PDA

View Full Version : What impact would prime Horace Grant have on the Miami Heat?

PieceOfFelt
04-01-2014, 08:13 PM
It seems to me that he is the type of a player that they really need. He provided toughness, good rebounding, good interior defense, shot blocking and a good mid range game as well.

inclinerator
04-01-2014, 08:13 PM
he's everything the heat needs to be perfect

Marlo_Stanfield
04-01-2014, 08:16 PM
replace Bosh with this guy and the Heat are a lock for 3 peat if Wade is able to walk.
i really learned to like bosh lately but his defense against real Centers is just so damn pathetic i would replace him with grant every day

Dragonyeuw
04-01-2014, 09:31 PM
Prime Grant would be a better fit for this Heat team if Wade was healthy and consistently producing on offense in tandem with Lebron( the 2011 Heat). Bosh's scoring ability is a better fit for the Heat with an oft- injured, slightly diminished Wade(2012 onward).

JohnFreeman
04-01-2014, 09:32 PM
His Grantland interview was interesting

Bandito
04-01-2014, 09:34 PM
Defensively the team would get better but offensively it would get worse if you replace Bosh with Grant. Lebron needs a ton of shooters for his game to be effective.

Dragonyeuw
04-01-2014, 09:49 PM
Bosh was pretty much relegated to being a spot shooter when he joined the Heat. Grant was more of a garbage scorer around the basket off feeds from Jordan/ Pippen penetration and putbacks. He had a decent mid range jumper from 15-16 feet, not as prolific as Bosh but good enough to keep you honest.

As I said, I think Grant would be a better fit for the Heat if you had a healthy Wade/Lebron duo putting up 25+ each like in 2011, in that case his interior defense, rebounding and toughness would imo be more of an asset than Bosh's scoring. Bosh is more valuable in a situation where having a viable third scoring option is needed, especially with Wade's declining health and inconsistent play since 2012 due to that factor.

Thunderfan86
04-01-2014, 09:51 PM
Stacked

LeGOAT
04-01-2014, 09:55 PM
68-70 win team. They go through Pacers and Spurs much easier

iamgine
04-01-2014, 10:04 PM
I don't think you lose that much offensively if you replace current Bosh with prime Grant. In any other team maybe but in the Heat Bosh is not a big scorer at all. Grant is fully capable of replacing Bosh's 16 ppg. Grant scored 15+ ppg very regularly and had a great mid range jumper, something the Heat can capitalize on.

guy
04-01-2014, 10:53 PM
68-70 win team. They go through Pacers and Spurs much easier:oldlol:

Dragonyeuw
04-02-2014, 05:36 AM
I don't think you lose that much offensively if you replace current Bosh with prime Grant. In any other team maybe but in the Heat Bosh is not a big scorer at all. Grant is fully capable of replacing Bosh's 16 ppg. Grant scored 15+ ppg very regularly and had a great mid range jumper, something the Heat can capitalize on.

Grant didnt have the ability to go off for 30+ like Bosh can though. His numbers have dropped, but in addition to being a better overall shooter Bosh can face up and take opposing Pfs off the dribble, something not in Grant's reportoire. If the Heat are in a situation where both Wade and Lebron are on the bench, you can still feature Bosh offensively. You couldnt do that with Grant.

ImKobe
04-02-2014, 05:41 AM
He pretty much would give the Heat what Bosh currently gives, but slightly better when it comes to rebounding & post defense with obvious deficiencies on offense. He was a decent 15/10 guy, but he couldn't be your #1 or #2 scoring option if you're trying to build a championship team. I think Bosh is way more valuable when you look at the whole package & what he did in the Finals on the defensive end last season.

It depends on what version of him the Heat would get though. I think they only improve if they got '92 Horace Grant, any other version of him IMO they would pretty much be the same with slight improvement on defense & boards.

iamgine
04-02-2014, 05:59 AM
Grant didnt have the ability to go off for 30+ like Bosh can though. His numbers have dropped, but in addition to being a better overall shooter Bosh can face up and take opposing Pfs off the dribble, something not in Grant's reportoire. If the Heat are in a situation where both Wade and Lebron are on the bench, you can still feature Bosh offensively. You couldnt do that with Grant.
Of course Bosh is a much better offensive player. I'm just saying it doesn't matter too much in the Miami team. The offense is not gonna fall apart just because there's no Bosh to be featured offensively on the floor for a few minutes a game, especially it's usually against other team's bench.

OldSchoolBBall
04-02-2014, 10:26 AM
Prime Grant would be a better fit for this Heat team if Wade was healthy and consistently producing on offense in tandem with Lebron( the 2011 Heat). Bosh's scoring ability is a better fit for the Heat with an oft- injured, slightly diminished Wade(2012 onward).

