PDA

View Full Version : Isn't it weird that Spurs are the best team in the league?

tgan3
03-31-2014, 10:20 PM
They are a bunch of international players/role players and aging stars....On paper they cannot compare with other younger "superstars-loaded" team, but they are.

Look at the MVP ladder: (With Duncan in it at 7th)
http://www.nba.sg/mvp-ladder/

Lets look at their "big 3":
Their best player Duncan is ranked 7th, with 6 better players then him.
Ginobili isn't even top 10 shooting guard in the league right now.
Parker is constantly rated below guys like CP3, Curry, Westbrook, Lilard, Dragic

Their rest of the players like Kawhi Leonard, Tiago Splitter and Danny Green are considered "role players" or serviceable scrubs.

To think of it...
Are they just underrated?
Or do they proof that teamwork/coaching is >>> star power?

Bibby4Three
03-31-2014, 10:22 PM
Coaching.

Popovich GOAT.

Connor B
Jesus Christ can we please ban anyone who makes a thread about the Spurs

IncarceratedBob
I wouldnt call them the best team seeing as they choked in June

They are however the team with the best record :-)

Andrei89
03-31-2014, 10:23 PM
Look at Florida this NCAA season.

They are a proper TEAM, who only care about the team and nothing else.

Miami, although filled with star power, lost in 2011 because they played based on star power. They learned from that and in their last 2 championships they played as a team

Spurs is an example of a proper team with a great coach. Duncan would sacrifice his stats and his minutes, if that meant helping the team and resting.

Nothing but admiration for the Spurs and Popovich from me.

westsideozzie
03-31-2014, 10:33 PM
The thing that people fail to realize is that they are a TEAM of superior passers. Diaw is a great passer for a big, Splitter and Duncan are great passers for big guys, and we have not even talked about Parker and Ginobli. That is what makes them good.

DonDadda59
03-31-2014, 10:46 PM
Weak era, bro.

But seriously though, people get caught up in athleticism and flash and think that equals better basketball. The Spurs are the antithesis to that flawed idea. Basketball IQ + fundamentals can overcome age, lack of athleticism, etc.

no pun intended
03-31-2014, 10:47 PM
The Overlord.

http://i.imgur.com/qxgtXZf.png

JohnFreeman
03-31-2014, 10:47 PM
Spurs basketball is beautiful too watch. I actually wouldn't mind Cousins playing for Pop

Euroleague
03-31-2014, 10:48 PM
The NBA is a POS joke league. Like I have been saying here over and over.

Maybe some of you clowns are finally starting to see the light.

JohnFreeman
03-31-2014, 10:49 PM
The NBA is a POS joke league. Like I have been saying here over and over.

Maybe some of you clowns are finally starting to see the light.
reported

navy
03-31-2014, 10:51 PM
Miami, although filled with star power, lost in 2011 because they played based on star power.
To be fair, they lost because of an all time star choke job. The reality is that flawed terribly coached and no depth team was well on their way to winning it all because they had 2 and a half superstars.

k0kakw0rld
03-31-2014, 10:54 PM
They are a bunch of international players/role players and aging stars....On paper they cannot compare with other younger "superstars-loaded" team, but they are.

Parker is constantly rated below guys like CP3, Curry, Westbrook, Lilard, Dragic

Their rest of the players like Kawhi Leonard, Tiago Splitter and Danny Green are considered "role players" or serviceable scrubs.

To think of it...

He's better than all of them except maybe Curry :pimp:

Kawhi is the best 1 on 1 defender in this league.\

Plat
03-31-2014, 11:00 PM
They do this literally every year.

ninephive
03-31-2014, 11:43 PM
They have consistently lost to teams with starpower in the past 6 years.

Stoudemire and Nash, KD-Harden-Westbrook, LeBron-Wade-Bosh, Kobe-Gasol.

So let's hold off on that
Every team has lost to other teams with stars in those 6 years:

Stoudemire and Nash - Lost to Spurs multiple times in that 6-year span along with several other teams.
KD-Harden-Westbrook - Lost to Heat, Dallas, LA
Lebron-Wade-Bosh - Lost to Mavs (haven't even existed for those 6 years)
Kobe-Gasol - Lost to Thunder, Mavs, Celtics

Every team consistently loses to other teams with stars. Otherwise, all these teams would be winning championships every year.

tomtucker
04-01-2014, 03:16 AM
other teams don

rmt
04-01-2014, 03:37 AM
The thing that people fail to realize is that they are a TEAM of superior passers. Diaw is a great passer for a big, Splitter and Duncan are great passers for big guys, and we have not even talked about Parker and Ginobli. That is what makes them good.

