PDA

View Full Version : Starting to think the Thunder would be better without Brook.

Connor B
03-23-2014, 11:17 PM
I used to write this logic off as retarded because Brook is one of the most athletic point guards we've probably ever seen and is a total monster when he is playing the right way, but this season we learned that Durant, who was previous berated for being kinda passive mentally, CAN have the killer mentality when he is the undisputed alpha and leader of the team.

If I'm OKC, I would try to dump Brook for solid bench pieces and create a deep team. They basically need a 6th man like Harden again.

IncarceratedBob
03-23-2014, 11:19 PM
Brooks

T.O.RapsJays
03-23-2014, 11:19 PM
I used to write this logic off as retarded because Brook is one of the most athletic point guards we've probably ever seen and is a total monster when he is playing the right way, but this season we learned that Durant, who was previous berated for being kinda passive mentally, CAN have the killer mentality when he is the undisputed alpha and leader of the team.

If I'm OKC, I would try to dump Brook for solid bench pieces and create a deep team. They basically need a 6th man like Harden again.

Marshon Brooks doesn't play for OKC :coleman:

JohnFreeman
03-23-2014, 11:22 PM
Who would Durant defer to in the finals though?

AirTupac
03-23-2014, 11:23 PM
Brook? BROOK?

:facepalm

GOATbrookisGAWD
03-23-2014, 11:26 PM
:facepalm

nathanjizzle
03-23-2014, 11:33 PM
The difference is that westbrook brings the tempo up when he is in the game. Without westbrook the tempo revolves around durant.

Mass Debator
03-23-2014, 11:36 PM
Westbrook would be such a beast off the bench. 6th man award every year into his trophy collection. His production won't even drop much.

GOATbrookisGAWD
03-23-2014, 11:38 PM
Westbrook would be such a beast off the bench. 6th man award every year into his trophy collection. His production won't even drop much.
True, dude has been killing it on minute restrictions since returning from his knee surgery. Imagine him clowning on most teams benches :lol

He's too good for a bench role though.

Mass Debator
03-23-2014, 11:40 PM
True, dude has been killing it on minute restrictions since returning from his knee surgery. Imagine him clowning on most teams benches :lol

He's too good for a bench role though.
He definitely is too good but I think it'll benefit OKC so much. He'll still play like around 30 mins and all the crucial minutes in crunch time. Oh well, don't see it happening.

JohnFreeman
03-23-2014, 11:41 PM
Maybe Irving or Rondo should sign with OKC, Westbrook can go back to being SG

Bless Mathews
03-24-2014, 12:21 AM
Been typing this for ever.

And yes. Once again. OKC is better TEAM without chuck brook. Everybody fills their roles. Play better. Knows their roles. Defer to the best player on the planet right now.

When Durant doesn't have to worry about chuck brook chucking, he IS a killer. Much more alpha.

Trade him for rondo Abd an athletic big.

scm5
03-24-2014, 04:02 AM
Been typing this for ever.

And yes. Once again. OKC is better TEAM without chuck brook. Everybody fills their roles. Play better. Knows their roles. Defer to the best player on the planet right now.

When Durant doesn't have to worry about chuck brook chucking, he IS a killer. Much more alpha.

Trade him for rondo Abd an athletic big.

Imagine if they traded WB + Steven Adams for Big Al and Kemba.....

Shiiieeeeeeeeeeee

russwest0
03-24-2014, 04:17 AM
As of right now with Westbrook on a minutes restriction they need to bring him off the bench or change up the rotation.

Right now him and Durant play ALL of their minutes together and Brooks runs these stupid ass second unit lineups now that Jeremy Lamb is (for whatever reason) in the doghouse. Teams are beating OKC's bench as a result.

OKC just needs a new coach. Phil Jackson was basically begging to come to OKC, but he wanted total control which he wouldn't get.

hahaitme
03-24-2014, 04:17 AM
Imagine if they traded WB + Steven Adams for Big Al and Kemba.....

Shiiieeeeeeeeeeee

Westbrook is good, but for Kemba and Jefferson? Helll naa

Steven Adams ain't making up for that either

bdreason
03-24-2014, 04:20 AM
I'm starting to think Durant's game is better suited for a slower tempo. The Thunder should be trying to play at a slower pace, and they naturally do when Westbrook isn't playing.

Imagine Durant playing with a possession PG like Chris Paul. :eek:

russwest0
03-24-2014, 04:43 AM
Imagine Durant playing with a possession PG like Chris Paul. :eek:

People need to stop with this mindset. Either they aren't watching the games or don't understand how Scott Brooks's offense works.

OKC doesn't run an offense that gets all players involved. Not sure if people are watching the games or not. When people move around off ball, it's only if it's someone like Durant running free to get open and receive the ball. Having a PG like Chris Paul who is only better than Westbrook at taking care of the basketball and getting assists (gets gifted plenty by the stats scorers too) and worse at everything else wouldn't help OKC at all. All of the role players on the team absolutely depend on Westbrook being in attack mode 24/7 like he is for them to produce in Scott Brooks offense.

ZenMaster
03-24-2014, 04:53 AM
People need to stop with this mindset. Either they aren't watching the games or don't understand how Scott Brooks's offense works.

