PDA

View Full Version : Jerry West or Dwayne Wade?

Jameerthefear
04-18-2014, 11:43 PM
Who you got?

Nuff Said
04-18-2014, 11:45 PM
Damn what's with the jerry west barrage lately?

JohnFreeman
04-18-2014, 11:47 PM
Wade

Suguru101
04-18-2014, 11:47 PM
The one you can't ignore outside of 20 feet.

BlackVVaves
04-18-2014, 11:48 PM
Damn what's with the jerry west barrage lately?

Word

Warfan
04-18-2014, 11:48 PM
Jerry

D.J.
04-18-2014, 11:49 PM
Call me when the NBA starts using Dwyane Wade on their logo.

kennethgriffin
04-18-2014, 11:52 PM
i only compare rings with comparable players..

wade might have 2 more titles. but he isnt on the same tier as guys like west, baylor, barkley, malone etc...

Wade

2004-05 NBA All-Defensive (2nd)
2004-05 NBA All-NBA (2nd)
2005-06 NBA All-NBA (2nd)
2006-07 NBA All-NBA (3rd)
2008-09 NBA All-Defensive (2nd)
2008-09 NBA All-NBA (1st)
2009-10 NBA All-Defensive (2nd)
2009-10 NBA All-NBA (1st)
2010-11 NBA All-NBA (2nd)
2011-12 NBA All-NBA (3rd)
2012-13 NBA All-NBA (3rd)

West

1961-62 NBA All-NBA (1st)
1962-63 NBA All-NBA (1st)
1963-64 NBA All-NBA (1st)
1964-65 NBA All-NBA (1st)
1965-66 NBA All-NBA (1st)
1966-67 NBA All-NBA (1st)
1967-68 NBA All-NBA (2nd)
1968-69 NBA All-Defensive (2nd)
1968-69 NBA All-NBA (2nd)
1969-70 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
1969-70 NBA All-NBA (1st)
1970-71 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
1970-71 NBA All-NBA (1st)
1971-72 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
1971-72 NBA All-NBA (1st)
1972-73 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
1972-73 NBA All-NBA (1st)

its obvious the level of play was not comparable... i mean sometimes one or two all nba awards can go the wrong way.. but when we're looking at that much of a gap.. its pretty much obvious that west was the best guard in the nba nearly his whole career.. while wade was around 4th-6th best guard for most of his

Pushxx
04-18-2014, 11:55 PM
Jerry West.

Smook A.
04-18-2014, 11:58 PM
All depends on Wade's longevity. Right now I'd say their peaks are comparable, with Wade's possibly being better in the regular season. In terms of accolades, West has got Wade with his huge number of All-NBA 1st team selections, and a few All-Defensive 1st team selections. West was a better post-season performer, although it's comparable seeing as how in the year he averaged 40PPG in the playoffs, the Lakers were averaging over 110PPG, with West taking 32FGA per game...Wade, meanwhile, has been on slow-paced defensive teams where he's generally taken about or more than 20 FGA per game. Besides the volume of their scoring, their post-season numbers are very similar.

Overall, if Wade has 3-4 more seasons of above average play then I have him as a lock for the 3rd best SG of all time behind Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan. A player like West who's SO decorated is almost impossible to top for an 11th year player with 3 rings, no matter how good he is.

However, it all depends on how you judge player from back in the '60's compared to now. If you're one of those people who thinks no way would West have much success in today's NBA, then Wade already is ahead of West. There may be truth to that, but I tend to give player's from back then more credit for what they did in their respective era as opposed to discrediting them for not being able to play at that same level in today's NBA.

TheReal Kendall
04-19-2014, 12:20 AM
Is the question who would we rather have on our team or are we talking who had the better career???

WillC
04-19-2014, 05:24 AM
Jerry West had the better career and was, compared to his contemporaries, a better player than Wade was compared to his.

However, as is the case in nearly all of these "old" vs "new" arguments, Wade is probably the better player.

In terms of the GOAT list, West easily beats Wade.

Random_Guy
04-19-2014, 05:26 AM
West

ImKobe
04-19-2014, 05:28 AM
Who's this Dwayne fellow?

Yankstar
04-19-2014, 05:38 AM
If Wade never had a the meniscus removed and instead got it repaired he could of had Kobe or Jordan level longevity. As it is can't pick the man who rests every other game at age 32... :facepalm

moe94
04-19-2014, 05:41 AM
People picking West surely saw him play...

