PDA

View Full Version : Stephen A says Lebron most important athlete in sports

JT123
04-15-2014, 03:46 PM
Just saw it on First Take's twitter page. :bowdown: Stephen A is a man who knows what he is talking about. And don't try to accuse him of being a Lebron fan boy either, cause Stephen A is more of a Kobe fan than a Lebron fan. Some people just have to acknowledge greatness when they see it. :rockon:

IncarceratedBob
04-15-2014, 03:46 PM
Currently? He probably is.

Weak era for important sports athletes.

STATUTORY
04-15-2014, 03:48 PM
SAS trying to ingratiate himself to Bran

dude's entire career is based of riding coattails and being part of the entourage

he will start bran in favor of the next superstar when the situation serves him

SHABBA
04-15-2014, 03:48 PM
I'd have to say Rashard Lewis.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-15-2014, 03:49 PM
Why is he the "most important athlete in sports"? Because Stephen A. Smith said so?

CelticBaller
04-15-2014, 03:50 PM
ok goran

Bandito
04-15-2014, 03:51 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1gUlwhQt7XM/UNgdm_jYIrI/AAAAAAAABYE/sW0yJfnMWmw/s1600/LeBron-James-4th-quarter-meme.jpg

Rose'sACL
04-15-2014, 03:54 PM
as much as i hate to admit it but he did make the ratings go up for last year's final even though 2 mid-small market teams were playing and finals with spurs have had poor ratings because casuals think they are boring.
I think last year's finals was the second most watched since jordan retired only coming second to celtics-lakers finals.
Thunder-pacers or spurs-pacers finals would probably have half of those ratings.

JT123
04-15-2014, 03:54 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1gUlwhQt7XM/UNgdm_jYIrI/AAAAAAAABYE/sW0yJfnMWmw/s1600/LeBron-James-4th-quarter-meme.jpg
:oldlol: Soooooooo 2011! You can do better than that.

riseagainst
04-15-2014, 03:55 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

J Shuttlesworth
04-15-2014, 03:56 PM
That actually made me laugh :lol Very unusual for a Bandito post

red1
04-15-2014, 03:57 PM
spo's face is what makes this hilarious :lol

sportjames23
04-15-2014, 03:57 PM
Why is he the "most important athlete in sports"? Because Stephen A. Smith said so?

Right? Stephen A. says a lot of shit. Is his word law now?

riseagainst
04-15-2014, 03:59 PM
funny. If SAS said something positive about Kobe, OP would call SAS an idiot.

red1
04-15-2014, 03:59 PM
funny. If SAS said something positive about Kobe, OP would call SAS an idiot.
as would I :pimp:

JT123
04-15-2014, 04:02 PM
No, it's because every sports fan in America cares about EVERYTHING the guy says or does. I've never seen an athlete spark so much butt hurt in so many people with just one sentence. Last year all he said was he thought he should be defensive player of the year, and EVERY non Heat fan instantly lost their mind! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Do you honestly believe Kobe or Durant making a statement like that would inspire such butt hurt and emotion? :no: Lebron even got people to watch a Finals series involving the Spurs for crying out loud. :pimp:

Solefade
04-15-2014, 04:04 PM
No, it's because every sports fan in America cares about EVERYTHING the guy says or does. I've never seen an athlete spark so much butt hurt in so many people with just one sentence. Last year all he said was he thought he should be defensive player of the year, and EVERY non Heat fan instantly lost their mind! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Do you honestly believe Kobe or Durant making a statement like that would inspire such butt hurt and emotion? :no: Lebron even got people to watch a Finals series involving the Spurs for crying out loud. :pimp:

this is very true, the media and the haters make a big deal out of what lebron eats for breakfast...honestly the league generates a lot more media attention when lebron and the heat are failing, can't really say that about any other athlete

russwest0
04-15-2014, 04:08 PM
stopped reading/caring at "Stephen A"

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-15-2014, 04:11 PM

Popular and important are two different things, people :oldlol:

Nothing you said above makes him "important"

Batz
04-15-2014, 04:11 PM
What does any of this have to do with importance? The criteria should be set upon that which athlete is the market most dependent on. Not if they talk about him a lot.

