young on there James Young?

RightToCensor
Z-Bo's wingspan is in the 7'4 to 7'5 range according to SBNation.

moe94
03-23-2014, 05:15 PM
This game is really great

truhooper
03-23-2014, 05:16 PM
This game is crazy

RightToCensor
03-23-2014, 05:17 PM
Who is this Early kid. What's his first name?

moe94
03-23-2014, 05:19 PM
Holy shit

RightToCensor
03-23-2014, 05:19 PM
wtf?!1

IncarceratedBob
03-23-2014, 05:21 PM
Nevr

Random_Guy
03-23-2014, 05:21 PM
Crazy ****ing game

moe94
03-23-2014, 05:22 PM
If that went in....

veilside23
03-23-2014, 05:23 PM

he did that last year too

Cleanthony Early dude is a senior

hawksdogsbraves
03-23-2014, 05:26 PM
Here we go

moe94
03-23-2014, 05:27 PM
Undefeated my ass.

mattvNJ
03-23-2014, 05:27 PM
This game will bump early up a few slots in the draft... most have him going late-last first round.

moe94
03-23-2014, 05:31 PM
Who saw that chick crying? She mad.

veilside23
Would only benefit randle somehow....

but seriously would he be better than derrick williams?

hawksdogsbraves
Even though Wich St. lost they're a really good team, it's unfortunate that they had to play a team as talented as UK this early.

That said, go Cats! :cheers:

UK2K
03-23-2014, 05:50 PM
13 points, 10 rebounds, 6 assists.

5-6 from the FT line.

He now leads college basketball in double doubles with 22.:applause:

UK2K
03-28-2014, 11:10 PM
Julius Randle with 9 points, 9 rebounds at halftime vs the dirty birds.

aburre21
03-28-2014, 11:34 PM
man this id is a flat out rebounder. He needs more polish on the offensive side of the ball though. He struggles to play in traffic. He loses the ball a lot.

JimmyMcAdocious
03-28-2014, 11:48 PM
man this id is a flat out rebounder. He needs more polish on the offensive side of the ball though. He struggles to play in traffic. He loses the ball a lot.

Forces from time to time. Predictable moves, but he's so strong. A little below the rim, imo, and I don't think he's crafty like Zbo (since people keep comparing the two).

Wavves
03-29-2014, 12:08 AM
Julius Randle is underrated? Pretty sure he has been in talks to go top 5 all season long :oldlol:

Brizzly
03-29-2014, 12:09 AM
Forces from time to time. Predictable moves, but he's so strong. A little below the rim, imo, and I don't think he's crafty like Zbo (since people keep comparing the two).

Question is how strong is he in the NBA.

Fudge
03-29-2014, 12:22 AM
CLEAN block for Randle too. :facepalm:

moe94
03-29-2014, 12:27 AM
They hating on da brodie

UK2K
03-29-2014, 12:45 AM
Randle finishes with 15 and 12, hitting two clutch free throws to seal the game with UK up 1.

He's 10-12 from the free throw line in his last two games, hitting 6 free throws under the 1 minute mark.

Best college basketball game I've ever watched.

aburre21
03-29-2014, 01:51 AM

I think it's great that he plays sort of below the rim because in the NBA you'll need skills to score. It's crazy though because he's a great athlete. Guy can jump out the gym, but he's kind of like LeBron, they don't try to dunk in traffic too much. I think that will be good for his longevity though

sundizz
03-29-2014, 02:04 AM
Yeah, this kid will be doing just fine in the league. He has that left hander ability to innately score and be smooth. He loses it in traffic because the college game is so congested. In the NBA he'll have guard that can actually penetrate and/or throw him a decent post pass. He'll be getting much easier looks. Additionally, off a pick and pop he'll continue to grow and be effective. He doesn't settle for jumpers and uses his strength off p/r's to head right to the rim.

He's not truly an exceptional athlete....but he is. It's just the type of athletic that is tough to see unless you are physically battling him yourself. He does have hops though and can really throw it down if given space. In tight spots he doesn't try to do that nonsense though and just does the Zbo create space with girth and behind move.

I'd say, as a rookie, 12 and 8.8

JimmyMcAdocious
03-29-2014, 03:16 AM
Think you are underrating the ridiculous amount of touch Randolph has around the rim. That and probably having the strongest lower body in the NBA is why he's able to do what he does while nearly every other player like him is sitting on the bench or in Europe.

Oh, and I don't think he will bust or anything. With that body and motor, alone, Randle will be a decent role player. That doesn't even take into account the good amount of skill he does already possess.

I do think there's a gap between Wiggins/healthy Embiid/(and even) Parker with Randle, tho. Parker, btw, I still stand by saying is a terrible defensive player and is the type of player you don't build around as a #1 option if you want to win a championship. Maybe Exum as well. Who knows?.. The guy's legend continues to grow even though no one has watched him play.

