PDA

View Full Version : LaMarcus Aldridge proving why a mid range game is the lost art in the modern NBA.

russwest0
04-23-2014, 11:40 PM
Guys like James Harden do nothing but chuck 3's, get transition layups, and FT's in the regular season.... they get praise for being efficient and all of that...

but you get to the playoffs and you see why having a good mid range game is so important. Defenses are going to run everytime back, refs are (in some cases) less likely to give you touch fouls, defenders will close faster on 3pt shots...

LMA is playing like 2011 Dirk right now. Durant in the 2012 playoffs put up great stats lighting it up from the mid range. Kobe and Jordan are both considered two of the greatest mid range scorers ever and have a combined 11 rings...

So why do stat nerds still complain about the mid range shot not being efficient enough? Vs good defenses in the playoffs a mid range shot is sometimes all you're being given.

STATUTORY
04-23-2014, 11:41 PM
Daryl Morey brand of basketball is myopic and shallow

Johnny Jones
04-23-2014, 11:42 PM
:applause:

eklip
04-23-2014, 11:43 PM
Houston really don't know how defend jumpshooting PFs.

Dirk averaged 35/10/3 on 73% TS in 35 min in the last three games against Houston. Aldridge is putting up even better stats so far.

sammichoffate
Mid Range Game is always the lost art, that's why guys who've mastered it (Kobe, MJ) are as great as they are. If you have a reliable post/midrange game, you're basically guaranteed 15-18 points a night

STATUTORY
people don't understand that shooting percentage is entirely endgenous of your shot selection, when defense is tougher, you can't simply take "higher percentage" shots because they don't exist

Im Still Ballin
04-23-2014, 11:44 PM
This really is a horror match up for Houston

plowking
I'm officially willing to admit he is probably a better player than Bosh now, and ever at this point.

STATUTORY
This really is a horror match up for Houston
playoff games is a horrible matchup for harden's playstyle

the opposing team is interchangeable

IncarceratedBob
04-23-2014, 11:45 PM
Melo has the best mid range game in the NBA

sammichoffate
04-23-2014, 11:45 PM
I'm officially willing to admit he is probably a better player than Bosh now, and ever at this point.The scary part is, he just came into his prime this year :bowdown:

Bobcats2013
04-23-2014, 11:47 PM
Poor Crockets.

plowking
04-23-2014, 11:48 PM
The scary part is, he just came into his prime this year :bowdown:

He is 28, although big men usually find their feet later in the league. He could have a nice stretch from 28-32.

I've been most impressed with his rebounding. He was always shocking at that part of the game considering his size. Now he actually appears to try, and use his size.

Cocaine80s
04-23-2014, 11:48 PM
Inb4 Snook A

Done_And_Done
04-23-2014, 11:49 PM
I'm officially willing to admit he is probably a better player than Bosh now, and ever at this point.

You've just admitted a dose of truth amigo...

Random_Guy
damn LMA is going ham. i cannot believe it but he is the number 1 powerforward in the league right now.

Trollsmasher
Can't believe I agree with OP's premise

JellyBean
04-23-2014, 11:55 PM
So true. The mid range is a lost art. We have a few players who can knock that shot down in this day an age. But it is a lost art.

RoseCity07
04-23-2014, 11:55 PM
Blazers need to bring back Batum. Lillard and Mo Williams is not a good line up.

riseagainst
04-24-2014, 12:04 AM
OP knows real basketball. Dunno why he's in the red.....

knicksman
04-24-2014, 12:09 AM
well this is the reason why lebron gets stopped in the playoffs and eventually cried for help by going to miami. But his dumbass fans thought he was great because of stats. :lol

SwishSquared
04-24-2014, 12:10 AM
Good defensive teams like to concede contested, long 2s (so the math says). If you happen to be an elite shooter and are comfortable shooting tough midrange Js, you'll put up points in playoff games vs. good defenses. The advanced metrics crowd loves layups, open corner 3s, and FTs because they have highest expected points as outcomes (the numbers show this is generally true). I think that's why the midrange game has been dying, along with everybody's desire to dunk during AAU years (and thus never develop this part of the game)

But when you have a guy with size, length, soft touch, and stays in the zone, he can't be stopped.

Great offense > great defense at end of the day. Gotta get buckets to win. You can tell Stotts told LMA to play like Dirk last offseason!

JebronLames
04-24-2014, 12:13 AM
Refs is why jordan and kobe won.

JebronLames
04-24-2014, 12:16 AM
well this is the reason why lebron gets stopped in the playoffs and eventually cried for help by going to miami. But his dumbass fans thought he was great because of stats. :lol
His second best player was mo Williams who is now portland's 6th best player. Portland is not even a contender.

knicksman
04-24-2014, 12:18 AM
and this is why kobe >lebron come playoffs time as reflected by the on/off +/- where kobe has 8.3 to lebron 7.7 and the gap becomes wider when paired with other all stars. Kobe + 10 to lebron 2.8.. LOL Only idiots think lebron is better because of stats when what matters is who is the best at making tough shots. Jordan only averaged 3 apg in his 2nd 3peat yet is more impactful than lebron ever was.

Alan Ogg
04-24-2014, 12:19 AM
I like Aldridge, but he's getting overrated. Although he gives you a lot in other areas, he's a shot jacker. Took 20.6 fga/g to score only 23.2 ppg. Durant with the same amount of attempts averaged 9 more points a game for comparison.

