PDA

View Full Version : Serious Question About The Servant's FT Shooting

DonDadda59
04-04-2014, 02:04 PM
So someone made a thread about yet another random ESPN stat streak. This one comparing Jordan and Durant's games with a minimum of an arbitrary 25 points. What jumped out at me was the FT shooting. During his streak, MJ was getting 11.6 FTA/gm while shooting 28 FGA/gm. In his Durant is taking one less, 10.6 FTA/gm while taking 'only' 22 FGA/gm.

Now on the surface that looks like one guy getting one more FTA/gm on about 6 more shots/gm. But looking more into the #s, Jordan was only taking about 1 3 attempt per game while KD is taking 7. That means that while Jordan was getting about 12 FTA/gm while taking 27 shots per game inside the 3 pt line, KD is getting 11 while taking only about 15 in the same area.

Looking into it further, during his prime/first championship run ('89-'93), Jordan was getting 8 FTA on about 21 FGA/gm inside the 3. Meanwhile, KD ('00-'14) is getting 9 FTA on about 15 FGA inside the arc.

How is this possible? Does his rip through move really produce that many legitimate fouls/FTA? :biggums:

MJ's FTr (FT attempts per FG attempt) was .353 during that span, and his career high was .459 (rookie year). Meanwhile, KD is at .469. At only 25, he's already logged a high of .523 (last season).

I've seen a bunch of KD's nationally televised games and have not seen him make a concerted effort to get to the paint (only 39% of his shots are in the paint/post, compare that to 54% for Bron). Can anyone who watches him on a consistent basis explain how he's getting such a ridiculously high rate of FTA?

:confusedshrug:

Trollsmasher
04-04-2014, 02:12 PM
He makes an effort to look for contact and flop everytime he feels something touching him. It's not as visible as LeBron's occasional patented headsnap, but it makes refs blow their whistles everytime.

dannywpt
04-04-2014, 02:12 PM
He is the most skilled scorer in the game who moves like a guard with the length of a legit center.

For some reason defenders have a hard time stopping him without fouling.

:durantunimpressed:

inclinerator
04-04-2014, 02:14 PM
He is the most skilled scorer in the game who moves like a guard with the length of a legit center.

For some reason defenders have a hard time stopping him without fouling.

:durantunimpressed:
no brah, there's a foul on every play in basketball, durant just gets the calls

oarabbus
04-04-2014, 02:19 PM
no brah, there's a foul on every play in basketball, durant just gets the calls

This. They don't call him FT35 for nothing.

CelticBaller
04-04-2014, 02:19 PM
He gets all the calls

riseagainst
04-04-2014, 02:21 PM
He gets all the calls

nice avatar, bro.

juju151111
04-04-2014, 02:27 PM
So someone made a thread about yet another random ESPN stat streak. This one comparing Jordan and Durant's games with a minimum of an arbitrary 25 points. What jumped out at me was the FT shooting. During his streak, MJ was getting 11.6 FTA/gm while shooting 28 FGA/gm. In his Durant is taking one less, 10.6 FTA/gm while taking 'only' 22 FGA/gm.

Now on the surface that looks like one guy getting one more FTA/gm on about 6 more shots/gm. But looking more into the #s, Jordan was only taking about 1 3 attempt per game while KD is taking 7. That means that while Jordan was getting about 12 FTA/gm while taking 27 shots per game inside the 3 pt line, KD is getting 11 while taking only about 15 in the same area.

Looking into it further, during his prime/first championship run ('89-'93), Jordan was getting 8 FTA on about 21 FGA/gm inside the 3. Meanwhile, KD ('00-'14) is getting 9 FTA on about 15 FGA inside the arc.

How is this possible? Does his rip through move really produce that many legitimate fouls/FTA? :biggums:

MJ's FTr (FT attempts per FG attempt) was .353 during that span, and his career high was .459 (rookie year). Meanwhile, KD is at .469. At only 25, he's already logged a high of .523 (last season).

I've seen a bunch of KD's nationally televised games and have not seen him make a concerted effort to get to the paint (only 39% of his shots are in the paint/post, compare that to 54% for Bron). Can anyone who watches him on a consistent basis explain how he's getting such a ridiculously high rate of FTA?

