PDA

View Full Version : Please give me a good reason why Wiggins should stay in school?

hateraid
03-24-2014, 01:05 PM
A buddy of mine is convinced that Wiggins should stay in school to help his draft stock.
Would this really help him? I'm feeling if he stays he may not even be a top 5 with all the recruits Kansas is bringing in.

Jameerthefear
03-24-2014, 01:07 PM
There isn't a good reason. There is not one good reason.

RightToCensor
03-24-2014, 01:07 PM
There isn't.

GaryRaymond23
03-24-2014, 01:09 PM
Staying won't help his draft stock whatsoever, he's essentially a lock for a top 3 pick, a consensus 1st overall pick by many. Staying in school would MOST LIKELY further develop his attitude and mature his overall game but .. money talks. I can't see him passing up on GUARANTEED millions.

chocolatethunder
03-24-2014, 01:11 PM
No reason at all. If you're going to be a lottery pick you have to declare. There's too much risk if you don't. See John Wallace.

hateraid
03-24-2014, 01:11 PM
Staying won't help his draft stock whatsoever, he's essentially a lock for a top 3 pick, a consensus 1st overall pick by many. Staying in school would MOST LIKELY further develop his attitude and mature his overall game but .. money talks. I can't see him passing up on GUARANTEED millions.

can Self mature him more than an NBA and veteran player mentor could?

Jameerthefear
03-24-2014, 01:12 PM
College ball doesn't mature your game faster than the NBA. That's a myth.

GaryRaymond23
03-24-2014, 01:13 PM
can Self mature him more than an NBA and veteran player mentor could?

Well that's entirely opinionated but I'd say yes, I truly believe staying another year at school could better prepare him for the NBA world. Let alone the money, all the temptations and bad influences the NBA consistently offers seemingly takes advantage of too many talented players.

RightToCensor
03-24-2014, 01:13 PM
For centers it does, perimeter players... no.

hateraid
03-24-2014, 01:14 PM

EXACTLY.
NBA coaching, playing for money, veteran player mentorship, all better on player development.

The myth that he needs to stay in college to build size is a myth as well. Player conditioning in NBA is far more superior than college.

Jameerthefear
03-24-2014, 01:16 PM
For centers it does, perimeter players... no.
How does it develop centers more when almost every team plays zone defense?

bk33
03-24-2014, 01:17 PM
stay one whole year to go from 2nd to 1st?

RightToCensor
03-24-2014, 01:19 PM
They can develop their post pass game and midrange vs. Zone teams.

Clyde
03-24-2014, 01:24 PM

Physically they aren't ready for an 82 game schedule vs. adults.

The physicality in the NBA compared to NCAA is like night and day....these kids take a beating and break down fast.

GaryRaymond23
03-24-2014, 01:27 PM

You can't just classify that as a myth, it's entirely opinionated. That's like me stating that staying in school matures your game more. That's a fact.

Clyde
03-24-2014, 01:33 PM
Staying in school better prepares you for the NBA.

Learning the in and outs of basketball at the college level would better prepare you to for the NBA.

The longer you stay the more you learn, the more you know, the better prepared you will be.

Not saying you cant learn at the NBA level, because you obviously do, it would just be at an advanced rate.

It would be like doing grade 12 math without taking grade 11 math. It's not impossible, some people may find it easy to do. But you cant argue taking grade 11 math would better prepare you for grade 12 math.

...not the best comparison, but I hope you understand what I'm getting at.

MavsSuperFan
03-24-2014, 01:34 PM
Unless you arent going to be a lottery pick and feel 1 extra year will help you became a lottery pick, you should go to the NBA as early as possible.

Age limits will help the NBA and current players.
Age limits will greatly hurt prospective players looking to join the nba.

MavsSuperFan
03-24-2014, 01:35 PM
Staying in school better prepares you for the NBA.

Learning the in and outs of basketball at the college level would better prepare you to for the NBA.

The longer you stay the more you learn, the more you know, the better prepared you will be.

Not saying you cant learn at the NBA level, because you obviously do, it would just be at an advanced rate.

It would be like doing grade 12 math without taking grade 11 math. It's not impossible, some people may find it easy to do. But you cant argue taking grade 11 math would better prepare you for grade 12 math.

...not the best comparison, but I hope you understand what I'm getting at.

Horrible comparison. The risks are much too high with staying in college. An injury in your second year or something that exposes a weakness (eg. oden's knees) could destroy your draft stock. Guaranteed contracts in the NBA. Learn the game while getting paid.