Miller for 3
04-24-2014, 12:19 AM
Lebron won .12 rings when he developed a post up/mid range game. Dirk/Kobe/Garnett/Duncan/Parker all have killer mid range game and look at how many rings they have

Relinquish
04-24-2014, 12:39 AM
I like Aldridge, but he's getting overrated. Although he gives you a lot in other areas, he's a shot jacker. Took 20.6 fga/g to score only 23.2 ppg. Durant with the same amount of attempts averaged 9 more points a game for comparison.

Who the fvck cares... dude just put up 89 points in 2 games on 35/59 in the PLAYOFFS.

eliteballer
04-24-2014, 02:28 AM
:applause:

Marlo_Stanfield
04-24-2014, 02:32 AM
Honestly the last two games from LaMarcus were the most impressive stuff i have seen since Lebron entered his prime.
the way he just CARRIED his team over a much more talented squad was just mindboggling. how easy h made it look:bowdown: :bowdown:
no player outside of lebron had me as amazed as alridge the last two games:bowdown:

Threethrows
04-24-2014, 02:39 AM
I've tried explaining to people why Aldridge takes the shots he does even if it hurts his personal efficiency and how it's a good thing that he does it... some just don't get it.

A lot of newer basketball fans think TS% and eFG% are the end all be all. Floor spacing is a complete mystery to them.

Example:

First, you completely miss the point of those shots. Second, using Durant as a standard is a nice way to make any player look worse by comparison. Aldridge doesn't try to draw fouls a ton or shoot 3's so his points per shot aren't spectacular. It's the fact that he's as good as he is at the shots he does take that make it work. Stats are useless without context, and your posts pretty much ignored all relevant context. Aldridge forces teams to guard those long 2's and mid range shots because he's good enough to hit them at a good clip. For the shots he takes he is efficient. He takes those shots by design, it's not like he's just chucking up terrible shots because he likes to shoot. He's not JR Smith.

Djsonny
04-24-2014, 03:00 AM
I've tried explaining to people why Aldridge takes the shots he does even if it hurts his personal efficiency and how it's a good thing that he does it... some just don't get it.

A lot of newer basketball fans think TS% and eFG% are the end all be all. Floor spacing is a complete mystery to them.

Example:

First, you completely miss the point of those shots. Second, using Durant as a Standard is a nice way to make any player look worse by comparison. Aldridge doesn't try to draw fouls a ton or shoot 3's so his points per shot aren't spectacular. It's the fact that he's as good as he is at the shots he does take that make it work. Stats are useless without context, and your posts pretty much ignored all relevant context. Aldridge forces teams to guard those long 2's and mid range shots because he's good enough to hit them at a good clip. For the shots he takes he is efficient. He takes those shots by design, it's not like he's just chucking up terrible shots because he likes to shoot. He's not JR Smith.

Good call, his mid range shots are by design and thats the reason why they got terry slotts to develop it even more. He was the brain who designed the 2011 mavs offense, basically around dirk, who is another bad ass at the mid range. People have been saying lately that LA is playing like 2011 dirk, well theres a reason for that. If anyone who has ever had to defend against someone who can hit mid range shots, you have to respect it but when you get up close and they can drive past you, its a really tough player to defend. If you give them space they will pop a j, if you guard up close they blow by. Basically whats happening here, just mchale is too dumb to double

iBandwagon
04-24-2014, 03:13 AM
Great offense > great defense at end of the day. Gotta get buckets to win. You can tell Stotts told LMA to play like Dirk last offseason!

Although I agree with your "great offense > great defense" premise, Aldridge is playing "Great offense > Bad defense." Man to man is obviously not working on him, McHale needs to switch up something on D. He needs to send well timed doubles and have his player ready to rotate.

Harison
04-24-2014, 03:18 AM
damn LMA is going ham. i cannot believe it but he is the number 1 powerforward in the league right now.

This. I knew LMA is good, but THIS good in the Playoffs against a solid team and allegedly DPOY level Dwight? :applause:

SCdac
04-24-2014, 03:20 AM
People forget that Karl Malone and Tim Duncan also utilized midrange jumpers to a very high degree. Kevin Garnett too, Chris Webber, Pau Gasol, Kevin McHale . That shot from a PF didn't start happening just recently. Aldridge is a beast and glad to see he's flourishing in the playoffs. It helps to have range as a big man who can also do work in the post and in the paint!

becken
04-24-2014, 05:38 AM
:wtf: :wtf:

Im Still Ballin
04-24-2014, 05:42 AM
playoff games is a horrible matchup for harden's playstyle

the opposing team is interchangeable

that but also they dont have a PF that can guard LMA

Angel Face
04-24-2014, 05:45 AM
Mid Range game is sexy. It's so great seeing someone working on mid range. Most players offensive move today is either drive to the basket or chuck 3s.

Post game and mid range game = ART :bowdown:

Im Still Ballin
04-24-2014, 05:48 AM
Mid Range game is sexy. It's so great seeing someone working on mid range. Most players offensive move today is either drive to the basket or chuck 3s.

Post game and mid range game = ART :bowdown:

its true !

What i love about guys like Lebron and Lamarcus !

becken
04-24-2014, 05:54 AM
Can't believe I agree with OP's premise

becken
04-24-2014, 05:54 AM
Poor Crockets.
:rockon: