PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Player of the Year

Spaulding
04-12-2014, 12:05 PM
We know Hibbert is not going to win the award so who will?

Legends66NBA7
04-12-2014, 12:08 PM
Either Noah or Jordan.

Don't think a wing player will get it.

JimmyMcAdocious
04-12-2014, 12:09 PM
Beverley, Harden, or Noah.

navy
04-12-2014, 12:11 PM
Noah will clearly win the award.

Spaulding
04-12-2014, 12:17 PM
Ya I was thinking Noah of Bev are most deserving

Would give to Noah personally.

BlackVVaves
04-12-2014, 12:21 PM
LoL at the notion that Dwight deserves DPOY. Based on what exactly? The Rockets are a middle of the pack defensive team.

Anthony Davis has had a much wider impact on his team's defense this year, and as a sophomore he has to play with a crew of incompetent defenders.

But he wouldn't get my vote either just because of the Pelicans woeful defensive stats. No, I'd have to give it to Noah without a doubt.

All Net
04-12-2014, 12:21 PM
Noah

cos88
04-12-2014, 12:25 PM
noah will win it, if lebron played the same D as last year he would be DPOY.

livinglegend
04-12-2014, 12:26 PM
Noah will probably win it, but let s be real, the media members that will be voting for him have watched 4-5 Bulls games max. this season. They are voting for him because 1. he is a big man 2. on a great defensive team. You need these 2 things to win the DPOY these days.
Also, most the members on this forum who are saying Noah have watched 2-3 Bulls games max.

:facepalm

aj1987
04-12-2014, 12:26 PM
James Harden.

Rocketswin2013
04-12-2014, 12:28 PM
LoL at the notion that Dwight deserves DPOY. Based on what exactly? The Rockets are a middle of the pack defensive team.

Anthony Davis has had a much wider impact on his team's defense this year, and as a sophomore he has to play with a crew of incompetent defenders.

But he wouldn't get my vote either just because of the Pelicans woeful defensive stats. No, I'd have to give it to Noah without a doubt.
Middle of the pack? They were ranked 9th. And since he went down they've given up 120.1 PPG. I don't think people realize Howard joined a team with no good defensive players last season and made them top ten.

Put Howard on the Pacers or Bulls and he'd easily make them the best defensive team in the NBA and it wouldn't be close.

navy
04-12-2014, 12:30 PM
Middle of the pack? They were ranked 9th. And since he went down they've given up 120.1 PPG. I don't think people realize Howard joined a team with no good defensive players last season and made them top ten.

Put Howard on the Pacers or Bulls and he'd easily make them the best defensive team in the NBA and it wouldn't be close.
This. That being said good defenders on bad defensive teams will always be overlooked. We can talk hypotheticals all we want, but Noah is clearly getting this award after Hibbert's collapse.

Spaulding
04-12-2014, 12:30 PM
noah will win it, if lebron played the same D as last year he would be DPOY.

Exactly. This year he had a great chance but his D has been far from elite.

navy
04-12-2014, 12:32 PM
Lol DPOY will go to players who have great defenders and not players who make defenders around them great. Joke.
The Rockets play at way too fast a pace I might add. People look at PPG more than FG percentage.

livinglegend
04-12-2014, 12:33 PM
Lol DPOY will go to players who have great defenders and not players who make defenders around them great. Joke.

Nothing new. It goes to the big man in the great defensive team. Take Noah away and Bulls would still be one of the best defensive teams in the league. Put Howard or Marc Gasol or Jordan with the Bulls, they give to Howard/Gasol/Jordan. This award sucks.

BTW, Noah s DPOY campaign started after he started to play great offensively. He had those triple double games and boom, people were like: Lets reward him with DPOY! He cant win MVP, let s give him DPOY instead. ahahhahha.
Yeah joke.

Railgun
04-12-2014, 12:37 PM
honestly, i don't think dwight has given 100% effort defensively this season. he needs to pick it up in the playoffs.

livinglegend
04-12-2014, 12:39 PM
honestly, i don't think dwight has given 100% effort defensively this season. he needs to pick it up in the playoffs.

STFU, you have watched 3-4 Rockets games max.

Nikola_
04-12-2014, 12:39 PM
Leonard

Rocketswin2013
04-12-2014, 12:40 PM
Yeah that's one thing about him I hate. If he doesn't get the ball for a stretch he'll stop giving af on D.

Railgun
04-12-2014, 12:43 PM
STFU, you have watched 3-4 Rockets games max.
no... i have watched around 40-50. imo they need him more defensively then offensively. he tends to pick it up in the 4th q and in games vs. other contenders though.

Legends66NBA7
04-12-2014, 12:44 PM
Nothing new. It goes to the big man in the great defensive team. Take Noah away and Bulls would still be one of the best defensive teams in the league. Put Howard or Marc Gasol or Jordan with the Bulls, they give to Howard/Gasol/Jordan. This award sucks.

BTW, Noah s DPOY campaign started after he started to play great offensively. He had those triple double games and boom, people were like: Lets reward him with DPOY! He cant win MVP, let s give him DPOY instead. ahahhahha.
Yeah joke.

Then who deserves DPOY ?

Uncle Drew
04-12-2014, 12:47 PM
Yeah joke.
LMFAO

chazzy
04-12-2014, 12:48 PM
Then who deserves DPOY ?
Lebron because of dat versatilililility

WallIn
04-12-2014, 12:49 PM
Noah

livinglegend
04-12-2014, 12:49 PM
Lebron because of dat versatilililility

No, Lebron doesnt deserve it. He was average defensively this year.

steve
04-12-2014, 12:59 PM
If Bogut, Iguodala, or Leonard had played more games then I'd definitely have no problem with them winning the award.

Also, Noah started to get more attention for Defensive Player of the Year when offensive numbers started to pick up because the Bulls started winning. If Noah doesn't become more of a lynch pin to their offense, there's a good chance the Bulls might not even be in the playoffs right now. Even so, his defense didn't drop at all with increased offensive production.

sd3035
04-12-2014, 01:05 PM
Durant deserves it

Artillery
04-12-2014, 01:33 PM
Noah's Def RAPM numbers are mediocre for someone that's supposed to be DPOY. Hell, he's not even the best defender on his own team.

Rose'sACL
04-12-2014, 01:35 PM
Noah's Def RAPM numbers are mediocre for someone that's supposed to be DPOY. Hell, he's not even the best defender on his own team.
defensive stats are pretty much always at least partially wrong.

navy
04-12-2014, 01:43 PM
Nobody gives a **** about defense stats. Team defense is all that matters these days. Rotating, closeouts, double teams, etc. You can hide bad defenders and overshadow good ones.

Legends66NBA7
04-12-2014, 01:46 PM
Nobody gives a **** about defense stats.

Dwight Howard, Dikemebe Mutombo, Ben Wallace...

All those guys won DPOY at least 3 times, combined 11 times, because of their individual defensive stats in rebounding and shot blocking. That along with their team stats and opposing fg% allowed.

Noah and Jordan should be the top candidates.

navy
04-12-2014, 01:47 PM
Dwight Howard, Dikemebe Mutombo, Ben Wallace...

All those guys won DPOY at least 3 times, combined 11 times, because of their individual defensive stats in rebounding and shot blocking. That along with their team stats and opposing fg% allowed.

Noah and Jordan should be the top candidates.
I meant advanced d stats. Should have clarified.

Legends66NBA7
04-12-2014, 01:51 PM
I meant advanced d stats. Should have clarified.

True.

Just took a glance at Noah and Jordan's advanced metrics, both are leading their respective defensive criteria for their teams anyways (Defensive Rating within their team and lineups and defensive win shares; not that I use them for my criteria). Not going to really bother with RAPM or Real +/-. I think the voting won't really come down to many of these advanced stats.