PDA

View Full Version : Defense is why Curry will NEVER be better than CP

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
04-25-2014, 01:28 AM
That nikka play none of it:lol :lol they puttin him on Reddick and Reddick goin off like he got a red dck:lol :lol :lol :lol
CP3 gamewinning defense:applause: :applause:

notatop29pg
04-25-2014, 01:29 AM
I feel for Klay Thompson. Everyone beats up on him but he's always the one guarding the opposing pg while Curry hides in the corner.

toooo
04-25-2014, 01:30 AM
Curry is a liability on D. Srs.

wagexslave
04-25-2014, 03:03 AM
Both of them are overrated.

Amar'e_Juwanna
04-25-2014, 03:06 AM
I feel for Klay Thompson. Everyone beats up on him but he's always the one guarding the opposing pg while Curry hides in the corner.

thompson, batum, parsons, these the types of players i'd like to see on championship teams. instead we get superstars surrounded by shooting. its a numbers game. bah!

miggyme1
04-25-2014, 03:11 AM
If u can hit 30 footers with your eyes closed over 7 foot centers who really needs defense? Him playing defense isnt gonna make the warriors better for the simple fact it will sacrfice his offensive game and last time i checked warriors need points because their team as a whole has crappy defense.

But no curry isnt better than cp3.

notatop29pg
04-25-2014, 03:23 AM
As the leader of his team would Curry have taken it on himself to guard CP3 one on one had the situations been reversed on that last play?

Nope.

miggyme1
04-25-2014, 03:28 AM
As the leader of his team would Curry have taken it on himself to guard CP3 one on one had the situations been reversed on that last play?

Nope.

Players play the game
Coaches coach

If marc jackson wanted a bigger person on cp3 (which makes sense) who are u as the player to disagree? What if putting that bigger longer defender on cp3 wins u the game???

Doesnt matter cuz curry wasnt guarding him?? Get outta here

notatop29pg
04-25-2014, 03:42 AM
Players play the game
Coaches coach

If marc jackson wanted a bigger person on cp3 (which makes sense) who are u as the player to disagree? What if putting that bigger longer defender on cp3 wins u the game???

Doesnt matter cuz curry wasnt guarding him?? Get outta here

leaders step up and coaches step aside in those situations.

Barnes would be a better option to guard Steph. But CP3 took it on himself.

Amar'e_Juwanna
04-25-2014, 03:49 AM
leaders step up and coaches step aside in those situations.

Barnes would be a better option to guard Steph. But CP3 took it on himself.

meh. the idea of cp3 as some virtuous leader is bunk. the guy flops, scratches, nutshots, pulls hair, hes a guy who stops at nothing to win. he knows how to do it too, and gets away with it. the warriors have long rangy fast guards outside of curry and long rangy fast forwards. can't sacrifice the size. klay burned paul in the post.

notatop29pg
04-25-2014, 04:02 AM
meh. the idea of cp3 as some virtuous leader is bunk. the guy flops, scratches, nutshots, pulls hair, hes a guy who stops at nothing to win. he knows how to do it too, and gets away with it. the warriors have long rangy fast guards outside of curry and long rangy fast forwards. can't sacrifice the size. klay burned paul in the post.

Sounds like a description of pretty much every great small point guard.

Klay is about 2/13 on post ups against Paul this series. Meanwhile Curry is getting burnt by anyone he actually decides to guard. Which is the point of the thread.

Amar'e_Juwanna
04-25-2014, 04:07 AM
Sounds like a description of pretty much every great small point guard.

Klay is about 2/13 on post ups against Paul this series. Meanwhile Curry is getting burnt by anyone he actually decides to guard. Which is the point of the thread.

ill see the stats on the klay/paul post ups please.

Curry is not a good defender. just doesnt have good defensive instincts. He is good at some things, and has clearly spent his time honing those things rather than become a well rounded 2 way player. not to mention his time spent injured. much easier to practice shooting than full court playoff D with the injuries he's dealt with.

notatop29pg
04-25-2014, 04:12 AM
ill see the stats on the klay/paul post ups please.

Curry is not a good defender. just doesnt have good defensive instincts. He is good at some things, and has clearly spent his time honing those things rather than become a well rounded 2 way player. not to mention his time spent injured. much easier to practice shooting than full court playoff D with the injuries he's dealt with.

2/13 was my rough estimate from watching every second of the 3 games. Game 1 and 2 Paul stopped him on 2 or 3 straight post ups.

I don't know how to find those stats, but would be surprised if Klay has scored at better than 30% V Paul on post ups.