I agree that he is a vital athlete on a global scale, but not because there are a lot of 'haters' and 'stans'.

Exactly.

ArbitraryWater
04-15-2014, 04:12 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll:

bdreason
04-15-2014, 04:12 PM
His argument was terrible. What does LeBron do outside of Basketball? Samsung commercials? :oldlol:

aboss4real24
04-15-2014, 04:14 PM
His argument was terrible. What does LeBron do outside of Basketball? Samsung commercials? :oldlol:

Invest in professional teams, Visit schools, donate to children in need,.......

Rose'sACL
04-15-2014, 04:15 PM

magic and bird were more important than legends who played before them because they gave life to the league. Same with Jordan. The guy is hated by so many and liked by so many at the same time that i don't think anyone other than Jordan would have made spurs-heat finals one of the most watched if he played for a small market team.

Batz
04-15-2014, 04:16 PM
He's an athlete. Classifying him as important athlete would mean he is a vital figure to the sport... Which would primarily be basketball.

Amri? He's important because he is a representation of the game of basketball. Also, he's African American (gasp), which also makes him a representation of that group to the public market. There are other factors of course, but I'm too lazy to list them. Lebron is an important athlete. Everything he does is then reflected into the open market, and he does have an affect on it.

kennethgriffin
04-15-2014, 04:17 PM

dude's entire career is based of riding coattails and being part of the entourage

somebodies been watching empire of the sun lately

Ronaldinho
04-15-2014, 04:42 PM
Nowadays, in US sports, he probably is. Outside US, soccer players will always be bigger the US stars.

Anyway, how big is mayweather in US? Everyone stop to see his fights?

KyrieTheFuture
04-15-2014, 05:09 PM
Nowadays, in US sports, he probably is. Outside US, soccer players will always be bigger the US stars.

Anyway, how big is mayweather in US? Everyone stop to see his fights?
Boxing just isn't popular in the US anymore for some reason

sammichoffate
04-15-2014, 05:27 PM
Boxing just isn't popular in the US anymore for some reasonBecause Mayweather v. Pacquiao will never happen :lol

RoundMoundOfReb
04-15-2014, 06:35 PM
He is. Who else has a case? Floyd Mayweather, maybe?

Solefade
04-15-2014, 06:38 PM
a case can definitely be made for Tiger Woods

Ronaldinho
04-15-2014, 06:40 PM
a case can definitely be made for Tiger Woods
Why? Do people really watch golf?

Solefade
04-15-2014, 06:43 PM
Why? Do people really watch golf?

Tiger Woods wis arguably one of the most popular/richest athletes...he's the MJ/face of golf...he made golf cool

NumberSix
04-15-2014, 07:07 PM
Obvi

tmacattack33
04-15-2014, 07:13 PM
NBA Ratings were through the roof in 2011 (Lebron's first year in Miami) for the whole year.

I haven't checked the ratings much since then, but i believe they are still pretty high (i'm sure Miami regular season games don't get nearly the ratings they did during 2011, but their big playoff games still do).

So, it is very true...one man had a huge impact on the popularity of one of the three major sports league's in this country.

And I can't think of a single NFL player who did the same for the NFL, as the NFL gets ratings regardless...and I can't think of any MLB player who did the same for baseball since Mguire and Sosa were chasing history in 1998.

TheWalkman
04-15-2014, 07:24 PM
Tiger Woods y'all

Sharmer
04-15-2014, 07:30 PM
Just saw it on First Take's twitter page. :bowdown: Stephen A is a man who knows what he is talking about. And don't try to accuse him of being a Lebron fan boy either, cause Stephen A is more of a Kobe fan than a Lebron fan. Some people just have to acknowledge greatness when they see it. :rockon:

Usain Bolt > Lebron, not even close.

