PDA

View Full Version : Tim Donaghy: NBA pressuring officials to favor calls for Nets over Raptors

Fudge
04-23-2014, 02:43 PM
No thread on this yet doe?

http://beta.thescore.com/news/487073

With the Raptors and Nets set to throw the ball up on Game 2 of their opening round playoff series on Tuesday night, disgraced former NBA referee Tim Donaghy went on Sportsnet 590 The Fan in Toronto and said that he believes the Raptors are at a disadvantage in the series.

“They’re not only going against the Brooklyn Nets but going against the league office,” Donaghy said. “They have a very talented team and have to be that much better than the Brooklyn Nets. I have picked Brooklyn to win the series with (Paul) Pierce, (Kevin) Garnett, Joe Johnson and even Jason Kidd. When you look at the coaches – the referees are going to be more active to talk and respond to (Kidd) over (Raptors coach) Dwane Casey.”

Donaghy believes that the league office indirectly trains officials to favor certain teams.

“What they do is they actually send in a representative from the league office to sit down with the referees at an 11 o’clock meeting in the morning where they go over game film. They will show the referees what they want called, what they want them to concentrate on, what they feel needs to be called or let go in a series to avoid any problems. With that, you would leave the room and say to yourself one team is put at an advantage or disadvantage.

“In this situation, Brooklyn would be put at an advantage. A Brooklyn-Miami matchup would bring great ratings and that’s what this is all about for the NBA and the league offices – bringing in as many dollars as they can.”

Donaghy wasn't surprised by what happened in Game 1.

“Some of the things that the league does and continues to do puts these teams at a disadvantage — like the Toronto Raptors — because moving forward they won’t bring in the big dollars for the league. It’s terrible for the fans (of) Toronto. They go and support that team but really they’re going to have trouble moving on based on talent and what takes place on the floor when they’re really going against the refs and the league, along with the Nets.”

The league issued a response later in the evening, and didn't pull any punches. This from NBA spokesman Michael Bass, via Michael Grange.

"Tim Donaghy is a convicted felon looking for any opportunity for people to listen to his baseless allegations. For Mr. Donaghy to continually try to challenge his former colleagues' ethics is distasteful, and says more about his own integrity than it could ever say about our referees who are the best and most scrutinized game officials in the world."

Donaghy was an NBA official from 1994-2007 before being fired for betting on games he officiated. He was sentenced to 15 months in prison for fixing NBA games.

http://img.4plebs.org/boards/s4s/image/1395/35/1395359322398.jpg

Man, **** this league, brah.

Legends66NBA7
04-23-2014, 02:44 PM
You can also post this in the Nets/Raptors game thread. Just saying, since that's where most of the fans and discussion is going on.

Fudge
04-23-2014, 02:46 PM
You can also post this in the Nets/Raptors game thread. Just saying, since that's where most of the fans and discussion is going on.
Will do, but this needs its own thread, IMO.

SpecialQue
04-23-2014, 02:48 PM
Donaghy was an NBA official from 1994-2007 before being fired for betting on games he officiated. He was sentenced to 15 months in prison for fixing NBA games.

How great would it have been if his cellmates were Kings fans?

Derka
04-23-2014, 02:54 PM
One of these "Donaghy says" stories comes out during the first round of every playoffs, it seems.

KyrieTheFuture
04-23-2014, 02:55 PM
Donaghy is like Canseco, they got caught and now they want to accuse every one of exactly what they did

kennethgriffin
04-23-2014, 02:58 PM
i believe it... was watching game 2 and KG got away with 20 moving screens

the raptors just hit shots late in the 4th and theres nothing the refs could do

Smook A.
04-23-2014, 02:59 PM
I want someone to film that.

hehehe

mattvNJ
04-23-2014, 03:01 PM
the league issued a response later in the evening, and didn't pull any punches. This from NBA spokesman Michael Bass, via Michael Grange.

"Tim Donaghy is a convicted felon looking for any opportunity for people to listen to his baseless allegations. For Mr. Donaghy to continually try to challenge his former colleagues' ethics is distasteful, and says more about his own integrity than it could ever say about our referees who are the best and most scrutinized game officials in the world."

this series has been called decent, Tim is exactly what they say in the passage above.

Granted, it is better going forward for the nets to win. But ball don't lie. Raps won fair and square last night and i believe the series will be called that way going forward. Every time anyone loses in the playoffs its always, "rigged", "refs gave that away" and this and that. Not every call is going to be correct thats basketball and calls are at subjectivity and discretion of the referees.

Derka
04-23-2014, 03:02 PM

KG gets away with 20 moving screens during a regular season game against just about every team. He always gets away with moving screens.

