PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Davis vs. KG at the same age

Andrew Wiggins
03-27-2014, 09:24 AM
AD - 22 points, 11 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 blocks, 1 steal per game. 52% FG and 79% FT

KG - 17 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 blocks, 1 steal. 49% FG and 74% FT

mind you, kg had a similar supporting cast and his teams consistently finished with terrible records. in fact, it took 4 seasons to get comparable numbers to what AD currently averages and those remained the same for most of his prime. the only area where KG has AD beat is passing. while AD doesn't have the same moves in the post, he's a better a shooter and uses his size more effectively.

when it's all said done, KG will be remembered as a poor man's Anthony Davis :applause:

raprap
03-27-2014, 09:31 AM
Anthony davis will be the best player in 3 years time crazy

atljonesbro
03-27-2014, 09:33 AM
Anthony Davis has GOAT PF potential for sure.

Andrew Wiggins
03-27-2014, 09:48 AM
Holy shit. poor man's? From just a overall tier standpoint, KG in his peak was as good as Duncan.

Saying he'll be a poor man's AD is practically saying Davis will be GOAT.

Stop it.

duncan came into the league as a winner and has been a model of consistency and winning basketball for his entire career.

kg in his prime was amazing but only made it deep into the playoffs once and declined rapidly as soon as he came to boston while duncan is still instrumental on a title contender.

davis may reach the level of tim duncan, so yes, it's not crazy to think he'll be in the conversation for goat pf

IGOTGAME
03-27-2014, 09:53 AM
duncan came into the league as a winner and has been a model of consistency and winning basketball for his entire career.

kg in his prime was amazing but only made it deep into the playoffs once and declined rapidly as soon as he came to boston while duncan is still instrumental on a title contender.

davis may reach the level of tim duncan, so yes, it's not crazy to think he'll be in the conversation for goat pf
Davis has shown nothing to even be put in the same sentence as Duncan at this point. KG is also overrated because he wasn't on the same level either. Duncan IMO is up there with Magic and Bird. AD isn't as good as rookie or sophomore Duncan. It's just a lot different how they create offense and the effect it has on the game...

atljonesbro
03-27-2014, 09:55 AM
Davis has shown nothing to even be put in the same sentence as Duncan at this point. KG is also overrated because he wasn't on the same level either. Duncan IMO is up there with Magic and Bird. AD isn't as good as rookie or sophomore Duncan. It's just a lot different how they create offense and the effect it has on the game...
His stats are nearly identical to 2nd year Duncan and he's 2 year's younger than 2nd year Duncan. He's definitely shown he has crazy potential so it's unfair to say he's shown nothing.

TheReturn
03-27-2014, 09:58 AM

Are we going to pretend like it's all Timmy and KG who decided their legacies or could things have been different had KG been drafted by the Spurs and Timmy by Minny?

Andrei89
03-27-2014, 10:08 AM
Are we going to pretend like it's all Timmy and KG who decided their legacies or could things have been different had KG been drafted by the Spurs and Timmy by Minny?

KG drafted by SA would have won a couple of rings as well no doubt.

Andrew Wiggins
03-27-2014, 10:16 AM

duncan's style was more conducive to winning basketball from the start.

he commanded double teams and controlled the offense from the post and also anchored elite defenses. he seamlessly shifted between pf and center without a drop off on either side of the floor. duncan can fit in every single offense with every type of player. the same couldn't and can't be said of kg

pick and roll is letter of the league much more these days than when duncan was a rookie and in his prime. post based offenses were more common and effective. ad's game is taylor made for pick and roll and pick & pop which dominates today's NBA

TheReturn
03-27-2014, 10:19 AM
duncan's style was more conducive to winning basketball from the start.

he commanded double teams and controlled the offense from the post and also anchored elite defenses. he seamlessly shifted between pf and center without a drop off on either side of the floor. duncan can fit in every single offense with every type of player. the same couldn't and can't be said of kg

pick and roll is letter of the league much more these days than when duncan was a rookie and in his prime. post based offenses were more common and effective. ad's game is taylor made for pick and roll and pick & pop which dominates today's NBA
That's cool and all, but having a good team around you your entire career and one of the greatetst coaches of all time surely helps as well.

