PDA

View Full Version : is the nba becoming unwatchable for the true fan?

outbreak
04-20-2014, 05:41 PM
Watching okc yesterday and Miami today and I just have to wonder if the league continues the way it is going with the officiating is it becoming an unmatchable joke? In the big game match ups in finding my enjoyment ruined by trying to justify late whistle bail out calls on minimal or no contact only when players miss wild shots. Every season it seems to be getting worse and worse and more and more frustrating to watch. In the past stars got star calls but in my opinion it wasn't this bad and was usually more of a benefit of the doubt or protect the player type call rather than the bail outs in this day and age where players don't even have to be legit going for the basket to get to the line. The nba has already become a joke to non fans with all the flopping and the attitude and refing is making the sport harder and harder to find enjoyment. Anyone else feeling this? I want to watch good basketball not wild drives hoping for a bail out call and bs ruke bending Like the current travel calls that get let go unless it suits the refs or is a stupid point of emphasis on the day. What other sport needs pounts of emphasis to enforce its core rules

RagaZ
04-20-2014, 05:42 PM
Eastern Conference is unwatchable for sure.

STATUTORY
04-20-2014, 05:43 PM
it's unwatchable if your not stanning for the right players

secund2nun
04-20-2014, 05:45 PM
Watching okc yesterday and Miami today and I just have to wonder if the league continues the way it is going with the officiating is it becoming an unmatchable joke? In the big game match ups in finding my enjoyment ruined by trying to justify late whistle bail out calls on minimal or no contact only when players miss wild shots. Every season it seems to be getting worse and worse and more and more frustrating to watch. In the past stars got star calls but in my opinion it wasn't this bad and was usually more of a benefit of the doubt or protect the player type call rather than the bail outs in this day and age where players don't even have to be legit going for the basket to get to the line. The nba has already become a joke to non fans with all the flopping and the attitude and refing is making the sport harder and harder to find enjoyment. Anyone else feeling this? I want to watch good basketball not wild drives hoping for a bail out call and bs ruke bending Like the current travel calls that get let go unless it suits the refs or is a stupid point of emphasis on the day. What other sport needs pounts of emphasis to enforce its core rules

It's no different than before. MJ was the most ref protected player of all time. His famous shot against Utah in the finals was a no call push off yet no one even talks about the no call.

Miami got no calls in the 2013 ECF and finals.

sammichoffate
04-20-2014, 05:45 PM
Eastern Conference is an embarrassment right now. Only teams I respect in the West playoffs are Spurs, Mavs, Blazers, GS, and Memphis. Can't stand watching OKC, Houston, or the Clippers :facepalm

Dresta
04-20-2014, 05:47 PM
Stop watching it then and stop being such an insufferable little bitch. Fans complain about officiating in every ****ing sport, and it is just endless tedium. Grow up.

UK2K
04-20-2014, 05:52 PM
I remember a play from the OKC game last night, when Randolph got absolutely mugged under the rim on a shot, missed it, OKC got the ball in transition, and Gasol fouled Durant on a lay up in an attempt to get out of the way.

The best part is, I knew Durant would get a foul call before he even crossed the 3pt line.

STATUTORY
04-20-2014, 05:53 PM
I remember a play from the OKC game last night, when Randolph got absolutely mugged under the rim on a shot, missed it, OKC got the ball in transition, and Gasol fouled Durant on a lay up in an attempt to get out of the way.

The best part is, I knew Durant would get a foul call before he even crossed the 3pt line.
amazing time to be a durant stan :applause: :applause:

Random_Guy
04-20-2014, 05:55 PM
since im not a fan of any time, i dont really care tbh. just enjoy the games

UK2K
It's no different than before. MJ was the most ref protected player of all time. His famous shot against Utah in the finals was a no call push off yet no one even talks about the no call.

MJ only averaged more than 8.5 FT's ONCE in his last 8 seasons with the bulls, despite living in the paint, taking an average of 1.7 3pt attempts per game.

Thats not being protected.

Akrazotile
Stop watching it then and stop being such an insufferable little bitch. Fans complain about officiating in every ****ing sport, and it is just endless tedium. Grow up.

Fans complain about the quality of officiating in every sport. Thats a different issue.