2LeTTeRS
04-23-2014, 03:03 PM
Not saying the NBA isn't fixed; but the evidence he used to support his claim should be laughable to anybody with a real job. Of course the league has meetings with their officials prior to their playoff games; and expecting them not to have points of emphasis for those meetings is simply stupid.

livinglegend
04-23-2014, 03:04 PM
I think that was obvious after the 0 foul called on the Nets during the whole 4th quarter of game. And Nets played very physical defense with many fouls.

niko
04-23-2014, 03:04 PM
The Nets do get more calls. It's not cheating. It's respected vets, two of which historically get a lot of calls. I think Pierce gets a ridiculous number of calls considering he moves in slow motion now. But that has NOTHING to do with being a Net. That's being Paul Pierce. JJ is same. Again, nothing to do with Nets.

mattvNJ
04-23-2014, 03:06 PM
niko hahah, he really does move in slo-mo. Some how decently effective for being a shell of himself. They do get more calls excavtly for the reasons youve stated.

Donaghy's evidence for this is a joke and speculation. Get outta here you felon.

livinglegend
The Nets do get more calls. It's not cheating. It's respected vets, two of which historically get a lot of calls. I think Pierce gets a ridiculous number of calls considering he moves in slow motion now. But that has NOTHING to do with being a Net. That's being Paul Pierce. JJ is same. Again, nothing to do with Nets.

Just watch the 4th quarter of game 1.
It s not about Pierce and Garnett getting calls, but Raptors getting hacked and not getting 1 foul called the whole 4th quarter.

icewill36
lol not this guy again

blood yes
04-23-2014, 03:08 PM
Anyone who thinks the NBA isnt rigged is incredibly naive, and needs to look back at the 2002 WCF game 6 or the 2006 NBA finals.

I dont care that the refs are human, ANYONE could have made better calls than what the refs did in those two series. Its clear the NBA, like all other companies, put their emphasis on making money, and if they want big market teams to win the championship like the Heat and Lakers, they will MAKE SURE they win.

The only reason why the Big Market Teams dont win every year is because then it will get too suspicious. Not like it matters, cause anyone with a brain can see that the 2002 WCF game 6 and the 2006 NBA finals were rigged.

ShaqCarriedKobe
04-23-2014, 03:09 PM
Tim Donaghy... just another guy who carried Kobrick to rings without getting credit for it.

livinglegend
04-23-2014, 03:11 PM
this series has been called decent, Tim is exactly what they say in the passage above.

Granted, it is better going forward for the nets to win. But ball don't lie. Raps won fair and square last night and i believe the series will be called that way going forward. Every time anyone loses in the playoffs its always, "rigged", "refs gave that away" and this and that. Not every call is going to be correct thats basketball and calls are at subjectivity and discretion of the referees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eoz7_QMcwAw ( at 4:16)

Tell me how is this a foul? How do you call this a foul in the last seconds of a close game?
You know what was worse? The refs saw that Hinrich s layup didnt go in and then, he called the foul. He obviously wanted a 2nd overtime.

Dro
04-23-2014, 03:12 PM

To be fair though, KG has always gotten away with moving screens...

oh the horror
04-23-2014, 03:13 PM
What gets me are the people that believe one ref was caught and it's an isolated incident.

I believe there are more of them still officiating

livinglegend
04-23-2014, 03:14 PM
Anyone who thinks the NBA isnt rigged is incredibly naive, and needs to look back at the 2002 WCF game 6 or the 2006 NBA finals.

I dont care that the refs are human, ANYONE could have made better calls than what the refs did in those two series. Its clear the NBA, like all other companies, put their emphasis on making money, and if they want big market teams to win the championship like the Heat and Lakers, they will MAKE SURE they win.

The only reason why the Big Market Teams dont win every year is because then it will get too suspicious. Not like it matters, cause anyone with a brain can see that the 2002 WCF game 6 and the 2006 NBA finals were rigged.

It s not rigged, but highly influenced. Refs do get instruction to favor certain teams. They got instructions to favor Pacers and Bulls yesterday to extend the series as much as possible. They will try to make OKC win the first round.

FireDavidKahn
04-23-2014, 03:15 PM
Donaghy is like Canseco, they got caught and now they want to accuse every one of exactly what they did
And the sad part is that we all know that it is true.

blood yes
04-23-2014, 03:32 PM
It s not rigged, but highly influenced. Refs do get instruction to favor certain teams. They got instructions to favor Pacers and Bulls yesterday to extend the series as much as possible. They will try to make OKC win the first round.
Im not saying all games are rigged, in fact, im not even saying that the majority of series are rigged.

However, 2002 WCF and 2006 NBA finals were rigged, no doubt about that. To be honest though, after 2006, the officiating seems to have gotten a lot less rig-like. I guess the NBA got the message that we were suspecting what they were doing

TheMarkMadsen
04-23-2014, 03:36 PM
He said that before the series they have a meeting and discuss how the series will be officiated, and that after leaving those meetings he would feel as if one team has an advantage over another..

Sooo considering he wasn't in on the meetings for this series..