Kingwillball
04-15-2014, 07:37 PM

Are u serious ? A Jamaican runner u see once or twice a year run for 10 seconds over a global superstar ?

RR#9
04-15-2014, 07:37 PM
Are we just ignoring association football or what?

Hoopz2332
04-15-2014, 07:41 PM

Bolt isn't in James league

LeBron James is the Most Popular Western Celebrity on Chinese Social Media

[quote]nfographic: LeBron James is the Most Popular Western Celebrity on Chinese Social Media

Synthesio, a global social-media monitoring company, has created an infographic to tell us who are the top 25 most popular western celebrities on Chinese social media. It listened to the top 50 celebrities from Forbes

Hoopz2332
04-15-2014, 07:42 PM
LeBron named AP Athlete of the Year

James was announced Thursday as The Associated Press' 2013 Male Athlete of the Year, becoming the third basketball player to capture the award that has been annually awarded since 1931. James received 31 of 96 votes cast in a poll of news organizations, beating Peyton Manning (20) and Jimmie Johnson (7).

"I'm chasing something and it's bigger than me as a basketball player," James told the AP. "I believe my calling is much higher than being a basketball player. I can inspire people. Youth is huge to me. If I can get kids to look at me as a role model, as a leader, a superhero ... those things mean so much, and that's what I think I was built for. I was put here for this lovely game of basketball, but I don't think this is the biggest role that I'm going to have."

Past winners include Joe Louis, Jesse Owens, Muhammad Ali, Carl Lewis, Joe Montana, Tiger Woods and Michael Phelps. Serena Williams was the AP Female Athlete of the Year, announced Wednesday.

James joins Michael Jordan and Larry Bird as NBA players to win the award.

LBJ:cheers:

Hoopz2332
04-15-2014, 07:44 PM
Are we just ignoring association football or what?

Lebron beats out pretty much any athlete from any sport.

Hoopz2332
04-15-2014, 07:44 PM
Are u serious ? A Jamaican runner u see once or twice a year run for 10 seconds over a global superstar ?

Bolt probably isn't even bigger than Tiger Woods:biggums:

Budadiiii
04-15-2014, 08:03 PM
:biggums: :biggums: :biggums: :biggums: :biggums: :wtf:

Messi, Ronaldo, Durant, and now Bubba Watson.

Bandito
04-15-2014, 08:46 PM
http://tkcsports.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/4lebroncalls.jpg
:pimp:

russwest0
04-15-2014, 08:48 PM
The amount of viewers for the NBA finals has dipped every year since LeBrons chokejob in 2011.

LeBron is most important athlete myth: Busted.

Solefade
04-15-2014, 08:49 PM
Bolt probably isn't even bigger than Tiger Woods:biggums:

damn nice posts about LBJ but you make it sound like woods isn't a super star athlete or something...i know it's golf but still

Solefade
04-15-2014, 08:53 PM
The amount of viewers for the NBA finals has dipped every year since LeBrons chokejob in 2011.

cus most of the people that watch are like you--hate to see lbj win, love to watch him lose :confusedshrug:

so the myth about nba refs rigging games for LBJ would be contradictory for ratings because they obviously shoot up when lbj is failing

russwest0
04-15-2014, 08:55 PM
cus most of the people that watch are like you--hate to see lbj win, love to watch him lose :confusedshrug:

so the myth about nba refs rigging games for LBJ would be contradictory for ratings because they obviously shoot up when lbj is failing

What?

Less and less people are giving a shit about LeBron since the chokejob in 2011. Look at the trend of the viewers for the past 3 years in the Finals.

http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/51c0c306eab8ead85900000e-800-572/untitled-2-216.jpg

This includes those who want to see him fail and those who want to see him win. Less and less people have been giving a shit about LeBron on the biggest stage since 2011. Again,

https://www.copyrightsworld.com/wp-content/uploads/myth-busted.jpg

Solefade
04-15-2014, 08:57 PM
What?

