PDA

View Full Version : Lettuce be real...LeBron and KD need to post up much more often.

fpliii
04-25-2014, 01:49 PM
Both are huge mismatches down low, and by the numbers they're incredibly effective when they go to the well.

C'mon Spo and Brooks. :facepalm

Rose'sACL
04-25-2014, 01:51 PM
Both are huge mismatches down low, and by the numbers they're incredibly effective when they go to the well.

C'mon Spo and Brooks. :facepalm
lebron does post up as soon as there is a mismatch and passes only when he is double teamed. watch more games.

navy
04-25-2014, 01:54 PM
The problem with posting up is that takes time out the shot clock and your teammates start standing around.

The reason Durant hasnt been posting up is because they keep stealing the ball when they try it.

inclinerator
04-25-2014, 01:55 PM
wade is th e only other capable passer getting it to bran when bran does that seal move to seal his defender on the outside of the paint

tmacattack33
04-25-2014, 01:55 PM
Lebron's been posting a lot in the Charlotte series.

He doesn't really have a good fadeaway or anything, but he usually just spins around the defender and gets a layup or something.

LONGTIME
04-25-2014, 01:56 PM
Durant gets pushed around too much to post up consistently.

Natureland
04-25-2014, 01:58 PM
LeBron works in the post well enough, doesn't he? I don't really see anyone mentioning that as a problem...

But yes KD should be working down there more often. But...the lineups Brooks run don't really even encourage the spacing for him to do that. If he takes Allen down low, then Memphis will just double him. Of course he can make them pay by passing out to shooters, but I don't trust anyone in Brooks' current playoffs rotation to burn MEM for doing that. Maybe if someone like Lamb would get some burn...

Oh and a few people above mentioned it but the fact of the matter is he's still not strong enough to do it regularly anyway. Getting stronger and working more in the post should be his summer goals.

ImKobe
04-25-2014, 01:58 PM
Lebron & KD are both also very effective in the post, but settle for long jumpers quite too often in crunch time.

Though Lebron really doesn't need to post more because of the weak competition in the East. KD should really play in the post more, he's very effective (I think he was 2nd behind Kobe in 2013, not sure about this year).

fpliii
04-25-2014, 01:59 PM
lebron does post up as soon as there is a mismatch and passes only when he is double teamed. watch more games.
I haven't watched as much of Miami as I did the last few years (probably only 20ish games this year), but I think he needs to set up on the block earlier in the possession rather than getting involved with bringing the ball up or initiating the offense from the top of the key (which he unquestionably does a ton). Half of the battle down there is getting into position, and if he gets there early he will be able to dictate mismatches rather than just taking advantages of them.

I've seen him pass out to shooters from double teams, but I would like to see the ball come back to him so he can re-post after the kick out more often. Makes the offense more unpredictable (not that it isn't already).

fpliii
04-25-2014, 02:02 PM
Lebron's been posting a lot in the Charlotte series.

He doesn't really have a good fadeaway or anything, but he usually just spins around the defender and gets a layup or something.
His fadeaway isn't bad, depending on what kind of position he can get. His spin is a great counter though, I agree.

OT - His defensive intensive has been great this series too. Even though it's just Charlotte, I think it's safe to say that he was indeed coasting quite heavily this season.

ImKobe
04-25-2014, 02:02 PM
I haven't watched as much of Miami as I did the last few years (probably only 20ish games this year), but I think he needs to set up on the block earlier in the possession rather than getting involved with bringing the ball up or initiating the offense from the top of the key (which he unquestionably does a ton). Half of the battle down there is getting into position, and if he gets there early he will be able to dictate mismatches rather than just taking advantages of them.

I've seen him pass out to shooters from double teams, but I would like to see the ball come back to him so he can re-post after the kick out more often. Makes the offense more unpredictable (not that it isn't already).

I've watched about 20ish Heat games this season as well, and one thing I've noticed is that he doesn't bring the ball up as much as he used to. He actually does use the post a lot in some games and he gets many clean looks from the three in catch and shoot situations. It's partly why his efficiency has gone up these last two years. I usually see Chalmers or Wade bringing the ball up.

VengefulAngel
04-25-2014, 02:04 PM
His fadeaway isn't bad, depending on what kind of position he can get. His spin is a great counter though, I agree.

OT - His defensive intensive has been great this series too. Even though it's just Charlotte, I think it's safe to say that he was indeed coasting quite heavily this season.

Lebron is the best in the league at establishing deep post position, forcing switch's and being efficient in general.

fpliii
04-25-2014, 02:04 PM
The problem with posting up is that takes time out the shot clock and your teammates start standing around.

The reason Durant hasnt been posting up is because they keep stealing the ball when they try it.
True, I think you definitely do not want to break the offense, so finding a balance between isolations (because that's what a post up really is) and team plays is key.

