PDA

View Full Version : The only way to win in this era is to team up with other superstars.

Connor B
03-23-2014, 09:48 PM
Or hope to God that you get traded to a team that has one or two, like Chris Paul.

I really enjoy this era of NBA ball and there's a lot of good players, but at the end of the day it seems bad for the league that this new blueprint is to create super teams, and that's how you win, and everyone's sort of accepted that that's how it works. Everyone talks about Durant going to Houston in free agency, or Love going to the Lakers, or Carmelo maybe going somewhere. While I do not criticize these players for wanting to put themselves in positions to win, I fear what kind of future it sets for the league. Under this sort of regime, there are 20+ teams who won't really be able to do anything any given year. At the end of the day, the super teams will run the league.

For this reason, rooting for the Thunder is easy. They really did build everyone up organically. Everything good about them occurred through draft, trades, and development. This, to me, is a team that deserves a lot of respect. I feel the same way about Indiana, Spurs, and the Clippers somewhat as well.

Don't we need to get back to teams developing organically?

Smook A.
03-23-2014, 09:51 PM
That's I hate the Heat and respect teams like the Spurs and Thunder

Built (Spurs and OKC) vs Bought (Miami)

3peated
03-23-2014, 09:54 PM
Or hope to God that you get traded to a team that has one or two, like Chris Paul.

I really enjoy this era of NBA ball and there's a lot of good players, but at the end of the day it seems bad for the league that this new blueprint is to create super teams, and that's how you win, and everyone's sort of accepted that that's how it works. Everyone talks about Durant going to Houston in free agency, or Love going to the Lakers, or Carmelo maybe going somewhere. While I do not criticize these players for wanting to put themselves in positions to win, I fear what kind of future it sets for the league. Under this sort of regime, there are 20+ teams who won't really be able to do anything any given year. At the end of the day, the super teams will run the league.

For this reason, rooting for the Thunder is easy. They really did build everyone up organically. Everything good about them occurred through draft, trades, and development. This, to me, is a team that deserves a lot of respect. I feel the same way about Indiana, Spurs, and the Clippers somewhat as well.

I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Howing, think about someone like Kg who was on the timberwolves and never really had a chance, he had to do it all himself with minimal help, then he goes to boston later in his career, still works hard and gets what he was after. That to me is just as acceptable. People will think I'm just being a Kobe stan but I would say the same thing bout Shaq, leaving a team in your prime to get an easy ring, is pretty sad.

RightToCensor
03-23-2014, 09:57 PM
Spurs
OKC
Dallas

all went to the Finals in this era and didn't really sign a big FA during the offseason prior.

navy
03-23-2014, 09:58 PM

Do you hate the rockets?

Smook A.
03-23-2014, 10:06 PM
Do you love the rockets?
Yes

JohnFreeman
03-23-2014, 10:07 PM
Yes
Didn't the Rockets sort of buy Harden and Howard?

navy
03-23-2014, 10:07 PM
Yes
Thought so.

Free agency is a viable method of building a team. The built the right way is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. There is no right way as long as you arent cheating. The goal is to win the rings.

navy
03-23-2014, 10:08 PM
Didn't the Rockets sort of buy Harden and Howard?
And Lin and Asik, who they massively over paid for.

Smook A.
03-23-2014, 10:09 PM
Thought so.

Free agency is a viable method of building a team. The built the right way is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. There is no right way as long as you arent cheating. The goal is to win the rings.
I changed your question to "do you love the rockets" and I said yes

navy
03-23-2014, 10:13 PM
I'm a f@ggot
Yes, I know you are. Yes I saw you change the text. It didnt change my response.

KD35willbeGOAT
It's not just this era, every era has had super teams that are quality wise, above the cellar dwellers. It's what the league gets for having 30 teams, and only about 5-10 superstars maximum. It is a star driven league, after all.

RightToCensor

Guys don't leave their franchise just to team up and make a dynasty, they leave their team because they are frustrated with the management (i.e. Lebron in CLE and Dwight in LA). The players sign with teams that are best fitted for them whether it's location, the roster, or management.

Uncle Drew
03-23-2014, 10:17 PM
Why is OP still allowed to make threads?

