PDA

View Full Version : Big men stepping up, chuckers being exposed

Graviton
04-25-2014, 01:37 AM
These playoffs showing us who matters most in basketball.

One one hand we got Curry, Westbrook, Durant, Harden trying to win games by jacking up 3s, on the other we have Griffin, Aldridge, Z-Bo, Gasol carrying teams with actual impact.

We all see how useless these perimeter players are when their shot isn't falling, but a big man is always a positive on your team. Can't believe I fell for all the hype during the regular season.

Perimeter players = Kings of regular season
Bigs = Gods of the playoffs
Lebron = Best of both worlds.

Mr. Jabbar
04-25-2014, 01:39 AM

One one hand we got Curry, Westbrook, Durant, Harden trying to win games by jacking up 3s, on the other we have Griffin, Aldridge, Z-Bo, Gasol carrying teams with actual impact.

We all see how useless these perimeter players are when their shot isn't falling, but a big man is always a positive on your team. Can't believe I fell for all the hype during the regular season.

yeah, lebron called the best of both worlds

Akrazotile
04-25-2014, 01:39 AM

Hey, better late than never. Welcome aboard, bud. :cheers:

Cocaine80s
04-25-2014, 01:49 AM
What about hibbert?

Graviton
04-25-2014, 01:59 AM
What about hibbert?
Hibbert isn't a big man, he is Kendrick Perkins stuck in a bigger body.

Black and White
04-25-2014, 02:05 AM
We all knew Harden was a fraud, he was always going to get exposed playing no D and ballhogging like that.

Graviton
04-25-2014, 02:08 AM
LeBron is a big man in people terms, in NBA terms he wouldn't be considered a big. So I don't know why he'd be considered best of both worlds. Some of the best players of all-time in the playoffs were guards, namely the best to ever do it.
Lebron scores inside, posts up, guards opposing bigs at times, defends the perimeter and the post. He is a Point Forward.

MJ wasn't like the chuckers of today, he posted up, had fadeaways, had postgame, he was a guard with big man skills and athleticism.

SamuraiSWISH
04-25-2014, 02:15 AM
Lebron scores inside, posts up, guards opposing bigs at times, defends the perimeter and the post. He is a Point Forward.
I don't consider Small "Point" Forwards to be bigs, it's just my view point on it.

LeBron is a big guy, but LeBron plays like a PG more than anything. He has post up abilities. But he doesn't make his living exclusively on the low, or even high block.

So I don't consider him a "big man" ... a BIG to me is someone who exclusively does damage inside from the elbow inwards.

It's not about height, because KD is like 6'10 and he plays exclusively like a shooting guard. We'll just agree to disagree, bro.

LONGTIME
04-25-2014, 02:24 AM
It's not about height, because KD is like 6'10 and he plays exclusively like a shooting guard.

And that's his problem, he shouldn't. He needs to play in the post, he should be punishing Tony Allen.

Marlo_Stanfield
04-25-2014, 02:25 AM
LeBron is a big man in people terms, in NBA terms he wouldn't be considered a big. So I don't know why he'd be considered best of both worlds. Some of the best players of all-time in the playoffs were guards, namely the best to ever do it.
Wilt chamberlain and Magic Johnson were both big men, stop being so damn salty:coleman: :coleman:

Amar'e_Juwanna
04-25-2014, 02:26 AM
Teague torching the bigger Pacers, Lowry torching the bigger Nets, your hypothesis isn't always true. System is just as important as position/size.

Akrazotile
04-25-2014, 02:27 AM
I don't consider Small "Point" Forwards to be bigs, it's just my view point on it.

LeBron is a big guy, but LeBron plays like a PG more than anything. He has post up abilities. But he doesn't make his living exclusively on the low, or even high block.

So I don't consider him a "big man" ... a BIG to me is someone who exclusively does damage inside from the elbow inwards.

It's not about height, because KD is like 6'10 and he plays exclusively like a shooting guard. We'll just agree to disagree, bro.

