PDA

View Full Version : Let's be honest, Westbrook takes some atrocious shots

LoneyROY7
04-22-2014, 01:36 AM
I don't think there's another top player that takes more ill-advised jumpers than Russ. Especially late in the game.

Love the guy's intensity and swagger, but man, his shot selection is some of the worst I've seen.

J Shuttlesworth
04-22-2014, 01:37 AM
If Durant is smart, he will get away from Westbrook and go to a team w/ a legit PG

Smook A.
04-22-2014, 01:38 AM
Yup, we know.

OKC fans know that too. I've seen people call him all kiiiinds of names on Thunder's forum

"Chuckbrook"
"Ninja turtle lookin ass"

tgan3
04-22-2014, 01:42 AM
I don't think there's another top player that takes more ill-advised jumpers than Russ. Especially late in the game.

Love the guy's intensity and swagger, but man, his shot selection is some of the worst I've seen.

Its because he has the athleticism to try take this kind of shots, but seriously this is not high school/college, he might get by doing that in lower tier competitions but not the NBA.

aburre21
04-22-2014, 01:44 AM
as usual, Westbrook is the scapegoat for Durant's failures. Durant shot multiple air balls, missed a clutch free throw, etc. and nobody says anything. This dude is impervious to criticism.

Milbuck
04-22-2014, 01:45 AM
as usual, Westbrook is the scapegoat for Durant's failures. Durant shot multiple air balls, missed a clutch free throw, etc. and nobody says anything. This dude is impervious to criticism.
:kobe:

LoneyROY7
04-22-2014, 01:46 AM

:biggums:

Durant sucked too.

FUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKK KEEVVVIINNNN DURRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAANNNTTTTTT!

You happy?

:lol

Angel Face
04-22-2014, 01:49 AM
Everyone knows. He's entertaining, but he's chucking up too many dumb shots.

Graviton
04-22-2014, 01:50 AM
Westbrook had like 3-4 bailout bricks after Kevin couldn't get Allen's dick out of his ass and free himself. He does shoot some retarded shots, but you need to analyze why exactly. Sometimes everyone is scared to shoot and plays hot potato with the ball and it ends up with him with seconds left. Sometimes Durant's skinnyass can't get open for a pass, sometimes Westbrick takes over Russel's body for a couple possessions. :lol

GOATbrookisGAWD
04-22-2014, 01:51 AM
No shit OP..

Smoke117
I'm pretty sure most of us were "honest" about this years ago before you had to let us know.

Brokenbeat

Have you ever been on the internet?

LoneyROY7
04-22-2014, 01:55 AM
Westbrook had like 3-4 bailout bricks after Kevin couldn't get Allen's dick out of his ass and free himself. He does shoot some retarded shots, but you need to analyze why exactly. Sometimes everyone is scared to shoot and plays hot potato with the ball and it ends up with him with seconds left. Sometimes Durant's skinnyass can't get open for a pass, sometimes Westbrick takes over Russel's body for a couple possessions. :lol

I couldn't disagree with this more. You can be the man and make a big play without taking a hero jumper.

There are PLENTY of times when Westbrook could attack his man off the dribble, but instead he settles for a contested three or long two. And I'm talking early in the shot clock too.

Graviton
04-22-2014, 02:00 AM
I couldn't disagree with this more. You can be the man and make a big play without taking a hero jumper.

There are PLENTY of times when Westbrook could attack his man off the dribble, but instead he settles for a contested three or long two. And I'm talking early in the shot clock too.
Yea I know, I think he tries to make them respect the jumper so they don't swarm the paint. He can't just drive 24/7, he needs to set up the threat of a pull up so he can get in the paint easier.

Chuckbrook
04-22-2014, 02:00 AM
Westbrook doesn't give fvck. Some of it has to do with KD not getting open in time and not having a secondary option. Some of it has to do with the coach not drawing up a play with a secondary option. Some of it has to do with not having another player on the court that can do anything if the ball came to them. And some of it has to do with Westbrook wanting to be the HERO.

Westbrook doesn't give a fvck and the coaching staff doesn't give a fvck because they let him do whatever the fvck he wants to out there.

-Brook

FPJ
04-22-2014, 02:02 AM
Have you ever been on the internet?

