PDA

View Full Version : Moving Article on Patrick Beverley's Road to the Houston Rockets and his Defense.

RightToCensor
03-26-2014, 07:18 PM
Talks about his background growing up in Chicago.

Pressure is all Patrick Beverley knew before finding a steady home with the Houston Rockets and becoming arguably the best hard-nosed backcourt defender in the NBA.

Pressure, as in trying to improve his social status while growing up in the rough west side of Chicago and attending what he referred to as the "worst high school in the area, which they called a mini prison."

Pressure to resist selling drugs in his neighborhood, where some of his cousins ended up in jail and a close cousin and friends died of gun violence.

Pressure to find a hoops job after being dismissed from the Arkansas basketball team in 2008 for cheating on his classwork, and waiting months for an overseas opportunity, unsure if he'd ever play again.

Getting cut by Miami.

Pressure to keep his NBA dream alive after being the last cut in Miami Heat training camp in 2009, which "killed" his confidence, thinking he wasn't good enough anymore.

And pressure to do everything he could to stick around the league after getting a call from the Rockets in January 2013. For Beverley, that meant only one thing: being an unrelenting gnat on the defensive end. That specialty enabled him to become the starting point guard this season on a team that needed a physical defensive spark.

Being informed by Chandler Parsons that he would be a starter. :cry:
[QUOTE]When teammate Chandler Parsons told Beverley the news on the final day of training camp that he would be the starter, he pulled over to the side of the road on his way home after practice and broke down in tears. It sunk in that he had finally made it, and he knew defense was a key catalyst.

"I think that some people call it a chip. Mine was more like a mountain," Beverley, 25, told Bleacher Report. "I just had so much aggression and so much built up and so much anger, especially because many other teams passed up on me. I just wanted to go out there and every single night just make it hard for the opponent to dribble the ball up the court

oarabbus
03-26-2014, 07:20 PM
tl;dr

inclinerator
03-26-2014, 07:21 PM
id say he's had it good compared to other nba players

RightToCensor
03-26-2014, 07:33 PM
Patrick Beverley also stated that he should win DPOY.

He might breakout like Rodman did when he first won it.

SilkkTheShocker
03-26-2014, 07:36 PM
One of my favorite players in the NBA.

:applause:

no pun intended
03-26-2014, 07:41 PM
Sucks that Lakers and Heat gave up on this kid.

RightToCensor
03-26-2014, 07:53 PM
He screwed himself up getting kicked out of college. I'm amazed he kept his dream going by staying committed to basketball by going overseas.

dabigbaws
03-26-2014, 07:59 PM
didnt read. **** patrick beverley

SilkkTheShocker
03-26-2014, 08:07 PM
didnt read. **** patrick beverley

Yea, you still mad he destroyed Westbrook's knee

ProfessorMurder
03-26-2014, 10:48 PM
Beverley is great.

Euroleague
03-27-2014, 06:55 PM
Praising Greek Defense (Euroleague will love this).
Quote:
"That way was defense. They really allow you to play overseas. They let you play through everything

RightToCensor
03-27-2014, 07:27 PM
I'd like to see more young players go from High School to Europe. Sometimes, the talent in the NCAA Level can vary until you make the tourney. When in Europe, you play against real men, some with NBA Experience, some with the desire to make the NBA.

smoovegittar
03-27-2014, 07:59 PM
I'd like to see more young players go from High School to Europe. Sometimes, the talent in the NCAA Level can vary until you make the tourney. When in Europe, you play against real men, some with NBA Experience, some with the desire to make the NBA.
...and they come back with scars in their foreheads from being hit with coins.

NoGunzJustSkillz
03-27-2014, 08:04 PM
he sounds like a real piece of sht..

YouGotServed
03-27-2014, 08:34 PM
tl;dr

Shhhhhh, LOF.

Quality thread, 5*'d, will read again. :applause:

The Magics
03-27-2014, 08:38 PM
Still a dirty player.

Haymaker
03-27-2014, 09:02 PM
As I said many times here, it's normal in Europe. No one plays defense in the NBA. In Europe it's just normal. Defense isn't even allowed in the NBA.

That I agree with. NBA has become soft, in europe there's more physicality.