:confusedshrug:
He is skinny, so when he drives and get pushed his body looks like he getting tossed around. He also gets fouled a lot on jumpshots because of his height. Cgfcf'cff

Solefade
04-04-2014, 02:31 PM
the NBA is rewarding players who aren't buff/don't work out in the weightroom..he gets fouls the same way harden gets fouls

DonDadda59
04-04-2014, 02:32 PM
He gets all the calls

Is that it all comes down to? It's that simple?

I mean unless the whistle blows virtually every time he's in the neighborhood of the painted area, doesn't explain the ridiculously high rate of FTs he's getting. I was honest about the rip through move too. I know the NBA is trying to crack down on that weak cheap shot, but KD was definitely using it to his advantage and getting a ton of unnecessary FTAs from doing that 21+ ft from the basket in previous years.

Is he still getting away with that this season? Only way I could possibly explain away getting 10+ FTA on only about 8 shot attempts per game in the paint.

navy
04-04-2014, 02:32 PM
He gets all the calls.

Frozen1
04-04-2014, 02:37 PM
Last night when i got home i starded whatching the OKC - Spurs game.

I watched 2 minutes of it and Durant made a rip through. Immediately switched channels.

Doranku
04-04-2014, 02:38 PM
Jordan stans starting to get threatened by KD? :eek:

If you wanna complain about someone's FT shooting, you should be moaning about James Harden.

sd3035
04-04-2014, 02:38 PM
Durnt is a much better shooter, people try to hack him and get away with it on jumpers. They are usually successful, although he gets the call occasionally

Solefade
04-04-2014, 02:39 PM
KD has over 100+ more FTM and FTA than the 2nd place guy :lol

how does anyone not find this absurd for a jump shooter?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-TvJa7eicIy8/Uz78FbkhhHI/AAAAAAAAAIM/uuy3g0xno6A/w766-h303-no/kdFTA.JPG

Le Shaqtus
04-04-2014, 02:40 PM
It's not his fault people aren't disciplined enough not to foul him.

Eric Cartman
04-04-2014, 02:42 PM
Unstoppable.

DonDadda59
04-04-2014, 02:49 PM

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-TvJa7eicIy8/Uz78FbkhhHI/AAAAAAAAAIM/uuy3g0xno6A/w766-h303-no/kdFTA.JPG

Wow. Haven't seen anything like it since '05-'06 when the no-touching/3 sec rules were instituted. Refs went completely overboard and there was a lot of scoring and FT inflation.

But even then, though D-Whistle was getting 11 FTA on 19 FGA (.568 FTr), at least he was attacking the basket non stop and only settling for 1 3 attempt/gm ala MJ.

Can't explain away the Servant phenomena though.

Solefade
04-04-2014, 02:51 PM
Wow. Haven't seen anything like it since '05-'06 when the no-touching/3 sec rules were instituted. Refs went completely overboard and there was a lot of scoring and FT inflation.

But even then, though D-Whistle was getting 11 FTA on 19 FGA (.568 FTr), at least he was attacking the basket non stop and only settling for 1 3 attempt/gm ala MJ.

Can't explain away the Servant phenomena though.

I don't have a problem with players like Jordan/Wade/Lebron averaging 10FTA because they consistently attack the basket and are pretty physical...the FT's that KD gets make me cringe.

Andrei89
04-04-2014, 02:53 PM
The Servant`s rip through move is one of the most disgusting moves in basketball.

Defender got him locked up, here is what the Servant does not do:

1. Shoot a fadeaway
2. Dribble past the defender
3. Pass the ball out

Instead, he throws his arms up in the air and he gets the call. They should revise their rules the NBA, if anything , it should be an offensive foul and not free throws gifted to this manufactured superstar.

Absolutely disgusting how a perimeter jump shooters gets so many free throws.

Poetry
04-04-2014, 02:54 PM
Harden gets an absurd amount of freethrows as well.