How the hell would he know who is favored or not :facepalm

livinglegend
04-23-2014, 03:37 PM
He said that before the series they have a meeting and discuss how the series will be officiated, and that after leaving those meetings he would feel as if one team has an advantage over another..

by watching the games

TheMarkMadsen
04-23-2014, 03:40 PM
by watching the games

But he said the reason he felt certain teams were favored was because of how the meetings went prior to the series..

He wasn't in on those meetings for those series

So going by his logic, he has no clue who is favored

VengefulAngel
04-23-2014, 03:43 PM
Pure speculation from a less than reliable source....

KirbyPls
04-23-2014, 03:54 PM
Pure speculation from a less than reliable source....

I heard this about Canseco countless times, before the evidence actually came to light. Not everything is rigged, but to act like major professional sports is not subjected to gambling influences is incredibly naive.

oarabbus
04-23-2014, 04:23 PM
What gets me are the people that believe one ref was caught and it's an isolated incident.

I believe there are more of them still officiating

This. People are so ****ing dumb to actually think he was the one "Bad apple" in this.

AnaheimLakers24
04-23-2014, 04:26 PM
refs definitely favor teams with calls. look at 2012-13 heat for example. they wouldnt even sniff ecf without the refs major help

oarabbus
04-23-2014, 04:33 PM
refs definitely favor teams with calls. look at 2012-13 heat for example. they wouldnt even sniff ecf without the refs major help

You might actually have mental retardation. Get that checked out. You shouldn't be posting on a forum.

mattvNJ
04-23-2014, 04:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eoz7_QMcwAw ( at 4:16)

Tell me how is this a foul? How do you call this a foul in the last seconds of a close game?
You know what was worse? The refs saw that Hinrich s layup didnt go in and then, he called the foul. He obviously wanted a 2nd overtime.

You pick out one foul lol. I mean of course they want those things but fouls down the stretch are gonna either be called every time or ignored. Theyre human they will miss a thing or so in the action of the game. I mean it was a foul, but I wouldnt call all these games rigged per say, preferance in teams is obvious due to the tenure or the calibre of the player.

russwest0
04-23-2014, 04:39 PM
But he said the reason he felt certain teams were favored was because of how the meetings went prior to the series..

He's talking from past experience, where league officials would go over film with him and point out things they wanted to be called or not called. He says after these meetings it became clear which team the league wanted to win for better ratings and/or more money.

His Spurs/Suns series that many thought was fixed was probably like that. The league probably gave him clear instructions to officiate in the Spurs favor.

It's not hard to see why the league wants the Nets vs the Heat over the Raptors. The Nets play them tougher so it would likely go more games plus it's a much bigger ratings draw.

russwest0
04-23-2014, 04:41 PM
You might actually have mental retardation. Get that checked out. You shouldn't be posting on a forum.

I don't know about "wouldn't even sniff" the ECF, but I mostly agree with what he is saying. With fair officiating the Pacers start up 3-1 on the Heat in that series and it's tough to see them losing 3 straight like that. I think it was game one that series there was a point where the Pacers whole starting 5 all had 2 fouls and the first quarter wasn't even over yet. Something like that. They got screwed hard out of that game.

ShaqCarriedKobe
04-23-2014, 04:42 PM
With fair officiating the Pacers start up 3-1 on the Heat in that series
With fair officiating, Rip-Through Durant never gets out of the second round, at best, in his career.

oarabbus
04-23-2014, 04:42 PM
He's talking from past experience, where league officials would go over film with him and point out things they wanted to be called or not called. He says after these meetings it became clear which team the league wanted to win for better ratings and/or more money.

His Spurs/Suns series that many thought was fixed was probably like that. The league probably gave him clear instructions to officiate in the Spurs favor.

It's not hard to see why the league wants the Nets vs the Heat over the Raptors. The Nets play them tougher so it would likely go more games plus it's a much bigger ratings draw.

I don't know about "wouldn't even sniff" the ECF, but I mostly agree with what he is saying. With fair officiating the Pacers start up 3-1 on the Heat in that series and it's tough to see them losing 3 straight like that. I think it was game one that series there was a point when the Pacers whole starting 5 all had 2 fouls and the first quarter wasn't even over yet. Something like that. They got screwed hard out of that game.

Yeah the "wouldn't sniff" is the part I took issue with though. And good post above. I can't believe some of these clowns are blind to reality staring them in the face. The NBA is about entertainment and these clowns really think the league will fairly let Toronto play the Heat as opposed to Brooklyn, one of the largest media markets in the world :wtf:

russwest0
04-23-2014, 04:44 PM
This. People are so ****ing dumb to actually think he was the one "Bad apple" in this.

The worst people are the ones who blame him for the 2002 WCF when he didn't even officiate a single game in that series and merely made money off of it using insider knowledge that the league wanted LA to win.

Rocketswin2013
04-23-2014, 04:47 PM

You ****ing idiot.

He's talking about his own experiences. My god, you ****ing peons.

qrich
04-23-2014, 04:56 PM
With fair officiating, Rip-Through Durant never gets out of the second round, at best, in his career.

:oldlol:

Not sure if he'll never get out of round two, but his "efficiency" and free throw attempts would take a major hit.

becken
04-24-2014, 06:43 AM
:cheers: :cheers:

Real14
04-24-2014, 07:34 AM
Nets are worthless old bums:coleman:

Knoe Itawl
04-24-2014, 07:55 AM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again - anyone who honestly believes the NBA is rigged and keeps watching it is a f#cking idiot. Period.

Myth
04-24-2014, 07:57 AM

KG has gotten away with moving screens his entire career.

RoundMoundOfReb
04-24-2014, 08:00 AM
Honestly a Raptors-Heat matchup would do some good ratings as well.

bagelred
04-24-2014, 08:00 AM
http://img.4plebs.org/boards/s4s/image/1395/35/1395359322398.jpg

Real14
04-24-2014, 08:02 AM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again - anyone who honestly believes the NBA is rigged and keeps watching it is a f#cking idiot. Period.
Then why people watch wrestling??:confusedshrug:

RoundMoundOfReb
04-24-2014, 08:11 AM
Agreed.

tpols
04-24-2014, 09:23 AM

theres a difference between flat out rigged and being led along for best results along the way.

Bl
04-24-2014, 09:25 AM
I dont trust news from a beta site

RoundMoundOfReb
04-24-2014, 09:25 AM
theres a difference between flat out rigged and being led along for best results along the way.
No there isn't. Either the league is actively manipulating the results of games or it isn't. If I believed they were I wouldn't watch.

tpols
04-24-2014, 09:32 AM
No there isn't. Either the league is actively manipulating the results of games or it isn't. If I believed they were I wouldn't watch.

well thats already been proven to have happened lol.. guess its time for you to leave

RoundMoundOfReb
04-24-2014, 09:34 AM
well thats already been proven to have happened lol.. guess its time for you to leave
It's been proven that one isolated official was rigging games not that the league was behind it.

Knoe Itawl
04-24-2014, 09:35 AM

Wrestling was changed to "WWE", and has come out and said it's scripted. Basketball presents itself as completely free of any sort of preordained outcome. That's the difference.

Im Still Ballin
04-24-2014, 09:36 AM
Of course this occurs...

The NBA is a business, their business is Entertainment

The league is legally entitled to do what is needed to entertain their audience, such as the creation and promotion of certain storylines.

Knoe Itawl
04-24-2014, 09:38 AM

Again, if someone TRULY believes that there is an intentional mandate by the NBA to have any sort of favoring for one team over another (not talking about rogue incidents here and there such as Donaghy), then they are a fool to keep watching.

You're not a fool to be p!ssed at bad calls, argue over calls, etc. You ARE a fool if you keep watching while thinking that the game is rigged, fixed, "lead along", or anything of that nature by NBA management.

tpols
04-24-2014, 09:41 AM
It's been proven that one isolated official was rigging games not that the league was behind it.

end result is the same.. there have been flat out rigged games in the playoffs. Now if you want to argue the league and everybody around old timmy here had absolutely NO involvement, suspicision or anything and this guy was acting as a sole rogue agent with all the money on it and connects he had then go right ahead

tpols
04-24-2014, 09:46 AM
Again, if someone TRULY believes that there is an intentional mandate by the NBA to have any sort of favoring for one team over another (not talking about rogue incidents here and there such as Donaghy), then they are a fool to keep watching.

You're not a fool to be p!ssed at bad calls, argue over calls, etc. You ARE a fool if you keep watching while thinking that the game is rigged, fixed, "lead along", or anything of that nature by NBA management.

I want the nets to win:oldlol: So honestly this right now is a good thing for me if anything..

it isnt foolproof though.. refs can only affect the game so much but they definitely can do things to keep it close or give one team momentum. But if derozen is going to hit a bunch of clutch jumpers and PP is going to miss open 3s there's nothing the refs can do. 99% is real unbiased action but there will always be a small agenda surfacing here and there. Dont know why that would stop me from watching the rest.

RoundMoundOfReb
04-24-2014, 09:46 AM
end result is the same.. there have been flat out rigged games in the playoffs. Now if you want to argue the league and everybody around old timmy here had absolutely NO involvement, suspicision or anything and this guy was acting as a sole rogue agent with all the money on it and connects he had then go right ahead
No the end result isn't the same. If the league were behind it that would mean every single game even to this day was/is rigged but if it was just one idiot Ref who was betting on the games then it means that once he was removed the problem was solved.

Again, if anybody really believes the NBA is rigged they should stop watching it.

tpols
04-24-2014, 09:50 AM
No the end result isn't the same. If the league were behind it that would mean every single game even to this day was/is rigged but if it was just one idiot Ref who was betting on the games then it means that once he was removed the problem was solved.

Again, if anybody really believes the NBA is rigged they should stop watching it.