Bellinelli too - at least, he's a much better passer than Neal. Even Mills and Baynes have that connection between them. Leonard and Green, on the other hand, should never handle the ball :oldlol:

Nuff Said
04-01-2014, 11:03 AM

Going by your criteria of "choking" in June then how exactly would you rank all of the other teams that didn't even make it to the finals?

ralph_i_el
04-01-2014, 12:07 PM
If you take the most open 3's you win at basketball.

It's that easy.

DMAVS41
04-01-2014, 12:14 PM
I find this Spurs team to be the best version of the Spurs since the 08 season (when they were healthy...Manu was hobbled in the playoffs)

I hope they win the title, but I still worry about them running up against the Thunder or Heat in the playoffs.

I still hold to the superstar rule in the playoffs.

Well rounded and deep teams like the Spurs are better built for regular season success rather than winning a title.

You look back at the history of the NBA and teams that normally win titles.

Almost all of them have a true superstar...top 5 type player in the league.
Almost all of them have a great 2nd best player that is a top 15 or better type player in the league.

It's not random to me that last year the Spurs had their best run since 07. Why? Because Duncan was back to being an elite force in the league...and Parker was definitely a great 2nd guy. Or vice versa depending on how one ranks them.

But they came up short because the team they faced truly did have that superstar in his prime/peak.

Parker/Duncan this year are still great...and I really like the improvement of the team with Belly/Mills. Also think Splitter and Leonard have improved.

I would still slightly favor a healthy Thunder and Heat team over the Spurs in the playoffs...

r0drig0lac
04-01-2014, 03:24 PM
tim and its leadership

Anaximandro1
04-01-2014, 04:37 PM
weird?

Spurs are blessed with everything you need: good defenders, rebounders, solid shooters, low post scorers, solid passers, experience, high basketball IQ, leadership, professionalism...

The lack of a true superstar is their only weakness.

It can be a problem in the playoffs against OKC/Heat, but that doesn't matter during the regular season.

Smoke117
04-01-2014, 05:03 PM
They have the best record...that doesn't equate to best team in the league.

Nuff Said
04-01-2014, 06:52 PM

Damn bitch are you going to respond?

Upgrayedd
04-01-2014, 09:45 PM
Why is it weird?

They have the best coach in the league and probably the second best coach in NBA history next to Phil Jackson.

They have a Hall of Fame Power Forward in Tim Duncan who is still playing at a high level.

They have Manu Ginobili who when healthy is one of the best 2 guards in the league.

They have Tony Parker who is one of the best point guards in the league.

They have Leonard who has so much potential and he's only in his third season. This guy is going to be one of the top SF's in the league. They have Danny Green, Belinelli, Splitter, Diaw, Mills, Joseph, Daye, Bonner, Ayres, Baynes. Tons of good role players who fit well with the star players on the team.

I don't know what's so weird about it. :confusedshrug:

billybadass
04-02-2014, 03:53 AM
We been the best since 99.

toxicxr6
04-02-2014, 04:29 AM
Why is it weird?

They have the best coach in the league and probably the second best coach in NBA history next to Phil Jackson.

They have a Hall of Fame Power Forward in Tim Duncan who is still playing at a high level.

They have Manu Ginobili who when healthy is one of the best 2 guards in the league.

They have Tony Parker who is one of the best point guards in the league.

They have Leonard who has so much potential and he's only in his third season. This guy is going to be one of the top SF's in the league. They have Danny Green, Belinelli, Splitter, Diaw, Mills, Joseph, Daye, Bonner, Ayres, Baynes. Tons of good role players who fit well with the star players on the team.

I don't know what's so weird about it. :confusedshrug:

Parker is old.. Gino is very old.. Duncan is ancient

Green... Mills... Diaw.. Daye... Were all either cut by other teams or bench warmers..

Leonard is young..

Splitter..Joseph...ayers... Baynes.. Would they even be in the NBA with the help of SA

Bonner is shit

Marco is a good role player

Best record in the NBA and unbeatable through March :wtf:

ImKobe
04-02-2014, 05:55 AM
Spurs are just very consistent as a team & they have the best chemistry in the league. Everyone knows what they're doing & every player plays their role to near perfection, which is why they are at the top of the league every year.

Problem is that they haven't been so lucky in the POs. Injuries have ruined a couple of their Playoff runs, even last year with Parker basically playing on one leg due to his hamstring injury & Manu throwing ridiculous passes to give the Heat extra opportunities on the fast break, Duncan missing the easiest layup attempt of his life, Ray Allen making one of the hardest three-pointers I've ever seen anyone attempt...

