PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else here used to be a fan of Frasier?

MavsSuperFan
03-28-2014, 05:23 PM
I personally loved the show. But its very rare to meet others that enjoyed its brand of humor.

TMT
03-28-2014, 05:25 PM
I was a big Cheers and Frazier fan. Classic television. :cheers:

hateraid
03-28-2014, 05:26 PM
Every show I was a big fan of I never got into the spinoffs. Cheers was a staple of my high school years. I never got into Frasier

nightprowler10
03-28-2014, 05:28 PM
Yeah I used to watch it pretty regularly until Niles and Daphne hooked up. I think the show lost something after that. I heard the finale was pretty good.

secund2nun
03-28-2014, 05:32 PM
I like the show. It's unique.

Myth
03-28-2014, 05:36 PM
I was a fan. I actually ended up liking it more than Cheers. I always loved the episodes where they were hiding people. They had one about once per season, and yet it was hilarious every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RuOKGz_Z6U

FKAri
03-28-2014, 05:37 PM
Yup.

Akrazotile
03-28-2014, 05:40 PM
GOAT television show, OP is not worthy of calling himself a fan.

I'm serious.

Akrazotile
03-28-2014, 05:42 PM
I was a big Cheers and Frazier fan. Classic television. :cheers:

:facepalm

Shabba Ranks
03-28-2014, 05:43 PM
OP

http://i47.tinypic.com/2ce2h3p.jpg

MavsSuperFan
03-28-2014, 06:15 PM
GOAT television show, OP is not worthy of calling himself a fan.

I'm serious.
go make more than minimum wage. you can do it if you set your mind to it. you will be less bitter about life, and will stop feeling the need to make so many alts.

eliteballer
03-28-2014, 06:33 PM
Great show.

Akrazotile
03-28-2014, 06:37 PM
go make more than minimum wage. you can do it if you set your mind to it. you will be less bitter about life, and will stop feeling the need to make so many alts.

Spare me you ludicrous popinjay

MavsSuperFan
03-28-2014, 06:45 PM
Spare me you ludicrous popinjay
:biggums: you realize you're the one that follows me around on ISH right?

DeuceWallaces
03-28-2014, 06:57 PM
I personally loved the show. But its very rare to meet others that enjoyed its brand of humor.

:biggums:

Rare as in it's top 10 Nielson ratings and 15-20 million viewers or rare as in its 30+ Emmy wins?

DeuceWallaces
03-28-2014, 06:59 PM
Rare as in most people under 30 couldn't care less about it.

Most people under 30 couldn't care less about any show from 2000 and before.

Akrazotile
03-28-2014, 07:35 PM
OP is the Gil Chesterton of this board.

gigantes
03-28-2014, 10:35 PM
nice show. the high brow / blue-blood characters seemed plausible going by crowds i was sometimes around at operas / theatre / symphonies. but whatever... either way, frasier and niles were damn amusing... as were the simpsons crossover episodes.

so yea, witty and classy... i wouldn't mind seeing more shows that could pull that off outside the BBC. today's shows (outside maybe HBO or whatnot) seem more about extreme idiocy or extreme risk.

iamgine
03-28-2014, 10:46 PM
I watched every episode. It's quite entertaining with a different kind of humor. Liked it more than Cheers.

Swaggin916
03-28-2014, 11:15 PM
Absolutely loved it. Seinfeld, Frasier, and Friends were my favorite adult shows as a kid and Frasier and Friends continued on into my teen years. Frasier to me was the most lol funny of all of them... I always loved the dynamic between the Frasier, Niles, and Martin. I still watch reruns sometimes when they are on.

gigantes
03-29-2014, 12:34 AM
what with all this talk, i decided to watch the 'niles - daphne hooking up' 4-episode arc (S07E23 - S08E02).

so i'm just noticing that another pretty cool about the show was the underlying humanism and therapeutic aspect. i mean, there's not just a 'feel good' aspect about the show, like with many other shows, but subtle emotional and psychological problem-solving. sort of like oprah without all the spectacle and pomp.

and it's not just because those two were shrinks... because that could have been a completely throwaway aspect only used for cheap yucks. no... this show obviously had superb TV writing talent.

Akrazotile
03-29-2014, 12:39 AM
what with all this talk, i decided to watch the 'niles - daphne hooking up' 4-episode arc (S07E23 - S08E02).

so i'm just noticing that another pretty cool about the show was the underlying humanism and therapeutic aspect. i mean, there's not just a 'feel good' aspect about the show, like with many other shows, but subtle emotional and psychological problem-solving. sort of like oprah without all the spectacle and pomp.

and it's not just because those two were shrinks... because that could have been a completely throwaway aspect only used for cheap yucks. no... this show obviously had superb TV writing talent.

It is the most layered and well executed show in the history of shows. It is the kaballah of television, it is not for newbs. The average philistine does not deserve to partake in the enjoyment of Frasier.

gigantes
03-29-2014, 12:56 AM
It is the most layered and well executed show in the history of shows. It is the kaballah of television, it is not for newbs. The average philistine does not deserve to partake in the enjoyment of Frasier.
i would have to rate M*A*S*H as the absolute best series i've ever seen to this point... probably fawlty towers right behind.

no need to make it a competition, but M*A*S*H had wit, soul and pathos that not even frasier was permitted to reach. certainly not because of a lack of material or lack of acting / writing talent. moreso because you can only challenge an audience as much as they're able to take, and the era of the vietnam war and the post-60's was so far the peak of that opportunity in TV history.

anyway, i'm gladly willing to put frasier in the top ten, maybe even top five.

remember that some of the BBC stuff, HBO stuff and american miniseries were absolutely superb, so the competition in the top ten is ridiculously intense.

