PDA

View Full Version : Rewards of the tank:2014 off-season!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 01:55 AM
I guess first we'll get confirmation in the next few days Ty is gone. I'd think having a new coach and staff in place before the draft would be ideal but it probably depends on if there are any candidates they want still in the playoffs.

Second, May 20th the lottery. We'll see how lucky they are this time around. I'd say they're due.

Third, end of June will be the draft. Hard to predict after all the moves Lindsey pulled off last year.

Fourth, July 1st free agency begins. Jazz have most of their roster to fill but obviously G will be first priority. Don't over pay! Frontload it if you have to. Next they need a veteran pg to mentor Burke and possibly Neto or someone else. Tomic's buyout is doable now I believe. Not sure the Jazz have a place for him now but he could be a trade piece if he wants to come over. Seems like the time for him to come. He's at the top of the Euroleague the past two years.

Fifth, Vegas Summer League. Hopefully Neto and Burke and the Stocktons can go at each other. Gobert, Garrett, Clark, Thomas and Murphy should be there with the draft picks

Sixth, Kanter and Burke extensions. Kanter appears to be gone but I could still see signing him for the right price. Hopefully Burks they can put away.

Seventh, back to fall camp!

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 02:24 AM
Josh Gershon: New Mexico State sophomore center Sim Bhullar is entering the NBA Draft, per a source. Twitter

undrafted

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 02:27 AM
Arizona State guard and two-time All-Pac-12 First Team selection Jahii Carson as expected will forgo his final two years of NCAA eligibility and enter the 2014 NBA Draft. The 2013 Pac-12 Co-Freshman of the Year averaged 18.6 points, 4.6 assists and 4.0 rebounds in his sophomore season, leading the Sun Devils to a 21-12 mark and its first NCAA appearance since 2009, as well as its best home record (16-1) in 40 seasons. Carson averaged 18.5 points and 5.1 assists in 2012-13, the first freshman to do that since Chris McGuthrie of Mount St. Mary's in 1992-93 (19.8/.5.1). Arizona State Sun Devils

early mid 2nd

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 08:40 AM
By virtue of Utah's win and Boston's season-ending loss to Washington, the Jazz and Celtics finished tied for the fourth-worst record in the league at 25-57.

This means Utah and Boston will split their lottery chances, resulting in each team having a 10.35 percent chance of winning the No. 1 pick and a 33.5 percent chance of finishing in the top three.

Losing to the T-Wolves would've given the Jazz sole possession of the fourth-worst record along with 11.9 percent odds of the top spot and a 37.8 percent chance of grabbing a top-three selection.

Also, by tying for fourth, the Jazz now only have a 69 percent probability of a top-five pick rather than 82.7 percent for being alone in 27th place overall.

The NBA will conduct a random drawing before the May 20 lottery to determine whether the Jazz or Celtics will be in the fourth or fifth positions, which will come into play if neither wins a top-three pick.

The NBA draft takes place on June 26.

EMAIL: jody@desnews.com

TWITTER: DJJazzyJody

I guess that drawing decides who picks first in the 2nd round too? That's an early 2nd. Could get someone pretty good there too.

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 02:48 PM
Jabari Parker: Today I sent my letter of intent to the NBA. That makes it official -- my days as a Duke basketball player are over. But my days as a Duke student are not. I intend to graduate from Duke while I'm in the NBA. I was an honor student when I arrived at Duke, and I'd like to graduate as one. SI.com

got to believe the Jazz would have a hard time passing on the best mormon player ever with mormon owners and a fanbase that is more than half mormon if they have the chance

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 02:59 PM
Misko Raznatovic: Nemanja Dangubic, SG from Serbian team, Mega Vizura, 93, declared himself for upcoming draft. He had excellent game last night vs Red star. Twitter

#7 international prospect. not sure where that puts him on the big board?

[QUOTE]Sophomore Caris LeVert, whose scoring average jumped 10.6 points to 12.9 this season, said that he submitted his name to the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Council to evaluate his potential in the NBA draft. But LeVert said that he was only getting information and will not leave Michigan after his sophomore season.

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 03:39 PM
[QUOTE]Rudy Gobert

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 03:42 PM
[QUOTE]the team hit some kind of wall around March 1.

Gordon Hayward cited "mental fatigue" as the cause, besides giving credit to the other teams.

"A lot of guys haven

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 03:43 PM
Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin dismissed questions about his future Thursday, when the team held its annual end-of-the-season meetings at EnergySolutions Arena.

"We’ll sit down in the future," Corbin said, when asked if he has met with general manager Dennis Lindsey. "We’ve got to talk to the guys [today]. We’ll have a schedule going forward."

Asked if he felt he would be offered a new contract for next season and beyond, Corbin said, "I always feel I’m going to be where I am."

On Thursday morning, The Salt Lake Tribune learned that Corbin’s future could be decided by this weekend.

The Jazz finished 25-57 this season, which began with a gutting of the roster and commitment to playing Utah’s young foundation — a group that includes Gordon Hayward, Derrick Favors, Enes Kanter, Alec Burks and rookie point guard Trey Burke.

"Anything can happen in this league," Corbin said. "I’ve been in it a long time. You want to have a fair shake and you want the best opportunity to win.

"The organization just decided to go in a different direction from the guys we had before. I knew it would be difficult. No way when you change the roster like we did it is good for the coaching staff, especially in the last year of your contract."

Like any coach of a lottery team — rebuilding or otherwise — Corbin received outside criticism for the job he did in his third full season as Utah’s head coach.

He shrugged it off, saying, "Misery loves company. There are a lot of miserable people out there — people that just like to focus on the negative."

I'm sure it's already been decided. Will be official soon. He never had a fair shake.

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 03:51 PM
[QUOTE]Jazz forward Marvin Williams has talked of his happiness and his desire to stay in Utah as a veteran in the rebuilding process.

The former star out of North Carolina didn

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 03:52 PM
[QUOTE]John Lucas III saw his playing time dry up as the season wore on.

The journeyman point guard said he understands the Jazz wanted to go young. Could the Jazz cut ties with him altogether?

"To me, I never look at it like that," he said. "I

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 03:56 PM
[QUOTE]As he waited for his exit interview Thursday, Hayward was also vague on what might await him this summer as an unrestricted free agent.
At least one teammate believes he

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 03:58 PM
[QUOTE]"Even if you draft a kid, he

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 04:00 PM
Given the circumstances, Hayward believes Corbin did a good job.
"He was in a tough spot

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 04:12 PM
[QUOTE]"I think it

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 04:15 PM
[QUOTE]Buks wants a bigger role next season

Alec Burks wanted no part of a contract extension talk on Thursday afternoon.

"This is something that I

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 04:44 PM
[QUOTE]University of Kentucky freshman All-Southeastern Conference selection James Young will forego his sophomore season and enter his name in this year's NBA Draft.

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 07:23 PM
[QUOTE]His comments prelude a big summer for he and shooting guard Alec Burks. Both are heading into the fourth and final seasons of their respective rookie contracts. Both are eligible for extensions beginning in July. And if that window of opportunity slides through with nothing accomplished, both will be heading into contract years in 2014

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 07:25 PM
Jody Genessy: Dennis Lindsey said Jazz management and Ty Corbin will take a short while to "decompress" before any decisions are made about future coach. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 07:36 PM
[QUOTE]"It

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 07:39 PM
[QUOTE]Burke, the Jazz

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 07:46 PM
[QUOTE]Enes Kanter was borderline hilarious with the media on Thursday afternoon, cracking jokes, smiling and generally being comfortable in front of a crowd.

But locker room clean-out day for the Jazz yielded a more serious side to Utah

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 07:56 PM
Jazz are in a better place than most lottery teams. They have better young talent.

Debatable. They have no sure fire star. Doesn't matter how many good young players you have if you have no stars. You want to be the Nuggets?

They have the aforementioned shot to add to that young talent. They are not burdened by heavy, undesirable contracts. They have money to spend.

They really don't. They have to save money for Burks and Kanter so spending past next season is limited.

[QUOTE]As for those players they already have, those guys got the W-L record all of us predicted they

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 08:05 PM
Twitter

Jody Genessy

@DJJazzyJody

Dennis Lindsey: "Enes can really shoot the ball and Derrick can really anchor a defense from a rebounding, shot-blocking standpoint."

Remains to be seen as far as Derrick goes. He's getting paid to be that guy anyway.

Jazz GM Dennis Lindsey thinks those who claim a Favors/Kanter pairing can't work made a "premature opinion." DL: "Frankly, that's nonsense."

It is premature but unless they show they can make it work soon you might have to make a decision.

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 08:06 PM
Twitter

Jody Genessy

@DJJazzyJody

Dennis Lindsey laughed when asked about young players getting big minutes but not starting together until late. "I heard that

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 08:10 PM
Trey Burke on John Lucas III: "He's meant a lot.... He's been like a big brother to me to be honest with you. I could talk to him about anything. We compete against each other every day....You can't say enough about a guy like John because he sacrificed a lot for the team. He makes sure I do the right things, and I appreciate it."

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 08:10 PM
Dennis Lindsey on Gordon Hayward: "I think he needs to have more fun."

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 08:12 PM
Trey Burke: "I think that I can take it up another notch of trying to be a leader. I'm no longer a rookie anymore. I think the guys have my respect. I look forward helping this team win more."by Aaron MO 4:18 AM

Trey Burke talking about his exit meeting: "If I want to be the best player I can be, there's certain things I need to do. Working hard, staying focus, staying out of trouble and basically turning my weaknesses into strengths."

Trey Burke on being injured at the beginning of the season: "Obviously getting hurt preseason I set me back. I had to see the game from a different perspective. It was hard because I face my adversity mentally and on the court, but I think that I've grown a lot since the beginning of the season."

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 08:27 PM
John Stockton will help scout talent for the Utah Jazz at the Portsmouth Invitational while there to watch his son David work out.

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 08:29 PM
Trey Burke wants to be in playoffs next year. "That's the goal."
You ok with being a back-up?

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 08:30 PM
Enes Kanter says he wants to add the 3-pointer to his repertoire next season. Also, he continues to call @andyblarsen "Enes" for some reason

expected

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 08:31 PM
In case you were wondering about Rudy Gobert's summer plans, he'll be in Dallas, Paris, Santa Barbara, and then with the Jazz in Vegas.

No national team?

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 08:32 PM
Rudy Gobert cited Andris Biedrins as his mentor this season. #utahjazz #dnjazz

no wonder he couldn't hit a free throw

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 08:35 PM
Richard Jefferson on talking with Enes Kanter, "He believes that offense is more important than defense. Yes, I'm telling that to the media. Those are his own words. Not saying that he says that they're equally important. He says that in the playoffs, you need good offensive players. And I was like, you will not find a championship team that doesn't know to get stops in the last five minutes of the game."

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 08:38 PM
Corbin: "You see why coaches that have been in for a long time won't put themselves in a situation where they have a young team..." "It doesn't matter how you scheme things when you have young guys. Young guys make mistakes in this league.

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 10:59 PM
[QUOTE]Something similar happened 10 years ago, when Russia-born Andrei Kirilenko

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 11:03 PM
NBA Summer Dates

April 27: NBA Draft Early Entry Eligibility Deadline
May 20: 2014 NBA Draft Lottery
June 16: NBA Draft Early Entry Withdrawal Deadline
June 26: 2014 NBA Draft

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 11:19 PM
[QUOTE] there was an interesting tone to Corbin

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 11:30 PM
http://basketball.realgm.com/article/232985/Breaking-Down-The-Rookie-Seasons-Of-The-2013-Lottery-Class

[QUOTE]9) Trey Burke: Burke broke his finger in the preseason and by the time he returned to the lineup, the Jazz season was essentially over. No rookie in this year

Xiao Yao You
04-17-2014, 11:32 PM
Dario Saric To Declare For NBA Draft, Could Still Withdraw

Apr 16, 2014 | Jonathan Givony/DraftExpress

Dario Saric will declare for the 2014 NBA Draft, though it is uncertain if he will remain beyond the withdrawal deadline.

Xiao Yao You
04-18-2014, 08:38 AM
Dennis Lindsey stopped short of promising the team would bring Hayward back. But Lindsey made it clear Hayward is in the plans.

"We look forward to him being a career Jazz member," Lindsey said.

Last fall, Hayward’s camp and the Jazz front office failed to reach terms on a contract extension. So in July, Hayward will be free to test his value on the open market. And the Jazz are in prime position to match.

"We’re confident in Gordon and you guys saw what we did the last few years as far as being very disciplined with our salary cap," Lindsey said, adding that the team has the funds to give Hayward a substantial raise and still sign another max-deal player if the right one were available.

Which max player can you get or even want? I wouldn't want Carmelo for example maybe Bosh.

"… We’ll stand by our statement that we hope he’s a member of the Utah Jazz for the length of his career."

Thrust into the role as the team’s top scoring option this season, Hayward struggled at times with his jump shot. But he still led the Jazz in scoring and was one of four players in the NBA to average at least 15 points, five rebounds and five assists a game.

Jazz management loves his versatile game, especially his ability to pass the ball.

One of Lindsey’s main directives for the fourth-year player: "have more fun."

"I think there are times he misses a shot and he feels like he’s got the weight of the world on his shoulders," Lindsey said. "I’m sure wins and losses weighed heavy on him. He actually shared that" in his exit interview.

Probably had more to do with the money he gave up and he watching go down the drain miss after miss.

Hayward said the year exposed some of his weaknesses and he plans to address a number of issues — starting with his jump shot (he hit just 30 percent of his attempts from 3) — in the offseason.

Asked whether he wanted to be back in Utah next year, Hayward was diplomatic and vague, saying, "Utah has been great for me. But it’s a business."

That doesn't sound like he really wants to be back. If that's the case try to do a sign and trade for him and let him go where he wants and get some people that want to be there.

But Hayward’s teammates remain convinced he’ll be back in Salt Lake City.

"I don’t think he’s going anywhere," point guard John Lucas III said. "He’s the key. He’s the future here."

"You never know how the offseason will go, but I plan on seeing him here," forward Jeremy Evans said.

afalk@sltrib.com

Twitter: @tribjazz

Xiao Yao You
04-18-2014, 08:46 AM
For a stretch of roughly 40 games, the Jazz played nearly .500 basketball. But eventually the season caught up with them. The schedule toughened, players tired

Xiao Yao You
04-18-2014, 08:59 AM
[QUOTE]While he isn

Xiao Yao You
04-18-2014, 09:07 AM
[QUOTE]Marvin Williams
Years in the NBA: 9

Contract status: Unrestricted free agent

Summer plans: Going to Germany next week for a couple of weeks to see a friend and return to North Carolina to work out.

Quotable:

Xiao Yao You
04-18-2014, 09:09 AM
The season could have been a lot worse without Burke's clutch moments.

Could have been a lot better with a starting caliber 1.

Xiao Yao You
04-18-2014, 04:20 PM
Mark Murphy: Per league source: Celtics lost "coin toss" with Utah, will enter lottery in fifth position, with one less combination than the Jazz. Twitter @Murf56

Howard Beck: NBA announced ties broken for draft order: UTA won tiebreaker w/BOS. BKN won tie w/WAS. CHI won tie w/TOR. POR won tie w/MIA and HOU. Twitter @HowardBeck

Does this mean they pick ahead of Boston in the 2nd round too? That could be a pretty good player early 2nd round.

Xiao Yao You
04-18-2014, 06:02 PM
[QUOTE]Lindsey hasn

Xiao Yao You
04-18-2014, 06:06 PM
Bill Oram: NBA salary cap has been set at $63.2 million per source. Projections were $62.5-62.9 Twitter @bill_oram

Xiao Yao You
04-18-2014, 06:26 PM
There is perhaps no NBA coach who has ever been in a bigger no-win situation than Tyrone Corbin.

Not sure about no coach but he'd been in a tough spot all along.

[QUOTE]Corbin, a former Jazz small forward himself, was thrust into the limelight the minute longtime coach Jerry Sloan chose to step down from coaching. It

El Kabong
04-18-2014, 06:31 PM
Sounds like Corbin might be on the way out.

Xiao Yao You
04-18-2014, 07:41 PM
Jody Genessy: Jazz president Randy Rigby on NYDN report that team has already decided to part ways with coach Tyrone Corbin: "Not accurate." Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Jody Genessy: Also, the Millers and Jazz management have yet to hold their final meeting to discuss Tyrone Corbin's future with the organization. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Jody Genessy: Tyrone Corbin's agent, attorney Steve Kauffman, just told me: "As far as I know, there has been no decision made." Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Jody Genessy: Corbin agent Steve Kauffman on report: "I'm not going to react to anything released by Mitch Lawrence based on my experience over the years" Twitter @DJJazzyJody

I'm guessing the decision was made long ago.

Xiao Yao You
04-18-2014, 07:41 PM
But Jefferson, a 13-year veteran in the NBA, admitted he would like to play for a playoffs-bound team, considering he may not have a lot of years left to play in the league.

Xiao Yao You
04-19-2014, 04:23 AM
Burke, two days after his 32-point, nine-assist, seven-rebound outing in a 136-130 double-OT win at Minnesota, was named the Western Conference rookie of the month for April. He also earned that honor in December and January, becoming the first Jazzman to win it in multiple months.

