PDA

View Full Version : considering toronto is the 3rd biggest market in north america. why dont they spend?

kennethgriffin
04-23-2014, 04:58 PM
why is lowry gonna be let go to save money after this season

why are the raptors 9th in team salary at 71 million

they should be right with brooklyn, new york, miami and LA

toronto has no problem making money. its F*CKING TORONTO

oarabbus
04-23-2014, 04:59 PM
Canada

AnaheimLakers24
04-23-2014, 05:01 PM
retarded country

NumberSix
04-23-2014, 05:01 PM
Actually the 4th largest market in North America, but Mexico City doesn't have an nba team.

kennethgriffin
04-23-2014, 05:02 PM
Canada

toronto is not canada. its the farthest thing from canada.. its like new york.

i live in ottawa. trust me. its a polar opposite of what a normal city consists of here

Keno
04-23-2014, 05:03 PM
Honestly, that's what I call a cool story bro. Such a riveting tale, I honestly copy and pasted it to word, saved on my hard drive, backed it up on a jump drive, drove to the bank, put the jump drive in the safe deposit box, and will leave it there until my kids turn about 12 (when they can actually state their age, and ask what it is I'm showing them), when I will pick it up, put it in an old USB drive reader and relay this cool story to them and tell them, "kids, this is what a cool story should look and sound like...not like the stories your generation tells

Legends66NBA7
04-23-2014, 05:03 PM
Were going to have a lot of cap room in the next couple of years even if we don't resign Lowry.

I believe the Raps are going to target a very lucrative free agent(s), while drafting and trading well for needs and wants.

D-FENS
04-23-2014, 05:05 PM
They try to spend, no one wants to go there. They signed Landry Fields... they have to overspend constantly. Never made a big signing, only trades or rookies.

Know why? Players get double taxed, cold winters, boring ass city.

kennethgriffin
04-23-2014, 05:06 PM
Honestly, that's what I call a cool story bro. Such a riveting tale, I honestly copy and pasted it to word, saved on my hard drive, backed it up on a jump drive, drove to the bank, put the jump drive in the safe deposit box, and will leave it there until my kids turn about 12 (when they can actually state their age, and ask what it is I'm showing them), when I will pick it up, put it in an old USB drive reader and relay this cool story to them and tell them, "kids, this is what a cool story should look and sound like...not like the stories your generation tells

i left my OP so simple for a reason

after the first few sentences i got lazy and gave up reading your response cause its too long and drawn out to say something that could have taken up 1/10th as many words to get your point accross

learn from me next time

kennethgriffin
04-23-2014, 05:09 PM
They try to spend, no one wants to go there. They signed Landry Fields... they have to overspend constantly. Never made a big signing, only trades or rookies.

the thing is... the nba season is spent during the winter anyway. so you have no time to enjoy sunny beaches regardless.. hardly a reason to choose your team based on weather..

during the offseason is when its nice out.

WTFdidNBAbigsGO
04-23-2014, 05:10 PM
Should we be more like the knicks? First off they do spend look at turkoglus contract, bargnani, boshs before he left... No one wants to stay here so what more can they do? Offer everyone a max? lol

kennethgriffin
04-23-2014, 05:11 PM
Were going to have a lot of cap room in the next couple of years even if we don't resign Lowry.

I believe the Raps are going to target a very lucrative free agent(s), while drafting and trading well for needs and wants.

well thats retarded. they have a team mostly made up of great players with no ego's. theyre not a team that attracts free agents. so why not pay the people you're lucky enough to have in the first place.

give these guys whatever they want. make moves through smart trades and picks...

dumping your solid roster to get cap space will just bring in another hedo turkoglu idiot or some other bum theyre gonna over pay to get

i'd match lowry on whatever another team offers

WTFdidNBAbigsGO
04-23-2014, 05:12 PM

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
Players dont get double taxed thats just a bogus excuse by players? Boring ass city? Have you ever been there?:biggums: :biggums: :biggums: :biggums:
Im sure the players can afford a low end heater too in these oh so frozen winters lol

NumberSix
04-23-2014, 05:14 PM
toronto is not canada. its the farthest thing from canada.. its like new york.

i live in ottawa. trust me. its a polar opposite of what a normal city consists of here
I thought you said you live in Hull?

WTFdidNBAbigsGO
04-23-2014, 05:14 PM
well thats retarded. they have a team mostly made up of great players with no ego's. theyre not a team that attracts free agents. so why not pay the people you're lucky enough to have in the first place.

give these guys whatever they want. make moves through smart trades and picks...

dumping your solid roster to get cap space will just bring in another hedo turkoglu idiot or some other bum theyre gonna over pay to get

i'd match lowry on whatever another team offers
I agree with that, but lowry can be the next JR smith, in the sense he gets a big deal than diminishes back to him former self. To me all signs are pointing to that, he decided to finally get into shape and drop those 20-30 pounds hes always had because its his CONTRACT year, he just wants to get paid. Sneaky little move none have noticed:pimp:

D-FENS
04-23-2014, 05:15 PM

Fudge outta here, eh!

Mugsy Bogues (washed up)
Mark Jackson (washed up)
Del Curry (washed up)
Hedo Turkoglu (was terrible, fat pizza eater)
Rafer Alston (overrated and over paid)
Linas Kleiza (was terrible)
Landry Fields (totally overpaid - big time backfire)

Those are the top free agent signings in Raptor history, haha.

Clyde
04-23-2014, 05:16 PM
retarded country

:facepalm

D-FENS
04-23-2014, 05:17 PM
:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
Players dont get double taxed thats just a bogus excuse by players? Boring ass city? Have you ever been there?:biggums: :biggums: :biggums: :biggums:
Im sure the players can afford a low end heater too in these oh so frozen winters lol

Bro, I live here for 3 months a year. I know players, they don't wanna be here. They do get double taxed unless they want to try and become Canadian citizens. They get taxed like mofos. Like 40% or so by the Canadian government, 39% from US fed, and depending on what state they declare as their home state some more there, too. I own a business in Boston, and it's 5.3% there from memory.

You know nothing bro, get an education

D-FENS
04-23-2014, 05:19 PM
the thing is... the nba season is spent during the winter anyway. so you have no time to enjoy sunny beaches regardless.. hardly a reason to choose your team based on weather..

during the offseason is when its nice out.

Bro, players care. It makes Miami, Houston, San Francisco, Orlando, LA, Phoenix and other southern cities much more enticing. A black man has no time for snow.

New York is an awesome market, but no one wants to sign there other than fake Jew Amare.

WTFdidNBAbigsGO
04-23-2014, 05:30 PM
Bro, I live here for 3 months a year. I know players, they don't wanna be here. They do get double taxed unless they want to try and become Canadian citizens. They get taxed like mofos. Like 40% or so by the Canadian government, 39% from US fed, and depending on what state they declare as their home state some more there, too. I own a business in Boston, and it's 5.3% there from memory.

dont bro me, if you dont know me first off...
I live here, oh not for 3 months, for my whole life....suck it :durantunimpressed::durantunimpressed:

D-FENS
04-23-2014, 05:39 PM
dont bro me, if you dont know me first off...
I live here, oh not for 3 months, for my whole life....suck it :durantunimpressed::durantunimpressed:

Sad day for you. :roll:

Clyde
04-23-2014, 05:42 PM
Bro, players care. It makes Miami, Houston, San Francisco, Orlando, LA, Phoenix and other southern cities much more enticing. A black man has no time for snow.

New York is an awesome market, but no one wants to sign there other than fake Jew Amare.

:wtf:

Wow, you sir are very ignorant.

Real14
04-23-2014, 05:44 PM
retarded country
yup that birth a bitch named Aubrey:lol

Clyde
04-23-2014, 05:45 PM
yup that birth a bitch named Aubrey:lol

??

Real14
04-23-2014, 05:47 PM
??
Drake tha fake man:lol

Clyde
04-23-2014, 05:48 PM
Drake tha fake man:lol

oh...ok.

ArbitraryWater
04-23-2014, 05:52 PM
kenneth answer to my pm!!

kamil
04-23-2014, 05:55 PM
I've never heard any star NBA player say or imply 'I wanna go play professional basketball in Toronto.'

Dude's aren't coming to Toronto for similar reasons as Steve Francis didn't want to go to Vancouver.

The_Night_Elf
04-23-2014, 06:22 PM
A lot of players don't want to come to Toronto but most of the reasons mentioned would go out the window if the franchise can be a constant winner. Weather, taxes, and all that crap goes out the window if the Raps are seen as winners. Remember the clips were not exactly a desired destination until recently as well.

kamil
04-23-2014, 06:24 PM
A lot of players don't want to come to Toronto but most of the reasons mentioned would go out the window if the franchise can be a constant winner. Weather, taxes, and all that crap goes out the window if the Raps are seen as winners. Remember the clips were not exactly a desired destination until recently as well.

