PDA

View Full Version : Dante Exum

sammichoffate
03-24-2014, 10:33 AM
What's his floor and what's his ceiling? Probably the most interesting pick in this draft imo

RightToCensor
03-24-2014, 10:35 AM
MCW at the begining if the season, but a better playmaker.

Olacinco
03-24-2014, 10:36 AM
floor= Dante Exum

Ceiling= Dante Exum

LoneyROY7
03-24-2014, 10:41 AM
Ceiling = 6'6 Tony Parker/Penny Hardaway.

I think there's a strong possibility he could end being the best player in the draft. At least top 2 or 3.

chocolatethunder
03-24-2014, 11:00 AM
Who has really seen enough of him? I mean he looks good but he sure as hell can't shoot and he hasn't played against the best DI guys in the us on a regular basis. I watched all I could on him but it's tough to tell. He looks good and seems coachable but he's unproven or at least compared to the guys in the NCAA. That doesn't mean that he's not gonna be good but it's much harder to tell with him than with any of the dudes coming out of here. He's def gonna go top 8 but you just don't know.

sammichoffate
03-24-2014, 11:02 AM
Who has really seen enough of him? I mean he looks good but he sure as hell can't shoot and he hasn't played against the best DI guys in the us on a regular basis. I watched all I could on him but it's tough to tell. He looks good and seems coachable but he's unproven or at least compared to the guys in the NCAA. That doesn't mean that he's not gonna be good but it's much harder to tell with him than with any of the dudes coming out of here. He's def gonna go top 8 but you just don't know.Like Kobe? :cheers:

Milbuck
03-24-2014, 11:58 AM
I can't exactly say what his ceiling and floor will be, but he is without a doubt the most intriguing prospect in this draft, even moreso than Embiid. Embiid is the better prospect, but Exum is the more intriguing prospect given the circumstances and the nature of his game.

The guy is a 6'6" combo guard with a 6'9"+ wingspan. He's got an insanely quick first step, clearly the best first step of the draft (or at least of the prospects that matter). He's got that future superstar-like ability to contort his body through any amount of defenders and get to the rim at will. Once he's there, he's got the finesse to finish with either hand, and the explosiveness to dunk on anyone. And when he's not scoring, he's got genuine point guard instincts and vision to run an offense. It's not elite vision, but with some honing here and there he could be fully capable of it. His height, wingspan, and absurd lateral quickness make him a great defensive prospect as well. His biggest problem is his jumpshot, and I've seen way too many players who have developed from poor shooters to good shooters to be concerned by this. He's also a high-character guy, highly intelligent, and from all accounts, seems to be a hard worker and have the aggressiveness/competitiveness you want out of a franchise player.

He realistically could be better than Jabari and Wiggins. He's got all the tools to do it.

longtime lurker
03-24-2014, 12:05 PM
Is he good? Can the Heat get him?

fpliii
03-24-2014, 12:08 PM
Floor - Michael Jordan
Ceiling - Kobe Bryant

Clyde
03-24-2014, 01:00 PM
Top - Penny

Floor - Larry Hughes

also show me a highlight of this kid using his left hand to do anything basketball related.

chocolatethunder
03-24-2014, 01:05 PM
I can't exactly say what his ceiling and floor will be, but he is without a doubt the most intriguing prospect in this draft, even moreso than Embiid. Embiid is the better prospect, but Exum is the more intriguing prospect given the circumstances and the nature of his game.

The guy is a 6'6" combo guard with a 6'9"+ wingspan. He's got an insanely quick first step, clearly the best first step of the draft (or at least of the prospects that matter). He's got that future superstar-like ability to contort his body through any amount of defenders and get to the rim at will. Once he's there, he's got the finesse to finish with either hand, and the explosiveness to dunk on anyone. And when he's not scoring, he's got genuine point guard instincts and vision to run an offense. It's not elite vision, but with some honing here and there he could be fully capable of it. His height, wingspan, and absurd lateral quickness make him a great defensive prospect as well. His biggest problem is his jumpshot, and I've seen way too many players who have developed from poor shooters to good shooters to be concerned by this. He's also a high-character guy, highly intelligent, and from all accounts, seems to be a hard worker and have the aggressiveness/competitiveness you want out of a franchise player.

