PDA

View Full Version : Larry Bird should be caged!

tamaraw08
04-05-2014, 05:20 PM
Larry Bird is a great player….But an executive? The one glaring weakness by Indiana was that they were missing a TRUE POINT GUARD!!:facepalm
George Hill is an undersized shooting guard who has a CAREER ave of 3 assists per game. The guy is a very good shooter who plays pretty good defense. Yes, he is tough, great locker room presence etc etc etc .

For those who are so myopic and would try to defend Bird and say “well, the Pacers were one win away from dethroning the Heat, blah blah blah!” Miami has been known to coast and play to the level of competition. i.e. losing to Rose-less Bulls, and struggling to beat the Spurs which had Manu Ginobli having his career worst playoff series ever.:rant
By end of half time of game 7 vs Miami, it was OVER as they say, when the going gets tough, the TOUGH gets GOING! George crumbled under the “Heat”…:rolleyes:
Bird had a chance to acquire a really good PG like Rondo when Boston was trying to unload all their expensive veterans. He would have lured Toronto to give up Kyle Lowry for Granger and a first round pick but nah, let’s just get the damaged Andrew Bynum because we are 28th in the league in assists/game, 19th in the league in shooting FG%.
21st in the league in most turnovers. Its like buying another fuel pump eventhough your car badly needs a new transmission.
The ironic part was when he was "psuedo coaching" Indiana, as everyone knows that it was Carlisle who was really calling the shots... It was Mark Jackson who spearheaded the offense. No way they would have won the East with the likes of a fake PG like George Hill.

WillC
04-05-2014, 05:21 PM
You've convinced me. Larry Bird should be caged.

:facepalm

freshperry
04-05-2014, 05:28 PM
If what you are saying about luring Lowry is true, yeah Bird messed up pretty big on that one but I think you are being a little bit unfair on the Rondo trade scenario. If I recall, the celtics were looking to trade Rondo but for a pretty heavy price.... Also at the time, the Pacers were doing great as a team and people were saying it was their chemistry/defense that was winning them games. Obviously looking now, the pacers imploded and chemistry is a huge issue but you can bash bird for that. Plus who do you think made this team/drafted PG in the first place?

Railgun
04-05-2014, 05:32 PM
in hindsight every gm makes mistakes.
riley: heat still don't have a capable center
presti: harden
morey: let lowry and dragic go
etc. etc.

Kblaze8855
04-05-2014, 05:34 PM
Thus far im not sure ive seen a preemptive strike on the obvious rebuttal to a topic work out. And here:

For those who are so myopic and would try to defend Bird and say “well, the Pacers were one win away from dethroning the Heat, blah blah blah!”

is no exception

"Blah blah blah" it all you want. Bird built a team that took a 66 win defending champ to game 7 in the conference finals. I think his freedom is justified.

cos88
04-05-2014, 05:39 PM
yeah i'm not reading your crap :facepalm

ProfessorMurder
04-05-2014, 06:49 PM
I want to know how hard he went after Rondo, if at all.

Rondo would've been so perfect.

MMM
04-05-2014, 06:53 PM
Don't think Indy has anything the Celtics want baby in a potential trade.

ProfessorMurder
04-05-2014, 06:57 PM

Yeah I know, would've been for just an expiring Granger probably... Which isn't good for the C's. I'd really like to see Rondo in Indy. He'd lead them to the championship and be the vet leader they need.

SHAQisGOAT
04-05-2014, 07:00 PM
Thus far im not sure ive seen a preemptive strike on the obvious rebuttal to a topic work out. And here:

is no exception

"Blah blah blah" it all you want. Bird built a team that took a 66 win defending champ to game 7 in the conference finals. I think his freedom is justified.

This. And that's on a small market. :facepalm :facepalm at OP. I'm sure he knows more than Bird and got info about everything that went down, and so on, though :rolleyes: This dude should be running a team, not former MVP, former coach of the year, former GM of the year, great basketball mind Larry Bird :rolleyes:

cuad
04-05-2014, 07:04 PM
I'd like to put Larry Bird in a cage if you know what I mean. ;]

LAZERUSS
04-05-2014, 07:05 PM
If George Costanza had made it to a Yankee GM, they would still be winning championships...

He had some brilliant trade ideas...

MMM
04-05-2014, 07:20 PM
Yeah I know, would've been for just an expiring Granger probably... Which isn't good for the C's. I'd really like to see Rondo in Indy. He'd lead them to the championship and be the vet leader they need.

As a Celtics fan I want to see him retire a Celtics. He can be a Paul Pierce level franchise player(perennial all star). The Celtics have the pieces to get quality talent around him just not sure if the timing is ideal.