This. Grant also does not provide the same spacing that Bosh does. He had range out to 18-20 feet, but not Bosh-type range. And I'm not sure why the folks who cited Bosh's defense against true centers believe that Grant would do any better - he didn't defend centers in his day.

sundizz
04-02-2014, 11:23 AM
This. Grant also does not provide the same spacing that Bosh does. He had range out to 18-20 feet, but not Bosh-type range. And I'm not sure why the folks who cited Bosh's defense against true centers believe that Grant would do any better - he didn't defend centers in his day.

Grant is much tougher. He's also more comfortable with his role. Bosh sometimes fades because he still known he is a superstar. When he doesn't get superstar touches his impact on the game lessens. His potential is higher, but his actual production and impact is not equal to that.

Grant is the perfect Lebron player. Doesn't ask for anything and will beat up the opposing team. He had a sweet on the money 18 to 20 footer. That's all the Heat need with their current set of three point shooters. You need a midrange guy in there. Lebron drives dishes to Horace. He'll carve a groove into that 18 to 20 foot range he'd be hitting from there so often.

DuMa
04-02-2014, 11:26 AM
Grant was just a slightly better Udonis Haslem. not much would change except for taking Bosh away

guy
04-02-2014, 11:29 AM
Heat fans complain about Lebron not having enough help right now, and now you think Grant would do better then Bosh? :oldlol: It would be hilarious to see the complaints with Grant instead of Bosh.

(e)
04-02-2014, 11:39 AM
Bosh is so underrated. How can you hate on what Chris Bosh does, he's had to change his game way more than Lebron and Wade. Miami's made that dude a spot up jump shooter...it's sad.

Dragonyeuw
04-02-2014, 06:03 PM
Of course Bosh is a much better offensive player. I'm just saying it doesn't matter too much in the Miami team.

It will matter in the coming seasons with Wade exiting his prime years. I expect Bosh to shoulder a heavier offensive burden if not next season, then the one after. Note that Wade's ppg has steadily declined the past 3 years below his career averages.

Dragonyeuw
04-02-2014, 06:06 PM
Grant is much tougher. He's also more comfortable with his role. Bosh sometimes fades because he still known he is a superstar. When he doesn't get superstar touches his impact on the game lessens. His potential is higher, but his actual production and impact is not equal to that.

Its not surprising that he fades from time to time. Out of the big three he's the one who had to sacrifice his game the most in order for them to gel.

Nikola_
04-02-2014, 06:07 PM
Better defense, worse offense

ArbitraryWater
04-02-2014, 06:07 PM
Kidding me? Would fill ALL holes... 4-peat

oarabbus
04-02-2014, 06:57 PM
The same impact I have on OP's mom 's vajyna, a massive, huge, throbbing impact

jk op you're cool

rzp
04-02-2014, 08:26 PM
OP didn't said Bosh for Grant...:coleman:

PieceOfFelt
04-02-2014, 09:10 PM
Grant was just a slightly better Udonis Haslem. not much would change except for taking Bosh away

Wow, the stupid in this post is just overwhelming.

PieceOfFelt
04-02-2014, 09:11 PM
OP didn't said Bosh for Grant...:coleman:

You're correct. They took that idea and ran with it.

D.J.
04-02-2014, 09:12 PM
Prime Horace Grant was around 15/11 with much better D than Bosh. He was also much tougher in the post, something the Heat don't have much of. And Grant had decent range himself. He could hit shots from 15-17 feet.

iamgine
04-02-2014, 09:12 PM
It will matter in the coming seasons with Wade exiting his prime years. I expect Bosh to shoulder a heavier offensive burden if not next season, then the one after. Note that Wade's ppg has steadily declined the past 3 years below his career averages.
Also note that while Wade's ppg steadily decline, Bosh's PPG or FGA hasn't go up. It actually has decreased slightly. Miami is fully capable of bringing the offensive talent to replace Wade's decline and they have been doing that so I think it still won't matter much.

Dragonyeuw
04-03-2014, 05:56 AM
Also note that while Wade's ppg steadily decline, Bosh's PPG or FGA hasn't go up. It actually has decreased slightly. Miami is fully capable of bringing the offensive talent to replace Wade's decline and they have been doing that so I think it still won't matter much.

That's because,as you note, Miami has been able to attract the talent to not have to burden Bosh with shouldering a heavier offensive burden. Ray allen, for example, has provided a good insurance policy for Wade but how longer is he gonna be around for at 39 years old? The point is, without going in circles, is Bosh is a better scorer, Grant a tougher defender and interior presence. Which one is a better fit for the Heat depends on the makeup of the team. I repeat that IMO Grant would have served the Heat better in 2011, but not sure about the seasons since. Bosh has extended his range out to 3 point land, which creates all kinds of issues for opposing 4s, and the Heat have managed to toughen up their interior with Birdman and Oden.