How would it mean every game is rigged?? Its impossible to assert that level of control or even have a reason for rigging that many games.

Knoe Itawl
04-24-2014, 10:02 AM
I want the nets to win:oldlol: So honestly this right now is a good thing for me if anything..

it isnt foolproof though.. refs can only affect the game so much but they definitely can do things to keep it close or give one team momentum. But if derozen is going to hit a bunch of clutch jumpers and PP is going to miss open 3s there's nothing the refs can do. 99% is real unbiased action but there will always be a small agenda surfacing here and there. Dont know why that would stop me from watching the rest.

Here are the choices:

A. You believe it's rigged, but don't care because you look at it like the WWE.

B. You believe it's rigged, DO care but keep watching anyway and whine about it. This makes you a fool.

C. You accept that refs will make bad calls here and there, that there will be isolated incidents here and there of examples like Donaghy but you feel that overall the refs do the best they can with probably the most difficult reffing job in sports.

Reasonable people fall into category C.

plowking
04-24-2014, 10:12 AM
Didn't he say the same thing last year about two teams, then one team ended up absolutely destroying the other, completely the opposite of what he said?

RIP CITY
04-24-2014, 10:14 AM
There is no doubt that certain teams get preferential treatment from the referees. Sometimes it effects the outcome of a game, sometimes it doesn't. I'm not sure I would use the word "rigged" (at least not in most cases) but it definitely happens.

Donaghy might be a scumbag but I don't doubt that there is some truth to his stories. Maybe not in this particular case, though I wouldn't rule it out, but I tend to believe that at least some of things he's said over the years are true. I'll definitely never believe the "lone rouge referee" story the NBA has been beating to death.

FLDFSU
04-24-2014, 10:38 AM
Can Tim explain why the NBA didn't produce a Knicks-Heat ECF last year?

Wouldn't that have been far more ratings than the Pacers?

dude77
04-24-2014, 10:49 AM
Can Tim explain why the NBA didn't produce a Knicks-Heat ECF last year?

Wouldn't that have been far more ratings than the Pacers?

:yaohappy:

FLDFSU
04-24-2014, 10:51 AM
I don't know about "wouldn't even sniff" the ECF, but I mostly agree with what he is saying. With fair officiating the Pacers start up 3-1 on the Heat in that series and it's tough to see them losing 3 straight like that. I think it was game one that series there was a point where the Pacers whole starting 5 all had 2 fouls and the first quarter wasn't even over yet. Something like that. They got screwed hard out of that game.

Is that the reason why the refs called that ridiculous foul on Wade that cause George to shoot 3 free throws and the Pacers to be up 1 with 2 seconds left?

And didn't the Pacers shoot about 50 more free throws in the series than the Heat?

:facepalm :facepalm

FLDFSU
04-24-2014, 10:53 AM
Yeah the "wouldn't sniff" is the part I took issue with though. And good post above. I can't believe some of these clowns are blind to reality staring them in the face. The NBA is about entertainment and these clowns really think the league will fairly let Toronto play the Heat as opposed to Brooklyn, one of the largest media markets in the world :wtf:

Okay, so why didn't the NBA let NYK play Miami in the ECF last year?

Flash31
04-24-2014, 12:10 PM

Entertainment,a good show or story

JUST Like the NBA

Hell,the NBA is rigged to an extent.
The refs can and do try to influence games to how they want it and who they want the winner to be but at the same time they don't blatantly rig it bc well too easy to tell,but they do heavily influence the games.

I mean the NBA fines people for talking bad about the refs rather than fix the issues or problems or obvious agendas they instead prefer an do try to shut people up and sweep it under the rug.

Tim Donaghy somehow being the only ref who rigged games and only person caught---bull and sht.
He was the scapegoat,the easy target who was too obvious and too visible.

Though in a way we as fans all know the NBA is rigged to an extent and they have their teams,players,matchups and how they call games in regards to different teams and players.
But just like wrestling,even though it's scripted--the fans DO NOT know who wins.They assume they know and they can kind of tell just like NBA games but aren't always right an do not know.

We know the story by now.The big story,matchups they are trying to sell are
LeBron and Heat are Bad Guys,Durant and OkC are underdogs,Best Player,Hard working,blue collar compared to Miamis evil,dark,"bad" empire.

For the league the Heat losing and/or the Thunder winning makes the Best story,the most money.The media and NBA feeds off of LeBron,Heat hate an resentment and pushes stars,teams against them.

We've seen it with D Rose becoming MVP,the Bulls being called The TEAM,the Bulls getting to play more physical and harder than anybody else,
We've seen the Macs with their 100 mill payroll being desrcibed as underdogs,hard working,small time,Dirk and role players up against DREAM Team and Heat hyped as Bad Guys.We've seen Dirk GOAT,hyped up talks.
We've seen PG Top 3 Player,Future Goat,RH Next Mutombo,Russell,and Pacers and their physical play and "Verticality".

Flash31
04-24-2014, 12:12 PM
Anybody that believes the NBA is not influencing and trying to get games how they want and not influencing,rigging games to their preferred outcomes
is beyond stupid,naive and ignorant.

MavsSuperFan
04-24-2014, 12:18 PM
No idea about the accuracy of donaghy's accusations but canseco was proven right but later revelations in almost all of his accusations.

To the point one that many ppl assume everyone canseco accused of roids/hgh used.

MavsSuperFan
04-24-2014, 12:20 PM
He probably went to a minimum security facility with other white collar criminals

kaiteng
04-24-2014, 12:22 PM
Sheed Theory maybe right. (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60274)

MavsSuperFan
04-24-2014, 12:23 PM
Not saying the NBA isn't fixed; but the evidence he used to support his claim should be laughable to anybody with a real job. Of course the league has meetings with their officials prior to their playoff games; and expecting them not to have points of emphasis for those meetings is simply stupid.
But the point is, are those points of emphasis purposefully biased towards one team.

Flash31
04-24-2014, 12:24 PM
Okay, so why didn't the NBA let NYK play Miami in the ECF last year?

NYK vs Miami or
Ind vs MIA

the IND/Mia was pushed as a rivalry,
Roy Hibbert went from avg 4.5 Fouls per game in reg season to 2
He somehow learned "verticality" and learned to barely ever foul in less than a week.

Aside from the rivalry being pushed and PG,RH being hyped with Ind getting to play their hard,physical way of d which somehow became clean,

Ind had a better chance against Mia than NY did period.

Ind basically became the new Chicago

PG became Rose
RH became Noah/Asik

RH "verticality" started in those playoffs and was
the main reason Ind beat the NYK.

It's one thing to contest a shot,have arms in the air,be a big,huge,tall presence in paint and teams trying to score on you.
It's a highly different thing when you're allowed to bring your arms down on players' neck,shoulders,head,body and are literally allowed to palm peoples faces and heads and It being Called Clean and "Vertical".

If the league wanted Andrea Bargnani would be a DPOY if he was allowed to do what Hibbert is allowed to under the basis of "verticality".

Besides tht,rivalries sell in NBA and so does the story.

Blue collar,hard working,small city,Team Pacers up against
Big bad,evil empire,glamour city,Bad Guys Big 3 Heat.

When aside from Heat,nobody gives two craps about Indy or watches.
The media sells the story and people eat it up and believe---
Pg Top 3,PG>= Pippen,RH next Mutombo,RH top 3 C,

MavsSuperFan
04-24-2014, 12:25 PM
U think it impossible that the league would favor the more marketable team?

MavsSuperFan
04-24-2014, 12:30 PM

It makes logical/financial sense to favor the team of superstars with a superstar head coach.

Let's be honest casual nba fans probably couldn't name one raptor.

MavsSuperFan
04-24-2014, 12:38 PM
It not rigged. The nba just favors longer series, bigger markets, superstars, and anything else that will boost profits/ratings. They make it harder for less marketable teams to win. It's not impossible though, and might even be a bias that the nba doesn't realize it has.

Flash31
04-24-2014, 12:38 PM
No idea about the accuracy of donaghy's accusations but canseco was proven right but later revelations in almost all of his accusations.

To the point one that many ppl assume everyone canseco accused of roids/hgh used.

I find it laughable and beyond ignorant that people believe
One REF was the only person rigging games
especially now where they FINE people for talking about the refs rather than changing it.

Ooh they apologized for OBVIOUS calls that everybody else saw
but the result STILL stands.
So it seems like they made a mistake,and made right when only its the mistakes that they had to apologize for were the Obvious ones.

How can you believe calls that were apologized for were the only bad ones?
Everybody except the refs thought those calls were bad and only had to apologize due to the attention and how obviously wrong they were.

Tim Donaghy CLEARLY was NOT the only ref rigging games to a certain way.

Oh,I'm sorry we made clearly bad calls that cost you the game but we're not fixing that.Though we did apologize but tough luck.

Do people not remember the Lakers playoff push Last Year and how teams were getting screwed over left and right?
Do y'all forget that the Heat had the Least Amount of FtA in a 7 game series in History and how Ind got 40+ fta more?

Do y'all forget the League apologizing to the Raptors at least for 4 Different games?
LeBron gets his nose broken--no Foul
Elbowed to throat--okay common foul
Dirk being Untouchable IN 2011 PO becoming Breath on Me,Touch Me and Ill sue
FTA Parade?