He realistically could be better than Jabari and Wiggins. He's got all the tools to do it.
That can be said about lots of players. Look at Rubio. He's long and is easily the best passer in his generation me a great defender. His shot is terrible and has not gotten better not even a little bit so his game has not really opened up. It's nice to say all that stuff about Exum when he plays against U19 comp I whatever but dudes who look like him sometimes get tossed around like rag dolls. I like him but there's just too much unknown to say he's gonna be great or whatever. He sure could be but so could have tim Thomas and a million other dudes.

GaryRaymond23
03-24-2014, 01:11 PM
I can't really pinpoint a specific player on him, he reminds me a lot of Penny, Jalen Rose and Brandon Roy.

chocolatethunder
03-24-2014, 01:15 PM
I can't really pinpoint a specific player on him, he reminds me a lot of Penny, Jalen Rose and Brandon Roy.
K based on what? Do you live in Australia?

GaryRaymond23
03-24-2014, 01:17 PM
K based on what? Do you live in Australia?

What exactly would living in Australia have to do with anything?

chocolatethunder
03-24-2014, 01:22 PM
What exactly would living in Australia have to do with anything?
That you would have seen him play more? Not just his YouTube stuff

GaryRaymond23
03-24-2014, 01:25 PM
That you would have seen him play more? Not just his YouTube stuff

Could you be any more ignorant? I've seen Exum play about 7 full games this year - does that make me an expert on him? Absolutely not, however I know what I've seen and he reminds me of the 3 specified players listed. I didn't realize I wasn't entitled to any opinion on a sports forum Mr. Dawkins.

coin24
03-24-2014, 01:34 PM
I'm not sold on him, why the fu*k isn't he playing anywhere if he's so great?
Training in LA? Bullshit

Play in the nbl even or why not go a year in college.
Really hope the lakers don't get this guy..

fpliii
03-24-2014, 01:38 PM
I'm not sold on him, why the fu*k isn't he playing anywhere if he's so great?
Training in LA? Bullshit

Play in the nbl even or why not go a year in college.
Really hope the lakers don't get this guy..
Because he has nothing to prove? :confusedshrug: Even if there are question marks, it seems enough scouts are already sold.

Outside of Embiid and Wiggins, he's the guy I want the most.

Clyde
03-24-2014, 01:43 PM
Because he has nothing to prove? :confusedshrug: Even if there are question marks, it seems enough scouts are already sold.

Outside of Embiid and Wiggins, he's the guy I want the most.

yikes.

fpliii
03-24-2014, 01:45 PM
yikes.
Excuse me?

I haven't seen enough of him, and I don't think anybody else here has, but if I have a top 3 pick, give me the guy with the super high ceiling.

GaryRaymond23
03-24-2014, 01:46 PM
Excuse me?

I haven't seen enough of him, and I don't think anybody else here has, but if I have a top 3 pick, give me the guy with the super high ceiling.

Not a big fan of Parker?

fpliii
03-24-2014, 01:47 PM
Not a big fan of Parker?
I don't like him as much as Embiid or Wiggins, but I'd take Parker over Exum. Isn't he probably staying though?

GaryRaymond23
03-24-2014, 01:48 PM
I don't like him as much as Embiid or Wiggins, but I'd take Parker over Exum. Isn't he probably staying though?

Unsure, was just curious why you would take Exum over Parker given the opportunity to acquire one of them.

STATUTORY
03-24-2014, 01:51 PM
he needs to get himself on the lakers, with kobe's tutelage he would truly be able to tap into his full potential. it would also mitigate the impact of kobe's contract since his mentorship of the next lakers great is certainly worth at least 6 million per year

Clyde
03-24-2014, 01:55 PM

I bet he stays 1 more year.