The 6-foot-1 point guard scored an average of 15.6 points and topped all NBA rookies in assists with nine a game in seven contests.

Burke finished his rookie season averaging 12.8 points, 5.7 assists and 3.0 boards. He also won the Skills Challenge during All-Star Weekend and is expected to finish high in Rookie of the Year voting.

Karl Malone (December 1985) is the only other Jazz player to be named rookie of the month.

Xiao Yao You
04-19-2014, 04:51 AM
[QUOTE]final verdict won

Xiao Yao You
04-19-2014, 05:06 AM
[QUOTE]Rush, who came over in the trade from Golden State with Jefferson last year, was coming off ACL knee surgery after playing just two games the previous year with the Warriors. Before going to Golden State, Rush had played three years for Indiana where he started more than 100 games in three seasons.

Xiao Yao You
04-19-2014, 05:34 AM
http://*********.com/free_agency/point_guards_2014.htm

I think they definitely need a vet pg or combo guard.

Xiao Yao You
04-19-2014, 03:18 PM
Djordje Matic: 3 NBA teams out of play off, drawing interests in coach Zeljko Obradovic for the next season Twitter

Xiao Yao You
04-19-2014, 03:34 PM
[QUOTE]Adrian Dantley didn

Xiao Yao You
04-20-2014, 09:50 AM
[QUOTE]The NBA has informed teams that it is projecting a rise in the salary cap of nearly $5 million for next season, which could aid clubs such as Chicago and Houston in their attempts to steal free agent-to-be Carmelo Anthony from the New York Knicks, according to sources familiar with the forecasts. ESPN.com

Sources told ESPN.com that all 30 teams were informed this week via league memorandum that an increase in the cap from this season's $58.6 million to $63.2 million in 2014-15 -- thanks to increased revenues -- is now expected. A corresponding rise in the luxury-tax threshold from $71.7 million to $77 million is also projected, sources said. ESPN.com

And Houston has quietly expressed confidence for months that it could make the moves necessary -- such as trading center Omer Asik and/or guard Jeremy Lin -- to thrust itself into the heart of the Anthony bidding depending on how the forthcoming playoffs play out. ESPN.com

But sources close to the situation told ESPN.com that the Bulls -- even before these developments came to light Friday night via noted NBA salary-cap expert Larry Coon -- were already feeling increasingly optimistic behind the scenes about their chances of convincing Anthony to leave the Knicks in the wake of New York's failure to make the playoffs. This is the first season Anthony has failed to reach the playoffs in his 11-year career. It's believed that the Bulls would still have to shed some veteran salary in addition to releasing former All-Star forward Carlos Boozer via the amnesty clause this summer to be able to make a competitive offer that could persuade Anthony to leave the new Jackson-led Knicks and the Madison Square Garden stage he loves so dearly. But a higher cap figure than anticipated would naturally make things easier for Chicago. ESPN.com

Both Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik are going into the

Xiao Yao You
04-20-2014, 09:52 AM
The Wizards have a player option of the final year of Miller

Xiao Yao You
04-20-2014, 10:00 AM
Sixers owner Josh Harris told reporters Friday that he's proud of what the 19-63 Philadelphia 76ers accomplished this season despite losing 26 in a row. "I think the season has been a huge success for us," Harris said in an Associated Press story on Friday. Give Harris credit for his honesty. The Sixers hold two lottery picks (one via a trade) and never were shy about admitting they had to tank -- make that, rebuild -- this season in order to start their hopeful championship track. "We don't use that word," Harris said of tanking. CBSSports.com

Proud? What a joke! Things have to change!

Xiao Yao You
04-20-2014, 11:09 AM
[QUOTE]General manager Dennis Lindsey willingly admits the Utah Jazz, days removed from the conclusion of a 25-57 season, have taken a step backwards.

On purpose.

With the ownership

Xiao Yao You
04-20-2014, 11:10 AM
Should the Jazz offer contract extensions to Kanter and Burks, who showed flaws but had moments when they flourished in their third seasons? Or let their contract situation play out another year?

Of course you offer them extensions. Why wouldn't you? If you can get them at at good price you do it.

Did Favors, Hayward and Burke show enough leadership potential and enough firepower to be considered a true go-to guy on a team that only averaged 95 points?

:roll: Burks and Kanter maybe. Burke maybe. Favors and G aren't destined for that kind of role.

Or does Utah need one or two more high-load scorers to carry the offensive burden?

Probably.

And how will they get that league-worst defense to improve?

New coach and personnel maybe. Considering Favors wasn't that great and he's supposed to be the stopper they might need to overhaul the whole thing.

Can Rudy Gobert find a more consistent role his sophomore season after his 7-foot-1 frame spent most of his rookie campaign on the bench?

Hopefully they get there own D-League team in St. George so they can send him there if he needs more time.

How about the athletic Jeremy Evans and fringe players with non-guaranteed contracts like Diante Garrett, Ian Clark, Malcolm Thomas and Erik Murphy, can they find a niche?

Evans found a niche. The others are cheap roster filler right now at best.

And, with the amount of salary-cap space the Jazz have (only $32 million accounted for now with non-guaranteed guys), could the team attract a game-changing, max-contract-type free agent to "speed up the timeline," as Lindsey mentioned?

Who is this max contract guy they are going to be able to get? I see the money spent on frontloaded G contract, vet pg/combo guard mentor, possibly Neto and Tomic.

While questions are flying, who should the Jazz pick come June 26?
Maybe wait for the lottery first?

[QUOTE]Lindsey, who spoke to media for 42 minutes about these topics and more Thursday, doesn

Xiao Yao You
04-21-2014, 12:31 AM
Adam Zagoria: Aquille Carr has officially declared for the Draft, his agent tells @SNYtv . Not projected on @DraftExpress Mock. Twitter

undrafted

Xiao Yao You
04-21-2014, 09:13 AM
[QUOTE]Multiple sources tell The Salt Lake Tribune that Corbin and General Manager Dennis Lindsey are scheduled to meet on Monday, and an announcement concerning Corbin

Xiao Yao You
04-21-2014, 11:10 AM
Louisiana-Lafayette junior point guard Elfrid Payton is heading to the NBA. Multiple sources told ESPN that the 6-foot-3 floor leader, who could be taken late in the first round of the NBA draft, will make an official announcement on Monday afternoon. ESPN.com

[QUOTE]Playing point guard for NCAA men

Xiao Yao You
04-21-2014, 11:10 AM
Kentucky officials have scheduled a press conference for Tuesday afternoon at 1:30 ET, at which point sources told CBSSports.com that freshman basketball player Julius Randle is expected to formally announce his decision to enter the 2014 NBA Draft. CBSSports.com

Xiao Yao You
04-21-2014, 06:01 PM
[QUOTE]The Utah Jazz announced today that the team has elected not to offer head coach Tyrone Corbin a new contract. As a result, a search for a new head coach will begin immediately.

Xiao Yao You
04-21-2014, 09:52 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/57846568-87/coach-com-season-sltrib.html.csp

Xiao Yao You
04-21-2014, 10:05 PM
Former University of Utah head coach Jim Boylen has emerged as a leading candidate to replace Corbin, according to sources. Boylen, who is the first assistant on Gregg Popovich's San Antonio Spurs staff, worked closely with Jazz general manger Dennis Lindsey when both were with the Houston Rockets from 1996-2003 and are close friends.

Sounds like he could be the guy. As much as people didn't like Corbin if he doesn't win he'll really get it from Ute fans. Might have to wait to interview him.

The decision was finalized after Corbin met with Jazz management on Monday, five days after Utah finished a rebuilding season with a 25-57 record and following what Lindsey described as a "short decompression period to reflect on the season."

Let him enjoy his Easter holiday basically. The decision had been made long ago.

Corbin had been the Jazz's coach since taking over for Jerry Sloan on Feb. 10, 2011, after the Hall of Famer surprisingly resigned during his 23rd season at Utah's helm.

The Jazz will now commence a search for only the fifth head coach in 35 years since the franchise relocated from New Orleans in 1979. Since 1974, the Jazz franchise has only employed seven head coaches.

Corbin is the first Jazz coach to be let go (technically, he has until the end of June) since then-general manager Frank Layden fired Tom Nissalke, the original Utah-era coach, early in the 1981-82 season.

Utah made the playoffs in 2012 to the surprise of some outsiders, but didn't qualify for postseason play in the three other seasons that ended on Corbin's watch. The Jazz went 112-146 under Corbin, whose tenure included the departure of All-Star Deron Williams at the end of the tumultuous 2010-11 season, a variety of mix-and-match rosters from 2011-13 when Utah went 79-69, and an all-out rebuilding project this past season.

Layden proceeded to coach until he called it quits early in the 1988-89 season, opening the door for Sloan's legendary Utah career. Sloan, like Corbin, was tabbed as the successor as an assistant on the Jazz staff.

The Jazz will have a wide variety of candidates to choose from, and it wouldn't be surprising for general manager Dennis Lindsey to hire somebody with whom he's had previous working experience with in San Antonio or Houston.

In addition to Boylen, other possible candidates to replace Corbin include former NBA coach Jeff Van Gundy (Lindsey's old boss with the Rockets); Suns assistant Mike Longabardi, a defensive specialist who worked with Lindsey in Houston; Bulls assistant Andy Green (also at Houston with Lindsey); well-respected college coaches Fred Hoiberg (Iowa State), Tom Izzo (Michigan State) and Larry Krystkowiak (Utah); current Jazz staffers Brad Jones and Alex Jensen (both highly regarded up-and-comers); and international coach Ettore Messina (an Italian currently coaching CSKA Moscow). Former NBA coaches George Karl, Stan Van Gundy, Lionel Hollins and Nate McMillan could also be intriguing possibilities.

The Bulls assistant they might have to wait got as well. No mention of Ollie who they supposedly like. Van Gundy would be a big hire. Need an offensive assistant though. Not his specialty.

Lindsey was asked last week what qualities he's looking at in a coach for the 2014-15 season.

"The head coach of this program has always been and stood for the right things, so I’d say a continuance of what Ty and Jerry and Frank Layden have started and built over the years," Lindsey said. "You guys heard the discipline and the development and the defense (themes) because this iteration needed all three characteristics, not only from coaching and playing but ownership and management."

Lindsey added that if the Jazz stay young the organization would require "clearly an improved emphasis in the defense" as well. Finishing 30th in team defense this season could have been the ultimate deciding factor against bringing Corbin back.

Xiao Yao You
04-21-2014, 11:02 PM
[QUOTE]Greg Miller

@GregInUtah

Best wishes to Tyrone Corbin for success in the future. He is one of the classiest people I have ever had the privilege of working with.

@slcdunk

Xiao Yao You
04-21-2014, 11:20 PM
[QUOTE]"This has not been an easy decision, but after a thorough review process, we as an organization feel that this is the best decision for our franchise moving forward," Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey said.

Corbin coached the Jazz to a 25-57 record this year

Xiao Yao You
04-21-2014, 11:49 PM
Tom Nissalke has always said he was "relieved" when that happened to him.

Corbin, in contrast, wanted to return. Having delivered the news, Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey described Corbin’s reaction as ranging from "disappointment to anger and everything in between."

Angry eh? Sounds like it may not have been a pretty scene. Easy to understand. He's been with the Jazz a long time.

Having hoped Corbin would survive, I made my concession speech in early April, recognizing there was no compelling reason to keep him. His job was challenging from start to finish, but the coaching change is completely defensible — with the Jazz’s lousy defense among the biggest reasons.

It also means the Miller family, the team’s owners, can’t claim the Jazz are different from any other franchise. The Jazz have joined the "blame-the-coach culture" that Lindsey once said they rose above, and the next coach will be subject to scrutiny like everybody else in the league.

Then again, the late Larry H. Miller wanted to fire Sloan after losing his first playoff series in 1989, only to be talked out of the move. Sloan lasted for nearly 22 more years, defying the NBA’s coaching turnover.

Through two 1st to 3rd finishes and many playoff disappointments with two of the greatest ever. :eek:

Corbin was not hired by Lindsey, who arrived two years ago and now will conduct the Jazz’s first coaching search since 1979, when team started playing under Nissalke in the old Salt Palace. The hiring will become the Jazz’s biggest decision since the trade of Deron Williams, which came two weeks after Corbin’s promotion.

The potential for Corbin’s keeping his job peaked in late February, after the Jazz recovered from a 1-14 start by going 20-22. But when the team lost 21 of its last 25 games — never mind that many fans were more unhappy about those four wins than the 21 defeats, in the interest of draft positioning — Corbin’s fate became inevitable.

Corbin made his share of mistakes, in terms of both personnel and strategy, but he deserves credit for holding his team together during some tough times. What’s unclear is whether Corbin is losing his job because he lost too many games, or because he tried to win too many games at the expense of playing time for the Jazz’s youngsters.

He was gone regardless. Lindsey wants a yes man.

Both, probably. Lindsey cited "a lot of different criteria over multiple years." Asked about philosophical conflicts, Lindsey said it would be fair to "assume that there were different thoughts." Yet he also said he was "completely comfortable with the minutes our young guys got."

So that answers absolutely nothing. The good news is there should be no confusion about the evaluation of the new coach. It’s all about wins and losses, starting now.

I wouldn't say that. They are still young. They should expect to be better next year but if G leaves and they fall in the lottery and have injuries who knows? Let's not forget the last time they sucked it was coming off a near playoff finish and everything went wrong the next season.

In any case, the moment I realized a change was inevitable came in mid-March. In the second half of a Western Athletic Conference tournament semifinal game in Las Vegas, Cal State Bakersfield guard Tyrell Corbin, the coach’s son, drove into the lane. Corbin had scored seven straight points for his team. With the 35-second clock running down, he desperately floated a shot over Sim Bhullar, New Mexico State’s 7-foot-5 center.

The shot had maybe a 25-percent chance of going in, and the ball bounced off the rim. Bakersfield’s run ended, and the Aggies went on to win convincingly.

That scene summarized Tyrone Corbin’s challenge this season. He had a shot at succeeding, but not a very good one. I’ll never fault him for trying to win games. In the process, though, he allowed himself to be judged by his record, and it all crumbled on him.

kkragthorpe@sltrib.com

Twitter: @tribkurt

He is judged by his record despite not having a starting caliber pg and only one rotation caliber pg? :facepalm

Xiao Yao You
04-22-2014, 12:03 AM
[QUOTE]"You never want to see this happen to Ty, because he

Xiao Yao You
04-22-2014, 12:26 AM
[QUOTE]it

Xiao Yao You
04-22-2014, 12:29 AM
He believed in players earning their playing time, in working hard to get better, and teaching young guys to play the right way. More than anything else, Ty was praised by the Jazz front office for being a good man.

And fans hated him for it.

Ty is survived by his assistants Brad Jones and Alex Jensen.

So only these two are retained? Jerry's son-in-law of course!

Xiao Yao You
04-22-2014, 01:26 AM
Tony Jones: Boylen and Lindsey are close, share the same agent and he fits the profile. Obviously the downside to JB is his tenure with the Utes Twitter @Tjonessltrib

Jody Genessy: Intriguing Jazz head coach replacements: Mike Longabardi, Alex Jensen, Brad Jones, Fred Hoiberg, Ettore Messina, Andy Greer, among others. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Xiao Yao You
04-22-2014, 11:27 PM
Ettore Messina has emerged as a strong candidate to become the next head coach of the Utah Jazz.

Messina is currently head coach at CSKA and spent one season as an assistant for Mike Brown with the Los Angeles Lakers.

The Jazz announced on Monday that they would not renew the contract of Ty Corbin.

Jim Boylen is also a candidate, but his rough stint at the University of Utah could make selling his hire on the local fans difficult.

As bad as college coaches have been in the NBA You got to wonder how a European coach would do.

Xiao Yao You
04-22-2014, 11:28 PM
Isaiah Austin has announced his decision to declare for the 2014 NBA Draft.

Austin returned to Baylor for his sophomore season after a shoulder injury.

Austin is a 7-foot center currently projected to go early in the second round by Draft Express.

Could be there for the Jazz's 2nd round pick

Xiao Yao You
04-22-2014, 11:30 PM
Damien Inglis will declare for the 2014 NBA Draft.

Inglis recently participated in the Nike Hoop Summit with the World Team.

Several NBA scouts have told Yahoo Sports they are most attracted by Inglis' defensive ability.

Inglis said he has no NBA buyout with Chorale de Roanne Basket. DraftExpress.com projects him as the 32nd overall pick in this year's draft. Inglis said if he isn't comfortable with his potential draft position he might take his name out by the June 16 deadline.

"I want to develop my game with a good team who is very interested and focused on me," Inglis told Yahoo Sports. "I want to play in the league next year but it depends. I don't really want [to] take my name out."

early 2nd next year

Xiao Yao You
04-22-2014, 11:31 PM
K.J. McDaniels averaged 17.1 points, 7.1 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 2.7 blocks in 33.7 minutes per game last season.

mid late 1st

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2014, 12:20 AM
Former University of Utah coach Jim Boylen has emerged as an early, potential candidate for the job. Boylen is currently the lead assistant for the San Antonio Spurs and is close to Lindsey, going back to their days together with the Houston Rockets. The two also share the same agent.