GaryRaymond23
03-24-2014, 01:36 PM
It's funny because you can argue both sides, yet there's never a definitive answer.

Oh but Kobe, Kevin Garnett, LeBron, Tmac, Moses Malone never went to college ..

What if Josh Smith, Gerald Green, JR Smith, Darius Miles, Telfair, Jonathan Bender, Livingston etc. went to college ..

Clyde
03-24-2014, 01:38 PM
Horrible comparison. The risks are much too high with staying in college. An injury in your second year or something that exposes a weakness (eg. oden's knees) could destroy your draft stock. Guaranteed contracts in the NBA. Learn the game while getting paid.

what does any of that have to do with the previous posts?

Clyde
03-24-2014, 01:40 PM

we were discussing on how staying in school benefits a player.

nothing to do with injuries or contracts.

just overall being the most prepared as possible going into a situation.
:facepalm

GaryRaymond23
03-24-2014, 01:40 PM
What about Damian Lillard? He stayed 4 years, came into the NBA and made a immediate impact

As did the greatest PF of all time.

Clyde
03-24-2014, 01:41 PM
It's funny because you can argue both sides, yet there's never a definitive answer.

What if Josh Smith, Gerald Green, JR Smith, Darius Miles, Telfair, Jonathan Bender, Livingston etc. went to college ..

how many of those guys had an immediate impact?? 2?

imdaman99
03-24-2014, 01:42 PM
He should stay so he can get drafted by the Knicks next year. They can't pick him this year :rockon:

MavsSuperFan
03-24-2014, 01:42 PM
I agree with that.

Kobe, Kevin Garnett, LeBron, Tmac, Moses Malone never went to college

Nothing would have changed if they went to college. Only the chance at getting hurt before signing a contract and proving that they can succeed at the NBA level. And also lower career earnings from starting later.

What if Josh Smith, Gerald Green, JR Smith, Darius Miles, Telfair, Jonathan Bender, Livingston etc. went to college

why is it that people think that NBA level coach are not able to teach the fundamentals of the game and that college level coaches are better teachers?

Perhaps more likely these guys just lack the ability to learn.

I totally reject that a nba player that wants to get better, cant find the resources and coaching (from assistants, or even former players) to improve. Those that fail to improve are more likely just too lazy to seek out the help and put in the work.

Clyde
03-24-2014, 01:46 PM
Nothing would have changed if they went to college. Only the chance at getting hurt before signing a contract and proving that they can succeed at the NBA level. And also lower career earnings from starting later.

why is it that people think that NBA level coach are not able to teach the fundamentals of the game and that college level coaches are better teachers?

I totally reject that a nba player that wants to get better, cant find the resources and coaching (from assistants, or even former players) to improve. Those that fail to improve are more likely just too lazy to seek out the help and put in the work.

:rolleyes:

MavsSuperFan
03-24-2014, 01:47 PM
what does any of that have to do with the previous posts?
Simply stating that the financial considerations alone should rule out the choice of staying in school. Unless of course your dad is extremely rich. Other than that get your ass to the nba and sign a contract as soon as the nba allows you to.

how many of those guys had an immediate impact?? 2?
the point is nba coaching allowed them to learn and improve. What is the argument to learning and improving in college and not getting paid?

we were discussing on how staying in school benefits a player.

nothing to do with injuries or contracts.

just overall being the most prepared as possible going into a situation.
:facepalm
my point is that in comparison the risks of not joining the nba as soon as possible the benefits are negligible.

Also i disagree that guys cant learn in the nba. Learning while getting paid> learning while not getting paid.

GaryRaymond23
03-24-2014, 01:47 PM

I suppose ignorance is bliss

Clyde
03-24-2014, 01:52 PM

because they work with kids.....were as NBA coaches are working with veteran adult players......did you start in the top of your field when you entered the work force?

red1
03-24-2014, 01:58 PM
choosing to stay would be a very foolish move. who knows what happens between now and next year

MavsSuperFan
03-24-2014, 02:03 PM
because they work with kids.....were as NBA coaches are working with veteran adult players......did you start in the top of your field when you entered the work force?
I would have loved the chance to close audits, rather than make calls to confirm bank accounts and amounts or do inventory.

I would have loved the authority to sign off on amounts rather than research the fair market value of capital assets.

99% of people cant start out at the top. If given the chance, of course you should take it.

because they work with kids
How would that help develop a post game?
The number 1 skill of good college coaches isnt even coaching. Its recruiting.