He's probably referring to the OKC fans/ex Kobe stans.

Graviton
04-22-2014, 02:02 AM
He isn't Rose, he can't drive and make an acrobatic layup against 4 people in the paint. He needs to either get a deadly floater or improve his mid range jumper. Attacking the paint alone isn't gonna cut it in the playoffs.

Keno
04-22-2014, 02:06 AM
as kevin durant would say "westbrook is the point guard, anything he does, i'm fine with it"

Chuckbrook
04-22-2014, 02:26 AM
as kevin durant would say "westbrook is the point guard, anything he does, i'm fine with it"
What a fvcking bitch ass ninja :facepalm

What type of servant shit is that? :facepalm

-Brook

ihoopallday
04-22-2014, 02:30 AM
Well he doesn't really get calls when he attacks the paint. Same with Melo and LeBron. Get so disrespected by the refs. Then we have Durant who you can barely breathe on. Can't blame Westbrook for shooting jumpers.

diamenz
04-22-2014, 03:51 AM
okc will never win a title with him playing the way he does.

sportjames23
04-22-2014, 03:55 AM
If Durant is smart, he will get away from Westbrook and go to a team w/ a legit PG

Chicago it is, then. :rockon:

miggyme1
04-22-2014, 04:14 AM
Chicago it is, then. :rockon:

dj augustin?

JT123
04-22-2014, 04:37 AM
Maybe if Durant would stop getting shut down by Tony Allen Westbrook wouldn't have to force so many shots. KD is shooting 36 percent in this series when being guarded by Allen. :oldlol: I wouldn't pass him the ball either.

AintNoSunshine
04-22-2014, 05:06 AM
Westbrook bailed the Grizz out everytime down the stretch with his retarded shot selection, but with the Servant hiding behind the scene what can he do right?

qrich
04-22-2014, 05:13 AM

Sam Cassellitis. Cept Sammy was a master at that type of shot

Deuce Bigalow
04-22-2014, 05:13 AM
Dat dunk doe

MJ(Mean John)
04-22-2014, 05:20 AM
Maybe if Durant would stop getting shut down by Tony Allen Westbrook wouldn't have to force so many shots. KD is shooting 36 percent in this series when being guarded by Allen. :oldlol: I wouldn't pass him the ball either.

And Westbrook is shooting 39% against everyone in the series. What's your point?

Man, this guy Westbrook needs to chill with taking some stupid ass shots. It looks like he can't control his emotions and he's one of those f.aggots on the court who can't stand losing. You know, the little Bitch who throws fits when things don't go his way, and you know he's been like that since he was a little punk as 8 year old.

Rubio2Gasol
04-22-2014, 05:27 AM
That's because he spends the first 20 seconds of the possession trying to get it into Durant. It's stupid really. If Durant want every shot at least be good at collecting. 6'11 with the longest wingspan in the league and he still gets stipped all the time on the block.

TheReal Kendall
04-22-2014, 05:33 AM
I would love to see the plays Brooks draw up. I t seems like there's only 2 options to them. Either give it to KD if he get free or Westbrook just do whatever.

I know in High School we had multiple options and someone would always be open when we ran plays, its hard to believe that in the NBA level that coaches can't come up with plays with more than 1 options.

I just can't see Brooks being this bad so I gotta blame the PG which is Westbrook.

IMO if they don't win a ring this year they need to trade Westbrook(that's if they can, don't know the situation in OKC) for more stars/role players

DMAVS41
04-22-2014, 05:35 AM
I would love to see the plays Brooks draw up. I t seems like there's only 2 options to them. Either give it to KD if he get free or Westbrook just do whatever.

I know in High School we had multiple options and someone would always be open when we ran plays, its hard to believe that in the NBA level that coaches can't come up with plays with more than 1 options.

I just can't see Brooks being this bad so I gotta blame the PG which is Westbrook.

IMO if they don't win a ring this year they need to trade Westbrook(that's if they can, don't know the situation in OKC) for more stars/role players

I don't like Brooks either, but who else are you featuring on offense?

Ibaka can't score by himself. They run action for Butler and Jackson already. Perkins can't do shit. Thabo can't do shit.

I'd like to know what action you are running for players other than Durant or WB?