Another name that has surfaced is Phoenix Suns assistant Mike Longabardi, who is credited with turning the Suns into a credible team on the defensive end.

Other potentially available coaches include George Karl, Jeff Van Gundy, Lionel Hollins, Byron Scott and Stan Van Gundy.

Scott's a new one. Was born in Utah.

[QUOTE]Lindsey said his search will be wide open and thorough. He made it clear, however, that the new coach will be tasked with upgrading a defense that finished at or near the bottom of the NBA in almost all major categories.

Which way Lindsey will go? Will he hire a proven veteran like Hollins? Or will he go with a younger coach like Longabardi? Will he stay within the confines of the NBA? Or will he look at the college ranks for someone like Iowa State

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2014, 12:27 AM
Lindsey left open the possibility of Corbin returning to the organization in some capacity.

"I don't want to speak for Ty and understand his range of emotions, from disappointment to anger to everything in between, but (he's) a good man who was a very good player, very good assistant that led us well through a tough three-plus years where there was significant change of personnel," Lindsey said. "So, I wouldn't rule anything out, just because he's that high of character.

Doubt that happens anytime soon.

"And I'll say this, as well: I think Ty is ... going to be a better coach or is potentially going to be a better head coach for his experience, and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him land on his feet to be a head coach and to do very well going forward. If that doesn't happen and he were to want to come back in some fashion, I don't think there's anybody within the organization that would prevent that."

Owner and CEO Greg Miller said in a statement that Corbin "has always represented the Jazz franchise in a first-class manner both on the court and in the community. He did a wonderful job of building relationships with the players and encouraged their growth throughout the season."

After jettisoning veteran salaries last summer, the Jazz started 1-14 amid injury woes, but improved as the season progressed. Rookie point guard Trey Burke started the season on the bench with a broken finger, pressed through a shooting slump and ended with a season-high 32 points in the final game. He averaged 12.8 points and 5.7 assists.

Despite the losses, the team never splintered. Players pointed to Corbin's positivity and the veteran influence of Marvin Williams and Richard Jefferson, who resurrected his career, shooting 41 percent from 3-point range and scoring 10.1 points after rarely playing at Golden State last year.

A lottery pick, another first-round choice and sizeable salary cap flexibility will benefit the Jazz and Corbin's successor this offseason. And there's plenty of promise in Enes Kanter, Derrick Favors and Alec Burks. The two big men improved in all statistical areas. Burks became a go-to scorer and ended up as the second-leading scorer despite playing as a reserve most of the season.

Only those 3 show promise?

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2014, 12:51 AM
[QUOTE]"Literally we haven

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2014, 12:57 AM
Lindsey's imprint was obvious in the deal that brought Trey Burke.
Believe Ty was pushing for that actually. That was a no brainer. They should have had a young pg the two previous years.

[QUOTE]

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2014, 03:00 AM
If George hadn’t still been available for the Jazz to take, this grade would be more like a B+. The fact is, however, the No. 1 player in that draft (at least judging after four seasons) was available to the Jazz and they didn’t take him.

A few data points in comparing Hayward and George at this point in their careers:

• Complexsports.com recently (Feb. 24) ranked the 25 best players in the NBA. They had George at No. 3, behind only Kevin Durant and LeBron James.

• This season, George finished 13th in the NBA with player impact estimate of 15.7 (Durant and James were No .1 and No. 2), while Hayward scored an 11.2 (the exact same as Jimmer Fredette, coincidentally), which was the second-best score on the Jazz behind Derrick Favors and just inside the top 100 in the league.

• In John Hollinger’s player efficiency rating, George finished at No. 26 with a rating of 20.16, while Hayward finished tied for the No. 98 spot with a 16.22.

• In Hollinger’s estimated wins added stat, George finished at No. 15 with a score of 13.9, while Hayward finished at No. 46 with an 8.0.

• In do-overs of the 2010 draft I found online, Hayward was selected anywhere from No. 6 to No. 11, while George was most often taken No. 1 and never slipped past No. 2.

The facts would seem to indicate at this point that the Jazz could have landed a top-20 (maybe even top-10 or top-5) NBA player in George but instead got a top-100 (maybe top-50) player in Hayward. Considering that the Jazz, like all pro sports teams, invest heavily to make sure they get their draft picks right, taking Hayward over George looks like a pretty big strike for the franchise.

Many other teams passed on George too.

The Jazz did well in selecting Evans in the second round, as he looks to have established himself as a player worthy of a rotation spot on an NBA roster — something most second-round picks do not accomplish in the NBA. Of all 60 players selected in the 2010 NBA draft that have played at least 2,000 minutes, Evans has the second-best career win shares per 48 minutes at .143, behind only George’s .149.

Grade on 2010 NBA draft: C+ (though still somewhat to be determined)

Mostly garbage time before this year for Jeremy though.

Trade of Deron Williams

It’s clear the Jazz made the right choice in trading Williams when and how they did. He was never going to lead the Jazz to a championship.

This season, according to Hollinger, Favors at the age of 22 had a PER of 19.01 (No. 44 in the NBA) and an EWA of 9.2. (No. 36). Williams at the age of 29 had a PER of 17.69 (No. 64) and an EWA of 6.9 (No. 65).

So, at least by some measures, it seems Favors is already a more valuable player than Williams, so even if the 2011 trade had just been a straight Williams/Favors swap, it could be considered a positive for the Jazz, especially considering the age and salary differences.

Factor in the two additional first-round picks, which ended up being a No. 3 in 2012 and a No. 27 in 2013, and the Jazz made out like bandits. Perhaps they could have used those picks more wisely, but that’s a different step to evaluate later on.

Grade on Williams trade: A+

Bullshit! They took the 2nd offer on the table and no other teams knew he was even available. Who cares what they got. Did they maximize what they have got?

Making Tyrone Corbin head coach in 2011

Considering that Sloan’s longtime assistant Phil Johnson decided to quit with him in 2011, the Jazz did the right thing giving Tyrone Corbin the job. Corbin had been watching and learning from Sloan and Johnson for seven years, and was considered a hot up-and-coming coaching prospect.

Looking back now, it’s impossible to know who the Jazz might have appointed midseason instead that would have done a better job long term. Even Jeff Hornacek, a strong candidate for the NBA Coach of the Year award for the unbelievable job he’s done in his first season with the Phoenix Suns, was only a part-time shooting coach for the Jazz at the time. It would have been crazy for the Jazz to promote Hornacek instead of Corbin to head coach in 2011. Interestingly, it was Corbin that made the decision to bring Hornacek on as a full-time assistant coach after he was promoted.

Grade for promoting Corbin: B+

He had been interviewed for other jobs. It made perfect sense. He's been in a bad spot all along.

Handling of Corbin after he was named head coach in February 2011

When Corbin was promoted following Sloan’s resignation, the Jazz made it clear they did not view it as merely an interim promotion, but as a long-term hire. They quickly gave Corbin a three-year contract to remain head coach of the franchise.

Owner Greg Miller said at the time: “I am confident that Tyrone is the right man to lead this team into the future. He is someone with longstanding ties to the Jazz and this community, and who has embraced the core philosophies and ideals this organization holds true. I feel that his character and leadership qualities will be true assets to the Jazz moving forward for many years to come.”

General manager Kevin O’Connor said: “He is ready for this job and we feel certain he will excel as a head coach just as he excelled as an assistant coach and as a player.”

Judging by these words of Miller and O’Connor, Corbin’s tenure as the Jazz’s head coach has to be viewed as a disappointment.

Looking back, the mistake the Jazz made was signing Corbin through the 2013-14 season. Jazz management should have had the foresight to recognize that a major rebuilding season was possible in 2013-14 — given the player contracts set to expire before that season — and therefore should have only signed Corbin through 2012-13.

What they probably already knew was that Deron was going to be dealt.

Instead, the Jazz ended up putting their coach and players in an awkward situation and allowed Hornacek, one of the most promising basketball coaches in the world today, to walk out the door to Phoenix.

Who could have known Hornacek would be such a good head coach?

Anyone with a clue! His dad was a coach. he was like another coach o the floor. Not surprising at all.

Not me. As an outsider I was fully on the Corbin bandwagon. But Jazz management gets paid a lot of money to have such inclinations.

Grade for long-term handling of Corbin: D+

2011 NBA draft

The Jazz, still with O’Connor as general manager, went into the 2011 draft with picks No. 3 and No. 12, which they used to select Enes Kanter and Alec Burks. Despite being the third pick overall, however, Kanter is 19th in most minutes of players from the 2011 draft. Burks is just ahead of him at No. 18 in minutes played. At this point it seems the Jazz are unsure, at best, of what they have in Kanter and Burks.

We’ll never know how the Jazz might have been able to use these draft picks in trades, so all we can really do is look at what other players they could have drafted.

As already mentioned, 17 players from this draft have played more minutes thus far than Kanter or Burks. Players the Jazz could have drafted include: Klay Thompson, Kawhi Leonard, Kenneth Faried, Kemba Walker, Nikola Vucevic, Chandler Parsons, Jimmy Butler, Reggie Jackson and Markieff Morris.

Regardless of whom the Jazz might have picked, it’s doubtful they would have played them enough minutes for us to know whether they’re any better than Kanter or Burks right now.

Grade for 2011 draft: C (though largely still to be determined)

Again so ould other teams. Kanter and Burks are good. Remains to be seen how that draft or any of these drafts shake out still.

Hiring Dennis Lindsey as general manager in August 2012

As of yet, Lindsey has not had the time to earn the trust or distrust of Jazz fans. That certainly won’t be the case much longer, given the summer the Jazz have ahead of them.

Grade for hiring Lindsey: To be determined

If he really could have had a #1 pick for Marvin he should be fired!

Decision to let Jefferson and Millsap leave for nothing

In February of 2013, the Jazz chose to let the trade deadline pass without making any trades, a puzzling move to many fans and NBA insiders considering the quality of the players and contracts the Jazz had available — Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap being at the top of the list.

Instead, Jefferson and Millsap left the organization as free agents following the season, netting the Jazz nothing in return except cap space.

Dennis Lindsey admitted after the deadline that the Jazz were “very” popular in trade talks but declined to mention any specifics. Without knowing what was on the table for the Jazz in trade offers, it’s impossible to fully evaluate the decision to stand pat.

Having said that, I feel comfortable in saying there must have been a way the Jazz could have pulled at least one decent long-term asset in exchange for Jefferson and Millsap, but they failed to do so.

Grade for 2013 trade deadline: C-

They did. The GS deal doesn't happen if they take on other contracts for Millsap and Jefferson. Letting guys go in fa isn't getting nothing the way the NBA works. Get tired of hearing that. We don't know what they could have got or if it would have been better. Bringing back Millsap and Demarre would have been the thing to do in my opinion but I'm the only one in that camp.

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2014, 03:04 AM
[QUOTE]2013 NBA draft

The Jazz made a move to trade up and nab Trey Burke with the 9th pick. Interestingly, there is potential for this draft to end up looking very similar to the 2010 draft for the Jazz

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2014, 11:40 AM
Clint Capela officially declared for the 2014 NBA Draft. The Swiss forward is averaging 9.6 points, 7.4 rebounds, 1.2 assists and 1.8 blocks in Pro A while in Eurocup he scored 11.2 points with 6.5 rebounds per game. Sportando

mid first

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2014, 10:53 PM
Jody Genessy: Jazz president Randy Rigby said team's "exhaustive" coaching search will include 20-plus candidates during an interview on 1280. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

That's a lot of candidates! More than have been rumored so far so it will be interesting to see who else makes the list.

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2014, 10:55 PM
Marc Stein: NBA coaching sources have identified another prime candidate for the Utah Jazz opening: Hawks assistant Quin Snyder Twitter @ESPNSteinLine

Marc Stein: Snyder worked w/Jazz GM Dennis Lindsey in San Antonio and, interestingly, spent a season w/CSKA Moscow studying Lindsey pal Ettore Messina Twitter @ESPNSteinLine

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2014, 10:59 PM
Gery Woelfel: A couple NBA sources tell me 76ers have Andrew Wiggins in their draft crosshairs. Twitter @GeryWoelfel

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2014, 11:02 PM
[QUOTE]Former Louisville forward Chane Behanan has hired an agent and will declare this week for the NBA Draft, a source close to the situation told SNY.tv.

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2014, 11:13 PM
[QUOTE]Don

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2014, 11:25 PM
[QUOTE]In pro basketball, a player

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2014, 11:36 PM
[QUOTE]Lindsey

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2014, 11:41 PM
the Jazz have just $27 million in guaranteed contracts on their payroll for next year, when the salary cap is expected to increase to around $63 million. Jazz GM Dennis Lindsey has said the team is willing to pay up to the luxury tax, giving them plenty of room to sign restricted free agent Gordon Hayward and still make a max deal at some point down the road.

Which max player are they going to be able to get or even want? G, Burks and Kanter could take up most of that money.

[QUOTE] By the end of the season, the Jazz

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2014, 11:44 PM
The online sports book Bovada.lv has put together some odds on who could be the man to replace Ty Corbin, with former U. of U. coach Jim Boylen and the European coaching star Ettore Messina as the early frontrunners.

Here's how they stack up:

Jim Boylen — 2/1
Ettore Messina — 4/1
Mike Longabardi — 11/2
Andy Greer — 11/2
Brad Jones — 11/2
Jeff Van Gundy — 11/2
Lionel Hollins — 6/1
Stan Van Gundy — 15/2

— Aaron Falk

My money is on Longabardi or Greer right now.

Xiao Yao You
04-23-2014, 11:52 PM
Burks nearly led the team in free-throw attempts on the season with 373, just behind Hayward, despite playing eight fewer minutes a game. He finished a respectable 74.8 percent shooting from the line.

That is not a respectable FT% for a guard. He was improving as the season went on.

Burks has never been known for his verbosity, speaking in short snippets and acting like he’d just as soon be getting stuffed by Blake Griffin than talking to the media. However, before he left for his home in Kansas City for the summer, he opened up a bit about the season and his future.

“I did what (coach Tyrone Corbin) wanted me to do and did it to the best of my ability,’’ he said. “I was a more mature player, knowing the surroundings, always being in an attack mode on both sides of the floor.’’

One of the criticisms of the current Jazz team is that it doesn’t have a No. 1 scorer or a player that can become one in the future. Burks didn’t hesitate when asked it he could become such a player.

“I definitely feel like I can,’’ he said. “I’ve got the talent to be. I’ve got the competitiveness to be. I feel like I can become a great player in this league with my athletic ability and potential. I think I can be real good in this league.’’

He, Kanter and Burke are the only guys that fit the mold of scorer.

When asked about what he needs to improve on most, Burks said, “Probably shooting. Everybody can improve on that.’’

Still, Burks shot better than every other perimeter player on the Jazz, and only inside men Derrick Favors, Enes Kanter and Jeremy Evans shot better.

He probably shot a higher % of shots at the rim than them and many of those he ended up at the line with no shot attempt.

Lindsey says the 6-foot-6, 210-pound Burks needs to improve his strength.

“As he gets stronger, he’ll improve his productivity at the rim and the free-throw line,’’ he said.

As he heads into his fourth year, Burks is in a similar position Hayward and Derrick Favors were a year ago with his rookie contract to end after the season. He could sign a new contract as Favors did or wait until after the season and become a restricted free agent like Hayward. He wouldn’t say which way he was leaning.

“I can’t talk about extensions, that’s up in the air,’’ he said. “The Jazz are a great organization and my agent’s good so they’ll work all that out. I feel like I’m going to have another great summer and take my game to the next level. I feel I proved what I can do and I improved a lot over the year and got better over the summer.”

For Burks, the future looks bright, whether it’s with the Jazz or another NBA team.

“I’m 22. I’m still young — most people are just getting out of college at my age,’’ he said. “I’m playing in the NBA, just getting better, improving as a man off the court and maturing. It’s all about self-growth.’’

I could see them possibly getting him for a good price. He might take the money rather than risk injury next season with the way he plays. And after the way things went with G taking the money might look like an even better option. He'll be their main focus probably after G(and hopefully a pg). They could sign Kanter for the right price but they won't want to overpay him with his future on the Jazz more uncertain.

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2014, 12:26 AM
[QUOTE]Boylen has had a longstanding relationship with Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey, dating back to when both worked for the Houston Rockets. Since getting fired at Utah, Boylen served two years as an assistant for the Indiana Pacers and is currently Gregg Popovich

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2014, 12:31 AM
[QUOTE]Born in Italy, the 54-year-old has won four Euroleague championships as a head coach and is the presumptive favorite to be the first international head coach to break into the NBA coaching fraternity.

Former BYU Cougar Travis Hansen played in the NBA and internationally and for years, he either played for or against Messina.

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2014, 09:16 PM
[QUOTE]Jim Boylen is part of the next wave of head-coaching prospects, according to Kevin Arnovitz at ESPN.com.