20Four
03-24-2014, 02:05 PM
There isn't a good reason. There is not one good reason.
Jameer please give me a good reason why you didn't change your avy after you lost the bet? :applause:

MavsSuperFan
03-24-2014, 02:10 PM
Jameer please give me a good reason why you didn't change your avy after you lost the bet? :applause:
Jameer, people are going to lose respect for you, if you welch on bets.

Jameerthefear
03-24-2014, 02:12 PM
Jameer, people are going to lose respect for you, if you welch on bets.
I don't care what some half-wit on the other side of the U.S. thinks of me.

Clyde
03-24-2014, 02:14 PM
I would have loved the chance to close audits, rather than make calls to confirm bank accounts and amounts or do inventory.

I would have loved the authority to sign off on amounts rather than research the fair market value of capital assets.

99% of people cant start out at the top. If given the chance, of course you should take it.

How would that help develop a post game?
The number 1 skill of good college coaches isnt even coaching. Its recruiting.

practice makes perfect?

I dunno man, I think we're arguing two separate things here.

I fully understand why you leave to the NBA after 1 year.

I just think you'd be more prepared to have a positive impact year 1 of the NBA if you stayed in school.

Clyde
03-24-2014, 02:15 PM
I don't care what some half-wit on the other side of the U.S. thinks of me.

exactly...we're all just words on a board here.

Derka
03-24-2014, 02:19 PM
None. He probably already dogged it for his second semester, not anticipating going back to school. He's already a good bet for a Top 3 pick. I dunno...maybe he doesn't want to play in Philly or Milwaukee? Is that worth passing up millions of guaranteed dollars? I doubt it.

Clyde
03-24-2014, 02:20 PM
To Answer the original question. Wiggins shouldn't stay in school.

Kansas didn't even use the kid most of the time.

Honestly the team frooze him out on the floor....shoulda stuck him in the high post vs. Stanford.

Oh Well. Bill Self is over rated.

UK2K
03-24-2014, 02:25 PM
His stock wont get any higher...

But his potential for bust is pretty high as well.

He was 1-6 in Kansas exit yesterday. He's been very mediocre.

Another season playing in college with unlimited playing time >>>>>>>> getting drafted by the Bucks and playing for a scrub team in cold weather shot chucking.

Hes not physically dominant, so he needs to refine his skill. He can do that much more efficiently at the college level then being throw to the lions in the NBA.

That said, he'd be an idiot not to jump.

chocolatethunder
03-24-2014, 03:22 PM
He should def come out but for some staying in school does help. Everyone is different and develops differently. Some guys get drafted by the wrong team and either aren't ready physically or in other cases emotionally. Kwame brown was ready physically but emotionally way behind. Collins and Jordan were the worst combo for him. He prob would have benefitted from a year in school. Darko as well. Larry Brown was the worst thing for him. He would have done well playing in Europe at least another year. A guy like Austin Rivers would have benefitted from at least another year. Some guys respond to the pros and some aren't ready. Some guys can develop quickly in the NBA and some need more coddling and need the attention. It just varies. If the D league wasn't such a mess they could use it more for player development.

wakencdukest
03-24-2014, 04:53 PM
No reason to stay if you're a lottery pick. But, damn, people here act like college is worthless or something:facepalm 99.9 percent of kids coming out of college are not close to being ready for the NBA. The few elite ones that are ready should leave early if they are lottery picks, otherwise it would be smart to stay and mature into at least NBA first rounders.

20Four
03-24-2014, 04:56 PM
The reason why he should stay in school is so he doesn't turn out to be like Milbuck whos fascinated with ***** (must have gotten raped by his dad) and stays home all day posting BS :roll:

Solefade
03-24-2014, 05:03 PM
i really believe staying in school will make you better prepared for the NBA. obviously there are exceptions but look at some of the greatest players in history...they all went to college for at least a couple years

smoovegittar
03-24-2014, 05:43 PM
Can't think of one. He's ready enough in my opinion. Can't wait to see the Sixers land him! :applause:

TheReal Kendall
03-24-2014, 05:50 PM
There are none. He's already top 3 pick. The only reason I can see is if it's just something personal. Like he wanna finish school or he wanna win an NCAA championship.

I'm all for staying in school but I know I would chase those millions if I was in his shoes.

Jailblazers7
03-24-2014, 05:52 PM
There might be a case if he doesn't feel emotionally ready. It might not be the best thing for him to become a millionaire and a celebrity.