This year the Nets in Game 1 vs Raps got called for 1 Foul in 4th q--a charge
playing man to man d consisting of old guys KG,Pierce,JJ up against DD,Lowry,Ross,JV and 1 FOUL--a charge,come on

The Warriors-Clippers Game starting off with 3 quick fouls in under a minute
OKC-Grizz where its a no call on a clear charge against NBA's golden Boy KD andwhere the only person suspended was a Grizz player for PEd use--come on

You have to be literally blind and deaf to not see the obviousness

Tim wasn't the only one.

livinglegend
04-24-2014, 02:07 PM
Here are the choices:

A. You believe it's rigged, but don't care because you look at it like the WWE.

B. You believe it's rigged, DO care but keep watching anyway and whine about it. This makes you a fool.

C. You accept that refs will make bad calls here and there, that there will be isolated incidents here and there of examples like Donaghy but you feel that overall the refs do the best they can with probably the most difficult reffing job in sports.

Reasonable people fall into category C.

Bad calls here and there? :oldlol: :oldlol:
Why does all the bad calls go in favor of one team and why it goes very often in favor of the team that brings better ratings?
Did you watch 2002 WCF game 6? It were bad calls in here and there?
Did you watch LAL s run to the playoffs last season? Why did all the bad calls went in favor of LAL, each game? It wasnt one game. It happened for like 30 games. Why did the 2 teams that were competing with LAL to make the playoffs went from 9-10th in FTA to last and 2nd to last? Why did LAL get 50 fts in a crucial game for their playoffs run?

One cant be naive.

2LeTTeRS
04-24-2014, 02:21 PM
But the point is, are those points of emphasis purposefully biased towards one team.

Thats the thing; if he's going to allege that the league gives biased points of emphasis when he wasn't in the meeting than it would have made since for him to reference past examples when the league did just that. From the quote published here he did not do that.

I find it laughable and beyond ignorant that people believe
One REF was the only person rigging games
especially now where they FINE people for talking about the refs rather than changing it.

You realize every league does that right? If your going to be a conspiracy theorist at least have the facts down.

LogicalFan
04-24-2014, 02:26 PM
I think that was obvious after the 0 foul called on the Nets during the whole 4th quarter of game. And Nets played very physical defense with many fouls.

Oh yeah, look at all these fouls from that 4th quarter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIujMMCFeL8

Oh wait, nvm. That's just good D. The Nets played D and hit shots. The Raptors didn't. Plain and simple. Nets would've won game 2 if Kidd didn't wait till 6 minutes left in the game to put the damn starters back in. The Nets played their starters as many minutes as a cruising Clippers team in game 2 (40 point blowout, only 1.5 minute minutes disparity between Nets starters and Clips starters...and the Nets were in a tight game on the road. Not all of the starters are 40, Kidd needs to tighten the rotation.) Pierce was one in-and-out 3-pointer away from putting the Nets ahead in the last minute, too.

As for Game 1, was there a missed call or two? Yeah, but they generally didn't pull the whistle in the 4th quarter. I think the Raps were whistled 6 total times in the 4th and 3 of them were intentional fouls down the stretch.

But Raps have little reason to bitch about the refs. This was from a pivotal divisional matchup during the season.

Hint: Watch Amir Johnson on Kirilenko

http://giant.gfycat.com/RashLimpingCuscus.gif

ILLsmak
04-24-2014, 03:53 PM

I will preface this by saying you seem like a good dude.

However, I don't agree. As we know, everything is rigged. The world is not fair. If you love... hmm... Miss America, do you stop watching because it's rigged? Do you stop reading books because the higher level prizes are based on the political landscape? Ever played that crane animal game where you go in on something and the crane just goes EEHHH and lets it go as soon as it picks it up?

This is life. There is no comparable basketball that isn't rigged. College is rigged, too. If you're saying... assuming they could put together a league with some level of talent... NCAA-level talent... and it was completely clean, would I watch it over the NBA? Absolutely.

The way the US works... the way the government works... is all based on money. Money comes from under (whether advertising from companies or special interest donations) and it's because of that money that such things are able to reach great heights. That is why, once they are there, they still owe a debt to the ones who financed them. Big Biz, Major league sports, the Senate. There's really no way around it.

That is also a known fact. Best to think of it as the government because that's the most rock-solid example. Then some of their (metaphorical) votes... that is ref support... are given where the supporting finances want it.

The money isn't just one person. It's a collection of money, and if that money got pulled out, probably even from one larger source, it would throw everything on its side.

that's how I see it at least, and I can wake up each day without thinking "I'm a ****ing idiot."

-Smak

red1
04-24-2014, 03:59 PM
League doesn't have an agenda to f*ck teams over but it is human nature, the refs are naturally going to respect established vets more than inexperienced and young players.

russwest0
04-24-2014, 04:04 PM

So you don't believe the 2002 WCF was manipulated in any way?

FLDFSU
04-24-2014, 04:09 PM
NYK vs Miami or
Ind vs MIA

the IND/Mia was pushed as a rivalry,
Roy Hibbert went from avg 4.5 Fouls per game in reg season to 2
He somehow learned "verticality" and learned to barely ever foul in less than a week.

Aside from the rivalry being pushed and PG,RH being hyped with Ind getting to play their hard,physical way of d which somehow became clean,

Ind had a better chance against Mia than NY did period.