Arnovitz acknowledges Boylen's rough performance during his four seasons at Utah. However, he also points out that he's gotten back into his element as an assistant coach at Indiana, and now as the head assistant to Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich.

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2014, 09:23 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/67711/the-next-wave-of-head-coaching-prospects

That arcticle:

[QUOTE]Quin Snyder, Atlanta Hawks assistant coach

It seems like eons ago, but there was a time when Snyder was basketball

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2014, 09:27 PM
[QUOTE]Adrian Griffin, Chicago Bulls assistant coach

Odd as it seems to pair a couple of Thibodeau bench assistants on a diverse list of seven prospective head coaches, Pinckney and Griffin both attracted heavy mention, usually independent of each other.

Griffin is not yet 40 -- 39 until July, he's more than 11 years younger than Pinckney -- which means there are a bunch of people in the game who have watched him grow up from youth camps to his stint now as a lead assistant to Thibodeau. Those who have say that, since high school, Griffin has displayed a polished maturity that screams NBA head coach.

He had barely filed his retirement papers in 2008 when Scott Skiles and the Milwaukee Bucks offered him a job as an assistant. After two seasons with the Bucks, Griffin joined Thibodeau, with whom he

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2014, 09:29 PM
[QUOTE]Kevin Ollie, University of Connecticut head coach

With a few waivers granted for region or diploma, much of the NBA was rooting for UConn the night of the 2014 NCAA title game.

Ollie was one of the league

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2014, 09:32 PM
[QUOTE]David Vanterpool, Portland Trail Blazers assistant coach

It

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2014, 09:34 PM
[QUOTE]Jim Boylen, San Antonio Spurs assistant coach

Thanks to the success of Steve Clifford in Charlotte, the nomadic, 50-ish, affable, well-respected grinder has come into fashion. And if you

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2014, 09:38 PM
[QUOTE]Ed Pinckney, Chicago Bulls assistant coach

Though they

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2014, 09:43 PM
[QUOTE]Several themes surfaced in conversations with team execs, coaches and league insiders about how teams size up a candidate who has never previously served as an NBA head coach:

Fewer obvious names
Those asked to reel off names who excited them struggled to come up with more than a couple. The same question last spring found no such hesitation.

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2014, 09:56 PM
Last year's:

[QUOTE]What does an NBA head coaching candidate look like in 2013?

A few new trends have emerged in the coaching ranks, namely the Rise of the Video Kids (see Spoelstra, Erik; Vogel, Frank), but most hires in the NBA follow a well-trodden path. Owners and executives love a track record of success and will pay top dollar for a big name. NBA assistants with winning pedigrees are still popular, as are former NBA players who look the part. In general, guys whose career numbers are visible on Basketball Reference are preferable to those who never suited up in the NBA, while college coaches are viewed with a jaundiced eye.

Some of these biases make sense on the surface, but general managers and owners are often driven by their aversion to risk. By and large, a head coaching hire ranks behind only free agency and the draft as a primary factor when measuring a front office

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2014, 09:57 PM
[QUOTE]Robert Pack, Los Angeles Clippers assistant coach

Had Vinny Del Negro not been granted a reprieve by Clippers owner Donald T. Sterling in March 2012, Pack would have been a playoff head coach last season as Del Negro

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2014, 10:02 PM
Khem Birch: After careful consideration with my family Coach Rice and inner circle I've decided to declare for the 2014 NBA draft #rebel4Life Twitter

mid 2nd

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2014, 10:09 PM
[QUOTE]After many complicated months, Spencer Dinwiddie has decided to forgo his senior season and enter the NBA draft. Dinwiddie tore his anterior cruciate ligament while driving to the basket against Washington in mid-January and missed the rest of the season for the Buffs. The setback

Xiao Yao You
04-25-2014, 12:08 AM
Best Utah Jazz turnaround seasons

+15 1983-84 (30-52 to 45-37): Earned their first playoff berth as rookie Thurl Bailey joined Adrian Dantley and Darrell Griffith. Frank Layden was NBA coach of the year in his second full season.

Rickey Green and Eaton too.

+15 2005-06 (26-56 to 41-41): Rookie Deron Williams joined Mehmet Okur, Carlos Boozer and Andrei Kirilenko and helped lead Jazz to brink of playoffs.

Deron was 3rd string part of the season.

+10 2006-07 (41-41 to 51-31): Jazz rookie Paul Millsap and Derek Fisher, acquired in a trade with Golden State, each played in all 82 games and helped Utah reach Western Conference finals.

+9 1996-97 (55-27 to 64-18): Bryon Russell took over as starter and set team record for 3-pointers, and rookie Shandon Anderson provided spark off the bench.

+7 1994-95 (53-29 to 60-22): Jeff Hornacek averaged 16.5 ppg in first full season with Jazz, Antoine Carr joined team and was top player off bench.

Antoine was never as good again unfortunately.

They could easily join this list possibly even at the top of it.

[QUOTE]SALT LAKE CITY

Xiao Yao You
04-25-2014, 12:40 AM
Utah has officially entered the Dennis Lindsey era, as any future action that the Jazz make will be guided by his principles and basketball beliefs.

I'd say it entered his era draft day last year. He made a big statement with 3 deals. The tank wouldn't have happened if Jerry was there. They tried it after Stockton/Malone.

[QUOTE]So, the big question remains

Xiao Yao You
04-25-2014, 08:06 AM
Nick Lotsos: Lefteris Bochoridis has officially declared for this year's NBA Draft. Twitter

Not listed at draftexpress so I assume undrafted.

According to the sources, one of the top European prospects Martin Peterka will declare for the 2014 NBA Draft. Czech forward had also an option to go to college, but decided to become pro. 19-year old Peterka has a great season in Czech Rep. NBL. After 43 games this season his stats are: 9.1ppg, 5.0rpg in 20.7mpg. He helped his team to win Czech Rep. Cup earlier this season. Last summer he shined at European Championships U18 in Latvia, where he averaged 13.7ppg, Reb-5 (9.1rpg), 1.7apg, 1.0spg. He also represented his country at Eurobasket.com

undrafted

Xiao Yao You
04-25-2014, 07:15 PM
The national champion Connecticut Huskies will lose an underclassman to the NBA draft, league sources tell Yahoo Sports: junior DeAndre Daniels. Daniels will file the paperwork with the league office and declare himself eligible for the June draft, sources said. Yahoo! Sports

late first

Xiao Yao You
04-26-2014, 12:38 AM
Adam Zagoria: NBA scout on Khem Birch: "He is a 2nd-round possibility at best. He can block a shot but is a raw offensive player who needs D-League experience to start his professional career no matter who drafts him." Twitter -

Xiao Yao You
04-26-2014, 12:38 AM
Shams Charania: Davidson's De'Mon Brooks received thorough competition from agents, deciding today on Keith Kreiter of Edge Sports. Possible 2nd rounder. Twitter @ShamsCharania

Xiao Yao You
04-26-2014, 03:19 AM
Mitch McGary Declares For NBA Draft After Testing Positive For Marijuana
Apr 25, 2014 10:58 AM EDT

Mitch McGary has declared for the 2014 NBA Draft after testing positive for marijuana.

McGary would face a year-long suspension during what would be his junior season at Michigan.

McGary told Yahoo! That he smoked marijuana one night in mid-March.

McGary played in only eight games in 13-14 before a back injury ended his season.

According to multiple NBA scouts, McGary is a likely second-rounder -- depending on how his medical testing goes with NBA teams.

Xiao Yao You
04-26-2014, 04:24 PM
Misko Raznatovic: Dario Saric, officially, declared himself for draft 2014. Twitter

Top 10 if he stays in. I think he would stay in Europe at least another season even if drafted.

Xiao Yao You
04-26-2014, 10:43 PM
Even though most Jazz fans are focused on what could potentially be a top five pick, Utah does have a second choice in the first round, and these are some of the players who will be taken into serious consideration for that spot.

and a high 2nd not long after that no one seems to care about either

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865601867/The-2014-NBA-draft-tracker-breaking-down-the-underclassmen-who-have-mid--to-late-first-round-talent.html

Xiao Yao You
04-27-2014, 10:53 AM
Adrian Wojnarowski: After changing course, sophomore guard Jordan Adams will leave UCLA and enter the NBA Draft, source tells Yahoo Sports. Twitter @WojYahooNBA

late 1st

Xiao Yao You
04-28-2014, 12:49 PM
Latvian prospect Kristaps Porzingis, who plays for Cajasol Sevilla in the Spanish ACB, will declare for the 2014 NBA Draft, according to DraftExpress' Jonathan Givony. Porzingis was projected to be a top-15 pick in the 2015 draft, and could be selected in the first round this year. SB Nation

Xiao Yao You
04-28-2014, 02:36 PM
Brazilian forward Bruno Caboclo (Pinheiros, 1995, 2,06m) declares for NBA Draft 2014. UOL Esporte

undrafted?

Xiao Yao You
04-28-2014, 03:10 PM
Jody Genessy: Received yet another indication that Jim Boylen remains the lead candidate in the Utah Jazz's coaching search. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Xiao Yao You
04-28-2014, 07:31 PM
Chane Behanan, who was dismissed from Louisville in December, will enter the NBA draft, he confirmed via text message to ESPN.com's Jeff Goodman. Behanan's decision was earlier reported by The Coloradoan. "I love the game and I want to compete with the best," he told ESPN. "I also want to show the NBA and the people that Chane Behanan wasn't raised like everybody talks about. My family was devastated about my decision-making in the past, and believe me I've heard it from them still [until] this day. But I am human. It's behind us and it's nothing but moving forward from here on out." ESPN.com

undrafted

Mateusz Ponitka officially announces he will enter 2014 NBA. TVP Sport

undrafted

Xiao Yao You
04-28-2014, 08:18 PM
[QUOTE]Garrett played almost a full year with the Jazz, backing up Trey Burke, averaging 3.7 points and 1.8 assists per game. He

El Kabong
04-30-2014, 01:20 AM
Jody Genessy: Received yet another indication that Jim Boylen remains the lead candidate in the Utah Jazz's coaching search. Twitter @DJJazzyJody
He fits the background of what Lindsey has been doing, so he looks like the guy. No idea if he can coach and what his philosophy's are like. He's obviously worked under some tremendous head coaches though, 11 years with Rudy Tomjanovich at Houston and then this year with Gregg Popovich.

Certainly wouldn't call his stints with guys like Mussleman and Porter anything to write home about, but Frank Vogel is a decent coach too.

Xiao Yao You
04-30-2014, 09:23 PM
He fits the background of what Lindsey has been doing, so he looks like the guy. No idea if he can coach and what his philosophy's are like. He's obviously worked under some tremendous head coaches though, 11 years with Rudy Tomjanovich at Houston and then this year with Gregg Popovich.

Certainly wouldn't call his stints with guys like Mussleman and Porter anything to write home about, but Frank Vogel is a decent coach too.

Mussleman and his dad know d and Porter knew Adelman's offensive system so I'm sure there were things to pick up there as well. The thing he has going against him which is hard to ignore is his time at the University of Utah. The fans are already against him and that was a big problem for Ty by the end. Not the way to go into the job. Put a lot of pressure on him to win right away.

Xiao Yao You
04-30-2014, 09:29 PM
The National Basketball Association announced today that 75 players, including 45 players from colleges and 30 international players season have filed as early entry candidates for the 2014 NBA Draft presented by State Farm. NBA.com

Players wishing to enter the 2014 NBA Draft were required to submit a letter to the NBA to be received no later than Sunday, April 27. Players who have applied for early entry have the right to withdraw their names from consideration for the Draft by notifying the NBA of their decision in writing no later than 5 p.m. ET on Monday, June 16. NBA.com

Gino Pilato: There is also speculation that the Utah Jazz will hybrid with Idaho Stampede after the Portland Trail Blazers moved on following the season. Twitter @DleagueDigest

Narrows down who's available now anyway.

Idaho makes sense. I guess that's Boise? I think it might be a little further away than the planned St. George location but better airport access to send players back and forth. Much needed development. No reason not have guys playing big minutes in whatever the Jazz's system will be in the minors as opposed to sitting on the bench in the NBA.

Xiao Yao You
05-01-2014, 01:52 AM
[QUOTE]Messina is a viable candidate because he is very good friends with Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey. A small-market team that doesn

Xiao Yao You
05-01-2014, 02:06 AM
[QUOTE]Mike Longabardi, an assistant coach who worked under Tom Thibodeau in Boston, has Phoenix playing a standard Thibodeau system with shocking success. Everyone is following the rules, Bledsoe is a freaking menace, and opponents are shooting only about 40 percent on close-range shots when Channing Frye, Morris, or Miles Plumlee is near the rim, per SportVU. That

Xiao Yao You
05-01-2014, 02:13 AM
All-Euroleague 1st Team

Sergio Rodriguez (Real) - 13.5 points, 2 rebounds and 5 assists in 23 minutes

Keith Langford (EA7 Emporio Armani) - 17.6 points, 3.4 rebounds and 2.9 assists in 30 minutes

Sonny Weems (CSKA) - 12.6 points, 3.5 rebounds and 3.6 assists in 29 minutes

Nikola Mirotic (Real) - 12.2 points (46 3FG%), 4.6 rebounds in 24 minutes

Ante Tomic (FC Barcelona) - 11.8 points, 6.3 rebounds in 22 minutes

Two years in a row. Seems like it's now or never for Tomic.

Xiao Yao You
05-02-2014, 07:28 AM
Tony Jones: Hearing rumblings that Stanford forward Josh Huestis will work out for the Utah Jazz on May 8 Twitter @Tjonessltrib

end of 2nd round

Xiao Yao You
05-06-2014, 06:16 PM
"I was very pleased with his natural decision-making, intelligence, instincts if you will," Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey said in sizing up Burke's performance this season. "And the ball gets to the right spot.

"It's very unusual to have a point guard that can score but still be very significant in the assists column. I think us managing that, managing his expectations along with that, but I think we have a good one that could be a real good starter in the league for a number of years.

"We talked a little bit about personal discipline," Lindsey said of his exit interview during the team's annual locker cleanout day in April. "Trey really wants to lead, not that he's undisciplined, but he's got to take it to a new level. And it would be hard for any 21-year-old point guard to come in and lead, even a very young group with little experience. I think Trey's ambition, his work ethic, his intelligence are all good characteristics that will provide a platform for him to move to greater heights. "

Burke, the 2013 college player of the year and consensus first-team All-American, agreed that there are parts of his game that are still a work in progress. But he seems determined to work hard and make improvements wherever they're needed.

"Getting stronger, staying focused more than anything," he said of his goals going forward from locker cleanout day. "What I took from it more than anything, they asked me how committed I am and if I want to be the best player I can be. There's certain things I need to do, which is working hard, staying focused, staying out of trouble, and basically turning my weaknesses into strengths.

"Finishing at the rim, getting to the bucket more, becoming a much more consistent shooter, I think I've grown a lot at being a pure point guard. I still don't think I'm a pure point guard yet, but that's the biggest difference right now is getting to the rim and finishing at the rim, being a more consistent shooter.

Not sure you ever will be a pure pg. Not many of those around.

[QUOTE]"And I think on the defensive end, Coach Ty (Corbin) said he knows I can defend," Burke said. "He's seen me defend before, he said it's a mindset to be willing to defend all the time. A good example of that is Chris Paul. It's more focus, defense is more of a mindset

Xiao Yao You
05-06-2014, 06:17 PM
"He thinks I have a better understanding of what they mean by having to work every single day," Burke said, grateful for the mentoring he received from Lucas. "It's really a job. I didn't know that coming into the league. I knew it was going to be tough and a lot of hard work, but it's really like a job. You've got to wake up every single day with that mindset that I need to get better today because you won't be the player that you can be, or you won't pull the potential out, unless you do that every single day.

"It's tough, man. You definitely wake up some days not feeling like going to practice and not feeling like doing something, but that's when you've got to push through. So I think I've got a better understanding of that now."

And don't forget that Burke missed the first 12 games of the regular season after suffering a broken index finger on his right hand during an exhibition game last October.

Once he came back, his head coach, Corbin — whose contract was not renewed by Jazz management — was impressed with the rookie point guard's performance.

"I think he's had a great year," Corbin said. "From the summer league and getting drafted and getting hurt at the beginning of the season and then learning, from being a scoring point guard to trying to change and trying to get used to the speed of this game, what we're trying to get him to do to initiate the offense and make plays on the ball at times, and make plays off the ball. And defensively, dealing with the different point guards he has to deal with on a nightly basis in this league.

"The attention to detail that he paid to everything from day one gave him a chance and will give him a chance going forward to be the player that he wants to be. He wants to be one of the best point guards in this league. And I think if he continues to work and stay focused like he did this year and continues to grow, he'll have a chance to reach his goal."

Teammates like forward Richard Jefferson, a 13-year NBA veteran, were also impressed by what they saw out of Burke's baptism by fire.

"I really think he did a good job," Jefferson said. "I think he had good role models around him, and he had good people that worked hard with him.

"He's 21 years old, he's a rookie, and I think the future is bright. Just continuing to work — that's really what the five main young guys need to do — and positive things will happen.

"He doesn't waver mentally; when he's on that court, he's locked in," Jefferson said. "And the more comfortable you get, the better you'll get. But he's 100 percent focused on the game and I think that shows in some of the big shots that he shoots and hits."

Ah, yes, those big shots that Burke hit in games.

There was that night against Orlando, when Burke buried a 3-pointer with 1.6 seconds left to lift the Jazz to victory over the Magic. Or the time he hit the clinching shot with 24 seconds left in Utah's victory over two-time defending NBA champion Miami. And the night his driving layup with 19.1 seconds left helped lift the Jazz past Charlotte.

And the season finale, when he scored an NBA career-high 32 points with seven rebounds and nine assists in Utah's double-overtime victory over Minnesota.

"Hitting some big shots in the fourth quarter, it kinda reminded me of being back in college and how comfortable I was out there down the stretch," Burke recalled. "A lot of times, I was comfortable back at Michigan, and sometimes I wasn't my first year here.

"I think I'm a lot more comfortable than I was at the beginning of the year and adjusted. ... Playing on the big stage in college, playing in front of big crowds, I remember being nervous before the game but come the fourth quarter, by that time, I'm just playing."

Of course, there were other nights this season, too, when Burke was a complete non-factor — a 1-for-8 shooting night at Atlanta, where he scored just two points; a 1-for-7 night and just two points at Oklahoma City; another 1-for-8 shooting night at Miami, where he managed 3 points; forgettable four-point nights against Cleveland (2 for 9), Golden State (2 for 10), New York (2 for 12) and Dallas (2 for 8); a 2-for-13 shooting night against the L.A. Clippers, and a 3-for-15 night against the Lakers, when he was 0 for 8 from 3-point range.

On the flip side of that, though, Burke was almost always great at taking care of the ball, committing more than four turnovers in a game just three times all season.

The turnovers, clutch shooting and his increasing assist totals as the season went on make me hopeful for his future.

Xiao Yao You
05-06-2014, 06:51 PM
[QUOTE]Jonathan Rinehart: The Jazz will hold the first pre-draft workouts of the off-season on Wednesday. Six players participating: Taylor Braun (North Dakota St), Bryce Cotton (Providence), Stephen Holt (St. Mary

Xiao Yao You
05-07-2014, 09:49 AM
Marc Stein: Latest on Steve Kerr front: Utah Jazz, I'm told, have also tried to wedge their way into the race for the TNT analyst alongside NYK and GSW Twitter @ESPNSteinLine

Jody Genessy: No surprise Jazz put feelers out to big names. It's also how DL approaches free agency. He'd rather be told no than assume no is the answer. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

No coaching experience. He makes more sense for NY.

Xiao Yao You
05-07-2014, 09:54 AM
The speculation of Utah possibly hiring Ettore Messina definitely has legs. Messina, currently the head coach of CSKA Moscow, is well respected in the coaching fraternity and, more important, has a great rapport with some Utah front office officials. Racine Journal-Times

Xiao Yao You
05-07-2014, 05:54 PM
The Utah Jazz will begin their annual pre-draft workouts Wednesday with six players who aren't exactly household names or penciled in as high picks.

The group includes guards Taylor Braun (North Dakota State), Bryce Cotton (Providence) and Stephen Holt (St. Mary's) along with forwards Akil Mitchell (Virginia), Mike Moser (Oregon) and Ronald Roberts Jr. (St. Joseph's).

Perhaps the most newsworthy part of this first workout is the fact it will be led by player development coaches Alex Jensen and Johnnie Bryant, who have been retained on the staff by Jazz management in the wake of the decision to not renew the contracts of Tyrone Corbin's coaching crew.

None of the players are projected to be first-round picks and are considered long shots in the second round.

Only two players from this group are on ESPN analyst Chad Ford's Top 100 player board. Cotton, a 6-1, 165-pound point guard, is ranked highest at 62, while Moser (6-8, 195) is listed at No. 65.

The Jazz held a bevy of similar workouts last year and a free agent mini-camp while trying to compile as much information on as many players as possible.

The NBA Draft will take place on June 26. The Jazz will find out on May 20 at the NBA Draft Lottery where they will pick. Utah is in the fourth position after beating Boston in a fourth-place tiebreaker.

Xiao Yao You
05-07-2014, 06:00 PM
[QUOTE]Messina isn

Xiao Yao You
05-07-2014, 06:05 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865602564/Will-new-Utah-Jazz-coach-fit-typical-NBA-profile-or-will-organization-think-outside-the-box.html

Xiao Yao You
05-07-2014, 06:25 PM
[QUOTE]Scott Skiles

He

Xiao Yao You
05-07-2014, 06:27 PM
Before a few years ago, there hasn't been much of a place for Mike Moser types in the NBA. You know, those tweener types who don't quite have a frontcourt position

But that's changed of late, and you can see the impact those guys have, even in the playoffs.

Check Atlanta, where Mike Scott came off the bench and lit Indiana up over seven games in the first round that ended on Saturday. He's 6-foot-8, athletic and most importantly can shoot it from the perimeter.

That's Mike Moser, or at least what Mike Moser wants to be at the NBA level. The former Oregon forward worked out for the Utah Jazz on Wednesday morning, showcasing his shooting and versatility. He's not big enough to be a power forward, not quite nimble enough or ball savvy enough to play small forward.

But he can shoot it, and he can handle it well enough. He's mature - having played four seasons of college ball - and he's one of those guys who could come out of nowhere and make a roster.

"I just tried to be whatever, and play wherever on the floor," Moser said. "I think that I can play both positions and I think that I can definitely contribute at the next level."

Moser began his career at UNLV, eventually establishing himself as one of the better combination forwards in the country. He transferred to Oregon and played his last season with the Ducks.

In the process, Moser began expanding his range, hitting shots from beyond the arc and rebounding the ball like he's always done. He's projected as a late second round pick at best. But he's attempting to work his way up draft boards by shining in workouts.

Tony Jones

Xiao Yao You
05-07-2014, 07:37 PM
Jody Genessy: Jazz's pre-draft workout group for Thursday: Travis Bader, Justin Cobbs, Cameron Clark, Fuquan Edwin, Josh Huestis and Joe Jackson. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Looks like likely undrafted guys again. No one else appears to be working out guys yet so kudos to the Jazz. How ab out a coach though?

Xiao Yao You
05-07-2014, 07:49 PM
Jody Genessy: I'm told Jazz CFO/Fanzz president/capologist Bob Hyde will begin to "phase out" of duties after draft, not fully retire as SLCDunk reported. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

O'Conner's right hand man. Maybe Lindsey has his own guy?

Xiao Yao You
05-07-2014, 08:13 PM
Aaron Falk: Jazz VP of player personnel Walt Perrin: "Is this draft going to be similar to the year that LeBron and Carmelo and Dwyane Wade [were drafted]? I don't think so. I don't know if anything ever lives up to the hype... But is it going to be a better draft than we've had in the past? It can be."" Twitter @tribjazz

Aaron Falk: Jazz VP of player personnel Walt Perrin: "Franchise players. All-Stars. That's what we're looking to get. But we also understand that we need depth." Twitter @tribjazz

Need stars. Depth isn't hard to get.

Jody Genessy: Jerry Sloan observed this first Jazz pre-draft workout. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Tony Jones: The Utah Jazz will hold workouts tomorrow as well. Six players, which we will know later in the day Twitter @Tjonessltrib

Who'd Jerry like? He liked Gobert last year.

Xiao Yao You
05-07-2014, 10:34 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsjazznotes/57916278-62/story.csp

Xiao Yao You
05-07-2014, 10:35 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/top/2483/1/Taylor-Braun-North-Dakota-State-The-2014-NBA-draft-tracker-A-look-at-the-players-the-Jazz.html

Xiao Yao You
05-08-2014, 07:13 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsjazznotes/57920677-62/bader-jazz-players-edwin.html.csp

Altitude has been mentioned by nearly every prospect in the first two days of workouts.
But reflecting back on past workouts, Perrin said it was a player who trained at sea level that most impressed him with his fitness over the years.
"The one guy we had who was going as hard as he was at the beginning and wasn't breathing hard was [Warriors forward] David Lee," Perrin said.

Too bad you weren't smart enough to draft him.

Xiao Yao You
05-08-2014, 07:16 PM
[QUOTE]It was a tight race between Jamal Crawford and Taj Gibson for the NBA's Sixth Man of the Year award.

But after the Clippers' spark plug and the first man off the Bulls' bench, the rest of the field was a little less certain. One player who received a vote surprised quite a few people, myself included.

Jazz center Enes Kanter got a second-place vote from Denver Nuggets play-by-play voice Jason Kosmicki.

After beginning the season as a starter, Kanter was moved to the bench for an extended period of time. The center averaged career highs in points (12.3) and rebounds (7.5) during his third season with the Jazz.

But Kanter wasn't even the first player off the Utah bench.

That job belonged to guard Alec Burks.

Turns out, Kanter wasn't supposed to get a Sixth Man vote at all.
On Twitter, Kosmicki said a mistake had been made and his ballot

Xiao Yao You
05-08-2014, 07:29 PM
Specifically, what is the team looking for?

Xiao Yao You
05-08-2014, 07:30 PM
[QUOTE]The team acknowledged Hyde's impending retirement but has not announced who will replace him with the Jazz and Fanzz. Assistant general manager Justin Zanik is also considered to be an expert on salary-cap-related issues.

Director of communications Jonathan Rinehart provided a statement on behalf of the Jazz organization about Hyde:

Xiao Yao You
05-08-2014, 07:37 PM
Fernandez, Rodriguez, Weems, Tomic, Langford On All-Euroleague First Team
May 08, 2014 12:15 PM EDT

Rudy Fernandez, Keith Langford, Sergio Rodriguez, Ante Tomic and Sonny Weems have been named to the All-Euroleague First Team.

On the All-Euroleague Second Team are Nikola Mirotic, Ricky Hickman, Viktor Khryapa, Stephane Lasme and Vassilis Spanoulis.

Click here to view all Euroleague awards for the 13-14 season.

Via RealGM Staff Report

Xiao Yao You
05-08-2014, 11:46 PM
Idaho and Fort Wayne would remain the only unaffiliated D-League teams, leaving the NBA to decide how the other 15 NBA teams will make D-League assignments. Arizona Republic

15 teams for 2 D-League teams? That is ridiculous.

I thought Idaho was the Jazz's affiliate?

Xiao Yao You
05-11-2014, 01:15 AM
http://www.slcdunk.com/2014/5/10/5704594/utah-jazz-nba-injury-update-raul-neto-fractured-hand-is-healing

At the end of this season he will become what is an Unrestricted Free Agent, but whatever that is called in Europe. Thus, he will no longer have an obligation to STAY in Spain, nor will he need a buyout. (Peter, you wanna get up on this? Correct me...?)

No buyout? Sounds like they better bring him over before he signs another more restrictive contract.

Anyway, the Jazz need serious help at point guard. Diante Garrett was a very special surprise (especially how he shot the ball from deep, 37.5 3pt%, but only 1.4 attempts per game) last season, and was clearly superior to John Lucas III. The Jazz may draft a point guard to support or supplant Trey Burke as the starter. And there's always free agency -- Utah is such a big player in that every year. (Nope.)

They better be. A veteran pg is needed more than anything else.

I think we all fell in love with Neto, and hope he comes to the Jazz next season. He's a pass first point guard who grew up basing his game off of John Stockton. The injury to his shooting hand sucks, but is repairable. I hope he takes extra care this off season to work on his shot. A point guard in the NBA needs to be able to hit that ball rotation three in the half court.

This is something Neto has not yet shown an affinity for.

I'm guessing d may be a bigger issue but I definitely liked what I saw from him. He outplayed Burke. It's too bad they didn't give him the chance to go head to head with Burke in fall camp. Hopefully this year. Be interesting to see how they compare during summer league which I assume both will be part of.

Drafting Exum or Smart might make both of them irrelevant in a hurry.

Xiao Yao You
05-11-2014, 04:23 PM
Kansas' Joel Embiid and Duke's Jabari Parker

Xiao Yao You
05-11-2014, 09:37 PM
[QUOTE]Baxter Holmer: Have also heard that potential top-3 pick Andrew Wiggins is unlikely to attend the Chicago draft combine this week. Twitter @BaxterHolmes

Scott Howard-Cooper: Front offices have noted for a while Parker was not in great shape last season. If his agent still needs to hide him, it

Xiao Yao You
05-11-2014, 09:43 PM
Steve Kyler: NBA execs say Parker's draft stock likely unchanged -- however point to Embiid's back as a red flag in this decision. Twitter @stevekylerNBA

Xiao Yao You
05-11-2014, 11:13 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski: Andrew Wiggins has informed the NBA that he has withdrawn from the draft combine in Chicago this week, league source tells Yahoo. Once it was learned that Embiid and Parker wouldn't go to draft combine, it was probably inevitable Wiggins' reps would pull him too. Twitter @WojYahooNBA

and who else?

Xiao Yao You
05-12-2014, 04:02 PM
Chad Ford: Sources: Randle, Exum, Gordon, Vonleh, Ennis, McDermott, Stauskas unlikely to participate in drills at NBA Draft Combine Twitter @chadfordinsider

Exum might be hard to get a look at if he tries to get himself on the Lakers as has been reported.

Sam Amico: #NBA announces Las Vegas Summer League will be held July 11-21. Will again consist of single-elimination tourney format. Twitter @SamAmicoFSO

Xiao Yao You
05-12-2014, 04:04 PM
Chad Ford: NBA just released official NBA Draft Combine list. Take a look http://t.co/CgJBCVzSGl Twitter @chadfordinsider

Chad Ford: MSU

Xiao Yao You
05-12-2014, 05:25 PM
The Los Angeles Lakers released their full preseason schedule today and, as usual, the Jazz will be making a trip to Southern California.

The two teams play in Anaheim on Oct. 16 and at Staples Center on Oct. 19.
Elsewhere, the Vegas summer league dates came out today.

No surprises.

The league tips off July 11 at the Thomas and Mack Center.

Other relevant information from the league's release:

Xiao Yao You
05-12-2014, 10:37 PM
That Michigan State-injuries-and-illnesses thing is following Adreian Payne into his professional career. Payne has mononucleosis and won't be able to participate in workouts or basketball-related activities at the NBA predraft camp in Chicago this week, his agent, Mark Bartelstein, said in a phone interview. Payne is still planning to attend the combine for interviews and medical checks. Bartelstein said he isn't sure how long Payne has had mono but that it has been improving lately. "We think he'll be fully healthy in a couple weeks," Bartelstein said of Payne, who has been living in Chicago and preparing for the June 26 NBA draft. Payne missed seven games as a senior at MSU with a foot sprain.

Detroit Free Press

Xiao Yao You
05-12-2014, 11:31 PM
Teams will play in three games between July 11-15 and then have at least two games in a tournament format from July 16-21.
The NBA has confirmed that its summer league will take place in Las Vegas from July 11-21. As previously reported, the Utah Jazz will be among the participating teams in Sin City instead of Orlando, where the organization had gone since the Rocky Mountain Revue folded in 2009.

Teams will play in three games between July 11-15 and then have at least two games in a tournament format from July 16-21 at various sites in Las Vegas, including the COX Pavilion and the Thomas & Mack Center.

The Vegas summer league will be open to the public and televised on NBA TV.

Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey said the organization will hold a training camp in Salt Lake City leading up to the summer league. It's possible one of the practices will be open to the public as a way to engage fans in the offseason.

The Jazz signed rookie guard Ian Clark, last year's championship game MVP, after the Belmont sharpshooter helped the Golden State Warriors win the tourney by scoring 33 points in the finale.

Jazz participants in the summer league could include Trey Burke, Rudy Gobert, Clark, Malcolm Thomas, Erik Murphy, Diante Garrett, Raul Neto and three of the first 35 picks in the 2014 draft.

And the Stockton boys! :applause:

Xiao Yao You
05-12-2014, 11:51 PM
Chris Haynes: Arizona F Aaron Gordon to attend Chicago Combine to go through measurements, testing. But not basketball-related drills, per league source. Twitter @ChrisBHaynes

Xiao Yao You
05-13-2014, 09:25 AM
22 points 13 rebounds 6.5 assist on average, these are the numbers put up by Dario Saric during the ABA league final four. Eye opening numbers for a player that led his team to its first league title in its history. After a sloppy start, Cibona has improved through the season, through the developments of their young rising star. During the event held in Belgrade, the Croatian talent has shown usual offensive versatility and passing skills, especially in the transition game. But what has impressed the most has been his shot consistency, which is one of the keys to his future overseas. He shot 50% from three point (8-16 overall in two games), in different situations: catch and shoot and with the pull up jumper, showing confidence and poise. His mechanics are still not fluid enough, but the improvements are encouraging. NBADraft.net

Jasmin Repesa, Saric's coach from the Croatian national team, and Slaven Rimac, the player's mentor in Cibona recently released some statements about him: "I think Dario should play for a top class European club, and improve his skills even further. Players who had already been formed before going overseas, received the necessary minutes in NBA, like Giriček and Delfino, my former players. If you go there young, it is possible that you will go without minutes, but also without development trainings for which there is just not time in NBA" - said Repesa. Slaven Rimac agreed with his colleague, but added that

Xiao Yao You
05-13-2014, 09:27 AM
David Locke: Finished research on what path is most common for successful NBA head coach. Identified 42 "successful" coaches over last 35 years. 57% of those coaches had some prior head coaching experience, minors, college or Europe Twitter @Lockedonsports

Xiao Yao You
05-13-2014, 10:32 AM
[QUOTE]

Xiao Yao You
05-13-2014, 12:19 PM
Shams Charania: Jack Cooley -- a 2013 summer league standout -- will participate in mini-camp workouts for Spurs, Nets, Cavs, Jazz, sources tell RealGM. Twitter @ShamsCharania

Jorge Sierra: Draft prospect Artem Klimenko has reached an agreement on a buyout with Russian club Avtodor, agent Bill McCandless tells *********. Klimenko, a 7-foot-1 center, will travel to the States next week and is slated to work out with 6-8 teams before the Treviso camp. Twitter @*********
Rumors tagsDraft, Russia, Artim Klimenko

In pick-and-roll situations at Kansas, Embiid only converted at a 0.727 points per possession rate, ranking him in the bottom 19% of the NCAA. I

Xiao Yao You
05-13-2014, 05:47 PM
Jody Genessy: Dennis Lindsey on Jazz's message to coach prospects: "We have a good story to tell." Story includes young players, flexibility, great picks. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

A great pick, maybe. Without that you just have a lot of young players. The flexibility could be gone in a hurry.

Xiao Yao You
05-13-2014, 05:51 PM
[QUOTE]Jody Genessy: GM Dennis Lindsey said the Utah Jazz are "getting closer to moving to the part where we

El Kabong
05-14-2014, 02:29 AM
Interesting that they're going to talk to Stockton to see if he has any interest in coaching. Can't see it happening myself, but would be interesting to see how he'd do as a coach.

Xiao Yao You
05-14-2014, 08:43 AM
They said they were? Seems like a no brainer to at least inquirer but he's still go kids at home. Maybe in a few years he'll do it. I think he'd be a great coach.

Xiao Yao You
05-14-2014, 08:52 AM
The Utah Jazz, as part of a broad coaching search expected to feature some 20 candidates, plan to reach out to Jazz legend John Stockton to gauge whether he has any interest in the position, according to sources with knowledge of the situation. ESPN.com

Sources told ESPN.com that Jazz officials intend to at least pose the question to the Hall of Fame guard about his willingness to move into coaching, while mindful of Stockton's lack of previous coaching experience and the fact that he has long loathed the sort of spotlight associated with the job. ESPN.com

Sources say the Jazz are likely to sit down with a handful of potential candidates this week at the league's annual pre-draft camp in Chicago as part of an introductory round of interviews. In April, Jazz team president Randy Rigby told 1280 AM in Utah that the team's "exhaustive" search to find a successor to Corbin would eventually feature more than 20 candidates. ESPN.com

There it is

Xiao Yao You
05-14-2014, 09:13 AM
Last year, point guard Trey Burke did not work out individually for the Jazz, who owned the No. 14 pick. But the Jazz front office, after evaluating and interviewing Burke at the combine, pulled the trigger on a trade to move up and grab the Michigan star.

So they had interviewed him at least.

[QUOTE]"You have to make decisions, and sometimes decisions are made where you have the full complement of information and sometimes you have to make decisions on a partial set of information," Lindsey said. "For example, many times, European players are just not as available to us. In those decisions, many times, it

Xiao Yao You
05-14-2014, 09:17 AM
[QUOTE]Lindsey said interviews from the Chicago combine in 2013 played a

Xiao Yao You
05-14-2014, 07:51 PM
Sam Amick: That Hollins-Warriors interview is expected to take place a few days from now in Chicago. He also has some interest from Utah, Cleveland. Twitter @sam_amick

Xiao Yao You
05-14-2014, 08:01 PM
The Utah Jazz have received permission to interview Chicago Bulls assistant Adrian Griffin for their head-coaching job, league sources told Yahoo Sports. Yahoo! Sports

Utah plans to reach out to several candidates in the next few days. Griffin's defensive background with Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau is important to Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey, who wants to improve one of the NBA's worst defenses. Yahoo! Sports

Jody Genessy: Also hearing Hawks assistant Quin Snyder continues to be considered a solid candidate for the Jazz job. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Marc J. Spears: The Jazz, Cavs, Warriors & Wolves have shown interest in Lionel Hollins for head coach openings, a source said. The Lakers, Knicks have not. Twitter @SpearsNBAYahoo

An official name finally?

Xiao Yao You
05-14-2014, 08:06 PM
Gino Pilato: According to multiple sources, Utah Jazz one-to-one affiliation with Idaho Stampede still remains likely. Twitter @DleagueDigest

This could be one of the biggest off-seaso moves. They need this.

Xiao Yao You
05-14-2014, 08:12 PM
A. Sherrod Blakely: Projected lottery pick Marcus Smart expected to do interviews and physicals but nothing on the court, source tells CSNNE.com. Twitter @SherrodbCSN

Steve Kyler: Word is Adreian Payne played the last three months of the season with full blown Mono... Coming off it now, said to look great on the court. Twitter @stevekylerNBA

Xiao Yao You
05-14-2014, 09:22 PM
The Chicago Bulls have given the Utah Jazz permission to interview assistant coach Adrian Griffin for the head coaching job, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.

Griffin has been an assistant coach in the NBA since 2008 when he joined the staff of the Milwaukee Bucks. He joined the Bulls in 2010. According to Wojnarowski's report, Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey is interested in Griffin because of "Griffin's defensive background with Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau." The Jazz finished No. 18 in total defense last season.

Griffin's name has also surfaced with other NBA head coaching job vacancies. USA Today's Jeff Zillgitt and Sam Amick reported that Griffin is "top candidate" for the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Lafe Peavler is a staff sports writer for the Deseret News. Follow him on Twitter @LafePeavler.

Xiao Yao You
05-14-2014, 10:03 PM
http://saltcityhoops.com/coaching-profile-adrian-griffin/

Xiao Yao You
05-15-2014, 09:41 AM
[QUOTE]One NBA team with a coaching vacancy has already contacted UConn

Xiao Yao You
05-15-2014, 01:55 PM
Chad Ford: Dante Exum measured 6-6 in shoes, 196 pounds with a 6'9.75 wingspan. That's huge for a NBA PG. Twitter @chadfordinsider

Sean Deveney: For what it is worth, NBA has Dante Exum in with the shooting guards here at #NBACombine. He can play some point but projects as a 2 guard. Twitter @SeanDeveney

Jason Jones: Dante Exum sees himself as a PG: "playing the one is what got me here." Twitter @mr_jasonjones

A. Sherrod Blakely: Dante Exum has already interviewed with Phoenix, Philly and Detroit. Said the #Celtics are also on his docket this week. Twitter @SherrodbCSN

Mark Murphy: Dante Exum has Celtics on his interview list: "I can't wait to talk to them and see how I fit into their system" Twitter @Murf56

Bill Oram: Lakers are among the teams that will interview Dante Exum tonight. Twitter @bill_oram

Scott Howard-Cooper: Dante Exum bats down suggestion he is aiming for the Lakers in the draft, but does not rule out pressuring some teams to not take him. Twitter @SHowardCooper

Josh Robbins: Australian PG Dante Exum said he expects to be interviewed by the Orlando Magic tonight. #NBACombine Twitter @JoshuaBRobbins

Aaron Falk: Dante Exum says he's scheduled to meet with the Jazz on Friday. Twitter @tribjazz

Mary Schmitt Boyer/Jodie Valade: Aussie guard Dante Exum said he thinks he's interviewing with the #Cavs during the combine. Twitter @PDcavsinsider

Chad Ford: Marcus Smart measured 6' 2" in socks, 6' 3.25" in shoes. 6'9.25" wing, 8' 3" standing reach. 227 pounds. Twitter @chadfordinsider

Alex Kennedy: Marcus Smart has met with the Houston Rockets, Toronto Raptors, Los Angeles Lakers, Phoenix Suns and Denver Nuggets. Twitter @AlexKennedyNBA

Sean Deveney: Marcus Smart says he has met w Suns and Rockets, and will meet w more inc Magic, Celtics and Jazz. Twitter @SeanDeveney

Jason Jones: Marcus Smart said his interview with the Kings is tonight. Twitter @mr_jasonjones

Gery Woelfel: Marcus Smart will meet with Bucks officials today. Measured at 6-2 1/2 without shoes. 6-9 wing span. Twitter @GeryWoelfel

Mary Schmitt Boyer/Jodie Valade: Ok State's Marcus Smart said he will interview with #Cavs today Twitter @PDcavsinsider

Darren Wolfson: #Twolves won't interview Marcus Smart in Chicago, but told they're hoping to get him here for a workout. Hmmm. Just can't see him falling. Twitter @DarrenWolfson

Chad Ford: Tyler Ennis measured 6'1 in socks. 6' 2.5" in shoes. 6' 7.25" wing, 8' 2" standing reach. 181 pounds. Twitter @chadfordinsider

Alex Kennedy: Tyler Ennis says he feels he's the best point guard in this draft class, since he believes he's the complete package. Twitter @AlexKennedyNBA

Alex Kennedy: Tyler Ennis has met with the Charlotte Bobcats, Sacramento Kings, Phoenix Suns, Oklahoma City Thunder and Denver Nuggets. Twitter @AlexKennedyNBA

Ryan Wolstat: Ennis said he will interview with Raptors. Said playing at home would be a dream. Has talked to Cavs Thompson, Bennett, Waiters abt process Twitter @WolstatSun

Chad Ford: Gary Harris measured 6' 2" in socks. 6' 6.75" wingspan. 8' standing reach. 204 pounds. Pretty small for a two guard. Twitter @chadfordinsider

Marc D'Amico: Gary Harris (MSU) tells Celtics.com that he was recruited by Brad Stevens to play at Butler and enjoyed meeting w/ him this week. Twitter @celtics

Chad Ford: Aaron Gordon measured 6' 7.5 in socks, 6' 11" wing, 8' 9" standing reach, 220 pounds. He's right there with Randle. Twitter @chadfordinsider

David Locke: Aaron Gordon is an inch shorter than Blake Griffin with same reach and longer wingspan. Weighs 25 pounds less. Athleticism is close Twitter @Lockedonsports

Chad Ford: Zach LaVine measured 6' 4.25" in socks. 6' 5.75" in shoes. 6' 8.25" wing. 8' 4" standing reach. 180 pounds. Twitter @chadfordinsider

A. Sherrod Blakely: Zach LaVine said the #Celtics were one of the teams he interviewed with yesterday. #Celticstalk Twitter @SherrodbCSN

Chad Ford: Nik Stauskas measured 6' 5.25" in socks. 6' 6.5" in shoes. 6' 7.75" wing. 8' 6" reach. 206 pounds. Twitter @chadfordinsider

Jason Jones: Nic Stauskas has already met with the Kings, too. Twitter @mr_jasonjones

Jason Jones: Stauskas said interview with Kings had basic questions, but at least 10 or 11 people in the room from the team. Twitter @mr_jasonjones

Doug Smith: Michigan PG Nik Stauskas also to meet with Raptors at NBA draft combine. Twitter @SmithRaps

Alex Kennedy: Shabazz Napier has met with the Denver Nuggets, San Antonio Spurs, Golden State Warriors and Brooklyn Nets. Twitter @AlexKennedyNBA

Marc D'Amico: Shabazz Napier, who was born in Roxbury, says "it would be crazy" if he actually wound up with his hometown and favorite team, the Celtics. TwitteCeltics, Draft, Workouts, Shabazz Napier

Mark Murphy: P.J. Hairston - UNC scorer who finished last winter in D-League - has workout skedded with Celtics on June 3. Twitter @Murf56

Rick Bonnell: P.J. Hairston tells me the Bobcats have expressed interest in him. Seems like a viable option at No. 24. Twitter @rick_bonnell

Exum and Smart interviews. Don't sleep this summer Trey!

Xiao Yao You
05-15-2014, 02:49 PM
Sean Deveney: Dante Exum on angling to play for LA: "@Los Angeles Lakers are a great organization, but I am in the draft to go to a place that is the best fit for me" Twitter @SeanDeveney

Scott Howard-Cooper: Dante Exum: "There

Xiao Yao You
05-15-2014, 07:37 PM
Chad Ford: Julius Randle measured 6' 7.75 in socks, 6-9 in socks. 7' 0" wingspan. 250 pounds. 8' 9.5" standing reach. Solid, but not elite. Twitter @chadfordinsider

Charles F. Gardner: Julius Randle said he never considered skipping the draft combine. Twitter @cf_gardner

A. Sherrod Blakely: Julius Randle said he will interview with the #Celtics today. #Celticstalk Twitter @SherrodbCSN

Josh Robbins: Kentucky PF Julius Randle said he was interviewed by the Orlando Magic last night. Twitter @JoshuaBRobbins

Aaron Falk: Kentucky forward Julius Randle met with the Jazz yesterday. http://t.co/r4S4jbAlVE Twitter @tribjazz

Mary Schmitt Boyer/Jodie Valade: Kentucky's Julius Randle said he had a great interview with the #Cavs at the NBA combine Twitter @PDcavsinsider

Charles F. Gardner: Randle said he is interviewing with #Bucks today. Twitter @cf_gardner

Chad Ford: Noah Vonleh measured 6' 8" in socks, a crazy 7' 4.25" wingspan, 9' 0" standing reach, 247 pounds. Twitter @chadfordinsider

Baxter Holmes: Mass native Noah Vonleh said he has an interview scheduled with the Celtics today. Twitter @BaxterHolmes

Josh Robbins: Indiana big man Noah Vonleh said he has an interview scheduled tonight with the Orlando Magic. Twitter @JoshuaBRobbins

Chad Ford: Glenn Robinson III measured 6.7.5" in socks and 6' 8.75" in shoes. He has a 6' 10" wing and an 8' 4.5" reach. Weighed 211 pounds. Twitter @chadfordinsider

Aaron Falk: Glenn Robinson III also among the 18 players Utah will interview. Twitter @tribjazz

Better not sleep this summer Enes and Favors! Looks like Robinson is in the range for their 2nd round pick

Xiao Yao You
05-15-2014, 07:40 PM
Exum, No. 4 in our latest mock draft, didn

Xiao Yao You
05-15-2014, 08:29 PM
The bigger problem is that McDermott

Xiao Yao You
05-15-2014, 11:39 PM
[QUOTE]The Jazz will have the No. 4 spot in the lottery Tuesday night, meaning they could pick anywhere from one through seven in the June 26 draft and theoretically be in position to select the 6-foot-6 point guard.

Exum said he didn

Xiao Yao You
05-15-2014, 11:44 PM
[QUOTE]What the Jazz need to start answering is who is each one of these guys relative to a championship-contending team. As I have watched the league

Xiao Yao You
05-15-2014, 11:50 PM
The Utah Jazz and the Idaho Stampede of the D-League are expected to soon announce an exclusive one-on-one affiliation, according to sources.

This will be the third time the Jazz and Stampede have had a working relationship, going back to the 2006-07 season.

The Boise-based basketball team recently cut ties with the Portland Trail Blazers, and the Jazz were left without a D-League affiliate after the Bakersfield Jam partnered with the Phoenix Suns.

The Jazz declined to comment on their D-League affiliation.

Utah has had five different affiliations with D-League teams since the NBA allowed player assignments in 2005. Those affiliates include: Albuquerque Thunderbirds (2005-06), Idaho Stampede (2006-07, 2011-12), Utah Flash (2007-11), Reno Bighorns (2012-13) and the Bakersfield Jam (2013-14).

Jazz rookies Rudy Gobert and Ian Clark spent time playing with the Jam last season.

Former Jazz shooting guard Kevin Murphy, the 47th pick of the 2012 draft, played for the Stampede earlier this year. He led the D-League in scoring (25.5 points per game), including a career-high 51 points against the Los Angeles D-Fenders in February.

The website DLeagueDigest.com was first to report that a Jazz-Stampede reunion was likely to happen.

This could be big! I imagine Lindsey will use it much like the Spurs do which the Jazz didn't even when they had their own just down the highway a short way. Instead of developing guys at the NBA level you can develop them in Idaho.