Harison
04-19-2014, 05:42 AM
Mr. Clutch, not even close.

no pun intended
04-19-2014, 05:43 AM
People picking West surely saw him play...
Right, but I cannot imagine people will talk about Wade's greatness 40-50 years from now as much as we are talking about West's greatness 40-50 years since he played.

moe94
04-19-2014, 05:47 AM
Right, but I cannot imagine people will talk about Wade's greatness 40-50 years from now as much as we are talking about West's greatness 40-50 years since he played.

Reggie Miller is more revered and talked about than Mitch Richmond but Mitch Richmond was a better player. I don't see the point you're making.

If I had to choose a SG and these two were my only choices, I'm going Wade every single time. :confusedshrug:

WillC
04-19-2014, 07:18 AM
Reggie Miller is more revered and talked about than Mitch Richmond but Mitch Richmond was a better player.

You sure about that?

All-time rankings amongst Hall of Fame guards:

Win Shares:

Miller 4th all-time
Richmond 15th all-time

Win Shares Per 48 Minutes:

Miller 10th all-time
Richmond 29th all-time

PER:

Miller 15th all-time
Richmond 22nd all-time

TS%:

Miller 1st all-time
Richmond 10th all-time

eFG%:

Miller 2nd all-time
Richmond 10th all-time

I could go on, but I think you get the point.

moe94
04-19-2014, 07:23 AM
I don't get the point. Please do go on and prove how Reggie Miller was a better player than Mitch Richmond because of TS%, PER and win shares.

WillC
04-19-2014, 07:45 AM
I don't get the point. Please do go on and prove how Reggie Miller was a better player than Mitch Richmond because of TS%, PER and win shares.

I just did.

ArbitraryWater
04-19-2014, 08:25 AM
West is routinely listed in the top 15 while Wade is more top 25... so there ya go

dannywpt
04-19-2014, 08:47 AM
Wade is nothing without LeBron. He made Wade. Prime Wade is borderline top 10 SG in the league without LeMVP

JohnFreeman
04-19-2014, 09:18 AM
Wade if you want to win, West if you want to have fun.

red1
04-19-2014, 09:20 AM
wade better player west better career

ReturnofJPR
04-19-2014, 09:22 AM
Lol West, the logo, over heRpes deadbeat dad messed up jaw dirty wade

christian1923
04-19-2014, 09:24 AM
It's gotta be a white basketball insecurity reason for those ppl saying west. Get real

Nuff Said
04-19-2014, 11:39 AM
Wade is nothing without LeBron. He made Wade. Prime Wade is borderline top 10 SG in the league without LeMVP
The whole reason for the hate lebron got was because he teamed with arguably the second best player in the league now prime wade isn't shit? And Wade is proven. He's able to win multiple times with a goat teammate unlike West.

Im Still Ballin
04-19-2014, 11:40 AM
Wade in a heartbeat

MavsSuperFan
04-19-2014, 12:03 PM
West is greater.
Wade is better.

atljonesbro
04-19-2014, 12:05 PM
Wade for sure

Cold soul
04-19-2014, 12:27 PM
Jerry West was the better player and overall career so him.

Marchesk
04-19-2014, 12:28 PM
West had the better career, and will be remembered longer. We're still arguing about him after all these years!

As for who is better, it's impossible to say because they didn't play in the same era. West growing up now has the same advantages as Wade. Wade growing up then has the same disadvantages. West would have benefited from the 3 pt line. We only have stats on his steals and blocks from his last season, and they were very good. People talk about Wade being a great shot blocking SG, but so was West.

The only thing you can do when asking whether player A from era X is better than player B from era Y with comparable careers is to measure them relative to the their competition. And on that, West comes out ahead. The only guard better than the Logo in his era was Oscar.

Also, it's not like West wasn't athletic. I've read that he could get 16 inches above the rim in college.

Now peak season might go to Wade with the slower pace and his great post-season that year.

Marchesk
04-19-2014, 12:30 PM
It's gotta be a white basketball insecurity reason for those ppl saying west. Get real

And if we were comparing Oscar to Wade, what then? What a stupid coment. West is top 15 in everyone's list. Wade isn't.

TheNaturalWR
04-19-2014, 12:51 PM
And if we were comparing Oscar to Wade, what then? What a stupid coment. West is top 15 in everyone's list. Wade isn't.

