PDA

View Full Version : Money deposited into account by mistake?

Brizzly
03-28-2014, 12:05 AM
Three weeks ago $6,500 was deposited into my grilfriends account, obviously we called and notified the bank, and it has all been taken care of.

We never got any explanation as to what went on and never thought about asking how/from who or maybe it was a bank mistake or any other question that you might have stored. But reflecting back we obviously did the right thing whatever that is.

But what is the consequences of spending those money? If they are deposited into your account are you obliged to ask the bank what just happened? Had we not called how long until they had noticed? Were I work they noticed instantly when they double payed someone at work, obviously it is not as big of a business as a bank but our place still has over 70 employees.

If one million was deposited into your bank would you return them or make ways to the C-man?:D

RoseCity07
03-28-2014, 12:22 AM
My mom told me 21,000,000 got put into her retirement or some account. It was corrected pretty fast though. Banks make mistakes but they will catch it. If you spend any of the money you go to jail.

Brizzly
03-28-2014, 12:24 AM
My mom told me 21,000,000 got put into her retirement or some account. It was corrected pretty fast though. Banks make mistakes but they will catch it. If you spend any of the money you go to jail.

Shit you serious? although 21,000,000 is a significant sum so not surprising they'd notice that.

Jail or do they tell you to start paying bank?

RoseCity07
03-28-2014, 01:19 AM
Shit you serious? although 21,000,000 is a significant sum so not surprising they'd notice that.

Jail or do they tell you to start paying bank?

Both I think. I researched it once and I'm pretty sure people went to jail over stuff like this. I think a few people got off because they pleaded ignorance. They still had to pay back money.

bluechox2
03-28-2014, 01:30 AM
bank of america by any chance?

NugzFan
03-28-2014, 01:42 AM
yeah, the money isnt yours and spending it is a crime.

Draz
03-28-2014, 03:15 PM
Maybe if it was a little amount you can get away but that's to much to not notice

DeuceWallaces
03-28-2014, 03:36 PM
Depending on your state, spending the money is considered theft.

russwest0
03-28-2014, 03:45 PM
I don't ever even check my bank account unless I'm going to make a huge purchase or something. If someone deposited that much in my account and I didn't realize and spent it I don't think I'd be arrested for it.

Although they'd probably get it taken care of before I spent it.

knickballer
03-28-2014, 03:46 PM
I don't think it's actually a crime. If I remember correctly you're under no obligation to return the $$ unless the person comes asking for it then it becomes a crime to spend it. Even if you spend the $$ you can say "IDK" and just repay the sum you spent.

niko
03-28-2014, 04:19 PM
I don't think it's actually a crime. If I remember correctly you're under no obligation to return the $$ unless the person comes asking for it then it becomes a crime to spend it. Even if you spend the $$ you can say "IDK" and just repay the sum you spent.
It depends what state. The person who said it's a crime in some states and not others is correct. It depends also on the amount, if it's an amount that clearly is not yours you can't claim ignorance.

You can google it, a bunch of articles will pop up with people being charged on this very things.

When i was in payroll we had a guy we paid 4X his normal check. He spent part of it and took like a week to put it back. The company threatened legal action and had ground to stand on according to the lawyes.

magic chiongson
03-28-2014, 04:47 PM
Georgia teen spends $31K mistakenly deposited into account, now bank wants it back

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/banks-mistakenly-deposits-31k-teen-account-spends-report-article-1.1737203

Shabba Ranks
03-28-2014, 05:39 PM
Just go ahead and spend it, I'd like to see ur dumb ass and fat girlfriend go to jail for a very long time. I hate stupid people.

Qwyjibo
03-28-2014, 05:48 PM
Banks in Canada have clauses in their agreements when you open accounts that if a credit/debit was made in error, they have a right to correct it. If you spend the money that wasn't yours, you owe it back. Really, that's how it should be. If you get mystery money that you weren't expecting, don't be stupid and spend it before finding out what it is.

It's A VC3!!!
03-28-2014, 10:16 PM
I work at a bank and as people have said, you will be required to pay the money back if you spend it. Without going into any detail, I know of it happening, but to a much smaller scale than the one OP is mentioning. Sadly, the teller that messed that transaction up got terminated one week after the mistake happened. Managers and back office have no toleration for avoidable mistakes like that.

Also, 92 quadrillion dollars got put into someones pay pal account by accident. That's what I don't understand. How can you put that money money into an account. That money had to come from somewhere. How can you just make $92Q out of thin air?
If you tell the computer system "credit this account with $92Q", shouldn't it say "funds not available within this galaxy"? I don't understand it.

CelticBaller
03-28-2014, 10:18 PM
I need to now if its legal in CT

Brizzly
03-28-2014, 11:09 PM
Just go ahead and spend it, I'd like to see ur dumb ass and fat girlfriend go to jail for a very long time. I hate stupid people.

She already lost all her baby fat.

And if you read the first paragraph you should now that we notified the bank instantly, I was jsut curious about the consequences of not doing it.

Draz
03-28-2014, 11:25 PM
I work at a bank and as people have said, you will be required to pay the money back if you spend it. Without going into any detail, I know of it happening, but to a much smaller scale than the one OP is mentioning. Sadly, the teller that messed that transaction up got terminated one week after the mistake happened. Managers and back office have no toleration for avoidable mistakes like that.

Also, 92 quadrillion dollars got put into someones pay pal account by accident. That's what I don't understand. How can you put that money money into an account. That money had to come from somewhere. How can you just make $92Q out of thin air?
If you tell the computer system "credit this account with $92Q", shouldn't it say "funds not available within this galaxy"? I don't understand it.
Didn't even know quadrillion was a word

NoGunzJustSkillz
03-28-2014, 11:39 PM

:lol

LA_Showtime
03-29-2014, 04:53 PM
I used to work at a bank. Unless the teller royally ****ed up, they will catch their error. The program that runs deposits checks for debit and credit balancing errors.

Let's say you have $50.00 in your account and then the bank accidentally gives you $100.00. You see the error, and go ahead and buy something for $125.00. Once that error is caught, they'll remove that $100.00 and you'll now be in the hole. Don't spend that money. You will get screwed over.

KevinNYC
03-31-2014, 03:20 PM
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/teen-gets-31-000-deposit-085000162.html

Overdrive
03-31-2014, 04:50 PM

After all it's a computer. It doesn't wonder what happened if you make an syntax error that doesn't conflict the software.

PHX_Phan
03-31-2014, 06:03 PM
Same thing happened to me. Found an extra $2,000 sitting in my account one time with nothing on my statement as to how it got there. Gave it a few days and eventually the balance went back to normal. They'll catch the mistake and any money you used will still be credited to your account.

Actually did score at an ATM once. Withdrew $60, ATM spit out two 20's and a 100 dollar bill. Checked my account and it only showed $60 withdrawn, so I pocketed it and left.

It's A VC3!!!
03-31-2014, 06:19 PM
After all it's a computer. It doesn't wonder what happened if you make an syntax error that doesn't conflict the software.

That is not what is being discussed whatsoever. When a human clicks "credit account by $92Q" it should know to not allow that transaction to go through. It's like if I go to a bank and I ask to withdraw $100m. The transaction won't go through due to me not having that amount of money. Same concept should be applied to the Paypal incident. I'm talking about the process of creating money out of thin air.