PDA

View Full Version : ☆Official Jim Buss Thread: Jimmy will QUIT if team doesn't compete in 3-4 years

DKLaker
04-20-2014, 02:26 PM
We may not be stuck with him forever after all :cheers:
Maybe he'll decide 2 years is enough instead of 3-4 years.....lets pray!!!!

LINK (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24533828/lakers-owner-jim-buss-says-hell-step-down-if-lakers-dont-return-to-contender-status)

Lakers91
04-21-2014, 01:57 AM
We may not be stuck with him forever after all :cheers:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24533828/lakers-owner-jim-buss-says-hell-step-down-if-lakers-dont-return-to-contender-status

Maybe he'll decide 2 years is enough instead of 3-4 years.....lets pray!!!!

Fast-forward 3-4 years and if they haven't contended I don't see him stepping down for some reason, just sounds like something to be used as motivation for employees by an owner looking to put himself on the line but I wouldn't see him actually doing it, do you? Even if it was at a business meeting I just don't see that as a sincere offer, if he goes back on his word it's not like he can be removed unless the whole family or something consent to it so it's not like anyone can force him to leave if he decides to stay? I just see it as a spare of the moment comment that will be forgotten even if it was during a business meeting unless he signed a contract on it or signed an affidavit/written oath then I somehow don't see/trust it as being a sincere comment or a promise.

dd24
04-21-2014, 06:31 PM
I wish he would step down, but I don't see it happening.

DKLaker
04-21-2014, 10:24 PM
I wish he would step down, but I don't see it happening.

Not that I disagree with you......I don't BUT.......what happens if the Lakers suck the next few years, the fans stop going to games, the writers and fans call for his head and players don't want to play here, we can't get a quality coach....now all revenue streams die down except TV contract and Jimmy is a hated figure throughout LA. At that point it is possible he may actually step down.......ugh, dark, dark times!!!!

crisoner
04-22-2014, 01:53 AM
You guys really think Jim is the problem?

What about just some bad freaking breaks?

We lose CP3 to bball reasons...
Howard leaves...
The Mike D decision is what we can hang on him I guess...
And I think he overplayed Kobe which lead to his injury...

But really we had some bad luck.

dd24
04-22-2014, 02:19 AM
Not that I disagree with you......I don't BUT.......what happens if the Lakers suck the next few years, the fans stop going to games, the writers and fans call for his head and players don't want to play here, we can't get a quality coach....now all revenue streams die down except TV contract and Jimmy is a hated figure throughout LA. At that point it is possible he may actually step down.......ugh, dark, dark times!!!!

It could happen, but I don't think things are going to be quite that bad. I don't expect next season to be great either. It takes a few years to rebuild, but it can be turned around pretty quick.

dd24
04-22-2014, 02:20 AM

Howard leaves...

I would say Howard left because of 'antoni and Jim. I blame that on him too. The CP3 thing was just bad luck. The league really screwed over the Lakers with that one.

tamaraw08
04-22-2014, 10:13 AM

Howard leaves...

I was thinking of the same things. Not saying Jim is a great executive but it seemed like he made more than 10 major mistakes that caused ALL THESE.:eek:
Yes, he picked 2 bad coaches but after that?
Got rid of not ONE but TWO damaged players in Odom and Bynum.
Almost had CP3...
Yes, I heard he let TWO really good conditioning coaches/trainers but what else?:confusedshrug:

DKLaker
04-24-2014, 06:46 PM

Howard leaves...

Sure some bad luck, no doubt about it.......but Jimmy is a complete dumbass, I warned you guys years in advance that we would be terrible if he took control.
If any one else was in charge.....would they blow the Phil Jackson layup?
Would anyone else interview the terrible coaches that he did.....don't forget that he interviewed Mike Dunleavy twice:banghead: Maybe he thinks a guy named Mike should always coach the team??? :banghead:
He is a dunce, and don't expect a dunce to do smart things or be successful, it's just not going to happen.

EllEffEll
04-26-2014, 03:13 AM

I believe he is the major cause, yes I do.

The Lakers have had some bad breaks, but they have also made some piss poor decisions.

The Lakers were hosed by both the new CBA and the CP3 situation. That, I will grant you.

Howard leaves...