Nobody's arguing that West isn't higher on the all-time list than Wade but it's not because he was the better player. Put Wade in West's era and we're talking about Wade in the GOAT discussion. You think any of those dudes would be able to stay in front of Wade for more than 2 seconds? **** no.

Marchesk
04-19-2014, 02:19 PM
Nobody's arguing that West isn't higher on the all-time list than Wade but it's not because he was the better player. Put Wade in West's era and we're talking about Wade in the GOAT discussion. You think any of those dudes would be able to stay in front of Wade for more than 2 seconds? **** no.

Are we time travelling Wade out of college to that era? Is Wade taking PEDs back then? Is he allowed to carry and walk? Does flopping get him calls? Can he be as explosive in Chuck Taylors?

When Wade goes to the rim, and Wilt or Russell or Thurmond are there to greet him, what is he doing? You think the spacing was the same without a three point line?

It's not the same, dude. West was great in an era that favored the bigs. You weren't allowed to dribble like you are now. West didn't have Dr J or MJ or any of those dudes to model his game off of. His long distant shots only counted as two points.

Have West and Wade grow up in the same era. You pick. Then tell me who you think would be the better player.

ThePhantomCreep
04-19-2014, 02:51 PM
West, for sure.

Better, longer peak, better career. For those knocking West's era, keep in mind that he was still good for 20/7 at 36 years of age, only 6 years before the arrival of Bird and Magic. His nasty jumper would find a home in any era.

MavsSuperFan
04-19-2014, 02:56 PM
give up man, these guys are like a cult.
They honestly think 1960s NBA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Current NBA

TheNaturalWR
04-19-2014, 03:02 PM
Are we time travelling Wade out of college to that era? Is Wade taking PEDs back then? Is he allowed to carry and walk? Does flopping get him calls? Can he be as explosive in Chuck Taylors?

When Wade goes to the rim, and Wilt or Russell or Thurmond are there to greet him, what is he doing? You think the spacing was the same without a three point line?

It's not the same, dude. West was great in an era that favored the bigs. You weren't allowed to dribble like you are now. West didn't have Dr J or MJ or any of those dudes to model his game off of. His long distant shots only counted as two points.

Have West and Wade grow up in the same era. You pick. Then tell me who you think would be the better player.

Wade is one of the most explosive players in NBA HISTORY, he could be playing barefoot and his athleticism would still be shown. Prime Wade routinely shitted on elite defenses in the postseason I doubt he'd struggle. Wilt and Russell never faced someone explosive as Wade, there's no doubt in my mind Wde would YAM it on them given the situation for it.

As for the question? It's easily Wade for me. I'll take the more explosive, athletic player with great all-around ability every time.

ThePhantomCreep
04-19-2014, 03:14 PM

Do you think 1973 Kareem would do okay in this era?

West, aged 35, averaged 23/9 that year. You think long shorts, flashy jumbotron graphics, and techno music blaring the background is going to phase him?

fpliii
04-19-2014, 03:16 PM
Huh? Link to someone saying that specifically?

No, people just disagree that man has evolved in 50 years. After the league was integrated (by the mid-late 60s, I posted the racial breakdown recently in a thread), stars would be stars in any era.

Anyhow, I personally don't know who I'd take in this comparison.

derb2k2
04-19-2014, 03:18 PM
West, without a doubt in my mind. :coleman:

:biggums:

SamuraiSWISH
04-19-2014, 03:26 PM
Given how little he's played the past several season, lack of added dimension to his game to account for age. Laziness. Underwhelming playoffs in 2013. I think West is the 3rd best SG ever. Wade is firmly in 4th or 5th. He's dropping.

SexSymbol
04-19-2014, 04:02 PM
West much better player, desicevely
Wade had a better career with 3 rings doe

Dro
04-19-2014, 04:12 PM
People think Wade is better than Jerry West?

TheNaturalWR
04-19-2014, 04:17 PM
Given how little he's played the past several season, lack of added dimension to his game to account for age. Laziness. Underwhelming playoffs in 2013. I think West is the 3rd best SG ever. Wade is firmly in 4th or 5th. He's dropping.

Uh...having Wade 4th is okay but 5th is just retarded. MJ, Kobe, West, who the **** else is possibly better than Wade?

SamuraiSWISH
04-19-2014, 04:23 PM
Uh...having Wade 4th is okay but 5th is just retarded. MJ, Kobe, West, who the **** else is possibly better than Wade?
What is so retarded about the difference between 4th or 5th? The only one you could possibly make a case for being better than Wade would be Drexler. But I'd agree, that's a stretch.