Less and less people are giving a shit about LeBron since the chokejob in 2011. Look at the trend of the viewers for the past 3 years in the Finals.

http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/51c0c306eab8ead85900000e-800-572/untitled-2-216.jpg

This includes those who want to see him fail and those who want to see him win. Less and less people have been giving a shit about LeBron on the biggest stage since 2011. Again,

https://www.copyrightsworld.com/wp-content/uploads/myth-busted.jpg

wasn't 2012 ecf g6 in boston one of the highest televised games that year? the game everyone was expecting lebron to lose? :confusedshrug:

russwest0
04-15-2014, 09:03 PM
wasn't 2012 ecf g6 in boston one of the highest televised games that year? the game everyone was expecting lebron to lose? :confusedshrug:

I would hope an elimination game in the ECF would be one of the most watched games that year.

red1
04-15-2014, 09:03 PM
yeah he is the biggest star in sports right now

hahaitme
04-15-2014, 09:06 PM
Hey russ, you got the ratings on the years KD won his rings?

Oh wait.. nevermind, sorry that was rude of me

russwest0
04-15-2014, 09:19 PM
Hey russ, you got the ratings on the years KD won his rings?

Oh wait.. nevermind, sorry that was rude of me

If only Durant could win a ring like 25 year old LeBron did.

Or maybe instead of scoring 32PPG on 55% vs DPOY runner up LeBron James in his first finals trip, he could have scored 22PPG on 35% and got swept.

Poor Durant :lol

Bandito
04-15-2014, 09:23 PM
Russwest ethering everyone on this thread with pure acid.

DaSeba5
04-15-2014, 09:27 PM
Well obviously the player who has been the best in his league for quite some time is important. He is a representative of the league like the past best players were. He is the biggest name in sports, well American sports anyway. Soccer players are probably bigger, but LeBron has to be top 5 in the world IMO. He's definitely the biggest in the US besides maybe Mayweather. He is very polarizing whether you love or hate him. People make 1000s of threads about him here alone either overly praising him or overly bashing him.

lakers_forever
04-15-2014, 09:30 PM
Lebron is probably the biggest american sports star right now. But worldwide? Nah. Messi and Ronaldo are the most importan athletes in the world.

I'd bet most people in Europe / South American don't even know who Lebron is.

Messi and Ronaldo > Lebron

just like

Pele and Maradona > Jordan

JT123
04-15-2014, 09:30 PM

I hate to burst your bubble, but the ratings for EVERYTHING on TV are down compared to 2011. People's viewing habits have changed. Besides, the Spurs were in the Finals last year. What did you expect? :lol

DaSeba5
04-15-2014, 09:31 PM
Lebron is probably the biggest american sports star right now. But worldwide? Nah. Messi and Ronaldo are the most importan athletes in the world.

I'd bet most people in Europe / South American don't even know who Lebron is.

Messi and Ronaldo > Lebron

just like

Pele and Maradona > Jordan

I think a lot of people in EU and South America know who he is, but I do think soccer players are bigger world wide.

JT123
04-15-2014, 09:33 PM
http://tkcsports.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/4lebroncalls.jpg
:pimp:
:oldlol: This dude has been having a meltdown all day. You alright bro? It's okay to ask for help you know. :banana:

lakers_forever
04-15-2014, 09:37 PM
I think a lot of people in EU and South America know who he is, but I do think soccer players are bigger world wide.

I don't think so. I live in south america and I can tell you that 9 out of 10 people, probably even more have never heard of him. Most only know Jordan and even him is not that well known anymore. Mike Tyson is probably more famous than Jordan here. I've asked poor people about Jordan and most of them do not know him, let alone Lebron.

DaSeba5
04-15-2014, 09:38 PM
I don't think so. I live in south america and I can tell you that 9 out of 10 people, probably even more have never heard of him. Most only know Jordan and even him is not that well known anymore. Mike Tyson is probably more famous than Jordan here.

If you live there, I'll take your word for it.

lakers_forever
04-15-2014, 09:39 PM
If you live there, I'll take your word for it.

Thanks.

AintNoSunshine
04-15-2014, 09:42 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: I can't believe this is coming from a Kobe stan. My lord:roll: :roll:

Ronaldinho
04-15-2014, 10:14 PM
I don't think so. I live in south america and I can tell you that 9 out of 10 people, probably even more have never heard of him. Most only know Jordan and even him is not that well known anymore. Mike Tyson is probably more famous than Jordan here. I've asked poor people about Jordan and most of them do not know him, let alone Lebron.
Agreed. But i think Jordan is huge here. The 90s NBA was passing on a big channel here (Band) for almost a decade. Spacejam was a huge sucess around here too. I remember watching even Kaazam haha.

I think Jordan and Tyson are the most famous US atheletes. With, in order, Kobe, Shaq and Iverson/Lebron behind. Kobe is pretty famous too, but not on Jordan Tyson level.

Btw, NFL is getting pretty popular around here too.

Solefade
04-15-2014, 10:18 PM
I would hope an elimination game in the ECF would be one of the most watched games that year.

there were plenty of other elimination games in the WCF though? :confusedshrug:

Solefade
04-15-2014, 10:20 PM

aren't you a mod? taking sides with russwest0 is a pretty bad look especially when you say he's "ethering" someone...russwest ethers no one.

lakers_forever
04-15-2014, 10:28 PM
Agreed. But i think Jordan is huge here. The 90s NBA was passing on a big channel here (Band) for almost a decade. Spacejam was a huge sucess around here too. I remember watching even Kaazam haha.

I think Jordan and Tyson are the most famous US atheletes. With, in order, Kobe, Shaq and Iverson/Lebron behind. Kobe is pretty famous too, but not on Jordan Tyson level.

I don't think Jordan is huge. He is not known by most of the population even in capitals, let alone in the countryside. Ask the doorman (porteiro) of your building or the gari on your street if he knows who Jordan is. I bet he will probably know who Tyson is, but not Jordan.

Kobe, Shaq are virtually unkown. You're brazilian, Ronaldinho. Don't think about Rio, S

Bandito
04-15-2014, 10:29 PM

NFL is not popular in South America at all.

lakers_forever
04-15-2014, 10:32 PM
NFL is not popular in South America at all.

I forgot about that part. NFL? :oldlol: Sorry, my friend Ronaldinho, but brazilian rich boys does not translate brazilians at all. And even among rich boys (the only few whofollow the sport), NFL is unpopular. The common brazilian man has never, I repeat, never even heard of the NFL.

20Four
04-15-2014, 10:35 PM

http://i.minus.com/ibnyP7dIerzQL.gif

http://i.minus.com/iGLFe0oHRkvaJ.png

Ronaldinho
04-15-2014, 10:41 PM
[QUOTE=lakers_forever]I don't think Jordan is huge. He is not known by most of the population even in capitals, let alone in the countryside. Ask the doorman (porteiro) of your building or the gari on your street if he knows who Jordan is. I bet he will probably know who Tyson is, but not Jordan.

Kobe, Shaq are virtually unkown. Your brazilian, Ronaldinho. Don't think about Rio, S

outbreak
04-15-2014, 10:55 PM
Basketball journalist says basketball player is most important athlete in sports? Big surprise. Ask a journalust for any sport and they will pick a player that plays their sport. ... No news here

in Australia more people would know tyson than LeBron easily. People here don't follow the current nba they just know theJordan era. Beckham and Ronaldo would be more well known here too

Le Shaqtus
04-15-2014, 11:20 PM
Stephen A just finds newer ways to make himself like a dumbass.

ThePhantomCreep
04-15-2014, 11:23 PM
Lebron beats out pretty much any athlete from any sport.

Messi and CR7 are EASILY bigger sports figures worldwide.

Messi is more dominant in his sport too.

MavsSuperFan
04-15-2014, 11:27 PM
Obviously to his sport, Tiger woods is the most important athlete.

Golf's ratings/marketability to america with tiger>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Golf's ratings/marketability without tiger.

Its not even close.

Basketball would be fine without Lebron. Golf needs tiger.

Edit: and if you are going to make the argument that golf isnt popular and the best golfer cant be the most important athlete, then fine, but that would also exclude an NBA player, since soccer/football is much more popular globally.

MavsSuperFan
04-15-2014, 11:31 PM
Boxing just isn't popular in the US anymore for some reason
1. Refs making bullshit decisions
2. Lack of heavyweights, its stupid, but some guys that are 6'2+ and 250+Lbs dont respect watching the incredible skill of fighters below 130 lbs. The big guys would rather play in the NFL. Parents saw Ali, and have been trying to keep their kids away from the sport.
3. MMA is siphoning off potential fight fans.
4. Boxing was the biggest when it was on network tv. All the best matches are pay per view nowadays.

Le Shaqtus
04-15-2014, 11:42 PM
Obviously to his sport, Tiger woods is the most important athlete.

Golf's ratings/marketability to america with tiger>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Golf's ratings/marketability without tiger.

Its not even close.

Basketball would be fine without Lebron. Golf needs tiger.

Edit: and if you are going to make the argument that golf isnt popular and the best golfer cant be the most important athlete, then fine, but that would also exclude an NBA player, since soccer/football is much more popular globally.

This

russwest0
04-16-2014, 02:52 AM
LeBron so popular ****** mistaking him for D Rose :oldlol:

https://twitter.com/mouqeet_/status/456232362376847360

sportjames23
04-16-2014, 05:44 AM

Hoopz2332
04-16-2014, 06:13 AM

You don't know anything about context. NBA's overall ratings have been their highest since the Jordan era. As far as the NBA finals go, it's a matter of market and length of the series. All of he big 3 era finals were on pace for monster ratings especially the Thunder/Heat one but it ended in 5. The Spurs went 7 but everyone knows the Spurs bring the ratings down.

From the heat/Thunder finals

NBA Finals TV Ratings On Pace to Set Records After Game 4

The NBA Finals remain on track to be the highest-rated Finals since 2004 after posting huge numbers for Tuesday night's Game 4.

Game 4 between the Miami Heat and Oklahoma City Thunder registered a 12.4 overnight TV ratings, which is up 12 percent from last year's Game 4 of Dallas-Miami.

The matchup of LeBron James's Miami Heat versus Kevin Durant's Oklahoma City Thunder has generated a lot of interest around the world, but especially in the teams' home markets. Tuesday night's game drew 49.1 percent of local households, the most-ever for an NBA game, according to Nielsen ratings.

The terrific ratings are certainly appreciated by ABC, the Finals rights holder since 2003, though the Heat winning Game 4 didn't help the network's cause. Miami's 104-98 victory gives it a 3-1 series lead and the opportunity to close out the NBA Finals on Thursday in Game 5.

Typically after the initial ratings bonanza in Games 1 and 2, ratings start climbing the longer a series goes, which is why ABC executives are likely hoping the series goes to seven games. A Game 7 game between the Thunder and Heat could set NBA television ratings records, but it currently looks unlikely that the series will last that long.

http://www.ibtimes.com/nba-finals-tv-ratings-pace-set-records-after-game-4-703645

Keep dreaming:oldlol:

Hoopz2332
04-16-2014, 06:15 AM

did you read the links I posted?:facepalm

Marlo_Stanfield
04-16-2014, 06:20 AM
teaming up with retards.
the life of kobetards in a nutshell:roll: :roll: :roll:

Marlo_Stanfield
04-16-2014, 06:22 AM

http://cdn.niketalk.com/2/2f/350x700px-LL-2ff5111e_michael-jordan-laughing.gif
http://cdn.tss.uproxx.com/TSS/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Lebron-and-Magic-Laughing.gif

dude77
04-16-2014, 06:33 AM
golf doesn't 'need' tiger woods .. golf has been around forever .. and no athlete/player is bigger than their sport .. jordan was a god of basketball .. he's gone now .. does the nba still 'need' him ? ..

and lebron isn't the most important anything .. steven a. sounds like a crackhead sometimes .. lebron's sport isn't even the most popular sport in the world

dajadeed
04-16-2014, 06:44 AM
The idiots laughing at the mention of Messi as more famous than Lebron and having a bigger impact historically on his sport than Lebron obviously have no knowledge of football.

