PDA

View Full Version : Billups a Nugget ?!?!?!?

Pyro
03-10-2007, 05:29 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_5390442

When you're the No. 1 free agent on the NBA market, the recruiting pitches start early, in earnest, from everywhere.

If the Pistons aren't real careful, they are going to lose all-star guard Chauncey Billups after this season. And smart, worried folks in Detroit know it.

"People have been killing me," said Billups, who must chuckle whenever loyalty is mentioned in regard to pro sports. "Teachers are coming up to my wife at school and asking: 'Are you going to leave town? You can't leave the Pistons!"'

OK, let's get one thing straight.

Billups, most valuable player of the 2004 NBA Finals, loves Detroit.

But Billups would be a bull-headed, na

AI Nuggets3
03-10-2007, 05:37 PM
our defense would still suck and i also posted this yesterday (to a great audience i may add)

fatboy11
03-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Doesn't sound like he is really considering it to me..........

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070310/SPORTS03/703100362/1051

JSub
03-10-2007, 05:54 PM
Riiiight. Two all-star PGs (because one aint enough) and Melo. That's going to work out. :rollingeyes:

CakeorDeath
03-10-2007, 06:05 PM
WOW! if that happens I smell a Championship in Denver

That's what they said when AI came to the team...

No way this happens, for several reasons:

1. As the article said, Denver's cap space situation is so deplorable that they can't bring in Billups on his own, they must send players to Detroit for him, which brings us to...

2. Denver has nothing to give Detroit that would make this deal worth it to them. Camby? Nene? Why would Detroit sacrifice their All-NBA point guard to shore up positions that don't need shoring up? Especially with two players that aren't exactly the epitome of durability, both of whom are vastly overpaid. Detroit wouldn't give 55 million to Okur; why would they give 60 million to Nene?

3. I don't care if it is for Chauncey Billups, Denver can't afford to trade away the little size they do have for a small. Stellar backcourt or not, if you try to roll in the West with your only veritable big being either the no-defense Nene or the no offense Camby, you will get eaten alive. The Suns can get away with it (though so far not in the playoffs), but as we've seen the last two months, the Nugs are not the Suns.

4. Denver already has chemistry issues trying to implement two superstars into the same system. Why bring in a third when two is already too many?

I'd hate this if I was a Denver fan. As a Jazz fan, I'm all for it.

boozehound
03-10-2007, 06:58 PM
yeah I dont see this working out for the cap reasons mentioned above. Either Denver gives up all its potential good youngs (SMith, Diawara, Kleiza) and some filler (najera?) or they are staring Kmart and Nene. Although I am worried about losing billups, I doubt its to the nugs even if thats what billups wants.

Ianou
03-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Having Billups, Melo and the Answer all on the same team would never work. Billups wouldn't be able to shoot because the other 2 would never pass and whenever Billups would get the ball he wouldn't pass because the other 2 are hoggers.

different107
03-10-2007, 10:19 PM
Having Billups, Melo and the Answer all on the same team would never work. Billups wouldn't be able to shoot because the other 2 would never pass and whenever Billups would get the ball he wouldn't pass because the other 2 are hoggers.

I agree. All three of them need to ball to make something happen. It wouldn't work.

Ianou
03-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Besides, AI is at the tail end of his career. Yea, he has a few years left but he will never but the star he was with the 76ers. The 76ers got the best out of that deal simply because now they can focus on making Iggy their star player.

mhsbasketball
03-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Nuggets should have never traded for A.I, and should have waited and signed billups as a FA

Moose
03-10-2007, 11:44 PM
The only way Denver could get Billups is by trading for him. The Pistons must trade either Camby, K-Mart or Nene. And who do you think the Pistons would take?

Pistons would take Camby, JR Smith, Blake and some picks for Billups and Flip Murray (if he doesn't opt out)... thats the only way i can see Big Shot Billups in a Nuggets uniform again.

Nilocon165
04-12-2016, 07:30 PM
He retired already ya dingus