PDA

View Full Version : Which player in NBA history would defend Durant the best?

jongib369
04-17-2014, 11:40 AM
Any player you can think of, doesn't matter if it's Scottie Pippen or Bill Russell.....Who has the length, athleticism and smarts to defend him better than anyone?

http://media.culturemap.com/crop/37/0c/600x450/Kevin_Durant_dunk.jpg

HylianNightmare
04-17-2014, 11:46 AM
came in here to post prime KG, pip would be fun too along with tmac if he was motivated on D

WillC
04-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Kevin Garnett
Scottie Pippen
LeBron James
Dennis Rodman

Those are your best bets. I'd probably go with Garnett though - he has the right combination of size, intensity, quickness, etc.

VIntageNOvel
04-17-2014, 11:53 AM
Kevin Garnett
Scottie Pippen
LeBron James
Dennis Rodman

Those are your best bets. I'd probably go with Garnett though - he has the right combination of size, intensity, quickness, etc.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

imdaman99
04-17-2014, 12:01 PM
Bran + ref help to hack the living hell out of him

Check end of Game 2 2012 Finals for reference. Dat lockdown :bowdown:

Marchesk
04-17-2014, 12:03 PM
I'd be really curious if Bill Russell could guard a perimeter player like Durant.

What about Dr J or Bobby Jones?

Marlo_Stanfield
04-17-2014, 12:05 PM
Wilt Chamberlain when he was 260-280 punds would nlock the living crap outta Durat

VIntageNOvel
04-17-2014, 12:10 PM
to answer OP question:

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/files/2012/06/Durant-Westbrook-GIF.gif

goatbrook would lock the shiit outta durant

Odinn
04-17-2014, 12:15 PM
I do not want to sound like a Jordan-stan but first 3peat Jordan would slow Durant down better than anyone.

I know Durant is way more taller than MJ. But the best odd against Durant is bothering his body rythm with challenging his moves before the shots-drives and you need speed/quickness/agility to do that. And MJ has the stronger body of the two with much greater agility.

For me the height isn't the answer because Durant is exceptionally tall for what he's doing.

kobeef24
04-17-2014, 12:15 PM
Kevin Garnett
Scottie Pippen
LeBron James
Dennis Rodman

Gotta agree with KG and Pippen. I can see Jordan, Bowen, or a prime Artest giving him trouble too.

HoopsFanNumero1
04-17-2014, 12:16 PM
Shane Battier

toxicxr6
04-17-2014, 12:17 PM
2017 K Leonard

Thorpesaurous
04-17-2014, 12:41 PM
Most of these I'd take my chances with. Although I'd be a little less inclined with Garnett than most. I don't want him that far from the basket.

A guy who'd be interesting who's not quite at the reputation level of most of these guys would be Larry Nance.

Uncle Drew
04-17-2014, 12:42 PM
Bad Boy Rodman would destroy Kevin Durant.

oarabbus
04-17-2014, 12:48 PM
Prime Andrei Kirilenko or Shawn Marion would give him fits

Trollsmasher
04-17-2014, 12:49 PM
Clutch Time is pretty good

absalom
04-17-2014, 01:05 PM
I've said this on another thread. Rasheed Wallace, he has the quickness and length to contest Durant while at the same time verbally harassing him.

scm5
04-17-2014, 01:14 PM

I'm surprised this has been the only mention of Marion in this thread so far.

jongib369
04-17-2014, 01:16 PM
Kevin Garnett
Scottie Pippen
LeBron James
Dennis Rodman

What makes Garnett the better option to put on Durant rather than someone like Russell? Not disagreeing just curious

MavAlbert
04-17-2014, 01:17 PM
Kevin Garnett in his peak would make him quit.

just like he shut down Dirk in the playoffs?? oh wait...

MavAlbert
04-17-2014, 01:18 PM

this... matrix guards him better than anyone in the league.

Bandito
04-17-2014, 03:31 PM
matrix

WillC
04-17-2014, 03:38 PM
What makes Garnett the better option to put on Durant rather than someone like Russell? Not disagreeing just curious

We have zero evidence of Bill Russell defending wing players.

Garnett could guard small forward, power forwards and some centers. His versatility would be useful against Durant. Meanwhile, Garnett was a couple of inches taller than Russell.

fpliii
04-17-2014, 03:41 PM
We have zero evidence of Bill Russell defending wing players.

Garnett could guard small forward, power forwards and some centers. His versatility would be useful against Durant. Meanwhile, Garnett was a couple of inches taller than Russell.
In his/Oscar's/West's books I think there are some mentions (not sure of it was for single possessions or extended portions of games), CavsFTW or PHILA could probably comment on the tape since they've seen it so often.

