PDA

View Full Version : LeBron James vs Kevin Durant thread

Connor B
04-01-2014, 06:50 PM
How many times have we heard Lebron fans/stans say this:

"Lebron is still the best player in the league, but KD is the MVP this year."

This is such a bs thing to say. Its like you think that as long as you agree KD is the MVP, if you concede that fact, then everyone will think you are like rational or humble or something and agree with you.

What?

Come on, let's actually be rational about this.

- KD has led his team to a better record in a much harder conference with his fellow ONE all-star missing for large parts of the season

- KD has improved his defense this year while Lebron has arguably not been as good as he was last year

- KD is a more efficient (and higher) scorer from the mid-range & 3

- While Lebron is arguably a better passer, KD has improved his assisting abilities significantly this year (and raised his number per game)

- KD's stats in general are better, including PER:
-- Lebron: 26.7 PPG, 6.5 APG, 6.9 RPG, 29.18 PER
-- KD: 32.2 PPG, 5.7 APG, 7.5 RPG, 30.88 PER

So how, Lebron fans, are you gonna tell me Lebron is CURRENTLY better? A year ago he was, in the playoffs he has been, whatever, but right now at this moment? KD is not only the MVP, he is the best player in the world, and that probably will not change until we see what happens in the playoffs.

russwest0
04-01-2014, 06:51 PM
I mean, does anyone really think LeBron is going to improve next year and Durant is going to regress? Anyone who believes such is a moron.

Everyone reasonable believes that Durant is the best player in the world at the moment. I wouldn't bother responding to anyone who says otherwise.

aburre21
04-01-2014, 06:53 PM
KD has played better than Bron this year, no doubt about it. He's been the better player this year. When I say Lebron is still the best player in the league, I mean LeBron at his best is better than KD at his best. It's not a slight against KD, stop being so sensitive.

Marv_Albert
04-01-2014, 06:53 PM
I mean, does anyone really think LeBron is going to improve next year and Durant is going to regress? Anyone who believes such is a moron.

Everyone reasonable believes that Durant is the best player in the world at the moment. I wouldn't bother responding to anyone who says otherwise.

Lebron > Durant Passing, defense, fg%, rebounds, steals, blocks, overall IQ etc.

Durant > Lebron scoring

How you gonna tell me he is better than him??? :biggums:

Le Shaqtus
04-01-2014, 06:54 PM
inb4 livinglegend says "championship or bust"

Kblaze8855
04-01-2014, 06:55 PM
Arguably a better passer?

Seems to be a bit of begrudgingly stating the obvious for purposes of credibility. Early in that post it kinda seemed you were against such things.

aburre21
04-01-2014, 06:55 PM
You seen what Bron did to him in OKC right? Bron is the GOAT when he's on. No doubt about it in my eyes.

Human Error
04-01-2014, 06:56 PM
I am a Heat fan and I do not think Durant has been better this season. Watching Lebron play has sometimes been frustrating during this season as he was not being able to take over games when he should have. Lebron reported to the camp out of shape after long holidays so it was expected to some point. Hope he regains his composure next season.

russwest0
04-01-2014, 06:57 PM
Durant takes 11 less passes to average 1 less assist than LeBron. He doesn't have as good of a supporting cast for getting assists, either.

Joyner82reload
04-01-2014, 06:57 PM
Because ultimately the playoffs matter at the end. If Durant wins the title, he will become the best player in the league. If LeBron wins the title, he reclaims the title of best player in the league. If neither wins the title, the player who had the better playoffs will be perceived as best player in the league.