Harden 2012-13
10.9 - 2pt - FGA
10.2 - FTA

Jordan 1986-87
27 - 2pt FGA
11.9 - FTA

DonDadda59
04-04-2014, 03:00 PM
I don't have a problem with players like Jordan/Wade/Lebron averaging 10FTA because they consistently attack the basket and are pretty physical...the FT's that KD gets make me cringe.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to figure out. Wade got 11 FTA/gm on 19 shot attempts back in '06 and set the record for most FTA in the finals at 6'4", despite his teammate being Mr. Hack-A-Shaq himself at 7'1, 325+ lbs.

But 1) He was taking advantage of the weak perimeter rules (as is Durant of course) 2) He wasn't settling for 5-7 3s per game, only about 1.

Basic logic says a guy attacking the basket, especially when there's no real way for defenses to stop them from getting there, will get more FTAs. But in Durant's case, he's only taking about 8 shots in/around the paint but getting 10+ FTA/gm :biggums:

Strange.

http://cdn.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/527873/80462491.jpg

We survived Harold Miner, we can survive a kid who couldn't do a single rep of 185 lbs at the combine. Just another 'next' to throw in the pile :oldlol:

Trollsmasher
04-04-2014, 03:25 PM

150 more FTA than the second guy on jumpshots:roll:

And I should be taking this guy seriously?

riseagainst
04-04-2014, 03:27 PM
freethrows or not. Durant is the greatest perimeter player since MJ.

Fudge
04-04-2014, 03:30 PM
Unstoppable.
Pretty much this. I'm surprised it took this long for somebody to say it.

buddha
04-04-2014, 03:36 PM
let's not act like Jordan didn't get all the superstar calls too.

J Shuttlesworth
04-04-2014, 03:41 PM
Watch KD. A lot of the time, he draws contact kinda like how Kobe/Wade/Harden are always doing. Draw the defender in the air, take a shot and draw the contact. Happens a lot. He gets away with more than your average superstar including Jordan though, but it's not as extreme as people make it out to be.

DonDadda59
04-04-2014, 03:44 PM
let's not act like Jordan didn't get all the superstar calls too.

Even if that's true, KD, taking mostly jumpers/3s, is getting more FTA than MJ in his prime, when he was taking more shots and focusing more on drives/post ups/etc.

How do you explain the discrepancy?

Sarcastic
04-04-2014, 04:11 PM
It's obvious that Durant's incredible efficiency is due to a large chunk of the time he is getting points from the free throw line, without getting a field goal attempt.

That and that he protects his numbers, and will not take a bad shot to the detriment of his team.

ArbitraryWater
04-04-2014, 04:17 PM
We really do need to discredit his accomplishments... I remember he got FOUR 3pt shooting fouls against the Lakers :lol :facepalm

Just constantly falling down on shots and getting the calls... The refs still treat him like a high schooler, if that skinny mothafukka would be allowed to be played physical, thats a huge drop in points&efficiency..

Durant gets the softest ****ing fouls imaginable called for him then whines like a bitch any time a foul is called on his team.

I really wish the ref$ let defenders get physical with Durant.

Can you imagine that ****-boy against the 90's Knicks?

riseagainst
04-04-2014, 04:18 PM
We really do need to discredit his accomplishments... I remember he got FOUR 3pt shooting fouls against the Lakers :lol :facepalm

Just constantly falling down on shots and getting the calls... The refs still treat him like a high schooler, if that skinny mothafukka would be allowed to be played physical, thats a huge drop in points&efficiency..

Durant gets the softest ****ing fouls imaginable called for him then whines like a bitch any time a foul is called on his team.

I really wish the ref$ let defenders get physical with Durant.

Can you imagine that ****-boy against the 90's Knicks?

40 FTA a game with broken ribs.

Darius
04-04-2014, 04:31 PM
wtf Derozan is averaging 23ppg???