Ind basically became the new Chicago

PG became Rose
RH became Noah/Asik

RH "verticality" started in those playoffs and was
the main reason Ind beat the NYK.

It's one thing to contest a shot,have arms in the air,be a big,huge,tall presence in paint and teams trying to score on you.
It's a highly different thing when you're allowed to bring your arms down on players' neck,shoulders,head,body and are literally allowed to palm peoples faces and heads and It being Called Clean and "Vertical".

If the league wanted Andrea Bargnani would be a DPOY if he was allowed to do what Hibbert is allowed to under the basis of "verticality".

Besides tht,rivalries sell in NBA and so does the story.

Blue collar,hard working,small city,Team Pacers up against
Big bad,evil empire,glamour city,Bad Guys Big 3 Heat.

When aside from Heat,nobody gives two craps about Indy or watches.
The media sells the story and people eat it up and believe---
Pg Top 3,PG>= Pippen,RH next Mutombo,RH top 3 C,

But the point of the post was to infer that the NBA wants big-markets and talent, superstars to go on into the playoffs.

You don't think the NBA would want to have the Knicks in the ECF vs the Heat? Why would the NBA rig it for the Pacers by giving them 100 more free throws in their 6 game series vs the Knicks, including like 20 more FTs in the 4th Qrt of their elimination game (Knicks vs Pacers)?

FLDFSU
04-24-2014, 04:18 PM
It not rigged. The nba just favors longer series, bigger markets, superstars, and anything else that will boost profits/ratings. They make it harder for less marketable teams to win. It's not impossible though, and might even be a bias that the nba doesn't realize it has.

If that is the case, why in last year's playoff have a final four of Spurs, Heat, Memphis, and Pacers?

This is like the exact opposite of bigger markets and superstars...

Solefade
04-24-2014, 04:21 PM
If that is the case, why not, in last year's playoff have a final four of Spurs, Heat, Memphis, and Pacers?

This is like the exact opposite of bigger markets and superstars...

it's not just about market size, it's tv ratings too...history has shown that ratings spike up when LBJ and the heat are failing

Solefade
04-24-2014, 04:25 PM
all the bandwagon haters and their moms tune in when they think LBJ is about to lose:

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2012/06/eastern-conference-finals-game-6-on-espn-generates-highest-overnight-rating-for-nba-game-ever-on-cable/

FLDFSU
04-24-2014, 04:27 PM
it's not just about market size, it's tv ratings too...history has shown that ratings spike up when LBJ and the heat are failing

But why not have the Heat fail against a NYC or a LAC or at least OKC with Durant?

Why in the world would the NBA rig it to have the Spurs, Pacers, and Memphis in a final four with MIA?

None of those teams are in a particularly large market (Spur come the closest) and none of those teams have a star that that the Knicks, Clipper, or Thunder had.

You guys have been saying that the NBA rigs it for large markets and superstars. Okay, how in the world is the Pacers, Memphis even close and the Spurs are mediocre at best with regards to stars, large markets, or ratings.

FLDFSU
04-24-2014, 04:31 PM
And if the NBA was rigging it, they figured out how to get Kobe vs Pierce twice in the NBA Finals

But

Cannot figure out how to get Kobe vs Lebron?

Not even in 2011? When both were on talented teams with Championship expectation.

Not once?

The NBA must suck at rigging!

russwest0
04-24-2014, 04:32 PM
And if the NBA was rigging it, they figured out how to get Kobe vs Pierce twice in the NBA Finals

But

Cannot figure out how to get Kobe vs Lebron?

Not even in 2011? When both were on talented teams with Championship expectation.

Not once?

The NBA must suck at rigging!

If you think it's as cut and dry as this then you are a moron.

Chrono90
04-24-2014, 04:39 PM

Common sense tells me one was caught and there's got to be more out there.

MOB Boss: "Let's rig the games Tim is reffing and lose big bets on all the other games where he's not a ref."

^^^^ HECKKKKKKKKKKK NO. They have at least a few refs in their pockets.

FLDFSU
04-24-2014, 04:40 PM
If you think it's as cut and dry as this then you are a moron.

Would you think the NBA is rigging it if we get Pacers vs OKC?

aboss4real24
05-04-2014, 01:56 PM
I See wat tim was talking about now

the nba should b ashamed of itself

Im Still Ballin
05-04-2014, 01:58 PM

I dare you to post in a different colour.

I dare you.

ZoPunde
05-04-2014, 02:04 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/49394215.jpg

The JKidd Kid
05-04-2014, 02:24 PM

The fouls at the half were 14-14 and that's counting all the little touch fouls on Lowry that are keeping the Raptors in the game.

oarabbus
05-04-2014, 02:29 PM
The fouls at the half were 14-14 and that's counting all the little touch fouls on Lowry that are keeping the Raptors in the game.

Those Greivis Vasquez fouls doe

WallIn
05-04-2014, 02:30 PM
Both teams had fifteen FTs by half-time