Lebron is great. Messi is a wonderkid. He's 26 and has already put himself on the level of Maradona and Pele. Yes, he's that good.

How good is Messi? He made Barcelona fans forget about Ronaldinho, who ran the sports world in 2006.

CelticBaller
04-16-2014, 06:48 AM
LeBron so popular ****** mistaking him for D Rose :oldlol:

https://twitter.com/mouqeet_/status/456232362376847360
lebron face :roll:

Hoopz2332
04-16-2014, 06:50 AM
golf doesn't 'need' tiger woods .. golf has been around forever .. and no athlete/player is bigger than their sport .. jordan was a god of basketball .. he's gone now .. does the nba still 'need' him ? ..

and lebron isn't the most important anything .. steven a. sounds like a crackhead sometimes .. lebron's sport isn't even the most popular sport in the world

The idiots laughing at the mention of Messi as more famous than Lebron and having a bigger impact historically on his sport than Lebron obviously have no knowledge of football.

Lebron is great. Messi is a wonderkid. He's 26 and has already put himself on the level of Maradona and Pele. Yes, he's that good.

How good is Messi? He made Barcelona fans forget about Ronaldinho, who ran the sports world in 2006.

Read and stfu

LeBron James' market share

Even before this second NBA championship, LeBron's marketing strategists had completely redefined the dynamic between a sponsor and celebrity endorser, at least in the realm of the iconic athlete. The topic comes up not only because LeBron's second title leads us to look at his immediate future, on and off the court, but also because the perception in some quarters is that he had a relatively low commercial profile on television during the playoffs.

In this day and age, the bottom line means strengthening the brand, which may trump any other measurement in popular culture. And not many brands are as high profile as LeBron's these days, even though he still has his critics. With Forbes reporting LeBron's endorsement income at $42 million last year, he trails only Tiger Woods, Roger Federer ($65 million each) and Phil Mickelson ($44 million) in that category. But Forbes also reports that his second NBA title will probably mean a $5 million to $7 million increase in endorsement income in 2013 (and that estimate could be conservative given that NBA 2K14 is going to be LeBron's first video game cover). You wonder how much Peyton Manning's endorsement portfolio is worth? It was estimated by Forbes to be $12 million last year. Drew Brees: $11 million. Aaron Rodgers: $6 million. Usain Bolt: $24 million.

Yet, there's no risk in terms of the strategy. Forbes reports that LeBron is the highest-ranked athlete in the world and 23rd overall in terms of his "web rank," meaning he's ahead of Tiger, David Beckham, Kobe, Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi and, for that matter, Tom Cruise and Reese Witherspoon. Forbes ranks LeBron 15th in celebrity power, behind people like Jennifer Lopez, Oprah Winfrey and Justin Bieber, but ahead of every athlete except Tiger.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9420455/lebron-james-market-share

Marlo_Stanfield
04-16-2014, 06:54 AM

messi is a joke, used illegal hormones and is a 100% product of the barca system.
hes not even the best player on his own team, that is Iniesta:facepalm

Hoopz2332
04-16-2014, 06:58 AM
:applause:

http://i.imgur.com/rQCXLmr.png

http://i.imgur.com/Q4uJZoM.jpg

Hoopz2332
04-16-2014, 07:10 AM
What I Learned From A Year Of Watching SportsCenter

[quote]

Which names is SportsCenter writing over and over again in its Trapper Keeper?

As Sanchez's inexplicable prominence suggests, the great SportsCenter engine runs not just on money and major sports to which ESPN happens to hold broadcast rights, but also on celebrity. Watch the show at the right time of year, and you might come away thinking that there are only a half-dozen or so athletes in the entire world.