MavsSuperFan
03-24-2014, 06:04 PM
His stock wont get any higher...

But his potential for bust is pretty high as well.

He was 1-6 in Kansas exit yesterday. He's been very mediocre.

Another season playing in college with unlimited playing time >>>>>>>> getting drafted by the Bucks and playing for a scrub team in cold weather shot chucking.

Hes not physically dominant, so he needs to refine his skill. He can do that much more efficiently at the college level then being throw to the lions in the NBA.

That said, he'd be an idiot not to jump.

What if he finds out that he is not a franchise level player, and hurts his draft stock?

Why is everyone so confident that skills can only be developed in college?

ProfessorMurder
03-24-2014, 06:29 PM
If he genuinely cared about being the best player he could be, he'd go two years in college.

Clyde
03-24-2014, 06:36 PM
What if he finds out that he is not a franchise level player, and hurts his draft stock?

Why is everyone so confident that skills can only be developed in college?

how does going to the pros after one year benefit you over staying in college for multiple years?

Im not talking about contracts, Im talking about being the most NBA ready you can be.

mr.big35
03-24-2014, 07:12 PM
why should he stay if he is a top 5 pick. he would risk injury playing one more college bball and be a scrub

NumberSix
03-24-2014, 07:52 PM
College girls.

Sarcastic
03-24-2014, 08:01 PM

College coaches aren't paid to work with kids. They are paid to win games. If a coach feels sitting a kid instead of developing him will win more games, that kid is gonna sit.

And stop comparing basketball to a normal workforce. It's completely different.

CelticBaller
03-24-2014, 08:03 PM
College girls.
you can pull more as an nba player :confusedshrug:

Dro
03-24-2014, 08:05 PM
you can pull more as an nba player :confusedshrug:
This.....

Sarcastic
03-24-2014, 08:07 PM
how does going to the pros after one year benefit you over staying in college for multiple years?

Im not talking about contracts, Im talking about being the most NBA ready you can be.

Do you think doing something 30 times would make you better than doing something 82 times? On top of that college has limited practice and limited time with coaches. Pros you practice every day, and can work with coaches as much as you want.

Clyde
03-24-2014, 08:30 PM
College coaches aren't paid to work with kids. They are paid to win games. If a coach feels sitting a kid instead of developing him will win more games, that kid is gonna sit.

And stop comparing basketball to a normal workforce. It's completely different.

How do you figure?

Or are you being sarcastic?

Clyde
03-24-2014, 08:32 PM
Do you think doing something 30 times would make you better than doing something 82 times? On top of that college has limited practice and limited time with coaches. Pros you practice every day, and can work with coaches as much as you want.

They don't have practice everyday.

Where'd you come up with that little gem?

Do they fly city to city in a plane with a gym?

No?

Eat it.

ZenMaster
03-24-2014, 08:38 PM

NBA has very limited practice time, why? Because they play 82 games across the country.

You can't work as much with coaches as you want because you have relax in order to be ready for the 82 games.

$LakerGold
03-24-2014, 08:42 PM
He stays in College for another year, then he ****s up. Good luck.

He ****s up in the NBA, he's got 4mill to spend on.

Sarcastic
03-24-2014, 08:44 PM
NBA has very limited practice time, why? Because they play 82 games across the country.

You can't work as much with coaches as you want because you have relax in order to be ready for the 82 games.

Still more practice than college. By a lot too.

RidonKs
03-24-2014, 08:54 PM
There might be a case if he doesn't feel emotionally ready. It might not be the best thing for him to become a millionaire and a celebrity.
was waiting for somebody to say this, kinda sad it took this long lol

there aren't any good basketball reasons for him to stay, it's a clear financial liability to risk an injury during another year at college, and there's always a chance his stock dips even further.

but the pressures of playing in the nba compared to staying in college for another season are beyond our wildest imagination -- especially for a top pick. depending on the player that pressure gap might actually be wider than the talent/competition gap between the two leagues. for a 19 y/o kid to make that jump, if he has any sense of himself and what he actually wants, personal factors are probably weighing on his mind a lot more than basketball factors. plus not like a guy like that isnt already convinced he's gonna be a future nba legend, he's probably being told day-in day-out about how he'll best hone his skill and develop his body, but wouldn't surprise me if in his head that stuff's just noise.

doesn't seem like ppl saying he'd be foolish not to jump really understand the situation he's in.... not that i do either of course. and yea most kids with his hype and potential do jump. just depends who u are i guess.