MavsSuperFan
03-29-2014, 01:04 AM
OP is the Gil Chesterton of this board.
man I am really in your head:lol

Absolutely loved it. Seinfeld, Frasier, and Friends were my favorite adult shows as a kid and Frasier and Friends continued on into my teen years. Frasier to me was the most lol funny of all of them... I always loved the dynamic between the Frasier, Niles, and Martin. I still watch reruns sometimes when they are on.
I liked friends as a kid, but anytime i catch a rerun I realize how bad it is nowadays.

MavsSuperFan
03-29-2014, 01:07 AM
:biggums:

Rare as in it's top 10 Nielson ratings and 15-20 million viewers or rare as in its 30+ Emmy wins?
Maybe its the people I associate with. A co-worker of mine likes the king of queens :facepalm

DeuceWallaces
03-29-2014, 01:08 AM
Maybe its the people I associate with. A co-worker of mine likes the king of queens :facepalm

They're probably 25 and an idiot.

Akrazotile
03-29-2014, 01:13 AM
i would have to rate M*A*S*H as the absolute best series i've ever seen to this point... probably fawlty towers right behind.

no need to make it a competition, but M*A*S*H had wit, soul and pathos that not even frasier was permitted to reach. certainly not because of a lack of material or lack of acting / writing talent. moreso because you can only challenge an audience as much as they're able to take, and the era of the vietnam war and the post-60's was so far the peak of that opportunity in TV history.

anyway, i'm gladly willing to put frasier in the top ten, maybe even top five.

remember that some of the BBC stuff, HBO stuff and american miniseries were absolutely superb, so the competition in the top ten is ridiculously intense.

I should have specified sitcom since thats really what I meant, and even more specifically relative to its own era. Ive heard a lot of great things about MASH but unfortunately it predates me so I cant really compare them. MASH is Bill Russell and Frasier is MJ, two legends that are difficult to compare across eras. Altho Fraiser would actually be most like Russell in terms of "rings" (awards).

But anyway, I just have a particular sort of bond with the show, it's been more important in my life than you would think a show would be to a person. So I am quick to champion it.

gigantes
03-29-2014, 01:58 AM
I should have specified sitcom since thats really what I meant, and even more specifically relative to its own era. Ive heard a lot of great things about MASH but unfortunately it predates me so I cant really compare them. MASH is Bill Russell and Frasier is MJ, two legends that are difficult to compare across eras. Altho Fraiser would actually be most like Russell in terms of "rings" (awards).

But anyway, I just have a particular sort of bond with the show, it's been more important in my life than you would think a show would be to a person. So I am quick to champion it.
yeap, understood.

M*A*S*H (and fawlty towers) was actually a bit before my time and initially sort of hard to get in to. btw, it was indeed a sitcom, although of the dramedy variety. they ran a laugh track at the time but in modern releases did remove it, thankfully. it simply doesn't need it.

MavsSuperFan
03-29-2014, 02:06 AM

Its a great show, I loved how the series could seamlessly transition between silly comedic bits, to heart warming family moments, to realistic/sad moments.

the evolution in relationships was great. Eg. niles and roz, Niles and Martin.

Lebron23
03-29-2014, 05:45 AM
I actually have a huge crush on Jane Leeves (Daphne Moon). I like the humor of this show.

gigantes
07-01-2016, 12:07 AM
I actually have a huge crush on Jane Leeves (Daphne Moon). I like the humor of this show.
i like how martin had an ACTUAL manchester accent and had to do an american accent for the show, while daphne had a LONDON accent, and was forced to do a simplified manchester accent for the show. :lol

anyway, i've been catching up with some shows, recently. good stuff, good stuff...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ2NV-zWMRo

Thorpesaurous
07-01-2016, 07:33 AM
I was a huge fan. It was a running show in syndication during my years in school. Syndication doesn't seem to be a thing anymore. I know it exists. But back before On Demand and streaming services and everything else that's available, Syndication was like a gladiator tournament of TV shows. Seinfeld and The Simpsons are as iconic as they are at least half in part due to their ability to be watched incessantly in syndication. And Frasier totally hung in there for a long time.

The uniqueness of Frasier and Niles' high brow characters, but their ability to stay relatable, is really a one of kind. Grounding them with their father, and dragging them through the mud with Roz were consistent comedic gimmicks that worked. Even the sexual tension element, which is in almost every show, worked in a unique way, because for so long it was so one sided, and Daphne didn't even know of Niles' interest. I think Niles is especially important, because just when Frasier seems too stuffy, Niles comes in to make Frasier seem like the everyman.

Really an excellent show.

gigantes
07-01-2016, 04:16 PM
^^ nice analysis, thorpesaurus. very nice. ^^

if there's one area where i find a weakness with frasier, it's in the sitcom-standard timing and method in which jokes are set up. it's almost like the writers are saying: "we'll pretend to bore you with (high brow) stuff and then fool you in to laughing every 10 - 15 second interval." you could almost set a metronome to this kind of sitcom dynamic.

by contrast, i think shows like M*A*S*H and early simpsons had more unpredictable timing and shades of humor. not to mention more creativity in finding it, and more subtle ways of working it in. i guess "organic" might be another word for it.

granted, very few shows can match that, but that's probably my one and only quibble with frasier.

HylianNightmare
07-01-2016, 11:54 PM
Loved it

bluechox2
07-02-2016, 12:06 AM
saw all of it