Albeit if Durant has a monster playoff run and his team comes up short, he can still be considered the best in the league as long as he is not at fault for their loss. I.e. losing in 7 while averaging 35/7/5 on elite efficiency

Durant has essentially hit the same wall with LeBron that LeBron hit with Kobe in 2009. There is 1 hurdle left for him, to win a championship. At that point he will unanimously be the best player in the world.

russwest0
04-01-2014, 06:59 PM
Lebron > Durant Passing, defense, fg%, rebounds, steals, blocks, overall IQ etc

Is this a troll post? LeBron has never averaged more blocks than Durant. Isn't a more efficient scorer than Durant, has arguably been the worse passer this season, and hasn't been rebounding better either.

Kblaze8855
04-01-2014, 07:04 PM
Durant takes 11 less passes to average 1 less assist than LeBron. He doesn't have as good of a supporting cast for getting assists, either.

Good lord...we are getting into assist generating efficiency now?

Kblaze8855
04-01-2014, 07:05 PM
If neither wins the title, the player who had the better playoffs will be perceived as best player in the league.

Nah.

If the Spurs, rockets, Pacers, Blazers, or Clippers win nobody on any of those teams is gonna be ranked over Lebron or Durant.

If one of them wins he will get the spot from most....but nobody else can take it.

red1
04-01-2014, 07:06 PM
You are overanalyzing. No amount of statistical analysis can convince me that durant is the better passer. Its just not representative of reality.

russwest0
04-01-2014, 07:07 PM

Absolutely. LeBron dominates the ball 33% more than Durant and gets just one more assist.

Being an elite player and able to work off ball and maintain elite productivity is a huge asset.

red1
04-01-2014, 07:08 PM
To the OP I dont think anyone disputes that durant is having the better season. That doesn't make him the better player though. We'll see how they do in just a few short weeks

russwest0
04-01-2014, 07:09 PM
You are overanalyzing. No amount of statistical analysis can convince me that durant is the better passer. Its just not representative of reality.

If you were a team scout paid to watch the 80 games each play in a season, I might care about your opinion in regards to which is better from watching, but since you aren't and probably haven't closely followed either (watched the bulk of their games) this season, there are no basis to your claims. Just generalizations being thrown around.

Warfan
04-01-2014, 07:13 PM
Nah.

If the Spurs, rockets, Pacers, Blazers, or Clippers win nobody on any of those teams is gonna be ranked over Lebron or Durant.

If one of them wins he will get the spot from most....but nobody else can take it.

Not sure if i misread but i think he was just saying that if the heat or thunder dont win then whoever had the better playoffs between kd and lbj will be seen as the best player.

red1
04-01-2014, 07:14 PM
If you were a team scout paid to watch the 80 games each play in a season, I might care about your opinion in regards to which is better from watching, but since you aren't and probably haven't closely followed either (watched the bulk of their games) this season, there are no basis to your claims. Just generalizations being thrown around.
The point stands. Stop obsessing over stats bro. Its one thing to focus on the crucial stats but shit like passing efficiency is just too much. Whats next you going to calculate durants bone to skin ratio to prove that he is the GOAT? It's a slippery slope down espn-lane

ArbitraryWater
04-01-2014, 07:15 PM

lmfao this... they crazy. never heard of it before joyner brought it up weeks back

Kblaze8855
04-01-2014, 07:17 PM
Not sure if i misread but i think he was just saying that if the heat or thunder dont win then whoever had the better playoffs between kd and lbj will be seen as the best player.

On second look probably so.

I was just briefly amused at the prospect of seeing LMA ranked #1. Though I guess like 45 people did it when Dirk won. It went away pretty quickly.

HOoopCityJones
04-01-2014, 07:17 PM
To the OP I dont think anyone disputes that durant is having the better season. That doesn't make him the better player though. We'll see how they do in just a few short weeks

So stats don't matter unless they prop up Lebron?

red1
04-01-2014, 07:18 PM
So stats don't matter unless they prop up Lebron?
what? take your insecurities elsewhere

russwest0
04-01-2014, 07:20 PM
These niqqas cant see the relevance in ball dominating/passing efficiency stats yet want us to care about their generalized opinion on each player :roll: :roll: :roll:

Joyner82reload
04-01-2014, 07:21 PM
Nah.