Andrew Wiggins
03-27-2014, 10:24 AM
That's cool and all, but having a good team around you your entire career and one of the greatetst coaches of all time surely helps as well.

duncan is just as responsible for pop's greatness as pop is for duncan's.

duncan is a big reason those teams were great, he made a lot of the players around him better. a lot of those guys were average players before and after they left san antonio

BlackVVaves
03-27-2014, 10:47 AM
How was KG's game not as "conducive to winning basketball?" :biggums:

Andrew Wiggins
03-27-2014, 10:50 AM
learn how to read

i said MORE conducive, not that KG's style wasn't effective

duncan demanded far more defensive attention and double teams than KG did. despite having the skills to dominate in the post, kg settled for fadeaways and jumpers more often than not and it led to him being guarded with single coverage

CelticBaller
03-27-2014, 10:51 AM
How was KG's game not as "conducive to winning basketball?" :biggums:
Seriously, the guy did everything on the ****ing court

IGOTGAME
03-27-2014, 11:00 AM
His stats are nearly identical to 2nd year Duncan and he's 2 year's younger than 2nd year Duncan. He's definitely shown he has crazy potential so it's unfair to say he's shown nothing.
And if you watched Duncan play, you'd know it was never about stats. It was about impact, playing the pick and roll and primarily being a finisher is much different running an entire offense through you in the post and also having the ability to run the pick and roll. If you rely on pick and rolls like Davis does you might get numbers like Malone did but you are distorting the defense like a dominant big and aren't making you teammates better on the same level as Duncan.

2nd year Duncan would have that team in the playoffs.

Artillery
03-27-2014, 11:22 AM
That version of KG was still a better defender than current Davis.

TheReturn
03-27-2014, 11:29 AM
That version of KG was still a better defender than current Davis.
For some reason I feel like some posters here always try to put current/young players down when they are comparing them to retired/older players. I don't get that.

fpliii
03-27-2014, 11:34 AM
For some reason I feel like some posters here always try to put current/young players down when they are comparing them to retired/older players. I don't get that.
I don't think that's an issue at all. I do think that a lot of 90s players get overhyped on here though, but a lot of us started watching during the beginning of the decade, so there's a huge nostalgia factor.

2LeTTeRS
03-27-2014, 11:42 AM

Can't speak for all situations; but I think the reason here is that after we've seen a player in his prime we have a hard time imagining he didn't have that ability even in his youth. Seeing that KG at this point in his career spent an awful lot of time swinging between the 3 and the 4; whereas AD plays primarily as a big its hard to compare the 2 defensively.

Additionally the T-Wolves weren't really on national TV that much at that time, which makes it even harder to quantify how good Garnett was on D as a 2nd year player.

Carbine
03-27-2014, 11:44 AM

That's why stats don't show impact.

Kevin Love out there doing 26.3/12.6/4.3 on TS% almost as good as Jordan's best year. I doubt three other people have put up those numbers in the history of the league. He might be the only one.

Davis will be great, but his numbers won't dictate this. His impact will.

oarabbus
03-27-2014, 03:11 PM
That's why stats don't show impact.

Kevin Love out there doing 26.3/12.6/4.3 on TS% almost as good as Jordan's best year. I doubt three other people have put up those numbers in the history of the league. He might be the only one.

Davis will be great, but his numbers won't dictate this. His impact will.

:applause:

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
03-27-2014, 03:13 PM
KG b/c he could actually impact the defense of his team
New Orleans defense-27th
Wolves-15th

KG legit was an AllStar AD only made it b/c of injury to Kobe

rhowen4
03-27-2014, 03:17 PM
I don't think that's an issue at all. I do think that a lot of 90s players get overhyped on here though, but a lot of us started watching during the beginning of the decade, so there's a huge nostalgia factor.
are you saying you don't think nostalgia has that effect, or that the effect of nostalgia isn't significant?

BlackWhiteGreen
03-27-2014, 03:18 PM

Let's be real here, KG started declining because of the knee injury

fpliii
03-27-2014, 04:00 PM
are you saying you don't think nostalgia has that effect, or that the effect of nostalgia isn't significant?
I don't think it's nostalgia, more so agendas. Perhaps nostalgia is fueling said agendas, though.

There is a horrible pro-recency bias on this site as well that makes ISH unbearable at times, but I think the two groups are mutually exclusive on here.