PDA

View Full Version : Robert DeNiro in Raging Bull vs Daniel Day Lewis in There Will be Blood

1987_Lakers
04-25-2014, 03:48 PM
Which is the better performance?

D-FENS
04-25-2014, 03:51 PM
Can I choose Javier Bardem in No Country For Old Men?

I actually prefer De Niro in Taxi Driver - inspired performance.

cos88
04-25-2014, 04:01 PM

:applause:

deniro in raging bull is world-class acting, just something special

oarabbus
04-25-2014, 04:04 PM
Can I choose Javier Bardem in No Country For Old Men?

:applause:

Anyway, DeNiro.

There Will Be Blood is one of the most overrated movies of all time. DDL was fantastic, though.

Stempel, HERB
04-25-2014, 04:06 PM
There's only one type of person who makes threads like this. You might change up your approach every now and again, but this is what you do. The sort with shaky confidence who doesn't think they're at all interesting.

Take a look at the op. You're only interested in what other people think.

Why?

Are you going to save the replies for a time when you're out with your friends to give the appearance that you know what you're talking about? Tryhard doesn't work and it always ends up with some thin skinned loser going down in flames. It's not what you say that makes you interesting. It's the charm and charisma. This is why Maniak, Scholar, Fat's Montrash and those types have such bitter hard on for Bruinlove. He's exactly who they wish they were.

oarabbus
04-25-2014, 04:10 PM
There's only one type of person who makes threads like this. You might change up your approach every now and again, but this is what you do. The sort with shaky confidence who doesn't think they're at all interesting.

Why?

Are you going to save the replies for a time when you're out with your friends to give the appearance that you know what you're talking about? Tryhard doesn't work and it always ends up with some thin skinned loser going down in flames. It's not what you say that makes you interesting. It's the charm and charisma. This is why Maniak, Scholar, Fat's Montrash and those types have such bitter hard on for Bruinlove. He's exactly who they wish they were.

This guy does nothing but call people out :oldlol:

1987_Lakers
04-25-2014, 04:11 PM

Why?

What?:biggums:

Stop over analyzing stuff.

cos88
04-25-2014, 04:20 PM

Why?

:roll: good shit right here. that will teach op a lesson

Dresta
04-25-2014, 04:41 PM
DeNiro: better performance, much better film.

RedBlackAttack
04-25-2014, 04:44 PM
I'd put DeNiro's performances in Taxi Driver and The Deer Hunter over Raging Bull, FWIW. He was terrific in Raging Bull, but that film was a little more style than substance compared to the other two. Incredible cinematography and an innovative style, especially the first person stuff in the ring with the sweat/blood flying.

But, his portrayal of Jake LaMotta doesn't affect me as much as Michael in The Deer Hunter and Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver.

As for the question, DDL's performance in TWBB is maybe the greatest I've ever seen... so, I'll take him.

DonDadda59
04-25-2014, 04:51 PM
Sheeeeeeeit, that's a tough one. Definitely have those performances in my top 5 all time. If you held a gun to my head I'd probably go with Deniro as he had to transform his body drastically throughout filming- from the athletic, ripped championship boxer to the grossly overweight club owner. It took more of a commitment physically from Bobby D, but DDL is maniacal when it comes to the method approach so I'm sure he probably took 6 months to learn the old school oil business hands on. Both A class performances though.

I'd put DeNiro's performances in Taxi Driver and The Deer Hunter over Raging Bull, FWIW.

No way. If anything, his performance in Godfather 2 trumps those.

oarabbus
04-25-2014, 04:53 PM
Sheeeeeeeit, that's a tough one. Definitely have those performances in my top 5 all time. If you held a gun to my head I'd probably go with Deniro as he had to transform his body drastically throughout filming- from the athletic, ripped championship boxer to the grossly overweight club owner. It took more of a commitment physically from Bobby D, but DDL is maniacal when it comes to the method approach so I'm sure he probably took 6 months to learn the old school oil business hands on. Both A class performances though.

No way. If anything, his performance in Godfather 2 trumps those.

How about Christian Bale going from disgustingly emaciated in The Machinist (great film) to ultra ripped for Batman Begins?

JohnStarks
04-25-2014, 04:54 PM
Al Pacino-Carlito's way

DonDadda59
04-25-2014, 04:55 PM
How about Christian Bale going from disgustingly emaciated in The Machinist (great film) to ultra ripped for Batman Begins?

PEDs :lol

But seriously, I think Bale is massively overrated and a ham but his best quality is his ability to transform his body for roles.

oarabbus
04-25-2014, 05:00 PM
PEDs :lol

But seriously, I think Bale is massively overrated and a ham but his best quality is his ability to transform his body for roles.

Agreed. DeNiro and DDL are both of a higher caliber than Bale; however, Machinist -> BB was one of the most impressive things I've seen.

Dresta
04-25-2014, 05:10 PM
Sill think American Psycho was Bale's best performance - he made what was a thoroughly average book into a great film.

JohnStarks
04-25-2014, 05:20 PM
Sill think American Psycho was Bale's best performance - he made what was a thoroughly average book into a great film.

too bad the other 700 movies he made after that were pure diarrhea

KevinNYC
04-26-2014, 12:18 AM
I'd put DeNiro's performances in Taxi Driver and The Deer Hunter over Raging Bull, FWIW. He was terrific in Raging Bull, but that film was a little more style than substance compared to the other two. Incredible cinematography and an innovative style, especially the first person stuff in the ring with the sweat/blood flying.