I meant the player(LeBron or Durant) that had the better playoffs would be considered the best in the league. Obviously nobody else is even in the same atmosphere as those 2.

red1
04-01-2014, 07:22 PM
These niqqas cant see the relevance in ball dominating/passing efficiency stats yet want us to care about their generalized opinion on each player :roll: :roll: :roll:
Im sure you know where I am coming from. TS% and PER are great. Passing efficiency? Not so much

Kblaze8855
04-01-2014, 07:26 PM
Id like to see a number on John Stocktons ball posession to assist ratio. I wonder if it would be higher than Joakim Noahs. If you have the ball all game...get 11-12 assists...other guy has it briefly every other posession but gets 4....

I bet there is some center who would have a pass to assist ratio that was absurd. Shaq for one.

navy
04-01-2014, 07:26 PM
I dont know if you watch bballbreakdown, but The Heat run their offense where they pass the ball back and forth to each other without an intent loads of times.Coach Nick complains about it all the time. It doesnt mean shit. They just do that.

game3524
04-01-2014, 07:28 PM
When Durant is officially named MVP, that is when people say he has surpassed Lebron and we are seeing a changing of the guard. Same thing happen to Kobe in 2009 when Lebron won his first MVP.

Dictator
04-01-2014, 07:45 PM
KD is a better passer(this year) but he doesn't have a cast like Lebron. No more 1a 1b, it's definitely:

1.Durant
2.Lebron

Durant is a step ahead of Lebron this year.

BlackVVaves
04-01-2014, 07:53 PM

:facepalm

rlsmooth775
04-01-2014, 08:01 PM
Why does durant get outplayed by someone he's supposedly better than most of the time

The-Legend-24
04-01-2014, 08:02 PM
KD's been better since 2012. :confusedshrug:

russwest0
04-01-2014, 08:03 PM
KD's been better since 2012. :confusedshrug:

Gregg Popovich agrees.

Marlo_Stanfield
04-01-2014, 08:07 PM
Lebron > Durant Passing, defense, fg%, rebounds, steals, blocks, overall IQ etc.

Durant > Lebron scoring

How you gonna tell me he is better than him??? :biggums:
this.
and whoever thought lebron didnt coast for many games this year as well as having issues with his role when Wade jumped in and out of the linups and suddenly took more shots than Bron is delusional.
that being said even if lebron didnt coast and Wade had a consistent smaller role Durant would still have had a better scoring season but not by much.
LeBron is better in EVERYTHING but scoring than Durant and at his best hes even a better scorer.
thats not a knock on Durant who, with some help of the refs, has one of the greatest scoring seasons ever.
no shame that he isnt as good as the GOAT tho:coleman:

Heavincent
04-01-2014, 08:20 PM
this.
and whoever thought lebron didnt coast for many games this year as well as having issues with his role when Wade jumped in and out of the linups and suddenly took more shots than Bron is delusional.
that being said even if lebron didnt coast and Wade had a consistent smaller role Durant would still have had a better scoring season but not by much.
LeBron is better in EVERYTHING but scoring than Durant and at his best hes even a better scorer.
thats not a knock on Durant who, with some help of the refs, has one of the greatest scoring seasons ever.
no shame that he isnt as good as the GOAT tho:coleman:

RRR3, this shtick is pretty lame.

Solefade
04-01-2014, 08:23 PM
KD is better than Lebron until he loses to him in the playoffs.

then it's because he's only 25 years old or because lebron has a better supporting cast :oldlol:

fpliii
04-01-2014, 08:23 PM
RRR3, this shtick is pretty lame.
:banana:

Marlo_Stanfield
04-01-2014, 08:24 PM
KD is better than Lebron until he loses to him in the playoffs.

then it's because he's only 25 years old or because lebron has a better supporting cast :oldlol:
this:facepalm

Magic731
04-01-2014, 08:32 PM
Why does durant get outplayed by someone he's supposedly better than most of the time
1-1

Round Mound
04-02-2014, 02:50 AM
Everyone Knows Im More Of An 80s-Early 90s B-Ball Fan But This Lebron vs Durant or Durant vs Lebron Will Probably Go Down As One of The Best If Not "The Best SF Rivalry Of All Time".