NumberSix
04-17-2014, 03:42 PM
Whether Durant can be defended is all up to the refs.

Cold soul
04-17-2014, 03:46 PM
KG

fpliii
04-17-2014, 03:49 PM
I'm gonna say Scottie or KG.

gts
04-17-2014, 03:52 PM
A prime Ron Artest would take him out of his game

WillC
04-17-2014, 03:57 PM
In his/Oscar's/West's books I think there are some mentions (not sure of it was for single possessions or extended portions of games), CavsFTW or PHILA could probably comment on the tape since they've seen it so often.

I've read autobiographies of all three players and don't recall Russell defending any wing players for a significant amount of time.

He is perhaps my all-time favourite player, but he defended the post - he wouldn't be used to someone like Durant.

Genaro
04-17-2014, 03:57 PM
Please stop doubling threads.

Same answer as last week: All primes KG, AK-47 or Pippen.

fpliii
04-17-2014, 04:00 PM
I've read autobiographies of all three players and don't recall Russell defending any wing players for a significant amount of time.

He is perhaps my all-time favourite player, but he defended the post - he wouldn't be used to someone like Durant.
I'm not sure about the Oscar/West quotes, maybe they praised his defense in general, but in one of Russell's books, I remember him saying that when he played Oscar, he knew what his range was, so beyond a certain distance he'd give him the shot. I can check when I get home, but it was in one if his first two books.

JohnMax
04-17-2014, 04:00 PM
Durant seems to struggle against shorter guys like Francisco Garcia and Reggie Bullock

Thorpesaurous
04-17-2014, 04:06 PM

Those are both really good options too. I remember Marion on the Suns doing real work against Dirk, and there's some similarities between the two. It seemed to take teams longer than I imagined it would to defend Dirk with longer smaller players. It was like Rockets TMac guarding Dirk for stretches was a revelation. As efficient as Durant is in the post, it's not as if he's doing things down there that the extra size will help much with. Dirk was similar. But he had extra size to at least threaten more in the post, even if at the end of the day he was gonna throw up a turnaround, at which point the extra size wasn't going to help anyway.

sketchy
04-17-2014, 04:09 PM
I think it's gotta be Pip for me. Athletic, long, already accustomed to defending the perimeter, right blend of poise and able to get in his head.

Other obviously candidates - Rodman, Artest, Marion, KG.

Some dude said 2017 Kawhi. :oldlol: That'll probably turn out to be true.

imdaman99
04-17-2014, 04:11 PM
Artest on the Lakers was like 5 years past his defensive prime and still made life hell for Durant in the playoffs in 2010. But that was pre-prime Durant. I think Artest would do a good job on him, especially when he was winning DPOY :bowdown:

atljonesbro
04-17-2014, 04:11 PM
*Insert player from the past and make nostalgic comments overrating the players defense*

JebronLames
04-17-2014, 04:38 PM
Depends what type of game.

Regular season game - scottie pippen
Playoffs- Lebron
All star game- Kobe

riseagainst
04-17-2014, 04:56 PM
Depends what type of game.

Regular season game - scottie pippen
Playoffs- Lebron
All star game- Kobe

:roll:

TheReal Kendall
04-17-2014, 05:42 PM

This and maybe Pip or MJ

Straight_Ballin
04-17-2014, 06:59 PM
Most of these I'd take my chances with. Although I'd be a little less inclined with Garnett than most. I don't want him that far from the basket.

A guy who'd be interesting who's not quite at the reputation level of most of these guys would be Larry Nance.

Him and hotrod Williams

Big#50
04-17-2014, 07:42 PM
With fair officiating
Bowen
Marion
Pippen
KG
Horry
AK
Fox
Prince
Jordan
Battier
Rodman
Leonard
Artest

When you cant be physical and play your normal defense a player can look better than he is.

bizil
04-17-2014, 07:57 PM
With fair officiating
Bowen
Marion
Pippen
KG
Horry
AK
Fox
Prince
Jordan
Battier
Rodman
Leonard
Artest

When you cant be physical and play your normal defense a player can look better than he is.

That's a great list of great defenders throughout the years! I would also throw in Derrick McKey, Cliffy Robinson, and Bobby Jones.

Solefade
04-17-2014, 08:04 PM
with hand checking? lebron would lock the shit out of KD

red1
04-17-2014, 08:16 PM
Artest on the Lakers was like 5 years past his defensive prime and still made life hell for Durant in the playoffs in 2010. But that was pre-prime Durant. I think Artest would do a good job on him, especially when he was winning DPOY :bowdown:
he would foul out in the first quarter if he tried defending him today like he did in that series

LAZERUSS
04-17-2014, 11:18 PM
Michael Cooper, Bruce Bowen, and a younger Rodman...

La Frescobaldi
04-18-2014, 01:00 AM

Bill Russell switched off centers a lot. His lateral quickness was blistering. He could get to the corner so quick that forwards would literally turn away from the basket and pick up the ball in shock.

He shut down one of the NBA's all-time unstoppable forwards, Chet Walker in '68 by bringing in Wayne Embry to guard Chamberlain and he proceeded to put a bear trap on the Jet. Had no trouble with Elgin Baylor either (relatively speaking of course). Did he guard them all game? Nope. But he drew the hardest assignments for himself. A lot.

And I only saw Russell when he was a old, old man.

Round Mound
04-18-2014, 02:20 AM
Stop him? :no: but Pippen and Young Rodman Would Be The Best To Defend Him

ILLsmak
04-18-2014, 06:19 AM
Bad Boy Rodman would destroy Kevin Durant.

That's what I'm thinking. We haven't seen KD get roughed up. Obviously the league would protect him, but that's why you get 6 fouls. If you take 3 good ones, that can really change a game.

-Smak

Harison
04-18-2014, 06:42 AM
Russell, Hakeem, Garnett, mature Wilt, anyone of them assigned full-time on Durant could make him sweat blood :lol

A lot of elite defenders mentioned in this thread would lack either size, vertical or agility to rival guys above, like Bowen, Artest, Battier, even Jordan, etc. They were awesome at D, but not perfect for specific question at hand. I dont know why Marion is even mentioned though, he is a tier or two bellow MJ and the likes at D.

kells333
04-18-2014, 09:47 AM
Russell, Hakeem, Garnett, mature Wilt, anyone of them assigned full-time on Durant could make him sweat blood :lol

A lot of elite defenders mentioned in this thread would lack either size, vertical or agility to rival guys above, like Bowen, Artest, Battier, even Jordan, etc. They were awesome at D, but not perfect for specific question at hand. I dont know why Marion is even mentioned though, he is a tier or two bellow MJ and the likes at D.

I dont get why so many people think these centers and power forwards are guarding durants. He would blow by them every play no problem. Your better off with a artest marion type and try to rough him up alittle.

Rocketswin2013
04-18-2014, 09:51 AM
Somebody said above: "You have 6 fouls, you give 3 good ones" :rockon:

That is peak Ron Artest in a nutshell. This is a guy who is known for breaking bones and giving concussions(both literally). He would keep Durant off the low block and force him to shoot jumpers, and he's getting decked anytime he tries that rip through. Honestly in the early 00's, I think several guys could give him fits.

Bobby Jones would make him work for everything too.

But more than anybody, prime Shawn Marion. I mean Marion to this day, way out of his athletic peak gives him fits and he has been since KD came into the league.

Lebron23
04-18-2014, 10:21 AM
http://www.esquire.com/cm/esquire/images/wU/esq-scottie-pippen-0112-lg.jpg

Harison
04-18-2014, 10:43 AM
I dont get why so many people think these centers and power forwards are guarding durants. He would blow by them every play no problem. Your better off with a artest marion type and try to rough him up alittle.

Not just any C/PF, but the quickest, most agile bigs ever to play basketball, who can keep up with guards, what to speak of SF like Durant. Who btw, isnt as quick as those guys.

Dro
04-18-2014, 10:58 AM
I'm going with Scottie...definitely...

SHAQisGOAT
04-18-2014, 11:02 AM
Similar thread was made not long ago.. I said this..

The 5 guys, all-time, that I would pick to guard KD, that would give him the most trouble imho, would be:

Bobby Jones
Scottie Pippen
Dennis Rodman (younger, peak overall defensively, at least on the perimeter)
Michael Cooper
Bruce Bowen

Peak Ron Artest, young Kevin Garnett, Rodney McCray, Gus Johnson, Dan Roundfield, peak Tayshaun Prince and Andrei Kirilenko, Shawn Marion, Michael Jordan, John Havlicek... also some great choices.

Dro
04-18-2014, 11:08 AM
Sidney Moncrief anyone? Or is he too short? How about George Lynch?

Jailblazers7
04-18-2014, 11:14 AM
The SF position gets a lot of hype these days but there really aren't that many great defenders compared to what it was 6-8 years ago. I mean look at the list of what it used to be:

Artest
Bowen
AK47
Marion
Gerald Wallace
Prince
Iggy

Hell, even Caron Butler used to be a pretty damn good defender and T-Mac could turn it on when he wanted to.

joeysms55
04-18-2014, 11:43 AM
No one because you breath close to him he gets a foul... Like seriously

DuMa
04-18-2014, 11:55 AM
TMac easily.

