PDA

View Full Version : 5-8 seed upset 1-4 seed first and last time ever

Mrofir
04-25-2014, 12:26 AM
I almost posted this thread a few days ago before the playoffs started -- I should have.

It's terribly unlikely but clearly if it's ever going to happen, this might be the year. I'm talking about the western conference.

Mavs upset Spurs
Memphis upsets OKC
Warriors upset Clippers
Blazers destroy Dwight Howard

It's not impossible. It's more likely to happen this year than any year in the history of the universe. I'm assuming it's never happened. I won't bother even looking that one up. I'm wondering -- has it ever happened that 3 out of 4 of the bottom seeds won?

I'm wondering.. :biggums:

How CRAZY would that be. Please provide evidence of how crazy you believe it to be.

RoundMoundOfReb
04-25-2014, 12:27 AM
Clippers and Spurs will still win. Rockets will lose. OKC-Memphis is a toss-up.

russwest0
04-25-2014, 12:27 AM
And you mean to tell me we shouldn't roll with the top 16 teams in the playoffs :roll: :roll: :roll:

oh the horror
04-25-2014, 12:28 AM
Going into the playoffs in the west I said that any teams were capable of beating one another. There has been some shocks. But I wouldn't call it "crazy" given the talent of the teams from 1-8

Mrofir
04-25-2014, 12:30 AM
I'll take this opportunity to plug my personal fix -- NBA I know you're reading this. DO NOT GO TO 16 team playoffs.

It's called the 6+2

Ah fk it. I don't feel like explaining my system again. If anyone's interested I'll do it.

Bla.

RoundMoundOfReb
04-25-2014, 12:30 AM
And you mean to tell me we shouldn't roll with the top 16 teams in the playoffs :roll: :roll: :roll:

Agreed but it's more complicated than that since they would have to change the scheduling so every team plays each other relatively equally but then some teams would get screwed with long ass road trips, etc..

Trollsmasher
04-25-2014, 12:32 AM
With an exception of the Heat, the same is happening in the East.

Mrofir
04-25-2014, 12:34 AM
Agreed but it's more complicated than that since they would have to change the scheduling so every team plays each other relatively equally but then some teams would get screwed with long ass road trips, etc..

Alright screw it

THE 6+2:

1) no changes to schedule.

2) top 6 from each conference make the playoffs.

3) There are 4 wild card playoff births league-wide. The best 4 remaining records are in.

4) If the split of the 4 wildcards 2-2 from each conference, nothing changes.

5) If it is 3-1 or 4-0, there is a random lottery and the 4 wildcards are randomly assigned a conference in which they will play as the 7 or 8 seed depending on their ranking among the "last 4".

FIXES EVERYTHING.

Does not disturb interconference rivalries.

Does not disturb the schedule.

It is the way to go.

MMM
04-25-2014, 12:35 AM
NBA playoffs resembles the usual NHL upsets
1, 3 and 4 in the East could be upset as well

Mr Exlax
04-25-2014, 12:36 AM
I think we finished with the same record as the Blazers so I wouldn't call our series an upset.

Mrofir
04-25-2014, 12:37 AM
upset or not, it would be the first time in league history that a conference gets flipped on its head.

Even if one conference doesn't completely flip, as people have pointed out, there could be as many as 7 lower seeds advancing to the 2nd round.

THAT IS NUTS

sammichoffate
04-25-2014, 12:38 AM
I think we finished with the same record as the Blazers so I wouldn't call our series an upset.Rockets were the heavy favorites going into the series though

Mr. Jabbar
04-25-2014, 12:41 AM
Mavs upset Spurs
Memphis upsets OKC
Warriors upset Clippers
Blazers destroy Dwight Howard

:lol :applause:

JordanL
04-25-2014, 01:35 AM
I think we finished with the same record as the Blazers so I wouldn't call our series an upset.

He didn't either. He called it destruction.

Leroy Jetson
04-25-2014, 02:14 AM
Alright screw it

THE 6+2:

1) no changes to schedule.

2) top 6 from each conference make the playoffs.

3) There are 4 wild card playoff births league-wide. The best 4 remaining records are in.

4) If the split of the 4 wildcards 2-2 from each conference, nothing changes.

5) If it is 3-1 or 4-0, there is a random lottery and the 4 wildcards are randomly assigned a conference in which they will play as the 7 or 8 seed depending on their ranking among the "last 4".

FIXES EVERYTHING.

Does not disturb interconference rivalries.

Does not disturb the schedule.

It is the way to go.

That's actually really smart, best solution I have heard. :applause: I think the Heat would be facing the Grizzlies in your system, much better challenge for Lebron.

Mrofir
04-25-2014, 02:17 AM
That's actually really smart, best solution I have heard. :applause: I think the Heat would be facing the Suns in your system, much better challenge for Lebron.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

I'm so excited someone noticed my idea! I think you are person number two but I swear I've posted it like 400 times.

Mrofir
04-25-2014, 02:19 AM
I think the Heat would be facing the Grizzlies in your system, much better challenge for Lebron.

Yes yes and it would have created a situation where Minnesota was actually competing with the bottom of the EC for that last spot

Amar'e_Juwanna
04-25-2014, 02:22 AM
NBA playoffs resembles the usual NHL upsets
1, 3 and 4 in the East could be upset as well

f.u.c.k the flyers

Mrofir
04-25-2014, 02:23 AM
f.u.c.k the flyers

John Harvards

Amar'e_Juwanna
04-25-2014, 03:19 AM
John Harvards

had to look that up. long island is a long island. are you a flyers fan challenging me to a fight at that bar? or are you a rangers fan inviting me to watch together?

Mr Exlax
04-25-2014, 03:29 AM
Rockets were the heavy favorites going into the series though

Heavy favorites? By who? They had to have been watching a different Rockets team than I was or was it cause Portland was looking bad?

Relinquish
04-25-2014, 05:22 AM
Having the conference discrepancy is good for the league. It makes it so the top seeds aren't coasting to the conference finals and instead have a chance of being upset. It's far more interesting that way. This is one reason people like the NFL more, since people love to root for cinderella teams, whereas in the NBA there rarely are any.

Doranku
04-25-2014, 05:35 AM
Having the conference discrepancy is good for the league. It makes it so the top seeds aren't coasting to the conference finals and instead have a chance of being upset. It's far more interesting that way. This is one reason people like the NFL more, since people love to root for cinderella teams, whereas in the NBA there rarely are any.
http://www.herpinkjersey.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Miami-Heat-Championship-Rings-2-.jpg