20Four
04-02-2014, 02:55 AM
Only people who think leBRONZE is better than KD are on their knees sucking leBBRONZE off right now

SpaceJammeR
04-02-2014, 02:56 AM
lebron is a better basketball player than durant. besides score what else can durant do?

AintNoSunshine
04-02-2014, 03:24 AM
having a better season does not equal being the better player.

aj1987
04-02-2014, 03:35 AM
KD has definitely been better this season. Anyone who says otherwise is an idiot. I expected LeBron to improve this season, but he was actually better last season. Maybe playing over 4 seasons worth of basketball in 3 has something to do about it. If the Heat win again this year, or go to 6-7 games in the Finals, LeBron might actually be even worse next season.

DFish24
04-02-2014, 03:39 AM
Lebron will never be better than Durant again, he as already peaked and will only decline from here on out. Durant will only get better.

LoneyROY7
04-02-2014, 03:40 AM
Why can't people accept that neither will win the championship this season, so who cares? :confusedshrug:

funnystuff
04-02-2014, 03:55 AM
REGULAR SEASON

:facepalm

pauk
04-02-2014, 04:42 AM
Because "THIS YEAR" is not over, the most important part of "THIS YEAR" is coming up.... namely the playoffs....

KD has done more in the regular season all in all (statistically) and hence will win the MVP, but him being a better player is not true, "THIS YEAR"... you cant just write of a back-to-back MVP/FMVP/Champion/Best player in the world in one single regular season, even long before the playoffs... that is just ignorant.... that is the logic of something like Malone > Jordan in 97 in the regular season.....

All Net
04-02-2014, 04:50 AM
KD is the MVP but LeBron is still the best player. He's won back to back titles. Playoffs is where it matters.

If KD wins the title then yes things change.. But do people expect OKC to beat miami?

LEFT4DEAD
04-02-2014, 04:56 AM
I would choose Lebron's team over Durant's 10 of 10 times. Thats why.
But I would really love to see their rematch in the finals. That would give us the most accurate picture on who is better between the two.
Durant has never dominated James in the way he should be. For most people James was better than Kobe despite Kobe winning those two rings, just because James destroyed Kobe and the Lakers every time they met. Head to head is the most important part when comparing two players imo.

BlazerRed
04-02-2014, 04:58 AM
KD is the MVP but LeBron is still the best player. He's won back to back titles. Playoffs is where it matters.

If KD wins the title then yes things change.. But do people expect OKC to beat miami?
Yes :rockon:

coin24
04-02-2014, 05:03 AM
Durant>>>>>> bran.. dat steep decline:oldlol:

But yeah, only idiot bran stans expected him to be more than this..
Way too much ball in the last 3-4 years.. Plus Spo is running him into the ground, should be playing Beasley more if theyre supposedly coasting...

BlazerRed
04-02-2014, 05:06 AM
Durant>>>>>> bran.. dat steep decline:oldlol:
:applause: it's over too. Leflop is in decline, Durant is only getting better. If Durant can win the ring and FMVP this year he's already had a better peak year than Leflop ever had. Crazy really.

coin24
04-02-2014, 05:08 AM
:applause: it's over too. Leflop is in decline, Durant is only getting better. If Durant can win the ring and FMVP this year he's already had a better peak year than Leflop ever had. Crazy really.