I think this year they could surely win it all, they actually look better than they did last year as far as depth goes & with Miami not being as good.

OKC & Houston however have a great shot at knocking the Spurs out with their young, athletic rosters.

YouGotServed
04-02-2014, 05:59 AM
Not really. I like them and think they're a decent team. Shame they have to face Houston in the 2nd round.

T_L_P
04-02-2014, 06:28 AM
Not really. I like them and think they're a decent team. Shame they have to face Houston in the 2nd round.

:oldlol: at them being a decent team. Even if you think they'll get beaten by OKC or Houston, they're unanimously a top 3 team in the league.

toxicxr6
04-02-2014, 07:00 AM

Looking forward to raping Houston and not seeing this guy for 4 months

Big#50
04-02-2014, 07:04 AM
I find this Spurs team to be the best version of the Spurs since the 08 season (when they were healthy...Manu was hobbled in the playoffs)

I hope they win the title, but I still worry about them running up against the Thunder or Heat in the playoffs.

I still hold to the superstar rule in the playoffs.

Well rounded and deep teams like the Spurs are better built for regular season success rather than winning a title.

You look back at the history of the NBA and teams that normally win titles.

Almost all of them have a true superstar...top 5 type player in the league.
Almost all of them have a great 2nd best player that is a top 15 or better type player in the league.

It's not random to me that last year the Spurs had their best run since 07. Why? Because Duncan was back to being an elite force in the league...and Parker was definitely a great 2nd guy. Or vice versa depending on how one ranks them.

But they came up short because the team they faced truly did have that superstar in his prime/peak.

Parker/Duncan this year are still great...and I really like the improvement of the team with Belly/Mills. Also think Splitter and Leonard have improved.

I would still slightly favor a healthy Thunder and Heat team over the Spurs in the playoffs...
OKC has their number. The Heat not so much. Spurs are flat out better this season. Losing Miller is going to hurt The Heat against OKC or San Antonio.

WWRWestbrookDo?
04-02-2014, 12:38 PM

To think of it...

How is it weird? They play the RIGHT way. They maximize the potential so of course they will always be one of the best teams. however, when it comes playoff time "athletes" and superstars take over.

Not a knock on San Antonio or anything and they do have Lebron's kryptonite (Kawhi) but I just feel like they won't make it back to the finals.

call it a hunch.

YouGotServed
04-02-2014, 01:18 PM
Looking forward to raping Houston and not seeing this guy for 4 months

3-0

SCdac
04-02-2014, 01:54 PM
45.4 points and 11.1 assists off the bench... best in the league in both categories :applause:

I agree team-record in actuality means little, and it'll all come down to how the Big 3 play, but damn Spurs are deep and playing well.

tpols
04-02-2014, 01:58 PM
OKC has their number. The Heat not so much. Spurs are flat out better this season. Losing Miller is going to hurt The Heat against OKC or San Antonio.

They still have battier and allen

T_L_P
04-02-2014, 02:14 PM
http://i.imgur.com/2EmpIAX.gif

MavsPoke
04-02-2014, 03:11 PM
The Overlord.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Mr. Jabbar
04-02-2014, 03:15 PM
Coaching and years together. I would have liked to watch Duncan outside the Mr. Popo system.

T_L_P
04-02-2014, 03:17 PM
Coaching and years together. I would have liked to watch Duncan outside the Mr. Popo system.

Shot?

J Shuttlesworth
04-02-2014, 03:18 PM
That is such a well made gif :lol

Mr. Jabbar
04-02-2014, 03:20 PM
Shot?

Not entirely, he is a great player by his own merits, precisely why I would have wanted to watch a diff scenario too

3LiftHeatCurse
04-02-2014, 05:31 PM
Regular season success does not = best team. Spurs are not the best team in the league.

You have 2 questions here :

1) Who is the best REGULAR season team?

2) Who is the best PLAYOFF team?

If you think the best regular season team is the best team, then why even have a playoffs?

A team can be the best regular season team, and still not be the best playoff team, and they fail to win the championship. We have many examples of this.

A team can be the best playoff team and win a championship, but not be the best regular season team. We have seen many examples of this.

So which is better? The playoff team. That's what championships say.

So, until the Miami Heat are dethroned..... the Miami Heat are the best team in the L.

moe94
04-02-2014, 05:33 PM
That is such a well made gif :lol

Someone put effort into it. The hand getting in the way of Diaw's face would be a bitch to make.

DonDadda59
04-02-2014, 05:35 PM

Holy shit that's brilliant :oldlol: :applause:

oarabbus
04-02-2014, 07:01 PM
The Overlord.

GOAT coach :bowdown: