PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR: John Calipari Next Lakers Head Coach?!

IllegalD
04-07-2014, 08:57 PM
Rex Chapman ‏@rexchapman 1h
Was messin' 'round on Sat nite re: Cal. But word is - win or lose 2nite - it's a #DoneDeal ...Cal 2 La-La-Land 2 coach Mamba's Lakers. #NoBS

Rex Chapman ‏@rexchapman 25m
I don't live in some dream world & have alwys called it straight. Alwys will. Let's not 4get, 6-wks ago many in BBN would've walked Cal 2 LA

https://twitter.com/rexchapman

:eek:

AnaheimLakers24
04-07-2014, 09:01 PM
what type of offense does he run

Lakers Legend#32
04-07-2014, 09:02 PM
Something stupid I would expect from Jim Buss.

Budadiiii
04-07-2014, 09:02 PM
Fish out of water.

LAClipsFan33
04-07-2014, 09:03 PM
what type of offense does he run

Street ball. They might as well have Nick Young play point

AnaheimLakers24
04-07-2014, 09:04 PM
will lakers be chucking 3s like stupid ass college teams?

sammichoffate
04-07-2014, 09:04 PM
http://cdn.niketalk.com/f/f7/f73e7aa8_1338526_o.gif

navy
04-07-2014, 09:13 PM
Dantoni is staying.

senelcoolidge
04-07-2014, 09:14 PM
Buss loves D' Anotoni. But this sounds like another desperate laker move..I hope they do it because it will be a disaster. Calipari is not NBA material..he sucked hard last time he was in the league. It's a whole different ball game.

Derka
04-07-2014, 09:18 PM
Calipari has a great thing going at UK.

Coaching a revolving door of 1-and-done talent for the NBA > rebuilding with aging vets in a massive, hyper-scrutinized media market.

HOoopCityJones
04-07-2014, 09:21 PM
Buss loves D' Anotoni. But this sounds like another desperate laker move..I hope they do it because it will be a disaster. Calipari is not NBA material..he sucked hard last time he was in the league. It's a whole different ball game.

You sound terrified. :oldlol:

Jameerthefear
04-07-2014, 09:23 PM
Lol. Have fun. L.A. stay losing and Magic stay winning :lol
Good shit.

christian1923
04-07-2014, 09:23 PM
will lakers be chucking 3s like stupid ass college teams?
Unless you have a great PG or Big man it's hard to get in the paint in the college game with all the zone.

HOoopCityJones
04-07-2014, 09:31 PM
Good shit.

When did this happen? :roll:

senelcoolidge
04-07-2014, 09:32 PM
You sound terrified. :oldlol:

Terrified..nope. Actually let the lakers do it..it would be funnnny. :lol

EricGordon23
04-07-2014, 09:34 PM
Anthony davis to the lakers

Darius
04-07-2014, 09:35 PM
How is going to use his biggest skill (recruiting) in NBA?

Xiao Yao You
04-07-2014, 09:44 PM
Jim Buss! :roll:

Jameerthefear
04-07-2014, 09:46 PM
When did this happen? :roll:
The last time I took a good shit? Couple of hours ago.

coin24
04-07-2014, 09:59 PM
Good shit.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Magic stay bottom feeding forever
No titles and the lakers big man training ground, thanks losers:cheers:

Bosnian Sajo
04-07-2014, 10:54 PM
The last time I took a good shit? Couple of hours ago.

Hilarious..

The-Legend-24
04-07-2014, 10:56 PM
Legit have no idea who the fvck he is.

Deuce Bigalow
04-07-2014, 11:02 PM
Fredo Buss

DonDadda59
04-07-2014, 11:08 PM
I have no idea why a college coach, especially on the level of Calipari, would want to leave College for the NBA. They're basically dictators and living Gods on their campuses. They have all the power, can recruit whoever they want. For Cal it wouldn't be the money either. He made $5.5 million this year and stands to make another $650K or so if he wins tonight. Mike D'Antoni made $6 mil this year and will be kicked to the curb in a few weeks.

gts
04-08-2014, 12:07 AM
I seriously doubt this is true... sounds like BS

magnax1
04-08-2014, 12:08 AM
John Calipari can't do anything special as a coach except recruit. This isn't college. Keep him out of here.

JimmyMcAdocious
04-08-2014, 12:12 AM
This is great news! Oh wait, there's a salary cap in the NBA? Nevermind.

christian1923
04-08-2014, 12:14 AM
John Calipari can't do anything special as a coach except recruit. This isn't college. Keep him out of here.
He gets five freshman to the final four and he can't do anything special as a coach? :oldlol:

zoom17
04-08-2014, 12:17 AM
Legit have no idea who the fvck he is.

how old are you:biggums:

(e)
04-08-2014, 12:21 AM
Wouldn't surprise me. Cal said he wouldn't be at Kentucky for 10 years, and he wants a life after coaching.

He's been at Kentucky for 5 years now, a trip back to the NBA before retiring wouldn't surprise me at all.

magnax1
04-08-2014, 12:23 AM
He gets five freshman to the final four and he can't do anything special as a coach? :oldlol:
This is one of the more retarded things Ive read on here
1-Its the NCAA tournament. Its a shit show that completely depends on luck. You don't get the best team when you have to win every game to get there.
2-He's got 3 god damn expected first round draft picks. Five freshman means absolutely jack shit
3-His god damn offensive "Dribble Drive Motion" Offense is basically built around a drive and kick. Is that supposed to be revolutionary or thoughtful? A god damn kindergartner could run it. If he tried to run it in the NBA it'd be pathetic.

(e)
04-08-2014, 12:26 AM
1-Its the NCAA tournament. Its a shit show that completely depends on luck. You don't get the best team when you have to win every game to get there.
2-He's got 3 god damn expected first round draft picks. Five freshman means absolutely jack shit
3-His god damn offensive "Dribble Drive Motion" Offense is basically built around a drive and kick. Is that supposed to be revolutionary or thoughtful? A god damn kindergartner could run it. If he tried to run it in the NBA it'd be pathetic.
Trying to compare a college offense to the NBA? Now that's retarded.

magnax1
04-08-2014, 12:28 AM
Trying to compare a college offense to the NBA? Now that's retarded.
College offenses get run in the NBA all the time. Just not retarded shit like "The dribble drive offense"

The-Legend-24
04-08-2014, 12:30 AM
how old are you:biggums:
Had to google his name. College ball coach, no wonder I had no idea who he was I don't watch that lame shit.

NoGunzJustSkillz
04-08-2014, 12:31 AM
6-wks ago many in BBN would've walked Cal 2 LA

what does this mean?

hawksdogsbraves
04-08-2014, 12:31 AM
Cal's best attribute as a coach is managing ego's. Sound like anyone we know?

christian1923
04-08-2014, 12:33 AM
1. I guess he's been lucky four times :facepalm
2. Yeah the freshman are good. But nobody is doing it. Look at who bill self was working with and he couldn't get it done. Beating pitinos team and Wisconsin that was filled with upperclassman with freshman is pretty damn impressive.
3. Yeah obviously you have to keep your offense simple when you're working with a new starting lineup every year. I'm sure if his teams had more stability he would be able to work some more sets in his gameplan. He even said at the beggining of the year he was trying to do to much with his offense and that's why they struggled. But once he simplified it his kids took off.

"Five freshman means absolutely jackshit" lmao get out of this thread, you don't belong here.

hawksdogsbraves
04-08-2014, 12:33 AM
what does this mean?

Six weeks ago, (when Kentucky was playing horribly, losing to teams like South Carolina and Arkansas) many in Big Blue Nation, (Kentucky fans) would have happily driven Calipari to Los Angeles to be the Lakers coach so that he would leave the school.

It's completely false, people were pissed that they were playing so bad but the man has been the best coach in the nation, (by far) over the past 5 years and he wasn't going to get run out of town.

NoGunzJustSkillz
04-08-2014, 12:44 AM
Six weeks ago, (when Kentucky was playing horribly, losing to teams like South Carolina and Arkansas) many in Big Blue Nation, (Kentucky fans) would have happily driven Calipari to Los Angeles to be the Lakers coach so that he would leave the school.

It's completely false, people were pissed that they were playing so bad but the man has been the best coach in the nation, (by far) over the past 5 years and he wasn't going to get run out of town.
:cheers:

magnax1
04-08-2014, 12:44 AM
1. I guess he's been lucky four times :facepalm
You actually believe the best team wins in the NCAA tournament?
:biggums:

2. Yeah the freshman are good. But nobody is doing it. Look at who bill self was working with and he couldn't get it done. Beating pitinos team and Wisconsin that was filled with upperclassman with freshman is pretty damn impressive.
Nobody does it because there aren't a lot of teams with 5 freshman. That's all the guy really does. He brings in a new batch of stars every year. I mean, weren't 4 of the starters on the Anthony Davis team Freshman? At least three on Wall's team too.

3. Yeah obviously you have to keep your offense simple when you're working with a new starting lineup every year. I'm sure if his teams had more stability he would be able to work some more sets in his gameplan. He even said at the beggining of the year he was trying to do to much with his offense and that's why they struggled. But once he simplified it his kids took off.
Not sure I agree with that. I will say it'd be tougher to build an offense when he's playing 18 19 year olds every year.

NoGunzJustSkillz
04-08-2014, 12:46 AM
Serena Winters @SerenaWinters
Follow
Calipari on latest Lakers rumor "I'm not even going to dignify that stuff." (On @espn)
11:53 PM - 7 Apr 2014

Cal after the game.

christian1923
04-08-2014, 12:56 AM
You actually believe the best team wins in the NCAA tournament?

Nobody does it because there aren't a lot of teams with 5 freshman. That's all the guy really does. He brings in a new batch of stars every year. I mean, weren't 4 of the starters on the Anthony Davis team Freshman? At least three on Wall's team too.

Not sure I agree with that. I will say it'd be tougher to build an offense when he's playing 18 19 year olds every year.
1. No not at all, but to get to four final fours is impressive. It's past luck at that point.

2. Yeah you're making my point. He's had his teams right there with a bunch of inexperienced freshman albeit very talented. Teams that win usually have lots of upperclassman. Look at both uconn teams, Louisville, duke, Kansas, UNC. All those teams had star juniors or seniors. I don't think you can dismiss the fact that he's basically free throws away from three national titles with freshman led teams. He's doing something right with his teams.

3. Yeah there's no stability, it's tough to build a fluid offense every year working with new talent. He has to build his offense every to accommodate his new recruits. That's not easy but he makes it work.

You talk to trainers in football or basketball and they say they rather work with young kids or mature college kids or pros and that hate working with high school kids and star College freshman because they all think they know it all and don't want to learn or be coached. I think it's amazing how he's able to do it every year with a bunch of pre madonnas.

ralph_i_el
04-08-2014, 01:01 AM
pre madonnas.

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b619/alex_mcdonald2/sammcassell_zps8c7225b5.jpg (http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/alex_mcdonald2/media/sammcassell_zps8c7225b5.jpg.html)

prima donna= leading lady in Itallian

bdreason
04-08-2014, 02:56 AM
College coaches make great NBA coaches! Go Lakers!

poido123
04-08-2014, 03:23 AM
Good shit.

Milbuck
04-08-2014, 03:25 AM
**** Calipari, and **** Kentucky.

wakencdukest
04-08-2014, 08:03 AM
Good shit.

You sound pretty happy. Wait, you actually believe this shit?

AirFederer
04-08-2014, 08:18 AM
There were some rumours about Sidney Lowe and/or Kurt Rambis.

:banana:

ZenMaster
04-08-2014, 08:34 AM
College offenses get run in the NBA all the time. Just not retarded shit like "The dribble drive offense"

Every single NBA team does offense that coincides with the principles of the dribble drive.

tamaraw08
04-08-2014, 11:07 AM
https://twitter.com/rexchapman

:eek:

I thought April fools was a week ago?:confusedshrug:

tamaraw08
04-08-2014, 11:09 AM
There were some rumours about Sidney Lowe and/or Kurt Rambis.

:banana:
OMG who loves to draw plays EVERY time out when he as coaching the Grizz?
:facepalm :facepalm

ralph_i_el
04-08-2014, 11:50 AM
Calipari won't come back to the nba until half the league went to Kentucky. Then he will propagate the ultimate Heat-style collusion and have a team with like 6 all stars

NoGunzJustSkillz
04-08-2014, 01:04 PM
i always bring it up, but what about byron scott? it was etched in stone that he would coach kobe bryant at some point. kobe used to refer to scott as his mentor.

hawksdogsbraves
04-08-2014, 01:24 PM
It seems to me that the Lakers want a celebrity coach. It makes sense, since the coach of the Lakers is going to face 10x more scrutiny than any other coach in this league other than whoever is coaching the Knicks.

I think Cal could be a good NBA coach, he's great at managing egos, but in that respect he's more like Phil and needs a pre-assembled team. I don't know that he's the guy to put in charge of rebuilding this Lakers team, even if it's supposed to be a quick turnaround.

aboss4real24
04-08-2014, 01:25 PM
y would he Coach that trash ass team with a old ball hogging star who is dam near 40?

fiddy
04-08-2014, 01:30 PM
y would he Coach that trash ass team with a old ball hogging star who is dam near 40?
very manly font color

Genaro
04-08-2014, 01:41 PM
That means we're taking Randle?
Hope they know what they're doing.

Nash
04-08-2014, 01:49 PM
I have no idea why coaches don't leave for the pros. College will always be there waiting for you. It's like going being unwanted in the NBA but wanted in the Euroleague.

MMM
04-08-2014, 02:46 PM
That means we're taking Randle?
Hope they know what they're doing.

Randle might not even be there when the Lakers pick.

hawksdogsbraves
04-08-2014, 03:52 PM
I have no idea why coaches don't leave for the pros. College will always be there waiting for you. It's like going being unwanted in the NBA but wanted in the Euroleague.

I mean they do a lot of times. I think it's more that NBA GM's prefer guys with NBA backgrounds most of the time. Brad Stevens was the hottest young coach in the NCAA and he got hired away, Billy Donovan signed with the Magic but backed out, and Cal has obviously already done a stint in the Association. I think you'll see Bill Self in the NBA pretty soon, along with a return by Cal and maybe Billy Donovan too.

Coach K is the really big name who never made the jump, but even he flirted with the Lakers a couple of times.

It's like with football, the really great coaches are going to want to go up against the best of the best to prove themselves, and the best of the best are in the NBA.