But what makes him so effective is that when he slashes, he's not as likely to get blocked at the rim like a regular sized point guard.

He's got the handles of a pg, but he's literally the same size as most PF's in the league. So he's basically impossible to stop in the paint. He's a freight train.

Graviton
04-25-2014, 02:27 AM

Well that's what a hybrid is, best of both worlds but not an expert in each. He has tools a PG has, and some tools a big has. He is like 60% PG, 40% PF, not 100% big.

SamuraiSWISH
04-25-2014, 02:28 AM
Well that's what a hybrid is, best of both worlds but not an expert in each. He has tools a PG has, and some tools a big has. He is like 60% PG, 40% PF, not 100% big.
Fair enough, you're right.

Graviton
04-25-2014, 02:29 AM
Teague torching the bigger Pacers, Lowry torching the bigger Nets, your hypothesis isn't always true. System is just as important as position/size.
Those guys don't chuck 3s though. They are the exception.

Amar'e_Juwanna
04-25-2014, 02:31 AM
Those guys don't chuck 3s though. They are the exception.

Pero Antic and Paul Millsap are big guys that chuck 3's... like i said, the system is just as important.

Amar'e_Juwanna
04-25-2014, 02:32 AM
Fair enough, you're right.

said for the first time ever on ISH. That's it guys, we can all go home now.

Graviton
04-25-2014, 03:06 AM
Pero Antic and Paul Millsap are big guys that chuck 3's... like i said, the system is just as important.
Well the Scott Brooks system of ISO chucking obviously isn't going anywhere. It's up to the players to speak out, but they love to play hero ball afterall.

Amar'e_Juwanna
04-25-2014, 03:44 AM
ok so youre talking about durant.

troll thread exposed guys. you're welcome.

The-Legend-24
04-25-2014, 03:51 AM
OKC fans flip flopping like crazy.

One minute: "KD is goat" "KD > MJ"

Then: "KD is a choker" "Dude is never gonna win shit"

:oldlol:

MMM
04-25-2014, 03:54 AM
funny how most the non bigs are league manufactured.

Makes you think why people are so quick to put guys like Kobe, Bron, Wade ahead of guys like Dirk, KG, Duncan and Shaq.

Graviton
04-25-2014, 04:16 AM
ok so youre talking about durant.

troll thread exposed guys. you're welcome.
Mchale, Jackson are just as bad as Brooks, Scottie just stands out because he has the more talented players.

I am talking about whoever is chucking, and coincidentally they all have really bad coaches with no actual system in place.

Dresta
04-25-2014, 04:48 AM
funny how most the non bigs are league manufactured.

Makes you think why people are so quick to put guys like Kobe, Bron, Wade ahead of guys like Dirk, KG, Duncan and Shaq.
Are they? Definitely still rather have Duncan and Shaq (well, at least if he wasn't such a child) over any of those guys, but would definitely take all of them over KG, who has been a perennial playoff choker.

andremiller07
04-25-2014, 04:49 AM
You can add Nene to your list and Milsap also (who does shoot 3's but does most his good work inside)

MMM
04-25-2014, 04:52 AM
Are they? Definitely still rather have Duncan and Shaq (well, at least if he wasn't such a child) over any of those guys, but would definitely take all of them over KG, who has been a perennial playoff choker.

how much of a choker was KG when he had decent teams around him. If Old wash up KG was carrying teams deep into the playoffs imagine if he had the help that Kobe, Bron and even Wade had. Instead he spent most his career in an organization that pissed away 5 first round draft picks for Joe Freaking Smith.