Howard said that if Phil was coaching here instead of D'Antoni, he would have stayed.

Damn right we can hang that on him. All on him. Nobody else.

I think Kobe was at least as much to blame for that as anybody.

Some of that 'bad luck' was brought about by Jim Buss' decisions, especially the one to hire anybody-but-Phil. Not that I could guarantee a championship run if Phil was here, but I think some things would be different if he was here.

#1) Phil is the coach instead of D'Antoni. I also would envision PJ putting together a succession plan to transition to a younger coach with the winning system continuing to be the cornerstone of the team's identity.

#2) Howard stays. DH is not perfect, but he's worlds better than Chris Kaman and Robert Sacre.

#3) If PJ and Howard are here, even if the Lakers had a rough season, they would still be a free agent destination rather than a second-rate punchline to be avoided.

#4) Pau Gasol is utilized in a way that maximizes his potential. Probably wants to stay much more than he does now.

Is Phil perfect? Certainly not. But there would be much more hope than there currently is. I believe the Laker's basketball problems can be solved. I don't believe the current people in charge of the Lakers can solve those problems.

I would like to see that guarantee on paper, and signed. Otherwise, it's just smoke and hot air.

GimmeThat
04-26-2014, 04:04 AM
I don't know why Phil left for the Knicks besides the fact he played there before
I think it would be tough to say that Health wasn't a factor in not keeping Phil

What happens with the Knicks, in terms of Phil's conflict with Dolan, as well as who he hires as the GM is still yet to be seen.

We can't nessecarily say it's going to be guarnteed success over there

Would it have helped?

I think we go back to Phil's health concern, but I guess the man is just truly passionate about basketball, and just got that itch that needs to be scratched.

That Kobe contract, is going to reflect what type of fans Lakers fans are.

EllEffEll
04-29-2014, 02:45 AM
I have made statements on ISH that basically (or outright) declared that Jim Buss was the 2nd best owner of an NBA franchise located in Los Angeles, and that Donald Sterling was a better owner. I was wrong about that.

As much as I abhor what Jim Buss is doing, he has never shown himself to be such a completely despicable chunk of fecal matter wrapped in human skin as Donald Sterling has revealed himself to be.

I will not be spending one thin dime to support the franchise until he no longer the owner of the team.

lakerfreak
04-29-2014, 07:53 PM
Hey guys! Been a while. Decided to read in because all I hear now is the sterling situation.

Jimmy Buss, hmm. He's much of a gambler as his father was (R.I.P.) and a lot of his stubbornness is what can kind of tick us off. For example, why didn't D'Antoni get fired after nearly the entire fan base pretty much revolt? I guess the difference we all seem to overlook is that some gambles end up being very lucky jackpots.

Its what the great Jerry had done when he was a young and energetic owner. He gambled, and it paid off most of the time. Jerry's accomplishments were more surrounded by the amount he had changed the game. Halftime shows, cheerleaders, and creating an environment for the largest basketball fan base that made it really fun to attend laker games. It'll be damn near impossible to ever see any new innovation.

What I like about Jim is one thing though, the man seems to have some big balls of steel. He makes the really tough decision. He makes the decision that most people wouldn't dare to make and he'll take the hate for it. Additionally, he believes in having a superstar as much as his father did.

On the other hand I think 3-4 years is good enough to prove himself. Miss you guys!

DKLaker
04-30-2014, 11:23 PM
Hey guys! Been a while. Decided to read in because all I hear now is the sterling situation.

Jimmy Buss, hmm. He's much of a gambler as his father was (R.I.P.) and a lot of his stubbornness is what can kind of tick us off. For example, why didn't D'Antoni get fired after nearly the entire fan base pretty much revolt? I guess the difference we all seem to overlook is that some gambles end up being very lucky jackpots.

Its what the great Jerry had done when he was a young and energetic owner. He gambled, and it paid off most of the time. Jerry's accomplishments were more surrounded by the amount he had changed the game. Halftime shows, cheerleaders, and creating an environment for the largest basketball fan base that made it really fun to attend laker games. It'll be damn near impossible to ever see any new innovation.

What I like about Jim is one thing though, the man seems to have some big balls of steel. He makes the really tough decision. He makes the decision that most people wouldn't dare to make and he'll take the hate for it. Additionally, he believes in having a superstar as much as his father did.