With OKC in particular, I think it's be an improvement though over perimeter one-on-ones and the predictable (least that's how they seem now) over screening.

inclinerator
04-25-2014, 02:05 PM

his passers are incompetent and have no idea how to get the ball to him in the post, wade is the only capable one of doing it consistently

fpliii
04-25-2014, 02:05 PM
LeBron works in the post well enough, doesn't he? I don't really see anyone mentioning that as a problem...

But yes KD should be working down there more often. But...the lineups Brooks run don't really even encourage the spacing for him to do that. If he takes Allen down low, then Memphis will just double him. Of course he can make them pay by passing out to shooters, but I don't trust anyone in Brooks' current playoffs rotation to burn MEM for doing that. Maybe if someone like Lamb would get some burn...

Oh and a few people above mentioned it but the fact of the matter is he's still not strong enough to do it regularly anyway. Getting stronger and working more in the post should be his summer goals.
Do you think putting on the muscle/bulk would take away from the rest of his game?

fpliii
04-25-2014, 02:07 PM
I've watched about 20ish Heat games this season as well, and one thing I've noticed is that he doesn't bring the ball up as much as he used to. He actually does use the post a lot in some games and he gets many clean looks from the three in catch and shoot situations. It's partly why his efficiency has gone up these last two years. I usually see Chalmers or Wade bringing the ball up.
Off-ball he's improved in general tremendously, I agree. Maybe it's just selective memory, but even though he's not bringing it up as often, I still feel like he has done so a ton.

No complaints whatsoever with his play so far against Charlotte.

VengefulAngel
04-25-2014, 02:08 PM
his passers are incompetent and have no idea how to get the ball to him in the post, wade is the only capable one of doing it consistently

Its embarrassing at times and it clearly frustrates Lebron. I can remember countless times that they've completely missed Lebron and/or force a dreadful pass from a terrible angle.

fpliii
Do you trust Chalmers to get him the ball there?

inclinerator
Do you trust Chalmers to get him the ball there?
:roll:

K Xerxes
04-25-2014, 02:23 PM
James has become devastating in the post 1 vs 1. He pretty much demands a double team now, but I don't think the Heat have quite nailed down their spacing to hit the open man. And I agree that they don't re-post him enough. Fronting won't work because they swing the ball instantly to the top of the arc and hit James for an open layup. He's come a long way since 2011 tbh. It will be interesting to see how much he posts in the deeper rounds.

Durant is also really good at posting up in general, and I've seen him try to do it against Allen, but he can't establish his position enough to prevent a steal some of the time. His lack of physicality (and OKC's inability to throw a good entry pass) is a real problem so he's resorted to jacking up way too many threes.

VengefulAngel
04-25-2014, 02:36 PM
James has become devastating in the post 1 vs 1. He pretty much demands a double team now, but I don't think the Heat have quite nailed down their spacing to hit the open man. And I agree that they don't re-post him enough. Fronting won't work because they swing the ball instantly to the top of the arc and hit James for an open layup. He's come a long way since 2011 tbh. It will be interesting to see how much he posts in the deeper rounds.

Durant is also really good at posting up in general, and I've seen him try to do it against Allen, but he can't establish his position enough to prevent a steal some of the time. His lack of physicality (and OKC's inability to throw a good entry pass) is a real problem so he's resorted to jacking up way too many threes.

The problem for the opposition is that he has supreme court vision and is a great post passer. In the 2012 finals when Lebron was in the post OKC doubled off Mario Chalmers the same strategy was actually adopted by the Spurs with varying success.

La Frescobaldi
04-25-2014, 02:42 PM

time management very often requires eating time off the clock. Modern NBA coaches are pretty lame in that area.

Posting up is generally a better solution than dribbling off the clock on the perimeter because it's dangerous - it is an actual play in action instead of just a stopped ball. Cutters can wear down a little more of the defense, open shots develop, etc.

Durant is getting the ball stolen because he's shook by the Grizzlies' defense

Natureland
04-25-2014, 03:10 PM
Do you think putting on the muscle/bulk would take away from the rest of his game?
Bulking up some won't take away his height, and that's ultimately his greatest advantage to me. He'll lose some speed, sure, but OKC having the option (and spacing) to just work through KD in the post is just too good to pass up.

KirbyPls
04-25-2014, 04:17 PM

GOAT doe. :lol

oarabbus
04-25-2014, 04:18 PM
Srs question: Is Blake or Lebron more deadly posting up?

russwest0
04-25-2014, 04:18 PM
By the time OKC sets into their "offense" there is often times only like 8 seconds on the clock. Usually they'll just iso KD or Westbrook from there, but it seems like 8 seconds isn't enough time for a post up because they'll just send a double team from the far side after the clock runs down a little, which will blow everything up.

KirbyPls
04-25-2014, 04:27 PM
Srs question: Is Blake or Lebron more deadly posting up?

Passing, scoring, or both?