But, his portrayal of Jake LaMotta doesn't affect me as much as Michael in The Deer Hunter and Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver.

Seriously? No substance in Raging Bull? It's a timeless story and perfect for ISH. Every little kid on here pretends to be an alpha male. Well Jake LaMotta was an alpha male and he found out it's a tragic life. The alpha male is not a hero. The relentless need to dominate is not a heroic virtue. It makes LaMotta great in the ring, but it also fuels his own destruction. Just as he brutalizes his opponents he can't turn that off in his relationships and ends up destroying his family and isolating himself. In this case the alpha male is a failed man.

I can't remember a single line from The Deer Hunter. I do remember scenes and images though.

JohnFreeman
04-26-2014, 12:29 AM
DDL

cos88
04-26-2014, 12:29 AM
I can't remember a single line from The Deer Hunter. I do remember scenes and images though.

how do you don't remember all of them singin' i love you baby :confusedshrug:

KingBeasley08
04-26-2014, 12:30 AM
De Niro. Lewis is one of the greats but I don't think he's the GOAT like a lot of people seem to think

Legends66NBA7
04-26-2014, 12:31 AM
I'd say DeNiro as well.

I would say his performance in Cape Fear is underrated.

KevinNYC
04-26-2014, 12:38 AM
how do you don't remember all of them singin' i love you baby :confusedshrug:

Yeah, but I know that song, Can't Take My Eyes Off of You and could sing all the lyrics before I saw the movie. And if I ever see the new Clint Eastwood movie on Franki Valli, I'll know it in that movie too, but it's not original dialogue.

I one line of dialogue, I remember was in a language I don't speak.

Patrick Chewing
04-26-2014, 01:13 AM
DDL hands down. The man is the greatest actor of this generation right now.

These two scenes were so powerful:

http://www.celebquote.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/tumblr_m7l8bppv0p1rtzlzf-1.gif

http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8jipxZoJV1rvn6njo1_500.gif

RedBlackAttack
04-26-2014, 02:09 AM
Seriously? No substance in Raging Bull? It's a timeless story and perfect for ISH. Every little kid on here pretends to be an alpha male. Well Jake LaMotta was an alpha male and he found out it's a tragic life. The alpha male is not a hero. The relentless need to dominate is not a heroic virtue. It makes LaMotta great in the ring, but it also fuels his own destruction. Just as he brutalizes his opponents he can't turn that off in his relationships and ends up destroying his family and isolating himself. In this case the alpha male is a failed man.

I didn't say Raging Bull had no substance. I said that I consider more style than substance when compared to the other two I mentioned.

I'm a boxing fanatic. Jake LaMotta's story is compelling and, obviously, it was expertly acted and directed. I love the movie, but for some different reasons than I love The Deer Hunter and Taxi Driver, which I felt relied more upon DeNiro's skill as an actor than Raging Bull. Now, having said that, those are two of my favorite movies of all-time, so comparing almost any other film to them is going to come up way short.

Raging Bull isn't way short and in fact -- like I pointed out-- it does some things even better. The cinematography is pretty much perfect.

But, acting wise, I prefer DeNiro in The Deer Hunter and Taxi Driver.

I do believe DDL may be the greatest film actor whose ever lived, btw. He's a force of nature on the screen.

JohnFreeman
04-26-2014, 02:15 AM
http://img.pandawhale.com/56527-I-drink-your-milkshake-gif-LCzF.gif

Ball So Harden
04-26-2014, 07:08 AM
DDL

Dresta
04-26-2014, 09:15 AM

'i do 3 bullets, 3!'? Unforgettable line.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__RpFav124wI/TF1lEmkbkLI/AAAAAAAABNI/pj8tJ8J4QqE/s1600/deer+.jpg

De Niro was great in Deer Hunter, but Christopher Walken's performance was just as good.

KevinNYC
04-26-2014, 12:19 PM
I didn't say Raging Bull had no substance. I said that I consider more style than substance when compared to the other two I mentioned.

I'm a boxing fanatic. Jake LaMotta's story is compelling and, obviously, it was expertly acted and directed. I love the movie, but for some different reasons than I love The Deer Hunter and Taxi Driver, which I felt relied more upon DeNiro's skill as an actor than Raging Bull. Now, having said that, those are two of my favorite movies of all-time, so comparing almost any other film to them is going to come up way short.

Raging Bull isn't way short and in fact -- like I pointed out-- it does some things even better. The cinematography is pretty much perfect.

But, acting wise, I prefer DeNiro in The Deer Hunter and Taxi Driver.

I do believe DDL may be the greatest film actor whose ever lived, btw. He's a force of nature on the screen.

I'm a giant Taxi Driver fan as well.

By the way, any one in NYC want to buy a 25th Anniversary Mean Streets Poster framed? Let me know.

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/n-ou1isn/ydriczk/products/82732/images/82315/mean_streets_25th_anniversary_poster__26766__85103 .1394512520.1280.1280.jpg

T_L_P
05-11-2015, 04:32 PM
Performance-wise, De Niro in Raging Bull > DDL in There Will be Blood.

RDN in The King of Comedy is the best performance by either actor, imo.

Yoshi
05-11-2015, 04:34 PM
DDL for me.