On the other hand I think 3-4 years is good enough to prove himself. Miss you guys!

Welcome Back!!!!

Uh.....you are being WAY too kind to the dummy......you know, someone could say an insane person makes the tough decisions that no one else would....right? Dumb people make dumb decisions that smart people wouldn't make.......it's a simple as that. I think 99.9% of Lakers fans would have taken Phil over 'Antoni....but hey, stupid is as stupid does. I'm not going to sugar coat a thing because he's not done screwing up yet.

lakerfreak
05-01-2014, 12:16 AM
Welcome Back!!!!

Uh.....you are being WAY too kind to the dummy......you know, someone could say an insane person makes the tough decisions that no one else would....right? Dumb people make dumb decisions that smart people wouldn't make.......it's a simple as that. I think 99.9% of Lakers fans would have taken Phil over 'Antoni....but hey, stupid is as stupid does. I'm not going to sugar coat a thing because he's not done screwing up yet.

Thank you sir!

Well here is his chance....He's got the chance to hire a good coach. Everyone is talking about Byron Scott but I don't like that hire. Whats your take on that?

dd24
05-01-2014, 12:21 AM
I've heard the Byron Scott things too. I'm not sure how I feel about it exactly. I'm not necessarily opposed to it. He's actually done some good things. He's better than the last two hires. I'm not sure that it's quite enough though.

DKLaker
05-01-2014, 12:23 AM
Thank you sir!

Well here is his chance....He's got the chance to hire a good coach. Everyone is talking about Byron Scott but I don't like that hire. Whats your take on that?

Jimmy will probably hire another guy named Mike......Dunleavy, Woodson.
He has no clue, none whatsoever. Jimmy thinks any idiot could coach just like he thinks any idiot can be a scout.......and this whole entire thing has been about him trying to prove his point, NOT trying to do the right smart things to win.
He is not capable of doing the right thing, he has almost as little basketball intelligence as Sterling.....don't expect brilliance unless he let's Jeanie run the team.

I wish he would just sell the team to Magic :rockon:

Ooops, I forgot to discuss Byron Scott.......not in my top 5 of available coaches. I would only give him a 50-50 chance of being successful and honestly can't see him winning a title. YES he would be an improvement but not as much as we need.

$LakerGold
05-01-2014, 12:29 AM
Welcome back Lakerfreak!

Lakers91
05-01-2014, 01:14 AM
Thank you sir!

Who is your ideal coach? Excluding Phil Jackson now anyway haha

$LakerGold
05-01-2014, 01:30 AM
Dreaming: Greg Pop
Realistically: Jeff Van Gundy

I've always liked JVG growing up. Seeing him coach the Knicks & the Rockets. I really would love & appreciate it if he won a ring before he officially retires. He can't be too bad, he's Jeff Van Gundy. I'm pretty sure he'll get it together.

Based on reviews, I wouldn't mind if they hire Lionel Hollins either.

Lakers91
05-01-2014, 02:16 AM
Dreaming: Greg Pop
Realistically: Jeff Van Gundy

I've always liked JVG growing up. Seeing him coach the Knicks & the Rockets. I really would love & appreciate it if he won a ring before he officially retires. He can't be too bad, he's Jeff Van Gundy. I'm pretty sure he'll get it together.

Based on reviews, I wouldn't mind if they hire Lionel Hollins either.

I'd probably agree with that, albeit my dream has always been and will continue to be Sloan because I'm such a fan of his coaching and the only thing he has missing on his resume that makes people question how great of a coach he was is a championship ring and I want to see him get that so he can finally by consensus take his place where he deserves among the greatest coaches of all time (aware he doesn't have a ring doesn't bother me to say with or without one I consider Sloan to be one of the greatest coaches of all time even though I don't exactly have a list). I would love Lionel Hollins because of his discipline almost an authoritarian/disciplinarian dictator haha I think any draftee if they had problems (like Randolph) they would certainly sharpen up in all likelihood with him coaching he could be considered a bit of a boring coach but he's an old school coach so I'd like him, I think JVG is all but done with coaching albeit he'd probably be getting tired of commentating by now I hope, he's a good coach and I think it's almost wasting to have such coaching talents commentating but I think the window or door for him to return (if he even wants to) is closing I mean once you stop coaching for what is getting closer to a decade each year there is a point in my opinion where you just don't want to go back and also you may not be able to re-adjust when you do I think he's more just in the no wanting to come back camp at this rate, but who knows if the Lakers offer him a good deal with the biggest team in the NBA and say we are giving you the power to reshape the team and rebuild here's the keys now drive I think he'd at the very least be tempted.

lakerfreak
05-01-2014, 05:56 PM
Lakers reportedly talking to Tom T. from the bulls and Kevin Ollie from UConn.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10867253/los-angeles-lakers-plan-court-kevin-ollie-uconn-huskies-john-calipari-kentucky-wildcats

lakerfreak
05-01-2014, 05:57 PM

I really like the idea of Lionel Hollins still. He took an underrated memphis team and had turned them into a "dark horse" contender for the championship.

dd24
05-01-2014, 07:09 PM
Lakers reportedly talking to Tom T. from the bulls and Kevin Ollie from UConn.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10867253/los-angeles-lakers-plan-court-kevin-ollie-uconn-huskies-john-calipari-kentucky-wildcats

Bulls said Thibedeaux is under contract and there's no way they'll let him talk to the Lakers.

DKLaker
05-01-2014, 08:36 PM
I really like the idea of Lionel Hollins still. He took an underrated memphis team and had turned them into a "dark horse" contender for the championship.

I'm on board with this too :cheers:

Lakers91
05-01-2014, 10:42 PM

:cheers: Totally agreed, he is one of my preferred choices he's the top person I'd like partly because I think his discipline especially could help put in some continuity and discipline for whoever the draft pick is and a guy who does value defense, but I also wouldn't be unhappy with JVG, I'd love Thibodeau if he was going to leave Chicago he can tend to ride stars too much on minutes sometimes but overall as a coach I think he's very good/I like the Lakers at least trying to tempt him, if they get Melo I think he definitely stays with the Bulls but he's always had a strained relationship even when they were going well there were rumours of the Bulls still considering sacking him he's always seemed to have difficulties with the owners/front office of the Bulls so maybe he'd like a fresh rebuild who knows but I'd certainly welcome a coach like him with open arms :oldlol:

$LakerGold
05-20-2014, 01:14 AM
Will anyone help me with the "Jimmy Buss transactions/movement since day 1" or whatever the hell you call it?

Hired Mike Brown
Signed Steve Nash
Signed Dwight
Fired Mike Brown
Hired Mike D'Antoni (Best move ever)

Didn't he also fire some of Dr. Buss's long time staff? Help me, please. :(

magicmanfan
05-22-2014, 10:43 AM
I have also questioned a lot of Jim Buss's moves.....

Giving KB $24 mil per was way too much... He doesn't need the money
and taking a bit less would help the team immensely....

Not listening to Jeannie and giving PJax a major role with the team
was another big mistake.....

But now that the Kevin Love sweepstakes are on, not having any
players on the roster to include in a trade is another huge mistake.

:facepalm

I think he's gone in a few years...

magic chiongson
06-10-2014, 04:34 PM
lakers will contend soon, we always do. hopefully in less than 3 years. 2016!

LA Lakers
06-28-2014, 07:50 AM
David Stern screwed the franchise for potentially the decade. And he deprived basketball fans of the greatest back court in NBA history. But Jim Buss screwed up by not re hiring Phil. Maybe he should cash in on his fathers legacy while he still can. I think Byron Scott is a solid choice. He wont ask Kobe to carry the burden of doing everything at this stage of his career. But at this point, with how crazy the West is, I think any coach is going to have a tough time with the Lakers.

lakerfreak
06-28-2014, 03:55 PM
Will anyone help me with the "Jimmy Buss transactions/movement since day 1" or whatever the hell you call it?