Xiao Yao You
05-16-2014, 06:28 PM
Chad Ford: Julius Randle with a 35.5" max vert. #NBACombine Twitter @chadfordinsider

Charles F. Gardner: Julius Randle and Dante Exum interviewed with Bucks on Thursday and received workout invites. Both said workout skeds TBD post-lottery. Twitter @cf_gardner

Chad Ford: Doug McDermott with a very impressive 36.5" max vert. #NBACombine Twitter @chadfordinsider

Xiao Yao You
05-16-2014, 06:36 PM
Chad Ford: The picture of Andrew Wiggins vert jump floating around? His agent, Bill Duffy, told me it's a 44 inch vert. Twitter @chadfordinsider

Chad Ford: Biggest winner of the #NBACombine? Andrew Wiggins iconic 44" vert photo. http://t.co/9r84KZ0PeK Twitter @chadfordinsider

Chad Ford: Noah Vonleh with a 37" max vert. #NBACombine Twitter @chadfordinsider

A. Sherrod Blakely: Awesome, totally unexpected moment between Noah Vonleh and former #Celtics great Wayne Embry whose massive hands are smaller than Vonleh. Twitter @SherrodbCSN

Alex Kennedy: Noah Vonleh's hands are 11.75 inches - the second-largest in NBA combine history. He first palmed a basketball at "six or seven years old." Twitter @AlexKennedyNBA

Alex Kennedy: Noah Vonleh has met with the Magic, 76ers, Bucks, Pistons, Kings, Blazers, Suns and Timberwolves. Twitter @AlexKennedyNBA

He might be an interesting guy to have working out with he Mailman who had such great hands.

Jody Genessy: To clarify, Chad Ford heard Jabari is 15-20 pounds overweight but would be surprised if that's true. Still, I want deep dish pizza shots! Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Xiao Yao You
05-16-2014, 06:49 PM
Chad Ford: Dante Exum with a 10.75 sec lane agility drill score. Ran a 3.19 second 3/4 sprint. Both scores top among all 2 guards he's testing with. Twitter @chadfordinsider

Chad Ford: Dante Exum with a 31.5 standing vertical and a 34.5 inch max vert. Good, but not elite. Twitter @chadfordinsider

Scott Howard-Cooper: One new layer: Exum said other teams, during individual interviews, are asking about his determination to get to the Lakers. #NBACombine Twitter @SHowardCooper

Alex Kennedy: Teams that have met with Dante Exum have raved about him. He's doing very well in these interviews. He has a lot of fans around the league. Twitter @AlexKennedyNBA

Josh Robbins: Dante Exum said his interview with the OrlMagic last night went well & the team would like to bring him to CF for a visit Twitter @JoshuaBRobbins

Marc D'Amico: Dante Exum was asked what he thinks about when he hears 'Boston Celtics.' Answer: "I think about the rich tradition." Twitter @celtics

A. Sherrod Blakely: Exum said he was a "big Paul Pierce" fan as a kid. #Celticstalk Twitter @SherrodbCSN

Chad Ford: Marcus Smart with a 36" max vert. Good numbers for him. #NBACombine Twitter @chadfordinsider

Charles F. Gardner: Marcus Smart said he made right decision to return for sophomore year at Oklahoma State. Says he will bring toughness at PG. Twitter @cf_gardner

Vincent Ellis: Oklahoma State guard Marcus Smart had met with #pistons Twitter @Vincent_Ellis56

Chad Ford: Aaron Gordon has a 39 inch max vert. Terrific for a player his size. #NBACombine Twitter @chadfordinsider

Chad Ford: Aaron Gordon just jumped so high they had to raise the vertical jump apparatus. Twitter @chadfordinsider

Aaron Falk: Aaron Gordon was a little disappointed with his 39-inch max vert. His personal best is 42. tout.com/m/3n5dkg Twitter @tribjazz

Chad Ford: Aaron Gordon continuing to wow. 3.27 3/4 court sprint and a super quick 10.8 sec lane agility drill. Twitter @chadfordinsider

Marc D'Amico: Aaron Gordon on his meeting with the Celtics: "I got a good vibe from them. They seem to be very family-oriented and very good people." Twitter @celtics

Baxter Holmes: Aaron Gordon met w/ Celtics, said they asked how many pennies are in a million bucks. Said he got it right in 22 seconds. They timed him. Twitter @BaxterHolmes

Josh Robbins: Arizona PF Aaron Gordon has been interviewed by the Orlando Magic at the combine. Twitter @JoshuaBRobbins

Chad Ford: Nik Stauskas with a 35.5" max vert. Twitter @chadfordinsider

Ryan Wolstat: Stauskas had fun meeting with Raptors. Said he loves Masai, meeting was relaxed, good conversation Twitter @WolstatSun

Aaron Falk: Nik Stauskas might be the most entertaining interview here. He said NCAA rules stopped a 3-point contest with Steph Curry. Twitter @tribjazz

Chad Ford: Zach LaVine with the best lane agility score of the day 10.42 seconds. Freak athlete. #NBACombine Twitter @chadfordinsider

Chad Ford: Zach LaVine with a 41.5 inch max vert. No surprise but still a WOW. Twitter @chadfordinsider

Ryan Wolstat: Zach LaVine has impressed in Chicago. Rumoured to be moving up draft boards. Has interviewed with Raptors and 18 other teams, he says Twitter @WolstatSun
R
Keith Langlois: Zach LaVine, flashing high-end athleticism here, said he has interviewed with #Pistons. Twitter

Jason Jones: Asked one Kings rep who he liked in the draft, he mentioned UCLA guard Lavine, but said who he likes will be clearer after the lottery Twitter @mr_jasonjones

Chad Ford: Tyler Ennis with a 36 inch max vert. Pretty good actually for all the knocks about his athleticism #NBACombine Twitter @chadfordinsider

Nick Friedell: Also of note: Syracuse PG Tyler Ennis said he spoke to Bulls yesterday. Said he would like to play alongside Derrick Rose. Twitter @NickFriedell

Gery Woelfel: Bucks will meet this afternoon with Syracuse PG Tyler Ennis. Twitter @GeryWoelfel

Chad Ford: Gary Harris sitting out athletic testing. Has a minor groin pull. Should be good to go in a week. Twitter @chadfordinsider

AdamZagoria: Michigan State G Gary Harris said he had interviews yesterday with Toronto, Denver, Memphis, Detroit and LA @ESPNAndyKatz Twitter

Chad Ford: James Young measured 6' 5.25" in socks. 6' 7.75" in shoes. 7' 0 wing. 8' 8" standing reach. Great measurements. Twitter @chadfordinsider

Chad Ford: James Young with a 35.5" max vert. Twitter @chadfordinsider

Ryan Wolstat: Kentucky's James Young also had an interview with Raptors. Twitter @WolstatSun

Chad Ford: Markel Brown with a crazy 43.5 inch max vert. Twitter @chadfordinsider

A. Sherrod Blakely: Markel Brown said he'll interview with the #celtics today. #celticstalk Twitter @SherrodbCSN

Chad Ford: Jordan Adams with a terrible 29.5 inch max vert. That's really bad for a guard. Twitter @chadfordinsider

Ryan Wolstat: Jordan Adams will interview with the Raptors today Twitter @WolstatSun

Chad Ford: PJ Hairston with a good 37 inch max vert. Twitter @chadfordinsider

A. Sherrod Blakely: PJ Hairston said he went to the D-League instead of overseas because staying state-side allowed him 2 take on-line courses toward his degree Twitter @SherrodbCSN

Alex Kennedy: Aaron Craft has not interviewed with any NBA teams yet. He said: "I haven't talked to anyone since I've been here." Twitter @AlexKennedyNBA

Marc D'Amico: OSU's Aaron Craft on the potential of again joining forces w/ Sullinger in BOS: "It would be unreal. We've been through everything together" Twitter @celtics

Some great athletes in this draft anyway.

Xiao Yao You
05-16-2014, 06:57 PM
David Locke: On ESPNU @Chad Ford "Jazz fans should no be surprised if the Jazz draft another PG." Twitter @Lockedonsports

You mean like Neto?

David Locke: More from @Chad Ford "I don't anyone in Utah that looks at Trey Burke right now and says this is a franchise point guard" True??? Twitter @Lockedonsports

It should be true. If Exum or Smart is the best player available they need to take them. Same with every position though. They don't have a franchise player anywhere.

Xiao Yao You
05-16-2014, 08:58 PM
Wilcox accepted the Bulls' invitation for a private workout Monday. The Bulls have the Nos. 16 and 19 picks in the first round.

He will also work out for the Jazz prior to the June 26 draft, though he confessed he was more of a Michael Jordan fan growing up.

Xiao Yao You
05-16-2014, 10:37 PM
Earl Watson of the Portland Trail Blazers has a strong desire to become the next head coach of the Utah Jazz and would relish the opportunity to interview for the position, league sources associated with the guard informed CSNNW.com. CSNNW.com

Watson, 34, played three seasons as a member of the Jazz and immediately became an organization and fan favorite. He is viewed by numerous NBA executives as one of the few current players capable of making a smooth transition into the NBA coaching profession shortly following retirement. The soon-to-be coach admitted during Friday

Xiao Yao You
05-16-2014, 10:39 PM
Chad Ford: Patric Young with a very good 37.5" max vert. #NBACombine Twitter @chadfordinsider

Xiao Yao You
05-17-2014, 05:13 PM
Aaron Falk: Talked w/ Dennis Lindsey about trading picks: "I don't think with where we're at anything is sacred. You have to listen to everything." Twitter @tribjazz

Good to hear. I'm certainly expecting anything after all of last years moves.

Xiao Yao You
05-17-2014, 06:01 PM
[QUOTE]The Deseret News received confirmation of a Yahoo Sports report Wednesday that Chicago has granted the Jazz permission to interview Griffin. The 39-year-old has been Tom Thibodeau

Xiao Yao You
05-17-2014, 06:01 PM
LUCKY CHARM: In hopes of moving up from their current No. 4 draft spot, the Jazz will send Miller Inspiration president Bryan Miller, son of team owner Gail Miller and the late Larry H. Miller, to represent the organization at the draft lottery on May 20 (6 p.m. MT, ESPN).

Miller will be on the stage at the Disney/ABC Times Square Studios in New York when the lottery results are announced. Jazz president Randy Rigby and general manager Dennis Lindsey will also be in attendance.

Utah can finish anywhere from No. 1-7 depending on how the lottery

Xiao Yao You
05-17-2014, 06:20 PM
[QUOTE]Randle adds another thing the team that drafts him will get: "Talent."

The 6-foot-9 forward showed a blend of power and finesse and natural scoring instincts during his lone season of college ball. He shot 50 percent from the floor and said he wasn

Xiao Yao You
05-18-2014, 10:58 PM
Standing 7 feet 1 and weighing a lean but muscular 245 pounds, with a wingspan stretching closer to 8 feet and a standing reach of 9 feet 7, this is a young man who, it seems, was made to play basketball.

Not sure I'd call him muscular. He looks like he could get a lot stronger and carry quite a bit more weight though.

[QUOTE]But in his first year in the NBA, he didn't actually get to do much of that

Xiao Yao You
05-20-2014, 01:02 AM
The Utah Jazz will host their third pre-draft workout Tuesday morning with yet another group of long-shot NBA hopefuls.

This collection includes six players who recently ended their collegiate careers but aren't ranked in the top 100 of ESPN writer Chad Ford's rankings and aren't projected to be drafted.

The workout participants: Towson forward Jerrelle Benimon (6-8, 245), Gonzaga forward/center Sam Dower Jr. (6-9, 243), Iowa State forward Melvin Ejim (6-6, 220), Connecticut guard/forward Niels Giffey (6-7, 204), Indiana State guard Jake Odum (6-4, 180) and Florida guard Scottie Wilbekin (6-2, 176).

The Jazz will continue to hold workouts leading up to the June 26 NBA draft as the organization hopes to acquire as much information on as many potential pros as possible.

Utah will find out where it picks in the lottery Tuesday night. The Jazz are in the No. 4 position, but could end up anywhere from No. 1 through No. 7.

El Kabong
05-20-2014, 10:08 PM
Dropped 1 spot to #5. Can't believe Cavs won again. Will be interesting to see if any teams are willing to trade their picks so the Jazz can move up.

Xiao Yao You
05-20-2014, 10:51 PM
Utah, which had a 10.4 percent chance to get the first selection, ended up dropping one slot from where they started, falling to fifth, a notch out of reach of what a lot of people think are the four straight-up difference-makers in the coming draft: Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker, Joel Embiid, and Dante Exum.

most say 3

[QUOTE]The Jazz have suffered through this drill before. They sent Bryan Miller to the lottery on this occasion as their onscreen team rep, with club president Randy Rigby standing off camera, with half the world

Xiao Yao You
05-21-2014, 12:24 AM
The Sacramento Kings did not move up in the Tuesday's NBA Draft Lottery and will pick No. 8.

But the Kings will put the pick up on the trade block in search of a veteran player ready to contribute immediately instead of wait for a rookie to develop.

The Kings were mentioned in trade rumors for Rajon Rondo before the deadline and Isaiah Thomas will be a restricted free agent.

Dennis Schroeder could be a possible target for the Kings, who were high on him during last year's draft.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=pcvl6el

Kanter and the non guaranteed contracts for expirers. Kings might need to throw in something more with Kanter a former #3 pick and a big man with a proven offensive game and rebounding skills. He and Cousins would be tough to stop offensively and on the glass. Both can play inside and out.

Works with Evans too. Maybe they'd want Tomic? other picks? cash? With 5, 8, 23 and 35 you might be able to move up easier? At least get some more potentially good young players. I love Kanter and would hate to trade him in the conference but he looked expendable this year.

Xiao Yao You
05-21-2014, 01:00 AM
Jody Genessy: Jazz GM Dennis Lindsey said the team will perhaps try to aggregate picks 5, 23 and/or 35 to trade up. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Xiao Yao You
05-21-2014, 08:14 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/2014-nba-mock-draft--lottery-edition-021401275.html

Says Aaron Gordon. Not sure how much sense he makes if he can't shoot. Vonleh or Smart might make more sense I'd think.Should be able to get most of them outside the top 3 or 4 in for a look anyway.

Xiao Yao You
05-21-2014, 08:28 AM
[QUOTE]They

Xiao Yao You
05-21-2014, 08:26 PM
Los Angeles Clippers associate head coach Alvin Gentry is expected to soon interview for the Utah Jazz's head-coaching vacancy, league sources told Yahoo Sports. Yahoo! Sports

The Cleveland Cavaliers have also contacted the Clippers about Gentry for their head-coaching vacancy, but an interview has not been set up, a source said. Gentry has ties to new Cavaliers general manager David Griffin when both worked for the Phoenix Suns. Yahoo! Sports

The Sacramento Kings have also contacted Gentry about their assistant coach position, a source said. Kings head coach Michael Malone never filled the position vacated by his father Brendan a week before last season. Yahoo! Sports

Not sure I was ever that impressed with him. I guess he ran D'Antoni's offense while concentrating more on D. Might be exciting basketball anyway. They need to run the young guys for sure. Not sure they can shoot well enough. I think defensively they have potential.

Xiao Yao You
05-21-2014, 08:39 PM
[QUOTE]It

Xiao Yao You
05-21-2014, 08:48 PM
[QUOTE]Most think that the order of selection will leave the Jazz in the cold when it comes to obtaining the two stars Utah covets most

Xiao Yao You
05-21-2014, 09:23 PM
[QUOTE]Here are three reasons the Jazz won

El Kabong
05-21-2014, 10:09 PM
Not sure if they've got much to trade.
They got Detroits 1st this year, which is pick #9. Not a lot else on the team that's tradeable unless they give up on MKG. If Detroit want to get back in, they could trade Monroe, but I think SVG likes him and Drummond up front more than Dumars did.

Would we take Gordon for #9 and then use that to move up?

Xiao Yao You
05-22-2014, 12:45 AM
That could be a good player depending on who they pick. We can't trade G until after free agency starts. If he wants to go to Charlotte the Jazz might get what they can out of the deal if there's anything they want to get. I can't imagine he would want to play Al ball again though at any price.

Sounds like Van Gundy likes Monroe but maybe not at any price.

Xiao Yao You
05-22-2014, 09:39 PM
[QUOTE]what do the Jazz really need?

Which position demands the most attention?

Here

Xiao Yao You
05-23-2014, 08:36 AM
[QUOTE]Dropping from the pre-lottery fourth slot in to the No. 5 pick in the NBA draft was certainly a blow to those who

Xiao Yao You
05-23-2014, 10:19 AM
[QUOTE]Orlando is marginally interesting, only because a fair amount of noise suggests they

Xiao Yao You
05-23-2014, 10:39 AM
[QUOTE]With the #5 pick, Ford is going with Indiana

Xiao Yao You
05-23-2014, 10:53 AM
From SI:

5. Jazz -- Aaron Gordon, F, Arizona freshman, 6-9, 220
Julius Randle is the best player on the board, but the Jazz are set at power forward after signing Derrick Favors to a four-year, $48 contract extension last October. Gordon is a tweener with a mediocre jump shot, but he is a superior athlete and a strong defender and rebounder. With one of the league's youngest cores, Utah can be patient while Gordon develops.

23. Jazz (via Warriors) -- Bogdan Bogdanovic, G, Serbia (21 years old), 6-6, 200

Opinions about Bogdanovic vary, with some scouts questioning whether the Partizan Belgrade shooting guard has the physical tools to thrive in the NBA. Still, Bogdanovic is a solid perimeter shooter, he can attack the basket and he plays unselfishly.

Don't see the Jazz set anywhere. I just read Gordon shot 36% from 3 so is he really mediocre? He might be the guy if he's got potential to shoot.