Clyde
03-24-2014, 01:56 PM
he needs to get himself on the lakers, with kobe's tutelage he would truly be able to tap into his full potential. it would also mitigate the impact of kobe's contract since his mentorship of the next lakers great is certainly worth at least 6 million per year

I'm almost positive Kobe could give a rats ass about training some kid when he's trying to win a ring in the next 2 years.

fpliii
03-24-2014, 01:57 PM
I bet he stays 1 more year.
Would suck. Kills the draft's depth. If Embiid does too, we'll probably get a second year of tanking ******ry.

Jameerthefear
03-24-2014, 02:01 PM
Kobe's tutelage is a joke. Stop.

steve
03-24-2014, 02:04 PM
Unsure, was just curious why you would take Exum over Parker given the opportunity to acquire one of them.

His opinion isn't that uncommon and word is that a number scouts have been down on Parker over the last several weeks while Exum has become more intriguing. A lot of this has to do with the ability to more acutely pick apart not just Parker's game but Wiggins' too and Embiid having pretty clear health issues (something that with the recent struggles of Bynum and Oden's injury history still be fresh in everyone's mind due to Durant, is making people panic all the more).

Some of it has to do with the flaws in Parker as a player, a few of which seem to be inherent. Some of the things he should be able to kick, namely the poor shoot selection and the lackadaisical attitude on defense (I'm not sure he's ever going to be a strong defender, but he can certainly up his effort). But he's shown to struggle against legit NBA caliber defenders. A lot of this becomes more noticeable when you watch him play against someone like Akil Mitchell -- which might not be the best example due how good of a defender Mitchell is -- but he had significant trouble in all shapes playing against Mitchell where he couldn't take him off the dribble or muscle him down low. And that really is what's starting to divide a number of people on Parker. It's hard to imagine him as a 3 at the next level, so how exactly is going to get quality shots off at the next level in situations where he has to create.

Exum on the other hand benefits slightly from being more of an unknown and what scouts do know about are things that they tend to love about players at his position and for his age. It's true that his shot is awful at the moment but it's far from broken and most people who have seen him feel that it's pretty fixable. But outside of that, there's not a lot of negatives people have latched on too (again, which partly has something to do with the limited information available on him). Even for a 2 guard (which personally is where I see him playing but whatever) he's tall and long. He already has excellent instincts taking the ball to the basket, defensively, and distributing the ball, all things that scouts love to be more intuitive than taught at Exum's age.

This might change once we get into the combine and workouts, and people get a better feel for all the players in the draft, but right now, the perception is that Exum's ceiling is just higher than Parker's.

Clyde
03-24-2014, 02:04 PM
Would suck. Kills the draft's depth. If Embiid does too, we'll probably get a second year of tanking ******ry.

yup, completely agree.

Tanking teams are going to end up with guys like Randle, Smart, Hood, Gary Harris (yuck).

Genaro
03-24-2014, 02:05 PM
Lakers doesn't have next year's pick.
Worst case scenario, Embiid and Parker don't enter the draft, Lakers get 6th pick, chooses someone not so good and fail to get in the playoffs.

Clyde
03-24-2014, 02:06 PM
Kobe's tutelage is a joke. Stop.

yes, we get it. you hate, and have no respect for Kobe Bryant.

move on.

chocolatethunder
03-24-2014, 02:06 PM
Could you be any more ignorant? I've seen Exum play about 7 full games this year - does that make me an expert on him? Absolutely not, however I know what I've seen and he reminds me of the 3 specified players listed. I didn't realize I wasn't entitled to any opinion on a sports forum Mr. Dawkins.
Of course you are entitled to whatever you want. If you wanna base an opinion off of seven games against competition that would be eaten alive by any DI program, that's certainly your prerogative. I don't even dislike the guy but there's not a lot of info about him unless you think seven games is a lot. And I don't see the Jalen Rose or Roy at all. Comparing someone to Jalen Rose isn't much of a compliment. He was nothing close to a pg in the pros and Exum as def a lot quicker and thinner than rose for sure.

fpliii
03-24-2014, 02:07 PM
Worst case scenario, Embiid and Parker don't enter the draft, Lakers get 6th pick, chooses someone not so good and fail to get in the playoffs.
Oh I wasn't talking about LA, tanking is a league-wide epidemic. Another year of this would be brutal.

fpliii
yup, completely agree.

Tanking teams are going to end up with guys like Randle, Smart, Hood, Gary Harris (yuck).
I do think Smart could be legit. Some concerns though.

Clyde

who has their pick??

This is news to me, unless I've forgotten due to the barrage of crazy future picks outstanding.

Clyde
03-24-2014, 02:08 PM
I do think Smart could be legit. Some concerns though.

Smart could be ok. Certainly has the size for the NBA. Attitude a litlle questionable.

Genaro
03-24-2014, 02:09 PM
who has their pick??

This is news to me, unless I've forgotten due to the barrage of crazy future picks outstanding.
Suns, Nash trade :facepalm

fpliii
03-24-2014, 02:09 PM
Smart could be ok. Certainly has the size for the NBA. Attitude a litlle questionable.
I haven't watched as much of him this year as I did last, but isn't his lack of touch from range an issue as well?

Clyde
03-24-2014, 02:10 PM
who has their pick??

Ah....duh the suns.

Though the pick is top 5 then top 3 protected.

Clyde
03-24-2014, 02:11 PM
I haven't watched as much of him this year as I did last, but isn't his lack of touch from range an issue as well?

he stayed in school to work on his shot....it's better, though he's more of an attack the rack type of player.

chocolatethunder
03-24-2014, 02:24 PM
I like that Smart hustles and plays hard but he's not athletic and he's too small for the two. He's not super quick either. I really like him as a college player but apart from playing hard and having heart, I don't see him as a good pro. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see it w him. It's like he has the intangibles minus all the other stuff. Today's league is quick and athletic and he doesn't really fit in there. He's not a good shooter and he can shoot too much at times and I worry that his lack of shot and quickness will do him in in the NBA.

ZenMaster
03-24-2014, 03:34 PM
Of course you are entitled to whatever you want. If you wanna base an opinion off of seven games against competition that would be eaten alive by any DI program, that's certainly your prerogative. I don't even dislike the guy but there's not a lot of info about him unless you think seven games is a lot. And I don't see the Jalen Rose or Roy at all. Comparing someone to Jalen Rose isn't much of a compliment. He was nothing close to a pg in the pros and Exum as def a lot quicker and thinner than rose for sure.

I know a coach who's team played Exum, said he was flat out amazing. This is a coach that has developed NBA talent as well.

Sounds like it doesn't matter what anyone says though because of your limited info on him.

chocolatethunder
03-24-2014, 03:39 PM
I know a coach who's team played Exum, said he was flat out amazing. This is a coach that has developed NBA talent as well.

Sounds like it doesn't matter what anyone says though because of your limited info on him.
Actually I like him and think he should and will go in the top 6. I'm apprehensive because no one here as seen as much of him as we have of the top american prospects, that's all. Im just being realistic and not getting caught up in the hype. Everyone said Darko was amazing.

outbreak
03-24-2014, 05:06 PM
living in australia doesn't make much difference to seeing much of exum, the only games I've seen with him have all been available internationally. He hasn't been playing in our basketball league he's been in our institute of sport as far as I am aware. He's unproven but he's shown he has potential and intrigue about him, the work outs and scrimmages are when teams will know if he's worth a top 3 pick or not.

Ca$H
03-24-2014, 05:43 PM
What's his floor and what's his ceiling? Probably the most interesting pick in this draft imo

floor- Bran
ceiling- Shaun Livingston.