To put in perspective just how fixed SportsCenter gets on the anointed, consider that Tim Tebow got 17 percent more mentions than successful professional quarterbacks Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers put together. Then consider that he wasn't, unbelievably enough, even one of SportsCenter's five most fussed-over athletes.

http://i.imgur.com/TtnkWXT.png

As you can see, if you want the all-powerful SportsCenter to aid your personal #branding campaign, it helps to either play basketball or line up under center. Of the 20 most-mentioned athletes, in fact, 11 play in the NBA and seven were quarterbacks (assuming Tebow counts as one). Golf and baseball each claimed one spot. No one else, from Serena Williams to Lionel Messi, rated at all.

CUMULATIVE STATISTICS (2012)

Total time: 23,052.75 minutes
Time (minus commercials): 17,361.25
NFL: 4,046.25 (23.3%)
NBA: 3,330.5 minutes (19.2%)
MLB: 2,916.5 (16.8%)
SportsCenter staples**: 2,289 (13.2%)
College football: 1,329.75 (7.7%)
College basketball: 1,181.25 (6.8%)
Golf: 580.75 (3.3%)
NHL: 459.5 (2.7%)
NASCAR: 362.25 (2.1%)
Other***: 315 (1.8%)
Soccer: 217.75 (1.3%)
Olympics: 166.5 (.9%)
Tennis: 166.25 (.9%)

MOST-COVERED TEAMS BY SPORT (2012)

Miami Heat (NBA): 962.75 minutes (5.5%)
New York Yankees (MLB): 410.25 (2.4%)
New York Giants (NFL): 362.75 (2.1%)
Alabama Crimson Tide (college football): 208.75 (1.2%)
Kentucky Wildcats (college basketball): 155.25 (0.9%)
Pittsburgh Penguins (NHL): 56.5 (0.3%)

MOST-MENTIONED SPORTS FIGURES (2012)

1) LeBron James: 1,930 mentions
2) Kobe Bryant: 1,345
3) Peyton Manning: 1,218
4) Dwyane Wade: 1,167
5) Kevin Durant: 1,109
6) Tiger Woods: 1,011
7) Tim Tebow: 976
8) Tom Brady: 894
9) Jeremy Lin: 871
10) Derrick Rose: 830
11) Carmelo Anthony: 804
12) Dwight Howard: 752
13) Eli Manning: 621
14) Russell Westbrook: 578
15) Rajon Rondo: 568
16) Robert Griffin III: 567
17) Josh Hamilton: 460
18) Blake Griffin: 457
19) Drew Brees: 433
20) Aaron Rodgers: 401

* This analysis had to exclude teams without unique names

JohnMax
04-16-2014, 02:15 PM
Chris Paul and Blake Griffin are on the most TV commercials but they only make 4 and 6 million?

:biggums:

Hoopz2332
04-17-2014, 07:27 AM
Chris Paul and Blake Griffin are on the most TV commercials but they only make 4 and 6 million?

:biggums:

They aren't that marketable

SpanishACB
04-17-2014, 09:55 AM
what do you mean important?

Do you mean relevant? Influential? Popular?

Out of the states I don't think Lebron is top 10 in any of those.

SpanishACB
04-17-2014, 10:02 AM

it's very simple.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1575610-lionel-messis-10-best-records-so-far

http://www.insidespanishfootball.com/48182/lionel-messi-124-records-milestones/

Now, if Lebron starts beating scoring and rebounding records broken half a century (or more) ago then he'll have a case at being as good in his sport

However, if popularity also influences importance, there's no contest:

http://fanpagelist.com/category/athletes/

If Messi used Twitter he would have twice what he has now, too.

Trollsmasher
04-17-2014, 10:16 AM
However, if popularity also influences importance, there's no contest:

http://fanpagelist.com/category/athletes/

If Messi used Twitter he would have twice what he has now, too.
Ronaldo:bowdown: