PDA

View Full Version : If Tony Parker wins the Chip + FMVP this year... Would he be the GOAT Euro?

RagaZ
04-17-2014, 09:14 AM
I would say yes.

2 FMVP(as many as Kobe Bryant and Bran btw)
4 Championships
European Champion with France(and MVP)

I love Dirk, but Tony's resume looks better. Dirk never won anything with Germany.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
04-17-2014, 09:20 AM
If youre a retard yes
hes several tiers below Dirk. Dirk never had stacked teams every season like Parker and when Dirk has a bad playoff series fans criticize him heavy.............when Parker does no one bats an eye b/c hes not a great player merely good and expectations are lo

T_L_P
04-17-2014, 09:21 AM
If we're talking strictly talent and impact alone, then no, he has no case.

Parker's prime stats are around 18/3/6, and he's been one of the most inconsistent "stars" in a long time (2005 Finals, 2006 Western Conference Semifinals).

If we're talking strictly resumes, then perhaps (although Dirk still gets the nod for me).

Grinder
04-17-2014, 09:24 AM
Using Dirk's European resum

sportjames23
Dirk, Sabonis, Galis, Petrovic, Manu >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Parker.

Bob Dole
I would say yes.

4 Championships

I love Dirk, but Tony's resume looks better. Dirk never won anything with Germany.

Idiots like you is why I'm beginning to hate this board. Dirk has 10+ seasons that are better than Tony Parker's best year and you think that he can be the greatest lol.

Comparing stuff like this is for the simpleton that doesn't understand the game, the ESPN watcher. There is no way that you can have seen them both play and think that tony is greater than Dirk.

Straight_Ballin
04-17-2014, 09:26 AM
lol not even close

he's not even touching Sabonis

jzek
04-17-2014, 09:38 AM
No, VSpan has that honor.

eklip
04-17-2014, 09:49 AM
I would say yes.

4 Championships

Parker only made it into 3 All-NBA teams and never into the first teams. Dirk: 4*first team, 5*second team, 3*third team in 15 years with elite competition for the forward spots (Duncan, Garnett, Lebron, Durant, Carmelo, Tmac, Webber, ...).

Even if you look at FIBA tournaments: Dirk has two MVPs (1 WC, 1 Eurobasket), 5 scoring titles (2 WC, 3 EuroBasket) and two medals (silver in Eurobasket, bronze in WC)

Parker has 1 MVP, 2 scoring titles and 3 medals (gold, silver and bronze) all in EuroBasket tournaments with much much better help.

I can't imagine how many titles Dirk would have had in the NBA, if he played with Duncan and for Pop.

Perfect
04-17-2014, 10:06 AM
Dirk, Sabonis, Galis, Petrovic, Manu >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Parker.

Manu is from Argentina.

sportjames23
04-17-2014, 10:22 AM
Manu is from Argentina.

Damn, you're right.

Dat nikka still >>>>>>> Parker doe. :cheers:

Artillery
04-17-2014, 10:39 AM
Comparing him to Dirk is a joke. Parker's not even on Pau's level.

SsKSpurs21
04-17-2014, 12:18 PM
obviously iam a Spurs fan but Dirk is the best Euro player of all time.

Tony is great, but he had the luxury of playing with Tim and Pop. Tony has also never been considered the best player in the NBA and Dirk has (MVP).

Tony does have a finals MVP but honestly the Cavs had noone to stop him so the entire game plan was for parker to rip boobie gibson while the other 4 shut down lebron. there was no clear MVP. they had to give it to someone and since parker had the highest ppg they gave it to him.

Euroleague
04-17-2014, 03:37 PM
Manu is from Argentina.

He's also Italian. So you count him as European if you want to. It's common knowledge that just about Argentina's whole national team is Italian.

Euroleague
04-17-2014, 03:38 PM
[QUOTE=Grinder]Using Dirk's European resum

CelticBaller
04-17-2014, 03:42 PM
nobody is dethroning dirk anytime soon

fpliii
04-17-2014, 03:45 PM
lol of course not

04-17-2014, 06:32 PM
Tony Parker is american to me.

"Parker" is English/anglosaxon.

If he was french, how come his name isn't "Aurelien du Charcot" or "p

Milbuck
04-17-2014, 06:34 PM
Replace TP with Dirk, and the Spurs win it all close to every year. It would be Russell's Celtics all over again.

NumberSix
04-17-2014, 06:40 PM
No, because only half of his r

Perfect
04-17-2014, 08:25 PM
He's also Italian. So you count him as European if you want to. It's common knowledge that just about Argentina's whole national team is Italian.

Woah you're right.

Gin

Rocketswin2013
04-17-2014, 08:29 PM
Nope

Cold soul
04-17-2014, 08:38 PM
Nope, not at all. That title belongs to Dirk.

ninephive
04-17-2014, 11:03 PM
obviously iam a Spurs fan but Dirk is the best Euro player of all time.

Tony is great, but he had the luxury of playing with Tim and Pop. Tony has also never been considered the best player in the NBA and Dirk has (MVP).

Tony does have a finals MVP but honestly the Cavs had noone to stop him so the entire game plan was for parker to rip boobie gibson while the other 4 shut down lebron. there was no clear MVP. they had to give it to someone and since parker had the highest ppg they gave it to him.
Come on, he was dominant in that series. Not many people can perform on the biggest stage, and he completely took over. His shooting percentage was ridiculous, and he deserves credit for it. Especially for sweeping a Lebron team who had one of the greatest playoff performances of all time a couple games before.

ninephive
04-17-2014, 11:06 PM
Replace TP with Dirk, and the Spurs win it all close to every year. It would be Russell's Celtics all over again.
That's so ridiculous. It completely rules out the chemistry of Parker running the offense and Duncan and him working so well together. You can't just throw a couple superstars together and assume they win every year.

ThePhantomCreep
04-17-2014, 11:10 PM
Tony Parker vs Paul Gasol is a closer matchup

Dirk is well ahead as the Euro-GOAT

R.I.P.
04-18-2014, 04:13 AM
That's so ridiculous. It completely rules out the chemistry of Parker running the offense and Duncan and him working so well together. You can't just throw a couple superstars together and assume they win every year.

Yes you can. They are a perfect fit next to each other. They

gabepizza
04-18-2014, 10:11 AM
New Zealand finished 4th. So it's not like it was a hard tournament. And it's was never called "World Championships". There was never an s at the end of it. Why do people always add an s at the end of it? It was never called that. It was called World Championship. Singular, not plural.

And the US finished 6th, their worst placement ever in any tournament.

Da Doc04
04-18-2014, 10:12 AM
Dirk>

eklip
04-18-2014, 10:24 AM
I can't think of a better fit next to Dirk at the center position than prime Duncan. Maybe Hakeem, but that's it. Ginobli would also be great next to Dirk and Duncan.

You can't throw superstars together who have similar roles, but I don't see any issues with Duncan and Dirk.

Silverbullit
04-18-2014, 01:33 PM
Tony who? :lol

rmt
04-18-2014, 02:17 PM
Come on, he was dominant in that series. Not many people can perform on the biggest stage, and he completely took over. His shooting percentage was ridiculous, and he deserves credit for it. Especially for sweeping a Lebron team who had one of the greatest playoff performances of all time a couple games before.

The series was won once Lebron was controlled on the perimeter by Bowen and in the paint by Duncan. IMO, Spurs would have won even without Parker. It would have been more difficult without his scoring and they wouldn't have swept, but the key to the series was definitely controlling Lebron - forcing him into contested jump shots (which he was terrible at back then). Spurs (even without Parker) was just too experienced and had too much firepower once Lebron was controlled. Parker was as you say "dominant" OFFENSIVELY because he was guarded by a hobbled Eric Snow and rookie Daniel Gibson and of course, Pop went with the mis-match.

ninephive
04-18-2014, 02:28 PM
The series was won once Lebron was controlled on the perimeter by Bowen and in the paint by Duncan. IMO, Spurs would have won even without Parker. It would have been more difficult without his scoring and they wouldn't have swept, but the key to the series was definitely controlling Lebron - forcing him into contested jump shots (which he was terrible at back then). Spurs (even without Parker) was just too experienced and had too much firepower once Lebron was controlled. Parker was as you say "dominant" OFFENSIVELY because he was guarded by a hobbled Eric Snow and rookie Daniel Gibson and of course, Pop went with the mis-match.
I agree with that, but you still don't get to act like TP didn't earn a FMVP. No one played as well as he did, and he was basically unstoppable. Lebron should have been tasked with guarding him more, but if I remember correctly, Parker was so fast in 07 that on several occasions when Lebron got switched on him, he blew by him for an easy layup.

In fact, Tim Duncan has only once averaged as many points in a Finals series (of his 5) as Parker did in 2007.

rmt
04-18-2014, 02:35 PM
I agree with that, but you still don't get to act like TP didn't earn a FMVP. No one played as well as he did, and he was basically unstoppable. Lebron should have been tasked with guarding him more, but if I remember correctly, Parker was so fast in 07 that on several occasions when Lebron got switched on him, he blew by him for an easy layup.

In fact, Tim Duncan has only once averaged as many points in a Finals series (of his 5) as Parker did in 2007.

Like ppg is the end-all and be-all of everything. There are 2 sides of the court with defense of Lebron being of utmost importance in the 07 Finals. The other Cavs just didn't have the talent or firepower to worry the Spurs. And comparing Parker's OFFENSIVE output to Duncan's OVERALL performances in any of his first 3 finals is laughable.

SilkkTheShocker
04-18-2014, 02:39 PM
Dirk won a title with a bunch of role players. Parker won his Finals MVP going against a 2nd round draft pick rookie.

ninephive
04-18-2014, 02:49 PM
Like ppg is the end-all and be-all of everything. There are 2 sides of the court with defense of Lebron being of utmost importance in the 07 Finals. The other Cavs just didn't have the talent or firepower to worry the Spurs. And comparing Parker's OFFENSIVE output to Duncan's OVERALL performances in any of his first 3 finals is laughable.
What is Parker supposed to do? Grab 14 rebounds a game as a PG? Average 3 blocks/game? He consistently holds the people he guards to low shooting percentages (Chalmers/Cole, Conley, Curry, Blake) all shot under 41% from the field. At the same time you have Howard shooting .619, Gasol shooting .481, Landry shooting .548, Bogut shooting .548, David Lee shooting .500, Bosh shooting .462, and Birdman shooting .727. I'm not saying Duncan was a bad defender in the playoffs, I'm just saying Parker's impact involves holding the people he guards to a very low percentage consistently, while he himself shoots a very high percentage as a PG. I'm really not sure what is a better gauge of defensive impact than what you can hold the guys you guard to shoot.

ninephive
04-18-2014, 02:51 PM
Dirk won a title with a bunch of role players. Parker won his Finals MVP going against a 2nd round draft pick rookie.
You say it like Parker wasn't 28 seconds away from beating an improved Lebron even over the one Dirk beat.

SilkkTheShocker
04-18-2014, 02:56 PM
You say it like Parker wasn't 28 seconds away from beating an improved Lebron even over the one Dirk beat.

Parker hit clutch shots over him in games 1 and 6. But lets not act like Duncan was the lead dog that series. Hell, I was more scared of Leonard and Green than I was of Parker. Forgot he was playing at times.

NumberSix
04-18-2014, 03:02 PM
But he's not from Europe. He's from South America. If we're doing it that way, Larry Bird is the best European player.

rmt
04-18-2014, 03:59 PM
What is Parker supposed to do? Grab 14 rebounds a game as a PG? Average 3 blocks/game? He consistently holds the people he guards to low shooting percentages (Chalmers/Cole, Conley, Curry, Blake) all shot under 41% from the field. At the same time you have Howard shooting .619, Gasol shooting .481, Landry shooting .548, Bogut shooting .548, David Lee shooting .500, Bosh shooting .462, and Birdman shooting .727. I'm not saying Duncan was a bad defender in the playoffs, I'm just saying Parker's impact involves holding the people he guards to a very low percentage consistently, while he himself shoots a very high percentage as a PG. I'm really not sure what is a better gauge of defensive impact than what you can hold the guys you guard to shoot.

Now you're switching to this past Finals instead of 07 when Parker had virtually no defensive impact and Duncan shut down the lane for Lebron - forcing him to take contested jump shots over Bowen.

And speaking of this past Finals, why in the world was Parker chucking in game 6 (6 of 23 for 26%) when Duncan and Leonard were shooting 62% and 64% respectively. IMO, he was going after that FMVP before securing that ring.

Euroleague
04-18-2014, 09:09 PM
But he's not from Europe. He's from South America. If we're doing it that way, Larry Bird is the best European player.

No. Because his parents are not from Italy. Two entirely different things. And you can't just get citizenship in European countries because you are white.

You actually have to have parents, or in a few countries, grandparents that are born and raised in that country and lived in that country.

It's not the same thing.

If you wanted to give such an example, you could have mentioned Kurt Rambis, Mike D'Antoni, Kevin McHale..........guys like that.

But on the other hand, McHale's mother was Croatian, so if you had said his name instead, that would have made sense.

Any white person isn't actually eligible for European citizenship. Ginobili was because his parents are Italians. Bird's parents are Americans. Two completely different things.

In the case of McHale, his mother is Croatian, so if he had pursued it, maybe. But he never did.

The difference is obvious, in that, as is common knowledge, Argentina is loaded full of Italian people that live there under Italian language, heritage, culture, everything. It's like the whole of Italy right there.

It's not like in America where you are expected to assimilate. So it's far from being the same thing at all.

It's not little Italy or something, it's half the country is Italy. Which explains for example why their national team is almost exclusively Italian people. Whole sections of the country are like that.