KyrieTheFuture
03-24-2014, 05:47 PM
Floor - Italian Marble
Ceiling - Probably wooden crossbeams and Stucco but could be wrong.

chips93
03-24-2014, 06:10 PM
Floor - Italian Marble

:lol

AirFederer
03-24-2014, 06:19 PM
The most impressive about him is his name, how do they come up with this?

coolhandsteve
03-24-2014, 06:25 PM
Floor - Italian Marble

:oldlol: :applause:

TheMilkyBarKid
03-24-2014, 06:43 PM
The most impressive about him is his name, how do they come up with this?
Mr and mrs exum named their son Dante

sick_brah07
03-24-2014, 06:55 PM
his draft stock says east melbourne which is bullshit his from the west, seabrook represent nikka

KDthunderup
03-24-2014, 07:00 PM
Is his jumpshot really that bad?

Looking at this video it at least already looks better then someone like Rubio's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udv_mlTycf0

steve
03-24-2014, 07:11 PM
Is his jumpshot really that bad?

Looking at this video it at least already looks better then someone like Rubio's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udv_mlTycf0

Draft Express shows some better examples of what's wrong with his shot in their scouting report of his from about a year ago but it's hardly a broken shot. The biggest problem is his is form is inconsistent.

KDthunderup
03-24-2014, 07:14 PM
Draft Express shows some better examples of what's wrong with his shot in their scouting report of his from about a year ago but it's hardly a broken shot. The biggest problem is his is form is inconsistent.
Sounds like something that can be easily fixed

steve
03-24-2014, 07:35 PM
Sounds like something that can be easily fixed

That's what I'm thinking, we're not talking about Michael Kidd-Gilchrist here.

mr.big35
03-24-2014, 07:38 PM
how are the competition in australia

BigMacAttack
03-24-2014, 07:49 PM
how are the competition in australia

Not very good compared to the states, not very good at all. But we are beggining to produce some nice talent.

There is a very small population of Sudanese is Australia and I swear every one I see is tall, long and athletic, I try and recruit them all but mostly they like soccer.

Euroleague
03-24-2014, 08:24 PM
Actually I like him and think he should and will go in the top 6. I'm apprehensive because no one here as seen as much of him as we have of the top american prospects, that's all. Im just being realistic and not getting caught up in the hype. Everyone said Darko was amazing.

No, AMERICANS said Darko was "amazing". Stop revising history.

Euroleague
03-24-2014, 08:28 PM

Don't ever trust anything those jackasses say. They pick and choose clips to form whatever opinions and arguments they want to.

They will say someone is a great shooter or a bad shooter, then find any clips they can to justify that, then show "video evidence" to "verify" that, and "back it up by showing the shooting form".............

You could make a video of Reggie Miller missing 5 wide open shots and with his god awful ugly as hell and horrible horrible horrible shooting form you could "prove" to anyone with "video evidence" that he was a "horrible shooter", and vice versa with other such examples the other way.

Don't ever believe those freaking clowns.

I'm not saying he's a good shooter, or a bad shooter. I don't watch him play. I am just saying you cannot trust those mofos on anything.

BigMacAttack
03-24-2014, 09:10 PM
he doesnt have a broken shot or what ever has been getting around. he isnt a great shooter but like someone else said, we aren't talking about MKG here.

KDthunderup
03-24-2014, 09:13 PM
he doesnt have a broken shot or what ever has been getting around. he isnt a great shooter but like someone else said, we aren't talking about MKG here.
Yeah he isn't a 'great' shooter, but when your main weaknesses that they can nitpick on is that you aren't a great shooter but still an alright shooter heading into the NBA that is pretty impressive.

Magic731
03-24-2014, 09:32 PM
Exum will be the best player in the draft, there is doubt in my mind. His length along with his explosiveness and lighting quick first step will see him get to the rim at will. He has a great head on his shoulders as well, will not get ahead of himself and always willing to learn.

ZenMaster
03-24-2014, 10:14 PM
Exum will be the best player in the draft, there is doubt in my mind. His length along with his explosiveness and lighting quick first step will see him get to the rim at will. He has a great head on his shoulders as well, will not get ahead of himself and always willing to learn.

I think I agree, he has the best combination of speed and size for his position(s).
6-6 and 6-9 wing span is really good for a guard.

Lebron23
08-06-2015, 10:41 PM
Exum was getting some major hype last year. I hope he at least have a Shaun Livingston type of career in the NBA.