Rose'sACL
03-23-2014, 10:20 PM

Both rockets superstars were drafted by other teams.

Big Cheese
03-23-2014, 10:22 PM
no one gives a shit how their team was built fans just care about winning :hammerhead:

Qwyjibo
03-23-2014, 10:23 PM
So you're saying that the best way to win in this league is for multiple superstars to team up? It's almost as if you're saying that having lots of talent on one team is a good thing for that team.

Who cares how teams do it? IT DOESN'T MATTER. If you have smart enough management to create a desirable team for great players to join, how is that a bad thing? Full credit to that team's management.

Fire Colangelo
03-23-2014, 10:36 PM

Wow the irony...

sammichoffate
03-23-2014, 11:16 PM
I think OP's main issue with teams like the Heat is the collusion and whatnot. Free agency is inherently going to piss some people off because of Star power shifting from one part of the league to another i.e., Dwight, Lebron. Winning with an "organic" team is slightly more respectable though imo (Spurs, Dallas), but it doesn't matter too much

iamgine
03-23-2014, 11:30 PM

Except there's nothing to go back to...

Just like any era, we have teams that develop organically and not organically. You can find this in any era, even as far back as the 60s when Wilt Chamberlain joined a team with three other All Stars.

Smook A.
03-23-2014, 11:31 PM
Yes, I know you are. Yes I saw you change the text. It didnt change my response.
What's up with ISH and the words related to gay?

God damn.

navy
03-23-2014, 11:33 PM
What's up with ISH and the words related to gay?

God damn.
:confusedshrug:

FLDFSU
03-24-2014, 12:14 AM

You need to hate Boston...they are the ones that started it. The Heat was just responding to it.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
03-24-2014, 12:16 AM
https://theonba.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/2011_nba_playoffs_dirk_nowitzki_miami_heat.jpg

FLDFSU
03-24-2014, 12:19 AM
https://theonba.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/2011_nba_playoffs_dirk_nowitzki_miami_heat.jpg

And where did this "Dallas is organic" notion come from?

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
03-24-2014, 12:24 AM
And where did this "Dallas is organic" notion come from?
"The only way to win in this era is to team up with other superstars"
Dirk was the only superstar on that team

navy
03-24-2014, 12:26 AM
"The only way to win in this era is to team up with other superstars"
Dirk was the only superstar on that team
True, but Terry outplayed Lebron that series and the other players 3s were falling all postseasn long so its not like he was without help.

Bandito
03-24-2014, 12:31 AM
True, but Terry outplayed Lebron that series and the other players 3s were falling all postseasn long so its not like he was without help.
Of course he had help but it wasn't superstar or even all star help.

Rake2204
03-24-2014, 12:37 AM
no one gives a shit how their team was built fans just care about winning :hammerhead:I'd dispute that. As a Detroit Red Wings fan, their 2002 Stanley Cup always felt a bit... less neat than their wins in '97 and '98. Yes, I still enjoyed it, but victory only after outbidding every other team on a smorgasbord of Hall of Famers (Steve Yzerman, Sergei Fedorov, Brett Hull, Luc Robataille, Dominik Hasek, Chris Chelios, amongst others) felt a little cheap, particularly in hindsight.

Regarding the NBA, sometimes I wonder what the Eastern Conference would look like if guys resisted the temptation to team up and instead continued to try to ride or die with their own teams. We still have some good matchups out there currently, but I admit I kind of miss James, Wade, and Bosh going up against one another (and others).

As can be assumed by now, I think it's pretty clear that I do not believe "win at all costs" includes players going out of their way trying to stack a team as heavily as possible so as to drown out as much other competition by default. Thankfully, it's usually not that easy, as most friends who team up aren't great enough to make it so. But when that line is crossed, it kind of kills it for me.

Nuff Said
03-24-2014, 12:40 AM
Why do we even have a fa? It's obviously taboo to even think about using it.

Rodmantheman
03-24-2014, 12:44 AM
Smook A. The Rockets are Just like the Heat Team you hate nothing home grown about them.

red1
03-24-2014, 12:45 AM
Sour grapes. Boo hoo