LA vs. Toronto is gigantic difference. Between two shitty teams I'd easily go play for the Clippers over Toronto. A better comparison would be something like Milwaukee (if they had a winning team) and Toronto.

bballnoob1192
04-23-2014, 06:41 PM
people also don't want to live in oklahoma or any of the other myriad of shitty ass states/cities that have sport teams, but they get paid enough or the team is great it will attract anyone. plus these dude prolly all have houses in popular locations for the summer anyways

The_Night_Elf
04-23-2014, 06:50 PM
LA vs. Toronto is gigantic difference. Between two shitty teams I'd easily go play for the Clippers over Toronto. A better comparison would be something like Milwaukee (if they had a winning team) and Toronto.

I used LA because the perception is that it is an ideal city to play for and not a lot of players have hangups about playing in LA rather than Toronto but it still didn't get a lot of free agents...though maybe ownership didn't even let them try.

RedBlackAttack
04-23-2014, 06:54 PM
Keeping your team's salary in check and flexible is a good thing for a franchise. This isn't Major League Baseball. You're not going to just spend yourself into relevance. Ask the Knicks.

Toronto has a nice young team with cap flexibility going forward... exactly what you want.

NumberSix
04-23-2014, 07:12 PM
I used LA because the perception is that it is an ideal city to play for and not a lot of players have hangups about playing in LA rather than Toronto but it still didn't get a lot of free agents...though maybe ownership didn't even let them try.
California and Florida are ideal because most players live there in the offseason anyway.

FKAri
04-23-2014, 07:32 PM
lol @ boring city. Weather probably plays a small part. Reliable/trustworthy management plays a bigger part. But the most important reason is TAXES.

MC Gusto
04-23-2014, 07:35 PM

But the Landry Fields contract was a botched attempt at forcing the Knicks' hand to match because they were trying to get Steve Nash. Toronto didn't really want Landry Fields, it was just a dumb ass attempt to call the Knicks' bluff that backfired.

It's A VC3!!!
04-23-2014, 07:46 PM
If the Raptors don't re-sign Lowry they can expect to be at the bottom of the Atlantic next season. He was arguably their best player since he is a two dimensional player and great point guards are very important to have. Free agents still don't want to go to Canada so it's going to be difficult to tell a superstar "come to Canada to play with DeRozan". They have a difficult decision to make this summer. Over-pay on Lowry or let him walk.

eliteballer
04-23-2014, 10:02 PM
It's not the 3rd biggest. Chicago is a bigger metro. You look at metro, not city population for market size.

NauruDude
04-23-2014, 10:11 PM
Actually the 4th largest market in North America, but Mexico City doesn't have an nba team.

most racist thing about nba why does mexico city not have nba team? Mexico Asteks

MMM
04-23-2014, 10:13 PM
The ownership is not spending because they are more interested in profits than winning. They decided don't have the same desire to win as LAL, Miami, or BK

Talent
04-23-2014, 10:16 PM
Simple google search.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_American_metropolitan_areas_by_popul ation

Toronto is not 3rd it is 8th.

NumberSix
04-23-2014, 10:34 PM
most racist thing about nba why does mexico city not have nba team? Mexico Asteks
USA+Canada are both predominantly English speaking 1st world countries.

And there's nothing racist about it. There is no "Mexican" race.

missionman
04-23-2014, 11:01 PM

people need to get educated. There are tax treaties between the US and Canada that prevent double taxation - see an accountant if you dont want to be taxed $79,000(or $64,000 depending on what math you want to use) on your $100,000 of gross pay or just do a quick search on the internet. You don't need to become a Canadian citizen to avoid double taxation - get real. There must be a LOT of ignorant ex-pats out there if they are letting themselves get double-taxed. Do yourself a favour and just stay home in the US and earn yourself $40k in gross pay.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2012/11/26/taxing-blue-jays-marlins-and-other-pro-athletes/
This calculation shows that the impact on Jose Reyes playing in Toronto is $5MM from his $96MM - about 5% more tax NOT 100%. NO ATHLETE WOULD WORK IN CANADA IF THEY WERE DOUBLETAXED - there would be no professional sports teams in Canada.

I don't doubt that Americans don't want to work in the US because of taxes because taxes are higher in Canada, but its ignorance such as this that proliferates and exaggerates that tax situation.

Aside from having weather similar to Chicago, I don't know of many more cities in the US that have more to offer for entertainment than Toronto.

Get educated.