PDA

View Full Version : March Madness > NBA playoffs?

Brizzly
03-28-2014, 11:16 PM
True?

I personally prefer March Madness.

KrizMiz
03-28-2014, 11:16 PM
Welcome to basketball !

Brizzly
03-28-2014, 11:20 PM
The single elimination like football is what makes it even better. Playing to best out of seven takes out a lot of the excitement.

ABfor3
03-28-2014, 11:22 PM
I always admired their bracket format, the one game elimination really makes it exciting..but with the level of talent that is in the league it's only right to battle it out over a few games

Brizzly
03-28-2014, 11:30 PM
I always admired their bracket format, the one game elimination really makes it exciting..but with the level of talent that is in the league it's only right to battle it out over a few games

Yeah that is why the playoffs in college is better, every game is win or die.
Anyone watching the game? the college forum is dead.

NoGunzJustSkillz
03-28-2014, 11:32 PM
The single elimination like football is what makes it even better. Playing to best out of seven takes out a lot of the excitement.
nba teams should get together preseason and do something similar.

NoGunzJustSkillz
03-28-2014, 11:34 PM
i don't have a clue about college ball, but i'll watch. any potential lottery picks in this game?

Brizzly
03-28-2014, 11:37 PM
i don't have a clue about college ball, but i'll watch. any potential lottery picks in this game?

Watch Louisville vs kentucky.

Kentucky have Julius Randle, most likely going top 5. the Harrison bros also probably going first round next year, Willie Cauley Stein big athletic center and James Young probably early second round.

Brizzly
03-28-2014, 11:40 PM
They need to keep double Randle.

Johnny Jones
03-28-2014, 11:42 PM
Virginia :bowdown: :bowdown: That defense is crazy

The-Legend-24
03-28-2014, 11:46 PM
People actually watch College Basketball? :oldlol:

NoGunzJustSkillz
03-28-2014, 11:47 PM
People actually watch College Basketball? :oldlol:
lolwat? not even sure if serious?

Brizzly
03-28-2014, 11:47 PM
Virginia :bowdown: :bowdown: That defense is crazy

Michigan st should really win against VA.

toooo
03-28-2014, 11:48 PM

That explains a lot.

NBA anything > College ball

Wavves
03-28-2014, 11:50 PM
Watch Louisville vs kentucky.

Kentucky have Julius Randle, most likely going top 5. the Harrison bros also probably going first round next year, Willie Cauley Stein big athletic center and James Young probably early second round.

gtfo

Brizzly
03-28-2014, 11:57 PM
DAKARI ****ING JOHNSON. he is playing BIG.

gtfo

Where do you think he will go?

InfiniteBaskets
03-29-2014, 12:02 AM
Competitive March Madness > NBA pre-season and meaningless regular season games.

The level of play in the NBA is obviously higher, but many college athletes are likely playing at the highest level they'll ever play for the rest of their lives and putting everything they have in one game. I can appreciate a competitive game.

Wavves
03-29-2014, 12:04 AM
DAKARI ****ING JOHNSON. he is playing BIG.

Where do you think he will go?
Don't see him dropping past 20 really. Easily the 2nd best SG after Gary Harris

Good size, quick release. I really like him

Brizzly
03-29-2014, 12:11 AM
game tied at 66 2 mins left, this what makes MM so ****ing exciting.

JellyBean
03-29-2014, 12:27 AM
I prefer the NBA format over March Madness. At least in the NBA if you lose a game because of terrible officials calling the game, you know you have a chance, unless it is game 7, to get a make up call the next game. In college, especially during the tournament, if a ref blows a call and your season ends because of that crappy call, you are done until next year. All kinds of things can happen before next season when dealing with college. That one game in college can impact you forever.

AnaheimLakers24
03-29-2014, 12:28 AM
boring as hell but I'll watch some games

LAZERUSS
03-29-2014, 12:34 AM
College basketball, in the 60's thru 70's, and to a lessor degree, even into the early 80's, was at it's peak.

For the vast majority, players played thru their senior seasons. And there were times when the top basketball players in the world, were playing in college. Kareem (Alcindor) was probably already a Top-5 NBA center by his soph season at UCLA. Players like Elvin Hayes, Wes Unseld, and Pistol Pete were among the best players, at any level, by their junior and senior seasons in college (just look at Hayes and Unseld's NBA rookie seasons.)

And for much of the 60's and 70's, a team had to win their conference just to get to the NCAA tournament. Just look at the '71 USC Trojans as an example...they went 24-2, and didn't qualify for the tourney (both of their losses came against the Bruins.) There were no 6th place conference teams, and barely above .500, winning it all.

Now, the best players at the college level are generally the "one-and-done" freshmen. Not only that, because of that, the level of competition in college is probably the worst it has even been. We simply don't know just how good the better players are now, simply because we don't know how good their competition really is.

Gone are the days of the UCLA-Houston, and UCLA-NC St. tournament matchups.

Railgun
03-29-2014, 12:36 AM
College basketball, in the 60's thru 70's, and to a lessor degree, even into the early 80's, was at it's peak.