AnaheimLakers24
04-18-2014, 11:59 AM
/tayshaun prince

SHAQisGOAT
04-18-2014, 12:55 PM
Sidney Moncrief anyone? Or is he too short? How about George Lynch?

Imho Moncrief's the greatest guard/perimeter defender ever but too short in this case, really.. I mean he was a great athlete and a great defensive player but like 6'4'' and wasn't too big at just swipping at the ball, keeping the hands active, call it gamble even, sorta like someone like Cooper or Jordan (which could be great against Durant).. He was more about ball denial, position denial, trying to contest every shot, hogging players, forcing them out of balance, keeping them out of the paint.. Say if I was picking someone to guard Jordan, it'd be definitely him or Payton (actually the guys that guarded him better.. Joey D and Rodman too..). Not that he wouldn't do a great job but there are other players I'd pick before, to guard KD.

Lynch could do a good job but not as good as players mentioned here before, the best ones.

SHAQisGOAT
04-18-2014, 12:56 PM
/tayshaun prince

Bobby Jones was actually sort of like a mixture between Prince and Kirilenko, before them, but better overall defensively, at his best..

Dro
04-18-2014, 01:00 PM
How about a prime Ben Wallace? or a prime Josh Smith?

Fudge
04-18-2014, 01:03 PM
Nobody would or can stop KD single handedly.

So to sum it up, nobody.

ImKobe
04-18-2014, 01:06 PM
championship or bust

SilkkTheShocker
04-18-2014, 01:08 PM
LeBron made him cry.

La Frescobaldi
04-19-2014, 11:34 PM
Bobby Jones was actually sort of like a mixture between Prince and Kirilenko, before them, but better overall defensively, at his best..
Bobby Jones better than Andrei Kirilenko? Not sure

Rocketswin2013
04-19-2014, 11:55 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fqP1VsD0tC4/UYqURNpetZI/AAAAAAAABOI/jhIItENdaSw/s1600/tony-allen4.jpg

fpliii
05-07-2014, 07:39 PM

Just an update, I asked ThaRegul8r for some quotes on the matter from his extensive database, and he was able to provide the following:

[quote]"With Russell," said Hayes "you never know what to expect. He has such great lateral movement. He's always got an angle on you. He told me that he can take just two steps and block a shot from any position on the court. I remember the first time I was matched up against him. I was out in the corner and he was under the basket. I figured it was safe to shoot. But as I went up, there he was, tipping the shot.
(Pat Putnam,

20Four
05-07-2014, 07:40 PM
Prime Prince and Prime Michael Cooper :cheers:

RoundMoundOfReb
05-07-2014, 07:44 PM
Tony Allen

dc_chilling
05-07-2014, 10:09 PM
It depends on the era.

If you could handcheck, I would go with Lebron or Rodman.

Overall, I would probably take a young Dennis Rodman though. Rodman from those bad boys teams was just brutal on defense. He was like Tony Allen if TA was much taller, stronger, and more athletic. Rodman was no joke.

Leftimage
05-07-2014, 10:17 PM
Any player you can think of, doesn't matter if it's Scottie Pippen or Bill Russell.....Who has the length, athleticism and smarts to defend him better than anyone?

currently: Lebron James, Tony Allen

Lebron did good on KD last time around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPBeQybtvbA

JimmyMcAdocious
05-07-2014, 10:18 PM
Garnett

Mure
05-07-2014, 11:01 PM
Pippen or Detroit Rodman, pick one.

VengefulAngel
05-07-2014, 11:02 PM
Not Matt Barnes...

JohnFreeman
05-07-2014, 11:03 PM
Tony Allen

SHAQisGOAT
05-07-2014, 11:48 PM
Imho Moncrief's the greatest guard/perimeter defender ever but too short in this case, really.. I mean he was a great athlete and a great defensive player but like 6'4'' and wasn't too big at just swipping at the ball, keeping the hands active, call it gamble even, sorta like someone like Cooper or Jordan (which could be great against Durant).. He was more about ball denial, position denial, trying to contest every shot, hogging players, forcing them out of balance, keeping them out of the paint.. Say if I was picking someone to guard Jordan, it'd be definitely him or Payton (actually the guys that guarded him better.. Joey D and Rodman too..). Not that he wouldn't do a great job but there are other players I'd pick before, to guard KD.

And now looking back at what Tony Allen was doing :D Moncrief could play even better defense and was stronger.

kkb_12
05-08-2014, 02:21 AM
Bowen, Artest, Pippen

PickernRoller
05-08-2014, 02:24 AM
Anyone prior to 2005....