If Durant achieves that this season he moves ahead of bran all time, no collusion or piggybacking much >>>>>>>> brans sorry achievements

plowking
04-02-2014, 05:08 AM
I'm one who agrees with Durant being better this season, but I think the second game proved what everyone was thinking, and that is that Bron is still better.
Even as a Heat fan I thought Durant had stepped up enough to overtake Bron, but its apparent that Bron is still the better player when they play against one another.
Bron really seemed to make it a point in the 2nd game.

BlazerRed
04-02-2014, 05:09 AM
I'm one who agrees with Durant being better this season, but I think the second game proved what everyone was thinking, and that is that Bron is still better.
Even as a Heat fan I thought Durant had stepped up enough to overtake Bron, but its apparent that Bron is still the better player when they play against one another.
Bron really seemed to make it a point in the 2nd game.
Typical Leflop stan, all of a sudden the first game means nothing and the second is all telling :oldlol:

BlazerRed
04-02-2014, 05:10 AM
If Durant achieves that this season he moves ahead of bran all time, no collusion or piggybacking much >>>>>>>> brans sorry achievements
Agreed. Durant this year will already end with a better regular season than Lechoke ever had, and if he can take the ring and FMVP too then it's a better complete season than Leflop EVER had. Unreal. At 25 (or is he 26?) years old too.

plowking
04-02-2014, 05:14 AM
Typical Leflop stan, all of a sudden the first game means nothing and the second is all telling :oldlol:

Ok.

BlazerRed
04-02-2014, 05:18 AM
Ok.
Interesting rebuttal. I'll consider that while I sip my tea.

ILLsmak
04-02-2014, 09:20 AM
Because ultimately the playoffs matter at the end.

Unfort, but this is how the world works. End result is what matters.

If Durant wins, he's the best. He's the best all year next year, too, unless he starts playing absolutely terrible.

If Durant loses (no matter who else wins), LeBron is still the best.

Not saying that's an objective viewpoint, but that's how it will be.

I would like to see KD win. 32+ ppg is really amazing. Dudes talking about just scoring haha. For one, he's scoring A LOT and for two we all know that isn't true.

Seriously, tho, 32ppg in "this era" is crazy high. Getting 30 is hard enough now, but more than just 30.1 or whatever hasn't been done since Kobe on a bad team... unless I'm trippin.

-Smak

ILLsmak
04-02-2014, 09:24 AM
Because "THIS YEAR" is not over, the most important part of "THIS YEAR" is coming up.... namely the playoffs....

KD has done more in the regular season all in all (statistically) and hence will win the MVP, but him being a better player is not true, "THIS YEAR"... you cant just write of a back-to-back MVP/FMVP/Champion/Best player in the world in one single regular season, even long before the playoffs... that is just ignorant.... that is the logic of something like Malone > Jordan in 97 in the regular season.....

wat Malone was old as shit, too. This isn't some fluke season for KD. He will keep playing well... maybe not this well. This is the culmination of the rivalry between KD and LeBron... and I think that the fact that KD is playing so well gives us reason to wonder if he is actually capable of playing better than LeBron.

You see what I mean? The idea is that you can't say BRON WILL BE BACK TO BEING THE BEST NEXT YEAR when there's no proof of that. Everything we've seen leads us to believe it will be a battle again next year.

Therefore, you can say KD is the best player right now.

-Smak

freshperry
04-02-2014, 09:35 AM

Generalizations created by scouts and coaches who are paid to watch the 80 games each play in a season. ESPN and media does hype up players (especially superstars) but you just proved your own point.... Its not a coincidence that you usually hear these things on TV.

Jlamb47
04-02-2014, 09:36 AM
KD > LEBRON so far at this moment IMO. Of course it can change by playoff time. Kd had the better record with a less supporting cast on a harder conference with better stats

tmacattack33
04-02-2014, 09:43 AM
Yes, KD has played better in the pre-season (aka what the NBA likes to call the regular season).