Dresta
04-25-2014, 04:35 AM
He's still a much better defender than Harden.

SwishSquared
04-25-2014, 10:38 AM
I saw Thompson score quite well against him last night in the post at times. No clue if those stats are available for free (does anybody know)? He has stopped Klay in fourth quarters though on some post-ups, which is absurd (surprisingly strong lower body). Thompson overall though is making Doc pay for trotting out line-ups with 3 guards.

If you're talking about the nut-shot he gave Julius Hodge in college, Hodge was talking trash about Paul's murdered grandfather. At least that is what he privately told people. CP3 lost his cool, but that was a bit over the line.

He did cheap shot Marc Gasol in last year's playoffs, but I have a hard time believing a 5'11" dude can pop a 7'0, 285 lb. big man so hard that he bends all the way over in pain with a shot to the midsection. No disputing flopping though lol. He's a sneaky kind of competitor in that he can do things to irritate other players/fans. Sure it's a bit dirty, but other guys have done so too.

Amar'e_Juwanna
04-25-2014, 02:51 PM
I have a hard time believing a 5'11" dude can pop a 7'0, 285 lb. big man so hard that he bends all the way over in pain with a shot to the midsection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bbt9I_LJtk

he runs into him full speed. Elbow to the gut can definitely double over a guy.

But i mostly agree. He's not the first to play like that, and he won't be the last. A guy from Australia made a point in another thread that to him, that style of sneaky/dirty/cagey/gamey play isn't a bad thing - theres respect for his battling in every way he can. i can understand that. soccer is floppy, and rugby is an incredibly dirty sport. the dirtiest, probably. hair pulling, nut shots, gut shots, those guys are crazy.

SwishSquared
04-25-2014, 06:59 PM

But i mostly agree. He's not the first to play like that, and he won't be the last. A guy from Australia made a point in another thread that to him, that style of sneaky/dirty/cagey/gamey play isn't a bad thing - theres respect for his battling in every way he can. i can understand that. soccer is floppy, and rugby is an incredibly dirty sport. the dirtiest, probably. hair pulling, nut shots, gut shots, those guys are crazy.
I remember watching the play last year when it happened and have seen the replays a bunch. I guess I think Marc was selling it too much (I still do). I get that CP3 popped him pretty good, but I doubt Z-Bo would react that way, if that makes sense.

The Gasol brothers know how to work it too, especially Big Spain. An underrated part of Marc' PnR defense is he knows how to use his hips to bump guys just so that it throws them off but isn't enough contact to warrant a foul (surprisingly effective, too. Zach Lowe made a point about it last season). It's not dirty, but sneaky. Bogut is also super sneaky with grabbing/holding dudes. It definitely has its merits. It's not "pure" sportsmanship but these guys are looking for every possible edge to win.

I agree about rugby- wholeeee different set of boundaries- a total lack of them hahah

mugiwara
04-25-2014, 09:20 PM

b
llol this is how people plat basketball in Australia. Bogut is the same.

notatop29pg
04-25-2014, 09:41 PM
b
llol this is how people plat basketball in Australia. Bogut is the same.

Its how every sport is played in Australia.

A foul for touching someone on the elbow? WTF?

TheImmortal
12-05-2015, 05:21 PM
:lol :lol :lol

warriorfan
12-05-2015, 05:29 PM
OP has been ghost as silk :lol

GrapeApe
12-05-2015, 06:14 PM
Well in OP's defense, Curry is still a negative defender, and I don't know if anyone envisioned him becoming so other-worldly on offense. He's shooting the ball at a level that is nearly defying human capabilities. That being said I've always thought Paul's defense was a bit overrated.

Ass Dan
12-06-2015, 12:24 AM
That nikka play none of it:lol :lol they puttin him on Reddick and Reddick goin off like he got a red dck:lol :lol :lol :lol
CP3 gamewinning defense:applause: :applause:

Shut the F*ck up.

I am a Clippers fan and Paul is an embarassment. He has NEVER won anything of note, he FLOPS, he WHINES, he has poisoned the Clippers attitude turning us into the biggest BlTCHFEST in the NBA.

He is a nice piece, but he is not all time ANYTHING, nor is he someone you can win with.

Curry is a MILLION TIMES BETTER than Paul in every aspect of the game except: FLOPPING, BlTCHING TO THE REFS, and POISONING THE LOCKERROOM.

Clips won't win with Paul, we need to cut bait and build around Blake, unless he too has been poisoned by Paul's whiny 'stewardship'.