The NBA has a problem with the QUANTITY of officiating. The amount of phantom calls and anticipation whistles is becoming insufferable. I agree 1000% with OP. It's ruining the watchability of games. Every drive to the basket is a foul. Every putback underneath the basket is a foul. The most insignificant contact on the perimeter is a foul. It's terrible. The league has got to look at this.

outbreak
I'm not trying to hate on any team here either. Just frustrated with how heavily the entertainment factor outweights competetion. It used to shit me how dwight would be allowed to camp in the paint in Orlando and not get called for it. Ive posted that before back then and it can happen to any team that starts getting hyped up and just made me want to have a bit of a rant

Most other sports have bad calls but they don't consistently favor certain teams and they don't let basic fundamental rules be ignored for entertainmens sake. Anyone notice the telecasts show less and less replays on alot of the iffy calls these days in an age where every other sport is implememtaing tech to ensure more correct calls?

buddha
04-20-2014, 05:56 PM
it's been like this since the 80's. you're either an idiot or 20 years old for just now noticing.

diamenz
04-20-2014, 05:57 PM

lol... it's talked about in pretty much every youtube video of the shot. what ref in their right mind would call that shit anyway? in mj's last finals after he just made a layup and stole the ball from malone, then before he seals his legacy with a fluid jumper, in the final seconds they're gonna call a little push?

Heavincent
04-20-2014, 05:59 PM
The game is officiated WAY too tightly these days. Refs need to just let shit go.

outbreak
04-20-2014, 06:00 PM
it's been like this since the 80's. you're either an idiot or 20 years old for just now noticing.
Its never been this bad though. I don't recall players trying to exploit it this much either

Marchesk
04-20-2014, 06:01 PM
lol... it's talked about in pretty much every youtube video of the shot. what ref in their right mind would call that shit anyway? in mj's last finals after he just made a layup and stole the ball from malone, then before he seals his legacy with a fluid jumper, in the final seconds they're gonna call a little push?

But they should have. And they should have called Reggie Miller's blatant push off of Jordan in the ECF to extend the series. And they should have called Reggie Miller for pushing over a Knick player to steal an inbound pass when he hit those 3 threes in the last few seconds to steal a win. Although, that was hilarious. But wrong. And they should call walks and carrying.

outbreak
04-20-2014, 06:04 PM
But they should have. And they should have called Reggie Miller's blatant push off of Jordan in the ECF to extend the series. And they should have called Reggie Miller for pushing over a Knick player to steal an inbound pass when he hit those 3 threes in the last few seconds to steal a win. Although, that was hilarious. But wrong. And they should call walks and carrying.
Was more free flowing back then, its hard to judge nba calls off one clip because a big part isconsistentncy and if refs and letting the game flow both teams need to benefit. My big issue now is that it will be called tight as a clenched asshole for one team while the other end they call it loose and let it play out

Akrazotile
04-20-2014, 06:12 PM
I'm not trying to hate on any team here either. Just frustrated with how heavily the entertainment factor outweights competetion. It used to shit me how dwight would be allowed to camp in the paint in Orlando and not get called for it. Ive posted that before back then and it can happen to any team that starts getting hyped up and just made me want to have a bit of a rant

Most other sports have bad calls but they don't consistently favor certain teams and they don't let basic fundamental rules be ignored for entertainmens sake. Anyone notice the telecasts show less and less replays on alot of the iffy calls these days in an age where every other sport is implememtaing tech to ensure more correct calls?

Its not just certain teams and players. The entire game is being over-officiated.

Quizno
04-20-2014, 06:15 PM
i don't think the heat-bobcats game was THAT bad (there were some pretty shitty calls but i've seen worse) but NBA officiating really bugs me a lot. it's much worse than any other sport. there's no other sport where referees are so involved in the outcome of the game. they have more of an effect on the game than most players based on the kinds of calls they make and when they make them

Akrazotile
My big issue now is that it will be called tight as a clenched asshole for one team while the other end they call it loose and let it play out

You could make a 30 minute montage of every single star player in the league complaining to refs about calls he didnt get.

The problem isnt favoritism, its flat out incompetence.

Rose'sACL
Was more free flowing back then, its hard to judge nba calls off one clip because a big part isconsistentncy and if refs and letting the game flow both teams need to benefit. My big issue now is that it will be called tight as a clenched asshole for one team while the other end they call it loose and let it play out
This. i really agree with a true fan like you. warriors should get free throws only for Lee. no free throws for any one who shoots jumpers so a true fan like you can start enjoying the game like you did in the 80s/90s when there was no internet so you can stop watching a blowout and watch/do something more enjoyable.