Ai2death
04-04-2014, 04:44 PM

You'd think Lebron & Melo deserve to be top of that list, they rarely ever get calls when driving in the lane.

sd3035
04-04-2014, 04:48 PM
Durant should average 20 FTA per game, he constantly faces double and triple teams, and gets hacked on nearly every play by multiple defenders. Players like Bran are left unguarded outside of the paint because they cant shoot

If Bran didn't get favorable treatment from the refs, he would average about 2 FTA per game

dannywpt
04-04-2014, 05:04 PM
Durant should average 20 FTA per game, he constantly faces double and triple teams, and gets hacked on nearly every play by multiple defenders. Players like Bran are left unguarded outside of the paint because they cant shoot

If Bran didn't get favorable treatment from the refs, he would average about 2 FTA per game

As valid an argument as anyone else I've seen :applause:

riseagainst
04-04-2014, 05:07 PM

very accurate and unbiased analysis.

:applause:

J Shuttlesworth
04-04-2014, 05:13 PM

Spot on trolling, but everyone knows that you can't "hack" KD... especially multiple defenders. If you put your hands up, you get a whistle

Solefade
04-04-2014, 06:22 PM
this thread being avoided by KD stans like the plague

sd3035
04-04-2014, 06:26 PM
this thread being avoided by KD stans like the plague

KD "stans" don't really exist, fans of Durant are objective and refined, unlike your fanbase of insecure little bandwagon fanboy twats

Solefade
04-04-2014, 06:29 PM
KD "stans" don't really exist, fans of Durant are objective and refined, unlike your fanbase of insecure little bandwagon fanboy twats

insecure? bron the b2b mvp/fmvp :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug:

your KD "clan" is the one that's proclaiming KD as the best player but not expecting him to win the chip :oldlol:

hedge your claims so you can still be right about him being the best in the end :applause:

JT123
04-04-2014, 06:35 PM
Says the guy with Lebron in his avi. :oldlol: I don't see any Lebron fans with other players in their avi's. We are too secure for that. :pimp:

sd3035
04-04-2014, 06:38 PM
Says the guy with Lebron in his avi. :oldlol: I don't see any Lebron fans with other players in their avi's. We are too secure for that. :pimp:

I'm a Lebron fan, but an objective one

Solefade
04-04-2014, 06:40 PM
I'm a Lebron fan, but an objective one

clearly objective :rolleyes:

you're just a really bad troll lol

sd3035
04-04-2014, 06:50 PM
clearly objective :rolleyes:

you're just a really bad troll lol

You shouldn't let personal biases cloud your judgement, make honest, objective assessments. My post that you quoted can be used as a reference

The-Legend-24
04-04-2014, 07:13 PM
Durant got these Jordan stans shook. :oldlol:

KD is already a better scorer than MJ ever was.

chazzy
04-04-2014, 07:16 PM
Reggie Miller had a higher ft rate than MJ

Calabis
04-04-2014, 07:17 PM

Its actually ridiculous. I'm not a Lebron ******ger, but I don't understand how he doesn't lead the league...seeing Harden and Durant above him is comical

JUDGE WITNESS
04-04-2014, 07:19 PM
dont compare mj to kd thats disrespectful - kd is better by a mile

IncarceratedBob
04-04-2014, 07:28 PM
Why is Lebron still so bad at FT shooting, 75% lol cmon

zoom17
04-04-2014, 07:30 PM

yeah he was better last year.

DonDadda59
04-04-2014, 07:31 PM

Because his shooting touch, although improved from his first few years, is still shaky. Which is why it's so strange that he isn't getting Durant level FTAs since most of his damage is done inside.

Also, seeing a lot of trolling but not a lot of basketball being discussed. At least be creative or interesting if you're going to troll. Is that too much to ask for? :confusedshrug:

tpols
04-04-2014, 07:43 PM
The servants been 'serving' the referees after games... only possible explanation

dannywpt
04-04-2014, 09:30 PM

He is not a very good shooter and free throws are related to your shooting skill.

JohnFreeman
04-04-2014, 09:34 PM
It's making basketball boring too watch

raprap
04-04-2014, 09:42 PM
The servant is the best in getting contact and exaggerating the contact made.

r0drig0lac
04-04-2014, 10:05 PM
very accurate and unbiased analysis.

:applause:
:lol

sportjames23
04-04-2014, 10:05 PM

Niqqa please.