For the vast majority, players played thru their senior seasons. And there were times when the top basketball players in the world, were playing in college. Kareem (Alcindor) was probably already a Top-5 NBA center by his soph season at UCLA. Players like Elvin Hayes, Wes Unseld, and Pistol Pete were among the best players, at any level, by their junior and senior seasons in college (just look at Hayes and Unseld's NBA rookie seasons.)

And for much of the 60's and 70's, a team had to win their conference just to get to the NCAA tournament. Just look at the '71 USC Trojans as an example...they went 24-2, and didn't qualify for the tourney (both of their losses came against the Bruins.) There were no 6th place conference teams, and barely above .500, winning it all.

Now, the best players at the college level are generally the "one-and-done" freshmen. Not only that, because of that, the level of competition in college is probably the worst it has even been. We simply don't know just how good the better players are now, simply because we don't know how good their competition really is.

Gone are the days of the UCLA-Houston, and UCLA-NC St. tournament matchups.
You basically just admitted the NBA was weak in the 60's :lol
Top players in college :roll:

LAZERUSS
03-29-2014, 12:41 AM
You basically just admitted the NBA was weak in the 60's :lol
Top players in college :roll:

How so? Again, some of the best players in the entire world, were playing in COLLEGE. So what? I didn't say college teams were better than pro teams. How good was Chamberlain in college? He didn't even hang around for his senior season (instead he had to wait, so he played with the Globetrotters), and in his very first NBA game... 43 points, 28 rebounds, and 17 blocked shots. He never looked back. But still, so what?

How about MJ in his junior season? Do you not believe that he was already one of the best players in the world? Same with Hakeem? Or Magic? I could go thru the decade of the 70's and 80's and come up with a ton of other examples.

joe
03-29-2014, 06:12 AM
NBA playoffs > March madness. The NBA playoffs is like watching history unfold before your eyes. There's the high stakes of Lebron going for a third title, Duncan going for a fifth. The philosophical battle between going small or playing big. The adjustments from game to game, and the adjustments to the adjustments. The greatest players in the world competing to see who is the best of the best. It's amazingly compelling.

rhowen4
03-29-2014, 06:25 AM
F u c k n o. There is nothing more exciting than the nba playoffs. I don't like single elimination either because it isn't as nuanced as a series and an inferior team is more likely to advance. Who talks about college championship games in as much detail as an nba finals game? None people.

OmniStrife
03-29-2014, 01:39 PM
NBA >>>> amateur bball

inclinerator
03-29-2014, 02:01 PM
coollege bbal fukin sucks

tomtucker
03-29-2014, 02:02 PM

no, it makes sure the best team wins

LAZERUSS
03-29-2014, 02:06 PM
I guess there are differing opinions, but personally, I would rather have a TRUE champion, than a LUCKY one.

Example: In the first game of the '85 Finals, the Celtics just murdered LA (148-114.) Had the champion been decided by that one game, the Lakers would not have been given an opportunity to come back and win four of the next five games, including a 137-111 win back in LA, and a solid win in Boston in the title-clinching win.

I seriously doubt Villanova would have beaten Georgetown in an another game had the two played a best-of-seven in '85.

Milbuck
03-29-2014, 02:16 PM
My Badgers are doing some serious work. I think we have a shot of taking out Arizona, but realistically we're probably done.

EnoughSaid
03-29-2014, 02:20 PM
The reason this tourney is even considered a "madness" is because of all the upsets, and that's what makes it great. You have to play your best game or you're out. If Duke and Mercer went 5 or even 3 games, Duke would win 9 times out of 10. But that one game, Mercer played better and got a deserved win.

I love this tourney. It's great every year and doesn't depend on star power or great teams to make it exciting.

ArbitraryWater
03-29-2014, 02:22 PM
Not close.

March NBA > March Madness. Couldnt care less :confusedshrug:

Not polished enough for my taste

ImKobe
03-29-2014, 02:59 PM
March Madness has never been that big to me. I enjoy watching it because of the upsets & the top NBA prospects, but I prefer the NBA Playoffs a lot more. Sure, there aren't that many upsets on the NBA level because one team needs to win 4 games & even if the underdogs steal a game or two, the top team usually prevails, but nothing comes close to witnessing the Lakers three-peat from 00-02 or Kobe winning b2b.

And nothing in the NCAA will ever come close to the 2013 Finals. Witnessing that epic Spurs collapse was one of the craziest moments in the history of sports.

SamuraiSWISH
03-29-2014, 03:00 PM
Meh, it isn't as exciting in regards to the possibility of win or go home. But it ensures better quality of product because the BEST team always win, and never gets lucky. I prefer quality.

ImKobe
03-29-2014, 03:01 PM
Not close.

March NBA > March Madness. Couldnt care less :confusedshrug:

Not polished enough for my taste

I guess that's why I was never that drawn into College hoops. The talent level is just not that great. The pace is quite slow & the NCAA refs are even worse than the NBA refs.

LONGTIME
03-29-2014, 03:05 PM
Meh, it isn't as exciting in regards to the possibility of win or go home. But it ensures better quality of product because the BEST team always win, and never gets lucky. I prefer quality.

:oldlol: bullshit.