Xiao Yao You
05-24-2014, 11:34 PM
[QUOTE]"We

Xiao Yao You
05-25-2014, 09:02 PM
Lindsey also stresses that everything is on the table for the Jazz, pertaining to the immediate draft and possible future transactions, that the Jazz will be active rather than passive. "All the options will be exhausted," he says. "Trading up, trading back, trading out, whatever the best alternative is."

Salt Lake Tribune

At least 150 spectators were present to look at Gordon and LaVine, including Gary Sacks (Clippers), Jerry West (Golden State Warriors), Danny Ainge (Boston Celtics), Pete D'Alessandro (Sacramento Kings), Neil Olshey (Portland Trail Blazers), Tommy Sheppard (Washington Wizards), Sam Hinkie (Philadelphia 76ers), Mark Warkentien and Allan Houston (New York Knicks), Tom Thibodeau (Chicago Bulls) and Dennis Lindsey (Utah Jazz). One executive, who didn't want to be quoted to protect his team's draft strategy, said he preferred Gordon to the two other big men in the same range (Julius Randle of Kentucky and Noah Vonleh of Indiana), citing Gordon's potential impact defensively. Los Angeles Times

Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey keeps his short list of candidates close to the vest. He

Xiao Yao You
05-26-2014, 05:29 AM
Just in case:

Andrew Wiggins was measured on Sunday with a height of 6'8.75" in shoes.

Wiggins has a wingspan of 7'0" and a standing reach of 8'11".

Wiggins also has one of the best verticals in the draft class.

Via Chad Ford/ESPN
Tweet Andrew Wiggins, Kansas Jayhawks, NBA, NBA NBA Draft, NBA Draft General
Read the Full StoryDiscussSend FeedbackBuy Tickets
Embiid Measures 7'1" in Shoes, 9'5.5" Standing Reach
May 25, 2014 7:57 PM EDT

Joel Embiid was measured at a workout on Friday with a height of 7'1" in shoes.

Embiid has a 7'5.75" wingspan and 9'5.5" standing reach.

Embiid is expected to be one of the first three picks in the 2014 NBA Draft.

Via Chad Ford/ESPN

Xiao Yao You
05-26-2014, 06:03 PM
David 'Dubi' Pick: Israeli-League All-Star wingman Tyler Honeycutt (@Tyler Honeycutt) will audition for Utah during Jazz training camp, I'm told. Twitter @IAmDPick

Training camp? He's an athlete.

Xiao Yao You
05-27-2014, 11:17 AM
Jack Cooley will participate in mini-camp workouts for the San Antonio Spurs, Brooklyn Nets, Cleveland Cavaliers and Utah Jazz, league sources told RealGM.

Xiao Yao You
05-27-2014, 07:21 PM
Marc J. Spears: SDSU G Xavier Thames worked out for Heat today & has workouts scheduled with Bucks, Bulls, Celtics, Hornets, NY, Jazz, Mavs, Wolves, Pacers. Twitter @SpearsNBAYahoo

Another undrafted guy. When they getting the heavyweights in?

Xiao Yao You
05-27-2014, 07:27 PM
Just in case

Gery Woelfel: Bucks dir of scouting Billy McKinney on Jabari Parker's recent workout; "He looked fantastic from a physical standpoint." Twitter @GeryWoelfel
Rumors tagsMilwaukee Bucks, Draft, Jabari Parker, Workouts, Billy McKinney

Charles F. Gardner: McKinney said rumors at combine that Parker had gained weight were proved quite false at Santa Monica workout. "He (Parker) looked great," McKinney said. "Certainly he wasn't 20 or 25 pounds overweight as we had heard with the rumor in Chicago."

Twitter @cf_gardner

Xiao Yao You
05-27-2014, 07:33 PM
Adam Zagoria: Former Rutgers F Wally Judge works out for Utah Friday, his agent tells @SNYtv Twitter @AdamZagoria

undrafted too I think

Xiao Yao You
05-27-2014, 08:36 PM
James Nunnally To Have Pre-Free Agency Workouts With Warriors, Jazz
May 26, 2014 | Shams Charania/RealGM

Xiao Yao You
05-28-2014, 06:44 PM
Of the three, I think the Cavs are the most interested in trading the pick. The Bucks and Sixers are in a rebuild and highly value those picks they have. The Cavs are going to want a youngish veteran All-Star in return. Kevin Love is the obvious choice here. Joakim Noah. LaMarcus Aldridge. Al Horford. That's what it is going to take. ESPN.com

Leaves out the Jazz. Sounding like Exum could possibly drop to them though. Kabong got any insight on the Aussie?

Q: Do the Jazz and any chance at moving up to grab Parker?! Please say yes! A: They have a lot of assets and I think they could tempt Cleveland if they threw together several of them into a package that rounded out this team. For instance ... what about a sign-and-trade that delivered Gordan Hayward and Enes Kanter -- fixes holes at both the three and the five long-term for the Cavs. Both are ready to go now. The question will be ... Hayward is a restricted free agent. Free agency doesn't start until after the draft. So the Cavs would have to take Jabari at 1 and then hope they could get Hayward to play along. Derrick Favors could also tempt them I'm told. But the Cavs would need another piece -- perhaps the 5th pick? ESPN.com

Can't see it.

Xiao Yao You
05-28-2014, 06:57 PM
Baxter Holmes: Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker, Joel Embiid & Dante Exum all won't work out for Celtics. They all expect to be gone by the 6th overall pick. Twitter @BaxterHolmes

Will Exum workout for the Jazz? At least they interviewed him and got his measurements and stuff from the combine if he doesn't.

Xiao Yao You
05-28-2014, 07:01 PM
Tony Jones: Just spoke to well regarded NBA scout who told me that two players in this draft have transcendent potential: Joel Embiid. Dante Exum Twitter @Tjonessltrib

Xiao Yao You
05-28-2014, 07:03 PM
[QUOTE]Billy Donovan won

Xiao Yao You
05-28-2014, 07:04 PM
The Philadelphia 76ers are Exum fans as well, and if Wiggins is off the board, Exum will be in the mix. They think Exum and Carter-Williams could play together in the backcourt, although it would not be a very good shooting tandem. I think the more obvious fit comes if they trade Carter-Williams, an idea I'm told they have bounced around. ESPN.com

The Milwaukee Bucks are big fans of Exum. Although they like Brandon Knight, they think he's better suited to play the 2-guard and think the combo of Exum and Knight together could be potent. The big question is whether he's a better option than Embiid or Parker. Parker would give them a go-to scorer, while the team thinks strongly that Embiid would be a great fit next to Larry Sanders on the front line. If Milwaukee management had more job security, I think Exum would be its guy. But he might be too big a risk given that new ownership just took control of the team. Twitter @AdamZagoria

What does Orlando think? Or Cleveland?

Xiao Yao You
05-28-2014, 08:34 PM
Marcus Smart. Noah Vonleh. Aaron Gordon. Julius Randle.

Those are the four guys who should be available to the Utah Jazz with the fifth pick in the upcoming NBA draft. You can throw Dante Exum in there, as well. Of the top-tier players, he is the one who is most likely to slide to No. 5 territory.

These are the players who could be available to the Utah Jazz with the fifth pick of the upcoming NBA Draft

Marcus Smart

6-foot-3, point guard from Oklahoma State

Strengths: Is physically imposing and is a great defender at both guard spots

Weaknesses: Can be too competitive, is not yet a great shooter

Smart could be gone. Until teams look at Embiid's back who knows if he falls either.

Noah Vonleh

6-foot-9, power forward from Indiana

Strengths: Has a high ceiling, room for improvement, has elite measurements

Weaknesses: Needs time to reach max potential, mechanical moves in the post

Aaron Gordon

6-foot-9 forward from Arizona

Strengths: Elite athlete, elite defender, good passer

Weaknesses: Not a good shooter, lacks a defined position

Julius Randle

6-foot-9 power forward from Kentucky

Strengths: Can score and rebound, left-handed, is relentless inside

Weaknesses: Has trouble scoring against length, lacks elite measurements

Dante Exum

6-foot-6 guard from Australia

Strengths: High upside, elite athlete and size for a guard

Weaknesses: Lacks a consistent jumper, hasn’t played elite competition

Each players has ability. Each has their strengths. But they all have obvious shortcomings as well, and that makes the fifth selection riskier than the first four.

All of this adds up to four potentially fascinating weeks for the Jazz.

Only Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey knows what he’s going to do with the pick. He has said he’s open to using assets to climb into the top three. The Jazz could also trade down, or even swap the pick for veteran that can come in and help a young roster right away.

But what if the Jazz stay put and pick fifth?

"We’re going to take the best available player," Jazz vice president of player personnel Walt Perrin said. "When you have a pick this high in the draft, you can’t mess around with need. You can address need later in the draft. So we’re going to look at who’s on the board, what they offer and take the best player available for the franchise."

They need a star. They have need everywhere until that happens.

Each player fits in with the Jazz a bit differently.

Smart and Exum are bigger point guards, both capable of playing with Trey Burke in the same backcourt and playing shooting guard, in spots.

Possibly. With Exum, Burke, Burks and Hayward you'd have 36 minutes a game to give out at 3 positions. I can still see G playing some stretch 4 someday too. They might have to play small if they lose G but Exum had some length I believe at the combine.

Vonleh gives would give Utah another shot blocker to go with Derrick Favors and Rudy Gobert. Like Enes Kanter, Vonleh is capable of shooting the ball from the perimeter, a trait that meshes with the Jazz offensively.
It might? Without a coach who knows. Love to have him get to work with the Mailman though with those big hands and skills though.

Gordon can play both forward positions, and on a team devoid of defensive stoppers, his ability on the defensive end could make him invaluable.

Sounds like an AK type of player which they already have to an extent with G.

Randle is a pure scorer in the frontcourt, and the Jazz need at least one big guy capable of creating his own offense.

He's the least appealing. Sounds like he could be dropping.

If Exum is available, Utah may quickly snap him up. The 6-foot-6 guard from Australia is seen as a player with a high ceiling. But he’s 18 years old, still young to the game of basketball and hasn’t played the level of competition that most American players his age have encountered.

Still, Exum impressed many with his performance in the Nike Hoop Summit two years ago — against many players who will hear their names called at the top of this draft. He’s got good size for his position, and he’s athletic enough to get to the rim.

Those who have seen him play extensively hold him in high regard.

"I’ve probably seen him as much as anyone," said Fran Fraschilla, a college basketball analyst who also does international scouting for the NBA. "To me, Andrew Wiggins and Jabari Parker, you know they are going to be very good players in the league. But there are two guys who have transcendent ability in this draft. That’s Joel Embiid and Dante Exum."

Hard to imagine they pass on him if he falls.

Lindsey went to Los Angeles to see many of the top prospects work out in one setting last week. The Jazz also are currently talking to agents in efforts to bring some of the top players in for individual workouts over the next month.

"We think we can find a very good player with the fifth pick," Lindsey said.

Fraschilla agrees. The Jazz will get a good player with the fifth pick, he says. But unlike Wiggins, Parker and Embiid, each of the prospects that will likely be available at No. 5 comes with caveats:

• Smart is NBA ready, has great strength and is one of the most competitive players in the draft. But he’s not yet a great shooter.

• Vonleh is a high upside, is athletic and a good shooter for a power forward. But he’s young and needs strength and time to grow into his body.

• Gordon showed his elite athleticism at Arizona. But isn’t a good shooter at this stage and lacks a definitive position.

• Randle can score, can rebound and reminds many of a young Zach Randolph. But he lacks the physical measurements of Gordon and Vonleh, and doesn’t play above the rim.

Xiao Yao You
05-29-2014, 08:32 AM
David 'Dubi' Pick: Dario Saric, I'm told, has let it be known he plans to go to NBA next season if drafted by Celtics or Lakers. Twitter @IAmDPick

Xiao Yao You
05-30-2014, 08:24 AM
Jeff Goodman: Billy Baron has worked out for Chicago and Atlanta the past two days and has visits to Utah (Monday), Milwaukee (Wed) and Knicks (Friday). Twitter @GoodmanESPN

another undrafted. come on already! lottery is over. let's get the picks in!

Xiao Yao You
05-30-2014, 08:28 AM
Jody Genessy: Utah Jazz's pre-draft workout Friday includes Semaj Christon, Luke Hancock, Wally Judge, DeAndre Kane, Travis Wear and Jamil Wilson. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Christon low 2nd maybe. Wilson mid 2nd maybe. A little better!

Xiao Yao You
05-30-2014, 08:47 AM
Chad Ford: Noah Vonleh drawing serious praise from NBA execs after a workout in NY on Wed. Twitter @chadfordinsider

Chad Ford: "Vonleh was good. Didn't shoot it well but everything else was very good to ridiculously good" according to 1 NBA exec. Twitter @chadfordinsider

Chad Ford: Said another "Vonleh's got elite physical tools and is very skilled. He should be in the same group with Wiggins, Embiid, Parker & Exum" Twitter @chadfordinsider

Michael Scotto: NBA GM: "Julius Randle can play right away. I'm not saying Noah Vonleh can't, but Randle is ready to play now more than Vonleh."

Vonleh sounding better all the time.

Xiao Yao You
05-30-2014, 11:27 AM
The 21-year-old Christon is the highest ranked player among this group, having averaged 17 points as a sophomore. He is listed as No. 27 on NBADraft.net's Top 100 player board and is projected to be drafted in the first round at 28th overall by the website.

Kane, who finished his collegiate career playing for coach Fred Hoiberg after three seasons at Marshall, is slated to go late in the second round (53rd overall) by NBADraft.net.

The Jazz have the fifth, 23rd and 35th picks of the June 26 draft, and the team is expecting to bring in a slew of players for evaluations over the next couple of weeks.

So much for draftexpress

Xiao Yao You
05-30-2014, 12:49 PM
[QUOTE]Parker, from Duke, and Wiggins and Embiid, both from Kansas, are the draft

Xiao Yao You
05-30-2014, 08:01 PM
Jeff Goodman: Adreian Payne will work out for Boston on June 4, Phoenix on June 6 and Utah on June 7, source told ESPN. Twitter @GoodmanESPN

Could be in play for their 2nd pick.

Xiao Yao You
05-31-2014, 10:16 AM
Marc J. Spears: While Lionel Hollins is getting head coach interest from LAL, CLE, UTH & MIN, sources say GS & HOU interested in him as associate head coach Twitter @SpearsNBAYahoo

Xiao Yao You
05-31-2014, 07:56 PM
[QUOTE]Tyrone Corbin might not be out of a job for long.

The former Utah Jazz head coach is in the "very early stages" of the interview process to become an assistant under Michael Malone with an "interested" Sacramento Kings organization, a source confirmed to the Deseret News.

Corbin was informed in April by the Jazz that his coaching contract would not be renewed after the conclusion of Utah's 25-57 season. Corbin had spent the past 10 years with the Jazz in various coaching capacities, including in his position as head coach the past three-and-a-half seasons.

After taking over for Sloan during the middle of the 2010-11 season, Corbin guided the Jazz to a 112-146 record in oft-difficult circumstances. The highlight of Corbin's coaching career in Utah came in the 2012 lockout season when he led the Jazz to the playoffs.

Corbin has spoken highly of Sacramento and its fans over the years. The 51-year-old played for the Kings in 1995-96 and again in 2000-01 during his 16-year NBA career.

"It

Xiao Yao You
05-31-2014, 07:58 PM
[QUOTE]Adrian Griffin is on the short list of candidates still in consideration for the Utah Jazz

Xiao Yao You
05-31-2014, 08:03 PM
Jazz To Bring In Adrian Griffin, Quin Snyder For Second Interviews

May 31, 2014 6:09 PM EDT

Adrian Griffin will interview a second time for the Utah Jazz's head coach opening in the next week, according to sources.

The Jazz could be near the end of their coaching search, with multiple candidates separating themselves from the pack.

Griffin originally interviewed with the Jazz two weeks ago. Griffin, who has served as an assistant coach on Tom Thibodeau's staff, is reportedly also a candidate for the Cleveland Cavaliers and New York Knicks.

Quin Snyder will also receive a second interview with the Jazz.

Via Tony Jones/The Salt Lake Tribune

Maybe down to these 2? I wonder who else has bee interviewed. Only a handful have been reported out of the supposedly 20 or so they were supposed to interview.

Xiao Yao You
05-31-2014, 08:05 PM
[QUOTE]Knicks Target Bucks, 76ers As Possible Trade Partners To Acquire Draft Pick
May 31, 2014 6:16 PM EDT

The New York Knicks will attempt to trade for a second round draft pick by purchasing a selection.

Phil Jackson cited the Milwaukee Bucks and Philadelphia 76ers are possible trade targets because those teams own multiple picks in the draft.

Jackson said the Knicks will not get in "a bidding war."

Xiao Yao You
05-31-2014, 10:36 PM
Marc J. Spears: Add GS & HOU with SAC as teams that have expressed interest in ex-Jazz head coach Tyrone Corbin for assistant coach openings, a source said. Twitter @SpearsNBAYahoo

GS could be a good spot with an inexperienced head coach.