PDA

View Full Version : Why is Tim Duncan so boring?

deja vu
04-03-2014, 11:28 AM
This is not a hate thread because I actually admire the guy and his talent. But some people say that he's boring. I think it's kinda true because nobody buys a Duncan jersey. Lol. He also doesn't have any stans. So what gives?

Jlamb47
04-03-2014, 11:30 AM
I have 3 Duncan Jerseys, and he does sell em. I dont think hes boring at all. 4rings 3 FMVP 2MVP. I enjoy watching his game, its straight skills. He dosnt dunk or do fancy sh1t cuz hes fundamental thats all.

T_L_P
04-03-2014, 11:31 AM
I particularly love watching good defense, so Duncan is/was one of the least boring players I've ever seen :confusedshrug:

If anything it's the perimeter players who get repetitious and boring

mr.big35
04-03-2014, 11:32 AM
because he doesnt scream and do high flying dunks. plays fundamentally

sejoon101
04-03-2014, 11:33 AM
Nash, then Duncan.

Who's next on your hate thread phaggit?

fpliii
04-03-2014, 11:34 AM
I dislike the Spurs, but I love watching Timmy and respect his play. All about that low post scoring and defense. :rockon:

Uncle Drew
04-03-2014, 11:35 AM
Fundamentals > athleticism

deja vu
04-03-2014, 11:38 AM
Nash, then Duncan.

Who's next on your hate thread phaggit?
Why don't you actually read my post instead of making a brainless reply. I said that I'm a Duncan fan. I'm just asking because my friends say he's boring.

ralph_i_el
04-03-2014, 11:42 AM
Why don't you actually read my post instead of making a brainless reply. I said that I'm a Duncan fan. I'm just asking because my friends say he's boring.

there's your problem. Your friends are casuals and don't know shit.

Duncan dominates by seeing the floor 2 steps ahead of the competition, having his routine of moves-counter moves down, and having extreme economy of movement. You never see duncan exert himself unnecessarily, and his moves are smooth and efficient.

Big#50
04-03-2014, 11:45 AM
Because you didn't watch him before 07.

ImKobe
04-03-2014, 11:46 AM
Prime Duncan was a joy to watch. The old version is slower, but when he gets it going, he's a ****ing beast.

Random_Guy
04-03-2014, 11:47 AM
he is boring, watching him play is like reading a dictionary.
He has perfected basketball. TBH watching him play is like reading a dicitionary. He doesnt need any flashy moves because he can kill anyone with a drop step right hook or simply a bank shot.
And before anyone here bash me as a casual fan, I want to say that I do admire Timmy's game and I do understand how good he is, but for me personally, I guess im a product of the and1 era. Are the higher quality? Probably not. But more fun to watch.

Big#50
04-03-2014, 11:49 AM
He has perfected basketball. TBH watching him play is like reading a dicitionary. He doesnt need any flashy moves because he can kill anyone with a drop step right hook or simply a bank shot.
And before anyone here bash me as a casual fan, I want to say that I do admire Timmy's game and I do understand how good he is, but for me personally, I guess im a product of the and1 era. Are the higher quality? Probably not. But more fun to watch.
Probably????

Random_Guy
04-03-2014, 11:51 AM
Probably????
well in turns of enterntainment, it just depends on what you want. Ive watched the NBA for quite a while now, but im not afraid to admit that I like watching isos as much as a beautiful passing team like the spurs.

Big#50
04-03-2014, 11:54 AM
well in turns of enterntainment, it just depends on what you want. Ive watched the NBA for quite a while now, but im not afraid to admit that I like watching isos as much as a beautiful passing team like the spurs.
I love watching great ISO players/plays as well. Just sucks when players that have no business doing it are doing it.

JohnMax
04-03-2014, 11:58 AM
Its because they made the switch to an offense first team late in Duncan's career. A younger Duncan would challenge scoring titles in this system.

SsKSpurs21
04-03-2014, 12:11 PM

I can somewhat agree with this. His game is very predictable. what you see is what you get. back in his Prime there were times where you would go, "oh wow" or "holy shit" but alot of games he just goes about his business and the next thing you know its a 20-10-5 stat line and you are thinking, "how in the hell did that happen? i didnt see him do anything amazing". That happens to me and I watch practically every Spurs game. its those times that you sit back and appreciate the brilliance of Timmy D.

tpols
04-03-2014, 12:15 PM
Its because they made the switch to an offense first team late in Duncan's career. A younger Duncan would challenge scoring titles in this system.
Duncans max ppg was 25.. young duncan averaged like 22ishppg.

How is he surpassing Durant's 32ppg?

Random_Guy
04-03-2014, 12:21 PM
I can somewhat agree with this. His game is very predictable. what you see is what you get. back in his Prime there were times where you would go, "oh wow" or "holy shit" but alot of games he just goes about his business and the next thing you know its a 20-10-5 stat line and you are thinking, "how in the hell did that happen? i didnt see him do anything amazing". That happens to me and I watch practically every Spurs game. its those times that you sit back and appreciate the brilliance of Timmy D.
this tbh, when you have such a fundamentally sound game, you dont need all those moves. Even timmy's post game is very predicatable. problem he is so good that you can;t guard it either way.

he is a true professional:applause:

SsKSpurs21
Duncans max ppg was 25.. young duncan averaged like 22ishppg.

How is he surpassing Durant's 32ppg?

very hard to surpass 32ppg, but those Spurs teams in the early 2000s relied heavily on defense. their ppg total was around 90ppg, some games they would win by putting up only 70 points.

now, the game has changed to more of a perimeter game. A prime duncan now would definitely put up more points with the motion offense the spurs have implemented.

Draz
Skills and fundamentals is more fun to watch than anything.

TylerOO
04-03-2014, 12:23 PM
People that like Duncan are the same dudes at the park that say "Im really good at defense!" aka the kids who can't get buckets

tpols
04-03-2014, 12:26 PM
very hard to surpass 32ppg, but those Spurs teams in the early 2000s relied heavily on defense. their ppg total was around 90ppg, some games they would win by putting up only 70 points.

now, the game has changed to more of a perimeter game. A prime duncan now would definitely put up more points with the motion offense the spurs have implemented.
Duncan was still in his prime when the rules changed to allow offenses more freedom. His teams played near 100 pace and he still only averaged 20 ppg.

He probably put up 25ish ppg.. maybe 27 max. He wouldnt be close to a scoring title.

kshutts1
04-03-2014, 12:29 PM
All ESPN related.. but I can't stand constant dunk/flashy players, ala Blake Griffin, Jamal Crawford, etc.

I respect and admire Duncan, love watching him play. Boring? Yes. Admiral and great? Undoubtedly. I'd rather watch Duncan than Melo.... but I'd rather watch a hot JR Smith than Duncan.

As for fans, though, I'd rather be a fan of Duncan, lol.

Uncle Drew
04-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Duncan was still in his prime when the rules changed to allow offenses more freedom. His teams played near 100 pace and he still only averaged 20 ppg.

He probably put up 25ish ppg.. maybe 27 max. He wouldnt be close to a scoring title.
He doesn't care about that stuff anyway.

T_L_P
04-03-2014, 12:31 PM
People that like Duncan are the same dudes at the park that say "Im really good at defense!" aka the kids who can't get buckets

Well, the vast majority of them are Spurs fans. What do you expect, them not to like their all-time best player?

kshutts1
04-03-2014, 12:34 PM

... I don't like your comment, but I can't deny its truthfulness (is that a word?), as I like Duncan, and I'm pretty nasty on D.

WallIn
04-03-2014, 12:44 PM
Still averaging 15/10 in 30 minutes at age 38

Guy is a legend, nuff said.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-03-2014, 12:45 PM
The Spurs being "boring" is a myth perpetuated by casuals. In reality, post 2005, they've been VERY fun to watch.

Seeing 36-year old Duncan toy with Miami last finals was...great. :confusedshrug:

SCdac
04-03-2014, 01:47 PM
Is he really boring though? or do we just not know how to appreciate his dry sense of humor :pimp:

http://coedbc.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/duncan-parker-crawford-guns.jpg

http://cdn2-www.hoopsvibe.com/assets/uploads/2013/04/file_170891_6_tumblr_mlx3l8bErw1qzaoamo1_r1_500.gi f

secund2nun
04-03-2014, 01:50 PM
I find him exciting to watch. I find the athletic chuckers that casual fans love to be boring.

DMV2
04-03-2014, 02:18 PM
I like his post game and those bank shots are second to none.

Definitely not boring.

inclinerator
04-03-2014, 02:28 PM
watching him the post is magical

Eric Cartman
04-03-2014, 02:43 PM
Because you touch yourself at night.

ZoPunde
04-03-2014, 02:45 PM
I have 3 Duncan Jerseys, and he does sell em. I dont think hes boring at all. 4rings 3 FMVP 2MVP. I enjoy watching his game, its straight skills. He dosnt dunk or do fancy sh1t cuz hes fundamental thats all.

you mean to tell me that you can't be fundamentally sound and flashy at time?

ZoPunde
04-03-2014, 02:49 PM
Fundamentals > athleticism

.... i don't see you rushing out to any wnba game

IGOTGAME
04-03-2014, 02:52 PM
watching him the post is magical

it used to be. he has regressed as a post player tho. That being said, I grew up watching homw-made Tim Duncan tapes for hours a day before going outside to work on post moves. So, I'm kind of a fan.

k0kakw0rld
04-03-2014, 03:05 PM
This is not a hate thread because I actually admire the guy and his talent. But some people say that he's boring. I think it's kinda true because nobody buys a Duncan jersey. Lol. He also doesn't have any stans. So what gives?
I'm a stan and proud to be one. He is top 5 dead or alive. :pimp:

JUDGE WITNESS
04-03-2014, 03:06 PM
to understand this one must know the formula when dealing with casuals

not flashy = boring

nf = b

duskovujosevic
04-03-2014, 05:00 PM
he is not boring, he just doesn't fit in mainstream media picture of an athlete. espn and other websites are not interesed in promoting real sports figures. they are rather interested in westbrook outfit, wade's wifes, lebron's cellphone etc.

Psileas
04-03-2014, 05:17 PM
You'd better ask: "Why do I find Duncan boring"? He's not boring for lots of people who appreciate bigs playing the game as it should be played. Duncan is a great energy conservator. The answer of why he's boring is the same to the question "why is Duncan so durable" or "why is Duncan never seriously injured". He knows what matters. Let others have the dunks and the flash, but in a brutal, physical game, this stuff won't fly, certainly not in the 4th quarter, after 36 minutes of fatigue. Then will be the conservator's turn.

TheReal Kendall
04-03-2014, 05:26 PM

Dumb comment.

I like Duncan and I can score and play good defense.

Most people like him cause of his fundamentals and post play. Also because he comes off as a great guy that never gets in trouble. Not your typical NBA player.

ralph_i_el
04-03-2014, 07:42 PM
What's "boring" about Duncan is that he never did a bunch of low class stuff to get people hyped about him. He treats basketball like a construction job