I'm admittedly just very soured by Wade's 2013 playoffs, and the fact he was allowed to "rest" 30 games this season, and never adjusting for father time with new skills.

TheNaturalWR
04-19-2014, 04:29 PM
What is so retarded about the difference between 4th or 5th? The only one you could possibly make a case for being better than Wade would be Drexler. But I'd agree, that's a stretch.

I'm admittedly just very soured by Wade's 2013 playoffs, and the fact he was allowed to "rest" 30 games this season, and never adjusting for father time with new skills.

Trust me, Wade was and still is my favorite player even though I hate the player he has become. His downfall after possibly being the best player in 2011 is ****ing pathetic. But he's cemented in the top 4. No one else besides West, MJ, and Kobe have an argument over him. However, he has added skills as he's aged, his post game is one of the best in the league and his mid range game is definitely respectable.

The whole Wade stepping back so LeBron could "take over the reigns" pisses me off too. He straight up regressed. It was HIS team in 2011, I don't care what anyone says. He was the ALPHA in the Finals, why the hell would you "step back".

SexSymbol
04-19-2014, 04:30 PM
Trust me, Wade was and still is my favorite player even though I hate the player he has become. His downfall after possibly being the best player in 2011 is ****ing pathetic. But he's cemented in the top 4. No one else besides West, MJ, and Kobe have an argument over him. However, he has added skills as he's aged, his post game is one of the best in the league and his mid range game is definitely respectable.

The whole Wade stepping back so LeBron could "take over the reigns" pisses me off too. He straight up regressed. It was HIS team in 2011, I don't care what anyone says. He was the ALPHA in the Finals, why the hell would you "step back".

Definitely not, I can think of at least 20 names that come to mind, and at least 10 non-bigs.

TheNaturalWR
04-19-2014, 04:33 PM
Definitely not, I can think of at least 20 names that come to mind, and at least 10 non-bigs.

Name them.

SexSymbol
04-19-2014, 04:50 PM
Name them.
Kobe LeBron Durant Iguodala Klay Dirk Diaw George Melo
Wesley matthews and VC are great at it too.
Not naming a bazillion of big dudes because it wouldn't be fair, the likes of Duncan, Boozer, Jefferson, Gasol, another Gasol, etc.

PJR
04-19-2014, 04:58 PM
SexSymbol, please shut up. You have no clue what you're talking about.

Dwyane Wade is one of the most polished post up guards in the league. That is an undeniable FACT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLDkLJKauDU

Marlo_Stanfield
04-19-2014, 04:58 PM
Not naming a bazillion of big dudes because it wouldn't be fair, the likes of Duncan, Boozer, Jefferson, Gasol, another Gasol, etc.
stfu:coleman:

LongLiveTheKing
04-19-2014, 05:03 PM
D-Wade. West played in a weak era. Lost 8/9 finals.

jongib369
04-19-2014, 05:14 PM
Jerry West had the better career and was, compared to his contemporaries, a better player than Wade was compared to his.

However, as is the case in nearly all of these "old" vs "new" arguments, Wade is probably the better player.

In terms of the GOAT list, West easily beats Wade.

Who's in your top 15 for greatest of all time? Disregarding accolades or the criteria you use for a "goat list".

SexSymbol
04-19-2014, 05:34 PM
SexSymbol, please shut up. You have no clue what you're talking about.

Dwyane Wade is one of the most polished post up guards in the league. That is an undeniable FACT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLDkLJKauDU
Who of my listed players is better at post ups? Klay is the only debatable

TheNaturalWR
04-19-2014, 06:05 PM

You're ****ing retarded.

HiphopRelated
04-19-2014, 06:46 PM
hahahaha

La Frescobaldi
04-19-2014, 07:56 PM
West is the starter on my all-time team.

Kobe & Oscar are coming off the bench a long time before Wade. Oscar Robertson saw opportunities on the court that Dwyane Wade never dreamed of. Walt Frazier too. And not taking away from Wade who can get right in the paint and deny guys, but Oscar was a rebounding monster.
Those guys didn't have the natural athletic gifts that Wade had (well, Bryant did) but they were all better basketball players, and better guards.

Lotta guys have had a quicker first step but West was faster from the corner to the basket than anyone I've seen. Those stupid slow motion films the NBA used trying to emulate the NFL are a disgrace. Dude was a purple & golden blur I kid you not