Rondo is in his prime and all the assets or potential assets are a few years away. The market for prime all star players to trade for is uncertain as well.

I really hope we keep Rondo because it is no guarantee that we find a better piece to build around. If we can't keep him than I love to see him go to a great situation.

ILLsmak
04-06-2014, 08:26 AM
Well how many good PGs are there in the NBA that will buy into a system? I'm sure if he could get one, he would...

-Smak

ImKobe
04-06-2014, 08:55 AM
How dare you disrespect Larry Legend like that.

He was a damn good coach & he built this Pacer team. Teams go through tough stretches, but the PG position is not that important on that team really. The problem is that Paul George & Hibbert have both been playing like ass(type roy hibbert into the google search box & you get "overrated") since the all-star break. Pacers are going through a tough stretch, but I think they will come out of it fine.

Hibbert before ASB: 12 & 8 +/- of +17.6, 104 ORTG 93 DRTG
Hibbert after ASB: 10 & 5 +/- of -14.3, 94 ORTG 111 DRTG

It's like he forgot how to play basketball

PG's decline has been big as well, he's shooting 40/35/90 post ASB & he's been passing the ball a lot less. He's however gotten better in the last few games, so let's see if he keeps up.

DMAVS41
04-06-2014, 10:25 AM
CJ Watson I see continues to be one of the most under-rated players here.

He did the same thing for the Bulls. He comes in for like 20 mpg and is part of an elite bench unit and he can also play important moments as well.

He is what the Pacers have been missing lately. Hill and Watson are fine at guard....problem is Watson has been since early March.

SexSymbol
04-06-2014, 11:30 AM
I'd say that Larry Bird is the best basketball mind ever.
Great player, great coach, great executive.

AnaheimLakers24
04-06-2014, 11:33 AM
that white goofy looking retard should of traded grager and hill for rondo

tamaraw08
04-06-2014, 08:20 PM
CJ Watson I see continues to be one of the most under-rated players here.

He did the same thing for the Bulls. He comes in for like 20 mpg and is part of an elite bench unit and he can also play important moments as well.

He is what the Pacers have been missing lately. Hill and Watson are fine at guard....problem is Watson has been since early March.

CJ is a good back up undersized shooting guard which the Pacers don't need. Underrated player? huh, 6 pts at 1.7 assists/game this year, not sure if he is really helping this team at all.

tamaraw08
04-06-2014, 08:23 PM
yeah i'm not reading your crap :facepalm

You read crap before?:oldlol:

Kujo
04-06-2014, 08:28 PM
George Hill is not the answer at the PG, he's a good backup combo guard. This was proven in last years playoffs.

Pacers have to address the PG position in the off-season.

Unbelievable how bad this team is right now. I wouldn't be shocked if they loose to Charlotte in the first round.

Lebron23
04-06-2014, 08:29 PM
http://replygif.net/i/980.gif

http://binaryapi.ap.org/d45b5c5941a84be2bdc3922a332b871b/940x.jpg

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Al-Jefferson-takes-a-preseason-fall..jpeg

DMAVS41
04-06-2014, 08:30 PM
CJ is a good back up undersized shooting guard which the Pacers don't need. Underrated player? huh, 6 pts at 1.7 assists/game this year, not sure if he is really helping this team at all.

Opinions like this are exactly why CJ's 20 minutes per game are so under-rated. Bulls fans thought the same shit...

tamaraw08
04-06-2014, 08:32 PM

Bird should have been creative in terms of involving 1-3 more teams to make it happen, and it doesn't have to be Rondo too, although Rajon would have been perfect IMO.
There's Jameer Nelson, Jarret Jack etc. and it's not like they don't have any trade pieces. Granger is a very good player who is also an expirer. This window in winning the whole thing is very narrow and has a short time limit.
They need ONE piece so I say, trade a future pick/s if you must.

KyrieTheFuture
04-06-2014, 08:40 PM
I've always loved Pacers fans saying all they need is Rondo like acquiring him is an insignificant task. You don't casually trade for all stars.

tamaraw08
04-06-2014, 08:44 PM

is no exception

Like I said great teams tend to play to the level of competition. The 1999-2000 Lakers the first time Shaq, Kobe and Phil teamed up, that was the best team of the season. They were very hungry and focused at first, very deep too that Fisher, HOrry, Rick Fox etc were just back ups. Had the best reg season record and yet was ONE loss away from being eliminated in the FIRST ROUND!!! After that, I think they lost 2 more road games vs the Suns and almost lost if all if not for Portland crumbling in the 4th quarter in game 7.
Let me be clear that I like Indiana to win, Im just pointing the obvious and it's not like they don't have any $, they used it on another scoring pg in CJ and a backup PF center in Scola.