PDA

View Full Version : Danny Ainge is the best GM in the NBA

Shade8780
04-17-2014, 07:38 AM
Trades an old KG and Pierce to the Nets for a bunch of future lottery picks, keeps our star player in Rondo and still gets the Celtics a chance at a top 4 pick and picks up two steals in past Drafts in Sully and Olynyk, who's been averaging 17 PPG and 7 RPG this month.

How great is our gawd? :bowdown:

JohnFreeman
04-17-2014, 07:40 AM
Greatest NBA franchise ever

Rolando
04-17-2014, 07:47 AM
Definitely a shrewd MoFo.....would probably trade is own mother for the sake of the team.

swagga
04-17-2014, 07:50 AM

lakers got that, not a fan, but if you discard 50s/60s titles when the league was in its infancy you see the lakers show much more consistency in winning or getting to the finals.

CelticBaller
04-17-2014, 07:56 AM
lakers got that, not a fan, but if you discard 50s/60s titles when the league was in its infancy you see the lakers show much more consistency in winning or getting to the finals.
lol, the only decade the celtics didn't win a finals was the same the lakers didn't either
also consider that like 5 out of their titles belong in minneapolis

"consistency"

salwan
04-17-2014, 07:56 AM
How great is our gawd? :bowdown:

would probably trade is own mother for the sake of the team.

:rockon: :rockon: :dancin

Shade8780
04-17-2014, 08:06 AM
:roll: :facepalm

JohnnySic
04-17-2014, 08:08 AM
Ainge is the man. He owned the fukc out of that Nets trade. Dont forget he also got Humphries' expirer and a big trade exception. Big thanks to the Russian Mafia, they pay well. :D

Edit: Bogans expirer as well.

JohnFreeman
04-17-2014, 08:15 AM
http://replygif.net/i/1126.gif

mentallooser
04-17-2014, 11:13 AM
Very impressed with him keeping Green and drafting Olynyk. Those are pieces of a future team. Olynyk has it in him to be a really really high level player in the future. He's more athletic than he was initially given credit for, and he does the fundamentals on defense he just needs a little more strength.

Ya. Anyway. Yay for Ainge. Celtics have a bright future.

JohnnySic
04-17-2014, 11:22 AM
Rondo, Sully, and Olynyk are good start. Green can be a part of the picture too.

Gonna add someone good in the draft, and they should have some money to spend...

boozehound
04-17-2014, 11:53 AM
nope, sorry. Over a third of the lakers titles were in Minny. Celtics have the best dynasty and the most overall titles (and all in one city). I hate to say it, but they are the most successful/best NBA franchise.

Derka
04-17-2014, 12:18 PM
To be determined. He needs to have a good summer before I'm on board with this. He has goofed on a few things, specifically in his love affair with Jeff Green.

But compared to some other GMs? Shit, Danny's unquestionably in the upper echelon.

BlackVVaves
04-17-2014, 12:25 PM
lol, the only decade the celtics didn't win a finals was the same the lakers didn't either
also consider that like 5 out of their titles belong in minneapolis

"consistency"

Yet the Lakers at least got into the Finals that decade.

Also, would you agree that:

80s: Lakers >> Celtics
90s: Lakers > Celtics
2000-2010: Lakers >>>>> Celtics

?

BlackVVaves
04-17-2014, 12:29 PM
1. Pop/Buford
2. Riley
3. Aigne
4. Morey
5. Bird
6. Ujiri
7. Presti
8. ?

How is Presti, who grew his team from the bottom, a worse GM than Morey, Bird (who I'm almost certain isn't the GM) or Ujiri?

Presti's molded team has been to a NBA Finals already, what the **** have the Rockets or Nuggets done :oldlol:

VIntageNOvel
04-17-2014, 12:34 PM
How is Presti, who grew his team from the bottom, a worse GM than Morey, Bird (who I'm almost certain isn't the GM) or Ujiri?

Presti's molded team has been to a NBA Finals already, what the **** have the Rockets or Nuggets done :oldlol:

harden trade dropped him 5 spots
you dont trade a franchise player for a bag of chips

salwan
04-17-2014, 12:50 PM
Rondo, Sully, and Olynyk are good start. Green can be a part of the picture too.

Gonna add someone good in the draft, and they should have some money to spend...

Bradley keeps on constantly improving his shooting. with his defense he can be a part of the future, too.

mr.big35
04-17-2014, 12:51 PM

he is good at drafting players like the spurs front office. finding unknown players.

BlackVVaves
04-17-2014, 12:59 PM
harden trade dropped him 5 spots
you dont trade a franchise player for a bag of chips

Team has much better depth and is much better defensively since trade, and remains the same offensively :biggums:

OKC would have gotten to the Finals last year if Westbrook didn't get injured. If losing Harden was as bad as you say, it would have reflected in some direct way. But they have continued to be Top 2 in the west.

Maybe he could have gotten more. But he made out better than some of you assert.

This reasoning for putting someone like Ujiri or Morey over him is idiotic. Presti has hand crafted a Western powerhouse for the last 3 years :facepalm

VIntageNOvel
04-17-2014, 01:05 PM
Team has much better depth and is much better defensively since trade, and remains the same offensively :biggums:

OKC would have gotten to the Finals last year if Westbrook didn't get injured. If losing Harden was as bad as you say, it would have reflected in some direct way. But they have continued to be Top 2 in the west.

Maybe he could have gotten more. But he made out better than some of you assert.

This reasoning for putting someone like Ujiri or Morey over him is idiotic. Presti has hand crafted a Western powerhouse for the last 3 years :facepalm

couldve gotten a lot better deal if presti wasnt so hasty because of his pride

considering OKC is a capable big away from a ring, and how jazz basically let millsap/ big al go for free, he could send him there along with perkins
orrr he could ask for asik + picks for harden+ perks, and countless other possibility

im not saying harden trade was bad, but couldve been better,

and OKC improvement is expected, they are young and will only get better with every lose they take, so lamb/adams impact is arguable here, another variable for OKC this year : reggie -> has no conection with harden trade, he would still get more playing time and improve as is

BlackVVaves
04-17-2014, 01:11 PM
couldve gotten a lot better deal if presti wasnt so hasty because of his pride

considering OKC is a capable big away from a ring, and how jazz basically let millsap/ big al go for free, he could send him there along with perkins
orrr he could ask for asik + picks for harden+ perks, and countless other possibility

im not saying harden trade was bad, but couldve been better,

and OKC improvement is expected, they are young and will only get better with every lose they take, so lamb/adams impact is arguable here, another variable for OKC this year : reggie -> has no conection with harden trade, he would still get more playing time and improve as is

I agree with most here, especially the part about receiving a big like Jefferson. However, again, how the hell does that quantify a large enough drop that he's ranked behind Ujiri or Presti? Or Bird?

VIntageNOvel
04-17-2014, 01:20 PM
I agree with most here, especially the part about receiving a big like Jefferson. However, again, how the hell does that quantify a large enough drop that he's ranked behind Ujiri or Presti? Or Bird?

agree, presti still one of the best

personally i would rank em:

1. Riley
2. Mitch
3. Presti

Pop isnt a GM, and as a coach he transform garbage into gold,
give him this year buck squad, and he might turn em into 50 wins team next season, not really a result from good scouting/trade/gm, but a great system, so he's out of top 3.

Mitch -> biased and unobjective, but you have to agree that CP3 trade ,and last year howard deal is masterpiece, work of art (though sadly it didnt work out)

BlackVVaves
04-17-2014, 01:25 PM
agree, presti still one of the best

personally i would rank em:

1. Riley
2. Mitch
3. Presti

Pop isnt a GM, and as a coach he transform garbage into gold,
give him this year buck squad, and he might turn em into 50 wins team next season, not really a result from good scouting/trade/gm, but a great system, so he's out of top 3.

Mitch -> biased and unobjective, but you have to agree that CP3 trade ,and last year howard deal is masterpiece, work of art (though sadly it didnt work out)

Yeah, it amazes me how guys in this thread are putting a guy like Morey over a proven entity that had assembled championships in Mitch.

The level of remedial intelligence on this board at times is maddening :roll:

Rose'sACL
04-17-2014, 01:26 PM
Lakers are the most consistently elite franchise in NBA history. I hate Lakers more than the Celtics but it is the truth.
Even bill Simmons who is a Celtic homer didn't defend Celtics when jalen said that a lot of Celtics rings came in a weak era and that is why lakers are the best nba franchise of all time. Go to grantland YouTube channel to see that.

VIntageNOvel
04-17-2014, 01:30 PM
Yeah, it amazes me how guys in this thread are putting a guy like Morey over a proven entity that had assembled championships in Mitch.

The level of remedial intelligence on this board at times is maddening :roll:

:cheers: :cheers:

ive seen your post countless time before but cant recall what team/player are you rooting for,

are you bran stan?

BlackVVaves
04-17-2014, 01:40 PM
:cheers: :cheers:

ive seen your post countless time before but cant recall what team/player are you rooting for,

are you bran stan?

I'm the hero that ISH deserves, but not the hero it needs right now.

:lol

Nah, I am certainly not a Bron stan by any stretch. I'm an objective observer that tries to assess players fairly, for what they are and what they provide. I grew up a Lakers fan in a Lakers household in the 80s, but my fandom dissipated in the 90s once my favorite player retired (Magic).

So I guess you can say, I'm a former Lakers fan that still holds some affection for them, but doesn't overtly support them. Nor do I let my past ties delude my perspective; I have Kobe as my 8th and 9th greatest player, and think Bron is a better player than he is or ever was (but until the last couple of years still hailed Kobe for having the better career).

I can see myself becoming an emotionally engaged Lakers fan again once Kobe retires. I just can't stand his stans. Almost as vehemently as I despise LeBron stans.

CelticBaller
04-17-2014, 03:11 PM
Yet the Lakers at least got into the Finals that decade.

Also, would you agree that:

80s: Lakers >> Celtics
90s: Lakers > Celtics
2000-2010: Lakers >>>>> Celtics

?
http://www.clipartpal.com/_thumbs/pd/education/2nd_place_barnstar_T.png

sketchy
04-17-2014, 03:41 PM
People forgetting that two Celtics stars DIED within 7 years of each other while in the league and on the come-up. You can't hold that against the quality of the organization's front office. Let's not act like they wouldn't have been at least a little relevant in the 90's had that not happened.

tontoz
04-17-2014, 04:50 PM
To be determined. He needs to have a good summer before I'm on board with this. He has goofed on a few things, specifically in his love affair with Jeff Green.

But compared to some other GMs? Shit, Danny's unquestionably in the upper echelon.

Yeah he loses points for the Green deal but overall he is a good GM.

1987_Lakers
04-17-2014, 05:02 PM
Remember when people gave Ainge crap for trading Perkins for Green?:oldlol:

sketchy
04-17-2014, 05:06 PM
Believe it or not, my brother still does! :roll:

1987_Lakers
04-17-2014, 05:09 PM
Yeah he loses points for the Green deal but overall he is a good GM.

So you would rather have Perkins than Jeff Green right now?

sketchy
04-17-2014, 05:17 PM
Green is a really good person, but when it comes to basketball, he's really not that great. He's had about as much effect on winning as JR Smith this year tbh. He could be a really good 3rd/4th option though. He literally said himself that he doesn't like being the go-to guy, that it's too much responsibility and too difficult. Still, the Perkins trade was worth it. Haha.

ballup
04-17-2014, 05:22 PM
I think it was a bad trade on both ends. Celtics got the better end of the deal though.

Jeff Green would never fit in OKC's plans because of Ibaka's increased role and the fact that Durant plays Green's natural position. Sure he could hypothetically be brought from the bench, but he's not a go to scorer who brings offensive power immediately. It's been clear that Green isn't a primary scoring option either as noted by this past season. He's got such a nice kit to be a offensive focal point, but he's not naturally comfortable approaching the game that way, which is why he's not working out so well in the Celtics's plans.

Perkins wouldn't really help with the Celtic's later playoff runs because of his injury. Trading him destroyed moral for both the Celtics and Perkins. Maybe Rondo and KG covered his deficiencies so well, but now these days, he just seems like he can't be counted upon to do his role. Perkins looks sad and out of place. Certainly overpaying him was a bad idea too.

JohnnySic
04-17-2014, 05:32 PM
The Green/Perkins trade made perfect sense for the C's at that time. They needed a big, athletic wing to throw at LeBron James. Paul Pierce couldn't do the job by himself.

It was projected that both O'Neals would be ready for the playoffs (which turns out didn't happen), so having a 70% healthy Perkins was deemed less necessary.

Also, Green >>>> Perk in general.

1987_Lakers
04-17-2014, 05:33 PM
I think it was a bad trade on both ends. Celtics got the better end of the deal though.

Jeff Green would never fit in OKC's plans because of Ibaka's increased role and the fact that Durant plays Green's natural position. Sure he could hypothetically be brought from the bench, but he's not a go to scorer who brings offensive power immediately. It's been clear that Green isn't a primary scoring option either as noted by this past season. He's got such a nice kit to be a offensive focal point, but he's not naturally comfortable approaching the game that way, which is why he's not working out so well in the Celtics's plans.

Perkins wouldn't really help with the Celtic's later playoff runs because of his injury. Trading him destroyed moral for both the Celtics and Perkins. Maybe Rondo and KG covered his deficiencies so well, but now these days, he just seems like he can't be counted upon to do his role. Perkins looks sad and out of place. Certainly overpaying him was a bad idea too.

It was bad for both teams at the time, I agree. But people were acting like OKC got the better end of the deal at the time. People didn't realize Perkins was just a product of KG, Perkins has been AWFUL in OKC, especially in the playoffs. There is no doubt Jeff Green is the more productive player right now.

ballup
04-17-2014, 05:41 PM
It was bad for both teams at the time, I agree. But people were acting like OKC got the better end of the deal at the time. People didn't realize Perkins was just a product of KG, Perkins has been AWFUL in OKC, especially in the playoffs. There is no doubt Jeff Green is the more productive player right now.
Maybe I only remember my side cause I don't recall OKC fans being enthralled about the deal. They got Nate Rob in the deal, who came off of a positive playoff situation. Maybe that's why.

Derka
04-17-2014, 06:31 PM
I would much rather have had a shot at the 2011 NBA Finals over Jeff Green. All we had was a hurt Shaq against a Miami team that was beatable.

I 100% let Perk walk for nothing to free agency for a shot at title 18.

1987_Lakers
04-17-2014, 06:33 PM
I would much rather have had a shot at the 2011 NBA Finals over Jeff Green. All we had was a hurt Shaq against a Miami team that was beatable.

was 2011 the same year Rondo suffered an injury vs Miami in the playoffs? Even with Perkins they would have lost.

Shade8780
04-17-2014, 06:53 PM
2011 Celtics with Perk looked like legit Championship contenders. The trade for Green has turned out better for us now, but it cost us a shot at the Finals possibly. I thought we could've beaten the Heat and the Bulls that year with Perk, don't know about the Mavs with the form Dirk was in though.

tontoz
04-17-2014, 07:27 PM

No. Perkins sucks but that doesn't change the fact that Green is way overpaid. Not sure what Ainge was thinking giving him that much money.

I wouldn't want either one.

ProfessorMurder
04-17-2014, 07:40 PM
2011 Celtics with Perk looked like legit Championship contenders. The trade for Green has turned out better for us now, but it cost us a shot at the Finals possibly. I thought we could've beaten the Heat and the Bulls that year with Perk, don't know about the Mavs with the form Dirk was in though.

At the start of the year I thought the 2011 Celtics were the strongest they ever were in the Big 3 era. They just couldn't stay healthy, and the Perk trade happened.

ballup
04-17-2014, 07:41 PM

Perk wouldn't have done much fron a personel standpoint. Did you see how slow he was when he came back?

ProfessorMurder
04-17-2014, 07:44 PM
was 2011 the same year Rondo suffered an injury vs Miami in the playoffs? Even with Perkins they would have lost.

If by suffered you mean Wade hurt him.

If they had a healthy Shaq/JO/Perk they would've been fine. The team became a patchwork of scrubs due to health issues.

The team should've been:

Rondo/Bradley/Delonte
Ray/Nate
Pierce/Quis
KG/Baby
Shaq/JO/Perk

Derka
04-17-2014, 09:40 PM
Perk wouldn't have done much fron a personel standpoint. Did you see how slow he was when he came back?

How slow he was? At what point was he ever anything that could maybe be confused as quick?

Once that defense got set in the halfcourt, they would have been fine.

Its debatable that anyone could have stopped Dirk and the Mavs that year, for sure. But the C's would have been there and I have no doubts about that. Miami wasn't ready yet.