PDA

View Full Version : Is Kobe's contract justified?

Connor B
04-15-2014, 04:35 AM
I say from a pure basketball point of you, **** no. He should be making 16 million a year the most for what he brings to the floor itself, and that's me being generous.

BUT from a marketing standpoint, its probably fair. This guy sells out crowds and helped land the Lakers that billion dollar TV deal. He is box office more than almost anyone in history.

What you say, ISH?

navy
04-15-2014, 04:37 AM
You answered the question in your own thread.

For what he is worth as a player compared to other players? Hell no.

For what he is worth to the franchise? Hell yes.

oarabbus
04-15-2014, 04:39 AM
I say from a pure basketball point of you, **** no. He should be making 16 million a year the most for what he brings to the floor itself, and that's me being generous.

BUT from a marketing standpoint, its probably fair. This guy sells out crowds and helped land the Lakers that billion dollar TV deal. He is box office more than almost anyone in history.

What you say, ISH?

Wow, everything in this Connor B post is correct. That's strange :eek:

Also, this is the same reason that people ragging on Jeremy Lin's contract just don't get it. The NBA and its teams are a business first and foremost. And a sound business decision is one that makes the team a profit.

Number24
04-15-2014, 04:45 AM
Can't argue with facts.

And there are only two realities left to choose from...
Let go of Kobe and you let go half the fans that's watching Lakers Basketball live and on TV. :no:
You keep him and you keep half the talent the franchise would have acquired with his BIG contract. :facepalm

SpanishACB
04-15-2014, 04:47 AM
except no one is watching the lakers anymore?

Vienceslav
04-15-2014, 04:50 AM
Oh please, Jordan was making 30 mil in 98, which is 44 now, it's not Kobe's fault the players got shafted in the last CBA(or is it, I remember he was doing some shady stuff to end the lockout early).:lol

BlackWhiteGreen
04-15-2014, 04:55 AM
You can't just look at it $ for $ though - yeah he probably brings in $30m to the franchise, but then there's the cap and luxury tax penalties to think of. So no, there really is only 2 players in the league who can realistically be worth that kind of money, and neither of them are Kobe.

Number24
04-15-2014, 05:00 AM
You say that then imagine Kobe leaving the team.:( :( :(

DetroitPistonFan
04-15-2014, 05:03 AM
That's because Kobe isn't playing. :facepalm

T_L_P
04-15-2014, 05:07 AM
Kobe deserves every penny he gets. He just can't go around saying all he cares about is ring number six.

salwan
04-15-2014, 07:51 AM
Im sure he's playing on his kobepiano right now.

IGOTGAME
04-15-2014, 07:53 AM
If that is the case then he was underpaid for the majority of his career. from 2003-2010 he should have been making 50 million per season. Collective bargaining agreement underpays guy like Kobe.

JohnFreeman
04-15-2014, 07:58 AM
Kobe deserves every penny he gets. He just can't go around saying all he cares about is ring number six.
This. If I hear him bitching about another ring.

Xiao Yao You
04-15-2014, 08:01 AM
no

f0und
04-15-2014, 11:21 AM
Oh please, Jordan was making 30 mil in 98, which is 44 now, it's not Kobe's fault the players got shafted in the last CBA(or is it, I remember he was doing some shady stuff to end the lockout early).:lol

like all things in the mj/kobe debate, this is not even comparable. jordan was coming off a CHAMPIONSHIP season and poised to make another title run. kobe was coming off a first round sweep and an achilles injury and absolutely no chance to be a contending team.

jordan was also criminally underpaid for most of his career. before jordan, the bulls were nothing. after jordan, they're still barely anything. jordan made that franchise. they rode his back on his back for cheap. kobe was fortunate to play for the lakers. they made kobe what he is today. big difference.

DMV2
04-15-2014, 11:30 AM
Players should thank Jordan, otherwise guys like Kobe would still be making $3-4 million a year.

Oh, yeah. two $30-33 mill seasons for Jordan came with two championships. Kobe $30 mill this season for 6 games played.

ralph_i_el
04-15-2014, 11:35 AM
You answered the question in your own thread.

For what he is worth as a player compared to other players? Hell no.

For what he is worth to the franchise? Hell yes.

you can pay kobe whatever you want once he's retired for his contribution to the franchise. Hell, give him a job in the front office with as much responsibility as he wants.

HOWEVER, paying him this contract when it impacts your salary cap is absolutely ****ing retarded. He's untradeable and eating up a third of the cap on a rebuilding team for the next 2 years :facepalm

BlackVVaves
04-15-2014, 12:06 PM

Yup

J Shuttlesworth
04-15-2014, 12:25 PM
I'd say when you've done what he's done for a franchise, you can deserve that pay. He has to be open to the fact that they can't win with that contract and accept it. If he cared about winning more, he would've taken less pay

BBallZen83
04-15-2014, 12:30 PM
Pretty much agree with OP. From a marketing standpoint, totally worth it. From a winning standpoint, not so much.

Maybe Kobe just sees the writing on the wall. The Lakers aren't winning Chips any time soon, so might as well cash in until retirement.

I mean even if he did take a pay cut, it would still probably take time to get to another championship, and with his age and wear, who knows where he would be at that point.

NoGunzJustSkillz
04-15-2014, 01:41 PM
Lakers weren't going to magically put together a championship team this off-season. So who cares how much Kobe makes. If he gets paid 30 mill, he only brings home half of that. When his contract comes off the books, Lakers will be in prime position (again) to make a major impact during free agency. I just hope they don't trade this years draft pick for Love. Lakers need to be patient and realistic during this rebuild.