Relinquish
04-25-2014, 05:26 AM
You can add Nene to your list and Milsap also (who does shoot 3's but does most his good work inside)

Nenasty :applause: :applause:

Dresta
04-25-2014, 06:00 AM
how much of a choker was KG when he had decent teams around him. If Old wash up KG was carrying teams deep into the playoffs imagine if he had the help that Kobe, Bron and even Wade had. Instead he spent most his career in an organization that pissed away 5 first round draft picks for Joe Freaking Smith.
While that is true, when he was making his deep playoff runs he was playing with two other guys who excelled down the stretch (whereas he usually shrank). And i cant overlook the significant drop off in his production during the playoffs whenever he's played more than a handful of games (with exception of 11-12, when he was playing a reduced role compared with before). Those other guys have raised their games for playoff runs, KG hasn't done that.

iBandwagon
04-25-2014, 06:19 AM

Don't forget Hibbert :lebronamazed:

finchyyy
04-25-2014, 06:32 AM
Harden is an embarrassment.

MMM
04-25-2014, 06:33 AM
While that is true, when he was making his deep playoff runs he was playing with two other guys who excelled down the stretch (whereas he usually shrank). And i cant overlook the significant drop off in his production during the playoffs whenever he's played more than a handful of games (with exception of 11-12, when he was playing a reduced role compared with before). Those other guys have raised their games for playoff runs, KG hasn't done that.

I'm aware KG didn't do it but my point was KG really never got the opportunity to do so in his prime but he did show he was capable despite being past his prime. If 32-35 year old KG is capable of carrying good teams deep in the playoffs than I don't think it is a stretch that a peak/prime KG could carry teams. Just a shame that he played for one of the worst organisations in modern organized sports while the NBA pushed the game to be more guard oriented.

Sakkreth
04-25-2014, 06:41 AM

What does that even mean ? Bigger guards ? Sure, how is that relevant though ? Raptors bigs > Nets bigs. JV has been the best big in those series.

Amar'e_Juwanna
04-25-2014, 02:43 PM
What does that even mean ? Bigger guards ? Sure, how is that relevant though ? Raptors bigs > Nets bigs. JV has been the best big in those series.

Lowry is still the focal point of the offense. His playmaking creates the opportunity for rebounding, which, along with good FT shooting, has determined this series so far. He sometimes shoots too many 3's but I don't think his style of play is being "exposed."

Plumlee has played very well, too. And technically Pierce has played the 4, he has outplayed Valanciunas.

Nets fan 93
04-25-2014, 03:26 PM
Lowry is still the focal point of the offense. His playmaking creates the opportunity for rebounding, which, along with good FT shooting, has determined this series so far. He sometimes shoots too many 3's but I don't think his style of play is being "exposed."

Plumlee has played very well, too. And technically Pierce has played the 4, he has outplayed Valanciunas.
Pierce just went 2/11 and helped the nets get out-rebounded by 20+.

Amar'e_Juwanna
04-25-2014, 04:11 PM
Pierce just went 2/11 and helped the nets get out-rebounded by 20+.

also went ham game 1

Rocketswin2013
04-25-2014, 04:19 PM
This is why I've been saying Howard is better than Harden. And if Harden would have just halfway shown up, we would be up 2-0 right now despite Aldridge's run.

And another reason why KD may never be able to dominate like he should in the postseason. He is not stronger than Tony Allen. And I mean that. He may never be able to break out and stop playing so finesse and hit the post.

oarabbus
04-25-2014, 04:20 PM
This is why I've been saying Howard is better than Harde. And if Harden would have just halfway shown up, we would be up 2-0 right now despite Aldridge's run.

And another reason why KD may never be able to dominate like he should in the postseason. He is not stronger than Tony Allen. And I mean that. He may never be able to break out and stop playing so finesse and hit the post.

People really thought Harden was better than Dwight? :biggums:

Harden is a 1-way player, Dwight is a 1.5-way player and a big man. (Well Dwight has been a 2-way guy this postseason)

Dwight >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Harden

dubeta
04-25-2014, 09:06 PM
So OP is basically saying the bigger you are, the easier it is to score? who would've known? :confusedshrug:

DwnShft2Xcelr8
04-25-2014, 09:50 PM
And that's his problem, he shouldn't. He needs to play in the post, he should be punishing Tony Allen.

You do know you're talking about Kevin "I-really-only-weigh-110-lbs" Durant, right?