Then there's Gordon. The more I watch him, the more I like him. I hope he stays one more year to really develop his offensive game (thinking Arizona starts running the offense through him more next year) because his upside is unbelievable. His athleticism is elite-elite, shows it defensively, and has demonstrated some uncommon skills for a guy his size. He's like the defensive version of Blake Griffin. In terms of true #2 potential (so not like Wiggins as #2 - Wade or Westbrook as a #2 when they are obviously #1 talents), I think Gordon is the best. Players are like that are valuable. IMO, more so than low tier #1's (someone like what was perceived to be Tyreke Evans early in his career).

aburre21
03-29-2014, 04:05 AM
Think you are underrating the ridiculous amount of touch Randolph has around the rim. That and probably having the strongest lower body in the NBA is why he's able to do what he does while nearly every other player like him is sitting on the bench or in Europe.

Oh, and I don't think he will bust or anything. With that body and motor, alone, Randle will be a decent role player. That doesn't even take into account the good amount of skill he does already possess.

I do think there's a gap between Wiggins/healthy Embiid/(and even) Parker with Randle, tho. Parker, btw, I still stand by saying is a terrible defensive player and is the type of player you don't build around as a #1 option if you want to win a championship. Maybe Exum as well. Who knows?.. The guy's legend continues to grow even though no one has watched him play.

Then there's Gordon. The more I watch him, the more I like him. I hope he stays one more year to really develop his offensive game (thinking Arizona starts running the offense through him more next year) because his upside is unbelievable. His athleticism is elite-elite, shows it defensively, and has demonstrated some uncommon skills for a guy his size. He's like the defensive version of Blake Griffin. In terms of true #2 potential (so not like Wiggins as #2 - Wade or Westbrook as a #2 when they are obviously #1 talents), I think Gordon is the best. Players are like that are valuable. IMO, more so than low tier #1's (someone like what was perceived to be Tyreke Evans early in his career).

I think Julius Randle is just as good an athlete as Aaron Gordon considering how much more stocky he is. What I like about is that even though he's huge he has quick feet. He's extremely mobile for a guy his size. What I've seen from Julius Randle is very pleasing because this kid has the physical talent but he has this incredible motor to go with it. It's like he's always hustling for loose balls and rebounds and he's very willing to defend. He's had some nice blocked shots this season and I don't think people have been really paying attention to it.

ImKobe
03-29-2014, 04:11 AM
Randle looks like a solid 17 point 10 rebound guy in the NBA. I think he's a pretty safe 4th/5th pick in the draft, I wouldn't mind if we drafted him.

bdreason
03-29-2014, 04:15 AM
Randle is probably my favorite college player. Has nice moves and touch around the paint and finishes with contact. I do worry about his game translating to the NBA against bigger, faster, stronger defenders though.

aburre21
03-29-2014, 04:40 AM
I really do understand people's reluctance though because as good as I think he is, I don't think he can be as good a player as Anthony Davis in the league. Like I see Anthony Davis as a couple tiers above him as a prospect. In today's NBA you'll need to be able to shoot the 10-15 footer and I don't know if he can develop that touch. Even a guy like Dwight Howard can't get away with his brute strength in the league and some games he looks completely like a scrub.

secund2nun
03-29-2014, 11:30 AM
I really do understand people's reluctance though because as good as I think he is, I don't think he can be as good a player as Anthony Davis in the league. Like I see Anthony Davis as a couple tiers above him as a prospect. In today's NBA you'll need to be able to shoot the 10-15 footer and I don't know if he can develop that touch. Even a guy like Dwight Howard can't get away with his brute strength in the league and some games he looks completely like a scrub.

The shooters also have games where they look like scrubs. In fact, it's more common for the shooters to look like scrubs as their shots are lower percentage. A post game is the most consistent form of scoring. I don't think anyone is expecting him or any other player in this draft class to be as good as Anthony Davis. AD is a rare dominant player that comes around once in a blue moon.

I'll take Randle over Wiggins easily. I think Wiggins will bust. I am not impressed with him at all.

aburre21
03-29-2014, 12:04 PM
The shooters also have games where they look like scrubs. In fact, it's more common for the shooters to look like scrubs as their shots are lower percentage. A post game is the most consistent form of scoring. I don't think anyone is expecting him or any other player in this draft class to be as good as Anthony Davis. AD is a rare dominant player that comes around once in a blue moon.

I'll take Randle over Wiggins easily. I think Wiggins will bust. I am not impressed with him at all.
I think Wiggins will be one of the greats. It's crazy how people can have such differing opinions. We'll just have to wait and see though

aburre21
03-29-2014, 12:05 PM
Also, I can't name one guy in the league that is a consistent scoring big man that doesn't have that jump shooting ability

UK2K
03-30-2014, 07:58 PM
Julius Randle

16pts, 11rebs

In one of the greatest games I've ever seen. I keep repeating that statement but if you have been watching UK the last three games, all three have been NCAA classics.

Randle in the tournament:
19pts, 15rebs
13pts, 10rebs, 6 asts
15pts, 12rebs
16pts, 11rebs

aburre21
03-30-2014, 09:05 PM
that boy can't stop eating off the glass. he really a double double machine. He needs a midrange game though and I think he has nice form but Cal doesn't want him taking those shots so he doesn't take many. Anthony Davis wasn't taking midrange jumpers in college as well and he's a pretty good shooter.