Rubio2Gasol
04-22-2014, 05:37 AM

Some variation of stagger screen for Durant, only play he knows. If it don't work (most times it won't) then some variation of Durant iso. Westbrook only ends up the ball if things go horribly, horribly wrong/ Durant chooses to pass it to him.

Marlo_Stanfield
04-22-2014, 05:43 AM
Chuckbrook is one of the most amazing and most retarded players in the league.
he is easily a top 5 talent but he is in his own way. you see him attack the rim very efficently and throw down some huge dunks and say:" damn, this athletecism is not human". its like watching a Marvel character sometimes. then he blows relatively easy layups at least 3-4 times a game.
Sometimes you see him get open very smart and DRAIN midrange Jumper after midrange jumper. when he does it his shot looks absolutely fantastic and you ask yourself:" how do you guard this guy?":biggums: :biggums:
the he bricks 3-4 in a row or settles for contested 20 footers or sometimes shits a brick from 30 feet:biggums:
he has all what it takes to be the best PG in the league and maybe best attacking PG ever but he seems to rarely get it all together.
his passing btw is more than okay.
i also agree that he needs to find Durant more. but sometimes, like yesterday, Durant got pushed out of position and was denied the ball many times. westbrook doesnt have the brain to get him free in those situations.
All in all he is 75% amazing and 25 % dumb.
its also on Durant as the best player on his team to keep Alphabrook in check:coleman:

TheReal Kendall
04-22-2014, 05:44 AM
I don't like Brooks either, but who else are you featuring on offense?

Ibaka can't score by himself. They run action for Butler and Jackson already. Perkins can't do shit. Thabo can't do shit.

I'd like to know what action you are running for players other than Durant or WB?

I mean that's true they only have like 2 legit options but if I was the coach I would just send screen after screen until they get free or until some like Lamb, Ibaka, or Butler have an opening.

I just feel like they can't win just by relying on WB and KD, especially with WB taking wild shots at times but it seems like the plays are designed for WB to try an "get his" or create something when KD isn't open.

Thunder really need a legit 3rd option that can create for himself. Someone like Jamaal Crawford would be great for them.

Marlo_Stanfield
04-22-2014, 05:49 AM
I mean that's true they only have like 2 legit options but if I was the coach I would just send screen after screen until they get free or until some like Lamb, Ibaka, or Butler have an opening.

I just feel like they can't win just by relying on WB and KD, especially with WB taking wild shots at times but it seems like the plays are designed for WB to try an "get his" or create something when KD isn't open.

Thunder really need a legit 3rd option that can create for himself. Someone like Jamaal Crawford would be great for them.
Lamb is that guy but he rots on the bench. Reggie Jackson isnt too bad either. he had some games were he looked just as good as chuckbrook

DMAVS41
04-22-2014, 05:50 AM

Yea, but do you want Butler taking more than 6 to 8 shots a game?

They already run action for Butler, Jackson, and Ibaka. Hell, they have Fisher out there getting looks.

It's not like WB shoots 28 times a game normally...but what is he supposed to do in game like tonight? Durant was struggling to get open against Allen...and Butler and Reggie looked like shit out there tonight.

I'm all for WB not taking this many shots, but I just don't even want to think about what the offense would look like with Allen guarding Durant and WB trying to get the "others" more shots.

The Grizzlies are good and they play good defense.

My criticism for WB is not really the amount of shots, but the amount of threes...he should only be taking 2 to 3...3 pointers a game.

TheReal Kendall
04-22-2014, 05:52 AM
Lamb is that guy but he rots on the bench. Reggie Jackson isnt too bad either. he had some games were he looked just as good as chuckbrook

Yeah. I'll admit that I didn't watch the whole game but what I did see Lamb wasn't in the game. They need to let youngin play and trust him.

Only way he gonna learn and plus he's used to the big lights.

TheReal Kendall
04-22-2014, 06:00 AM
Yea, but do you want Butler taking more than 6 to 8 shots a game?

They already run action for Butler, Jackson, and Ibaka. Hell, they have Fisher out there getting looks.

It's not like WB shoots 28 times a game normally...but what is he supposed to do in game like tonight? Durant was struggling to get open against Allen...and Butler and Reggie looked like shit out there tonight.