In the NBA, with an 82 game year, making a judgement off of the pre-season (aka what the NBA likes to call the regular season) is ludicrious. Especially when one of the teams in question has been to the Finals three years in a row and has already admitted that when they try too hard in the regular season it hurts their playoff changes.

Unless they change the regular season down to something reasonable, like 42 games, this will always be the case.

ihoopallday
04-02-2014, 10:17 AM
I've enjoyed seeing Miami win back to back championships with LeBron being the best player in the league. If it's Durant's turn, then so be it. Guess that's what happens when you don't spend so much time hating on either player. Some of you should try it. Makes watching ball a lot more enjoyable :cheers:

Prometheus
04-02-2014, 10:25 AM
Eh. It's too obvious to us that LeBron has been conserving his energy and force all season. Anyone remember the defense he played in the finals? Compare that with his defense this season. "Coasting" is not just a catchy term, it's a real thing.

The NBA season is long, and the wise players with championship experience save their best for the playoffs. Props to slim, he's had a better season and has played better, but to OP, the reason we still call LeBron the best player in the world is that when he brings his effort (which he will do in the playoffs) he is still comfortably better than KD.

Oh and to those of you trying to suggest that Durant is a better passer... just... :banghead:

sd3035
04-02-2014, 10:46 AM
Durant = better scorer, passer, defender

Lebron = better team

All Net
04-02-2014, 10:48 AM
Durant = better scorer, passer, defender

Lebron = better team

Better passer and defender? Stop trolling

BlackVVaves
04-02-2014, 11:07 AM

So by your logic pauk, you concede that Dirk was a better player than Bron in 2011?

dannysc305
04-02-2014, 02:03 PM
Durant>Season LeBron>career

secund2nun
04-02-2014, 02:08 PM
Lebron is better than Durant and you will see it in the playoffs AGAIN. The regular season doesn't mean much especially since Miami is coasting, saving up energy for the 3 peat.

Solefade
04-02-2014, 02:10 PM
Better passer and defender? Stop trolling

you should ban him.

J Shuttlesworth
04-02-2014, 02:11 PM
I agree w/ the thread title that KD > LeBron for this year. That's why he's MVP. I don't hear anyone saying otherwise

Solefade
04-02-2014, 02:16 PM
wait till they announce KD as MVP....ooohh lebron gonna be mad and motivated

any bulletin board material for LBJ is bad news for the rest of the league

Clyde
04-02-2014, 02:17 PM
great...another KD vs LeBron thread.

kamil
04-02-2014, 02:51 PM
Why can't people accept that KD > Lebron for THIS YEAR?

Because LeBron* fans are insecure.

livinglegend
04-02-2014, 02:53 PM
because the year is not over!:facepalm

20Four
04-02-2014, 02:53 PM
Because LeBron* fans are insecure.
:bowdown: :bowdown:
QFT

They are so insecure because the mutha fvcka has "chosen 1" tattooed on his back...but yet hes not the best player in the NBA :roll:

KirbyPls
04-02-2014, 02:55 PM
QFT

They are so insecure because the mutha fvcka has "chosen 1" tattooed on his back...but yet hes not the best player in the NBA :roll:

And yet, better than your rapist idol ever was Kobetard.

livinglegend
04-02-2014, 02:58 PM
QFT

bandwagoner

moe94
04-02-2014, 03:00 PM
QFT

Laker fans in 09: it's all about the playoffs!!

Laker fans in 14: your boy is washed up...it's over (playoffs didn't even start)

KirbyPls
04-02-2014, 03:29 PM
Laker fans in 09: it's all about the playoffs!!

Laker fans in 14: your boy is washed up...it's over (playoffs didn't even start)

Dat insecurity doe. :lol

Rocketswin2013
04-02-2014, 03:32 PM
Peak: LeBron
Accomplishments: LeBron
Prime: LeBron

THIS season alone: KD

/thread

KirbyPls
04-02-2014, 03:37 PM
Peak: LeBron
Accomplishments: LeBron