When people move around off ball, it's only if it's someone like Durant running free to get open and receive the ball.

Westbrook being in attack mode 24/7

You outlined "the problem" yourself.

russwest0
03-24-2014, 04:59 AM
You outlined "the problem" yourself.

When is the last time Scott Brooks ran a play for someone not named Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka?

I'll be waiting for your answer.

ZenMaster
03-24-2014, 05:10 AM
When is the last time Scott Brooks ran a play for someone not named Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka?

I'll be waiting for your answer.

You must have completely missed the point.

russwest0
03-24-2014, 05:13 AM
You must have completely missed the point.

Nah, I didn't.

Over a third of Westbrooks assists are to Durant. Didn't think I needed to address the BSPN notion that Westbrook doesn't get Durant the ball enough when Durant is about to get his 4th scoring title playing alongside him.

russwest0
03-24-2014, 05:18 AM
People should really watch and pay attention to OKC's offense more to see just how bad it is from a coaching standpoint. It's basically all isolation basketball created by Westbrook and Durant.

Role players don't even get involved in terms of just catching the pass on the wing and throwing it to a big or someone else.

They don't even draw up plays for Ibaka really. It's just Westbrook or Durant attacking the basket and drawing attention away from Ibaka. Or Durant getting double teamed. The only player they really draw plays for is Durant. This is why, despite having a top 3 bench in terms of talent alone, they don't produce like such. No system in place at all.

ZenMaster
03-24-2014, 05:21 AM
Nah, I didn't.

Over a third of Westbrooks assists are to Durant. Didn't think I needed to address the BSPN notion that Westbrook doesn't get Durant the ball enough when Durant is about to get his 4th scoring title playing alongside him.

Technically he's just not that good a passer in the half court, not compared to his competition. He makes up for it with aggressive finishing because he has to, and that takes away from good set option offense. It's not that it doesn't work, it's just that it could probably work better with other top tier point guard.

Also, when is a play for somebody? Who is a pickn'roll for? There are about 17 different possible passes on a regular middle pickn'roll.

russwest0
03-24-2014, 05:32 AM
I guess all I need to say is people need to watch the Memphis series last year to see what I am talking about.

Ibaka's production goes to shit. Kevin Martin's production goes to shit. Durant gets double/triple teamed every time down.

There is no offense in place consisting of any reliable ball movement to create open looks. It's all individual talent from Westbrook being in constant attack mode and able to create for most importantly himself, and also others.

ZenMaster
03-24-2014, 05:41 AM
I guess all I need to say is people need to watch the Memphis series last year to see what I am talking about.

Ibaka's production goes to shit. Kevin Martin's production goes to shit. Durant gets double/triple teamed every time down.

There is no offense in place consisting of any reliable ball movement to create open looks. It's all individual talent from Westbrook being in constant attack mode and able to create for most importantly himself, and also others.

No the Memphis series doesn't matter because it isn't about having Westbrook vs not having Westbrook.

Of course they're better with him than without.

They run the offense that fits the players, would look different with Paul or Rondo.
Can't have Westbrook do a bunch of set up passes because he's not that good at it, much better at attacking the rim.

russwest0
03-24-2014, 05:45 AM
No the Memphis series doesn't matter because it isn't about having Westbrook vs not having Westbrook.

Of course they're better with him than without.

They run the offense that fits the players, would look different with Paul or Rondo.
Can't have Westbrook do a bunch of set up passes because he's not that good at it, much better at attacking the rim.

lol'd

All Net
03-24-2014, 05:47 AM
Trading a top 7 plater for other smaller pieces doesn't make them better in terms of winning it all.

Okc are fine as they are.

Artillery
03-24-2014, 07:29 AM
Last year's playoffs should tell you they aren't better without Westbrook.

sundizz
03-24-2014, 07:53 AM
Though this would never happen at the NBA level (except for Manu), WB should be the 6th man. He is a one man wrecking crew, as is Durant.

They hinder each other and do not necessarily help the other one (as they are both scorers at heart, rather than facilitators). It's not like Durant needs anything more than a screen. He just needs shooters around him.

The only time they should play together is for the last 5 minutes of a game. That is because for 5 minutes you need two killer mentality players. That way teams can't just key in and double Durant too much. WB can and will get to the line in important games in the clutch.

iznogood
03-24-2014, 07:55 AM
Technically he's just not that good a passer in the half court, not compared to his competition. He makes up for it with aggressive finishing because he has to, and that takes away from good set option offense. It's not that it doesn't work, it's just that it could probably work better with other top tier point guard.

Also, when is a play for somebody? Who is a pickn'roll for? There are about 17 different possible passes on a regular middle pickn'roll.
He's a great passer. Not elite, but a very good one. One of the OKC's problem is they don't have a legit big to hit on the pick and roll. Perkins doesn't finish well and also can't clear the paint to make some space for Ibaka as a roller, because he doesn't hit his jumpers. Also OKC will get into their 2 man game with very little motion beforehand and this is easy to defend. What russwest0 said was spot on. I agree Westbrook is not as good at using the pick and roll to change the tempo and setting of the offense as some other players do, but his ability to get in the lane and score among others compensate that.