Hired Mike Brown
Signed Steve Nash
Signed Dwight
Fired Mike Brown
Hired Mike D'Antoni (Best move ever)

Didn't he also fire some of Dr. Buss's long time staff? Help me, please. :(

After hiring Scott or Hollins, he can easily erase these memories, especially if the lakers start winning. Winning cures all right?

mariodeathgrip
06-29-2014, 12:27 AM

My pipe dream is still, Lakers offering Pat Riley, or even Coach K, Byron Scott is my Last Choice. If we can't get a real coach. I preffer Magic Johson over Scott..lol he never had a chance with the team he had...lol sorry.

mariodeathgrip
06-29-2014, 12:34 AM
Oh, and:facepalm at those talking crap about Jimmy. Freaking idiot's. lol, everyone has rights to their opinion, i guess...lol

dd24
06-29-2014, 02:58 AM
My pipe dream is still, Lakers offering Pat Riley, or even Coach K, Byron Scott is my Last Choice. If we can't get a real coach. I preffer Magic Johson over Scott..lol he never had a chance with the team he had...lol sorry.

Coach K has said a million times he really doesn't want to go to the NBA. It's not even about money to him. The guy really loves his job at Duke. I've given up on him ever going to the NBA. He really doesn't need to. He's a hall of fame coach without it.

lakerfreak
06-29-2014, 01:45 PM
Coach K has said a million times he really doesn't want to go to the NBA. It's not even about money to him. The guy really loves his job at Duke. I've given up on him ever going to the NBA. He really doesn't need to. He's a hall of fame coach without it.

Yeah I agree, it was definitely a nice entertaining thought. But that ship has now sailed several times lol.

Now that we have Julius Randle, I think our guy should be Lionell Hollins and not Byron Scott, but I have a feeling it will be the latter. Anyways, our top candidates for coach, all single handedly surpass any of our past two coaches' accomplishments (or lack thereof)

dd24
06-29-2014, 02:52 PM
Yeah I agree, it was definitely a nice entertaining thought. But that ship has now sailed several times lol.

Now that we have Julius Randle, I think our guy should be Lionell Hollins and not Byron Scott, but I have a feeling it will be the latter. Anyways, our top candidates for coach, all single handedly surpass any of our past two coaches' accomplishments (or lack thereof)

Hollins would make a ton of sense. Think about this. We have Randle who everyone thinks is just like Zach Randolph. If we resign Gasol, he's obviously the brother of Marc. It would be a very similar situation except the Lakers actually have a guy in the backcourt in Kobe who can score.

lakerfreak
06-29-2014, 03:31 PM
Hollins would make a ton of sense. Think about this. We have Randle who everyone thinks is just like Zach Randolph. If we resign Gasol, he's obviously the brother of Marc. It would be a very similar situation except the Lakers actually have a guy in the backcourt in Kobe who can score.

150% Onboard with this idea my friend. It would do my heart good.

Heavy emphasis on defense, with 3 main guys setting things up for all the other role players. I love it. I hope that management takes these things into consideration as they build this new team.

Great thing about it too is Kobe will still have much freedom with how he decides to make decisions with the ball. Look at the success that Conley had with Hollins.

Lakers91
06-30-2014, 04:11 AM
150% Onboard with this idea my friend. It would do my heart good.

Heavy emphasis on defense, with 3 main guys setting things up for all the other role players. I love it. I hope that management takes these things into consideration as they build this new team.

Great thing about it too is Kobe will still have much freedom with how he decides to make decisions with the ball. Look at the success that Conley had with Hollins.

Haha in response to the first paragraph I think I agree it would do my sanity a lot of good :oldlol:

I haven't really heard too many reports actually about Hollins and the LA job, he's been mentioned a few times as being a candidate, but nothing really on "favourite" or anything like that not much at all in regards to favourites, there was one that Gentry was in consideration then he signed as associate HC at the Warriors then Rambis was and I think he's gone to the Knicks now (not sure if that's official or just likely), then there was one article that said Byron Scott was favourite etc. Out of any of the 3 that there were reports of (Hollins; Scott and Dunleavey Sr) for the position I'd have Hollins comfortably out in front he's been my preferred option all along but also I wouldn't have been bothered if it was a young coach with Hollins as the senior assistant but that didn't really happen.

I do hope it happens but I'm skeptical if it will :oldlol:

GimmeThat
06-30-2014, 10:51 AM
I think Hollins would be a decent/great hire.

I feel that he is a coach who utilizes veterans well, as well as having a good emphasis on players developement.

of course getting swept by the Spurs in 12-13 doesn't look great when the Spurs eventually lost to the Heat.

I favor him over Thibs would mainly be because he's been with the WCF and he would be more familiar with the playoffs.