I'm all for WB not taking this many shots, but I just don't even want to think about what the offense would look like with Allen guarding Durant and WB trying to get the "others" more shots.

The Grizzlies are good and they play good defense.

My criticism for WB is not really the amount of shots, but the amount of threes...he should only be taking 2 to 3...3 pointers a game.

Yeah they got a great defense. Gotta give credit to that but I'm just saying they need a 3rd option. I mean Butler isnt what he used to be but they can't just rely on 2 players, you know.

It's like you said when KD can't get open then it's all on WB to score. I feel like as a coach Brooks should have backup plans for every scenario.

WB shouldn't have to force a shot after option A isn't available. I know he probably feel like he can score at will but you can't win like that.

They really need a another option to step up. If Ibaka had a decent post game and didn't require someone to create for them then it would be gravy.

Marlo_Stanfield
04-22-2014, 06:01 AM
Yeah. I'll admit that I didn't watch the whole game but what I did see Lamb wasn't in the game. They need to let youngin play and trust him.

Only way he gonna learn and plus he's used to the big lights.
Lamb is an assasin. absolutely cold blooded. he maybe not a great player at this point but VERY capable offensively in that he can create his own shot

DMAVS41
04-22-2014, 06:11 AM
Yeah they got a great defense. Gotta give credit to that but I'm just saying they need a 3rd option. I mean Butler isnt what he used to be but they can't just rely on 2 players, you know.

It's like you said when KD can't get open then it's all on WB to score. I feel like as a coach Brooks should have backup plans for every scenario.

WB shouldn't have to force a shot after option A isn't available. I know he probably feel like he can score at will but you can't win like that.

They really need a another option to step up. If Ibaka had a decent post game and didn't require someone to create for them then it would be gravy.

I personally don't think they do.

I think they need WB to shoot less threes...he can take the exact same amount of shots...just instead of taking 5 threes a game...he should take 2. That would go a long way to helping in my opinion.

They could also use Durant having a legit post up game. It hurts them not being able to having Durant be able to win post consistently against smaller defenders like Allen.

TheReal Kendall
04-22-2014, 06:17 AM
I personally don't think they do.

I think they need WB to shoot less threes...he can take the exact same amount of shots...just instead of taking 5 threes a game...he should take 2. That would go a long way to helping in my opinion.

They could also use Durant having a legit post up game. It hurts them not being able to having Durant be able to win post consistently against smaller defenders like Allen.

I agree, especially with the KD post game part.

No way a 6'4 player should be shutting down a 6'9 - 6'10 player.

Not a Lebron stan but Lebron would abuse Allen on the block. Even if KD isn't stronger than Allen he should just back him down and shoot over him but I guess you gotta be able to catch the ball in order to do that though.

So far it's a good series minus the refs. I can see it going 6 games maybe 7 if Grizz can continue scoring like they did

dunksby
04-22-2014, 06:22 AM
Westbrook takes dumb shots in wasted possessions mostly as a result of either Brooks' limited game plan hitting a dead-end or Durant failing to get open.

SilkkTheShocker
04-22-2014, 09:20 AM
How does this guy have stans? His game is terrible to watch

imdaman99
04-22-2014, 09:43 AM
He needs to relax on the 3s. 1-7? :facepalm

Don't put yourself in situations where you need to put up a bailout shot, his jumper is not anywhere Kobe's was to be taking so many of them. It's a coaching problem, there was a play where Durant got freed open for a 3 in OT by running through multiple picks. Why not run Tony Allen through them constantly? If anything, it would wear him down.

Doesn't help when Sefolosha and Perkins got them huge mins down the stretch too. Those guys don't know what to do with the ball when they get it. So the only 2 you can trust with the ball are RW and KD. And I know Thabo did a good job covering Conley, but he still gave up an offensive rebound to him that lead to Miller hitting that 3. Is Westbrook the only OKC player that is capable of getting a 50-50 ball? :facepalm

I have a feeling this is a good wakeup call for them. Grizz had everything go right for them, and nothing really did for Thunder outside a flurry at the end of regulation and Grizz still barely won. OKC in 6 grueling games.

DMV2
04-22-2014, 09:45 AM
Harden or Westbrook, the biggest chucker? :confusedshrug:

Just kidding, it's still Kobe.

ABfor3
04-22-2014, 09:55 AM
Harden or Westbrook, the bigger chucker? :confusedshrug:
Harden actually gets his teammates involved more especially for a player who's the main focal point on an offense.. Harden has a usage percentage of 28% while Westbrook has a 34% usage percentage. With Hardens TS % is at 61% and Westbrooks is at 54%. Harden shoots better while holding the ball more, Westbrook is the chucker

Marlo_Stanfield
04-22-2014, 10:04 AM
Harden actually gets his teammates involved more especially for a player who's the main focal point on an offense.. Harden has a usage percentage of 28% while Westbrook has a 34% usage percentage. With Hardens TS % is at 61% and Westbrooks is at 54%. Harden shoots better while holding the ball more, Westbrook is the chucker
Lets be real here, Harden is the ultimate chucker.
just because this nikkuh shoots so many FT and threes doesnt mean he isnt a blackhole threatening to suck up the entire Milky Way:coleman:

ABfor3
04-22-2014, 10:13 AM
Lets be real here, Harden is the ultimate chucker.
just because this nikkuh shoots so many FT and threes doesnt mean he isnt a blackhole threatening to suck up the entire Milky Way:coleman:
Seeing how you're one of the biggest Harden haters, your opinion shouldn't be taken seriously when it comes to these debates. You will never admit that Harden does anything good.

INDI
04-22-2014, 10:58 AM
okc will never win a title with him playing the way he does.

I've been saying this for several years. I would trade him for lesser talent if need be. Westbrook would love the opportunity to be THE MAN on his own team. His ideal role would be SG on a borderline playoff team

Imo if the Thunder lose, I would trade Westbrook while his value is high. They can get probably anyone they want outside of like 10 players in the league. Getting a tough nosed pg and another vital role player would be ideal.

ralph_i_el
04-22-2014, 11:07 AM
All those bad shots set up lots of easy shots. You can't play very far of Russ because his pull up is so quick. That lets him get easy blow-bys. Sometimes when he's being aggressive with his dribble he has to shoot because otherwise he'll probably turn it over (and/or Durant is getting denied and Russ can't get him the ball).

So yeah, he has flaws. You have to take the bad with the great

SamuraiSWISH
04-22-2014, 11:11 AM
I've been saying this for several years.
Me too. He's a SG who can't shoot, stuck in a PG role. It just doesn't work out the way it should.

I would trade him for lesser talent if need be. Westbrook would love the opportunity to be THE MAN on his own team. His ideal role would be SG on a borderline playoff team
Agreed.

Imo if the Thunder lose, I would trade Westbrook while his value is high. They can get probably anyone they want outside of like 10 players in the league. Getting a tough nosed pg and another vital role player would be ideal.
Once again, co-signed.

I also think Westbrook's mere presence on the floor psychologically lessens Durant's willingness to be as aggressive. I feel like Russell's approach holds KD back instead of encouraging him to attack.

If OKC crash and burns again in this year's playoffs, I think Westbrook has to go. I mean why wouldn't they try and make some moves?

That or seriously just make Westbrook a SG, and get an actual PG in there to control the tempo of the team, and to make level headed correct decisions. Someone who isn't so emotionally unstable, and is coachable.

It's a shame OKC didn't have foresight to move him when Chris Paul was available. I shutter to think what a lineup with him on it would do with Durant.

pegasus
04-22-2014, 11:13 AM
Westbrook takes dumb shots in wasted possessions mostly as a result of either Brooks' limited game plan hitting a dead-end or Durant failing to get open.

This is not true. Half of his shots come when he takes a jumper in the first 6-7 seconds of the shot clock.

I love his heart and energy and but he really is a poor point guard and a very questionable decision maker. He also lacks the basic fundamentals of passing to a teammate when they get open or post-up.

He does not put his teammates in a position to score easily, instead he usually makes his pass a second after when it should have been made, and that makes a huge difference. And he does not know how to play off the ball, so he's not really helping Durant with spacing.

Jlamb47
04-22-2014, 11:15 AM
Westbrook did take some bad shots lastnight but so did KD. He wasnt all that great excpet for his big shots. He looked tired on some plays where he was letting Russell take control. Russell is so atheltic he can create any shot he really wants too and takes them. His teamates cant create there own shot like him n KD.

ArbitraryWater
04-22-2014, 11:16 AM
Agreed with the OP and Shot Selection.

But people saying KD should leave him and Russ sucks n stuff?

Just last night he hit dozens of timely, godly clutch shots to carry the Thunder in&into the 4th... that guy has the mentality of a killer.

INDI
04-22-2014, 01:18 PM
Me too. He's a SG who can't shoot, stuck in a PG role. It just doesn't work out the way it should.

Agreed.

Once again, co-signed.

I also think Westbrook's mere presence on the floor psychologically lessens Durant's willingness to be as aggressive. I feel like Russell's approach holds KD back instead of encouraging him to attack.

If OKC crash and burns again in this year's playoffs, I think Westbrook has to go. I mean why wouldn't they try and make some moves?

That or seriously just make Westbrook a SG, and get an actual PG in there to control the tempo of the team, and to make level headed correct decisions. Someone who isn't so emotionally unstable, and is coachable.

It's a shame OKC didn't have foresight to move him when Chris Paul was available. I shutter to think what a lineup with him on it would do with Durant.

Exactly!!!

kshutts1
04-22-2014, 01:29 PM
Has anyone ever considered the possibility that players like Kobe and Westbrook are as good and scary and successful as they are BECAUSE of their fearlessness, never-say-die, chucking attitude?

Ignore the science, ignore the stats... just think of the havoc that either of them cause on the court, whether they're shooting or not. They're psychotic, in a sense, and as with all psychotics (assuming I'm using the right "medical" term), they're completely and totally unpredictable.

Always dangerous, always scary. Brett-Favre-esque. Is that really a bad thing? Different than others.. but is it bad?

kshutts1
04-22-2014, 01:34 PM
And if Thunder really want to trade Westbrook... I'd gladly take him on the Bulls.

Westbrook for Rose and a pick or two. In this draft.

imdaman99
04-22-2014, 01:36 PM

Now I know you don't like Westbrook... but by crashing and burning do you mean in the 2012 Finals? What do you mean again? Was last year his fault they lost to the Grizz? Were they supposed to beat the Mavs in 2011? Or the Lakers in 2010? Explain what you mean by crashing and burning again.

SilkkTheShocker
04-22-2014, 01:37 PM
If only they had some third option who could efficiently create for himself and others at a consistent and high level.

:oldlol:

chosen_one6
04-22-2014, 02:00 PM
It's funny, every year Westbrook does the same thing and every year during the playoffs threads pop up like this.

KungFuJoe
04-22-2014, 02:52 PM
Westbrook just tries to force too much.

He has the ability to blow by anyone, but with that Memphis D, he wasn't able to finish.

For every big shot he made, he took like 2 ill advised shots, early in the shot clock. Lots of drives to the lane with floating bank shots that were way off.

AnaheimLakers24
04-22-2014, 02:55 PM
if kd was a pu.ssy he'd collude like gay bran

INDI
04-22-2014, 03:43 PM
Has anyone ever considered the possibility that players like Kobe and Westbrook are as good and scary and successful as they are BECAUSE of their fearlessness, never-say-die, chucking attitude?

Ignore the science, ignore the stats... just think of the havoc that either of them cause on the court, whether they're shooting or not. They're psychotic, in a sense, and as with all psychotics (assuming I'm using the right "medical" term), they're completely and totally unpredictable.

Always dangerous, always scary. Brett-Favre-esque. Is that really a bad thing? Different than others.. but is it bad?

The problem is Westbrook is more Monta Ellis than he is Kobe. Kobe is a bad shot taker but he makes so many impossible ones that it's excusable. Durant already has to take some breathe holding shots so there is no room for two of them to be doing this.

Many of Westbrook's I'll advised shots if he was a good pg would be ending up in the hands of fisher/Butler, they were brought in to take those dagger type shots because that's what their game was built on. The offense should not be him and durant doing a "You go I go". It should be based on Durant being first option and the second option being Westbrook pen et ration creating opportunities for others or himself not tons of stupid pull up jumpers